Stranded in the Light (CMGQ again)

Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

As infiltrators for the Unified Darkness, you were always aware that it could come to this. But when it did, you expected to find your escape route ready and waiting, not to have to improvise one yourself.
Introduction
A Magical Girl gathers a group of magical girls to confront a traitor…what a pity that she gathered you.

Begun when the Dark Star clashed with Fairies over morality, the Eternal War has raged for eight thousand years, swinging back and forth as more and more factions were dragged into its orbit.

Humanity is just the most recent of these additions, but between their Magical Girls and their technology, the war seems closer to its end than ever before. Just as the Akashic Pillar seemed poised to give the Unified Light the advantage for the first time since the Children of Nightmare entered the war, Thirteenth Hell launched a colossal assault on Elysium. With Hope's fall and the betrayal of half the Goddesses, the Unified Darkness are in position to bring down the Unified Light at last.

But that's nothing to be concerned with. You're on the winning side, after all. Whether somehow tempted in the time before Hope or flocking to its side in it's wake, you are among those Magical Girls who have turned to the Unified Darkness for aid. But as inevitable as your victory surely is, that doesn't mean you'll live to see it. And with your allegiance now revealed, your only hope of making it safely away is to do so together.

-----

Okay, I have somehow been tempted into doing this. Hopefully it will actually happen.

As a preliminary but important note: The CMGQ system is not newcomer-friendly. Most of the long-running people are happy to assist newcomers, but it will not be easy, especially because I've chosen to set this up in a way that requires more understanding than previous RPs. Do not expect to come up with a suitable submission immediately, just come up with a basic idea and ask people to help you with it.

As UD magical girls, it is extremely unlikely for you to be truly inexperienced. Due to this and my dissatisfaction with the BP system used by other RPs, I will be trying a new system of character creation here. Players will create and submit a complete or veteran sheet for their character, and then I will (with opportunities for player input) scale down levels and abilities to an appropriate starting level. If for whatever reason your "complete" sheet is below par, we'll just level it up and make shop options/upgrades. (If you are particularly new, that option is there specifically for you. Making level 1 sheets and then scaling them up is allowed.)

If you want an estimation of the level you'll be starting at, assume 5-10 levels and a reasonably cohesive kit. Theoretically, you should have more power than Truth or Hong but less than Carnage and Blue Sky, but this system's had enough power creep that's not the most reliable measure.

As far as specific restrictions go, no dimension shifting and don't go too far overboard. The immortality clause falls under going overboard, obviously.

If you are unfamiliar with the system, see the Basic Introduction to Character Sheets in the post below, then ask for help. Or go read other CMGQ stuff. Here's some quick resources:
Ability Bible - Contains every official weapon or spell ability. NOT personal abilities.
Starting stats for average Magical Girls by growth Affinity (Warning, Epic is bias.) -
Tome of Cosmos - CWMGQ Character Building Thread
Discord - it's kind of crazy sometimes, but it's the best way to access people and also where the OOC chat will be.

In addition to the usual mechanical options, I would like the following.
- A short description of why she is with the UD.

The following additions may increase your odds of being accepted:
- A soft-mechanics write-up of some kind.
- Helping me reach a balance between sympathetic and Actually the Worst characters.

I expect to end up accepting six submissions, but we all know it'll probably go up. I will make the final decisions when submissions are closed - submission order does not matter.

You may make any number of submissions, but must designate one as your actual submission. I'll try to answer questions about which one is better, though.

Submissions technically close whenever I feel like it, but I'll give warning at least a couple days ahead and will listen to requests to extend it. Expect a couple weeks.

Note that OOC chat will be on the CWMGQ Discord. It's kind of crazy sometimes, so feel free to mute the other channels.

Thank you to @Naron and @LostDeviljho for helping me set this up.

A Basic Introduction to Sheet Creation
A Basic Introduction to Sheet Creation

Important note: You do not have to do this in order. If you have no idea about something, move on to the next and come back later.

Come up with a theme, MG name, and Image. These are often interlinked, but mechanically the important one is the theme. You never have to write it or anything, but all of your abilities have to fit the theme. For this reason, your theme should be one of the first things you decide, though you can leave it nebulous as you work.

Choose 2 affinities and a growth affinity. Affinities are actually very complicated, so feel free to skip them or leave placeholders. The 2 can be any words/concepts/elements/whatever her magic is based in (Except War, Peace, or growth affinities) - there are some conventions on conjugation and such, but I can just ask you to fix it. The growth affinity is chosen from Story Maker, Myth Maker, Legend Maker, Story, Myth, Legend, and a couple more that are not in use in this RP. Growth affinity has a lot of implications that would take too much time to go into depth on, so I will do so inside a spoiler below:
Higher Growth affinities have higher stats. (per level)

Lower Growth affinities generally start with a more complete kit.

The Makers (Story Maker, Myth Maker, Legend Maker) generally have gimmicky kits, Story Maker the most and Legend Maker the least. This can be a little hard to grasp.

The closer a growth is to either end of the scale, the more likely it is to do something kind of absurd.

Higher Growth affinities have more existential weight, and can more easily gain higher-tier spell/weapon abilities.

Choose stats appropriate to growth affinity and character concept. (Approx Scales here) You will later need to multiply them by their controller's level. (Generally, your weapon for Base Damage and Magic Modifier. Health and Resilience are usually controlled by abilities noted to do so)

Come up with a weapon idea that fits in your theme. Give it at least one appropriate ability from the ability bible, but do not try to add more than three (and that at high levels) if you don't know what you're doing. Format it like this:
Name
-Flavor text
Level 1
Attacks per Turn: 1
Affinity: (An affinity she has)
Ability: Ability One | Ability Two

APT will be a number that generally starts at 1, and then gains more at specified level intervals. The default is 1/5 levels (Gain 1 APT at levels 5, 10, 15, etc). Weapons will rarely be slower than that. It is possible to have more than one weapon, but I can't explain that concisely.

Come up with at least one spell idea. Note that spells include all kinds of special attacks, and that it is equally possible for a weapon to be magic bolts. Give it appropriate numbers (and multiply by its level) and at least one appropriate ability from the ability bible. Spells average a bit more abilities than weapons, but still keep it low. Format it like this:
Name
-Description
Level 1
Base Damage: ???
Magic Modifier: ???
Affinity: (An affinity she has) | (Optionally another)
Ability: Ability One | Ability Two

Do not overload your sheet with Spells unless you know what you're doing. Three is usually the highest you'll see, and one is not uncommon.

Come up with names for health and resilience controllers, and format them like this.
Some Name
Level 1
-Controls Health.
(Or Resilience. Or "Health and Resilience" for a shared controller.)

You may attach a unique personal ability to a controller if you wish.

Invent a few unique personal abilities that do things like this, and format them similarly. This is usually the most complicated and difficult portion, as you have to invent the abilities basically whole cloth. These are pretty basic examples:
Some Name
-Reduce Total End damage by 50%.

Some Name
-If health falls below 25% of base, triple all stats for the rest of the battle.

Some Name
Level 7
-Reduce incoming damage by 175% of the attacker's resilience.
(The level implies that the numeric effect will be multiplied by the level.)

There are some generic personal abilities (See here for most of them), but do not overuse them. Generally, a sheet should have the abilities (or weapon/spells) play off each other or synergize in some way. Note that even advanced sheets should limit themselves to less than a dozen personal abilities.

Place them all in the designated parts of this template
(Unified Darkness) Magical Girl Name

Civilian name
Stats

Health:
Base Damage:
Base Resilience:
Magic Modifier:
Affinity: ? | ? | (Growth)
Weapon

Spells

Abilities

If you have an idea, but not enough understanding to execute it, ask someone for help. I'll usually be available, but there are others.

As something I've noticed from other RPs, people often read one of the early sheets, see a rare effect that fits fine into that kit, and decide to put it on everything. Please try to avoid this.

Last edited:
Magical Girl Creation Example
Magical Girl Creation Example

You theoretically start with your concept or theme, MG name, or image. It's perfectly possible to start somewhere else, and I often do - but this is by far the easiest to explain.

In this case, I will choose to start with an image, for the sole reason that I always have trouble finding one afterwards otherwise.

This image is of the Gorgon Vraska, but that's not actually the first impression I get of it. Themes are generally pretty hard to articulate, so I'll just leave it as a vague "Sidhe" for the moment and refine it further as I go.

A lot of people like to use descriptive MG names, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I like more abstract ones, so I'm going to pencil it in as Gloaming Kiss.

Her image looks like it's doing some kind of shadow magic, but it also has a bunch of colorful bits and looks like it has some forest ties, so I'll give her an Autumn affinity. Her second affinity is going to be something imperious and superior. I was going to tentatively assign it as Cruelty, because I have some ideas for that, but I could also see Rule, Arrogance, or Scorn, and I can't resist the reference of making it Scorn.

Growth Affinity technically comes next, but it's often easier to decide after making the kit. In the meantime, I'll consider it to be Story. Stats can be adjusted later.

