Real shame that Star Wars doesn't put out narratives about dogma and being consumed by hatred, it'd really help if they did. Oh wait, they did. The latest are called Cataclysm and Path of Vengeance. Both are good.

As Bluntblade noted this show is particularly presented as a departure from the Mandalorian and Ahsoka, and flatly to ignore the overall trend of responses atm is silly.

A departure from the previous shows it may be, but then the question must be asked - why should Disney be trusted to produce anything good considering how badly their previous shows have been received. That and the bad state of Hasbro in their recent earnings report seem to indicate that the Star Wars fanbase has turned away from it. I must admit The Acolyte trailer did not impress me or spark much interest.

A departure from the previous shows it may be, but then the question must be asked - why should Disney be trusted to produce anything good considering how badly their previous shows have been received. That and the bad state of Hasbro in their recent earnings report seem to indicate that the Star Wars fanbase has turned away from it. I must admit The Acolyte trailer did not impress me or spark much interest.
If you don't want them do do what they're doing, and you don't want them to do something different to what they're doing, then what do you want? Let's also not forget that just about everyone under the sun seemed to love the first season of The Mandalorian, and Andor went down well too. People have real short memories sometimes.

I remember when they all let Episode 7 get a free pass out of shallow nostalgia.

If anything, "hey no it's actually very different from Mando/Boba Fett" would tend to make me want to watch it (no, not really) : the latest "different" thing they did was Andor, and that ruled.

Personally, I think going centuries into the past and/or future is exactly what Star Wars needs to reinvigorate the franchise- take the setting and tell new stories with it.

For that reason alone I'm cautiously optimistic about the Acolyte.

Tbh, what's the wider context re toy sales?

But anyway, the High Republic has been facing an uphill PR battle with certain corners of the fandom since the moment it was announced. I remember r/saltierthancrait declaring that it was a character assassination of Yoda back in October 2019.

"A sabotage against Gina Carano".
Lol
Lmao

Gina sabotaged herself just fine.

So funny that all Gina Carano had to do was not post Nazi memes and not tell her much more famous co-star his sister was a sexual predator and she could have cruised to stardom quietly fumbling lines like "They're cutting through the blast door"

And yet

Wait, are we talking about YouTube dislikes? The actual count of dislikes is officially turned off; any estimate of them is coming specifically from people who went out of there to download an extension for dislikes, and then extrapolating from them. In other words, it's an inherently biased sample from people who feel negative about stuff that they go out of their way to get the ability to dislike videos. It's a pretty worthless measure nowadays.

I thought people still liked the first season?!
I still do bit I admitedly took a complete break from all Star Wars stuff right after watching it.
And S2 too. Plenty of people will still tell you that Disney Star Wars peaked with The Rescue, much as that makes me shake my head.

It remains deeply weird to me that S3 gets treated as this sudden downturn, because to me it's just the point where the up and down of previous seasons shifted to overwhelmingly "down". Its problems are largely those of the earlier seasons, but now the likes of The Marshal and The Believer are absent.

If you don't want them do do what they're doing, and you don't want them to do something different to what they're doing, then what do you want? Let's also not forget that just about everyone under the sun seemed to love the first season of The Mandalorian, and Andor went down well too. People have real short memories sometimes.
How about more of what we got in Mandalorian S1 before it went to shit with S2, Book of Boba Fett and S3 and lets not forget the trash heap that was Kenobi and Ashoka, but...

...the thing is that with how passed over Andor got, while still being a well done show, the low number of action figure sells(mind you the classics are still sold easy) and the blasting The Acolyte received( 9.5 mil views, 182k UP and 575k DOWN) as it stands Star Wars is spent, or at the very least the trust towards Disney is spent. That's the truth the way I see it, what I want? For Disney to sell it to someone who will love it. The well is poisoned and if The Acolyte bombs or is, like Andor, passed over and forgotten it will just re-enforce it in my mind - Disney Star Wars is finnished as a franchise.

So fun fact - during the production of the Prequels, the lightsabers were prop hilts attached to "blades" that were basically like radio aerials (long, thin wires) standing in for the laser. These props broke all the time because, you know, they were just thin wires, and you can find clips of MacGregor and Christiansen joking about how they became BFF's with the prop assistant whose only job was to hand out fresh hilts. So, while these prop lightsaber hilts were pretty fragile, they were also pretty disposable, so you could easily whirl them around however you wanted and if it broke you just got another.

When it came time for the sequels, the productions switched over to using LED light tubes to stand in for the lightsaber blades. These lights are insanely adjustable in their color temp and intensity, so it makes sense to use them because it's about as close as you can get to a practical lightsaber. It opens up all kinds of new shots and creative ways to use it, since now the prop itself creates its own motivated lighting (no need for expensive and time consuming CGI) and gives the actors something with the weight and heft of the ostensible real thing. I'm sure for the actual fights where blades are crossing they're using plain green sticks or reinforced plexiglass blades or something, but most of the every day stuff is practical lights.

