Scrapyard Angels [League of Legends Insert]

Scrapyard Angels [League of Legends Insert]
Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Being reborn in Runeterra would have been nice yet fate and luck decreed that Ark would find himself reborn in the deepest levels of Zaun. There, beneath the toxic clouds that poisons the air and blot out the sun he lived, scraping for scraps and trying to survive. He has use every last bit of his wit and cunning to survive this new world and if he has to claw his way up then so be it. With tiny hands like daggers reaching up heaven, a reincarnated boy dare try beat the odds in this cruel world
Last edited:
Prologue
Scrapyard Angels Act 1: Prologue

There are two types of the reincarnation to another world according to fictional stories. On one hand you have the unlucky ones, ones whose lives are thrown into disaray as they are reborn to abdject poverty, brutal slavery, senseless persecution, or maybe a mix of both. People just generally being thrown into a shitty situation and having to deal with it. While they might be a relative minority in fiction as most isekais are self indulgent, they just might be the absolute majority cases when it comes to reincarnation to another world. Afterall, not everyone is that lucky

On the other hand, graced by lady luck and whatever random deity was looking at their general direction, there are the lucky ones. They landed the proverbial Nat20 and reaped the rewards. They're your power wank stories, your escapism made manifest, written down or printed in your choice of medium. The powerups, the girls, the magic, and the sheer absolute dumb luck of it all. They simply got everything and to my non-existent audience, who may or may not be just the figment of my imagination, I am not one of them. I'm pretty sure I'm firmly in the former camp.

Trying to stay sane when all you have is a sack of scrap, some ratty ill fitting clothes and a shiv dipped in the putrid rivers of industrial refuse running through the sewers of Zaun, becomes a matter of defining one's sanity.

Growing up in Zaun isn't the best for one's health, in fact it ain't good for anyone's health… well aside from the clump of whumps and the puffcap mushrooms these racoon but not really racoons absolutely adore.

Speaking of Whumps, Puffcaps make for a good offering for these little buggers. You mostly feed them to avoid having to deal with the paranoia of having them sneak up on you and snatch what little valuables you have. They also make for a great albeit unreliable alarm system for the hole you choose as your home.

I dodged an errant blast of steam breaking me from my mile a minute thought. The screeching sounds of noxious gas seeping from one of the many poorly maintained pipes crisscrossing the roads of the Sumps; the lowest floor of Zaun.

Dodging is easy when you're so small that you can easily slip between the legs of the older Zaunite and are barely heavy enough to not starve to death. The pros and cons of being a kid in Zaun I suppose

But wait you say, if I'm a kid then where are my parents? They ditched me the moment I popped out of the bitches womb. Horrible horrible stuff with all the blood and bodily fluid involved. I grew up in an orphanage which ended up being a front for a gang member recruitment / sweatshop. I ran away the instant I could. I would have been either shanked in an initiation or died slowly and painfully from the chemical vats we were told to use. I was still a young delusional reincarnated kid, angsting about morality which went out the window when starvation kicked in.

I could go back but then again living on my own kinda had its perks. Getting to beg for food from the upper floors meant somethings that you can actually taste on the rare occasion. In the orphanage, you only have gruel. Living in a half collapsed sewer pipe wasn't that much different from the orphanage. It's not like Piltover ever cared to even help the orphanage of Zaun so hard rock beds for you little Timmy. All you actually have to worry about is actually working smart enough to feed yourself.

On the matter of not starving to death, was a rather heavy load. My slight frame shouldn't be able to hold it up but I could. Maybe the denizens of Runeterra are just built differently compared to Earthlings.

Just a flight of stairs and a few winding spots and I finally reached my destination, an out of way scrap shop that doesn't try to screw you over. At least there were still some people in Zaun who still have a heart. Entering the shop, I quickly closed the door behind me to prevent the Grey from entering the already limited air inside the shop. No longer feeling the foul air slipping through the thrice recycled filter of the mask almost permanently strapped to my face felt amazing.

"Well if it ain't the littlest sumper. Didn't ya get job in one of the Cultivairs?" Greeted my good friend Bob the Inventor. Who knew having some agricultural background and college level education could still help you in the next world, well that and being smart enough not to be a thieving prick.

"I'm not short anymore" I was but I was the tallest in the orphanage I came from. It was something

"You still are to me" There was no winning against him and his infuriatingly infectious smile.

Shaking my head, I replied "It wouldn't hurt to have an extra coin or two." It never hurts to have more than you need just in case and I just want to visit a friend.

"Always hard working one. Well you weren't the first time you came round this part. Could still remember trying to shout some sense into you. I had to light the proverbial fire under your ass till you start working and living

Next thing I know you became a sumper then a gardner of all things? Already moving up to the Entresol level. Maybe next time I hear news about you, you'll be in the Promenade"

I rolled my eyes at that but smiled at the memories. I always do need a good nudge to get going. "I have bigger dreams Bob, way bigger dreams".

