Star Wars: A Penumbral Path

Interesting very interesting I'm honesty surprised the rest of the order even let him get a paddawan then again they didn't make it easy did they. What year is this story taking place in any plans to handle the whole order 66 business or will this just because these
Two learning to be real Jedi?

Story's like this show how great Star Wars can be sadly most of the Star Wars content is horrible.
"Let" seems like the wrong word. He basically just grabbed a student and got out immediately. There wasn't much time for the temple to object (except for the one apparently really under qualified master).

I wish I could list good SW fics, but the only* good stuff I have found outside of this story has been crack.
*Recently at least

"Let" seems like the wrong word. He basically just grabbed a student and got out immediately. There wasn't much time for the temple to object (except for the one apparently really under qualified master).

I wish I could list good SW fics, but the only* good stuff I have found outside of this story has been crack.
*Recently at least

Technically, he followed the rules, which allows for Masters just grabbing Padawans from the large pool of Initiates that've passed their Trials (though the practice nowadays is for the Initiates that've washed out and are working in one of the Temple Ancillaries (AgriCorps, Exploration Corps, etc.)), and getting official permission is only a nicety. If he were a Knight, there might be room to object, but as a Master he already has the right to take Padawans as he wants (but only one at a time), and only the High Council has the power to stop him, which, as it's been over a century, they didn't think they needed to do.

Also, for good SW fics, Using the Force Made Easy, Rogue Knight, and Hindsight is not Perfect (and its sequels) are all good, and all (occasionally) updating.

Sadly I could never get into Rogue Knight or Hindsight.
I did forget about Appoapples stories though. Almost all of them are time travel, fair warning if anyone doesn't like that.
Edit: Typos

Last edited:
I finally realized what the writing style reminded me of - the 'Sword of Truth' series.

master lucien is 80% sure Lucien Draay from the mandalorian wars
and the thing he regrets would be the padawan massacre

Arc 1 Epilogue
Epilogue – 587 BBY ~563 years before the Clone Wars

He struggled to lift the training weight, the third smallest one the Temple possessed, and barely made it budge.

Centering himself in the Force, Er'izma tried again, pushing with all his might, pale green skin flushing darkly as he tried to force it to move, only getting a single, tiny jump from the small metal ball, which clattered on his desk, not even leaving its cradle.

"Damnit," he whined, knowing it was whining, and hating himself for it. But he was fourteen, less than a year before he'd be shipped off the Agricorps, never to be a Jedi. At least I have my lightsaber, he thought glumly, having struggled to make even that, when the other Initiates in his clan had done so near effortlessly.

He wanted to blame someone else, even though it wasn't the 'Jedi Way', but there was no one to blame but himself. Midichlorian counts, the way the Order had discovered to measure a Jedi's raw power, had shown him that. To be considered for Jedi training, normally one had to have a score of at least seven thousand, but he only had six thousand. Less than that, really, five thousand eight hundred, but as low as it was, there wasn't that much difference.

It was only after he was an Initiate for years, struggling, that they'd tested his count, but he had been delivered to the temple as an infant, and had no were else to go. All he had was his name, a set of coordinates, and the knowledge that he could never go home. So he tried, he tried so hard, but it never seemed to matter.

And the worst part? Everyone was so nice about it.

They said they understood, but, it was more than just words, if they'd been lying to him he could have been mad about that. No, it was the way they spoke to him, the way they understood his pain, his anger, his rage, and talked to him about how, while natural to feel such things, holding onto them would only hurt him. And he tried his best, tried not to let it control him, tried to move past it, but it was hard to move past something when the very circumstance that caused it was still something he lived with every day.

They still praised him, about how, given his lack of ability, the fact that he was still able to do what he did, was worthy of respect. However when the other members of his ever-shrinking clan, as more and more were taken as Padawans, could do with ease what he struggled with, that didn't help. Nor did the interviews with prospective masters, each and every one ending with his rejection, in a way that showed they didn't hold his weakness against him, merely that others could benefit from their training more.

But he'd gotten used to it.

He didn't get angry, not that much, he just noted the dull ache in his chest every time he was reminded of his failure, and tried to move past it. Once more, he focused to try to lift the training weight again. You couldn't build Force capability like you could muscles, but you could improve skill, and when he'd first started, he hadn't been able to lift even the smallest of training weights, capable of only moving the learning tools, and only with the strongest of efforts.

This time, instead of a jump, as he tried to focus not just on trying to make the ball lift, but on how it lifted. It, ever so slowly, started to raise, even as Er'izma took in deep, gasping gulps of air, body shaking with the effort, but, inch by inch, he did it.

Then there was a knock at the door, and, his focus shattered, the ball quietly clunked down into its cradle once more.

"Kriff!" he swore, but, wiping the off his brow, he pushed himself away from the desk and headed for the door, toggling it, and seeing no one. Hearing a cleared throat, he looked down, finding Master Yoda standing there, looking up at him with wry amusement. "Oh, um, hi?" he stuttered, unsure. "I know I skipped your lesson, Master, but the schedule said it was on the Central Six, but I still remember all six lessons in the sequence you gave last year, and-"

"Not for that, am I here," the small being told him. "Though, unless mastered it you have, instruction, you could use."

Waving a hand, Er'izma quickly replied, "No, it's not that! I, I just still can't, so. . ."

"So waste my time, you did not wish?" Yoda nodded, with an understanding smile. "For that to decide, upon me, is it not? But come, Initiate Er'izma, you will. Old friend, I wish you to meet."

"Oh, um okay," the teen replied, falling into step alongside the small master. Even to his weak senses, the tiny alien was a mountain in the Force, an enormous presence that just seemed. . . right to be around, comforting, and dependable, even if it made him feel so incredibly small.

At five feet tall, knowing he'd only grow an inch or two, being around someone shorter than himself was always a little odd to Er'izma. Someone that wasn't even younger then he was, he corrected. The difference between their sizes in reality, and in the Force, was almost comical, but he didn't feel like laughing. No, he was used to that to, as he helped the younger students when he could. He helped them get started, when he was recovering from having pushed himself trying to train, and so was used to such a difference in height, and the reversal of it in Force ability, already.

With his experience, struggling for every bit of skill he had, he was able to let others take those first steps, even if they quickly surpassed him in mere days. It was the only thing he was good at, and the only way he could help, so he made sure to whenever he had free time. Master Ghrathan had suggested he could work in the educational corps, but while he wanted to help people, spending his entire life constantly being reminded of his own failings was more than he could take.

"Let yourself dwell, you must not. Cannot be changed, some things are," Master Yoda chided, and Er'izma winced, nodding, obviously an open book to someone as skilled as a Jedi Master.

They continued to walk in silence, finally stopping at the meeting rooms, Yoda opening one with a wave of his hand, not breaking stride. "Greetings, Hawk-bat," the Jedi Master said. "Long time, it has been, since last we have met."

Inside, standing and looking out the window of the well-lit room, was a slim, blonde man, barely any taller than Er'izma himself. In the Force, however, he stood out starkly, a glowing monolith of strength to the young man's senses. As powerful as Yoda, maybe a little less, the man's presence was condensed, held tight to his form, instead of spread-out like it was for the smaller Jedi, and he seemed to shine like a beacon because of it.

Dressed in the same brown robes as all the Order wore, the Master Jedi smiled at Yoda. "Greetings, Jumping Bean. It has been far too long. I would've come sooner, but, when one hears the Will of the Force. . ."

"Follow, one must," Yoda nodded. "Understand, I do. Too, must I leave, for call me, it does. Enough time, Spare, I could, to do this."

The unnamed Jedi smiled, "And here I had hoped you would be able to spare enough time for a spar. You might even win this time."

The small green Jedi gave the other Master a measuring gaze. "Recall, I do, winning our last confrontation. In error, my memory is?"

"After losing the last three," the blonde man replied with mock offense, before chuckling. "But, Force Wills, it will be less than a decade before we cross paths again. Now, who is this youngling?"

Feeling the other Jedi's attention on him, Er'izma froze, not sure what was going on. He had hopes, but he'd had hopes before, but. . .

"Initiate Er'izma, this young man is," Master Yoda announced, waving in his direction. "Your Padawan, Master Lucian, he will become."

He could practically feel the surprise coming from the other Jedi, rippling through the Force. "Oh, is he? It might have been a few decades since I last took an apprentice, Master Yoda, but I don't believe that's how these things are done."

"Normally, correct, you would be," the small Jedi nodded, leaving it at that.

Er'izma had to interrupt, "Master Yoda, that isn't right. Just because I'm weak in the Force doesn't mean you can just, just assign me a Master!"

The diminutive Jedi snorted, "Good, it is, then, that behind this, I am not."

"Then who?" Lucian asked, brows furrowing. "Did my cousin put you up to this?"

"Knight Fey?" Yoda asked in turn, shaking his head. "Unknowing of this, she is, though close, you are, in a certain way. Share a name with her, the architect of this does."

The Initiate blinked, trying to figure out who that could be. There were over thirty-thousand Jedi in the Order, the chances of him knowing who it was were minimal. One came to mind, but it surely couldn't be-

"Grandmaster Faye Coven?" Lucian asked, Yoda nodding in reply, which prompted a sigh. "Of course it is."

Er'izma looked between the two Masters. "The Grandmaster? But, I'm just an Initiate. And barely one at that!"

"Jedi, you are, youngling. Her job, it is, to care for all of us, great and small," Yoda reminded him, before turning to Lucian. "Refuse, you still can. Force you, she cannot. Only suggest."

"I'm not so arrogant as to ignore a suggestion from my elders," Lucian mused, snorting as Yoda made a doubtful sound. "Given you didn't talk until you were nearly sixty, you don't count, Jumping Bean."

The small Jedi master sighed, "Content with besting you martially, suppose I must be. Consider her request, you should. Agree with it, I do, as Master Samartha does. Go, I must."

"I will, Yoda, and may the Force be with you," Master Lucian nodded.

It was a gesture the other Master returned, "As it is with you, Lucian." Turning to Er'izma, he added, "Worry not, Initiate. His bite, less is, than his bark, I believe. With the Force, this Jedi walks." With that declaration, the small being walked out the door, leaving the two of them behind in the room.

"So, youngling, come over to me," Master Lucian beckoned, and the Initiate found himself walking without meaning to. "Er'izma, he said your name was? What species are you?"

"I, I don't know," the short young man admitted. "I've lived my entire life in the Temple, and no one I asked could tell me. I know I'm from the Unknown Regions, that's all."

That alone had caused one Jedi Master to decide not to take him, but Master Lucian merely nodded.

"And your command of the Force?" was asked.

"I am. . . I'm weak," the boy admitted, having already stated it, and now waiting for what he knew was coming.

The older man nodded, "I know, I felt that when you walked in, but that isn't what I asked. Or, perhaps, I could have phrased that better." Taking a commlink from a belt pocket, he requested, "Please lift this."

Holding out a hand, Er'izma focused, with all he had, and tried to use the Force to make the device rise, not just through brute effort, but, as he'd been trying not even an hour previously, to support and raise it on a thin pillar of will.

Slowly, falteringly, it rose, wobbling, but it did, and he felt a thrum of victory sing through him, able to do so. Until Lucian reached out and poked it, sending it spinning, whereupon it fell, and he only barely stopped it from hitting the ground. Breathing hard, ever so slowly, he caused it to raise again.

Suddenly, it flew up, a force far greater than he could muster lifting it and smoothly directing it back into Lucian's pocket, as the Master merely followed it with his eyes, not moving his hand at all. "I believe you are the weakest Jedi I have ever met," he commented, conversationally, and Er'izma felt his heart break.

"I. . . understand," he said, slowly turning and heading for the door, only to be stopped as a bright gold wall sprung up in front of him, a construct made of the Force itself. Turning back around, he saw the Jedi had gestured outwards. "Master Lucian?"

"I do not think, you do, in fact, understand," the Jedi mused. "While, had I decided to take another Padawan on my own, you are not what I would be looking for, I think that, is perhaps, why Grandmaster Coven directed you to me. Tell me, Youngling, do you know who I am? Who my Master was, who my previous Padawans were?"

Er'izma shook his head. "No, sir. But there are a lot of Jedi," he added, a little defensively.

"To put it bluntly, they were Fallen Jedi, all of them," The man commented, seeming to age slightly at the declaration, shoulders drooping for a moment, as if under great weight. "I helped guide them back to the Force, and put them to rest, but, I believe you can see why I haven't taken another?"

The teen could, and, thinking about it, suddenly this entire thing made a bit of sense. "So, the Grandmaster wants you to train me, because if I Fall, I won't be a threat?" It was depressing, that it was his weakness that had given him this opportunity, instead of any of his strengths. But, perhaps, it was the Jedi way, to turn weaknesses into strengths?

"Every Fallen Jedi is a threat," the Master Jedi corrected, "But, that is likely one of the reasons why. Tell me, Initiate, what kind of Padawans do you think I took on?"

"Strong ones?" Er'izma shrugged. "You're strong, so you took on apprentices that were like you?" It was the reason nearly a dozen Masters had rejected him.

Lucian nodded, "Indeed, whereas you and I could not be more different. They were strong, not as strong as I was, at their point in training, but close enough that I thought I could use my own experiences to guide them. However, that was never enough. They always looked for more. More strength. More control. More skill. I told them that comparing themselves to me was foolish, if only because of our differences in experience, but each and every one of them eventually embraced the Dark Side. Two as Padawans, one as a Knight, and one as a Master, dragging her own Padawan into the Dark with her. All did so to gain power they could not, or would not, grow into naturally. They could not listen to the Will of the Force, to know that their abilities were more than enough to help others."

At this, Er'izma had to chuckle. When Lucian shot him a questioning glance, he shrugged again. "I've never been as powerful as the other Initiates. Students half my age have more ability in the Force than I do. I know I'll never be as strong as you, Master Lucian," he commented self-deprecatingly.

"And that is the second reason I believe the old rodent suggested you," the man smiled, getting the Initiate's confused attention. "I chose the gifted, the strong, hoping that they, like me, would learn to channel their power for the good of all, but they were. . . prideful, in a way I didn't realize until it was far too late. You may have your flaws, young man, but I do not believe that pride is one of them."

Er'izma wanted to argue, but he couldn't. Not really. What did he have to be proud about? "You said the second, was there a third?" he asked, hopeful, but tempering that feeling with experience.

Lucian nodded, taking out the commlink again. "I'm not sure exactly what you did." From his hand, the device levitated, and, when he poked it, the entire thing moved smoothly to the side. "Yours spun. Why?"

The young man blinked. "Um, because you pushed it?"

The Jedi shook his head, "Please lift this, I want to see what you're doing."

"Oh, um, okay?" Er'izma offered, reaching and concentrating. It was difficult, but, with focus, it wobbled up.

Lucian circled the device, examining it, gently poking and prodding it, forcing the Initiate to hurriedly change the center of balance to keep it up. Finally, it was too much, and, with a gasp, the commlink started to fall, before it froze, mid-air. "Thank you, youngling. I think I understand what you did now. Your use of the Force, it is weak, so. . . you have used only as much as needed."

Yes? Er'izma thought, not sure where the Master was trying to say, and his confusion was apparent as, with a wave of his hand, two dozen golden Force Barriers appeared around the object, all pushing in and holding it in place.

"This is how we teach it, in a way," the Jedi stated, and the Initiate nodded, remembering the lesson. "By pressing in every direction, we keep what we move secure, keep it in place, and doing so lets us move it exactly how we want to, but it is. . . wasteful. Each piece pressing on the opposite side cancels each other out even when not needed." Two by two, the barriers started disappearing, until only a single pair remained, one pressing down, and one pressing up.

Then, the one pressing down disappeared.

Looking at the visual representation of the very thing Er'izma had been doing, Lucian nodded, trying to move it, only for the commlink to start to fall, another three barriers flashing into existence to catch it.

"Oh, this is far more difficult than it looks," the Jedi Master commented to himself, removing them until only the single barrier remained, and, trying to move it again, made it further, trying to correct for the wobbles, only for it to start to fall once more, caught invisibly by telekinesis before it hit the ground.

Shaking his head, Lucian stored the commlink, and turned back to a silent teen. "And this is the third reason, young Padawan. I have been blessed by the Force with an abundance of power, but I, to put it simply, paint with too broad a brush at times. With gallons of pigment, I can do so without issue, but you only have a single vial, and so you, in your artistry, likely far surpass my skill at even twice, thrice, or even five times your age. I will have much to teach you, young Er'izma, but, if you will have me, I believe that, unlike my previous Padawans, you may have much to teach me as well."

"You, you called me Padawan," the young man blinked, trying to process what he was hearing. The others had praised him for what he could do, with as little as he had, but they had never, not once, said that he had been better then them, at anything. "You. . . you think I'm skilled?"

"For a Padawan, yes," Lucian replied simply. "For a Knight, not particularly, but that, I believe, is the point of my being your Master, if you'll have me. I warn you, youngling, the paths I walk are dangerous, and sometimes dark, but it is by doing so that I, and you, can help bring Light to the shadowed corners of the galaxy."

The man offered an outstretched hand, and Er'izma started to take it, before hesitating. "You, you really think I could help?" he asked again. "As more than just a farmer?"

Not pulling back his limb, Lucian nodded. "The Will of the Force speaks quite loudly to me, though it is harder to hear closer to the Core, and it was what directed me here, not any call from the Grandmaster. I truly believe this is what it intended, though it rarely expresses itself plainly. I do not speak falsehoods, young Er'izma. Will you join me in my quest?"

For a moment, the young Initiate felt a sense of foreboding, as if to take the offered hand would mean his death, or far worse, but he cast his mind out to the Force, as he'd been taught, not that it'd ever spoken to him, and asked the Will of the Force itself if doing this would let him help people.

What he got back wasn't his own thoughts, wasn't even in words, but the sense of it was clear.

The Force said yes.

Blinking back tears, nearly overcome with emotion, not that Lucian seemed to care, Er'izma took the Master Jedi's hand.

"I will," he promised. "I'll help you however I can."

And, in doing so, young Er'izma sealed his fate.