Her Stats will have to wait - they'll mostly be dependent on later parts of her kit. For now, I'll note she probably has a low health but high resilience, mostly by feeling.

I don't currently have a standout idea for her weapon. I skip it to come back to later. This is not unusual.

For her first spell, I have a mental image of it turning the exterior of the victim to autumn leaves. I'll tentatively name it Autumn's Kiss and consider its traits. The primary thing it does is tear up the target's defenses, so it definitely needs a defense shredding ability. Shred is thematic in some ways, but I'll probably go with Armor Removal. (Or their greater versions.) The second trait that comes to mind is that it would be extremely painful, which I would pencil in as stagger, except that stagger is too strong, too unreliable, and I'm beginning to think she should have a personal ability for this anyway. Instead I consider Rend and Catastrophic Damage before settling on the Mutilate line. The third trait that springs to mind is the question of application and targets. It has no projectile and though I'd like it to hit multiple targets I don't think it's an area effect either. It shouldn't logically be dodgeable, but I don't want to put Undodgeable on it, so I'll relegate that to soft mechanics and say it manifests as a haze around the victims that can be evaded. I consider Target by Level to cover the multitarget, but it's too wide-scope for something like this, so I leave that as a soft-mechanics thing as well. It's not essential, anyway. I still have room for it at the end and it doesn't look nasty enough yet, so I add Catastrophic Damage as a high-level bonus. The damage should be nice but not stupendous, so I set at 100 per level for Story. We'll adjust that later. I also set the level of the example as 15, because it seems like a fine time to get Catastrophic Damage.
Autumn Kiss
-Let their flesh fall as leaves do.
Level 15
Base Damage: 1,500
Magic Modifier: 1,500
Affinity: Autumn
Ability: Armor Removal | Mangle | Catastrophic Damage

I want some effect relating to the shadows, but I'm not sure a second spell is the place to put it, so I'll move on to the abilities. This is not unusual - I often outright start at the abilities instead of checking weapon and spell first.

So, first, that pain effect. I would make it stronger with a Cruelty affinity, but for now I start with the words "For each Body Modifier or Status effect inflicted on an opponent" and consider the effect I want. I want it to stun weaker opponents and impede stronger ones, and fade dramatically after the first turn. I consider it shredding base damage or resilience, but find it a little too clunky to phrase, so I just have it shred APT.
Shivering Agony
-For each Body Modifier or Status effect inflicted on an opponent, they lose 1 APT as long as it persists, doubled on the first turn. Stun them while APT is at 0.

I also have an image of her ripping shadows out of people (as inspired by the way the shadows in the image seem to swirl towards her), and I decide to tie the shadows to the debuffs she's applying. I play with removing debuffs for damage, but rapidly settle on this due to the synergy with Shivering Agony. It also has uses outside of Shivering Agony, which is nice.
Tenebrous Scorn
Level 18
-When an opponent would start a turn with more APT than the last, they must sacrifice them or receive 1800 damage per action.
This is also a levelled ability, so I am heavily tempted to make it control her Health, Resilience, or both, but this is a case where that likely results in an overloaded ability, so I just note down the possibility for now.

It doesn't quite settle my desire for the shadowy impalement implied by the image, so I make her weapon some kind of shadowy thing and give it Pin. I'll add more later, but I'm already pretty sure her weapon isn't natively fast, so I'll fill in a 1 +1/5 growth rate.
???
-Shadowy spikes?
Level 10
Attacks per Turn: 3
Affinity: Scorn?
Ability: Pin | ???

This is shaping up to be a debuff-focused kit, and I have a neat idea to abuse Tenebrous Scorn. Setting all APT to 0 requires them to take Tenebrous Scorn to act at all. I have to make sure it can't be activated too repeatedly and has a major cost - I play with large percentages of health, but settle on this because I am sure I can think of a defensive effect that will play off it.
Liminal Pulse (Active)
-Set Health to one and set the APT of each combatant to 0 for the turn, including her own. Cannot be activated at 1 Health.

I note down the possibility of an effect that could give her an action or two and is capable of triggering in Liminal Pulse, but don't act on it right now.

That feels like enough offensive abilities, but she's currently very squishy - she should definitely have some defensive effects. She gets some extra survivability from impeding her opponents, but that's not really enough.

I play with a save from death but decide I'm unhappy connecting that to her affinities. In the end, I steal a name from the Ebon Dragon and base it on her missing health. Then I add a synergistic autumn-themed defense:
Mere Wounds Mocked
-Negate attacks with Total End Damage less than her missing health.

Faded Summer
-Whenever she loses health, double her maximum health.
I heavily consider a healing effect to pair with Faded Summer, but discard many effects as less effective than Mere Wounds Mocked and likely making refreshing Liminal Pulse too easy. Eventually I come up with this outline:
Vicious Trifle Amusement
-When she survives an attack with (Base?) Damage higher than her (Current health, resilience, 50% max/base health?), restore her to full health.

I spend a while fine-tuning the specifics so that it is not too easy to trigger and does not create perverse levelling incentives.
Vicious Trifle Amusement
-When she survives an attack with Base Damage higher than 50% of her base health, restore her to full health.

Now I'm going to think back to her weapon and toss Curse on it. It's a mild, thematic debuff that allows her to apply Shivering Agony by attacking. I consider limitless because that's sort of how I imagine them to manifest, but they aren't intended to stick around unless pinning something, so I skip that. Another debuff could be a level 20-30 upgrade, but putting one before then seems too crushing. So I just leave her weapon at that, though I do consider Critical Strike or Capitalize. I also give it a name.
Transfixing Gloom
-Shadowy spikes.
Level 10
Affinity: Scorn
Ability: Pin | Curse

This kit doesn't seem gimmicky enough it has to be a maker to me. She's equally not overtly impressive enough that I want to slot her in at legend, but I think she fits Myth slightly better than story. This is all by feel, really - anywhere from myth maker to legend would probably work out fine. At Myth, I slot in her stats. I note that contrary to my original assumptions, a high health synergizes well with her defenses. I consider whether a high health is a particularly egregious amount of defense and decide it isn't, so I set her stats per level at:
Health: 500
Base Damage: 50
Base Resilience: 75
Magic Modifier: 60
I also add the Myth affinity to her weapon as a minor enhancement, but leave it off the spell. The spell does need its stats increased for myth, so I increase it to 150/level.

I do need to consider her Health and Resilience controllers. I decide putting them both on Tenebrous Scorn is overloading it, but that Resilience combines well with it thematically, so I add "Controls Resilience" to Tenebrous Scorn and make up a name for her Health Controller:
Long Season
Level 13
-Controls Health.

I also go back and make that APT effect to fill in her veteran kit:
Stolen Shadow
-When an enemy is stunned, she gains an extra attack that turn.

Now I put them all together in sheet format. I normally just build them already in it, but that would be harder to explain:

Magical Girl Gloaming Kiss

Morgan Campbell
Stats

Health: 6,500
Base Damage: 500
Base Resilience: 1,350
Magic Modifier: 600
Affinity: Scorn | Autumn | Myth
Weapon
Transfixing Gloom
-Shadowy spikes.
Level 10
Affinity: Scorn | Myth
Spells
Autumn Kiss
Level 15
Base Damage: 2,250
Magic Modifier: 2,250
Ability: Armor Removal | Mangle | Catastrophic Damage
Abilities
Shivering Agony
-For each Body Modifier or Status effect inflicted on an opponent, they lose 1 APT as long as it persists, doubled on the first turn. Stun them while APT is at 0.

Long Season
Level 13
-Controls Health.

Tenebrous Scorn
Level 18
-Controls Resilience. When an opponent would start a turn with more APT than the last, they must sacrifice them or receive 1800 damage per action.

Mere Wounds Mocked

Faded Summer

Liminal Pulse (Active)
-Set Health to one and set the APT of each combatant to 0 for the turn, including her own. Cannot be activated at 1 Health.

Vicious Trifle Amusement
-When she survives an attack with Base Damage higher than 50% of her base health, restore her to full health.

Stolen Shadow
-When an enemy is stunned, she gains an extra attack that turn.

The version of this sheet you would start the RP with would look something like this:

(Unified Light) Magical Girl Gloaming Kiss

Morgan Campbell
Stats

Health: 4,000
Base Damage: 250
Base Resilience: 750
Magic Modifier: 300
Affinity: Scorn | Autumn | Myth
Weapon
Transfixing Gloom
-Shadowy spikes.
Level 5
Attacks per Turn: 2
Affinity: Scorn
Spells
Autumn Kiss
Level 5
Base Damage: 750
Magic Modifier: 750
Ability: Armor Removal | Mutilate
Abilities
Shivering Agony

Long Season
Level 8
-Controls Health.

Tenebrous Scorn
Level 10
-Controls Resilience. When an opponent would start a turn with more APT than the last, they must sacrifice them or receive 1000 damage per action.