"Well, enough of this chit chat and let's see just how much you hauled". The pneumatic hiss of his artificial leg carried his great bulk closer so he could weigh my haul.

All in all, the haul I had gave me enough for an extra meal or two if I don't question where it came from. I didn't have too much to talk about with Bob. He had his business and I have my home to go back to.

"Don't forget us when you're a big shot!" Shouted my friend as I walked away from his shop a few coins richer. It wasn't much but atleast I didnt have to starve for the night.

Adjusting my goggles and securing my belt, I made my way back to the higher levels of the Sump. The Sump wasn't all entirely made up of the slums, there were different levels. There were shops and street vendors of all kinds just littered around the place. Some place are a bit more honest when it comes to making their food. It just takes a lot of trial and error hoping you wouldn't die from the eventual food poisoning if you encountered the bad ones.

Getting myself some steamed buns, I was going to eat like a king tonight. It might be cat meat or might be rodent meat but it was meat nonetheless. It was a bit expensive, already digging in slightly to my reserve funds but I can indulge in a bit of luxury from time to time.

As I walked down the busy street, I couldn't help but notice a soft cry coming from one of the alleys. I slowed down, letting the crowd pass me by as I glanced at the alley. There in the end of the alley was a little shivering bundle tucked away in a corner, a small little thing just trying to hide from the world

I should pass by and walk away. Let them be and leave. 'You've done it a hundred times before and you can do it now.' Why should today be any different yet… all it took was a simple bump from a busy passerby before my feet betrayed me as I made my way towards the source of the cry

'You can get stabbed, maybe they're just for someone else to do some nasty stuff to you. No one will give a shit if you ever get into trouble' my mind whispered to me, fueling my paranoia yet I kept walking until I was in front of them.

Kneeling down in front of them, god were they smaller than I was, I reached down to my poach and felt the buns and the coins inside. I could give them a coin but... I can starve for the night. It's just one night.

Grabbing the bun, I pulled it out and offered it to them. "Here, you need this more than I do"

I didn't know it back then but that little act of kindness would bring me not only so much grief but also the greatest joy of life as the person looked up to me. The girl with bluest hair and eyes greeted me and the rest was history

A/N:

A new trialer for the Arcane: Animated Series just dropped in youtube and got so frustrated (partly fron having to wait for new lore) that I decided to screw it and write down the idea that's been brewing inside my head. Frustration is a hella good motivator. Maybe I could pump 1.5k words every other day if my muse doesnt abandon mem. This is a crosspost btw

Act 1 Chapter 1
Scrapyard Angels Act 1: Chapter 1

Have you ever had a kitten follow you home? They try their hardest chasing after you even after you try to push them away. It's heart wrenching trying to get them to stop following you. You either harden your heart and walk faster or just accept that you have a cat now.

Having a new cat could probably describe my new situation right now. Sitting on an overturned wooden crate in front of me was the cloak wrapped girl I helped earlier who was now gingerly nibbling at the steaming bun in her hand. She was adorable honestly. Blue hair, blue eyes, and a cute button nose. The blue hair though was a bit of a mystery until I remembered the things they dump in the water. I don't know how I haven't grown a horn yet or a third eye. The first one would be cool and maybe match my blonde hair but the second one… anyways

I don't know why I let her in my home when she started following me. Was it when she grabbed hold of my hand and refused to let go? Was it the way her eyes just bore into my soul and melted through the emotional defense I set up around my heart like a mining laser through concrete? Or was it when she hugged when I tried to push her away.

"Hey Whump, do you think I did the right thing? I asked my furry little friend who nibbled at the puffcap mushroom in his hand. All I got was a simple chitter and shrug. Was that a shrug or was just anthropomorphizing Whump the Whump.

Finishing the Puffcap by swallowing the spore sac inside the nibbled cap of the shroom, my little friend asked for more. I handed him more because it's the only use I have for it. Well, people can use it recreationally but doing it in the Sump as a young kid is akin to suicide. You need to keep your wits up if you need to survive.

The room soon descended into an awkward silence as my two companions continued eating. The only light we had was the small fat soaked wick that flickered from time to time. The dancing shadows behind us server as our companions for the night

All one could hear in the home I made inside one of the many many abandoned service tunnels dotting the Sump was the echoes of the sound of dripping water in the distance and the strange howls that I could often hear from the deeper parts of the tunnels. Those sound honestly freaked me out until I discovered what sounds a whump could make

Breaking the silence between us, I asked "Whats your name? The names Ark, well its Mark but people like Ark better or they just like to mess with me"

I honestly forgot to ask her name. She was quite a dormouse once she stopped crying and her steps barely even made a sound. I feared that she was mute, not too uncommon considering the ever present Grey produced by the many factories of Zaun causing untold amounts of suffering its people.