And that wraps up the first 'Book!' Normally, I'd take a week or two off, but given the bi-weekly (ish) posting schedule, Book 2 will start on the 15th as usual (the chapter itself already 1/3 written). Thank you for reading this, and if you'd like to read my chapters as soon as they're written, you can support me on Patreon!

Last edited:
Just wanna say this is one of the best fanfics I've ever read, and I'm quite looking forward to seeing where it goes next. I'm not good at constructive criticism, or explaining exactly what it is that I liked, but I *really* liked it. Thank you.

I agree with Kachajal here, this is one of the top... perhaps 3 percent of fanfic I've encoutered, and I've read *a lot* of fanfic. Thanks for writing! I think the most interesting and unique part of the story is the take you have on these 'renegade,' or perhaps even 'grey' in Lucian's case, jedi. They feel a little like Qui-Gon would have been as a master (this going off his appearance in Ep 1, not the EU stuff, he's kinda an ass there) but more extreme. I especially like that your Master characters come to the same conclusion (don't blindly follow the force around like a brain-damaged puppy) from different directions. Er'isma's direction seems to hug closer to temple doctrine (the force has its own will, and the Dark is a perversion of that), but he seems to fall farther from the way jedi are ''supposed to" operate than Lucy does, for example, heading a 'judicial force,' taking many official apprentices, training force sensitives on the side, etc., where Lucy is different emotionally and in personal action, but follows the standards of training an apprentice nearly to a T, perhaps further.

Book 2 Chapter 1

Initiates, JOREL DRETTZ and ANAÏS-VAND RYSSA, are accepted by two mysterious masters. Neither Master's views aligns with that of the TEMPLE on CORUSCANT, and both Padawans are learning that there is more to being a Jedi than they first thought.

ANAÏS' Master, LUCIAN, an ancient Jedi the TEMPLE would rather forget existed, travels off the plotted hyperspace lanes in a cloaked ship, going where the FORCE directs to bring peace, usually through killing all that would threaten it. After some initial training, ANAÏS, charged with a mission to find and save someone by the FORCE itself, does so, though her victory leaves her mostly unfulfilled.

JOREL's master, ER'IZMA, commands a capital ship, the DOVE, from which he directs his personal legion, the FLOCK, to bring peace to the galaxy through military might. JOREL finds himself drafted by the Knight, partnered with the enigmatic CHISS woman HISKU'BIATHA'PUSI, who herself has talent in the FORCE, a fact that she hates. Directed by the FORCE, the pair saved dozens of lives, but in order to survive themselves JOREL had to use the DARK SIDE of the FORCE, something he promised himself he never would do again.

Both Padawans are only a few months into their training, but both have gone through their first trials, and come out successful, if not unscathed. Both believe they will have years to grow, as the GALACTIC REPUBLIC has been at peace for nearly a millennia. However, both are learning that there is a difference between the Republic, and the Galaxy as a whole. . . .
Anaïs ran through the jungle, pulse in her ears, Force singing through her body, seconds away from death, exactly where she was supposed to be.

The herd of beasts charged forward behind her, nipping at her heels, trampling everything in their path as she leapt over fallen trees, swung on branches, keeping herself on the path her master had outlined. The creatures, fifteen feet tall, six limbed, and green furred, had taken exception to the smell of the pendant Master Lucian had handed her, along with the warning 'don't squeeze it, or things will go badly'. Through the Force she could feel said master nearby, closing in, followed by a second, larger herd, a dark shape that darted in next to her, the two groups of animals merging into one angry mass.

"Why hello Padawan," he greeted, the smug jerk, not even winded as she was almost gasping, his ability with the skill of Force Body easily outstripping her own. "Fancy meeting you here."

"How much farther?" she demanded, legs feeling heavy, even as she pushed herself not to fall behind the Jedi. A small piece of her was glad to have him here, a way to know that she was keeping far enough in front of the herd that she wouldn't be hit by their reaching, fanged trunks, but not far enough that they'd give up. A larger part of her was annoyed that she was even here in the first place.

The Jedi Master smiled, "Only another hour or so." She looked at him, aghast, about ready to fall down on the spot. "Or minutes. I get them confused. Whichever one's shorter," he added, catching her as she tripped over a vine she hadn't noticed, pulling her out of the way as an angry creature tried to gore her. Despite his smaller size, he moved her as if she were weightless, helping her back to her feet as they both ran.

"Master Lucian," she tried to growl angrily, knowing he was needling her to see if she could remain calm but not caring, too busy gasping for breath to sound more than annoyed. "Please."

"You should be able to feel our hosts through the Force," he informed her, and she spared a glance his way, to see if he was serious. She was doing her best to just sense the safe ways to go through the trees in front of her, the path that wouldn't end up with her killed practically glowing to her senses, but to also reach forward to sense others was just asking too much!

She tried to split her focus, to look afar while also looking forward in time, and had to be caught and pulled upright as she hit a slippery root and almost fell, only her Master keeping her from certain death as the Force blared a warning to her.

"This isn't the best place to try new things!" she informed her Master, once again focusing on finding the correct path instead of looking for other presences in the Force. She was able to know where Lucian was because of the Padawan bond they shared in the Force, but to find others right now was ridiculous.

However, instead of seeing her perfectly reasonable point, the centuries old Jedi Master just laughed. "On the contrary Padawan, now is the perfect time! Try once more, but don't lose sight of the path, just take a glance!"

Anaïs bit back her reply of how that was easier said than done. Both techniques, Farsight and Force Sense, required focus of their own to handle, while she was still using the Force to strengthen her body, but she was nowhere near using three separate techniques at once!

Only, she thought, he doesn't think of them as two different techniques, does he? In one of their first conversations, he'd seen the nine Force powers that every Padawan tried to learn as merely six, 'Farsight' and 'Force Empathy' both under the umbrella of 'Force Sense'. So. . . so maybe they're not as different as I thought?

Both required one to open oneself to the Force, in a way, to watch the patterns in its currents, though in very different manners. However, while on one level, they were technically the same thing, on another they were reading the movements of the Force with completely contrary methods! It was like looking in two different directions at the same time!

"Having difficulty?" her Master asked, on her right, darting behind her to come up on her left. "Need a hint?"

"Yes I need a-" she started to say, almost stumbling again, before realization dawned. She'd just looked in two different directions! Trying her best, she looked at the path she needed to take, figuring out not just the next step, but the next three, before, following them automatically, she sent her senses forward.

It wasn't the gentle probing she'd been taught at the Temple to do, carefully reaching outward, more a frantic throwing herself into the Foce, feeling as she banged mental hands on something, barely having time to recognize what they were before she had to once again focus on her path, the jungle starting to thin, to know the branch she was about to reach for would break in her hand.

Throwing out a blast of Force to further her jump, she hurtled past it, grabbing another and swinging up, pushing off that one to land on a patch of wet plants that'd support her, sending her sliding forward just as she wanted. Once more presented with a clear trail she could run on for a few seconds, she threw her senses forward again, getting a clearer sense of what was before her.

The method was. . . noisy, in its own way, sending ripples through the Force that would have the Temple masters reprimanding her, but her Master only laughed merrily, darting past her as he called "Good job, Anaïs! I knew you could do it."

With a yank, he picked her up with his own Telekinesis, easily overcoming the innate resistance to Force powers that all Force users possessed, and carried her a few steps, before launching himself high, high into the air, breaking through the tops of the enormous trees in two hops, into the clearing of the village they'd stopped at, their ship parked nearby.

From above, the houses, huts, and other rough brick buildings looked so small, packed together tightly except for the single, open field they'd landed in, and the fenced area that was their destination. Instead of landing in the enclosure, however, her Master reached over and removed her pendant, squeezing it and shattering the nut it was made from, throwing it, along with his own, down to the ground below them. Then, with a ripple in the Force, they were shoved forward as if thrown, clearing the top edge of the corral's barrier by inches.

Landing on the far side of large, sturdy fencing, made of whole logs driven into the ground, Lucian put her down next to him. No longer held up by his telekinesis she collapsed, legs buckling now that the danger had passed, as she greedily sucked in air, having unconsciously held her breath as they flew.

Walking up to them was one of the squat-bodied, long armed aliens that lived on this planet in the middle of nowhere. An odd mix of mollusk and man, it was something that was closer to neither than both, but her Master had told her they were friendly. The creature greeted them in a watery trill, Anaïs unable to comprehend the language, but able to understand its meaning through her connection to her master.

"Greetings Dark-Sun," it had said, inclining its slug-like head in a gesture of respect. "How goes the Gathering?"

"It goes well," her master replied, making himself understood through the Force, just as he was understanding the alien. He gestured to the other side of the fence, where the pounding of enormous feet could be heard, "I believe that's all of them."

Turning to look through the thin gaps in the fence, she could see the large creatures charging out of the forest and into the mostly enclosed area, focusing in on the area Lucian had dropped the broken nuts, then milling about, confused. More and more, her entire herd, along with what looked like four more groups, those gathered by her master, entered.

As the last ones charged in, the herds beginning to realize they were trapped, the aliens started to move forward, the Force shifting and changing. If she hadn't been looking out for it, she never would've felt these aliens work through the Force, reaching out to the minds of the creatures and calming them, as more closed up the fence behind the herds. Finding a race of Force Sensitive aliens, in the Outer Rim, on what was supposed to be a wild world, untouched by civilization, was shocking. However, they were individually weak, far more than the lowest of Padawans, and only by pooling their talents could they act through the Force.

That was one of the reasons they were so easy to overlook, she assumed, the ripples in the Force that were their presences so small that, even if a Jedi were in orbit and searching for them, they likely wouldn't find the aliens that were now all around her. It was that lack of Force ability that was part of why they'd needed her Master's help, as the man could easily lift one of the creatures with the Force, a feat that, if the entire village were to work in concert, they likely could not replicate. Instead they had a delicate touch to their workings, the likes of which she couldn't ever remembering seeing, except possibly from Grandmaster Yoda.

The union of so many in common purpose held a beauty of its own, now that she'd regained enough of her equilibrium to notice. Anaïs had heard of Force techniques where Jedi worked together in harmony, the Temple having said it was one of the purest manifestations of the Light Side, though they'd only called it the Force, not the Light. Even here, she could feel it beckoning her to join in, to add her own power to theirs, to help accomplish their task.

Said task was curing a disease which had started to spread amongst the herds of those creatures, nipping it in the bud before it could bloom into something terrible. As far as tasks went, it was small, but it was the first thing they'd done since Noonar, and was a task they'd received through the Force itself. More than that, though, it was the first task her and her Master had received that was the sort of thing she'd expected a Jedi to actually do.

The last task from the Force had ended anticlimactically. They'd dropped off Mrs. Vondarr, the woman Anaïs had almost died to save, while Lucian kept an entire army busy, on Ithor. The old woman had promised to turn her network of spies, informants, and agents to another that would do good with it, and Anaïs hoped she did, but, in a year's time, they'd find out if she kept her word, or if Master Lucian would have to follow through on his threat. The woman hadn't taken it well when her Grandson, the slicer Crix, had decided not to leave with her, Lucian having finally Mind Tricked the old woman into going home, and then they'd been off.

The young data expert had stayed with them only another day longer, dropped off on Ord Mantell, to join a group Lucian knew, one that looked out for trouble, passing their findings along to those who could do something about it. Crix had said goodbye, hugged her again, which was just as awkward the second time, and left.

When she'd asked her master if she'd ever see the young man again, the centuries old Jedi had just shrugged, and said, "Hopefully we won't need to."

She pushed that thought, and what it implied, from her mind, and focused on the now, as the angry, sick, and hurting animals were calmed, several of the aliens entering the enclosure now that the risk of being trampled to death had decreased. She felt out the gestalt mind of the tribe within the Force, watching how it waxed and waned with power, flowing yet also resolute, and found herself reaching deeper in. They were here to heal, and she had as much ability in the Force as thirty of them, maybe more, so it was only natural that she started to offer her help.

A firm hand on her shoulder, and the bands of shadow around her own Presence that were her master's connection pulled back and broke her from her meditation. "Apprentice, no," he warned, not judgmental, but firm.

"But, I could help," she argued, the aliens were now beside the sick animals, reaching out in the Force to heal them with skill, brimming with the Light Side and their intent to nurture life.

"Watch," was all the Jedi said, serious and ancient eyes staring at her from his youthful face.

She nodded, not seeing why, but trusted in her master. Looking out with the Force again, she watched the aliens work from afar, struggling to handle the task with their meager abilities. It pulled at her emotionally, not through the Force, but just in her wanting to help.

Then, something rippled.

The combined presence of the Force changed, parts of it shifting away from something bright and peaceful to something angry, something malicious, something Dark.

Anaïs watched in horror as, easy as breathing, the aliens shifted from using the Light Side of the Force, to the Dark Side, the ones by the animals reaching out not with hope and empathy, but with a seething hatred that repulsed her, the emotions magnified by the dozens of users working in concert, even as the rest of the village still, somehow, stayed in the Light.

As one Dark-wreathed alien reached out, she bit back a call to do something, to warn the animal, maybe, to allow it to escape whatever was coming to it. However, as the alien laid a rubbery, four-fingered hand on the animal's side, brushing aside fur to touch the hidden pustule of plague underneath, the animal stilled, but was unhurt, the rage, and anger, and murderous intent not directed towards it but. . . into it.

Watching, confused, she turned to her master, but Lucian said nothing. In the Force, though, she could feel him direct her attention, helping her understand. "They're hurting the. . . disease?" she asked, skeptical. "They're burning it out. They're . . . healing with the Dark Side?"

"All medicines are poisons," the Jedi replied simply. "Isn't a large part of surgery just stabbing someone very carefully?" At her incredulous look, he chuckled. "They're not healing now, not really, they're merely, only killing the disease, cleansing it from the wounds, or attempting to. What do you think would've happened if you'd joined, Padawan?"

She grimaced, not knowing the answer, but knowing it wouldn't be good. Maybe she wouldn't be part of the group using the Dark Side, but, looking at the ones that were in the Light, they were also in the Dark, just a little, as well. Perhaps she would've pulled out before that, but. . . would she have been able to? Would her doing so without warning have done something else? "You told me you can't use both Dark and Light!" she argued instead.

"No, I said that it was not worth it. And it is not. Look at how it works though, each user of the Dark is being held up by three others, but even then they are not doing so without cost," the Jedi directed. "And it's about to get worse."

Anaïs frowned, turning to her master, who only pointed, his Presence prodding her to look deeper. She did, her training to resist the Dark allowing her to do so closely without being pulled in as it tried to brush up against her. She was watching the aliens use the Force in a way she never would, but there was something else, something deeper hiding. The use of the Dark Side in the animals intensified, before setting off a pulse of Malice, streaming up from the diseased creatures, who bellowed in pain and panic, lashing out at the Aliens trying to heal it. From the animals, the tainted energies ran back along the connection in the Force to the aliens, sinking into them like rats digging into flesh.

"Is. . . is that a Sith Plague?" she asked, horrified, as lesions started to open on the skin of the healers, the Dark Side rebounding on them. She'd heard of them from her ancient history lessons in the Temple, horrible creations which killed untold billions as they ravaged entire systems, spreading suffering, misery, and death for those monsters to channel into their own powers.

She wanted to do something, though she had no idea what, as Lucian shook his head. "Not a Sith plague, it's far too basic, but it is one born of the Dark side, and this is the reason why we're here."

From his tone. . . "You knew?" she demanded, thinking of how close she'd been to those creatures, and fear shot through her, as she wondered if she, too, was infected. However, she was a Jedi, and did not let that fear control her. She didn't suppress it, as the Temple had instructed her to do, but acknowledged it as Lucian had instructed, understood what she was afraid of, and moved to counter the source, rather than be paralyzed by the feeling, or letting it drive her to do something unwise.

Even as she meditated, feeling herself in the Force, searching for corruption, the older Jedi nodded. "Yes. Do you remember what I said to Vondarr, about what she could not do?"

Anaïs frowned, finding no trace of illness within her body, and had to tell herself that she could trust her master to keep her safe. "You said a lot, but. . . thinking large?"

"Indeed," he nodded, as the aliens in front of her suffered, but he did nothing. "Indeed. The galaxy is large, but travel down the hyperspace routes is fast. In just over a mere two weeks you can travel from Terminus, at the lowest end of the galactic south, to Bastion, at the highest end of the galactic north. In a single month, a virulent enough disease can spread across galaxy, but they rarely do. Do you know why?"

She did her best to pay attention to her teacher, but with the aliens dying from disease and weeping in pain in front of them, she just couldn't. "Master, we can talk later? They need our help! They're going to die!"

"A few of them will," he nodded, and she didn't understand, until she looked past the pain and at what was truly going on. All of the aliens that'd tried to heal the animals were infected now, and lethally so, having gone from completely healthy to barely able to stand, trying to hold fast in the face of the Dark Side enhanced disease, but failing. As she watched, though, the healers slowly crawled together, the aliens outside the fence barely able to keep the herds calm.

The aliens gathered, each one riddled with disease, pestilence thick around them, but as they did so, they pushed their disease out, not into the air, but into each other. Anaïs felt sick as the desperate struggle happened, those who started to clean themselves of their sickness gaining in strength, better able to shove it into those who had suffered the most, selfishly curing themselves by making the deaths of other a certainty, the entire process thick with the Dark.

She wanted to do something, anything to help them, even as she hated the fact that she needed to stay still, to trust her master, to know that he knew what he was doing, when it seemed like he was just watching without care as these poor aliens died.

Beside her, Lucian sighed. "Stay here," he ordered, before leaping up, grabbing onto the thirty-foot-tall fencing, and hurling himself over the side. Landing silently, he strode forward towards the pile of sickness and death, while the Padawan looked on in mute horror.

Reaching them, he bent down down, touching an alien seconds away from succumbing to illness, and the disease started to slowly, but surely, flow out of the tribesman and into himself. The others started to swarm him, but stopped, desperation clear in their movements, but they did not touch the Jedi until he stepped towards them, holding hands out.

In seconds they'd collected around him, touching them, trying to force their disease into him, but he did not resist, taking it all, as his skin split open, lesions and pustules forming on his face and hands, the rest of him hidden under dark robes.

