So, you're a magic wielding noble in a fantasy world!?

[X] The Young Loyalist
-[X]The new Graduate.
-[X]Loyalty to the Throne.

Alternately, this is taking the shiny new idealist (more-or-less) and seeing what being tossed into a new situation with a queen who may or may not have power-base issues of her own will do.

[X] Plan So we've a new queen, so what?
-[X]The Teacher.
-[X]Fulfilling the terms as written.

I'm in favor to general indifference and lack of ass kissing for the most part, compensated for with genuine talent and skill and the time and connections to thrive despite caring not much at all about the Luminaire elite. We are a teacher doing well for ourselves and cultivating the next generation and our support network is much more important. If the Queen wants to horde false power, let her.

[X]Power Behind The Throne
-[X]The Teacher
-[X]Loyalty to the Throne

[X]An Age of Enlightenment
-[X]The Council-Member
-[X]Jealousy

Power Behind The Throne would be trying to teach the new queen like we would any of our students.

Age of Enlightenment is a plan dedicated to the rejuvenation of Pellas as a city in its own right.

I think either would be a cool story.

[X] The Cynic.
-[X]The Teacher.
-[X]Jealousy

-[X]The Teacher.

-[X]The Council-Member
-[X]Jealousy

Last edited:
Student: Subject to pressure from all sides, no connections and no resources in Pellas, but fewest actual commitment so free to pick opportunities. Council picked a student so it's not like they expect much from this whole affair. However loyal we are, our actions are still of no consequence to them. We can establish at the capital from scratch if need be.

Teacher: Subject to direct pressure from the council, and the council probably expects you to quietly do their bidding. The council thinks they need to send someone competent yet pliable. Has some connections and resources to affect Pellas at large, which the council might expect us to put to use in our new work. Loyalties matter. Utlimately though, we'd have some control.

Council-member: Has existing agendas they need to be mindful of. Can't just leave the experiments alone. Has all the political power that can be acquired, but still need to play politics with the rest of the council. Loyalty does't actually matter, because at our level we're the ones demanding the loyalty and setting the precedent.

[X] The Young Loyalist
-[X]The new Graduate.

[X] The council wants a pawn but chose a knight.
-[X]The teacher

Last edited:
So is our country Pellas or Hallas? I see both being used in the 2nd chapter

I want to make spells and maybe find out why magic is getting weaker and how to stop that. Theory is the Ritual is sucking up a lot more mana than the world can replace so the mana in the air gets diluted.

Last edited:
I want to make spells and maybe find out why magic is getting weaker and how to stop that. Theory is the Ritual is sucking up a lot more mana than the world can replace so the mana in the air gets diluted.
Normally a number of people probably don't have enough talent to make their few drops of magic worth using, so it builds and releases into the atmosphere over time. With her spell cutting into that, it only makes sense that magic would weaken.

[X] The Cynic.

And so with this terms class being smaller than usual (they get smaller every year you swear)
Is the oathmagic draining something like the magical potential of practically everyone and concentrating it on the queen and her nobility?

Last edited:

I am too intriguing in my CK games so loyalty to the kingdom and not taking advantage of legal loopholes are not my thing

[X] The Young Loyalist
-[X]The new Graduate.

[X] The council wants a pawn but chose a knight.
-[X]The teacher

Is the oathmagic draining something like the magical potential of practically everyone and concentrating it on the queen and her nobility?

Absolutely everyone who resides within the kingdoms borders and is subject to her laws and under her protection. (something that technically applies to diplomats and weakens visiting mages of other nations)
Peasants usually don't notice the amount of power it's neglible. If you have enough power to cast three spells left per day with some energy left over, and instead you can cast 3 spells per day and be slightly more tired. Practically speaking it barely impacts ordinary people.

Everyone has some magic, everyone gives some. But for most the amount is so miniscule they'd barely notice. Bearing in mind, apart from new conquests, most of the kingdom has grown up not knowing any different.

People with strong natural magic power generally give the same percentage, but because they have more, it's easier to tell the difference.

If you were gonna be a mage, chances are it won't effect you. But law of large numbers, there's enough mages who would just 'barely' scrape by on power requirements, that the oath leaves them just under that threshold. But far more damaging to the mages. You could study from childhood, apprentice under a master for a decade and/or go through expensive schooling, to be a fully trained mage by your mid twenties, knowing all the technical aspects of weaving spells and shaping mana and so on.

Or. You could swear loyalty to the queen, join the royal army or otherwise receive her blessing. And have access to ready made spells which you can cast by instinct. The light magic as bestowed by the oath and the queens blessing is so simple that children can use it, and they do. A completely normal noblechild could wake up today, travel to the queens coronation. Swear her loyalty and receive the queens recognition. And be blasting laser beams from her hand by that afternoon.

It's an extreme example. But you get the gist, if you are born with magical power and want to be a 'mage' you can either study for years and do it the hard way. Or, you can swear the oath and have all the hard parts handled by the ritual. Pretty easy choice.

And even then, plenty of people have magical power, but choose to never seriously develop it, and are quite happy living ordinary lives while the nobility protect them.

And. it concentrates it in the queen. Who then dispenses some of it to her champions. Who, in a bit of a chicken/egg situation. Are normally one flavour of nobility or another.

Voting is still open, with young loyalist in the lead. But it's close enough That I will leave the vote open for a while longer, call it about three hours. Once the voting is closed it's closed and if needed I will roll a d2 to decide any ties.

Adhoc vote count started by BoSPaladin on May 25, 2023 at 3:32 PM, finished with 22 posts and 19 votes.

+High magical knowledge
+High Reserves of 'natural' magical power.
+Vast libraries of knowledge
-Limited in numbers
-Those bastard Royals and Luminaren nobility are cheating.
-Large numbers of impoverished 'noble' mages.
A reminder that Pellas starts with high magic reserves so we aren't particularly bad off just because we don't feel particularly invested in Luminaire or it's queen and pass on power to focus on the welfare and embarrassment of our students.
Once again, the politicking of the council has fucked you over. You're to swear loyalty to the new Queen, on behalf of the entire city. An experienced mage, fully paid up guildmember, former adventurer, and mentor to over a dozen apprentices now respected mages in their own right. The argument is that none of the council members can be spared from their duties or experiments. And so with this terms class being smaller than usual (they get smaller every year you swear) you are the lucky faculty member chosen to swear loyalty. You're no fool, this is an insult to the crown, but a calculated one. Though it also perhaps spells opportunity. Until and unless the council meet with her Royal Radiance and gain her approval their loyalty, slim as it is, only weakens them and strengthens her. Should she bless you... well. More power oft helps with climbing the slippery slopes of university and city politics. Apart from your teaching tenure which is significant, you are silent partner in several businesses and have students aplenty that owe you favours. Taking one or two to the capital for your own protection wouldn't go amiss, and would prove a useful learning opportunity for your most talented apprentices.
Also, Teacher gets plucky fresh faced apprentices to tease talk too on the way there.

[X] The Young Loyalist
-[X]The new Graduate.

Of the two leading options I like this one better.

-[X]The Teacher.

I just want to teach.

Back