Summerfest 2023 Public Feedback Thread

Now that Summerfest has come to an end and the events are mostly wrapped up, we would like to hear your thoughts on how things went. This thread will be open to all users until the end of August and we welcome any and all comments and feedback.

Questions

While this is meant to be freeform, here are a list of guiding questions to help out:

- Were there any events you particularly liked or enjoyed? What did you like or enjoy about each event?

- How did you feel about the number and duration of events?

- Are there any events that you would like to see come back again next year?

- Is there anything that you think could have been done better?

- Do you have any ideas or suggestions for events you would like to see in future years?

I liked the event a lot. While I didn't participate in very much of it at all, I'd say that was more a lack of material and time on my part than the event itself not being attractive to me as a writer.

I also was able to read quite a few nice writing pieces that caught my interest from a number of the events as well.

I admittedly didn't read every entry for every thread I followed, or even every entry for the one I submitted stuff too, but that isn't me saying the event was bad. Just that I came at the content as stuff to try and see if it worked out a lot of the time.

The rotating prompt thread was an event I actually participated in, and I think it worked very nicely as a place to explore ideas. The low word count limit actually helped me with getting motivated to write when a prompt I could use came up, because I knew I couldn't go longer than where I usually reach with a quick idea.

I nearly attempted the underappreciated thread, but ultimately decided that my easier to post content was too old to fit the criteria, and a bit too much just a prompt itself. Still it got me to post that in my idea thread here and on SB.

The new story start thread was another I followed and liked a lot as an idea. I have a number of possible story ideas under development, and depending on how my active stories go I might take up that one if it returns again sometime.
Harder to say on that one, because my issue right now is being a bit stalled on my main fic that I still want to finish before I properly move onto something new, which is the big reason I didn't try to at least get something out for that before deadline.

I liked the event.

I didn't have time for most of it, so I just stuck to the RPG contest and tossed an old thing into the First Chapter contest, as they were most interesting to me. The Rotating Prompt and Underdog games were tempting, but I had no time.

The Constitution contest was not interesting to me. Just say no to politics.

Everyone loved the First Chapter contest. Dangling feedback to writers is like offering free beer or hugs. Or hugs with beer. Or a beer to hug.

The events overall seemed very ambitious. It might have needed a full month for the competitions and then two weeks to judge. Gives fans a natural start-end point and the judges extra time to avoid burn out. Poor judges worked hard.

Five events seems like plenty. Maybe space them out more?

Participation rewards were offered, but I don't think they were needed.

Next year, maybe an art competition? Poetry slam? I'd be happy with the same games again.
Edit: Haiku contest! Let's play in 2,000 words or less! Knock Knock joke contest!

Last edited:
I couldn't participate in all the events, partially cause of it happening to coincide when I had lots of stuff to do, but mostly cause I either couldn't come up with something for the event (the writing jam), or I just didn't have the know-how/experience for it (the rpg and constituent contest), but I still found those cool. My personal favorite though in terms of concept (as in of all the events, including the ones I didn't take part in) was the Underdog works, because I like giving love/fanwork to fandoms/franchises that don't receive as much of it, while in terms of participation (as in of the ones I took part in) was the first chapter contest because, unsurprisingly, the feedback...though unfortunately I couldn't participate more (as in, give feedback too) considering the timing, but still, yeah, really loved them.

Not sure what to think about the number of events since I just participate with whatever I myself can make time for and think of an idea for, but I think the duration for the ones I participated in were good lengths. At least, I didn't feel so rushed to the point of stressed despite my stacked plate but knew I still had to finish.

I'm not sure if I have any thoughts on what could be done better...maybe giving a time for how long it'll take for the judges to, well, judge, so that they don't feel rushed in reading and making judgements for so many entries like in the first chapter contest? Idk.

As for other event suggestions...
Maybe a character creation/sheet event? Or something? I'll admit I'm just thinking of (Fate/FGO) Servant sheets when I say that, but I'm also thinking of just character sheets in general like signing up for RPs or just what someone might have for their notes for their stories and fics. I also don't really have much in ideas for this.

Participation rewards were offered, but I don't think they were needed.

ok i feel kinda embarassed admitting that
I liked that the participatiin reward was there
Because it now feels kinda...I guess, superficial? Not sure how to word it...other than it looks so "selfish" or something compared to wanting feedback for one's writing or just wanting to write something for a fandom/franchise with not too many fanworks here.
But I did like it was there. Partially because the thought of getting the Meow reaction, even for a brief time, when I can't afford the subscription for various reasons (as otherwise i totally would be willing to, and that's saying something considering i usually wouldn't want to), and partially because it's like, if worse comes to worse and I didn't get any feedback like i usually expect with my writing, I get this neat subscription that lets me use a really neat reaction for a while.

Though maybe there should be some kind of... Ok I don't know the technical stuff that has to do with giving out those subs or something, all I know is: I feel bad for the ones with handing them out involved cause it seems like a lot of work to me (i mean, as of writing this, afaik, they haven't been handed out yet?) and maybe there's a way to ease off the load even with the huge participation numbers but I certainly can't think of something...
Maybe like. Have a dedicated team that is getting it all ready to give it when the event ends alongside the people actually running each event and their, if any, respective judges?
Idk
Again
Have no clue how it actually works
Just brainstorming I guess

Next year, maybe an art competition?

That'd be cool! Though I probably wouldn't participate in it for various reasons.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the Rotating Writing Prompt the most because it gave time to write short pieces without being under the gun too much and the rotating prompts forced me to into new material. I would have liked the time between prompts to be longer, but that is admittedly a personal preference.

The First Chapter Contest was fun to read through and had quite a few pieces I would like to see as quests or fiction. My only complaint would be the time period being longer, honestly.

The C5 Challenge judging was hilarious to sit in on and I found myself staying for the whole townhall on a Saturday, which says a lot.

Back