Thaumaturgical Ascendance; Sorcerous Essence

Hey @MountainMorus I have a question will the MC ever get some kind of magical animal or beast or just any kind of personal familiar?(maybe one that can talk or at least one as intelligent as any human or near human level of intelligence or just any kind of familiar ) Personal Familiar , Familiar Summoning , Familiar Manipulation , something kind of like these I guess just some YouTube videos that show some examples of a familiar contract and summoning
View: https://youtu.be/QeJ5TOkyx44 ,
View: https://youtu.be/C6Xo5V27n8w ,
View: https://youtu.be/YxAaLFD_riE ,
View: https://youtu.be/1mkZuGfLJk8

Last edited:
good story, I liked it. about protection against precogs in the angel series, one of the villains of season 5 used runes tattooed on his body to become invisible to all forms of clairvoyance, even superior and technological beings

Thank you, an interesting start.

Getting the ability to cross worlds could also be a way to find the item my benefactor desires, as there isn't many such possible artifacts in this universe.
Given sheer versatility and potential of the Arhmage essence a Shard can be 'updated' to use magic and act like an essence plus a lot of extra bits.

Becoming a Planeswalker is a possibility. I have no idea how to awaken a spark within me, but there's no reason for it to be impossible. I should definitly read up on them when I get long-term access to the internet, hopefully Magic the Gathering exists on either Bet or Aleph. Getting the ability to cross worlds could also be a way to find the item my benefactor desires, as there isn't many such possible artifacts in this universe.

Doubt it. The Spark essentially a fragment of the Blind Eternities, which make Planewalking possible, not a spell that can be made. You have better chance in learning the Second Magic Kaleidoscope than making a Spark.

Doubt it. The Spark essentially a fragment of the Blind Eternities, which make Planewalking possible, not a spell that can be made. You have better chance in learning the Second Magic Kaleidoscope than making a Spark.

That might be true if he only had the one magic system from mtg, but he has all the magic systems from everything ever and can mix and match them however he wants. In dungeons and dragons / pathfinder the plane shift spell is 7th circle, transports the entire party, and doesn't consume any rare or expensive material components.

Chapter 5 - Power testing
We got out of the van in a parking lot before Protectorate HQ.

Having only seen it from far away, I have underestimated the sheer size of the steel monoliths before me, the sun reflecting off of them, highlighting sharp edges. There are windows, but not many.

We came close to the metallic wall, and Militia put her hand on it, activating some mechanism, because in that moment a previously invisible gate opened with a hiss. Wow, that's some thick doors.

Inside, there's a wide hallway, with a dark carpet laid out. On both sides there are doors, and branching halls. For power testing, we went up some stairs, and through a corridor.

In the testing chamber, there are a few people in white lab coats, presumably waiting for me. Aside from them, several contraptions can be seen, some that I recognize - an example being a shooting range, and some I don't - likely advanced measuring machinery, or even tinkertech. Miss Militia leaves as soon as I'm inside, she's probably got a ton of things to do, with her being a known hero.

"Try to call on your power." said one of the analysts.

I complied, closing my eyes, feeling the well of strength burning within me.

I focused with the intent of calling the demonic magic of DXD, trying to emulate how it looked, and worked in the light novel. It felt unclean. I focused on the concept of holiness, of God and the meaning of religion, and applied it to the putrid energy. It stopped being unclean, having taken on a crystalline quality, how one would compare swamp water to a drinkable stream in the mountains.

With this mix of energies at the ready, I open my eyes and extend my hand towards one of multiple targets visible on a far wall. Compressing mana into the palm of my hand, I feel air becoming heavier around my arm. As energy condenses, gathers, the air around me shimmers.

I hear one of the people write something, but that's not what I am concentrated on.

I focus on the intent of creating a spear of light, and I see reality ripple, a completely white, stationary projectile forms beside me, buzzing lowly, crackling with power.

I imagine an astral bow, the act of pulling it with all my might, of aiming at the target.

Release.

With a sharp shriek the spear flew through the air, crossing the distance between me and the somewhat distant target in the blink of an eye.

The target is left with a hole in the middle, and the steel wall behind it has been punctured deep, though not entirely, as I don't see any light on the other end.