Despite herself, Anaïs was frozen with fear and panic, on one level knowing her Master was about to die, but again having to trust that he knew what he was doing. In minutes, the aliens were cured, shakily retreating, even as the animals backed away nervously. In the center Lucian stood, looking nothing so much as a living corpse. His Presence in the Force was shot through with sickness and disease that was even now still spreading through him, trying to taint and corrupt as much as it could, to kill him, or worse.

Then the Master Jedi closed his eyes, let out a long, rasping, rattling breath, and, in the Force, exploded. Lucian's Presence, normally a dark storm with glints of hidden light, restrained and small, as if on the horizon, now carried a fell miasma as it expanded into an all-consuming tempest. Black winds spread out, consuming the traces of Dark within him and seemingly suffocating them. No, they were carried in deep where glimmers of gold could barely be seen, something far within was drawing the evil down, the malignance caught and ripped to pieces, never to leave.

Unlike on Noonar, this time his unrestrained Presence carried no danger to those around him, seeming to pull gently at those around her instead. One after another, the aliens added their presences to his, Zephyrs in a storm, only to rebuffed, forcefully shoved away as the slug-man next to her stumbled, making an odd warbling sound.

As the cyclone of Force raged, the man was swiftly healed, fresh flesh replacing diseased tissues, his Presence pulling ever tighter, until it was a thin twister of shadows, tall, but sucking in the Dark all around. Slowly, the alien healers moved back to the skittish beasts, once again trying to work. However, instead of channeling the Dark side, they siphoned thin streamers of Lucian's own presence, using that instead.

Again, the Force-enhanced disease pulsed outwards, almost as if it were alive, but instead of infecting the aliens the malignance was caught in that storm, carried inside and crushed, even as faint patterns of pustules flashed across the Jedi Master's face, gone in seconds.

Together, slowly, over the course of an hour, every single animal was cured, until not a trace of the Dark Side remained. The aliens all collectively slumped in exhaustion, not only the healers, but the one beside Anaïs, and every other slug-person in sight. The entire village seemed out of it as her Master let out one more long, sick sounding breath and swayed slightly, before a flash of Force centered him, and, casually, he walked back towards her.

Reaching the fence made of sunken tree trunks he barely paused, slamming a fist out, the entire log shattering in an instant, bits of timber falling down around him as he strode over to her. "Now, your answer?"

". . . What was that?" she asked instead, having seen her Master use the basic techniques of their order, but never anything like that.

"A very dangerous technique," he replied blandly, as if that answered anything. "And we were talking about disease. Why do you think galaxy-wide plagues are not an issue, given how quickly they can be transported?"

Anaïs blinked, still trying to understand, but gave the Temple answer, not having one of her own, yet. "Because of different species? What makes one sick might not infect another?"

"Indeed," he answered. "Mind you what counts as 'species' is an odd thing, as, by some understandings, there is no 'Human' species, merely several dozen that fall under the umbrella, with hundreds of others falling under the classification of 'Near-Human', like me," he smiled, flicking his own pointed ears. "But what would spread through Correllians like wildfire might only find the barest of holds on Alderaanians, and not affect those of Tionese descent at all. However, Padawan, with the Force, all things are possible."

The girl stared at him, before realization twisted like a snake through her stomach. "And what infects a Human, would also kill a Rodian."

"And a Twi'lek, and a Bith, and a Chiss, and Gand, and a Mon Calamari, and maybe even a Wookie, though that species is much hardier than they have any biological right to be," Lucian agreed, even as she wondered what that third one was, never having heard of that species before. "A created plague can cross species barriers to great effect, to a point, and Sith plagues are both created and driven by the Dark Side, but if we hadn't stopped this disease here, Anaïs, it would have spread."

"But, how?" the padawan asked. "It'd spread across this world, sure, but I'd never heard of this planet until we arrived, and we're off the Hyperspace routes. Who else would come here to spread it?"

In response, her master turned to look towards their ship. Yes, she thought, they could spread it, but the locals were still figuring out basic metallurgy. It was lucky that there'd been that open space for them to land in, as it was nothing but thick forests for fifty miles in every direction!

Every direction, the phrase seemed to prod her, something about it bugging her.

Every direction.

When clearing out the jungle with these alien's level of technology would've been monstrously difficult.

When the only possible reason they would've done so would be to build, which they did tightly, to hold animals, as they had in the fenced area, or to farm, and there were no plants where they'd landed. Which meant there had to be another reason for them to clear it out and not use it.

"You're not the only one that comes here, are you?" she asked, already knowing the answer.

"I am not. They may not look it, but the hides of those beasts make for wonderful clothing, both the leather and the fur, spun into fabric," the Jedi commented. "Not to mention the medicinal value of some of the herbs grown here. This planet has more of a presence in the Force than normal, not enough to draw the attention of more powerful users like us, but enough to enhance anything that grows here."

And from there, it would only be a matter of time before someone came, she realized. Even if the entire village died, a trader who landed wouldn't know that until they'd already touched down and looked around, no way for the locals to leave a beacon to warn them. And by the time they figured it out, they might already be infected. If they could make it back to a planet on the nearby hyperspace lane before they started showing severe enough symptoms. . . "It'd be another Enregaad Plague," she muttered.

"Without that sickness' unusual treatment," the Jedi nodded, turning to the alien that was slowly approaching them, holding itself up with a gnarled branch, Force underlying his words to make himself understood. "Where did this disease come from, honored elder?"

The slug-man, almost twice as powerful as the others, yet still weaker than the lowest Initiate, nodded its head. "From Bleeding-Mountain. Thank you Dark-Sun. Life-Balancers survive because of you."

Lucian smiled, "And I would have likely not survived, were it not for your elders. Should other clans be notified? I remember Prowling-Guthark. . ." The slug man shook his head. "How long ago?"

The old slug-thing warbled, which through Lucian Anaïs understood to be a heavy sigh. "Two hands of hands ago, maybe longer. Bleeding-Mountain's work, likely."

"About a month ago," her Master translated, "Thirty-two days. To pull off something like this plague, they'd need. . . an outside resource to power their workings."

She shivered, having only gotten the basest of instructions on Dark Side practices these last few months, something the Temple would never have allowed her to learn. One thing was of note was that Dark Side users could draw in power from death and suffering, in much the same way that Jedi could pull from nature and harmony.

Only you couldn't make nature and harmony exist on demand.

Looking back to the alien, Lucian nodded. "I understand. Rest, recover, and let me handle the Cleansing."

The slug-man looked back at her master. "Dark-Sun, you may stay. So may Shining-Mist," it said nodding her way.

However, her master deferred. "Your ways are not ours. I appreciate it, but must decline."

The alien warbled again, before nodding, and slowly walked away. The Jedi stared after him for a moment, shaking his head and walking towards their ship, the herds that Anaïs had worked to help gather already starting to leave the open corral and meander back into the forest.

Walking up the boarding ramp, he looked to a crate that had been empty when they arrived, now filled with fruits and furs, and snorted, shaking his head again as he moved to the bridge, Anaïs following. As he started the ship, and she took her normal seat, he spoke again.

"One can learn from other Force sects, Padawan, but you must never, never, use their techniques without learning everything about how they function. Far better to derive your own, based on the insights you gain from them," he warned, completely serious. "Few sects are as stringent as ours about refusing to use the Dark Side. It is the short path to power, and, worse, it can be used, for a little while, but never without cost. Most think they can handle it, that they know the price they pay, but few rarely do, and the effects might not truly manifest for decades. When someone think they might die in a few years, that does not matter, but when, using them, they live for a century, they destroy everything they've ever loved."

Looking up at her, his gaze was understanding, but hard and uncompromising. "You care Anaïs, if you hadn't I never would've take you as an apprentice, but strengths can be turned to weaknesses, if you're not careful. You would've walked away from that alive, but hurt, possibly scarred, and what you would've done, having followed them into the Dark without their tribes training to ride it, without others to tether you to the Light, you might've regretted for the rest of your life."

Anaïs shivered, trying not to think too deeply on it, but unable to. "Did that happen to you?" she finally asked, wondering if that was what he was referring to when he spoke to the tribal elder.

But the centuries old Jedi shook his head. "No, I learned of their people from a Fallen Jedi, who found this world, adopted their practices, but did not understand them. So I came to see if I was needed to destroy another Dark side cult, and found them."

"And realized you were wrong," she nodded, stopped as her Master shook his head.

"No, the clan that taught him, I killed to the last, as their technique was a not what you saw. But I found others, and, when I had need, I remembered," Lucian told her. Their ship lifted up into the atmosphere, and the Jedi flew it manually, but only a relatively short distance, stopping high over a mountain. "Tell me what you feel," he instructed, "but carefully. Your quick scan worked, but was loud, and they'll hear you."

Frowning, she did so, carefully reaching out in the Force, past the encircling shadows that hung around their nameless ship, out into the world. It was wild, and free, and full of life, but as she reached down towards the mountain, her stomach turned at the vileness below her.

Looking at the screen, the mountain seemed innocuous enough, the red stone almost beautiful, but in the Force it bled malevolence, and hatred, and suffering. "How did I miss this? How did anyone?" she demanded.

"The planet's presence masks it," Lucian answered easily, as if there was nothing noteworthy about it. "Now, as that clan did for the Gorinath herds, it's time for a cleansing of our own."

"From up here?" Anaïs asked, confused, wondering how they were going to extract the Dark Side from the location, wondering how it was even possible. "Is the Light Side version of what they did that powerful?"

The starship twisted in the air, facing straight down. "Oh, we're not using the Light Side," her master said simply, her momentary worry turning to confusion as he powered the weapons. "While the Little One and I disagree on many things, not every problem needs to be solved by calling upon the Force."

The ship's artificial gravity kept them in their seats as they looked straight down, the ship's lasers starting to fire in a staccato beat of pulses, over and over again, down into the mountain. Watching, shocked, she saw the blasts start to chip away at the stone. Shifting the ship slightly, Lucian shot at something she couldn't see. "Collapsing tunnels," he informed her, when she looked at him questioningly. "I'd use a proton torpedo, but I don't want to mess things up for the tribe."

More and more the ship fired, occasionally shifting slightly, seemingly in a random pattern, until, after ten minutes of a nearly continuous barrage, the mountain itself started to shift, before collapsing in on itself like a deflating balloon made out of boulders. "Tunnels," he offered, until finally the tall, bloody tooth was nothing more than a pile of red rubble, but the deaths of hundreds of Dark Side users rolled up like a plume of blackest hate, reaching towards them, screaming for Vengeance.

Anaïs unconsciously pushed back in her seat to try to escape them as it reached out to engulf the ship, to choke them with their deaths, only for the howling mass of Dark to splash against the shadows of her Master's Presence, sent outwards, before the shadows shifted and, almost lazily, consumed the Darkness, leaving behind only the echoes of their passing.

Lucian sighed, stretching, a single drop of blood coming from the corner of one eye, quickly wiped away on a dark sleeve. "That's never fun," he commented, taking the ship up and out of the atmosphere. "Now, I believe it's time to go." Taking a single sniff, he added, "Also, go hit the fresher and get a new set of clothes. You stink. I'll make dinner."

"Like you're any better," she shot back automatically, but stood on reflex, heading towards her room, wondering where they'd go next.

Last edited:
Arc 2, Chapter Two
Arc 2, Chapter Two

Jorel Drettz, Jedi Padawan, hurried to strap on his armor. It was an odd thing, wearing armor for one whom the Force should be defense enough, but after he'd been shot, and nearly died, his master had disagreed. The armor wasn't that bad, not that he had much experience wearing any. It was a little heavy, but he had trained to use the Force to assist his muscles, to the point he could keep it going at all times, and the suit was made so it wouldn't restrict his movement. That meant there were a few weak-points, but, with the Force as his guide, that wouldn't be an issue. As his master had directed him, 'If you must be hit, don't be hit there.'

On the surface, it was useless advice, how did you pick where you were shot when you could just dodge? But, with enough time with his attaché Sergeant Hisku'biatha'puzi shooting him with a low-powered blaster, and without his saber, he'd started to learn. He could block shots with his saber, but he wasn't as skilled with those forms as his friend, Anaïs, and he could dodge, but sometimes he couldn't. He's insisted he could get better at blocking with his saber, at which point his caring master had allowed him to have the blade back, and then brought a few more of the crewmen in for 'target practice'. When a dozen, or more, soldiers shot at you, it was hard to get through it unscathed even with a saber, something Er'izma had informed him had felled less trained, but higher ranking, Jedi than he.

Jorel, after many, many, sessions had started to get a sense of how to read the hail of stinging bolts, but anything more than a feeling escaped him. He could try to dodge, yes, and blocking helped, but half the time he ended up dodging into the attacks. With his armor, however, he didn't have to move his entire body, or dance between the proverbial raindrops, only turn the part that was about to hit just so to splash harmlessly against his armor.

After listening, at length, about the benefits of armor, Jorel had finally asked, "If it's so great, why aren't you wearing any?"

The large, dark skinned man had smiled. "Why do you think I am not?" he'd asked, opening his arms, clad only as he was in his dark purple uniform.

"Because you obviously aren't wearing. . ." Jorel had trailed off. "You, you aren't going to say something like 'the Force is my armor', are you?"

"The Force, while a powerful guardian and asset, is not a passive defense," his had Master agreed with him, saying no more.

Jorel had frowned, trying to think it over. "Is your uniform armored? Inset plates?"

Er'izma had shaken his head, but smiled as he replied, "Close, Padawan. It is the threads themselves. They provide passable defense against kinetic shock, but that is far less an immediate danger than energy attacks."

"And I can't?" The Padawan had asked, and wasn't surprised in the slightest when the Force had flexed, one of the training weights sent hurling for him. He'd tried to dodge, but it followed, and he was barely able to get his arms up in time.

The solid metal bar had slammed into his arms with bone-breaking force, even strengthening his body with the Force as he was. However, the light purple armored vambraces distributed the kinetic energy across his entire arms, and he'd only been thrown backwards, rolling and coming back to his feet in an instant.

In return, he'd tried to send the training weight back at his master, with nowhere near the speed or accuracy, but the Jedi Knight had stood still, not moving, the muted flash of something purple barely visible as the weight bounced off him as if he was made of durasteel.

It'd taken the apprentice a moment, before he'd finally guessed, "Force Barriers?"

The man had nodded, "Though it will be many a year before you have that level of skill. Until then, you may consider them multipurpose training weights."

And so, armor, which Jorrel was quickly strapping on, the door to his cabin opening and Sergeant Hisku, in her own much heavier armor, hurried into his room. "You're not ready yet?" she demanded.

"Not as used to this as you are," he replied conversationally, pulling on his gloves and connecting them to his sleeves, so they'd seal against vacuum if need be.

His assistant wasn't having it. "And my armor has half again more pieces than yours."

Glancing up, he looked her over, the white armor with purple trim indeed more complete and harder to put on than his own. "And your sword?" he asked, pulling his helmet to himself with the Force, and taking a moment to decide if he wanted to put it on.

It was part of the set, and it did have a glassteel faceplate so his expression wasn't obscured, but it felt. . . limiting. Breathing through the armor's systems added not only level of detachment, but made any of the small things, like scent and sound, off just enough to dull one's sense in the Force, which was probably why so few Jedi used them unless, like Master Plo Koon, it was needed just to breath, and even Master Kun wore a minimal mask instead of a full helmet, to still feel the breeze against his skin.

Deciding to carry it, and only put it on if something really happened, Jorel strode past Hisku and into the hallway, breaking out into a light jog to double time it to the Bridge, the warning that they were dropping out of hyperspace early, doing so in a mere four minutes, coming two and a half prior.

"That is not officially required," the blue-skinned Chiss woman finally replied, pure red eyes narrowing as he shot a skeptical look over his shoulder at her. Even now, a few months after the Sergeant gotten the sword, she still wasn't comfortable with the weapon that only those of Captain's rank, or higher, normally received, because of her position as the attaché to General Er'izma's Padawan.

"And if I asked Er'izma-" he started to say.

"General Er'izma," she corrected, as she always did.

"-what constitutes 'official armor'?" Jorel asked, as they neared the elevator, hitting the call button with a bit of telekinesis. It was a small use of the Force, one that'd get him rebuked at the Temple, but here, in the Flock, his Master had impressed upon him that using the Force in small ways to do your job was what one was supposed to do.

It opened and they got in, along with a few others, both of them holding their helmets. "I'm sure the General has better things to do than perform equipment inspections," she sniffed, and put on her helmet as he smiled at her, point scored.

The other soldiers got off on their next stop, the turbolift quickly moving upwards again, both of them jogging down the hallways as soon as the doors opened again, making it onto the bridge with seconds to spare. Everyone was at their stations, in armor, the only one out of it Er'izma himself who stood, waiting, at the front of the almost cavernous room. He looked back as the pair ran up, smiling, "Very good, Padawan. And good to see you remembered your helmet this time." The man's eyes darted over to Jorel's partner. "Though you seem to be lacking a piece of your gear, Sergeant."

Jorel couldn't help but laugh, and Hisku glared at him, something she still managed to do even through her helmet. "Why are we in armor, Master?" he asked, as heard someone call, "Emergence in 5!"

"Because we are now in the Inner Rim, Padawan, and the likelihood of attack rises the further from the Core we travel," the Jedi commander remarked, turning and calling, "Hold the Cranes!"

The swirling blue tunnel of hyperspace separated out into a thousand streaks, which rapidly shrunk to the blackness of space, a single damaged cargo-hauler seeming to appear in the distance, fresh laser-scarring visible on the surface.

"Scans are coming in, Sir!" another of the crew, Lieutenant Karisnova, Jorel believed, called out. "Damage looks real, and backups look shot too," the Twi'lek reported. "Need a deeper scan for more."

"Being hailed, Sir." another crewman announced, looking to Er'izma, who nodded.

In the display, a woman's face appeared. "Did you get our distress signal?" she asked, sounding hopeful, but below that there was a level of. . . worry. It was hard to get a read on her, as far away as she was, but something pulled at his developing Force Empathy, clumsy as it was. Seeing a capitol ship come out of nowhere was likely unsettling, but there seemed to be. . . more to the woman's emotions.