Mere Wounds Mocked

Faded Summer

Liminal Pulse (Active)

...Though of course your sheet would say Unified Darkness instead of Unified Light. This girl's name is Morgan Campbell. You are going to kill her.

Last edited:
Alright, here we go. I'll bring you a second example because my submission is actually ready. Everything that could be done (and a lot of which is optional), I did.

First of all, spoilered to visually distinguish it, my girl's baby sheet. This is what she was like when she awakened her powers.
(Unaligned) Magical Girl Fivefold Fury

Hana Pratt

"Flying forever, fervently, we are Magical Girl Fivefold Fury!"​
Stats

Health: 500
Base Damage: 100
Base Resilience: 50
Magic Modifier: N/A

Affinity: Five | Life | Myth
Weapon

Aethereal Glare
Level 1
Attacks Per Turn: 2 (+1 per 5 levels)
Affinities: Five
Ability: Juggernaut | Unerring
Spells

Separation
Split into separate instances; every cast of this spell fills the number of existing instances up to five. This spell requires ten minutes of meditation to cast.
Level N/A
Base Damage: N/A
Affinity: Five | Life
Ability: Clone-Self

Communion
The casting instance merges herself with another, integrating any additional knowledge.
Level N/A
Affinity: Life | Myth
Ability: Target Self | Kamikaze | Assimilate
Abilities

Fortune of Five
Level 1
-Attacks or damaging effects with a 5 in their Total Damage can not harm Fivefold Fury. Governs Health and Base Resilience.

Law of Nature
-Fivefold Fury remains alive for as long as even a single instance of her does.

Next, her HolyShitRun sheet, the theoretical apex I doubt she will ever reach:
(???) Magical Girl Fivefold Fury

???

Stats

Health: 15,000
Base Damage: 4,000
Base Resilience: 1,500

Weapon

Aethereal Glare
Level 40
Attacks Per Turn: 10
Affinities: Five | Myth
Ability: Unstoppable | Unerring | Terror
Spells

Separation
Split into separate instances; every cast of this spell fills the number of existing instances up to five. This spell requires ten minutes of meditation to cast.
Level N/A

Communion
The casting instance merges herself with another, integrating any additional knowledge.
Level N/A
Abilities

Fortune of Five
Level 30
-Attacks or damaging effects with a 5 in their Offensive String or Total Damage can not harm Fivefold Fury. Governs Health and Base Resilience.

Vibrant Vexation
-Every fifth attack, Fivefold Fury heals for Final End Damage dealt. She may alternately heal a nearby ally for half that value.

Teeming Life
-If Fivefold Fury enters combat with less than 5 instances of herself active, she automatically casts Separation as a free action.

Inviolable Law of Nature
-Fivefold Fury remains alive for as long as even a single instance of her does. Each time one of her instances dies, the remaining ones reset their Health to full and multiply one stat (Health, Base Damage, Base Resilience) by 5. Each stat can only be raised once. If only a single instance is alive and in battle, her ApT are also multiplied by 5.

Leviathan's Catalyst
-Whenever exactly five combatants synchronise attacks or spells, Unified Damage is multiplied by 55. Synchronised spells are forced into a new form regardless of compatibility.

Tears of Life
-One instance of Fivefold Fury may sacrifice herself in order to revive one being that died within the last 50 seconds.

Flight
Level 30
-Fivefold Fury may take to the air and fly at up to 290mph.

High-Speed Combat (lvl 4)
-Fivefold Fury can track and react to targets moving at up to 360mph.

And lastly, the version I imagine going into play:
(Unified Darkness) Magical Girl Fivefold Fury

Rose Pettigrew

Stats

Health: 5,000
Base Damage: 1,000
Base Resilience: 500

Weapon

Aethereal Glare
Level 10
Attacks Per Turn: 4
Affinities: Five | Myth
Ability: Unstoppable | Unerring
Spells

Separation
Level N/A

Communion
Level N/A
Abilities

Fortune of Five
Level 10
-Attacks or damaging effects with a 5 in their Total Damage can not harm Fivefold Fury. Governs Health and Base Resilience.

Vibrant Vexation
-Every fifth attack, Fivefold Fury heals for Final End Damage dealt. She may alternately heal a nearby ally for half that value.

Teeming Life
-If Fivefold Fury enters combat with less than 5 instances of herself active, she automatically casts Separation as a free action.

Inviolable Law of Nature
-Fivefold Fury remains alive for as long as even a single instance of her does. Each time one of her instances dies, the remaining ones reset their Health to full and multiply one stat (Health, Base Damage, Base Resilience) by 5. Each stat can only be raised once. If only a single instance is alive and in battle, her ApT are also multiplied by 5.

Flight
Level 5
-Fivefold Fury may take to the air and fly at up to 40mph.

High-Speed Combat (lvl 1)
-Fivefold Fury can track and react to targets moving at up to 90mph.

Fury joined the UD because she puts great value in having and acquiring personal power. Meaning, she resonates with the UD's creed and has few qualms about how to adhere to it. So when a recruiter contacted her, she jumped at the chance.

Furthermore, soft mechanics and exploits:
General Notes
Magical Girl Fivefold Fury possesses a balanced kit of offensive and defensive measures. Though she lacks spells to affect a battle with, her given weapon is devastating in its own right and there are up to five of her in any given confrontation. She possesses no Magic Modifier because that magic is routed through her head to facilitate several of her powers.​
Rose's transformation time limit as Fivefold Fury is 5 hours, 55 minutes, 55 seconds. Notable here is that each instance has an independent transformation pool.​
She has a Type-1 transformation, which means that her magic is laid over her actual body; any Body Damage she sustains remains even when detransforming.​

Aethereal Glare
This weapon is entirely magical, being a property of Fury's eyes. The mana coursing through her head infuses them with power, which in turn adds itself to the light passing through. This attack is instantaneous and naturally limited by line of sight. It manifests as pure kinetic energy, though only the target is affected. The attack is invisible to the naked eye unless one can perceive mana directly, in which case it forms a clear, purple beam. Fury can conciously toggle it off so as to not injure her allies. ApT determines how often she can pulse force within a turn.​
A side effect of having magic eyes is that Fury can perceive mana, which allows her to spot magical beings as well active Brand Craft or Magic Binary arrays quite easily, among others. She also retains perfect sight for as long as there is even the slightest bit of light available. On the flipside, she lacks any instincts for weapons or unarmed fighting that other Magical Girls get along with their weapons. Her Grapple damage is 10% Base Damage instead of the normal formula; in the case she can clearly look at her opponent however, it becomes 100%.​
Due to how the human eye is built, Aethereal Glare has a small blind spot toward the center of Fury's vision. She is unaware of that weakness.​
Unstoppable: Due to being based on mana-infused light, the photons making up the attack pass right through armour and common defensive fields.​
Unerring: Attacks are unaffected by ballistics and move at the speed of light, ensuring a hit without outside interference.​
Terror: (Not unlocked yet) Each pulse of force induces mind-numbing fear in the target.​
Exploits:​
  • "Monster in the Dark": Creative use of Lethal Surprise (and Terror if unlocked) can easily break morale.
  • "The Devil's Eye": Due to its properties, Aethereal Glare falsifies Anti-Parry, No-Intercept, and Undodgeable. It is not impossible to dodge, intercept, or deflect any of those three, but unless the opponent knows to obstruct Fury's line of sight in some way or use it against her, their efforts are most likely futile. Intercepting is futile regardless, seeing that Unstoppable is an auto-win unless the other side has it, too.
  • "Spread it Out": Instead of following her line of sight exactly, Fury may strike at her entire field of vision, though this only deals 10% of her Base Damage and does not differentiate between friend and foe. Straining her eyes like that too often will damage them.
  • "Get Out of Jail Free": Fury can evade capture by short-circuiting the flow of magic in her head, instantly frying her brain for a painless death. Or, at least she assumes it is painless, she would not know what it feels like. The entire time she carefully practiced that trick by repeated splitting and toiling at least never saw a single scream or sign of displeasure.

Separation
Fury's first spell, when cast, allows her body to split into several exact copies of itself. The magic coursing through each instance's body creates a permanent soul link, granting them knowledge of how many instances are active. If at least two instances are in the same dimension, this link also tells them the direction (but not distance) of each other. For related reasons, not to mention that Fury's instances generally think alike, they have a rather easy time synchronising their attacks.​
This spell requires ten minutes of meditation, making it useless in combat situations.​
Clone-Self: Self-explanatory, effectively mitosis. Is not limited by transformation time and persists indefinitely.​

Communion
Fury's second spell can only be cast while touching at least one other instance of herself. All instances in contact with each other merge back into a single one. Spell fails if there is no contact to another instance of Fivefold Fury. To facilitate Assimilate, Fury's mental fortitude and processing power is increased to handle up to five diverging strings of memories.​
Target Self: This spell can only affect Fivefold Fury, it does not trigger even if she touches anyone else. It also fails to affect any other being touching her while she is in contact with another instance of herself.​
Kamikaze: The separate instances die.​
Assimilate: Alternating memories and experiences are merged harmoniously in the resulting instance.​
  • "Avoidance of Trauma": Instead of assimilating an instance that was severely maimed or otherwise brutalised, either physically or mentally, Fury can kill her and be free of whatever fate befell the other her. An unfortunate downside of this interaction is that if one instance carrying valuable intel dies before merging, that information is lost.