"Is this the quickest you can create those projectiles?" One of the analysts asks.

"No, now that I know the exact way I should focus to make them, it should be plenty easier, faster." Said my thoughts on the matter.

"Shoot at that blue rectangle, it's a force field. We don't want to have to repair too many walls." He pointed at what looked like a blue tinted glass pane, standing on what I earlier assumed to be an overly futuristic table.

And so I concentrated, and within a second fired the light spear. When it impacted, the field only shimmered, nothing else happened. One of the people present opened up a tablet, and read something.

"The TNT equivalent to the force of your blasts is around six kilograms. It isn't as destructive, because of the focused nature of the projectiles you produce."

I don't necessarily understand the meaning of the measurements, never been interested in explosives engineering.

Looking at the power field, I notice that it didn't break under my spell, is this a challenge?

"May I test my power to the limits with that force field? I feel like I can do more than just shoot spears of light."

"Alright, just let me up the durability." he clicked some things on his tablet, and gave me a thumbs up.

Turning to the offending glass pane, I position my arms in front of me, as if I was holding a basketball.

Reaching as deep as possible, I pull as much as it is possible of my inner fire to the space between my hands.

I design the projectile to be a white orb, the energy contained completely within, no chance of it exploding.

I focus on the concept of being unstoppable, and pour it on the ball of arcane might. Don't know if this will work, but my power is literally magic, so it may as well add something to the projectile. Why not.

Positioning my hands so that the projectile has room to fly, I shoot it.

It goes much more slowly than the spears, it's even possible to track its movement with the naked eye, as it continued on for a while.

As it hit, the force field shattered instantly. The projectile wasn't even slowed. Before it reached the wall, I willed it to disappear, and with a few seconds of effort, it dispersed, just before coming in contact.

The world around me fades to black for a moment, everything feels heavy, my head hurts. I stand still, breathing deeply with clenched teeth, and the feeling vanishes. That was scary.

But why did it happen? I still can feel plenty of mana in my body, my reserves aren't full, but they're very far from being depleted. What did I do wrong?

The only thing that was different, was the amount of energy I used, this was about thirty to forty times more than with the spears. Maybe that's the reason? My body can't withstand the amount of power circulating through it? That's a possible explanation, needs further testing. Not now though, don't want to repeat that experience any time soon. Seems I got caught up in the sheer joy of being able to cast real spells of my own make.

"...That was set to a hundred kilograms of TNT." I hear one of the people near me mutter. Completely forgot about their existence for a minute there.

"Could you explain what you mean by that? I don't understand the measurement system you're using."

"Ah. It means that your blast has more power stored within it, than a hundred kilograms of TNT could produce when detonated. Or, that much penetrating power."

"...Okay then." I still don't understand it completely, because of not having examples of how strong that amount of explosives is, but I will shut up about it now.

"Could you repeat that orb blast?" The force field is up again, it seems less transparent now.

"No, creating it made me dizzy, it's probably my limit for now." he notes something.

"Alright." His brows furrow, "In your interview with agent Thorns, you said it's possible to create shields of energy with your power, could you try that?"

"I can, but it may not be within my level of skill just yet."

So I concentrate once again, imagining that I want to create something that protects, instead of harms, attacks.

I focus on the concept of a shield, a blockade. Imbuing some of my mana with said idea, I direct it outwards, to a flattened shape. I use the same amount of power that went into one of my spears.

Opening my eyes, it seems that it was in my level of skill after all. Wonder if that's just because of my Essence boons, or if this magic is really so easy to grasp. Before my outstretched arm, there is a human sized disk of semi-transparent light.

"Hm, can you move it?"

I will it to change position, and it does after a brief moment of concentration.

"Move it under this machine." He points to what vaguely resembles a massively enlarged microscope. I put the shield where glass with some fluid would normally be, going with the comparison.

I hear a bang, and the shield breaks. I don't know what happened, but then, probably tinkertech.

"Did you use the same amount of power for the shield as for the white projectiles? It broke when subjected to force equivalent to six kilograms of TNT."

"Yes, I did." It seems that the durability of shields is the same as the damage potential of offensive spells with this mix of energies I made.

"Do you feel like you can do more with your power?"

"Maybe in the future new ways to use it will come to me, but for now that's all."