"We did," his master smiled, giving no indication that anything was wrong, even though if Jorel was picking something up, the other man certainly was. "I'm Knight Er'izma, Commander of the seventh Judiciary Legion. You're very lucky we're the ones that received your call, and not someone else. The very pirates that damaged your ship could've tracked you down once more."

There was a pause, and the woman hesitated, looking to the side, before giving them a nervous smile. "That. . . thank you. If you could stay for a few hours, our repairs are almost complete."

If anything, Er'izma smiled wider. "Don't worry, I'll send over a few of our Engineering Corps, they'll have you ready to go to the nearest port in no time, and not at backup hyperdrive speeds either!"

"There's no need for that," the woman quickly replied, collecting herself. "I'm sure you're busy. You can probably leave now, and we'll be fine."

The Jedi laughed, "It's no bother. They'll be there in a few minutes." With a flick of the Force, he closed the call, and turned to Jorel. "Well, she's certainly lying. First Officer Zara?"

"Deploying Cranes, then the 'Engineer' Shuttle. Eta three minutes," the armored Togrutan woman replied, without her standard datapad, but moving as if she still had it, tapping empty air, her armor's systems taking care of the orders.

From before them, the heavily armed and armored fighters known as 'Cranes' launched, flying down the notch inset into the capitol ship's hull, and spinning about to defend from all angles, guarding the unarmed shuttle as it came next. The entire group flew for the freighter the capitol ship slowly neared, in tight formation but ready to break off at a moment's notice. A second and third Flight were launched from the sides, forming a fighter screen around the ship proper.

"Then, is she a pirate?" Jorel asked, waving in the freighter's direction. "Trying to lure in people that want to help? Wouldn't it be better just to blast her to dust and be done with it?"

The other Jedi sighed, "Young Padawan, I know your distaste for that flavor of criminal, but we cannot for three reasons. The first, is that we are a Judiciary Legion. We do not know if the woman is truly a criminal, or just surprised by the appearance of a ship as magnificent as ours."

"Isn't pride 'unbefitting of a Jedi'? Jorel had to point out.

"When it is not deserved, yes," Er'izma nodded, smiling as he moved on, "Second, if she is a pirate, she'll be calling the others. Captain Torrel?"

"Distress call has stopped," the comms officer announced, and the Knight turned an expectant look his Padawan's way.

Taking a second to consider it, Jorel thought out loud, "Which could be because we're here so she doesn't need more help, or that could be the signal for others to arrive."

"Very good," his master nodded, turning to face front, watching the freighter in the distance.

"And third?" Jorel asked, the Knight looking back expectantly. "What's the third thing?"

Nodding, the older man noted, "It takes a lot of resources to make this operation work-"

"I know," the Padawan interrupted. "You had me handle the finances for two months."

"I had you review the finances for two months," Er'izma corrected. "But if they are pirates, it's better to take as much of their equipment as possible intact, the better to liquidate their assets for more. . . noble ends. And I highly doubt they have anything that will endanger our men."

Before Jorel could respond, the call of, "Freighter is active. They have concealed weapons, powering," came, the comms officer announcing, "We're being hailed again, sir!"

"Put them through," Er'izma smiled, but not nicely. Instead of the woman, an older man appeared, expression hard. "Why hello Captain, good of you to speak to us."

"Pull your fighters back," what was certainly the freighter's actual Captain, and not the woman, snapped. "If you don't want them destroyed."

A trickle of Force came from the Knight, passing to the others on the bridge, who quietly started giving orders without being verbally directed. "I'm afraid I can't do that, Mister. . ." Er'izma trailed off waiting for the other man to supply his name, only to receive a glare in return. "Mister unnamed. From our sensor readings, your ship is damaged, and we need to make sure it does not come apart in hyperspace. We might not be on a major trade route, but having to close it while we check for your debris would take far longer than checking your. . . repairs. It's the least we can do as a Judiciary Legion."

"Judiciary Legion," the other man spat. "I've never heard of any 'Judiciary Legion'. Just leave us alone."

"Hmmm," Er'izma said, making a show of it, the starfighters in the distance opening up with their ion cannons, to disable the ship without further damaging it. "No."

The connection was cut, and the freighter tried to fire, but the Cranes used their overpowered engines to turn and accelerate out of the way of the slow turbolaser shots, something in the Force stirring as they moved as one, raining bright blue-white bolts of ionized energy that tore though the freighter's surprisingly robust shields, before they started to hit the hull. Arcs of electricity danced over the surface of the freighter, the ship's engine cutting out as it went dark, drifting in the void as the shuttle full of combat engineers closed on the airlock.

It docked, and Er'izma motioned for his apprentice to put on his helmet. Jorel did so, sealing the armor and activating the internal systems. In his display, at the top, the inset screen displayed the view of the lead engineer, the display showing it to be Captain Zerd'rasi'bino. The special shuttle was modified with internal defenses, an energy shield shimmering in place between the armored soldiers and the airlock.

"Breaching," a voice came over communications, as the shuttle's airlock opened, to show the freighter's, still shut tight. The energy shield dropped just long enough for a breaching charge to be tossed through, then it raised again as the explosive went off with a muted explosion. A barrage of blaster bolts came through the smoke-filled hole not even a second later, splashing harmlessly against the shield.

"Deploying suppression," a different voice called, and the ceiling on the unshielded portion of the shuttle slid apart, a slim turret peaked out, which started to fire back through the smoke with blue, ring-shaped stun blasts.

After several seconds of firing, the smoke starting to drop, Jorel heard a clearer voice, probably the captain, yell, "Drop and charge. Capture priority, but not top!"

The energy barrier dropped and the Captain ran forward through the smoke, weapon up, dodging to the side as a blaster bolt came for his head, firing stunners of his own in kind. A second later he emerged into a hallway littered with paralyzed crewman, one that'd been hiding in a doorway falling to the ground as he did so.

Lucky dodge, Jorel couldn't but help to think. With his connection to the Force, he'd've been able to feel it coming, but for a non-sensitive that had to have been a combination of a little luck and a great deal of experience.

Looking down from the screen, through his visor, the Padawan saw they had gotten within range of the downed freighter, their scans identifying it as the Sochi Scooter, likely after the nearby planet. The fact that a freighter was named after the closest planet was a bit odd, but sometimes coincidences were just coincidences.

"Scans complete," a Bridge officer announced. "Ship is disabled, fifty crew, twelve stunned in the corridor, others spread out through the ship, no cargo found. Scans forwarded to the breach teams."

"So it is Pirates," Jorel scowled, looking back up to watch the Captain lead his men, half breaking off to go after the ship's power core, the other half going for the bridge. If a freighter left port without cargo, is definitely planned to get cargo before it made landfall again.

However, Er'izma just glanced his way, responding with a single word: "Perhaps."

The freighter without any freight, but more than enough people to board and take any ship that tried to help, was taken, room by room. The attack team were all equipped with weak personal shields that could take a few shots, the radiation buildup such devices created negated by the armor they wore, which was rated for space operations. They barely needed it, though, the experienced soldiers scything through the pirates with ease, softening up hastily constructed barricades and sending the scum sprawling long enough for the combat engineers to overrun and stun them all.

Soon enough, the Captain's team breached the Bridge, a pair of flash-grenades causing the fire the bridge-crew was pouring though the entrance to go awry as the defenders were temporary blinded, letting the Captain, with a blaster in one hand and a collapsible metal shield in the other, lead the charge inside, easily moving the durasteel defense back and forth to catch the shots that still came their way.

"Bridge taken," Captain Zerd'rasi'bino announced, another engineer pulling open a panel in his armor's vambrace and pulling out a plug, wire spooling out as he inserted it into the ship's computer. "Sir, something's wrong here. These don't seem like pirates. Too clean."

"I am aware," Er'izma replied. "Hold the Bridge, but be prepared to depart."

"Connection established," one of the crew on their bridge reported. "Slicing now."

As their crew wormed their way into the freighter's computer systems, Jorel, bringing up the armor's systems, toggled his view from the captains to the other officers as they took room after room with cold efficiency, barely a word said, but moving together in near synchronicity.

A sense of Danger brushed against Jorel's mind, not the sharp feeling he was used to, but dulled, quiet, almost second hand, and his eyes widened as he realized he wasn't feeling a threat to himself, but to the person he was watching. Opening his mouth, and moving to toggle his comms, Lieutenant Dez'kofi stopped, the man commanding, "Fall back."

Grabbing a stun grenade, the engineer toggled it, tossing it down the corridor, and when the near-invisible burst of force went off, the entire corridor exploded into a forceful conflagration, hidden explosives detonating prematurely as the squad hunkered down, lifting their weapons and opening fire as a group of pirates rushed around the corner to take advantage of their trap, only to be met with a barrage of stun blasts, dropping to ground, the one in front landing facedown on the deck that still shimmered with heat.

"Forward," the lieutenant commanded, kicking over the first pirate over, the man's skin already burned, but stopping further damage. "Captain, we're getting traps. Permission to go lethal back?"

"Permission denied,"
the Captain replied. "You have your Rules of Engagement. Follow them, Lieutenant."

"Understood,"
Dez'kofi sighed, motioning forward as the continued to take the ship.

In the space of five more minutes, a total of ten since they first arrived, the ship was captured. Jorel smiled, turning to his master, who frowned. "Captain Votta'ogash'uzu, you should've gotten in. Who are these people?"

"Sorry sir," the Chiss slicer replied. "They had Milspec protections, and custom ones at that. I just got in. They're either not pirates, or they're really, really good at counter-intelligence."

The Jedi raised an eyebrow. "Assume they are not."

"Well, sir, they're-" she started to reply.

There was a stirring in the Force, and Er'izma's expression darkened, the Knight's presence flaring into prominence as he pushed down on everything, stilling the ripples that were ever present, before sending a single, overwhelming PULSE of Force out, bouncing off everything and everyone nearby, before his head snapped up, looking at nothing. "Deploy Flights," he started to order, before pausing, even as someone else announced, "Incoming Hyperspace signatures. Three ships, two Corvettes and a Frigate."

"Belay my order, do not deploy additional Flights. Order Flight three to defend the Dove, Flights one and two to defend the freighter, Flight four prepare for launch but standby, and Flight Five stand down," Er'izma ordered, smiling, as if he'd solved a puzzle. "What was that about these Pirates, Captain?"

"They aren't, sir," the slicer sighed. "But you already know that, don't you."

The smaller capital ships appeared, two modified CR90's, and a CC-6200, the last of which Jorel recalled was an interdictor, able to make an artificial gravity well that'd prevent ships from entering hyperspace, the call of "Interdiction field active, General" completely expected.

"Always good to have confirmation, Captain. Answer their hail," Er'izma directed, before the comms officer could say a word, and an older man in a military uniform appeared, scowling. "Good evening. How can I help you?"

The man glared, "Politeness won't save your hide, pirate. You're under arrest by the-" He broke off, looking off screen, but still audible as he replied to someone out of the communicator's pickup range. "I'm talking with them now. Yes, we received he signal. What do you mean 'it's big?'" he questioned disdainfully. "Where would a pirate get a battle cruiser? Just show me. . . oh. Oh that is big."

The enemy captain let out a long breath, closing his eyes, centering himself, before turning back to the still open display, glancing to the side again as he grit his teeth and said, "You didn't mute the. . . fine." Turning to face the Jedi, the other man said, "I don't care how you got your hands on a battle cruiser, Pirate, but on behalf of the Sochian government, you are under arrest for the crimes of piracy, murder, extortion, and many, many more. Submit, or we will be forced to use lethal force."

"Wait," Jorel sputtered in disbelief, knowing he was out of the comm unit's pickup range. "They think we're the pirates!?"

The knight, however, just smiled. "I believe there is a misunderstanding. How-

"Do you submit, yes or no!" the enemy commander yelled.

Er'izma just smiled wider. "On behalf of the government of the Republic, pursuant to article five-zero-four of the Republic penal code, and as commander of the Republic's seventh Judicial Legion, I, Jedi Knight Er'izma, declare that you and all your forces are under arrest, Admiral Smycrow, for attacking an officer of the Republic, threatening an officer of the Republic, and preventing an officer of the Republic for carrying out his sworn duties."

The admiral stared, looked off screen, and then went back to staring at the grinning man, anger swiftly turning to shocked disbelief. His eyes darted down, spotting the sheathed lightsaber, and he gulped loudly enough to be picked up over the communication line.

"Well Kriff me running."

I actually wonder what the reaction to this little whoops! will be. Ballsy of the Admiral to try and do what he did without even seeing the details of the ships.

Arc 2, Chapter Three
Arc 2 Chapter Three

"Master Lucian, are we going to at least land on this planet?" Anaïs asked, as their ship dropped out of hyperspace in yet another system, seemingly without rhyme or reason. After leaving the planet of the slug-like-sensitives, they'd just kind of. . . wandered, from sector to sector, in a way that defied any known hyperspace routes.

Or common sense.

Bouncing from planet to planet, the last few weeks had started to blend together. She'd kept up with her training, but they'd come out in a system, move over to whichever planet was the most populated, Master Lucian would meditate, do something, and then they'd jump right back into hyperspace.

Sometimes all the centuries old Jedi would do was nod to himself, or he'd send a message off, or, a couple of times, they'd buzzed close to a planet, fired a torpedo, blown something up, and then ran off as authorities scrambled at the surprise attack.

What they hadn't done was land.

They hadn't needed to, they had the supplies, but, big as their unnamed corvette was, Anaïs was looking forward to being somewhere else, if only for a few hours.

The Temple on Coruscant was huge, and even her Master's hidden training complex/hideout in the Uphrades system had been sizeable, but she was going a bit stir crazy here on the ship, which wasn't befitting a Jedi, she knew. Worst part was, he didn't even need to say it.

"Most likely not. Lavisar's normally good at policing their own," Lucian shrugged. "Martial cultures mean there's a certain amount of discipline. That also means that when they go wrong, they go really wrong, in which case it's not something that I am going to fix."

That caused her to blink, her Master's capabilities seemingly limitless. The man had led an army around by the nose, for Force's sake! "You wouldn't be able to?" she asked incredulously.

That got a chuckle out of the man, who looked to be in his twenties, but was far, far older, even if it was often hard to remember at times, his demeanor so often lacking the normal markings of age. "No, Padawan, I could, but not without a great deal of bloodshed. A culture like this, with their leaders gone, would turn to the next in line with barely an issue, and even the ones who might be free of corruption would still feel the need to continue their predecessor's work, even if they didn't know why. No, a blade in the dark wouldn't be what's required, but a much less subtle approach. A boot to the face, if you will."

"So, you'd contact the Temple?" she questioned. "But Master Halrol thought you were. . . one with the Force. Do you just not ask for help that often?"

Again, a chuckle, "Oh, I wouldn't ask them. The various 'councils' wouldn't have the knowledge I do, and would be inclined to make decisions based on what they wanted things to be instead of what I said they were, ignoring my suggestions. They've done so enough times already. No, I've found it far more useful to contact other Jedi directly, and let them handle it. Now, let's see how things are on the ground."

Lucian brought the ship into orbit over the large world, which slowly spun in tandem orbit with another, less populated planet. Settling in his chair, he closed his eyes, falling into meditation, and, since she'd already started asking questions, she asked another: "What are you doing?"

The pointy-eared man opened one eye. "Checking."

"Yeah, checking 'how they are', but, what are you doing?" she clarified, trying not to roll her eyes, and mostly succeeding. "You just kind of sit there, I can't feel anything in the Force!" And she'd tried. Every time.

"Ah, that is because I am not actually doing anything. Come with me," he announced, standing and walking off the bridge. "We don't need to see the planet to do this."

Intrigued, she followed her Master through the corridors back to their meditation room, the dark-aligned lightsaber that she'd been using to practice resisting the Dark in its neutralizing box, the space currently peaceful in the Force. With a slight tug, two cushions pulled themselves from their position against the wall, Master Lucian sitting on one, facing the other, which he gestured for the padawan to take.

She did.

"Alright, to start with, how is your Force Sense coming along?" he asked, and she knew he meant Force Sense in his sense, back when there were six powers Padawans had to learn four of, instead of nine, and Padawans had to be proficient in one and competent in two others, the 'new' ones made by splitting up different aspects of the original set.

"My combat precognition has gotten better," she told him. "I can dodge the fire of three training drones without my saber, five with it. My ability to sense things from afar is a little better, but I haven't had space to train," she resisted the urge to look around their ship meaningfully. "And my ability to sense emotions has. . . atrophied. I'm sorry," she apologized, flushing in shame despite herself, only to have a bit of Telekinesis flick her on the nose just hard enough to smart.

"Only apologize when you've done something wrong, I warned you that might happen," Lucian reminded her. "When you first came with me you had no mental shields, which is what made others think you better in that subskill than you were. Now, with your mental shielding, you're probably in the top ten percent of Padawans."

She felt her hopes rise, "So, you would say I'm Padawan-Grade?" she asked, knowing that, by her Master's estimations, a majority of Knights were 'Padawan-Grade' in most things, her shields originally 'not even Initiate-Grade' when they'd started training.

"Yes," he nodded, and she felt herself smile, which caused him to frown, "Which means you'd last about fifteen minutes on Oricon before you went mad, maybe an hour on Moraband if you were careful. It means an actual Dark Adept couldn't render you defenseless just by flexing her, or his, power, and it means the number of places I can take you have almost doubled, but if something truly pressing arises I'm still going to need to leave you behind."

Way to rain on my parade, Master, she thought, instead asking, "And Jorel? How would he place?"

That got her a raised eyebrow. "What did I tell you about measuring yourself based on others?"

This time she did roll her eyes, "That the galaxy is large, and there will always be a large number of people that are better than me in everything I do, but it's by using my many skills together, along with my intelligence and determination, that I succeed." Despite the man's dislike of Temple Doctrine, that would've fit right in, though, in retrospect, it was something that she couldn't remember actually hearing from them.

"Good. And he was better than you are now when we left, months ago," he told her. "I'm not sure his ability with all of the Central Six, but you are likely at, or above, Padawan Jorel's ability with Force Control, at least the level of ability he displayed shortly before you went your separate ways. My style of training focuses greatly on using that power to enhance one's physique, while the Little One is more about complex, external use. Your boyfriend's Telekinesis likely far outstrips your own," he remarked, smirking.

