Star Trek: Lower Decks (Cartoon Spin-Off Created by a Rick and Morty Writer)

Pronouns
He/Him
New Star Trek show created by Mike McMahan, writer for Rick and Morty and co-creator of Solar Opposites.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to this. I think one of the best ideas they've had with the Trek renewal was going for multiple styles so that each show has its own unique feel.

From that trailer- no thanks.

The show might be better paced with more story, drama, and less crappy attempts at jokes, but we'll see once it's out.

I'm all for a comedic take on Star Trek, but from this trailer it just doesn't seem all that funny. There were maybe 2 jokes where I chuckled a bit. I'm not very optimistic about it.

It just seems weird to have such a comedic take actually be set in the universe its would usually be just casually parodying. I'm not really sure if that will work out right. It seems like it might mess with the tone a bit.

Also minorly irritated that's its lowkey perpetuating the stereotype that animation is silly and comedic compared to live action.

If its not locked into Amazon Prime like Picard was over here I might check it out but it's definitely the least interesting of the Trek shows going for me.

I feel like this cartoon would have been received better if it was a Star Trek parody instead of an official Star Trek spin-off

I feel like this cartoon would have been received better if it was a Star Trek parody instead of an official Star Trek spin-off
Probably, though I'm not quite sure how fair it is.

One of Rick and Morty's strengths is that creativity that they can use to build situations to create episodes arounds. Being explicitly set in the Star Trek universe, I'm not sure they can match that.

New Star Trek show created by Mike McMahan, writer for Rick and Morty and co-creator of Solar Opposites.

I actually didn't think was that bad. Some jokes didn't work, but we don't have all the context for the characters, and that can help sometimes. I've long since stopped being bothered by the idea that new shows should fit into the canon of Trek, because otherwise I'd be frothing at the mouth.

But I'd think of this like Blood Bowl, a ludicrous send-up of an established setting, where the balance is firmly shifted towards humour, and it has the creative freedom to play with that.

Given what "writer of Rick and Morty and Solar Opposites" led me to expect, this was ... quite tame, and I mean that in a good way.

The concept is a "Shut up and take my money" one; I'm still a bit afraid the Rick and Morty style is too jarring for Star Trek, but if they find their sweet spot, this has the potential to succeed in execution as well.

As someone who despises what Kurtzman has made of Star Trek, it's hard to get excited about this.

If Discovery and Picard are what Star Trek is now - dumb, vacuous, string-you-along action schlock with lens flares and explosions - then I think it's time Star Trek and I started seeing other people.

On a basic level, I'd suggest actually seeing a episode first? May suck, admittedly... but you can't fairly judge based on 2 clips and a few pictures.

I really like the idea of a show about the lower decks, and even having it be a semi-comedy show, but I just can't get past the animation style. For some reason to me all the characters look like ones you'd encounter in a 2d mobile Star Trek game. The new photos are a little better but the first ones all just looked like there was no depth to the scenes at all. Still, I'm hopeful I end up watching and enjoying the show.

Definitely looking forward to seeing a less serious take on the Star Trek franchise and I do appreciate how they're basing the ship's interior design and computers an the TNG and Voyager era over the new movies.

Not a fan of some of the wacky "adult" humor, but I'm definitely going to be watching this. Though I might wait till the second or third episode comes out due to the early weirdness that pilot episodes can have.

As someone who despises what Kurtzman has made of Star Trek, it's hard to get excited about this.

If Discovery and Picard are what Star Trek is now - dumb, vacuous, string-you-along action schlock with lens flares and explosions - then I think it's time Star Trek and I started seeing other people.
Isn't The Lower Decks looking to be the diametric opposite of Discovery though?

You know what? It's alright. I didn't find the first episode as funny as something like Doom Patrol, but it was enjoyable throughout and the animation and design can be pretty good.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters were fun so far, so was the plot, and the humor managed to land pretty well. It never felt like it was making fun of Trek and instead demonstrated a lot of love for it.

I liked it, it gave some well needed comic relief to the usual monster of the week plots.
Through, as with most shows, I needed to pause the first few minutes frequently to get a sense for the characters.

Watched it. It wasn't as bad as I was worried, there were funny moments and jokes and it's showing love for the setting. But my biggest problem is that everything happens *way* too fast. I have a hard time following everything that's going on. And Mariner speaking so fast too doesn't help with that.

I don't actually mind it too much. Mariner's more than a little over the top, but I think that's my most significant complaint about it so far - and they seem to have toned it down in episode two.

One of the things I really enjoyed was how everyone was so supportive of Rutherford. It struck me as a remarkably Star Trek thing to do. His boss in Engineering is raving about him and he goes to the guy and he's like "I'd like to try working in another division" and the guy's like "That's great, you'll be amazing!" It's very wholesome.

Back