The analyst wrote and read something on his tablet.

"In that case, you may come here any day of the week from six PM to eight PM, for power experimentation."

"Thank you for the opportunity." I nodded. Official hours in which I may experiment with light powers, with access to a high-tech testing room, is a welcome boon.

I was about to say something more, but then I heard a rumbling. It's my stomach. I haven't eaten since coming here, and my physiological needs are making themselves known.

That is a bit embarrassing, but nonetheless I really should go and get something.

"Let's wrap it up for today then, and in case you're wondering, the cafeteria is at the end of that corridor." He walked out of the testing site, and pointed to the right in the hallway.

"Thanks, much appreciated."

I said my goodbyes, and immediately went to consume sustenance.

[A/N]: Sometimes a fanfic skips power testing, and that's the worst crime one can commit, this is very very interesting to read in my opinion, and I enjoyed reading the times it was conducted in fics. Writing it was a breeze as well. I think I understand how Brockton's Celestial Forge got so long now, but I doubt my fic will be as focused as BCF on the various abilities MC gets. That story was very interesting, but got a tad boring after a while.

That story was very interesting, but got a tad boring after a while.
At some point, after nth infodump in a row, I decided enough is enough even if I still like CBF well enough. Just felt like things got stretched out of proportion. Some plot points that could be closed in a chapter, got dragged thru 5 or 6 just because we get swarmed in enough magic or technobabble to fill a thin book.

At some point, after nth infodump in a row, I decided enough is enough even if I still like CBF well enough. Just felt like things got stretched out of proportion. Some plot points that could be closed in a chapter, got dragged thru 5 or 6 just because we get swarmed in enough magic or technobabble to fill a thin book.
I just tried it out again after a 2 month hiatus. They teased the fashion show for 4 chapters while also building up to the Kamui(?) surgery for 3 of those then did it in like a quarter of a chapter. There was a section of a chapter where he went to his therapist to externalize all the navel gazing he's already done. yeah, its crazy dragged out. Oh an Amy got an info dump chapter of whats been going on in the 4-5 days shes been in containment I guess the jerk the character off more and/or to let everyone remember whats happened in the last million words.

What do you mean? I genuinely don't understand your reply, the story isn't derailed, it's going as planned??

Sorry, I'm new to posting fanfiction on forums
They mean, we are derailing this thread by mentioning and discussing another story. Basically Rule 4: Don't Be Disruptive, I guess. A reminder which, as far as I'm seeing is not needed in the slightest in my personal opinion.

Basically, don't go on tangents about a story in another story's thread. This thread is for discussing this story.

Speaking of which, this one's moving pretty slow for my liking. Dude has the Essence of the Archmage and he basically just figured out Magic Missile and then had to take a nap. So far, this guy is extraordinarily underwhelming.

And not to be harsh, but the power testing wasn't even interesting. They set up a target, he blasted the target. This is just the most generic basic blaster testing one could come up with.

Yeah, it's a little interesting that he doesn't know how his own power works and has to manually shape its expressions, but maybe don't do power testing until you've, you know, got something to show them.

Basically, don't go on tangents about a story in another story's thread. This thread is for discussing this story.

Speaking of which, this one's moving pretty slow for my liking. Dude has the Essence of the Archmage and he basically just figured out Magic Missile and then had to take a nap. So far, this guy is extraordinarily underwhelming.

And not to be harsh, but the power testing wasn't even interesting. They set up a target, he blasted the target. This is just the most generic basic blaster testing one could come up with.

Yeah, it's a little interesting that he doesn't know how his own power works and has to manually shape its expressions, but maybe don't do power testing until you've, you know, got something to show them.

He knows the true potential of the Essence, he just doesn't want to show it to the world - don't worry, I am not uncreative, and if you stick with the story for some time you will probably find that as well. People think he's a basic blaster? Great. That is exactly what the future ultra-hacky omni-mage wants people to think.

If the story's moving too slow, then that's your preference, I'm having it go at this pace purposefully. It's just a pace that feels right for me, I don't want too much to be happening. There won't be lengthened peroids of stagnation either - a fight here and there, some psychological struggles, interpersonal relations, etc.. If there are objective issues with my pacing, please specify them, so I can do better with writing this story.