"Jinx"

And just that, I knew my world would be turned upside down but life threw enough monkey wrenches in my way already for to be that surprised. She could just be a girl with the same name right? She doesn't have the pink eyes afterall

"Well Jinx, welcome to the Abandoned Service Tunnel No. 34A aka my home and your home. Mi casa su casa or whatever that Demacian or Noxian quote was."

It wasn't much. Just a small room that probably used to be a break room for the maintenance workers until Zaun went to shit. Several empty crates I use as furniture and a bucket in the far corner. My kitchen was several turns around the corner to a hot and still surprisingly rust free pipe. It was a cozy place all things considered and even had running water. I reckon that the place was long forgotten and people really don't remember that this place was still connected to the main water line being a service tunnel.

Her smile could melt even the coldest of hearts and lit up my world.

"You can sleep in my bed. It's that lumpy thing over there" It was surprisingly hard trying to find fabric that's big enough to serve as a sort of makeshift futon. People don't really leave that much stuff around when they can use it to make patches for their clothes out of the scrap they found. Recyling is a huge thing down here. Waste not want not

"Well, the candles flickering out soon so better tuck in or you'll stumble on something". Choosing a wall to lean against wasn't that hard. Corners are nice but they leave you cornered. Walls on the other hand give you a bit of wiggle room to the side

She hesitated but a bit of gesturing made her accept it. I specifically choose the farthest wall from her corner. Best to give her some space as well as give myself some space.

Whump settled beside as I dozed off. My mind wandering to the land of sleep as my eyes close shut. Soon the room descended into as the last bit of light from the wick fizzled out and two sleeping children deep beneath the city of progress

-x-x-x-

Morning came soon enough. After a while, you often get to have a six sense when it comes to time here in the Sump. It's a place where the sun doesn't shine but people here know when the sun's about to rise. That and the massive gong emanating from the old heart of Zaun telling you when it's dawn and when the shifts get to swap

I grabbed my mask and checked the filter. There wasnt that much dust in it. It could still work. Thanks to the great spirit Janna for keeping the Grey at bay for a bit. I gave a small prayer to her before affixing my mask to my face

Looking over to my charge? roommate? companion? A heavy feeling set itself upon my shoulder. I need to work even harder than ever before. She wasn't a burden, she was a person that needed my help. I didn't hold any illusion wasn't a great person or even a good person but atleast I hope I could help her.

"Watch over her for me" I asked my friend Whump as I made my preparation for the day.

Finding a ride to hitch on to get to the Entresol wasn't that hard. All you needed was a whole lot of fate that the bar you held on didnt break and the conductor of the carriage didnt find you and break your hands. If all things goes to plan and you don't get spotted by the vigilnauts, your handy dandy thug for hire to keep the peace, then you can get from the Sump to Entresol within an hour.

The difference between the Sump and Entresol was like midnight and dusk. Still dark but the was not a single shanty building in sight. Zaun has truly transformed into the city of glass and steal. The ever present green glow illuminated the streets paved with stone and steel and was somewhat maintained. Steel spires and hextech dotted the place as I finally entered Zaun proper

Dropping at my stop, I ran as fast as my little legs could carry me to avoid the oncoming traffic and get to the Cultivair before my employers get a bit angry

Combing through my long unruly hair and checking if my ponytail tie was secure, I burst in through the unassuming door of my work place

"A minute late. A lady should always be in time." I held back my tongue as I tried not to correct my boss. I was a boy damn it

"Yes mistress"

"Now. Get that filthy coat off and get into your work apron. We have a lot of things to do today"

The work wasn't that hard. Water the plants, check the compost, clean the pathway, carry the plants here or there, trim these branches, check for pests or diseases, check the pH of the soil, and make sure the plants are healthy. Do not touch the fruits even if your stomachs growling because you get an actual meal, still gruel, and clean water later. Thankfully the horticulturist follows the tenant of having healthy workers

You get sweaty from the humidity but it is so much like home. Thankfully I got to hose myself down, but on the soil so as to not waste water, because my boss absolutely despised the smell of the Sump. After a year, I finally had a bath again.

It was several grueling hours of manual labor, half of which was mostly staring at plants but it was labor!

By the end of my shift, my legs felt like lead weight and my neck stiff from looking up yet the days only half done. I still have three more hours of part time custodial work in one of the elementary schools nearby.