"He's not-we're not allowed-he's just a friend!" the teenage girl sputtered, blushing for reasons she didn't understand. She'd never thought of him that way, or, if she had, she'd known nothing could happen because, as a Jedi, attachments were detrimental and that was about as attached as people could get!

"Whatever you say, Padawan Anaïs," the Jedi Master replied indulgently, which just caused her to glare at him in annoyance. "However, for what we are doing now, it is your Force Sense that is of greatest importance. You have gained in skill, able to switch between uses on the fly when. . . properly motivated-"

Anaïs glared again, harder. "Trying not to get trampled or gored isn't 'properly motivated', Master."

Lucian just laughed, "I'd say if that didn't motivate you, we'd need to have some very different discussions, and you made a breakthrough, so I'd say it worked 'properly'. Regardless, this is the inverse. You're not blindly throwing your senses forward, you aren't even pushing yourself out at all, at least at first, you are instead listening very, very closely. Close your eyes, but do not reach out. Instead, still yourself, and let the Force make itself known."

Nodding, she did so, reflexively starting to reach out through the Force, but pulling herself back before her teacher can do more than inhale. Okay. Galaxy. It exists. That's fine, she thought falling back on her Temple training, clearing her mind, before. . . blunting her approach, not forcing herself to be calm, but just. . . being.

It was harder than it sounded.

"Alright, not bad," Master Lucian remarked, and she could feel him, as he always was, a typhoon of black clouds on the horizon, but calm, static, restrained, and non-threatening, even as the barest glimpses of gold can be barely seen where the whisps of obsidian cloud thin for a fleeting moment. "Now, without reaching, look down."

She did so, physically, which was dumb because she's not looking with her eyes, but it's something she'll work on later. Doing so, she could get a vague sense of the planet below. Of life, and, as she did her hardest to not focus, slight patterns in the Force. In a way, it reminded her of the club on Fabrin that she'd almost been swamped in, carried away by the intense mix of the dancer's emotions, but at a distance. There was some good, some bad, but there was nothing that really stood out to her. Nothing that truly resonated with the Light, but nothing that reeked of the Dark either.

"Okay. I see it. I think. But. . . what am I looking for?" she asked.

From her Master came a thing tendril of gold-tinged shadow, that wrapped around her, not tightly, but enough to draw her attention as the entire thing, very slowly, seemed to come into focus. The swirls of vague patterns become clearer, hints of larger networks forming into fractal patterns of emotion, and life, and death, and everything that sent ripples through the Force. "This. And now comes the more difficult part. Take this, and try to apply our ability to see possibility to it."

She did, and the pattern gained a little. . . depth was the word, but it wasn't enough. The slow flow of emotions, the tiny shifts in the network, broadened out, narrowing down to the point of now in a constant stream, and Anaïs felt her focus start to break, but leaned on her Master's presence to give her a bit of form to the seeming chaos before her. "I. . . I don't see it," she finally admitted, not understanding what she was supposed to be able to glean from this.

"That's because you're not looking far enough," the ancient Jedi noted, but there was no recrimination in his Presence or tone. "Watch."

Her vision rippled, as the comforting bands of darkness around her became almost restraining, and the shifting chaos of a billion lives exploded, possibilities stretching outwards in every direction, overlapping each other into an incomprehensible prismatic kaleidoscope of possibility that looped in on itself, and stretched in and out, flowing on and off planet, those sections becoming storms of possibility that defied explanation, while the world itself built out, and around, and up and down, until, with no warning it stopped.

And then it made sense.

The possibilities, the 'what ifs' of the 'what ifs' of the 'what ifs' arranged themselves into hundreds upon hundreds of possibilities, too many to count, or understand, but each of those possibilities had a. . . flavor. A tint. Some were better, some were worse, but only in a general sense. She couldn't see what happened, only that, for each, it would create patterns in the force, but every possibility had an anchor point, a moment that would render it possible, or deny it from ever coming to pass.

Reaching out, despite herself, she found the best one, and tried to trace it, tried to find what would destroy it, so as to avoid it. There was something on one continent, something that led to dozens of other possibilities, none quite so good, but if she tried to trace those to eliminate them until only the good was left then it'd work, but it got harder and harder to see, but if she just pushed harder-

No.

Her Master guided her away from looking at the best outcome, instead looking to the worst, one that festered, and rotted, and oozed Dark across the world. That one had a different anchor point, one she could trace to a different continent, to a handful of towns, but one more than others, and one house in particular. The location seemed to fix itself in her mind as her Master's presence retreated, and the vision instantly started to come apart before her.

No! she thought, trying to reach out, to hold it in place, but that just made it shatter all the more quickly, until she was once again looking down at the world as it was not as it could be, until even that faded.

Opening her eyes, she found herself looking at the ceiling, the taste of metal in her mouth. Trying to sit up, a spike of pain and tiredness ran through her, as she called upon Force Control to bolster herself.

"What?" she asked the room at large, which was now empty. She felt weak, not injured, but like she'd run herself ragged in training, as she had a few times before Master Lucian gave her a very detailed lecture on rates of learning, recovery time, and efficiency.

The door opened, and Lucian walked in, offering her a glass of water, which she tried to drink too fast, coughed, and, under the reproachful eye of her teacher, gently sipped.

"You are aware that your body has natural limiters on what you can do, yes?" he asked, taking a seat opposite her, and she blinked as she noticed the sandwiches off to the side. Had she passed out?

"You said the Dark version of Force Control turns those off," she said. "But, I was using the Light-"

"Which means it's harder to hurt yourself, not impossible, but with me here you were in no danger," he replied, he smiled comfortingly, before tilting his head to the side in a gesture of 'counterpoint'. "Though me being here is also why you were able to hurt yourself in the first place."

That made no sense whatsoever, and from her Master's sigh, it was obvious she was missing something.

"If I lift a weight you cannot lift, and hand it to you, but you try to lift it, you very well might injure something," he explained. "Only it wasn't muscles you strained, it was, well, your soul. Also, you might want this." Reaching over, he picked up a damp cloth and handed it to her. motioning towards her face.

Pressing it to her face, it came away red.

She looked up at him, worried, but able to tell her concerns he shook his head. "You're fine. You're not the first one I've helped reach beyond their grasp, and we didn't go that far. However, knowing that a thing is possible, having done it yourself, can help you get there much easier than flying blind. Now," he said, handing her a sandwich, "take your time recovering. The future isn't going anywhere."

<SWPP>

Eating helped, as did using the Force to heal herself. She was worried that using the Force to heal damage to herself by using the Force would just make things worse, but Master Lucian had shaken his head. "Healing is just that, healing. Healing others I wouldn't advise, but the strain you'd feel in healing is more than outweighed by the fact that it and the damage you've suffered is already being undone by the healing. Just. . . don't use the Force for anything else today."

So now, an hour later, they were back in the bridge of their unnamed corvette as the Jedi Master took it down into atmosphere, over the continent she'd seen, over the town she'd seen.

"The future I saw, the good one. Why did you push me away from it?" she asked. "Shouldn't we make sure that one happens?"

Her Master smiled ruefully. "No, for a number of reasons. You weren't able to see how it happened, did you?"

She frowned, shaking her head.

"That's because it's far easier to see how to break something, than to create it," he told her.

"But, isn't breaking things Dark?" she asked, confused, but, now knowing what to look for, felt no trace of that energy's insidious corruption.

"It's neither, it just is, in the same way that Telekinesis is neither Light nor Dark. If I was more skilled, I might be able to do just that but. . . trying what your suggesting? It rarely ends well," he sighed, seemingly from experience. "Too many factors, and the more you try to control it, the more the best results slip through your fingers. Which, given the nature of the Light Side, makes a certain amount of sense. Cooperation, unity, and freedom don't lend themselves to direct authoritarian rule, after all," he pointed out dryly.

Anaïs looked down at the familiar looking home they descended towards. "But eliminating bad options. . ."

"Much easier," he smiled. "Like a gardener, pruning a malformed bud."

"But," she said, as the other Jedi primed the ship's weapons. "But whoever we're going to kill, they haven't done anything yet."

Lucian paused, "Twenty-four times out of twenty-five, they have. They only haven't done whatever will lead to that future yet. People rarely start genocidal regimes out of nowhere, Padawan Anaïs. More than that, looking forward like we did, it isn't perfect. If a group was completely predictable, and isolated, and had no particularly strong Force users, you could determine them with complete accuracy, but," he tapped the console in front of him, "Predicting the galaxy and everything in it, and a good portion that's also trying to predict you? Good luck. There's a reason that Force-Visions are vague, and not just because they're hard to understand. There are aspects to it that just cannot be determined yet."

"So. . . sometimes we kill the wrong people?" she asked, full of trepidation. The other Jedi nodded. "And that's okay?" There were sometimes casualties, and collateral damage, but this wasn't accidental. If she didn't know better, she'd say it was murder.

"The galaxy is large, and there are only so many Jedi," he shook his head, gesturing out the front window. "We could stay on this world, try to guide it, but even then we might make mistakes, might, in our haste, kill the wrong person. So, instead, we do our best, and move on. However, in these kinds of preventative actions, one must keep the damage one does in mind, lest there one commit another Padawan Massacre."

"Padawan Massacre?" she echoed. It was obviously a named event, but she'd never heard of it.

Lucian shook his head, shifting the ship so the main guns were trained on the home. "Not the point. Prophecies are poisoned things, and you should never take actions that, were it not for them, you would regret. Wait a moment."

The guns fired, the house collapsing, and several someones died, their sudden, violent deaths sending Dark ripples in the Force.

"Lifting up and. . ." the Jedi Master's eyes closed for a moment. "Yes, that's closed that possibility. Time to leave."

Anaïs wanted to say 'that's it?', but, having seen this over and over, she knew it was. Instead, she asked, "Can we go somewhere that we can land?"

Her Master glanced over to her, staring at her for a long moment, and then nodded. "Okay."

. . . What.

"Just, 'okay'?" the Padawan asked, unsure. "Aren't we busy doing. . . this?"

"Not particularly. We've gotten through a good bit of my backlog from the time spent during your training and neither of us have gotten any direction through the Force. . ." he shrugged. "We've doing what we can, but nothing is urgent." Reading her expression, Lucian smiled. "Did you think we were going to jump from adventure to adventure, the Force leading us by the nose into one situation after another, with nary a moment to rest?"

She knew the answer was wrong, but Lucian had talked, at length, about the need for honesty in training. "Yes," Anaïs admitted. "That's the impression I got from the Jedi Knights I talked to. And the Masters. And the archives. And really everyone I talked to."

Not judging, the Jedi Master sitting next to her nodded. "And what's a reason as to why they would believe that?"

"I don't know!" the Padawan snapped, because how could she, but that did get her a bit of a reproachful look. He wasn't asking for the answer, but a answer. Not for the Truth, but for her to consider a problem. Thinking about it, she cast her mind to when the Force had directed her, with a passing thought, that, while it seemed like it was her own, absolutely wasn't. But that hadn't been the Force directing her ex nihilo, out of nowhere, that was her looking for guidance with a specific task. The only time she'd sensed the Force directing someone was. . .

She glanced at her Master, who'd had the Force direct him to Noonar, for a mission that'd saved lives that would've absolutely been lost without them, without him ever asking it for guidance, and whose knock-on effects were probably far greater than she could understand.

But, as she was coming to realize, perhaps not greater than Lucian could understand.

But even then, she hadn't felt the Force, she'd felt something interact with Lucian's enormous Presence, only able to detect it by its secondary effects. Something that she knew was rare in the extreme.

So why had she thought the Force directed Jedi on every adventure they had?

Her training kicked in, used to examining the thoughts that exposure to the Dark created, but while there were no corrosive suggestions to look out for, the skills were the same. The Force did direct Jedi while they were in the middle of a task, but the kind of 'go here now!', on anything more than a system-wide scale, was almost unheard of if it didn't involve some kind of personal connection, like a Padawan Bond, and even then that wasn't common.

"They. . . they investigate things. Sometimes they're called directly. But if they don't they go looking. Poke around. And when they find something, because there's usually something to find, they think the Force sent them there, instead of just helping them do what they already wanted to do? Find trouble in order stop it?" she asked, which would be in line with her Master's borderline heretical view that the Force had no Will of its own, only the desires of its users reflected back on them. "So to justify what happened, they explain it backwards, because they want to be right, so the Force shows them they are?"

"Indeed," Lucian nodded. "Or the Force is unusually silent around me and the thousands of reports and hundred of Jedi I've talked to were all lying." She shot him an incredulous stare. "It's possible, just not probable, but you must keep in mind that you might be wrong. However, just because you are wrong, doesn't mean that the person who has proved that to be the case is inherently right."

Their ship, which had left atmosphere, as patrol speeders converged on the position of the destroyed property far below, wheeled around and started to head out of the system. "So," her Master asked, rubbing his hands together. "What do you want to do, Padawan?"

That was certainly a question. Did she want to stop pirates, like Jorel always wanted? No, that'd mean a lot of killing. She knew it was part of the job, but it wasn't part of the job she liked. Humanitarian mission? No, that'd mean a lot of suffering. They'd be helping, of course, but her Force Healing wasn't nearly good enough to help on that scale, and it'd just depress her. Negotiate some dispute as the neutral third party, as Jedi were often called to do?

She glanced over to her expectant Master.

No.

With their luck one side would've done something really bad, so he'd just kill them, and she wouldn't be able to blame him once she found out, but that's really not what she wanted right now.

"A. . . another Force using Sect. Like the slugman tribe. But one that doesn't use the Dark!" she quickly added.

"Most touch upon it with some of their techniques, but the low-tech level and tribal nature of that group meant they used the Dark more stridently than most I wouldn't kill on sight," Lucian warned, confirming her fears about the 'diplomatic' option. "But. . . . there's a group over in Oricho sector, a few days Northwest of here. It's in the Outer Rim, but barely, like Noonar was. Actually, Noonar's not that far away in case you want to swing by and see. . ." he trailed off, reading her trepidation.

"Actually, lets let that settle a bit more," he decided, and she let out a breath she didn't realize she was holding. "Same rules apply though. Learn, but create your own techniques in accordance with Jedi ideals. Don't copy. The Circle's techniques aren't terrible, and don't have nearly as many of the Tribe's dangerous practices, and when they do get even close there's a great deal of warning that they're about to occur, but it'll be a good learning opportunity."

"Circle?" she echoed, the name oddly simple, though, from what she'd learned, simple, humble names tended to be a good indication that the Force Sect was Light aligned.

Master Lucian grinned, and she couldn't help but worry. "Oh yes, Padawan Anaïs, we're going to go talk to the Circle of Magic on Bhoyaria! Didn't you know? We're apparently Wizards!"

This is honesty one of the best "I'm a Jedi master" Jedi i have ever had the pleasure to read... even if he basically follows a voice in his head telling him to go to random planets and kill people.

Always love how insanely open ended the Star Wars lore is that it can change so much movie to movie or book to book let alone fanfictions. Reminds me of 40k where everything is kept so damn vague.

Arc 2, Chapter Four
Arc 2 Chapter Four

"Now, Padawan Jorel," Er'izma warned, "I want you to spend three days planetside without getting into trouble. Do not try to break up criminal rings. Do not go 'exploring' only to find ancient ruins. Do not help someone who seems harmless only to discover they are secretly royalty on the run. Do not do anything that would put your life in danger."

"I've only done the first thing!" the padawan in question objected. "And I didn't even mean to do it!"

The Jedi Knight looked unimpressed. "You say that as if that makes it better. Perhaps I should take you with us after all."

Jorel winced, but nodded. "If, if that's what you think." At the last several places they'd stopped at before they'd run into the 'pirates', the Padawan hadn't been allowed off their ship, as they were only short stops to resupply, when a single shift of the crew got some time off, and if he was being honest with himself, Jorel was looking forward to this one. Now that the problem with the 'pirates' had been taken care of, the shift that had been skipped over was going to have a few days off.

The 'pirates' were actually the planetary defense force for Sochi, a planet whose main trade was tourism, and who were searching for actual pirates. Apparently, a band had started raiding the traffic in the sector, hanging around the system to try to rob the citizens who came from the Core and Colonies to go on vacation. As such, the local military was doing everything they could to try to stop the raiders, but had had. . . limited success, to say the least, which had led to their 'trap', not having expected someone actually coming to help.

Jorel had been surprised that they hadn't known about the Judiciary Legions, until his Master had asked him, "Had you heard of the Judiciary Legions, before you arrived here, Padawan?" Which had been a good point.

"How many of Judiciary Legions are there?" he'd asked at the time, knowing that this one was the seventh, but not a lot about them.

"There are eighty-six of them," the Knight had replied. "Half are assigned to ongoing duty in a single system, though most of those are prestige positions, not because they are needed. The others operate autonomously, some across a small set of sectors, and some, like ours, goes where they are needed."

Jorel had frowned, "If there are that many, how come more people don't know about them?""

The older man had laughed. "That many, Padawan? There are hundreds of thousands of systems in the Republic. At any given time there are less than fifty Judiciary Legions out and about. It's a small wonder that Admiral Smycrow had heard of us, though it says good things that he did."

As such, the Sochian ships had travelled with the Dove back to Sochi, the freighter still under control of the Flock's soldiers just in case. However, everything had turned out to be on the up and up, and they'd returned the captured ship, while also billing the Sochian government for the expended munitions spent taking it, plus a little extra.

It was a 'training expense', as Er'izma had gleeful informed them.

From there, the members of the pirate crew that the government had captured had been sent up to the Dove, and, a short questioning session with the Jedi Knight later, a session that Jorel had not been part of, they had the location of their enemy.

However, the pirates only had a frigate, two corvettes, a handful of starfighters, and a freighter to hold their loot. When compared to the forces the Sochians had mustered, it would've been a hard fight, the forces evenly matched, military discipline hopefully trumping pirate cunning. When compared to the Dove, a fully stocked destroyer with several starfighter wings, and the Sochian forces, well, his master was so unconcerned he was letting people out on shore leave.