Last edited:
Sometimes a fanfic skips power testing, and that's the worst crime one can commit, this is very very interesting to read in my opinion, and I enjoyed reading the times it was conducted in fics.
People think he's a basic blaster? Great. That is exactly what the future ultra-hacky omni-mage wants people to think.
This here is your problem. By pacing issues people mean all the pointless scenes that don't show anything.

Power testing can be interesting, you can introduce major supporting characters, show hidden aspects of the perspective character, generate drama and intrigue, reveal important power facts early so you don't have to set them up later during action, establish a disconnect between what a power is and what people think it can do.

But this isn't that. Complaints about your pacing are rooted in the fact that the scene could have been a sentence and conveyed all the same narrative and characterisation and drama. "I went to power testing and figured out a light spear, larger light ball, and a shield; they're powerful, but not world class and we found no interesting or advanced uses for them" If the mc is actually hiding something, show it.

And don't pull the "i only accept objective criticism of my art" nonsense. Either you don't know what objective means and you're using it like a magic everything proof shield for commentary, or you do and you've created self moving goalposts to distract critics.

This here is your problem. By pacing issues people mean all the pointless scenes that don't show anything.

Power testing can be interesting, you can introduce major supporting characters, show hidden aspects of the perspective character, generate drama and intrigue, reveal important power facts early so you don't have to set them up later during action, establish a disconnect between what a power is and what people think it can do.

But this isn't that. Complaints about your pacing are rooted in the fact that the scene could have been a sentence and conveyed all the same narrative and characterisation and drama. "I went to power testing and figured out a light spear, larger light ball, and a shield; they're powerful, but not world class and we found no interesting or advanced uses for them" If the mc is actually hiding something, show it.

And don't pull the "i only accept objective criticism of my art" nonsense. Either you don't know what objective means and you're using it like a magic everything proof shield for commentary, or you do and you've created self moving goalposts to distract critics.
I am not using anything to do anything, just wanted to see if my story has actual issues, and thank you for pointing out that it does, but the way you wrote this, is unpleasant and you made me feel bad about my writing. (that is a personal complaint you are free to ignore it, discarding all emotions I am in fact grateful for the raw critique)

If you see any other objective issues, please tell me them as well, even though this is difficult for me to read, it is very welcome, i am trying my best to be a good writer, and what this fanfic is, is essentially my training.

I think if I'd added "other" before "subjective issues" in my earlier reply then this nasty misunderstanding would not have happened

Last edited:
Chapter 6 - Settling in
The spacious cafeteria was mostly empty, as it probably was too late for breakfast, and too early for dinner. That doesn't mean there wasn't decent food - I ate a chicken sandwich with a fresh salad on the side, and some quality tea. It is also possible that the food wasn't as good as I thought, but my hunger made it a delicious meal. That's all that matters.

Now I'm sitting here, satiated, thinking of what has happened up until this point in time.

It's still difficult to grasp that all of this is actually happening, that I have a chance to become something I've only ever fantasized about, that everything I see around me is real. It's difficult to describe, same as one cannot ever prepare for experiencing a never before felt emotion, no matter how much they imagine it would feel, no matter how much they assume with reason and logic.

The bread, seasoning of the meat, its texture, the crunchy salad. It's all real, same as the PRT, parahumans, Cauldron, Entities. Magic of mine. Even Jumpchain Protagonists, I snort.

I mustn't waste this opportunity.

My ultimate goal is to become infinite, reach my own balance, apart from the sad end of entropic eternity which all of existence seems to be heading towards. It's similar to the Entities' in a way, but not the same, as I hope to retain my humanity, keep being who I am, reach what all the random powerful beings, such as jumpers, planeswalkers, gamers, and other immortal wanderers have become. My benefactor is a great example - even though they've probably existed for countless millenia, they possess strikingly human qualities.

Getting the ability to cross between worlds will be a big step towards that, it will open up safer, more rewarding alternatives in which to gain power and arcane wisdom, instead of the unstable chaotic mess that the Wormverse is.

The other thing that will bring me closer to accomplishing the Ultimate Goal is getting a way to store my energy, so that I could direct it without bringing it within my fragile mortal body, for spells that normally would tear me to shreds, or even deplete my unbelievably large reserves. Maybe also give the batteries some primitive intelligence, or an elementary soul, so they could assist me by themselves, add their own magic to my spells, or even act as automatons, thaumic constructs that assist their creator.