I closed my eyes, grabbed the knob of the back door of the school I found work in, silently psyching myself up so I could have the will to clean the bathroom. It's so you can read. It's so you can get out. It's so you can give Jinx something to eat. Do it for yourself and her

Act 1 Chapter 2
Scrapyard Angels Act 1 Chapter 2

Being well educated in Zaun was a big thing and a key to many opportunities. Don't get me wrong, I was already literate. Who knew the Latin Alphabet transcends time and space? I have retained much of my education despite the years of constant struggles and hardship. It's the one thing I still held close to me, the years of education I had will never fade as long as I had a say to it but getting more education was a hard thing in Zaun

Zaun was a capitalist "utopia", a laissez faire economy with little to no oversight. It was great having so many freedoms until those freedoms are squished by the Chem barons. The economy becomes freer the more you go down funnily enough. Anyways, like all capitalist societies, all things need money and education was premium

Yes I have my college education but it was mundane education. I did not have the slightest clue on the basic theories on hextech and magic much less the absolute basics of these subjects. I had to start somewhere and my latest hairbrained scheme landed me here in this unimportant elementary school. I had to start somewhere and to learn enough that I could just maybe get a scholarship. I need some good words from a credible teacher/institution if I wanted to ve taken seriously. I can't just let my quite frankly basic math skills but advanced science skills carry me all the way through because that would be just a recipe for disaster

I cleaned for free, absolutely free so long as I had access to the library and some basic magical tutoring if I could earn it. 3 hours of labor for 1 hour of measly time in the library and an uncertain promise that they could easily stack. It was a steal.

I worked my ass off. I wasn't going to settle to just aiming to survive comfortably. I wanted to live. The school was cheap when it came to hiring custodial staff so it was only me and the other guy when the kids were around. He sure did leave a lot of things for me to clean. The boys bathrooms was always the worst

The bleach and chlorine might singe the hair off my nose but every last second in that library was worth it. While I despised the bathrooms and would rather sweep and wax through a dozen hallways and bathrooms, it had one thing I loved; soap. Filching entire bars of soap would have cost me this opportunity but those almost spent soap whose core somehow barely even worked was a free game. I knew that I asked for them and the staff didn't even blink an eye when they gave them to me. As to be expected from the denizens of the Entrasol levels. Already a bit decadent with their usage of soap.

The school wasn't big by any means. Just a few grades with a single class per grade. Kinda reminds me of the modern class system if you cram every student in a single classroom. I sort of expected my task to get easier the higher the grade of the classroom I'm working in but nope, still relatively the same despite the kids getting older. Hopefully Jinx would grow up much better than these kids. I'll make sure of it.

'Sweep the floor and swab the tile. Do every chore with a smile.' You don't let them see you frown even once. You should be happy, you should show them that you're worth every penny but don't work too hard. The only reason I work hard here was the fact that I hate it. I hate everything and the mounting frustration of having to deal with it fuels me. Frustration is a good motivator if you can channel. Channeling my inner Hagler, I kept working.

By the time I finished school, I was all but exhausted. I ignored the hunger pangs as I willed myself to the library. It was the only part of the school that was clean. Janna bless the librarian's soul for her industriousness and kindness. Schooling my features, I entered and was greeted by the look of the bored principal of this school.

The lack of dirt on her immaculate steampunk Victorian or rather Faux Piltover style of clothing with her wide brimmed hat topped with classy goggles, the new rebreather that adorned her face and her bleached white blouse showed just how far I still have to go. She wasn't' some Piltie or even and high class Zaunite, she was firmly an Entresol native but she had more luxury than I could ever hope to have if I remained a sump diver.

"Took you long enough. Well, get on with it. We don't have all day long"

There she sat in one the many seats inside the library and infront of her might just be on my biggest ticket out of here. A simple globe of glass made from multiple panels of the gass hexagons and pentagons held together by a silvery metal. Suspended within this contraption was a simple half exhausted blue arcane crystal barely the size of a pea. I didn't waste my time and walked towards the instrument

"Now to test your aptitude for magic you simply have to hold your hand out over to the sphere and pour your magic into it. I trust that you did your homework and actually studied how to do it" You have no idea lady. I spent every last hour I had in this library since you hired me last week studying for this. I could already feel the mana thrumming inside me. The foreign feeling inside me. The burning energy that I couldn't tap just yet safely

Reaching out, but not touching the sphere thanks to well placed glare, I breathed in deeply before I took the plunge. RNG has guided me in this world and here's hoping that lightning can strike twice for me and that my magic is actually worth something.

The light within the globe flickered for a bit as I tried pushing it as hard as I could. This, this couldn't be it right? This couldn't be it yet her smile told me otherwise. Her smile, her god damn smile taunted me and it sparked that anger inside me that I didn't know I still had. That hot burning hatred and spite welling up as I poured every ounce of anger I had into the sphere

Slowly it thrummed, glowing brighter and glowing hotter as it started floating above its cushion. Electricity arcing between my fingers and down into the orb as I wiped that smile of her face. Smiling now was worth it as I felt wetness flowing down my face. I must have jinxed myself cause the next thing I knew was I felt something give before a hand pushed me aside just as the sphere decided to turn into mere fragments of glowing hot glass

If not for her timely shield, the whole place would have been subjected to a rogue ball of lightning. I felt my heart sink as I watched the remnants of the device floating inside the bubble shield she held in her hands before it dropped inside her shield as if the strings keeping afloat were cut.