The upshot of this change is that the lightsaber props are now a lot more delicate and fragile (since a lot of the time they're packed with electronics to power the LED's), which means the fights are necessarily gonna be slower and more deliberate because now you can't just fabricate a hundred and grab a new one from the prop cart.

As someone who's lived through the "wooden dowel -> Aluminum tube -> carbon fibre tube-> polycarbonate light-up tube" eras of making mouth noises while swinging sticks at friends, I feel like someone needs to tell the star wars productions that it's now 2024 and there's at least six or twelve websites you can buy color programmable LED full-contact full-force lightsabers from. LIke if a dozen college kids and their local lightsaber fight club can smash these things on the concrete, surely they can withstand filming a choreographed duel.

How about more of what we got in Mandalorian S1 before it went to shit with S2, Book of Boba Fett and S3 and lets not forget the trash heap that was Kenobi and Ashoka, but...

...the thing is that with how passed over Andor got, while still being a well done show, the low number of action figure sells(mind you the classics are still sold easy) and the blasting The Acolyte received( 9.5 mil views, 182k UP and 575k DOWN) as it stands Star Wars is spent, or at the very least the trust towards Disney is spent. That's the truth the way I see it, what I want? For Disney to sell it to someone who will love it. The well is poisoned and if The Acolyte bombs or is, like Andor, passed over and forgotten it will just re-enforce it in my mind - Disney Star Wars is finnished as a franchise.
I'mma be real blunt with you, I have heard non-stop about how the end of Star Wars is nigh and Kathleen Kennedy is just days away from being fired for like seven years now. I will believe it when I see it at this point.

The fanbase was all down fine with Mando s2, Andor certainly wasn't overlooked because I still never stop hearing about it, the Jedi Fallen Sequel was just as popular as the first one, for reasons beyond my comprehension the fanbase is heavily invested in Bad Batch and trying to gauge action figure sales as a meaningful metric of all things is just kinda funny. Youtube dislikes partially inflated by brigading grifters mean even less, and tying your personal appraisal of an upcoming project to that is extremely foolhardy.

It will continue to print money. Expecting Disney to sell that, much less for a company with the funds to being inclined to treat it with any less cynicism to buy it, is a losing game.

Would I love it if the magical unicorns came down to acquire Star Wars an throw the Sequels out along with the Maul revival and spawn some magical new age of creative prosperity? Yes.

Is it going to happen? Lol no.

Is there any point obsessing over the dislike ratio of a trailer for something that actually seems to have creative ideas at play with no strings attached to the issues with other Disney SW works? Also no.

As someone who's lived through the "wooden dowel -> Aluminum tube -> carbon fibre tube-> polycarbonate light-up tube" eras of making mouth noises while swinging sticks at friends, I feel like someone needs to tell the star wars productions that it's now 2024 and there's at least six or twelve websites you can buy color programmable LED full-contact full-force lightsabers from. LIke if a dozen college kids and their local lightsaber fight club can smash these things on the concrete, surely they can withstand filming a choreographed duel.

I am fairly certain that Lucasfilm is using the newer style blades like you would find from Ultrasabers. I seem to recall Disney ordering a bunch of sabers from them after The Force Awakens for some event, so they know.

Has the House of Mouse ever sold a neglected IP to someone, let alone someone that would make use of it?

Has the House of Mouse ever sold a neglected IP to someone, let alone someone that would make use of it?
Of course. In the 2000s, the Disney Corporation owned the Power Rangers franchise because they'd bought Fox Kids Worldwide and it came with the package. Then 2010 came around and Disney sold the franchise right back to Saban.

I suspect Andor has done pretty well in terms of rewatches and that its dvds and blu-rays will, by current standards, sell quite healthily. Word of mouth was very positive.

And to be frank, lots of people enjoyed Mando S3 and Ahsoka. They still watched them and they placed fairly highly in terms of ratings.

Last edited:
Would I love it if the magical unicorns came down to acquire Star Wars an throw the Sequels out along with the Maul revival and spawn some magical new age of creative prosperity? Yes.

Is it going to happen? Lol no.

If all the people frustrated by all this started campaigning for the abolishment / heavy reduction of IP&copyright legislation and this then gained steam, things might get closer to that ideal - cause if anyone with a budget and a willing cast can have a go, without having to "acquire the rights" or else get sued, then you're more likely to eventually end up with something of quality.

Maybe it's cause I've still not gotten around to Mando (stopped halfway through s1e1 due to falling asleep during the scene where he enters his helmet cult base - only seen bits and snippets outside of that, mostly from a few video essays/reviews) but I thought BoBF was pretty damn good and not that far below Andor (s1) - both had some issues with incompleteness and structure, but BoBF was only 7 episodes, or 5 (6?) if you don't count the Din segment.

Back