And last, there isn't many places where I could make them, without being suspicious. I need a private space.

A space...?

Fairy Tail, Requip magic, specifically the Forge variant.

It has great potential - a pocket dimension, which I can manipulate from the outside to create stuff within? Yes, please.

Even if I don't know how exactly that variant worked, just knowing the mechanics of regular Requip magic should be enough to be able to modify it into my own version of the Forge.

Now, what to use for batteries? First thing that I imagine could be used like that, is Elder Scrolls' soul gems. Problem is, I have no idea how to make them, and it will be a while until I'm capable of travelling to Tamriel.

My train of thought is interrupted by someone trying to get my attention - a young man, saying something to me, standing beside my seat.

"...and guide you to your living quarters." I catch only the last words of what he said, but that's enough for me.

My living quarters? Seems this place's my home for now, then.

"Alright, lead the way." I stand up, and nod.

We go to the entrance of an apartment, he gives me a key, and a sheet of paper, before leaving.

There are five doors in my new place - one to the outside hallway, one to a small, but properly equipped bathroom, one to a kitchen with all the appliances a regular person may need; a small room in which there is a table, desktop computer, a few drawers, and a bookcase; lastly, a bedroom in which there is a TV, and a large bed, the floor decorated with a dark red carpet.

I doubt there are cameras everywhere, but it is still a real possibility, considering I am a 'newly triggered parahuman', who came to the PRT out of nowhere. Best not take my chances with showing my power even in this seemingly secluded space.

Reading what's on the paper that person gave me, it's a schedule - in an hour I have to go for a discussion on how my cape costume will look.

I personally would like it to be an even mix of the stereotypical mage garm and knightly armor - a cloak with a hood and long, but not too long, sleeves, a chestplate underneath it, heavy armor in places where it is most important, along with more prominent light armor. Basically what a battlemage would wear.

Said armor doesn't have to be any kind of metal of course, a tinkertech, light and durable material would be highly preferable; or even a mundane, modern composite would do better than medieval iron or steel.

-x-

I spent the following hour researching stuff on my new computer, it turned out that Magic the Gathering does exist in this reality, but also that becoming a Planeswalker will require a lot more effort than I previously assumed - The Blind Eternities exist only within the MtG multiverse, between wholly different verses there's a different kind of void most likely.

I came to this conclusion based on the fact that every single world has varying voids - there is no reason for the Eternities, through which Planeswalkers traverse, to be the same substance, or behave the same, as every single other space between dimensions.

Basically, I mustn't base my actions off information that may be false.

There's also the matter of how I'm going to be storing and directing my power, what the batteries are going to be, as access to Tamriel's promising Soul Gems won't be here for a long time still.

Any kind of solid material that can store a large amount of magic is welcome - this mindset is what lead me to thinking of the Magic Ore from Reincarnated as a Slime. It is regular ore, but saturated with magic to a high degree, should be quite simple to make, especially as both ingredients are accessible.

To get access to some ore without being suspicious, I could incorporate the ability to make it disappear to my official light powers, a niche capability to make raw ore vanish with a flash of light shouldn't give me too much attention. Of course, I'd have to withhold the true potential of Requip, but that's the case for the entirety of my power as well, isn't it?

It's settled then, during the next power testing session I will tell the analysts that making ore disappear may be possible.

Glancing at a clock I notice that it's nearing 1 pm, I should probably get going for the costume discussion.

-x-

Turns out the design I had in mind wasn't that bad, there were only a few minor tweaks here and there for better protection, ease of use, and to 'highlight the cloak', but overall I ended up with what I thought up earlier, the materials being highly durable, incorporating a small - for the time being - amount of a tinkertech metal alloy.

I was told it'll be ready in five to six days, and that my debut and introduction as a PRT cape will happen a week from now. At the end, I was given a cellphone, and a schedule of things to do in the meantime, a meeting with the other Protectorate parahumans, additional power testing hours, discussions with the PR branch to specify my public image, to give a few examples.

Nothing for today, I have the rest of the day free.

Yay.

Back