I felt numb as I sat there watching her gently settle what remains of the device on the table. "Miss Ark, that would be enough for now. You may leave while I clean this mess"

I sat up slowly and felt like it was the end of the world. I didn't know how expensive that was but it it had an actual arcane crystal inside it, The very thing that powers the hex tech of this world and to think I might have destroyed a natural one…

"Before you leave, I'd just like to ask you to not destroy the training tool we're going to use tomorrow. Good day Miss Ark" she called out as she held the smallest yet brightest arcane crystal I ever saw

Describing the relief was almost impossible. The euphoric feeling of not getting punished was quite the rush that I almost forgot that she just called me Miss Ark? Oh come on!

I ran back home happier than I ever had before. I bought some cheap bread and may or may not have borrowed an extra from the rival bakery across the street before hitching a ride from one of the "generous and helpful" carriages. I was soon finally back in the Sump and of course luck had to at least throw in one wrench in my way just to keep me on my toes. There waiting for me was Damon and his posse.

"Well well well, if it isn't itty bitty Ark-! Hey get back here!" I ran while he was having his monologue. Talking isn't a free action!

I ran while three thugs in training was hot behind my heels. Their longer legs carrying them faster than my own. Curse their two times a day meal! Their size however would be their downfall however as I found an open manhole. I jumped down the manhole with any hesitation. Their howls of anger behind me was music to my ears while I headed to my service tunnel. Thankfully all tunnels are connected together somewhat. Most of these tunnels was going to be of no use to me once I grow up but for now, I make the best out of them.

I had so much to talk about today to Jinx and we'll have food in our stomach. We could sleep peacefully for the night. I thought I was out of danger but I was wholly unprepared for the red haired missile that decide to tackle me down on the floor and beat the living shit out of me

"Vi no!" Shouted my blue haired angel as she tried to get the crazy girl off me to no avail

"Who do you work for? Answer me!" Each word was punctuated by a punch as the blazing red eyes of Vi stared down on me. Why did I forgot about Jinx's sister?

Irene had seen a lot of mages in her time and the grey hair peppering her otherwise perfectly natural green hair could attest to that. Sweeping the remains of the old fashion device inside a box, she carried it of to the very end of a series of similar yet newer devices, one more intricate than the last and there the shattered device was set beside the biggest device with a sphere machined from a single piece of glass

"To think that even with a device made from cold iron and covered with glass with more impurities than the river below Zaun, you still managed to make a quite a spark Mr Ark."

Act 1 Chapter 3
Scrapyard Angels Act 1 Chapter 3

Waking up in the middle of the night with a black eye and an empty stomach wasn't fun especially when the one that gave me said black eye was sitting just a few feet away from me. The only reason I didn't jump up and try to shank them was because Jinx was running her fingers across my scalp as she nursed me and my aching head against her lap.

Suck it up Vi, no matter how much you scowl Jinx will not let me go. She scowled harder as if reading my mind which made me smile all the wider much to my sweet angel's chagrin.

"I still don't like you" said my unwanted guest

"I could say the same" I replied as I slowly got up. I reached for my pocket and off course my bread was gone and to where it went… I might have a rough idea based on the grin on their face

I should be angry that I just got socked in the face and I was now nursing a black eye and some bruises but I think I ran out of fucks to give today. Nothing was going to ruin my day, nothing and not even the traitor who allowed another person in without my permission could ruin it. Yes Whump, I'm looking at you and don't you dare look away like it's not your fault that somebody got a jump on me

"Have you considered not punching first and asking questions later?"

"Have you tried not kidnapping my sister?"

"Fuck off, I didn't know she had a family. Sorry Jinx"

"Why didn't you ask her first huh?! "

"Well geeeee whiz Vi, why don't you ask me where my family is?"

"Whe-" I cut her off even before she can reply.

"They're gone. Reduced to ashes, scattered across the four winds, in a galaxy far far away" That shut her up. I really didn't have parents this time. They sure did abandon that role when they abandoned me with a smile on their face. I miss my real family.

There was silence between us as the lights dimmed ever so slightly. The wick of light slowly burning as its flamed danced her and fro from the unseen wind

"I-I'm… I'm sorry"I stared at her in wonder which only made her scowl come back. I had to remind myself that she was...just a kid. Not even grown up or just a character on a screen but a real kid.

I couldn't stay mad at her. Well I could but… the cold part of me said to forgive her. She was going to be important in the future while you're not and it would only make Jinx cry if I continue fighting with her.

"Can… can we just start over. It's been a long day for both of us." I was hungry and tired. I was allowed to make mistakes.