Fortune of Five
If an attack against Fury resonates with the concept of "Five", her being turns indestructible in response, preventing harm from that which is central to her own existence.​

Vibrant Vexation
Excess mana from each attack builds up in Fury's body and automatically unloads in every fifth pulse. The impact literally beats life force out of her target, which either follows the beam's path back to her or can be redirected to a nearby ally with some loss.​
  • "Augmented Charge": With some active attention, Fury can keep the charge steady beyond the fifth attack and stack more force into it to falsify Knockback upon release. Its strength depends on how much energy was accumulated, though holding it becomes more difficult as it charges.

Teeming Life
Upon entering battle, Separation casts itself without any input from Fury, filling up the number of instances. If more than one of her instances enters a fight simultaneously, the one to cast is random.​

Inviolable Law of Nature
The soul of Fivefold Fury effectively exists in each instance of herself. Upon violent death, this soul is slung back by the link between instances and becomes a surge of energy; it immediately spreads to those still alive and heals up injuries. Then this energy reinforces a part of Fury's remaining instances, bolstering life force, the force of her attacks, or overall sturdiness. In the case only a single instance lives, the sheer amount of excess energy from the other four additionally magnifies her speed. Each boost is signified by a purple gleam surrounding Fury, growing brighter the more boosts are active. When the ApT-boost becomes active, it appears more like flames wafting around her.​

Leviathan's Catalyst
Not yet unlocked
The magic coursing through Fury's body spreads outward, subtly blanketing her Combat Field (the area in which she can immediately engage in combat). It aligns with the number 5 and whenever exactly this many combatants work together, it surges into frantic activity to boost their strikes or spells. A side effect of this activity is that spells are forced to synchronise, which may not always lead to a useful result.​
Of special note should be that this also applies if five instances of Fivefold Fury synchronise their attacks against the same target, or if several of them work with someone else.​

Tears of Life
Not yet unlocked
Upon physically touching a recently deceased being, one instance of Fury may actively choose to save them. She will cry a single bloody tear containing her entire magic and life force, the body they belonged to turning to dust as it falls. Upon impact with her chosen target, the accumulated power draws the soul back from wherever it went by using the body as a link, repairing all damage it suffered and reviving it. The soul's trail becomes too diluted after fifty seconds have passed however, making the technique fail. These tears can not be put in storage, simply dispersing after a full minute as the magic is aware of its own limits.​

Flight
Fivefold Fury has no wings. Rather, magic courses through her body and allows her to float omnidirectionally. While she has no appendages in need of flapping however, she is not exempt from the laws of physics; her body can project motion at will, but changing course or reverting momentum still takes time.​
  • "Creative Grappling": While otherwise rather helpless in a Grapple, Fury can propel herself and her opponent into the air at any moment to trip them up.

High-Speed Combat
This Ability intersects with Fury's perception and improves her reaction time. It is notably not bullet time or any kind of slowdown effect.​

Last edited:
Well, my submission doesn't quite feel completed, but that's probably just me being nervous about it. The only thing missing is... the growth affinity. This girl being my second rp submission ever for this system makes me uncertain of what her growth affinity should be, beyond being some form of Maker.

(Unified Dark) Magical Girl Battlefield Scavenger

Stats
Health:
Base Damage:
Base Resilience:
Magic Modifier:
Affinities: Storage | Survival | <Some> Maker
Weapon
Scavenger's Lockpick
It's a Halligan Bar, jim.
Level 1
Attacks Per Turn: 1 +1 per Level
Affinities: Survival
Ability: Indestructible

Scavenged Armaments
Level N/A
Attacks Per Turn: Draws from ApT of Scavenger's Lockpick
Affinities: Storage | (Variable)
Ability: (Variable)
Spells
Brace Yourselves
The worst is yet to come...
Level 1
Base Damage:
Magic Modifier:
Affinity: Survival
Ability: Boost All | Damage Cut
Abilities
The Container Level 1
Battlefield Scavenger is immune to attacks from melee weapons. Controls Health.

Survivor of Conflict Level 1
The first time each turn Battlefield Scavenger would be killed, reduce her to 1 health instead. Reduce incoming damage to Battlefield Scavenger by 1% before applying defensive string. Controls Resilience.

Legacy Of The Fallen
Battlefield Scavenger may add any unattended weapon to her Scavenged Armaments. Weapons that are part of Scavenged Armaments may not be retrieved except by Battlefield Scavenger or their original owner.

Intercept
If an incoming attack is caught, intercept the attack with one of your own. If your damage is higher, negate the attack, and deal the difference in unblockable damage. If your damage is exceeded, reduce incoming damage by yours before calculation.

(???) Magical Girl Battlefield Scavenger

Stats
Health:
Base Damage:
Base Resilience:
Magic Modifier:
Affinities: Storage | Survival | <Some> Maker
Weapon
Scavenger's Lockpick
Level 20
Attacks Per Turn: 20 +1 per Level
Ability: Indestructible | Crush | Catastrophic Damage | Vorpal

Scavenged Armaments
Level N/A
Spells
Brace Yourselves
Level 20
Base Damage:
Magic Modifier:
Ability: Boost All | Damage Cut | Priority Boost | Negate Slayer | Rapid Recovery
Abilities
The Container Level 20
Battlefield Scavenger is immune to melee and projectile attacks. Controls Health.

Survivor of Conflict Level 20
The first time each turn Battlefield Scavenger would be killed, reduce her to 1 health instead. Reduce incoming damage to Battlefield Scavenger by 20% before applying defensive string. Controls Resilience.

Legacy Of The Fallen
Battlefield Scavenger may add any unattended weapon to her Scavenged Armaments. Weapons that are part of Scavenged Armaments may not be retrieved except by Battlefield Scavenger or their original owner.

Open The Vaults: Level X
The fallen left a legacy, and the living will make use of it. When using weapons from Scavenged Armaments with a lower level than this ability, raise their level to that of this ability. When using Scavenged Armaments, you may freely Negate and/or Intercept X times per turn and multiply your base damage by X when Intercepting or attacking with Riposte.

Grit Your Teeth
If an incoming attack or spell is caught, intercept the attack with one of your own. If your damage is higher, negate the attack, and deal the difference in unblockable damage. If your damage is exceeded, reduce incoming damage by yours before calculation. Deal your own half of the intercept as unblockable damage on top of the results, regardless of whether you win or lose.

Scavenger's Lockpick is a Halligan Bar, (the uber crowbar), and as such it can be used for forcing things apart, prying things open, twisting, punching through, and striking things. A tool for survival, not slaying the opponent.
- Indestructible: Scavenger's Lockpick is both incredibly sturdy physically and magically reinforced.
-- Immovable Rod: When set in place to brace something, the Halligan Bar will stay there until Battlefield Scavenger retrieves it, barring extreme physical force.
- Crush: Using a Halligan Bar two handed does exert more force than using it one-handed. Scavenger's Lockpick optimizes that force allocation through good design.
-- Optimized Lever: Exerting additional force, given a fulcrum to brace it on, makes the Halligan Bar exceptionally useful for exerting leverage. Crush merely amplifies the effectiveness of this.
- Catastrophic Damage (Formerly Critical Strike): Opening something up with a Halligan Bar requires finding good anchor and leverage points, or swinging it at weak points. The Scavenger's Lockpick provides a passive form of analysis for such, nearly guaranteeing destructive wound if one is dealt.
- Vorpal: Scavenger's Lockpick now actively resists all opposing forces that would attempt to damage it, and if those forces are insufficient? They just stop being applied.
-- Open Up: Combined with Catastrophic Damage, Falsifying Armor Pierce ability lines up to Unstoppable seems quite possible.

Brace Yourselves is as simple as words of warning.
- Boost All: Brace Yourselves theoretically just affects any allies who can hear the words of warning.
-- Through The Noise: Brace Yourselves does have some ability to cut through other sounds.
- Damage Cut: Allies magically warned of danger are just that: Warned of danger. Attacking them is less effective as a result.
- Priority Boost: While it does not speed up allies, being warned of danger does make them just a bit quicker to react, able to think a bit more clearly.
- Negate Slayer: When opposing Slayer effects come, the magic of Brace Yourselves reinforces that of bolstered allies, allowing them to Survive the Slayer effects.
- Rapid Recovery: While it cannot heal their wounds, Brace Yourselves does significantly ease the ability of those it affects to survive wounds they have already taken.

Survivor Of Conflict is the will to not succumb, to survive whatever the danger. All damage is somewhat shrugged off, and damage that would slay her especially so (if it's not happening consecutively).

