StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void

I got Mira and Horner, and I was expecting to enjoy them, but... don't get me wrong, they're fun and all, but Zagara is amazing.

Seriously, being able to go all "Send in the next wave, and then the next one, and get the hatcheries ready to build a few extra replacements once the chaff dies off" is incredibly fun.

I just had one of the icy planet missions where you have to take out the shuttles, and we wiped out the enemy bases by the time that we had reached the last 3 waves. I even built hatcheries and started mining resources there just for the hell of it.

It's not a delicate strategy, and she's not super at defense, but I have a lot of fun with her.

Last edited:
All right, I've been out of the loop for a while. I'm looking at the LotV Protoss units and...

What the hey? This "Disruptor" unit deals 145 splash damage and an additional 55 shield damage to nearby ground units and structures? Meanwhile, the High Templar is stuck with a piddly80 damage over 3 seconds and has to wait to use its damage dealing ability?

What bullshit is this?

EDIT: really, can someone just give me the run down on the LotV protoss units and how to best use the faction in game?

Storm is still very good in PvZ (where it's most used) and PvT against Bio; Mech it can help, but is far less useful. That said, Mech is what the disruptor are good against - it fires one manually controlled projectile with range just a bit shy of a seige tank that (after the next patch) will detonate after 2 seconds post-firing; it can absolutely destroy both clumped-up units like bio, or heavily damage armored units like tanks or immortals. That said, if your micro skills are bad, don't use them; they'll hurt you more than your opponents, especially if the core of your army is zombietoss (Immortal/archon/chargelot) which is fairly viable against any race until your opponent gets air control.

I'm struggling to see how the HT can not be outperformed on the ground with damage stats like that, though.

...why is it called that?
Templar can cast infrequently, maybe every 30 seconds (not honestly sure) but every storm can kill 20+ supply of zerg/bio if they dont dodge.

as for zombietoss... You make it, then you A+Click till their army and base is dead. No micro whatsoever required (Unless you add in templar, then you have to make sure they're with your army & storm when needed.) Also your warp prism; constantly reinforcing the meat grinder (chargelots) is vital the higher you go on ladder.

Just wait until you get Han and Horner and Zagara to defend in Dead of Night. :V

Mira and Horner are awful at defense, but strike platforms do allow them to take out a lot of infested structures even at night so long as they have some way of getting vision.

Zagara is also pretty decent at getting a good army out to burn a lot of buildings to the ground during the first day, and Zagara as a hero unit can hold the line for the first night well enough that you can focus almost entirely on your economy for the first night, allowing you to focus on getting those first armies out quick for the day, and bile launchers aren't bad at taking out chafe zombies.

But... yeah, overall I don't like the Mira and Horner team as much as I thought I might, which is a shame.

I'm struggling to see how the HT can not be outperformed on the ground with damage stats like that, though.
Storms are very useful for zoning and have a broader area than disruptors. You use them on Zerg who are either approaching, fleeing, or spread out in an arc to engage your army.

...why is it called that?
Because you a-move and it runs your enemies over. Archon/Immortal/Chargelot is basically the most powerful a-move army in the game.

Honestly speaking, I wonder what path the cooperative regime has gone. From the thing that everyone thought would last a couple of months, to the thing that Blizzard would prioritize over the single player because it brings them enough money. And apparently popular enough to make money. To be honest, it makes me wonder if the RTS has gone the wrong way all this time.

Honestly speaking, I wonder what path the cooperative regime has gone. From the thing that everyone thought would last a couple of months, to the thing that Blizzard would prioritize over the single player because it brings them enough money. And apparently popular enough to make money. To be honest, it makes me wonder if the RTS has gone the wrong way all this time.
Everyone knows the future of the RTS genre is in remasters and HD editions of old games.

Co-op is low stress & can be played by beginners without the 'consequences' of 1v1. I can certainly see the appeal, though I prefer 1v1 (just hit diamond yesterday.) that said, Co-op, even brutal,is less hard for players and less cinematic to watch, so tournaments being PvP (or PvT/PvZ) makes sense.

Everyone knows the future of the RTS genre is in remasters and HD editions of old games.
That is, the RTS game will become like chess? The graphics change, but the rules are the same.
Co-op is low stress & can be played by beginners without the 'consequences' of 1v1. I can certainly see the appeal, though I prefer 1v1 (just hit diamond yesterday.) that said, Co-op, even brutal,is less hard for players and less cinematic to watch, so tournaments being PvP (or PvT/PvZ) makes sense.
I think this is the goal. It will appeal to people who play the campaign and the arcade, but do not want to play multiplayer matches because it is too difficult for one reason or another. Apparently there are enough of such people to support this game mode.