"Yeah, that would be… nice"

"The name's Ark, the master of the dark! The cleaner of the park, and the one that will tame a shark!" Cheesy yes but what's life without a bit of variety

She snorted, actually smiling for once as she replied "Vi"

"And Jinx!" Yes Jinx you're adorable and the way you blush as we look at you only make you more so. "Ehehe, I don't want to be left out?"

"This is why I couldn't just leave her alone in the alley where I found her. How did you even lose her Vi?"

"Hey! I-It's not my fault that a crowd separated us!"

Before I could tease her more, Jinx pulled us all together and shouted loud and clear. "Group hug! Family don't fight together ok?"

Yeah…family, I can live with this. This hug was nice and Vi smelled…

"Vi, I need you to take a bath" I deserved the other black eye I recieved. I really do

-x-x-x-

I woke up a bit earlier today thanks to Vi being an early bird. God damn it woman, sleep! It's still dark outside but it's to no avail

"So it's just you two? No more extra guests I should expect for tomorrow?" I asked as I prepared for the day which just involves checking my stuff if it has holes and finally replacing the filter I had. It wasn't rated to last this long, the label said so, but I really didn't have much choice.

"Sorry Ark, we really don't have anywhere to go…"

"Jinx, you have nothing to be sorry about. I know being seperated from family is horrible. Can you at least tell me next time? It's kinda hard having to plan to support two other people''

"Hey, it's not like I'm a freeloader. I have a job ok!" Shouted Vi in protest

"Oh really?"

"I'm a hex mechanic" All she ever received was having my delicate brow raise up

"... An apprenta" I gestured to keep going

"Ok! I'm just a wrench monkey. I carry tools for the hex mechanics" Honesty suited you better Vi. Plus, it's a surprise you're not part of a gang of Sump-snipes. Those roving kids are just horrible, give us honest sump dwellers a bad name. Did I cause this or was this just a random chance...

"Well at least you're paid well. I think we can actually have two meals if we pool our coins to together" Now it was Vi's turn to raise an eyebrow at me

"I work at a Cultivair. Just a Garden Hand. You know, trims those plants and water those flowers''

The look of disbelief was just too precious, all the more so when I reached down my shoe and pulled out a leaf that got stuck inside before giving it to Jinx. It was just a fresh Maple leaf but it was a strange sight to behold in a desolate place like Zaun where only Moss and Mushrooms are the usual "flora" that people see

"How? The Entresol folks hate us Sump-snipes" Vi asked while Jinx was too busy looking at the leaf in her hand.

"I didn't steal any fruit or picked any flower?" I replied. Well there was the background but it was basic at best but maybe basic was what was needed. Plus, it's not like they would actually like mixing compost especially when it has manure. Thankfully, no night soil… I think

"Yes, I have a high paying job" It was an understatement, it was the best job especially when you can breathe fresh air. Also, the chem barons and horticulturists that own and curate the cultivairs don't want any seed finding their way to rival cultivairs. "So Jinx can have a future that's actually worth looking forward to. Speaking of the future, I'll have to teach you the Eng- I mean the New Piltover script if we ever want to get you to a proper school."

"You know how to read New Piltie?"

"Well yeah." Zaun has its own script funnily enough and I can't make heads or tails of it. It was an alphabet and not characters like Ionian but it was hard. Many would find it Ironic that I can't read Zaunite but read New Piltie just fine. "Don't worry, I'll teach how as well"

I would love to talk to them, have I been that starved of contact for that long? my thought however was cut short as thr the heart of old Zaun rings its toll reminding everyone that it was time to work.

"Well, off to work. You know your way out of here right?" The tunnels can be a labyrinth but us Scump dwellers know our way around

"Yeah yeah, just around that corner and make sure to never use the same entrance twice in a row" vigilance, I like that

"Whump, take care of them alright?" I trusted them, I truly did and I hope my trust is not misplaced. Hopefully, I won't have a knife in my back. All I can do is hope

-x-x-x-

Getting to work is as hard as ever. I wanted to take a bath but I refrained until told otherwise. I didn't want my employers thinking I abused their generosity.

Sure I had running water back at home but it was more of a trickle if I had to be honest. I also didn't have a bucket worth shit to collect water on and that much water might attract the rat. Best to just have it as drinking water.

I needed this just job more than ever and I dared not risk being singled and kicked out. I tried befriending my co-garden hands, letting my smile and charm beguile them while looking for any signs that they were planning to be shifty. Workplace politics was the worst

Work was harsh but it had its reward especially when my gardening work was finally over and I was back to school. I hated it and loved it

My teacher was harsh, expecting the very out of me but I just imagined that she was just hard on her student rather than her wanting me out just like what a treacherous part of my mind called out. A boy can dream

"Concentrate, let your mana flow" Channeling mana came easy thanks to my elemental leaning. Electricity didn't need that much push to make it flow but keeping it steady was hard. It was like trying to write with your non dominant hand

I was simply unused to it, ill experienced, there was this large pool inside me that made trying to have a constant flow hard. I had to hold back lest the stream becomes a torrent of electricity

For now, it was just basic training but soon… soon the world.

