Slay the Spire: FTL meets Dominion

Also why is this thread in non-video gaming actually.

One of the things that has me tempering my expectations is that the original sets such a high standard to meet. But I'll wait to be pleasantly surprised.

I only recently played the first one courtesy of Game Pass, which I signed up for for another reason entirely, but I'll definitely have my eye on number two, now.

One of the things that has me tempering my expectations is that the original sets such a high standard to meet. But I'll wait to be pleasantly surprised.
StS basically carved out a whole distinct roguelike subgenre on its own. While the roguelike 'genre' was already diverse its plainly obvious that countless games have followed that model of one of three cards plus shops, relics and elite analogues, three acts. Even real-time rogues like Hades obviously draw a lot from it.

However most of them have felt kind of lesser. Many ease up on StS' brutally unforgiving difficulty, showering the player with options, making block automatically last from turn to turn, allowing for resets of battles, or just going full roguelite where you start each run stronger until you win, etc etc. Others lack variety, with too few distinct options, the ability to choose the same build every game often with it heavily favoring that, or lack enemies with interesting mechanics to test builds until they break. StS had its issues but it managed to make fighting a floating donut and octahedron feel epic and intimidating yet still hold out hope to pull through.

I'm curious as to what StS 2 aims to bring to the table that its many follow-ups have not. I've seen multi-character parties, some sort of board or full-on tactical grid, mechanics that put higher emphasis on order of play or precision of damage or block. Just getting the balance right, to be challenging without being unfair, is important though and what StS excelled at.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I played StS: Downfall but I just might take another look at it while I wait to see how this turns out.

What they should do for StS2 is: set it in Gensokyo and add tons of Touhou characters so that I don't have to wait for mods.

Back