Part of Jorel had been wanting to watch the battle, but, as he'd learned from the other times the Dove had engaged an opponent, there wasn't anything he could actually do. As such he'd kind of been looking forward into getting off the ship for a bit, but, despite that, he would do what his Master wanted.

At his Padawan's deferment, the Jedi Knight rolled his eyes. "No, go, enjoy yourself. Just try to stay out of trouble," he warned.

"I'll do my best, Sir," the Padawan smiled, as his Master waved him out of the office.

Sergeant Hisku was waiting for him outside, raising a single questioning eyebrow.

"We've got shore leave, but we need to keep out of trouble. Pack a bag and meet you at the shuttle?" he smiled, but she didn't smile back, just nodded seriously, turning and walking away with purpose. "Come on, I'm not that bad, right? Right?" he called after her, but she didn't say a word.

<SWPP>

Stepping out of the shuttle, looking around, Jorel could tell why this place was a vacation destination. It was warm, but not unpleasantly so, and sunny to the same degree. The capital city was on the largest island in an extensive archipelago, and was a bustling, bright, and clean metropolis. Whereas Dell had seemed more like Coruscant, if only a single layer deep, this place just seemed. . . nice.

Even the Force here seemed more pleasant, not as strong as on Coruscant, but then it didn't have the trillions of lives to add to it, but the Force also seemed a bit more. . . there than Dell had been. However, feeling out into it, he could clearly pick out the members of the Flock, the crewmen that made up Er'izma's Judiciary Legion just standing out a bit more than everyone else did.

However, out of all of them, Hisku stood out the most. "So," he asked, turning to face her. "Any idea of where to go first?"

The Chiss woman lifted her bag. "These first. Then, a local cantina."

"Trying to get me drunk?" he smiled, and she rolled her eyes.

"It's where the others are going," she explained. "At least if something happens, we'll have backup."

Unable to argue with that, he followed her, dropping his bag off in his room, and, quick enough, they found themselves in a seaside cantina, sipping drinks as the waves calmly washed against the vivid yellow sands of the beach in the early afternoon.

It was one of the most boring things that he'd ever done in his life.

"So. . . people just do this. For fun?" he asked, nursing a drink. It was. . . nice he supposed, and calming, but if he wanted calming he'd meditate. Glancing around, most of the others had alcoholic drinks but, looking back at his own beverage, a beverage that Hisku had gotten for him personally, he supposed that might've been part of the appeal.

"So I'm told," the Chiss woman replied, looking around as well, a moment of unsurity on her normally composed features. "I'd normally spend shore-leave with my squad-mates, but they're on second shift, and we're on first."

Jorel looked to her, not trying to read her through the Force directly, but still feeling a stirring of sadness. She'd never mentioned her old squad before, and it was a bit surprising to hear her do so now. However, from what he knew of the woman, she wouldn't mention things like that when she was 'on-duty', which she'd been, whenever he saw her, since the last time they were on leave. "Do you miss them? I'm sure we could work with them," he offered.

"They're a boarding team, and engineers," she shrugged. "They're not going to have overlapping duties with you."

"Hey, I'm here to learn," he argued. "I'm okay with engineering, but you have to admit, I'm a terrible shot. You're helping, but maybe they could help in different ways?"

Hisku frowned, sipping her drink. "There are better instructors in the Flock."

"Maybe," he shrugged, "but I'm still figuring out which end the bolt comes from, not how to be really good. They could help me with the basics, and the experts can focus on the people who can hit the broad side of a bantha."

While her expression was reserved, stirrings of hope, faint to his senses, came from the woman. "I suppose it would best to most efficiently use our resources," she acknowledged. "However when you've learned enough, it would be best to utilize more experienced instructors."

"Of course," he smiled, sitting back and sipping his own drink, a fruity, sweet concoction with just a taste of salt. Relaxing, he allowed the Force to flow easily through him, and through it, got a sense of the area around him.

The sergeant was correct, half the people in this cantina were part of the Flock, Humans, and Twileks, and others, but mostly Chiss, drinking and relaxing, all happy to be off the capital ship for a few days. Hisku stood out more starkly, partially because of the fact that he knew what her presence in the Force felt like, and partially because of her own ability in the Force.

It wasn't enough to get a firm sense of her, like how Er'izma was a legion all on his own, or how Anaïs was crystalline flames, but it was there, untrained, and subtler because of it. Looking outwards in the Force, across the bar, his mind seemed to stutter for a moment, his eyes sliding over something, but, with his senses open, he could tell they had skipped over something.

He tensed, before making himself relax. Someone was using the Force here, but they were in a bar full of allies, and his Master had done his best to pound into his head to not jump whenever you felt something weird in the Force, unless it was a warning of oncoming danger, and this didn't have that kind of. . . urgency.

"Whatever it is, we're not going," his attaché commented blandly, and he glanced over at her, confused. "The last time you looked like that, you ran into a burning building, and we were captured by criminals. Whatever it is, we're not leaving."

"It's not like that," he quickly reassured her, and from her wordless sip, expression flat, she didn't believe him. "Gimme a sec."

He closed his eyes, reaching out, and trying to feel everything around him. Hisku was there, and, reaching out more actively, he could feel her concern/worry/readiness. Reaching further, he could feel out the other members of the Flock, their emotions a riotous mix, though enjoyment was a solid undercurrent. In the others, their Presences much harder to pick up, it was a wider mix, though their undercurrent seemed to be annoyance/defensiveness/ownership.

They don't like us in their cantina, Jorel couldn't help but think, but that wasn't what he was looking for. Reaching beyond even that, he was looking for. . . . there!

It felt, well, like his own Veil technique, an area of effect Mind Trick that just said 'I'm not important, don't mind me'. He could try and overpower it, but that would be very noticeable for everyone in the area that could use the Force, especially the person throwing up the Veil. Instead, he watched it carefully, mentally slipping inside it to see what was hidden there.

Opening his eyes, he looked to the source of the Veil, seeing a Chiss woman at the bar, her back to it, a beer held loosely as she stared right back at him. She wore a uniform, marking her as one of the Flock, but it was a much darker shade than the others, but, more than that, she looked familiar. Jorel had seen this woman before, but he couldn't remember where.

The woman stood, walking over to their table, weaving through the crowd which seemed to unconsciously part around her before she got to where they were seated, plopped down, and dropped the Veil, not breaking eye contact.

Hisku froze, eyes darting over to the woman who likely had just seemed to appear out of thin air, and who just smiled lazily. "Hey again, newbie," the Force user greeted.

"Hey," he nodded back, finally remembering where he'd seen this woman. "You're from Geist Squadron, right?"

"Glad to see we made an impression," she quipped, even as Hisku stared at her with barely hidden hostility. "And hey to you too, Sergeant."

"Good evening, Lieutenant," his attaché replied, with cold formality.

That got the Padawan's attention. "Hisku? What's wrong."

"Hisku?" the other woman laughed, glancing at the sergeant. "Aren't you an ice queen." She turned to look at Jorel. "It's a Chiss thing," she shrugged. "So, how you've been? Last time I saw ya, you were gettin' over dippin' into the Dark. That's never fun."

"You've done that?" he asked, unsure of where the conversation was going. He'd reached for that forbidden power to make sure that Hisku hadn't died because of his stupidity. Why had she?

The woman grimaced. "Only a few times. Better than dying, but. . . ya got my sympathies kid. Worse than comin' off spice, least that's what I hear. Right, where are my manners?" she asked, putting down her beer, wiping her hand on her leg and holding it out to him. "Name's Thriv'icki'nuruodo, but you can call me Vickin. Big E's last apprentice was a ponce, but you seem okay."

"That's General Er'izma," Hisku corrected, but Vickin just rolled her eyes.

"Thanks?" Jorel asked. "Though, I have to ask. Why aren't you a Jedi? You can use the Force, and you're stronger than some of the Initiates at the Temple, so, why?"

"Easy answer?" Vickin replied, " I was 'too old'. Long answer, we don't really get Jedi in the Ascendency, 'cept for Big E, and we're not really keen on 'em neither. Too many tellin' everyone the way things 'should' be, instead of takin' us as we are. Nah, back home if you're Force Sensitive, you got a choice. Exile, or death."

"Wait, wait, you kill your Force-users?" he asked, eyes wide, glancing over to Hisku, who he knew was Force sensitive. "I thought it was just 'cheating'!"

The older woman snorted. "Kid, you don't get what that means. This ain't 'cheatin' at cards', or 'cheatin' by lookin' up the answers to a test to get into a job', where ya still have to do the job. Nah, the Ascendency is all about what you can do, a 'true meritocracy'," she stated with mocking formality, waving her beer in his direction, before putting it down on the table, hard, for emphasis. "Cheaters break the system, so they're not allowed. So when Big E swung by, I jumped on and didn't look back. Best decision of my kriffin' life. Went from livin' in fear to bein' able to do this."

Reaching out with one hand, she made a grasping motion for her beer, the Force flexing as she called to it.

Nothing happened.

"Oh, Sithspit," she swore. "Come on, how do you. . ." she muttered, making the motion again, and this time, the Force flowed, her beer jumping from the table to her hand, sloshing a little, but she grinned at him, a little drunk, but very proud. "Better with mind-stuff myself, but I've been getting' better. Not a Jedi, but, I don't really want to be. Ya guys are usually kind of dicks, but you seem okay enough."

"Thanks," Jorel replied dryly, taking the back-handed compliment in the spirit it was given, turning to Hisku, who looked at the other woman with distaste. "Really? They would've killed you?" If they wanted to do that, why are you still doing what they want? he wanted to ask, but didn't.

"I understand why the system works the way it does," his attaché replied with formality, understanding the question anyways. "I am grateful for the opportunities I have been provided."

Vickin snorted, "Newbies. Give it a year or four and she'll calm down. They always do."

"How many Force Sensitives do the Chiss have?" Jorel had to ask.

"A few," Vickin smiled. "Couldn't have the Skywalkers without them."

The Padawan frowned, "What's he got to do with anything?"

"He?" the older woman asked in turn. "Skywalkers are women. I coulda been, but I can't see Druk as a navigator."

Now Jorel was even more confused. "Navigating? The Skywalker I know's a Padawan. Really strong in the Force, but his technique sucks. He just brute-forces everything." Which would've made the fact that he got picked as a Padawan sting more, if Anaïs hadn't found out that the Knight who was taking him on was the Padawan of the Master that'd found the kid. Favoritism was one of those things that just kind of existed in the Order, while the Order pretended that those things didn't happen.

After all, attachments were forbidden. Everyone knew it.

"Where's he from?" Vickin asked, frowning. Jorel just shrugged, never having asked. "Eh, probably nothin'. But, yeah. We've got a good number crop up, more than some other races, enough that it's a problem sometimes." Finishing her beer, she waved a waiter over, ordering a round for the table.

When they arrived, Hisku looked at it with distaste. "Drinking on duty is against regulations," she stated.

Vickin just snorted. "Yeah, you're on duty. This your normal posting, or ya a new transfer?" she asked sarcastically, waving around the Cantina, before turning to him. "Hey, Jorel, you'll have a drink, right?"

"I don't see why not," he shrugged, taking a sip, and having to cough at the burning taste, provoking laughter from the Geist.

A touch of Force Healing helped, even as the woman called out, "Come on, that's cheating!"

"Like you have room to talk," Hisku muttered, but reached out for her own drink, taking a sip. The other two watched her, waiting for a reaction, but the younger woman just raised a single, challenging eyebrow, and drained the entire glass, placing it down with calm precision.

Vickin laughed, "Ice Queen's got some cubes!" Draining her own, she waved to the waiter, holding up three fingers, before turning to Jorel. "Come on, that's not gonna drink itself!"

With a mild feeling foreboding that had nothing to do with the Force, Jorel looked to Hisku, who shot him an expectant look. Letting out a breath, centering himself in the Force, he slugged down the burning drink, repressing his reaction the same way he would when the Temple Masters would 'test' his Mental Shields.

Think of it as training, he told himself, as he smiled at the Geist, not letting anything other than calm confidence show. "Eh, it's not so bad."

<SWPP>

Honestly, it wasn't him that started things. Interestingly, even drunk, he was centered. More centered, actually. Turns out, training to keep level at all times also applied to being intoxicated, though it did make sitting around a good deal more fun, trading stories of life in the Temple, versus some of the places Hisku and Vickin had seen, and trouble they'd gotten into.

Vickin had been more forthcoming than Hisku, but the sergeant had started opening up after a few more drinks. The sun had set, and who knows how much time had passed when things finally went wrong. The later it had gotten, the more packed the place had gotten, the locals coming in to find the cantina already occupied. Jorel didn't know who started it, but someone had thrown the first punch, and it'd rapidly gotten out of hand.

The brawl had spread, and, short of jumping out the window, they were trapped. A large man took a swing at Vickin, who, cackling, had caught it, Force Control strengthening her body as she'd tossed him into a woman who'd grabbed a Chiss man, sending both down and letting the crewman reverse the hold.

Then a Rhodian had taken a swing at Hisku, who'd leaned out of the way, clocking him, only for the Rhodian's friend to go after Jorel, at which point staying out of things wasn't an option. For a second he'd considered grabbing his saber, and setting it to sting instead of cut, but no-one else was using weapons, except the occasional chair or bottle, and the Force itself seemed to warn him off it, even through his hazy thoughts, or because of them, he wasn't really sure.

He and Hisku had been pulled further into the melee, while Vickin had practically jumped into it, and the two of them worked together, covering each other's vulnerabilities, clearing out a space of safety in the chaos of combat.

The Force swirled around them, Vickin a dark wind that slipped at the edges of the fight while both Jorel and Hisku used Force Control to strengthen themselves. The Padawan nearly tripped the first time he sensed it from her, and her technique was worse than many Initiates, but the mere fact that she was using the Force, even if she probably didn't mean to, brought a smile to his face.

And, after a few minutes of furious fighting, it was over, the locals down or fled, while the Flock, in high spirits, let out a collective cheer.

Then the police arrived.

Thankfully, after a night in holding, and paying a fee, they were let free into the rising light of dawn.

"Ugh, my head," Hisku complained, shying away from the bright light.

Jorel, who'd taken time to fall into a healing trance while he waited, smiled, feeling good. "Want me to take care of that for you?"

The Chiss hesitated, before nodding with a grimace, stiffening as she closed her eyes.

Jorel cupped his hands, reaching out into the Force with his desire for her to get better, to be whole, and small, glowing droplets that shone an ethereal blue gathered in his palm. Turning his hand, the fluid stuck to his skin as he pressed it to her forehead, letting the Force flow through him, and into her, easing her pain.

Some of the tension eased out of her as he worked, but she stepped back before he was done, looking away. "Thank you. We should return to our rooms. We both need a shower and- you!" she hissed, as Vickin stepped out from an alley with a grin. "Where were you?"

"Hotel," the older Chiss woman smiled, tossing two bottles their way, which they both caught. "Prison beds blow. Go on, have a drink."

"I think we've had enough to drink, thank you very much," Hisku shot back. "Isn't that right, Jor-Padawan Jorel what are you doing?"

The Jedi lowered the bottle, having taken a swig. "Drinking. It's sweet, fruity, and a little salty. Not alcoholic at all."

"Yeah," Vickin chuckled. "Hair of the dog's for idiots who can't handle a hangover, but that should help. You guys were fun, seeya 'round!"

With that, the Geist drew a Veil around herself, though Jorel could still tell where she was by the location of the Veil, and she walked away, even as Hisku glared at the spot she disappeared from.

"So, shower?" Jorel suggested.

"Shower," Hisku agreed. "And no more cantinas."

The Padawan shrugged, "Hey, you were the one that suggested it."

From her glare, the sergeant had no response to that, so he just smiled, walking past her, and heading for their hotel rooms.

<SWPP>

The next two days they relaxed, seeing local shows, going swimming, and otherwise doing things you couldn't on a ship. Soon enough, the Dove returned, the next shift cycling down to have a day off while they resumed their duties, but they were light as the ship was completely undamaged. Dropping his things off in his quarters, he and Hisku went to see Er'izma.

The Jedi Knight was at his desk, looking over reports when Jorel walked in, Hisku along with him, taking her position by the door. The older man looked up, and asked, "Padawan, how was your vacation?"

"Good," Jorel answer honestly, "relaxing, stretched my legs somewhere that wasn't made of Durasteel."

"Do anything interesting?" Er'izma asked, sounding curious.

The younger man nodded. "Saw some local shows. Went swimming. It's different in an ocean than in the Temple's pools. That was fun. "

Finally, his Master looked up, and he wasn't amused. "And this report of you being arrested for brawling, along with several dozen other crewmen."

Jorel froze. "I, well, yeah that happened too, but it wasn't that interesting. We didn't start it, but they didn't exactly take 'I don't want to fight' for an answer, Sir," he added, under the man's flat stare.

Er'izma sighed. "Apparently three days was asking too much, or even sixteen hours. I suppose I should be grateful that no one died this time."

"Master, that's not fair," the Padawan objected. "I didn't go looking for a fight, a fight came and found me."

"I suppose that counts for something," the Knight replied. "And where we're going next, that won't be an issue."

Jorel sat up a bit straighter. "Where're we going?" he echoed. As far as he knew they were just wandering.

The Commander of the Flock nodded solemnly. "There's been an official request, and we're the closest Judiciary Legion in range. From here, after two days to restock and resupply, we're going to the Pengalan system. A civil war has broken out, and we're going to end it."

Arc 2 Chapter 5
Arc 2 Chapter 5

"I. . . I expected more," Anaïs commented, as they walked out of the Bhoyarian spaceport, which, while clean, was very. . . normal. Anaïs hadn't been in that many spaceports, as Lucian preferring to land in the middle of nowhere with his invisible ship and sneak in, pretending they'd been there the entire time. When they'd first arrived, at the edge of the Bhoyaria system, he'd kept the cloak off and they'd casually approached the planet, going though all the proper procedures of asking for clearance, moving on a pre-approved path, landing in a hanger, and even paying the docking fees.

It was the first time they'd ever done so.