There was a crack as the stream between my hand snapped before the electricity arced against my hands. It didn't shock me but it felt like having a rubber band snap against my wrist. There even was some swelling

"Concentrate! Don't let your mind wander or it won't be just welts that will cover your hands"

"Yes Miss Irine"

Act 1 Chapter 4
Scrapyard Angels Act 1 Chapter 4

Learning is easy, you just have to sit down and listen. Some people tend to learn better if they're actually doing stuff but the process is still the same. You have nothing to worry about especially when someone more knowledgeable is guiding you. Teaching on the other hand was hard

I don't think I have the patience for it and I don't know how to start it. I often had wrong assumptions and expected Vi and Jinx to know their numbers when they're just as young as I am if not younger in the case of Jinx. I… realized that with the blank look they're giving me.

I had to start from the very beginning, the absolute beginning and work them from the ground up. I had twelve hours of work, not too bad considering the shifts of the older Zaunites, and my patience was frayed by the end of it. Frustration mounted but I had to persevere and understand that they were just kids

My only saving grace was that Jinx was brilliant, utterly brilliant. She absorbed information like a sponge, soaking it like how a puffcap eagerly drinks from the rivers of Zaun to grow and prosper. She was an excellent student.

"So that's the numbers from 1 to 100 Jinx. New Piltie wasn't just designed to be easier to print out in paper but also to make it easier to write down bigger and bigger numbers"

Vi on the other hand… was really good at punching people.

That was her first instinct when she got frustrated and by Janna it's as if she was hands of stone. She doesn't even use her whole body to punch, just her arms alone. The casual power of this girl made up for her lack of… patience to learn. She does have that grit, that sheer determination to catch up to her sister. We're making slow progress but was still progress

"God damn it Vi stop hitting me! I need my shoulder so I can lift up those watering cans!"

"Then make it easier for me to learn this you blonde bimbo!

"Language and who are you calling a bimbo! Do you even know what that means?"

"Dumb cu-!" I had to wrestle her there and then to stop her from cursing even more much to Jinx amusement.

It was my pastime here down in our little home. We were burning through the proverbial midnight oil, nearly exhausting our wick at one point this week before we decided to study outside in the light of the city above us. My hands were usually stained black with coal dust from the hunk of coal I used to write for my students and my... sisters?

They grew on me quite easily, their presence providing comfort that I never knew I missed. Having Jinx braid my hair was annoying but endearing. Even Vi joined in at times when she "borrowed" a comb from one of the shops.

"Hey, do you guys want to go out tomorrow? It's my first paycheck tomorrow so why not celebrate!" Fun little fact, it seems like Zaun has a concept of a no work weekend. It looks like the early Zaunite chembarons knew you can only push a person so far until they become unproductive. It's just one day but it was something

"Sounds fun, anything in mind?" Vi asked as she combed my hair again.

"Are we going to the Promenade?!" Jinx asked excitedly.

"Even better~"

"Oh no no no. We can't afford to go up there. Do you know how expensive it is to use the Conveyors?" The Conveyors, massive gondolas designed to carry passengers up and down the city. It made travel between Zaun and Piltover so much easiser but it was a ludicrously expensive ride for anyone from the Sump. It was far more than a months work could get you

"Who said we're going to use the Rising Howl?" I reserve the right to be smug

"Noooo" Your disbelief is noted Vi and no your stare wont change what I say. I try not to lie

"Really!?" Jinx asked as if I had just given her a wonderful birthday gift.

"Yes"

Vi threw up her hands at the absurd situation she found herself in while Jinx jumped up and down in excitement.

"This is ridiculous, first you know how to read then you know a way up that doesn't require the conveyors? What's next, you're the long lost child of a chembaron?

"What can I say, Education is a key to many abilities that some would say is unnatural"

"Who cares if it sounds ridiculous Vi! We're going to the Piltover!"

"Tomorrow Jinx, Tomorrow so settle down before you trip or something" I worry alot for her. She was our future and my sunshine. I hope nothing takes her away

-x-x-x-

My knuckles were white as I held on to my lifeline. I never held something so tightly before. With sweat dripping down my brows, I held onto my pay with a death grip. I nervously fiddled with my shiv as I took a turn in an alley before finally finding a way down to the omnipresent service tunnels of Zaun

I could feel my stress melt away as I finally came home with Jinx waiting for me and soon enough Vi came home with his own pay. Now it was time to show them why the service tunnels of Zaun is amazing

"Ok, so quick question. How far do you think this tunnel goes?"