It will appeal to people who play the campaign and the arcade, but do not want to play multiplayer matches because it is too difficult for one reason or another.
Pretty much; a RTS is much, much harder to get decent at in the first place which limits initial interest and the campaign for SC2 is... Amazing. Co-op is rather like it, less story but actual replayability. However... both are (discounting absolute speedruns) less than desirable to watch as Esports, which Brood war was the first. I won't watch a random master/GM doing mutation missions, but 1v1 can be entertaining.

Storm is instant, Disruptor is delayed. Also if the Disruptor dies before the shot goes off, it fizzles. If your High Templar dies after you pop the storm, you still got the storm.
EDIT: The disruptor is also 150/150 while the High Templar is 50/150. You go HT to dump gas because you've spent the minerals elswhere, Disruptor demands that mineral income.

Last edited:
Tbh if the Disruptor didn't have that damage going for it it'd be pure garbage instead of the situational tech it is now. The micro involved in using it, the risk of losing the shot entirely, the friendly fire problem with such a massive shot, the ease of use of HTs and the fact that you can turn them into Archons once their usefulness/energy is gone, and the fact that HTs instakill energy units that don't dump their stores, can't forget that.

Modding scene is what keeping some of the old RTS game alive nowaday

SC and WC modding scene is pretty good with some awesome custom campaign, map and custom game mode

So anyone think Serral will end up winning the globals again this year? The only series I saw that didn't look like a GM vs a diamond leaguer was the grand finals, and that was still a 4-0. The only person that appears to have his ticket is Innovation, who isn't human but a mechanical optimization of the 2/1/1 that assumes the opponent will do the perfect move against it every time & counters that (and Serral is the only person perfect enough that this works against every time.)

So anyone think Serral will end up winning the globals again this year? The only series I saw that didn't look like a GM vs a diamond leaguer was the grand finals, and that was still a 4-0. The only person that appears to have his ticket is Innovation, who isn't human but a mechanical optimization of the 2/1/1 that assumes the opponent will do the perfect move against it every time & counters that (and Serral is the only person perfect enough that this works against every time.)
Serral's performance in WCS Spring was pretty good, it's true, but I think overall he has been doing significantly worse than last year. He was knocked out of Katowice in the quarterfinals by SoO, lost WESG to Innovation, and lost WCS Winter to Reynor. (He also dropped a series to Heromarine.)

That's not to say he's not doing well; he is. But from about April of 2018 onward he was entirely dominant and won every major tournament he entered, and that streak ended with the Global Finals.

From what I understand, he basically took a vacation from the finals until About a week before Katowice - and still put on a showing that would be astonishing for anyone else. That said, I agree that his winter months left much to be desired; his WESG performance was also not at the top of his form, though certainly stronger than IEM. Wcs winter, though... honestly I think serral was jobbing a in the finals. I suppose challenger for summer and home story cup XIX will be telling; if he wins them as decisively as he did spring, I'll attribute it to his vacation leaving him rusty, but if he doesn't (or even struggles much) then I'll accept that the Night King has fallen from his Finnish throne.

Rest in peace, Geoff 'InControl' Robinson. You were a snarky bastard, but one that nearly always had a point and that I hoped to continue watching for years more. You will be missed, and I hope that your passing went without pain.

While some don't like him, Winter has been one of the largest voices in the SC2 community for several years; in the post Blizzcon patch, he finally will become part of the game he loves. If you like announcer packs, I suspect this will be one of the best yet; if you want to preview some of the lines, it's currently the announcer for Starchess in the arcade.

While some don't like him, Winter has been one of the largest voices in the SC2 community for several years; in the post Blizzcon patch, he finally will become part of the game he loves. If you like announcer packs, I suspect this will be one of the best yet; if you want to preview some of the lines, it's currently the announcer for Starchess in the arcade.

It had better start off with "WELCOME TO BROOONNNZZEEE LEAGGUEEEEE HEROEEESSSS!"

There are 5 openings, one of which is "Welcome to BRONZE LEEE-ahem." Pretty much ever winterism that has lasted over a year seems to be in there in some form.

Congrdulations to the new world champion,
Dark!

Yup; congratulations, and hopefully the swarm host/nydus build gets hit with a nerf-bat the size of the Empire State Building.

Back