@tankdrop24 Indeed; I would've appreciated ice cream after watching that thing.
@tankdrop24
When my dad, my sister, and I went to see Inside Out we stopped off to get lunch in the food court afterwards and talked about the movie. Neither of them were particularly fond of it (the whole "So the main character's just controlled by a bunch of little people in her head." part was pretty weird) but we did have fun chatting. My sister and I did a similar thing after seeing The Force Awakens and got to make fun of the weird parts of the movie.

So at the very least, I'd say having lunch or ice cream and making fun of this giant commercial afterwards could make for a nice experience.

Also, it would be irresponsible to leave her alone in the theater with that movie. She might not realize she can leave to escape it.

@tankdrop24
When my dad, my sister, and I went to see Inside Out we stopped off to get lunch in the food court afterwards and talked about the movie. Neither of them were particularly fond of it (the whole "So the main character's just controlled by a bunch of little people in her head." part was pretty weird) but we did have fun chatting. My sister and I did a similar thing after seeing The Force Awakens and got to make fun of the weird parts of the movie.

So at the very least, I'd say having lunch or ice cream and making fun of this giant commercial afterwards could make for a nice experience.

Also, it would be irresponsible to leave her alone in the theater with that movie. She might not realize she can leave to escape it.
@tankdrop24

My friend and I were planning to watch The Emoji Movie together, then he went to Busch Gardens for four days on short notice. I guarantee, if he was there with me, it would've be 10x better. Having company after/during seeing a movie is nice in general; at least for me.

Last edited:
So, a schedule slip up that means that I got out of seeing it yesterday. Sadly, we rescheduled for next monday.

So, a schedule slip up that means that I got out of seeing it yesterday. Sadly, we rescheduled for next monday.
I would not normally advise this, but for this film, I would seriously suggest finding a way to fall down a flight of stairs, or break a limb. These would be far less painful options compared to seeing this film.

Went to see War of the Planet of the Apes tonight and I heard the woman at the ticket booth across from me getting tickets for me so that was a little sad.

Unfortunately it's still making good money :V
No it doesn't lol.
You don't know how big movies work, my dude. Emoji has to earn several times its budget because marketing is a thing and the stidios must actually profit from a release instead of merely recouping the losses.
Half the budget is a disastrous number, all things considered, and if it takes Emoji the entire international run to earn their budget, studio execs will tear at their hair over all wasted effort.
Production budget was 50 million, and as of now, Emoji earned somewhere about 33 in... what, an opening weekend? They should have hit fifty already, and their box office is doing horribly.

Production budget was 50 million, and as of now, Emoji earned somewhere about 33 in... what, an opening weekend? They should have hit fifty already, and their box office is doing horribly.
Oh please. I bet they broke even before it even released on product placement deals alone. By volume half the runtime is ads.

I wonder if it's an improvement or not that Sony just pulled a games-industry and brought the review embargo forward to literally hours before release instead of buying fake reviews for promotional purposes this time :V

Oh please. I bet they broke even before it even released on product placement deals alone. By volume half the runtime is ads.

I wonder if it's an improvement or not that Sony just pulled a games-industry and brought the review embargo forward to literally hours before release instead of buying fake reviews for promotional purposes this time :V

I...I don't know how to feel about that.

Thing is, while studio might profit from the movie before release, theaters don't - and unlike Russia, where many bad movies are also running on product placement, no one can actually force theaters to save their best spots for Emoji 2: Clash of Candy, which leads to ads being useless for their respective companies.

Hence, Emoji is fucked either way.

Last edited:
Thing is, while studio might profit from the movie before release, theaters don't

Yeah, the studio-theater relationship is rather one sided. The studio makes a huge majority of ticket sales, as they lease the movies to theater chains. There's a reason why snacks are so expensive. I'm assuming this dates back to the Golden Age of Hollywood and the immediate aftermath, in which studios owned every aspect of production and distribution and after the Supreme Court broke up these monopolies in the 40's, I'm guessing that these theaters couldn't really make money without direct distribution from the source, so they had to sign up for these extortionate deals.

Edit: I don't remember where exactly I learned this, but source I found.

Last edited:
No it doesn't lol.

I heard it was a 25 million dollar opening weekend ... which is a solid result for a film that only cost 50 million to make. To put in perspective, 25 million dollars is a quarter of absolute smash hit super film Wonder Woman's opening weekend. Emoji will have to stall immediately for it to be a flop. Just saying.

Back