The Container is the combination of Storage and Survival. Battlefield Scavenger is treated as a container for weapons, and placing a weapon inside it's container does not harm the container. Melee weapon attacks thus momentarily enter the space where things are stored, inflicting no damage, and then leave the space.
- The Arcane Container: Theoretically, Battlefield Scavenger's immunity could extend to spells.

Legacy Of The Fallen is the space used for The Container itself. Unattended weaponry may be brought within the space, and remains stored until Battlefield Scavenger or their owner retrieve them.

Scavenged Armaments is the collection of weapons stored within Legacy Of The Fallen, ready to be retrieved by their owner or Battlefield Scavenger.

Open The Vaults is the culmination of surviving many battles and storing weapons from them, turned outwards to ensure that the bearer does not fall. It affords a measure of skill and potency with such stored weaponry, as well as an limited instinctive defense when utilizing them. It also allows swapping between, equipping, and returning to storage of such weapons freely.

Dual Wield allows Battlefield Scavenger to utilize her crowbar and the various weapons she picks up over time in tandem without loss of effectiveness.

Skilled

Master Skill

Open The Vaults: Level X (Capstone!)

Punch Through

Primordia

Grit Your Teeth (Capstone)

Survivor's Spoils
I'll be taking that now... Whenever you deal damage as a result of an Intercept or negate an action with skill, you may disarm the other participant(s) of their weapons.

Edit: I realize the Open The Vaults doesn't have a proper level. Please ignore the elephant in the room, while I try to figure out what level to set it at.

Last edited:
Battlefield Scavenger is immune to melee and projectile attacks. Controls Health.
As worded, it sounds like this affects both weapon and spell attacks, which feels like it might go too close to the immortality clause. Maybe.

From the sound of things the only stuff that actually hurts her is AOEs (explosions and the like) and health-depleting status effects (like Poison)?

As worded, it sounds like this affects both weapon and spell attacks, which feels like it might go too close to the immortality clause. Maybe.

From the sound of things the only stuff that actually hurts her is AOEs (explosions and the like) and health-depleting status effects (like Poison)?
Back when I was building the character at level 1, Lost pointed out that the flavor of The Container wasn't that different from being a lite version of Indestructible Core. Yes, it is intended to work against Spells and weapons with the wording on the full power sheet.
AoE and Damage over time effects do work on her with the wording currently present on the full power sheet.

Back when I was building the character at level 1, Lost pointed out that the flavor of The Container wasn't that different from being a lite version of Indestructible Core. Yes, it is intended to work against Spells and weapons with the wording on the full power sheet.
AoE and Damage over time effects do work on her with the wording currently present on the full power sheet.
Oh woops, somehow didn't even notice that was the full power sheet. Saw that it was the non-baby sheet and brain assumed that was the 'start of rp' sheet.

For what it's worth, I did not intend people to be making three separate iterations of their sheet. You are technically free to do so, but the intended mechanism was to make one version of your sheet at, theoretically, any point, and then I would (with your input) create an appropriately-levelled variation.

Of particular note is that submitting an "RP start" sheet does not mean you will start at that point. I've deliberately left that till after selections are made so I can make those decisions in parallel.

For commentary on the submissions so far:
Magical Girl Fivefold Fury
I am a little troubled by her not being a maker anymore while having both Fortune of Five and her clones thing, but it's well set up otherwise. (Not that I expected anything else.)
Magical Girl Battlefield Scavenger
Well, first of all - Grit Your Teeth is Punch-through. Don't give generic abilities personal names.

Second, that is generally too much. I am aware the advanced sheet is a veteran, but looking at it, she is Tail Blue with significantly more restrictive weapon acquisition, except the rest of her kit is overloaded already. And Tail Blue is already the strongest Legend Maker alive (although to be fair that has a lot to do with what she's collected). There are more minor issues, like the number of abilities on her spell (I'd cap it at 4 unless one's channel or something) and me disliking level% DR (It's both mathematically annoying and trivial unless the controller is somehow level 50 or something), but they don't really matter in comparison.

Leaving aside the Tail Blue comparison, she has four good defensive mechanisms.
  • Immunity to melee (and eventually all targeted) attacks
  • 1/turn save from death
  • Very good intercepts (Times level, Punch-through, and if using base weapon Crush, Vorpal, and Indestructible. Oh, and Damage Cut synergizes to.)
  • Free or cheap skill negation
  • Also Damage Cut and a bit of %DR to back her stats.
I would advise you to choose two and drop the rest. She will still be very difficult to kill.

Also, her bar has extremely good APT growth, a top-tier ability, a high-tier ability, and two more solid abilities, which I would be hesitant to put on pretty much anything at level 20, much less this. It's also somewhat incongruous with her weapon theft for her to have an extremely good weapon.

You may also want to tighten up her theme regarding whether she is a survivor/scavenger type or a weaponmaster. I don't really think skill is in theme for the former, and the latter actually feels like it should have more utility. (As a sidenote, the Container is a pretty neat effect, but I would think environmental/collateral effects are what a scavenging/survival type would be most resistant to. You may have a different vision of things.)

Last edited:
Edit, and putting it at the very top for emphasis!
Magical Girl Battlefield Scavenger is my official submission. The later submission I came up with just wasn't as interesting to me, but if you want to see it, she's called Scorched Banner. Somewhere near page 5 of the thread.

For what it's worth, I did not intend people to be making three separate iterations of their sheet. You are technically free to do so, but the intended mechanism was to make one version of your sheet at, theoretically, any point, and then I would (with your input) create an appropriately-levelled variation.

Of particular note is that submitting an "RP start" sheet does not mean you will start at that point. I've deliberately left that till after selections are made so I can make those decisions in parallel.

For commentary on the submissions so far:

I am a little troubled by her not being a maker anymore while having both Fortune of Five and her clones thing, but it's well set up otherwise. (Not that I expected anything else.)

Well, first of all - Grit Your Teeth is Punch-through. Don't give generic abilities personal names.

Second, that is generally too much. I am aware the advanced sheet is a veteran, but looking at it, she is Tail Blue with significantly more restrictive weapon acquisition, except the rest of her kit is overloaded already. And Tail Blue is already the strongest Legend Maker alive (although to be fair that has a lot to do with what she's collected). There are more minor issues, like the number of abilities on her spell (I'd cap it at 4 unless one's channel or something) and me disliking level% DR (It's both mathematically annoying and trivial unless the controller is somehow level 50 or something), but they don't really matter in comparison.

Leaving aside the Tail Blue comparison, she has four good defensive mechanisms.
  • Immunity to melee (and eventually all targeted) attacks
  • 1/turn save from death
  • Very good intercepts (Times level, Punch-through, and if using base weapon Crush, Vorpal, and Indestructible. Oh, and Damage Cut synergizes to.)
  • Free or cheap skill negation
  • Also Damage Cut and a bit of %DR to back her stats.
I would advise you to choose two and drop the rest. She will still be very difficult to kill.

Also, her bar has extremely good APT growth, a top-tier ability, a high-tier ability, and two more solid abilities, which I would be hesitant to put on pretty much anything at level 20, much less this. It's also somewhat incongruous with her weapon theft for her to have an extremely good weapon.

You may also want to tighten up her theme regarding whether she is a survivor/scavenger type or a weaponmaster. I don't really think skill is in theme for the former, and the latter actually feels like it should have more utility. (As a sidenote, the Container is a pretty neat effect, but I would think environmental/collateral effects are what a scavenging/survival type would be most resistant to. You may have a different vision of things.)
Alrighty then... I kind of expected most of that.
In terms of the number of defensive mechanisms... I am somewhat attached to The Container, with it actually being the first thing made for the sheet, and the basis for the particular affinity combination. Survivor's Soul is honestly an artifact design wise, and as such, I'm removing it's percentile based reduction and it's save from death. And finally, I agree that the Skill isn't a great fit for her theme. So with all that in mind... Veteran sheet, version 2.

(Unified Dark) Magical Girl Battlefield Scavenger

Stats
Health: 150
Base Damage: 40
Base Resilience: 35
Magic Modifier: 30
Affinities: Storage | Survival | Myth Maker
Weapon
Scavenger's Lockpick
Level 1
Attacks Per Turn: 1 +1 per Level
Ability: Indestructible

Scavenged Armaments
Level N/A
Spells
Brace Yourselves
Level 1
Base Damage: 65
Magic Modifier: 60
Ability: Boost All | Damage Cut
Abilities
The Container Level 1
Battlefield Scavenger is immune to attacks from melee weapons. Controls Health.

Survivor of Conflict Level 1
Controls Resilience.

Legacy Of The Fallen

Intercept
If an incoming attack is caught, intercept the attack with one of your own. If your damage is higher, negate the attack, and deal the difference in unblockable damage. If your damage is exceeded, reduce incoming damage by yours before calculation.
I removed Catastrophic Damage and Vorpal from the main weapon, removed Priority Boost and Negate Slayer from her spell, removed all mentions of Skill, and accordingly changed Survivor's Spoils and Open The Vaults to work with only Intercepts (and not boost her damage insanely), and got rid of her Save From Death and percentile damage reduction from Survivor's Soul.