Now, they each carried a bag with a change of clothing and basic supplies as they walked out into the city streets of Pelkram, the capital city, as speeders flew overhead, unhurried. The people, mostly humans, went about their business, though many different aliens could be seen as well. The locals were darker of skin, more than tanning would account for, a bit like Master Windu, though Master Windu himself came from the planet Haruun Kal.

Were she Force-blind, as her master referred to those who could not feel the Force around them, it would seem to be a normal place. Maybe a little more pleasant? The air was clear, despite being in the middle of a city, the temperature a little warm, but comfortable, and the press of people, while ever-present, never reached the uncomfortable point of being awash in a sea of humanity, like one often felt on Coruscant, away from the Temple. To most, it would be nice, but that was all.

But to her?

To her, the world hummed with life, with vitality, with the Force.

It was almost intoxicating, as it thrummed through the ground, the people, the very air itself, all was thick with the Force, however, she hadn't been able to sense it, as ever-present as it was, until, after they'd landed, Master Lucian had guided her in meditation to truly see the world's character in the Force, which had, until that point remained hidden. Without doing so, she, like she was sure many Jedi before her, would have seen nothing special about it, but using the same techniques she'd used to not only ignore, but to actively deny the pressure the Dark put upon someone, she understood.

That had worried her at first, as an entire planet aligned with the Dark, however subtly, was not something she was ready for, but as he often did, Lucian had just laughed, and told her that just because a technique had one use, that did not mean it was its only use.

"The Temple way of understanding the Force is to diffuse yourself into it, making yourself part of it, but just as a fish doesn't understand water, or tides, doing things that way makes it much harder to sense anomalies in the Force unless their disturbances are particularly violent. It makes reading 'the Will of the Force' easier, but removes the ability to understand why you are doing whatever it is that you are doing. If you have complete belief in the infallibility of the 'Will', then you do not need to know, but if your own desires, however slight or repressed they might be, are sculpting it. . ." The Master Jedi had shrugged, "Eventually, you'll find yourself somewhere terrible with no idea how you got there."

"No," he'd continued, "the way I've been instructing you to center yourself in the Force, present but unaffected, is what allows you to sense the world as you are now. The Sith way is to center yourself, and make everything known in how it relates to you. The way some Jedi teach to sense the Force nowadays it is to try the opposite, to deny your own existence, as they are doing the opposite of the Sith, so that must be right. However, like they so often do, that faction assumes they understand their enemy's position without ever studying it, and also never questions their own way. No, all Force users instinctually do what we do, and those that believe differently have to be trained out of it."

"The Light is connection, so you start the same as the Sith, by centering yourself and knowing who you are, but then you need to reach out, and not see how everything else relates to you, but how you relate to everything else," he'd told her, with the air of revealing a key fact that should've led to something greater.

She didn't get it.

"Isn't that the same thing? If you relate to things, and things relate to you. . . what's the difference?" she'd asked, hands raised in confusion.

Looking mildly disappointed, Lucian had told her, "Primacy. As Sith, you are the most important thing in the universe, its conceptual center. As a Jedi, you are merely one part, a star, shining bright, but one in the tapestry of the sky," he'd mused, oddly philosophical in contrast to his normal matter-of-fact explanations. "Even if you direct things, even if you're the pilot of the 'ship', you aren't the entire ship, and, no matter how important you are, you can't make it work through your will alone. So, center yourself, and don't assume you know what's around you, but look and listen to the Force, to see what is truly there."

And she had.

And she had seen.

"So, a Sith couldn't find this place?" she'd asked, expecting a yes, to hear how their way was, as it was in so many other ways, superior.

Instead, he'd snorted. "Kriff, no, any half-decent Dark adept could spot this place in an instant. It pulls on them too much. If you don't ride the Force the way we do, but make yourself a rock for it to crash against, you become very sensitive to its pressures. It's only when you think you know what a place will be, an unimportant world in the Outer Rim, that, as its presence is not aggressive, places like this are overlooked. And that's assuming a Jedi even comes through here, off the major Hyperspace lanes as it is, more than once a century or so. Remember, there are over a million worlds in the Republic alone, Anaïs, and only around ten thousand Jedi."

Which, crunching the numbers, meant that over their careers, if they were to see them all, each Jedi would have to see a hundred planets. That seemed doable, even easy, as they'd seen almost that many in a couple months, when you counted the ones they'd buzzed by in-system while heading to their targets. If they'd stopped by them instead, it'd take longer, but they'd have hit that quota in a year or so.

Only, it needed to be one hundred unique planets, so only one person could count Coruscant, and the eleven other planets in its system, assuming that anyone actually visited an iceball like Ulabos. And then there were the planets, like the one where the Force-sensitive slug-man tribe lived, that weren't part of the Republic at all. When one considered all of that, even a civilized world like this, part of the Republic proper, could be overlooked.

Now, though, walking the streets, in one way, nothing seemed amiss. In the other, the world itself was overflowing with the Force, but in a natural manner that wouldn't draw attention the way the Temple had taught her to look. "I'm still surprised I haven't heard of this place, with so many Force users to make an entire group. Most planets only have one or two!"

Lucian glanced at her, in a way that told her she'd said something hopelessly naïve. "Or is that not that odd?" she asked.

"In the Core, it is," he agreed. "With the Jedi to grab any that catch their eye. The further afield you go, the more common it is. And there are. . . other reasons why, but that's not something to discuss here. In terms of rarity, if one is as common as it gets, and ten is a completely unique world, Bhoyaria is a. . . seven, let's say. With the galaxy being a place of infinite uniqueness, such things are hard to determine. In terms of Force strength, again with one being a Force-less rock, it's a. . . five. Maybe a six, though likely not. A ten would likely burn out the presence of any Force-blind who wasn't completely deaf to its call."

They continued to walk, her Master with purpose, as they navigated street after street. Eventually, she spoke up, "Um, where is it? The circle?" Turning a corner, seeing a large building full of Speeders, with several speeder busses parked nearby, she clarified, "It's not in Pelkram, is it?"

"Of course it isn't," Lucian had smiled. "After all, while most cannot sense the nature of this planet, Bhoyarians do have access to the Holonet, Padawan. A certain division between what is widely accepted, and what they do themselves, is required. And, should a Jedi be inclined to stop by, there is nothing in the public capital that would draw their attention. They'd poke around, find some petty crim, pat themselves on the back, and be on their way."

"Public capital," she echoed, but was waved to silence as her Master was greeted, giving his bank information and quickly issued a small but fast two-person speeder. Tossing their bags into the back, they smoothly took off, lifting up and turning to the west, Lucian seeming to know exactly where he was going, which he likely did.

"Public capital," he finally agreed. "Bhoyaria is not a unified planet, though they pretend to be. It's instead a loosely allied collection of city-states, almost all of them Adeptocracies, or Magocracies, as they call themselves. Pelkam is neutral ground, to keep others from interfering, but we're going to Bamide, well, you're going to Bamide. I'm going to Lolade, to make sure they've done as I asked. And if they haven't. . ." The Jedi shrugged, but she understood. "Given how you wanted to do something different, I thought this would work."

Anaïs felt herself blush in shame. She hadn't said the fact that she wasn't at ease with her Master's way of 'problem solving' out loud, but, apparently, that hadn't mattered. "Then we'll only be here for a few days?" she asked, well aware of how quickly her Master worked.

However, he shook his head. "No, places like this require a more delicate touch. You'll have a month before we move on, well enough to start to develop a technique of your own."

"A technique of my own?" she echoed, again, before she understood. "Wait, is that why we're here? But, you said not to copy what others do, no, you said I should develop," she quickly corrected. "But, isn't that stealing? They've worked to make those techniques, and I'm just-"

"Just working to make your own, based on what you observe, as they have worked to make theirs based on things they have observed," Lucian interrupted. "There is no disrespect in learning from another group, Anaïs. If anything, the opposite is true. You are saying that they have achieved something worthy of imitation. Through that you- wait a moment," he instructed, and she looked at him, confused, before he banked to the side, hard, a bolt of bright blue lightning shooting up from the trees, missing their car by only a few feet, the sound loud even to be heard clearly through the muffling of the speeder's cabin.

"Through that you both grow," he finished his sentence, as if nothing odd had happened.

"Master, what was that?" Anaïs demanded, turning in her seat as she tried to see what had shot at them, only catching a glimpse of large and blue beneath the leaves.

The Jedi smiled, "The local wildlife. You remember Uphrades, don't you? While not nearly as seeped in the Dark, Bhoyaria is just as strong in the Force, if not more so. There's a reason we haven't seen that much air-traffic. Most of it sticks to pre-cleared pathways, but that's so slow."

"For someone as old as you are, you're always in a hurry, aren't you," she groused, not sure what else to say, trying to mentally reach out to sense other dangers, and stiffening when, though faint, she felt dozens of creatures strong in the Force as they sped by them, each on the same level as the emberdrakes she'd fought, and resolved to stay out of the forests if at all possible.

"Ah, Padawan, but it is because I've lived so long that I truly appreciate how precious time is," her Master stated enigmatically, falling silent as they continued to fly over the interminable sea of trees.

<SWPP>

"Alright, this is more like what I expected," Anaïs commented, as they walked towards a large complex of buildings on the edge of the city of Bamide, having set down their speeder nearby. Its main building was enormous, more solidly built than any of the surrounding city, but, most eye-catching of all was the floating green crystals that slowly spun above the campus, humming with energy as several dozen smaller pieces rotated around a crystalline spire mounted on a tower in the center of the complex. "But how come people haven't noticed?"

"Noticed what, a unique use of repulsorlift technology?" Lucian asked with a sly smile in turn, indicating the crystals brimming with the Force.

She gave him a flat look in response.

He laughed, "Yes, Padawan, it isn't, but it is so much easier to see what one wants to see."

"But what does it do?" Anaïs asked. "Is it just to show off?"

They approached the large gates that separated the complex from the rest of the city, two robed figures, one male, one female, standing guard. "Halt!" the man ordered, holding up a hand that shimmered with heat, the Force twisting around him oddly to create the effect. Whatever it was, it carried echoes of emotion, though heavily muted, outwards with it, a heavy desire, though of a desire for what she couldn't tell.

Had she not been training with a Sith saber, or been to the death-tainted moon of Uphrades, she would've called it Dark, but it wasn't, though neither was it Light. It was more than the former than the latter, but it only. . . was.

"What business do you have with the Circle?" the Force user questioned, the request just short of a demand, with his desire to know audible in his voice, but tightly controlled.

Lucian smiled, loosening his hold on his Presence, just a little, increasing the size of the effect of the Force around him from that of a Padawan to that of a Knight, the shadows that made up himself in that second plane of existence billowing outward invisibly. The man before them took a half-step back, hand flaring into fire, while the woman stood up straighter, something close to Force Control thrumming through her body, but with an undercurrent of something else along with it. "I am here to learn of course," the Jedi replied simply. "Or, my apprentice is. If you could arrange for a meeting with Headmaster Draconis, I would appreciate it. Assuming he's still alive."

"Why should he meet with you?" the woman asked, her voice a feline purr, challenging and scornful.

As was his want, when faced with possible violence, the Jedi Master sighed. "Seventeen years later, this is still custom? If needs must," he shrugged. Striding forward, he waved towards the woman, who, with a snarl, charged, moving blisteringly fast as she shucked her robe.

The furred woman, who looked to be a Cathar, closed on him with the predatory grace that her species was known for, claws out, though they were far larger than was normal. The cat girl leapt, ready to eviscerate, only to yowl in surprise when Lucian took a half step back, grabbed the woman's wrists, and twisted with a ripple in the Force, sending the woman flying back the way she came, but upwards, as if fired from a cannon, clearing the gate and hitting a large window in the central tower several hundred feet away from them.

The guard didn't shatter the glass on impact, what was likely transparisteel holding firm, but, though she wasn't close enough to hear, Anaïs could've sworn the snap of a broken bones reached her ears as the woman in the distance fell to the ground, behind the gate and out of sight.

Turning to the remaining guard, whose flames had gone out, Lucian smiled. "I believe that counts as the prerequisite display of skill. Now, about that meeting?"

<SWPP>

Soon enough they were being shown inside, the guard calling for someone instead of leaving the gate undefended, and they were shown to the very tower Lucian had tossed the other guard at. Up several sets of stairs, they were lead to an ornate pair of doors, which opened on their own, just the faintest stirring in the Force detectable, before their guide could knock. Striding in with a smile, the Jedi Master greeted, "Wyrmling, how are you? Still going by that made-up name?"

A dark-skinned elderly man, tall, and lean, but projecting strength with every movement, shook his head, standing in front of the very window that Lucian had thrown the guard at. "I am still around and, as I have told you, it's a title. Are you still causing trouble and collecting strays?" he asked in return, regarding Anaïs, and she felt a terrible presence pressing down upon her.

It felt as if she were under the eye of an enormous dragon, resting in its lair upon a hoard of immense wealth, wondering what interloper had dared attract its attention. She stayed upright, calling upon her Mental Shields and standing firm under what was almost an assault, demanding she either kneel or flee, but she did neither.

"Hmmf," the old man commented, short white beard twitching into a small smile, and the pressure relented, the dragon satisfied. "Stronger than most of the candidates you bring me."

Wait. What?

"She should be," Lucian commented smugly, "She's my apprentice."

The old man's head snapped over with speed at odds with his age. "Your what?"

"What candidates?" Anaïs questioned, at the same time.

The Jedi Master looked over at her, again with a slightly smug smile. "Come now, Padawan. You know how restrictive the Order is with who they take. Find a student too old, too weak, or who already has a touch of the Dark to their presence, even if it's no fault of their own, and they'll turn them away. There are others, however, who are not as. . . restrictive. Depending on their aptitudes, and their proclivities, I might send those who have potential any number of locations. Someone who either has an aptitude for, or has already started using, Foci, I would direct here. Someone with a desire to heal over all else, I would direct to the Fleshweavers, don't worry, the name's not as ominous in the natives' language. And finally, someone with a more martial bent would be directed, well, elsewhere."

"And your taking of an apprentice?" the Headmaster inquired.

Lucian shrugged. "Blame the Little One. He convinced me. However, we're taking a slight break from our duties, and, while I see to that little cult of yours, my student will attend as a visiting member of the 'Je'daii Circle', for a month or so."

"It might be closer to two months, possibly three," the bearded man warned. "The Radiance have. . . grown, and politely asked members of our Circle to leave."

"How many casualties?" Lucian asked, which made no sense, however Draconis merely grimaced.

"A little under a third of our mages there perished, and another fifth suffered lasting injury," the Headmaster replied. "We already owe you a debt, but before you leave. . ."

Lucian nodded. "I'll see to them." He glanced over to his Padawan, sensing her confusion over their bond in the Force. "When the Wyrmling says they were politely invited to leave, he means they were told to convert, or die. The Force reacts. . . interestingly to absolute faith, and to one not properly hardened to its effects, it can be. . . unpleasant."

"I'd go myself, but If I were to leave, the array could be coopted," the Headmaster sighed. "And doing so would be to invite retaliation. But if a foreigner were to act, a shadowed blade instead of a purging flame-"

"I understand, Edward, and I'll handle what you cannot," the Jedi Master smiled, and the Headmaster glared, the Force swirling around him as the air shimmered with heat between them. The old man's pupils distended into slits for a moment, before he sighed, the temperature settling and the man's eyes returning to normal.

Harrumphing, the old Adept turned to regard Anaïs again, this time without the crushing, assessing pressure he'd exerted before. "What Faction, should she be joining? Minerali, like you would be or. . . well well well," the man smiled, professional air shattering as he stared at her chest with a level of desire coming off of him that was practically intoxicating.

Feeling very uncomfortable, she took a half step back, before, looking down, she realized the old man wasn't staring at her, he was staring at the emberdrake talon amulet, the tip stained eternally red with her blood, encased in transparisteel. A momento of her first intentional kill, and the result of her first life-or-death clash, though, unbeknownst to her, Lucian had been watching nearby. It was a reminder of the progress she'd made, the progress she still had left to achieve, and her decision to take the correct path, instead of the easy one.

Casually, Lucian stepped up to the headmaster and slapped him upside the head. "Down boy, she's one of mine, and won't be using that as a Foci."

The elderly man looked like someone had kicked his puppy. "But it's already aligned to her, more tightly than any this year!" he almost whined. "Girl, did you defeat it? And is that your blood?"

Looking to her Master, he nodded, so she did in turn. "Two of them tried to kill me, while I was out on a run."

The headmaster turned pleading eyes toward Lucian. "They were on the hunt, and became the hunted! That's. . . that's. . ."

"No," Lucian insisted.

Holding a hand up, Anaïs asked, "What are we talking about?"

"Well, young woman, the answer is simple. Power," the headmaster smiled. "To use magic properly, one needs a Foci, a connection to the world bound to the user, but separate from them. Through it one can manipulate the power of this world, of all worlds, and bend it to their whims. Be the Foci from an animal, a plant, or from the earth itself, if it is magical, a user can align with it and, through it, gain power beyond imagining. Finding a compatible Foci is difficult, and binding it to ones-self is triply so. You," he stated, pointing towards her amulet, "have done both, seemingly by accident. With the proper instruction, and your natural talents, you may one day surpass even me in power," he declared holding an arm out, palm up.

The man's dark brown skin shifted, sprouting deep red scales, hands becoming talons, and a crimson flame, so dark it was almost black, appeared in his palm. It radiated power in a way that called to her, as it whispered of strength and power, how she could become ruler of all she surveyed and could mold the world to the way she wanted. For good, or ill, it all could be hers.

Used to such temptations, she brought up her mental shields, and looked past the Force Adept. Again, the man wasn't Sith, or even truly Dark, though there were absolutely wisps of taint clinging to the power he wielded, and she wanted nothing to do with it. Meeting her master's gaze, she raised an eyebrow, as if to ask 'What is the point of this?'

The Master Jedi smirked, stepping forward, and with a hand covered in Shadowy Force, crushed the flame held in the other man's palm, the oppressive power cut off completely. "What Draconis is not telling you is that, by using a Foci to shape your expression, it shapes you in turn, Padawan. You will, whether you like it or not, start to gain the traits of that which you align yourself with. It is not a flaw of the process, but a feature, for, once you have learned to use a Foci fully, down to your very soul, you will no longer need one." He nodded to the Headmaster who was looking rather put out.

