Solo Pokemon Quest: Closed to New Players

Pronouns
She
Running a pokemon quest was one of my favorite things to do here, but I really enjoy customizing these things, and that's a lot easier to do when working with an individual. Would anyone want to have a solo pokemon quest run for them?

I'm interested, tentatively
I'm unlikely to run out of interest or patience, but how much of this is cooperative writing versus me just having to put a check box into a set of options? My time varies, and having to write a paragraph of "here's what I want to do" might not be available to me every week (or day). What's the commitment you're looking for?

Depends on you. Can either be "pick an option" or "I do a complicated write in"

Default is gonna be "pick an option" for ease of play. I've found people find it easier when given choices to pick from

Depends on you. Can either be "pick an option" or "I do a complicated write in"

Default is gonna be "pick an option" for ease of play. I've found people find it easier when given choices to pick from
I'm happy to play by post with generally "pick an option" then. I likely can't do 7 votes every week, but I expect I can also reliably respond within 24 hours.

Well, one other caveat comes to mind. Do I have to track numbers? If not, count me as option when you consider a player. I just likely can't reliably do math on a respectable posting schedule.

Last edited:
I think my interest would largely depend on if write-ins are at least an option, provided it maintained quest elements and didn't work as just a quest.

One possibility is running it as a small(er) scale RP/Quest hybrid, depending on how big a game you're comfortable with and what you're planning overall, perhaps limit it to two-to-four players, both in that it's a smaller number of players and it's in line with the number of games/protagonists that the original titles operated on and the number of starter Pokemon traditionally available (Red/Blue+Yellow; Gold/Sliver+Crystal; X/Y+X2/Y2; Sun/Moon+Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon; Etc; Grass/Water/Fire+Pikachu/Eevee unconventional fourth pick)

You could run it more quest like, giving player the option to RP beyond their action choice and with room to do write-in; if the main focus is helping people have ideas about what to do you could lean more RP style but end each post with a blatant list of viable suggestions.

Why would numbers need to be tracked?

And write ins would always be an option of course :)

The real question is if I should crib off of the Pokemon Jumpchain for startup options

Are you referring to the number of players suggestion I made?

I was more looking to that you seemed interested in keeping it on the low side with the original idea of a 'solo quest' where only one person participates.
I am definitely looking to keep it on the low side of players :) the thought of running two parallels that can encounter each other is interesting, considering how that might diverge and meet

Why would numbers need to be tracked?
As a crude example:

Red finished the battle, with only one Pokemon left. His pidgey was poisoned and he was out of antidotes.

*Go to pallet town
*Go to viridian city

[X] pallet town

-Next chapter-

You fail to make it there, because you were already most of the way north. Your pidgey has fainted. You pass out.

Would you like to reload a save?

-

Not that I'm still bitter about that particular game over, but having to count steps, pp, and that sort of thing isn't unreasonable but I also don't think I'd be the kind of player for such a quest.

I think my limit would be picking single moves in a battle and maybe tracking hp

I'm guessing 'saves' probably wouldn't be a thing; and in my experience things like 'steps' and 'pp' are usually handwaved away in fan Pokemon games, especially of a more casual setting, though possibly with some kind of alternative energy that's loosely kept track of to help balance certain things out.

Also based on past experience, there tend to be character sheets of some kind or other to help track various things and the GM helps keep track of things as well. Joint effort and all.

Cool! Just one last question and we can start

Pokemon Jumpchain with 1000 points to purchase with at the start, or just run off what I come up with?

forums.sufficientvelocity.com

Dual Pokemon Quest

Starting off with the Pokemon Jumpchain! You will get a 1000 points to spend. Obviously the location part of the jumpchain is dated, so the new roll to make if you don't want to pay for location is 1 Kanto 2 Johto 3 Hoenn 4 Sinnoh 5 Unova 6 Kalos 7 Alola 8 Galar 9 Paldea 10 Free Pick Then...

It's up!

Most of the first part is you guys making your choices, then it's off to the journey

Here's my spending of 1000CP
50 City Life
300 Psionics (Discount from City Life)
150 Technician (Discount from City Life)
100 3x Masterballs
-100 Silenced
0 Actual Starter (Charmander)
50 Shiny
150 Mental Bond
50 Medical Kit
50 Collapsible Baton
50 HM Collection
50 50k Pokedollars
50 50k Pokedollars
50 50k Pokedollars

Inclusive of Perks:
Acrobatic
Freerunning

"Silenced" mentioned the relevance of sign language. I didn't see an option for extra languages besides Pokeglot. As such, I felt comfortable assuming I understand Common and Sign Language.

Starting equipment:
bag, pokegear, pokedex, 5x pokeballs, 3x potions, hat (red)

If not overly presumptuous, I'd assume that I've programmed my pokegear with a text to speech app through my Technician skill.

I'll be rolling for starting location, age, and gender, as I do not care about any of those. Well, that's not quite true. I've played Pokemon Red and Gold. I'd like to play this game without relying on the wiki and while exploring something not half remembered. However, I didn't have enough CP left over and I wouldn't mind a long game anyway.

Edit: Male, 11 years old
And free region pick. I don't care as long as it's not Kanto or Johto. I'd enjoy a location with ruins and a secondary preference for getting a dratini
Tascion threw 1 10-faced dice. Reason: Starting Region Total: 10
10 10
Tascion threw 1 8-faced dice. Reason: Age Total: 2
2 2
Tascion threw 1 2-faced dice. Reason: Gender Total: 1
1 1

Last edited:
One thing worth consideration is that if there is going to be any possibility of character interaction, then it probably works better if both characters start in the same region, which I'm not sure is the kind of thing a Jumpchain is intended to take into account, I'm of the impression they're normally designed for one player setups.

So I'm wondering then how are we approaching that and how strictly close are we staying to the rest of the Jumpchain format presented?

EDIT: Also, are we going to have separate IC and OOC threads, or are we going to have set 'inventory' posts to keep track of what our characters have, and are we taking the approach of our characters being natives of the Pokemon world?

EDIT 2: Idea for consideration - rather than using a pre-established region, one possible idea might be taking a page from Legends Arceus and having our characters venturing to a new, unexplored region, but in a modern setting (and probably without any original Pokemon, unless you insist on inventing some).

Last edited:
Once the story starts most of the Jumpchain info becomes irrelevant outside of how it sets up the story to start.

And you're right, Jumpchain didn't consider location for two people, so Hoenn for both of you it is and you don't need to worry about spending CP on location

Characters are natives to the pokemon world

Back