(???) Magical Girl Battlefield Scavenger

Stats
Health: 3000
Base Damage: 800
Base Resilience: 700
Magic Modifier: 600
Affinities: Storage | Survival | Myth Maker
Weapon
Scavenger's Lockpick
Level 20
Attacks Per Turn: 6 +1 per 4
Ability: Indestructible | Crush

Scavenged Armaments
Level N/A
Spells
Brace Yourselves
Level 20
Base Damage: 1300
Magic Modifier: 1200
Ability: Boost All | Damage Cut | Rapid Recovery
Abilities
The Container Level 20

Survivor of Conflict Level 20
Controls Resilience.

Legacy Of The Fallen

Desperate Flurry
You aren't leaving me much choice! The first X times per turn you attack with a weapon from Scavenged Armaments that you haven't attacked with this turn, regain an action. X in this ability is the level of Scavenger's Lockpick.

Open The Vaults: Level 5
The fallen left a legacy, and the living will make use of it. You may freely Intercept 5 times per turn using Scavenged Armaments and may unify these with your normal Intercepts.

Grit Your Teeth
This is gonna hurt... If an incoming attack or spell is caught, intercept the attack with one of your own. If your damage is higher, negate the attack, and deal the difference in unblockable damage. If your damage is exceeded, reduce incoming damage by yours before calculation. Deal your own half of the intercept as unblockable damage on top of the results, regardless of whether you win or lose.

Dual Wield
-Battlefield Scavenger can utilize both of their weapons simultaneously.

Survivor's Spoils
I'll be taking that now... Whenever you deal damage as a result of an Intercept, you may disarm the other participant(s) of their weapons.

Scavenger's Lockpick is a Halligan Bar, (the uber crowbar), and as such it can be used for forcing things apart, prying things open, twisting, punching through, and striking things. A tool for survival, not slaying the opponent.
- Indestructible: Scavenger's Lockpick is both incredibly sturdy physically and magically reinforced.
-- Immovable Rod: When set in place to brace something, the Halligan Bar will stay there until Battlefield Scavenger retrieves it, barring extreme physical force.
- Crush: Using a Halligan Bar two handed does exert more force than using it one-handed. Scavenger's Lockpick optimizes that force allocation through good design.
-- Optimized Lever: Exerting additional force, given a fulcrum to brace it on, makes the Halligan Bar exceptionally useful for exerting leverage. Crush merely amplifies the effectiveness of this.

Brace Yourselves is as simple as words of warning.
- Boost All: Brace Yourselves theoretically just affects any allies who can hear the words of warning.
-- Through The Noise: Brace Yourselves does have some ability to cut through other sounds.
- Damage Cut: Allies magically warned of danger are just that: Warned of danger. Attacking them is less effective as a result.
- Rapid Recovery: While it cannot heal their wounds, Brace Yourselves does significantly ease the ability of those it affects to survive wounds they have already taken.

Survivor Of Conflict is the will to not succumb, to survive whatever the environment and circumstance would throw against you.

The Container is the combination of Storage and Survival. Battlefield Scavenger is treated as a container for weapons, and placing a weapon inside it's container does not harm the container. Melee weapon attacks thus momentarily enter the space where things are stored, inflicting no damage, and then leave the space.
- The Quiver: It is a simple conceptual exercise to have the same process that protects against melee weapons extend to projectile weapons; The difficulty lies in pulling it off reliably.
- The Arcane Container: Theoretically, the same protections against weapons could be extended to other forms of melee and/or projectile attack.

Legacy Of The Fallen is the space used for The Container itself. Unattended weaponry may be brought within the space, and remains stored until Battlefield Scavenger or their owner retrieve them.
- While Battlefield Scavenger can't store weapons freely, she is able to store multiple weapons in one go so long as they all are unattended.
- Weapons are typically retrieved in a state ready for use by Battlefield Scavenger, but the same is not true for other individuals. Skill and/or Agility help significantly with them not suddenly grabbing the blade of their retrieved sword or the barrel of their retrieved gun.
- Weapons stored do not retain their former wielder's Magic Modifier unless the weapon itself is intrinsically linked to it. Similarly, Legacy Of The Fallen could theoretically fake Personal Abilities for particular stored weaponry.

Scavenged Armaments is the collection of weapons stored within Legacy Of The Fallen, ready to be retrieved by their owner or Battlefield Scavenger.
- Survivor's Skill: Battlefield Scavenger's normal MG instincts let her use the weapons she has stored competently, but they do have to have briefly spent time stored.

Dual Wield allows Battlefield Scavenger to utilize her halligan bar and the various weapons she picks up over time in tandem without loss of effectiveness.
- She can switch between using them without having to spent actions mid fight. This includes going from two-handing her bar to using it one-handed alongside a Scavenged Armament, or even swapping from two-handing her bar to using two Scavenged Armements at once.
- There is still some delay in swapping between Scavenged Armaments in battle.

Desperate Flurry is the transition between simply storing and beginning to use the weapons that Battlefield Scavenger gathers. The drawing out of a weapon for the purpose of surviving in a fight causes a surge in her magic to fuel the action, provided that the specific weapon hasn't already been used too recently.
- Attempted Organization: The surge in magic that accompanies the drawing out of a new weapon is accompanied by the fact that the delay in swapping between Scavenged Armaments is eliminated (if the action is regained). While the entirety of them are not organized, her magic maintains a semblance of it by 'charging' weapons, and Battlefield Scavenger reaches out for the weapons that are 'charged' automatically.
-- Offensive Surge (Training required?): Drawing out multiple weapons in succession to unleash a flurry of blows can falsify multi-hit abilities.
--- Intercepting Surge (Training required): Draw out multiple weapons in succession to make multiple strikes when Intercepting could falsify multi-hit abilities.

Open The Vaults is the culmination of surviving many battles and storing weapons from them, refined to ensure that the bearer does not fall. It affords a limited automatic defense via interposing stored weapons. It also allows swapping between, equipping, and returning to storage of such weapons freely.
- Organization: Battlefield Scavenger could theoretically spend the time prior to purchasing this ability to try and organize all of her stored weapons beyond the automatic attempts at doing so that Legacy Of The Fallen does to let her find (and help her remember) what all weapons she has stored. Open The Vaults does it automatically, and nigh-instantly upon weapons entering or leaving storage.
- Omni-Wield (Training required?): When using Open The Vaults, unified free intercepts can end up with Battlefield Scavenger making weapon attacks with more weapons than she could theoretically hold. This essentially gives her Telepathy (False) and Levitate (False) for the weapons used in such Intercepts.
- Bladed Body (Training required?): Using the free intercepts without using her hands holding the weapons is possible, and ends with weapons apparently protruding from her body and/or clothing before retracting into storage. Even without training, this does manifest as Auto-Counter (false).
-- Blade Fist: And yes, she can unify a free Intercept with one done by punching the incoming attack.

Open The Vaults: Level X (Capstone!)
- Mentioned here for the changes. It only grants free Intercepts that must use Scavenged Armaments, and no longer multiplies damage dealt using them. With the addition of Desperate Flurry, it turns what used to be action neutral into actual extra ApT.

Grit Your Teeth (Capstone of Intercepts)
- It's combining Punch-Through and Primordia. It's just neater to only have one ability.

Survivor's Soul
Mellithae mentioned environmental and/or collateral damage defenses, and this might be a good place to put them, theoretically.

While Earth is generally well defended (for a given value of the term), not all places upon it are equally well defended. Battlefield Scavenger's awakening saved her from being slaughtered by demonic foot soldiers, and ended with her choosing to side with the Unified Darkness. Many battlefields may change that stance, but principally, Battlefield Scavenger works for the side that ensures her survival for the moment. And so far, the Unified Darkness has been coming out ahead in that regard in her eyes.

Last edited:
I'm still a little worried about her being overly durable, but this is significantly better. I actually really like the lockpick soft mechanics, incidentally.

Dual Wield only allows her to use one weapon's APT for another, and since they all draw on lockpick's APT anyway... (Unless she's getting the individual APT of each weapon in there, which would make the GGrey comparisons even more pronounced and also not be allowed.)

I'm a little suspicious of Primordia, especially since I feel that she should probably just find and use a Primordia weapon for that.

New Open the Vaults is pretty neat. Punch-through and Survivor's Spoils are brutal, but I like it. (I assume it soft-mechanic doesn't work on spells that don't use their weapon, but I could see being wrong there?)

Incidentally, I was incorrect regarding Grit Your Teeth - I missed the Primordia clause. It is fine, even preferable, to have a personal ability that combines them. (From a sheet design standpoint.)

There's some things I'd do differently, but not anything else I feel needs to be done differently.

I'm still a little worried about her being overly durable, but this is significantly better. I actually really like the lockpick soft mechanics, incidentally.

Dual Wield only allows her to use one weapon's APT for another, and since they all draw on lockpick's APT anyway... (Unless she's getting the individual APT of each weapon in there, which would make the GGrey comparisons even more pronounced and also not be allowed.)