"And what is wrong with being a dragon?" the old man challenged the Jedi Master. "I am still me, only more so." He turned to her. "Are you sure, young lady? The path your teacher walks is a hard one, and you will work thrice as long for half the power, using yourself as your Foci, as Lucian does."

She smiled, recognizing that, despite the temptation the old man's power instilled, it wasn't intentional, and the choice was hers. "Thank you for your offer, Headmaster Draconis," she bowed formally, "but I am a Jedi, and a Jedi I will remain."

Lucian laughed, clapping the taller man on the shoulder. "And this is why she is my student, instead of yours."

Arc 2, Chapter Six
Arc 2 Chapter Six

Jorel was coming to realize that life in the military was, in its own way, very like life in the Temple. Oh, they couldn't seem more different in a variety of ways. The food was better, clothes were more comfortable, and he had a definite sense of doing something as part of Knight Er'izma's legion, however informally, but the pace of life could be described in the exact same way.

Hurry up and wait.

Oh, a Jedi wants to talk to a lowly Initiate like you? Better Hurry! Oh, he's actually busy with something so you needed to sit until he was ready, where any distraction would be held against you for 'lacking focus'? Better Wait!

And both states of activity and inactivity came without warning, without explanation, and without any set end. Well, in the Temple they had. In the Flock Jorel found he often found he had all three, though that didn't make the waiting any less annoying, but then again without a Temple Elder around to notice his annoyance he didn't have to hide it.

I'm comparing life in the Military to the Temple. Why is the Military winning? Jorel couldn't help but think, before shaking his head. No, the only reason things were better here was that this was a Jedi-run military unit, which, other than the fact that it wasn't supposed to exist because of something he vaguely remembered hearing about in the Temple, wasn't that bad.

In a way, Jorel thought he should be grateful, being left behind to sit around. Getting dragged down on diplomatic meetings was really kriffing boring. He'd only been brought to a dozen or so, but they were always tedious. They'd arrive, the locals would be surprised, they'd meet with the leaders, the leaders would flagrantly lie to their faces, Er'izma would, with varying degrees of subtlety, remind them of the small army he had at the ready, and then the leaders would be, if not honest, then less duplicitous.

Then would come out the double-talk, and the 'I'm a Jedi, who are you trying to fool, I know exactly what you mean' implications from Er'izma, and then the haggling, so much haggling, and then they'd be done. Heck, most of the time they didn't even need to use their forces, just the threat was enough, prompting the Padawan to ask if they really needed to tow around a small army wherever they went, now intimately aware of how many credits doing so actually cost.

"Ah, welcome to the paradox of war, young Jorel," Er'izma had smiled. "For it is when you have the required forces, that you do not need to use them, and only when you do not have the required forces, does their need make itself known. It is because of their presence that we may do things the. . . subtle way."

"'Subtle way'?" Jorel had repeated incredulously. "What's subtle about a battlecruiser in orbit above their capital city?"

"The fact that said capital city is not on fire," the Knight had replied easily. "Jedi are not unkillable gods, Padawan, even if many act as if they are, so sure that the Force will protect them personally, instead of the galaxy as a whole. Even those who present a façade of invincibility know that if, for example, the king of the planet they're there to help is trying to kill them, they are going to need a good amount of chaos and misdirection to get to the one that can call off the hunters. Or at least the Force tells them what they have to do, which is, on the outside, the same," the older man had said, having made clear his distaste of trusting the Force without reservation. "Which works, right up until it doesn't."

Jorel thought he could see where this was going, but had to ask, "But they're still trying to kill Jedi. They have to know that it won't work, or, if it does, it's only a matter of time before more show up."

"That is what the Temple suggests," Er'izma had nodded, "but to address your main contention, Padawan. Most politicians do not understand the Force."

"Most Jedi don't understand the Force," the Padawan had shot back with a bit of a smug grin. "At least according to Grandmaster Yoda."

Said smug grin had died under the unimpressed look of his Jedi Master. The larger man had, eventually, noted, tone cold, "You'd be best to ignore the words of those like the Grandmaster, Padawan. Do so because they know so much more than you, and have forgotten what it was like not to know, that they can truly think they are helping, yet set you astray with every phrase. In the most abstract sense, Master Yoda is correct, in that no one truly understands the Force perfectly. However, such advice could just as easily lead one to disregard the words of those wiser than themselves because they don't 'understand' the Force, just as easily as the blanket advice to trust the words of one's elders could lead to slavish, unthinking obedience. However, as you know, that is not what I meant."

Jorel had nodded, chastised, and tried to return to their original topic. "So, most leaders can't understand the Force; so they underestimate it?"

"Indeed," Er'izma had nodded in return. "The masses might see Jedi as unknowable, nigh magical, warriors of legend, but leaders, who know full well how the beliefs of the publics may be amiss, may even be responsible for the public's misunderstanding of important topics, believe themselves intelligent and wise. Most are the former, but not the latter, and so think themselves superior for 'understanding' how the Jedi cannot be even half of what people think they are. However, those people are acutely aware of the power of belief, and so they 'know' that Jedi are threats which must be removed, but do not fear them enough to stay their hand, or obey a Jedi's orders. A couple dozen turbolaser batteries, aimed at their military installations, however, is something they can understand."

And so Knight Er'izma was meeting with the leaders of the government of the Pengalan system. Well, of Pengalan V, which was the only truly habitable planet in the system. Pengalan VI was an icy tundra, lacking in any resources, and while there were some mining towns on Pengalan IV, it was a hot, desert planet even Jorel didn't want to go to, let alone the more arcticly inclined Chiss. Thankfully, the Legion was rarely deployed, and even if they were to be, the more varied climates of Pengalan V, made of forests and swamps and plains and mountains, seemed much more comfortable.

All of which led to his current circumstances, waiting for his Master to return, having instructed Jorel to stay behind, for reasons he refused to explain. At least, unlike in a diplomatic meeting, Jorel was free to browse the holonet until Er'izma was finished. Honestly, Jorel wasn't sure what he was looking for, and his thoughts turned to Anaïs, but there was no useful push from the Force, telling him to look up some planet or another, only a sense of distant longing.

"The General is returning!" came the announcement, an hour later, and Jorel dropped his datapad on his desk, standing. Sergeant Hisku, who'd been looking something up on her Datapad from his couch, mirrored the action.

They were both armored, in case negotiations became. . . aggressive, but they apparently hadn't. Despite that, though, the Padawan couldn't help the feeling that things weren't going to go as smoothly as they seemed.

Sure enough, Hisku looked into the distance, listening to something from the commpiece in her ear, and wheeled around to look to Jorel. "We're to meet the General in his office."

Nodding, the two of them made their way through the ship, everyone still at low-alert, and waited for Er'izma to arrive. He did so almost half an hour later, with his XO trailing, the stern-faced Togrutan woman looking even more annoyed than normal. Smiling at the Padawan and his attaché, the Knight gestured for the pair to follow him in, taking a seat behind his desk as the older woman stood behind him, and to his right. Mirroring him, Jorel sat in the one of the two chairs before the Jedi's desk and Sergeant Hisku stood behind him, instead of taking the other seat.

"Now, I'm sure you're wondering why I asked you not to attend the meeting with Pengalan's governmental body," the Knight announced, waiting for the Padawan's nod before continuing. "It was to keep open certain. . . options. Certain options that some disagree with," he added, shooting a professionally amused look over his shoulder at Senior Commander Zara. "However, I have to ask, young Jorel, do you think you are ready for deployment?"

What? The Padawan thought, surprised, sitting up straighter. His first instinct was to say not only yes, but hell yes! However, he could practically feel Sergeant Hisku's objection behind him, even if, restricted by formality as she was, she wouldn't say anything until after he'd answered 'incorrectly'. And, more than that, he knew what she would say, and, at least in one respect, she wasn't wrong.

"No," the young man sighed, after a long moment of thought, the admission almost painful. He'd wanted to go out and do something, but he also had to be realistic about his capabilities, lest he and Hisku be captured again, or worse. "No, I'm not."

Er'izma didn't reply, only raising a single eyebrow, so the Padawan explained, "Watching the troops take down that fake-freighter, I'm not there yet. I've been getting better at fighting on my own, but I haven't trained with groups. I'd just get in the way, and it hasn't been part of what I've been learning, Master." And the implied because that's the way you've arranged my training hopefully didn't need to be said.

The Knight smiled, glad at his Padawan's 'humility' or whatever, but his words surprised the younger man. "Then it'll be good that you won't need any of that for the mission I have in mind for you. Are you ready for deployment, not in a formal squad, but as you are now?"

"What are you going to have me do?" Jorel asked in turn, confused, but the other Jedi just continued to smile enigmatically. "Then, I mean, I guess so? I need to know what you're asking of me, Master, before I can tell you if I can do it."

"A good attitude to have, but one the galaxy rarely lets one indulge in, especially in our line of work," Er'izma agreed, which didn't answer his question at all.

However, in response to that incredibly vague statement, Jorel had to clarify, "Being a Jedi?"

"Combat," the military leader disagreed, "Though being attuned to the Force makes those problems both exponentially worse, while also many times more survivable. Do you think, if you were in a combat situation, you could extract yourself and Ms. Hisku'biatha'pusi? Assume an enemy force of similar strength to the one you escaped on Dell, and with fighter support in approximately three minutes if needed."

Without that last bit, Jorel would've said no, but if they'd had that back then, they could've called in a strike, bunkered down, and escaped in the confusion. "With that enemy force, and reinforcements, then yes," he answered confidently. He'd thought about what'd gone wrong, about all the ways they could've escaped, or asked for help, or just taken another way out of that factory serving as a front for slavers. He wasn't sure if those would've worked, but these last few months Jorel hadn't spent idle, able to train under an instructor that had pushed him, in a way the Temple Masters had refused to for years, and he was confident of his abilities to do that.

And if he failed, like he'd failed then? He had a poison-covered trump card in his back pocket, a black ace he'd rather not use ever again.

Jorel's Master nodded, sending the Padawan such an understanding look the younger man wondered if the Knight had read his mind. "In that case, you are being assigned to Captain Victbray Thul for the duration of hostilities here, unless I reassign you. Remember, no matter what he, or anyone else may say, order, or imply, if you have to choose between completing the mission, and surviving, you are to survive, but it must be a decision between the two, am I clear?"

"Yes, Master," the Padawan nodded, recalling their conversation after Dell, and on the worth of his life, compared to that of others. He didn't like what his Master had said, but Jorel was a Padawan learner, so he'd go along with it. At least for now.

The older man shifted his gaze to Hisku. "That goes for you as well, Sergeant. The mission may be important, but it does not come first, understood?"

While her reply of, "Yes, Sir!" was almost automatic, Jorel could hear the unease in her voice, wanting to disagree but simultaneously not wanting to do so to her commanding officer. Almost despite herself, she spoke again, hesitantly putting forward, "But, sir, that isn't how I was trained."

"Sergeant," Commander Zara rebuked, but Er'izma held up a forestalling hand.

"Sergeant," the Jedi Knight stated, straddling the line between impersonally professional and kind. "If you were part of your previous squadron, you would be correct, but you are not. Your central mission, which will not change, is to assist Padawan Drettz, and to keep him, if not in one piece, then alive. If you die, you cannot do that, so, pursuant to that directive, your life comes before whatever mission you may have at the moment, unless I deem otherwise. I have seen far too many good soldiers throw themselves on a grenade to protect others, when merely kicking the damn thing to the side would've almost certainly achieved the same result. Am I understood?"

Hisku's "Yes, Sir!" was a lot more crisp, though Jorel, even without meaning to, could still feel her inner turmoil and uncertainty. And if he could feel it, the General certainly could as well, but made no further comment, instead turning his attention back on the younger man.

"In that case, you are to serve as my eyes and ears on this planet, Padawan Jorel. The Force itself suggested this course of action, which is why you have not been publicly seen at my side by the Pengalan government. They have made many statements about the nature of this conflict, of a revolt by workers in the countryside who refuse to follow the will of the people, but I have. . . doubts. You will work under Captain Thul to insert yourselves in the 'Resistance', and discover that which would be hidden from our forces otherwise. You will keep your armor, but you must hide your lightsaber, and your status as a Jedi. Similarly, Sergeant Hisku'biatha'pusi, you will be issued field-armor to wear. It will not be as complete as your normal set, but should do the job without raising suspicion. Any other questions can be answered by your commanding officer. Dismissed."

Jorel stood, but still had one question that he was sure only the Knight could answer, "Master, if the Force told you we should do this, why didn't you lead with that?"

"Because, Padawan, what the Force suggested does not matter," the ancient Jedi stressed. "If you were not ready, you might become so during the mission, perhaps even 'discovering something about yourself' during the following events," the older man almost sneered, his disgust rippling outwards through the Force, "or you would've died, as you almost did on Dell, had you not been supremely lucky. Remember, Padawan Jorel, the Force is an advisor, not your Master, and cannot be trusted the way you are to trust me. I will not sacrifice you for any reason, the Force has, and will again, if followed blindly."

The man's darker feeling subsided as quickly as they had appeared, replaced only with calm weariness. "I have lost Padawans who trusted the Force blindly and implicitly, who put their Faith within that which does not honor such an act, and I will lose Padawans in the future who do not listen. I do not wish for you to be one of them. Stay safe, both of you."

<SWPP>

Navigating the maze of corridors, they found the ready room that was being used by the Captain, two dozen other men and women already seated, going over datapads, all of whom lazily looked up as the pair walked in. An older man, dark haired, but gray at the temples, nodded to Jorel and Hisku. "Welcome. Glad to see the General was right," he commented, his pronunciation oddly crisp.

That statement caused the focus of the others to tighten on them, several eyes darting down to the saber on Jorel's hip. "We got a Paddy?" a reptilian man groaned, green scaled brows knitting in annoyance. "Babysittin' isn't what I signed up for."

"That Padawan could kill you in about thirty seconds flat," the older man told the Nikto, Jorel only recognizing the species because of a Jedi at the Temple of the same race. "Not like the last two. Do read the reports I send you."

"The last two?" Jorel asked, frowning, but the Captain shook his head.

"Not important, how much has the General briefed you?" the older man asked in turn.

Sharing a look with Hisku, the Padawan replied, "Not much. We're undercover, and I can't show that I'm a Jedi. That's it."

Captain Thul sighed, "Alright. We're doing a pretty standard Guerilla Insertion ploy. Groups like this Resistance tend to recruit from everyone, they have to in order to function, while trying to keep a central core of personnel. This makes them weak to infiltration. That's where we come in. We're going to be landing in a stealth craft and disembarking in the town of Edgewater, here, most likely named because it sits at the edge of the water," he explained dryly, the display behind him indicating a port-side town. "They've got a small spaceport, and from what we can find out, a bit of a smuggling problem. Alpha team, led by myself, will disperse and spread the rumor that the local government is going to hit it, and hit it hard. They've asked us to do so, which means the rumor has the benefit of being true, so the moles the Resistance has in the government will confirm our story."

"Wait, when you say 'hit'. . .?" Jorel asked.

The older man nodded. "Targeted orbital bombardment. It's a dumb kriffing move, and one that'll do the opposite of what the government should want, which is why we're looking behind the scenes. That town's is going to be wiped off the map, and a lot of people are going to die, but less than if we hadn't warned them. That will also give us our in. You see we," he waved around the room, "are 'smugglers'. After the first ship tried to escape and got shot down, we ran for the hills, and are joining the Resistance to get revenge. Gamma Team, it'll be your job to steal a ship and set it to fly out remotely, for the Dove to blow out of the sky."

"Yes, Sir," a horned woman nodded, the protrusions forming a crown that poked up through her hair, her face marked with discolorations that almost looked like tribal tattoos. "Wire it to blow in upper atmo if we need it?"

The Captain considered that, then shook his head. "No, we don't know their surveillance capabilities. If the Dove doesn't hit it, either the Cranes will, or someone'll board it. Delta team, your group will be looking for resistance contacts to offload weapons. We'll give a crate or two of bugged blasters, with more 'on your ship' to sell them. If none of us can make contact, contact us and the real smugglers to offer us all an in."

"Understood," a Chiss man with long hair nodded, professional expression shifting to a criminal's easy smile. "War sucks, but it sure does make for good business."

"Indeed," Thul remarked dryly, "Beta team, you've got Padawan Jorel. You'll be playing bait, the kind of well-meaning strays smugglers like to pick up. You don't know the situation on the ground, only that your captain, yours truly, decided we were coming here next." Looking over to Jorel, the Captain explained, "Guerilla organizations do a surprising amount of recruiting by 'informing' young dumb children of their 'plight'. They all whitewash it, of course, but how much they do is part of what we're here to find out."

"I'm not a dumb young kid," Jorel objected, prompting laughs from half the squadron.

"Kid, you're fresh from the Temple," the horned woman informed him. "For this, ya still are."

He wanted to argue, but got the sense that any more objections would just be taken as proof, so held his tongue.

"Regardless of your actual status, you'll seem to be enough of one to catch the notice of their recruiters," the Captain informed him, blunting the insult a little. "But you move differently enough it needs to be accounted for. Alpha and Beta teams will be from one 'ship', Gamma and Delta from another. When we're in, try to keep in touch, but do not push it. They will try to separate us to lessen our existing loyalties and leave us dependent on them. Those of you who can operate independently, do so if you have to, those of you who can't pick one or two others and refuse being cut off from them, but let them split you up into different cells."

Beside the Padawan, Sergeant Hisku stiffened. "Sir, I have orders to stay with Padawan Jorel," she stated firmly, ready to fight him on it.

However, Captain Thul just smiled. "I meant that for the others, Sergeant. I'm aware of the General's. . . practices. No, there's only one way you two will be allowed to stick together in a situation like this. It will be one you will need to sell convincingly, and one you will need to not budge on."

"Whatever it is, I'll do it!" Jorel's attaché promised, which prompted chuckles from those assembled. "What?"

"Well," the Captain remarked, glancing between the two of them with an amused smile. "The only way you'll be able to stay together, is if you two are lovers."

Back