I'm a little suspicious of Primordia, especially since I feel that she should probably just find and use a Primordia weapon for that.

New Open the Vaults is pretty neat. Punch-through and Survivor's Spoils are brutal, but I like it. (I assume it soft-mechanic doesn't work on spells that don't use their weapon, but I could see being wrong there?)

Incidentally, I was incorrect regarding Grit Your Teeth - I missed the Primordia clause. It is fine, even preferable, to have a personal ability that combines them. (From a sheet design standpoint.)

There's some things I'd do differently, but not anything else I feel needs to be done differently.
Lockpick soft mechanics were a ton of fun. Just... find stuff that's a Halligan Bar or crowbar does, and see what the Ability in question lends itself to.
Dual Wield's primary purpose is to let her use the weapons simoutaneously. It doesn't grant her extra ApT, but it would allow her to do things like dual wield a spear alongside her crowbar, or use an Anti-Demon Rifle alongside a Greatsword simoutaneously. It's almost entirely soft mechanics, but I felt like trying to use them without Dual Wield would be disingenuous. It's also what would allow her to swap between her weapons without having to interupt the flow of battle, since she's not exactly skilled with any of them.
Primordia, in my mind, could be unlocked from her getting a weapon with Primordia and using it enough for it to make it click. Or some combination of Ghost Touch/Spell Cancel weapons or what have you. I would understand it not being allowed as a Personal for her if that's how it works out.
New Open The Vaults is what it should have been, if I had stopped and thought about it. It's simple, clean, and most importantly, feels like a natural extension of her abilities. Soft Mechanics for Spoils and Punch-Through versus Spells... Yeah, it probably doesn't disarm unless the weapon was involved in the spell. Survivor's Spoils was another thing that just felt correct, even without Punch-Through. It's sneaky melee range synergy with Legacy Of The Fallen is especially brutal in some edge cases.
Recombining Primordia and Punch-Through into Grit Your Teeth is fine with me, assuming Primordia hangs around.

Throwing in a submission.

(Unified Darkness) Magical Girl Gravitation

Hannah Landy​

Stats

Base Health: 250
Base Damage: 200
Base Resilience: 100
Magic Modifier: 140
Affinities: Rule | Subjugation | Legend
Weapon

Sandalphon - Hovering Automated Weapons Loadout
Level: 1
Actions Per Turn: 2
Affinities: Rule
Abilities: Auto-Counter

Spell

Bring Down the Hammer
"Target Acquired. Sandalphon, All Weapons Hot!"
Level: 1
Base Damage: 500
Magic Modifier: 200 (300)
Affinities: Rule | Subjugation
Abilities: Homing | Full Auto | Supremacy | Total Charge
Abilities

Poise (Level 1)
Stand strong in the face of certain death.
-Governs Health.

Commander's Cloak (Level 1)
The Chief is on the scene.
-Governs Resilience.

On Your Knees
-Negate enemy movement abilities.

Titan Slayer
-Gravitation ignores size-based defenses. When Gravitation makes a Magic Modifier roll, she gains additional MM rolls equal to the highest enemy max health divided by her max health, rounded down.

Hannah Landy​

Stats

Base Health: 2500
Base Damage: 4000
Base Resilience: 1000
Magic Modifier: 2800
Weapon

Level: 20
Actions Per Turn: 7
Affinities: Rule
Abilities: Auto Assault | Auto-Counter | Double Tap (10) | Proxy Caster (20)

Spell

Bring Down the Hammer
Level: 35
Base Damage: 17500
Magic Modifier: 10500
Affinities: Rule | Subjugation
Abilities: Homing | Full Auto | Supremacy | No-Intercept (15) | Auto Max Charge (30)
Abilities

Poise (Level 10)
-Governs Health.

Commander's Cloak (Level 10)
-Governs Resilience.

On Your Knees

Titan Slayer
-Gravitation ignores size-based defenses. When Gravitation makes a Magic Modifier roll, she gains additional MM rolls equal to the highest enemy max health divided by her max health, rounded down.

Weight of Existence
-Enemies deal 30% less and take 30% more damage for each level of Existence Bonus they have above mortal. Fails against divinity.

Gravity confluence
-After Gravitation or S.H.A.W.L. casts Bring Down The Hammer, upgrade all of its abilities by one step for the rest of combat. If no upgrades are possible, increase its base damage by 100%. This ability stacks.

Dust Off My Cape
-If Gravitation is a target of, but not the only target of an attack or spell, reduce that attack or spell's damage by 99% before aliied intercept or defensive strings.

Forced Orbit
-If S.H.A.W.L. intercepts a ranged attack, it gains Unstoppable for that intercept conflict.

Likely midground:

Hannah Landy​

Stats

Base Health: 1250
Base Damage: 1000
Base Resilience: 500
Magic Modifier: 700
Weapon

Level: 5
Actions Per Turn: 3
Affinities: Rule | Legend
Abilities: Auto Assault | Auto-Counter

Spell

Bring Down the Hammer
Level: 5
Base Damage: 2500
Magic Modifier: 1000 (1500)
Abilities: Homing | Full Auto | Supremacy | Total Charge
Abilities

Poise (Level 5)
-Governs Health.

Commander's Cloak (Level 5)
-Governs Resilience.

On Your Knees

Titan Slayer

Weight of Existence
-All enemies lose Existence Bonus equal to Gravitation's. Fails against Divinity.

Dust Off My Cape
-If Gravitation is a target of, but not the only target of an attack or spell, reduce that attack or spell's damage by 99% before allied intercept or defensive strings.

S.H.A.W.L. is both shield and a extradimensional storage which fits a functionally infinite mass. Opening the portal further increases the mass's influence on the world.

On Your Knees: Gravitation is simply too metaphysically 'heavy' for enemies to use movement abilities around her. Pure physical-based strength may limit this abilities' effectiveness, and enemies who rely on magic to exist may find Gravitation a bit overwhelming.

Titan Slayer: Big things weigh more.

Weight of Existence: Gravitation simply reduces the narrative weight of everything else in the scene. Blame it on the mass.

Gravity Confluence: Accessing the extradimensional space makes future access easier.

Dust Off My Cape: Gravitation's cape is nearly immovable in its fixed relative position to Gravitation. It will soak up most attacks not specifically targeting her.

Proxy Caster damage off of S.H.A.W.L. is 50% of her damage. S.H.A.W.L. charges separately from Gravitation.

Backstory: Do you see how the world turns, how it builds Heroes and Villains from nothing, grants them overwhelming power so that it can play with them like toys? A world like that... why should it exist?

Last edited:
For everyone who's posted so far, I don't blame you for forgetting this considering I did too (I got excited), but please remember to add this at some point:
In addition to the usual mechanical options, I would like the following.
- A short description of why she is with the UD.
Anyway, Tarro
Magical Girl Gravitation
Mechanics-wise she seems functional, although the wording on cape is weird.

Balance-wise, her weapon gets too many abilities (I'd normally say only 3, but 4 makes sense with the auto effects) and her spell is a little overloaded at high levels - sticking more than one anti-defense ability on the same effect is a little iffy, especially a high-end one like Supremacy. (Also, supers usually don't come before 40 IIRC. Doesn't matter so much.) And it has a lot of abilities overall, too.

Theme-wise, I'm having trouble placing her. What is she supposed to be? She has an endless store of weapons in her shield, she has some kind of Gravity link (that I see only one real reference to in her kit), she has a thing for bringing down big, singular enemies (but also counters mobility and uses mainly an AoE), and she has Rule | Subjugation as her affinities. These aren't irreconcilable, but the first especially doesn't seem to have any link to her theme. And considering that's what she does everything with, I need to ask about it.

Balance-wise, her weapon gets too many abilities

I've cut Unerring and Omni-Caster from the growth list.

And it has a lot of abilities overall, too.

BP wise it'd be two base abilities, with a third added because of the negative ability Total Charge, but I can see how the spell is overloaded, especially since Supremacy is just extremely powerful. I've cut Detonate and moved the Unerring line to Homing on the base Spell.

Theme-wise, I'm having trouble placing her. What is she supposed to be?

I'm leaning more heavily into the Goddess Gold style of Rule affinity, the sort of 'there's nothing you can do about what I do' for much of her kit. I've rearranged her ability order and replaced an ability I wasn't entirely happy with with:

Weight of Existence
-Enemies deal 30% less and take 30% more damage for each level of Existence Bonus they have above mortal. Fails against divinity.

How's that look?

I am aware of that, but already knowing that the apex sheet won't be chosen, I figured I might as well add one more to give an indicator where I imagine her to be. Maybe that changes, maybe it doesn't. We will see.

I considered that, honestly. She was originally a Maker, but her kit... does not quite explode enough, if that makes sense?

She is certainly a strong Myth right now and I understand you being troubled by it. That is actually part of why Inviolable Law of Nature, the core piece of her kit, was nerfed to increase by 100% instead of doubling each time a clone dies. I can not tell ahead of time how well Fortune of Five will shake out, but it felt like a decent defense that is not "reduce damage by X%". I'll mull over what to do about it, though I am a little too attached to the concept to cut something entirely at this moment.

Will add the motivation in a moment. That, at least, I actually had worked out already and just forgot.

That is actually part of why Inviolable Law of Nature, the core piece of her kit, was nerfed to increase by 100% instead of doubling each time a clone dies.
I mean I advised that because that would be exponential stat growth on discount White Soul, which on a scale of yes to no is "lol no".

I've cut Unerring and Omni-Caster from the growth list.

BP wise it'd be two base abilities, with a third added because of the negative ability Total Charge, but I can see how the spell is overloaded, especially since Supremacy is just extremely powerful. I've cut Detonate and moved the Unerring line to Homing on the base Spell.

I'm leaning more heavily into the Goddess Gold style of Rule affinity, the sort of 'there's nothing you can do about what I do' for much of her kit. I've rearranged her ability order and replaced an ability I wasn't entirely happy with with:

Weight of Existence

How's that look?
The changes to the spell and weapon look fine. (Incidentally, note that it wasn't 2+Total Charge+1 more, it was 2, but you can have 3 if one of them is Total Charge.)

I'm not entirely positive how you intend that to work. Is it only the story/myth/legend/epic ladder it effects? If so, note that it totally negating Epic is...iffy. Unless it applies sequentially? If you intend it to count the makers (which are not considered mortal fwiw), that doesn't really work.

For a quick breakdown of what I think of each ability:

On Your Knees - Imposing Rule on/Subjugation of others. Ties into otherwise mostly unused Gravity theme. Looks good.

Titan Slayer - Okay, a sort of humbling of the mighty kit. I suppose I could see her theme being about how gravity imposes more on bigger things?

Weight of Existence - Okay, more humbling the mighty. This kind of focus on subjugating big things makes how On Your Knees is about being big herself a little awkward, but it should be fine.

Accelerated Permissions - Name's a little weird (why does she need permission for anything), but the effect's good, if a reason to look a little more closely at the spell for balance reasons.

Dust Off My Cape - Regal, self centered, neat rule effect. Soft mechanics are a little weird but okay.

Pinpoint Precision - okay I guess? Name doesn't really fit either the effect or the theme, but the latter doesn't bother me much because of how un-conceptual it is.

I suppose I can see how what I read as humbling effects are meant to be disregarding enemy defenses, but scaling with enemies like that really doesn't give that impression. And I'm still really curious what the endless supply of weapons has to do with anything - I was absolutely bewildered when I realized her spell wasn't some kind of gravitational storm.

(Unified Darkness) Magical Girl Shattered Clock
Sandra Maddox

Stats
Health:
Base Damage:
Base Resilience:
Magic Modifier:
Affinity: Time | ? | (Growth)
Weapon
Temporal-Ravaging Talons
-Twin claws, that seem to dance impossible and strike multiple times in the same instant.
Level ?
Attacks per Turn: 6
Affinity: Time
Ability: Double Hit
Spells

Abilities
Lost Moments Recalled
Level ?
-Shattered Clock is unnaturally resilient, as when injured moments from her past when she were healthy are brought into the 'now' to help sustain her.
-Governs health

Forgotten Seconds Cherished
Level ?
-Shattered Clock seems to almost stutter in her movements, almost as though she was experiencing real-life lag, and causing some damage to bypass her in the brief instants where she isn't quite in sync with the rest of the world.
-Governs Resilience, ignore non-magical piercing abilities when applying Resilience to incoming damage.

Unsealed Eye of Time (Active)
Level ?
-Briefly lifting her eyepatch, Shattered Clock reveals the device beneath; an ethereal clock imprinted on her pupil and iris, forever turning in reverse. Doing so reverses her own personal timeline, healing her body of any and all afflictions- but not without cost. For the next day her powers are weakened as they themselves are briefly reverted in time, and Shattered Clock herself loses a month from her age.
-Restore health to full and remove all debuffs and body modifiers, reduces the level of all Shattered Clock's abilities, spells and weapons by 1 (to a minimum of 0, indicating it cannot be used/has no effect) for the next 24 hours. Can only be used when at least one ability, spell, or weapon is at at least level 2.

Stuttering Hands of Time (Active)
Level ?
-Time seems to stutter and fail when Shattered Clock strikes, merging what would otherwise be disparate attacks into one.
-Up to this ability's level in attacks against the same target may be counted as a single attack, with a base damage of the combined total of the separate attacks. May be used whenever Shattered Clock has more than one attack available.

Unreal Agility
-Shattered Clock can perform feats of agility that stretch the laws of physics to their limit.

Masterful Dodge
-Sacrifice two actions to evade an enemy attack.
From a character/story perspective, the idea behind this character is that when she became a magical girl a portion of her magic focused in her eye in the form of a clock that represents her connection to time. However, for some reason she can hear that clock's ticking constantly- even when untransformed- and it's driven her somewhat over the edge. She joined with UD in the hopes of finding some way to get it removed or stopped after having no luck with help on the UL side, and her previous extreme attempts (including gouging out her own eye) failed to stop the endless ticking.

The basic idea behind this character from a mechanics perspective is a mixed dodge-tank and DPS build; she can either be hellishly hard to put down, or she can deal vicious burst damage. However, I'm having trouble coming up with a spell idea for her, or figuring out what her stats or remaining affinities should be. The obvious idea for a spell would be time clones (splits into multiple alternate timeline version of herself, all of them do stuff, then one of them and its actions become 'real'), but it's honestly actually too obvious for me to want to go for it. And stats... well, she's supposed to be relatively fragile with a relatively low base damage output (that she can boost via Stuttering Hands of Time and number of attacks), as she depends on dodge for primary defense, but I'm honestly unsure what would be appropriate.

...also, fun fact: I'm so used to PMAS Kirika that I'd legitimately forgotten her canon version had time powers until I'd already chosen to use her image and was halfway through the sheet. :V

And I'm still really curious what the endless supply of weapons has to do with anything - I was absolutely bewildered when I realized her spell wasn't some kind of gravitational storm.

I leaned too heavily into the concepts of the original image subject. Soft mechanics edited, and backstory added.

Weight of Existence modified:

Weight of Existence
-All enemies lose Existence Bonus equal to Gravitation's. Fails against Divinity.

Legend Affinity added to her weapon and spell.

For the meme!

(???)MG Dream Star

Stella Galilei

Stats

Health: 5000
Base Damage: 60
Base Resilience: 100
Magic Modifier: 30

Affinity: Star | Dream | Story Maker
Weapon

Wish Star
Level 6
ApT: 2
Affinities: Star
Ability: Levitate | Hypersonic 1
Spells

Oubliette
-Dream Star opens a hole to another dimension in (front of) her mouth and sucks the target in.

Level 5
Affinity: Star | Dream
Ability: Lockdown | Channel | Vacuum

Upchuck
-Dream Star spits out something from her "Oubliette" at velocity.

Level 10
Base Damage: 10
Magic Modifier: 10
Affinity: Dream
Ability: Knockback | Boost By Modifier

Nomnom
-Dream Star drains power from everything locked in her "Oubliette".

Level 1
Base Damage: 20% Target HP
Magic Modifier: 100% Target Resilience
Affinity: Dream
Ability: Consume | Assimilate | Scale To Target
Abilities

Iron Stomach Level 5
A strong stomach for a feast
-Govern Resilience

Bottomless Stomach: Level 3
-Dream Star's "Oubliette" is a pocket dimension filled with dark, damp heat and lined with squishy, slimy walls, which are impervious to damage from within. Within this space all personal abilities are negated. The "Oubliette" is always just large enough to contain whatever is captured, while being ever so slightly cramped. It may contain a number of targets equal to this ability's level.

You Are What You Eat
-If there's a victim locked in her "Oubliette", Dream Star can copy some or all of their sheet and use it in place of her own.

Rumbly in the Tumbly
-Every turn, if there is anyone/thing in her "Oubliette", Dream Star gains a free cast of Nomnom that applies to everything within the "Oubliette".

Vitaevore: Level 10
-If Dream Star kills someone/thing with Nomnom, she permanently absorbs a portion of their stats (1%/ability level) to add to her own, and add one ability from their sheet to hers. Also governs health.

Star Road
-Dream Star can use Wish Star as a vehicle.

High Speed Combat (lvl 1)
-Dream Star can react to objects moving at up to 90 mph

Still incomplete because veteran Dream Star would have had some feast and stat boosts from it. But none of us wants the headache of making that list, eh? :V

-Dream Star cannot level up abilities gained from Vitaevore normally.
-You are what you eat grants Dream Star a hat/head accessory symbolizing the thing she copied, if applicable, it changes her costume instead.
-In some cases, she would still not get a costume and just accessories.
-If Dream Star hits anything her size or larger while riding on Wish Star, she will be dismounted.
-Receiving a solid hit will also do the same.

Back