"Pretty far I guess?" Vi answered as she walked behind me while I led the way. The dark dank tunnel was only illuminated by the bottle of spent chems that we bought just for the occasion. We simply can't rely on candle light especially when my family isn't that used to the tunnels yet

"Its goes really really far. The only place I think it doesn't go to is the College of Thaumaturgy. I got there once, wasnt a good place. Lots Vigilnaughts" doesn't that place bring back a lot of memory.

Leading them deeper inside in seemingly random twists and turns, we finally get to where we need to before we can go to another place. "And you know why I know my way through these service tunnels? Its because of this. The map of Zauns underground"

"It's… just arrows and symbols" replied Jinx as she stared at the thing with incomprehension and confusion.

There in front of us was an archaic map of the tunnels. It was a chart of symbols and arrows more akin to the New york railway station map rather than a proper map. Some lines were exaggerations while others were shrunk down. Distance means nothing and what only matters is the location at the end of each arrow

Of course this was in the Zaunite script. I can't read it but I know damn well what the letters are and you can easily recognize the letters after you explore it and know where you come out of. These were service tunnels so they made sure that the workers wouldn't get themselves lost here by making sure the end of each tunnel has the name of where it is right now. After comparing the symbols here to the map, you can start memorizing where it leads and soon I found out that almost all tunnels leads to Piltover… or is it all tunnels leads to the bottom of Zaun cause most of the plumbing just go down to the crack

"Ok, I need you to remember these symbols. We're here then you just continue heading forward where the abandoned service tunnel won't be so abandoned anymore and we'll have to go here here and here before we come out of one of the fake buildings of Piltover" I traced it along the map, remembering the route by heart and showing it to my family.

"Off course you can read this as well"

"Reading is a generous term, this is more of memorizing symbols along with a lot of trial and error"

Vi could only smirk, amused by that little fact. Before Vi could say something, we we're dragged along by an overly excited Jinx

"Enough yapping! We don't have all day and I want to see the sky!"

"Slow down!" I shouted as my short legs couldn't quite keep up. I was the big brother yet I was almost the shortest of my family. If not for the few inches I had over Jinx, I'd be the shortest

"Just try to keep up!" Vi shouted as she laughed at my misfortune. I couldn't help but grin myself, both from the contaigous excitement of Jinx and from the self deprecating humor of my situation. We ran across the tunnels, going up stairs and dashing across tunnels. We few short breaks and a meal break to let us catch our breath

The tunnels were long and winding but there was light at the end of the tunnel. As we ran towards the light, we could feel the breeze against our face. The fresh air filled our lungs as we finally stepped into the light. It was intoxicating

The roar of a passing airship greeted us as we arrived on the rooftop of one of the fake facades littering the futuristic city. Its majestic bulk floating in the sky in defiance of the law of aerodynamics along with a healthy helping of a lighter than air gas contained within its ballon

"Woah" Vi shouted as she watch the giant pass by

"It's… so beautiful" Jinx's eyes were glued to the city ahead, seeing its wonders for the very first time

Walking up ahead, I stretched my arms dramatically and presented one of the greatest sights in Runeterra. "Welcome to Piltover, The City of Progress"

There ahead of us, just across the balcony of the rooftop was the city of progress. Rows upon rows of neat little houses with falls of bleached white stone and red tiled roofs stretched as far as the eye could see. Gold and bronze metal glistened in the dying light of the sun as it slowly descended into the sea.

The cries of gulls and the hustle of bustle of the city below. People of all shapes and sizes roamed the clean and wide streets. The clothes of the people clothes immaculate and their smiles adding to the health glow of their faces.

Peering down, we saw kids running and laughing. They actually acted like kids, playing and living their lives. One of the kids saw us, a girl with bubble gum pink hair, and waved at us with a smile before she ran off to join her friends. Those kinds of smiles, those radiant smile and the lack of suspicion, fear and pain in their eyes made me envious at times

"Hey Vi, Jinx… one day, I'll give you the life we deserve. I promise we will have our happily ever after. One day" I held their hands as we watched the sun go down. Watching the evanescent beauty of the sunset bathing Piltover in red and gold

With the city of Piltover as my witness, I make my promise and I will fulfill it even if I die trying. I choose to live a life in pursuit of happiness and I will achieve that ever distant dream.

Act 1 Chapter 5
Scrapyard Angels Act 1 Chapter 5

Gardening is relaxing despite all the work you need to put into taking care of the plants. The scent of flowers filling my lungs was a rare and exquisite treat thanks to the industry of Zaun. You know things are bad when you have people buying the right to have a breather in a room filled with fresh air.

The humidity didn't bother me as much as the other kids while I tend to this part of the Cultivair. The Rainforest section of it as it was called with plants all the way from the jungles of Ixtal which was located in the eastern part of the continent of Shurima. The heat and a humidity was almost too much for most people to bear except for me and Tom

"So, you got anything to do tonight, Ark?" He asked as he hosed me down. The heat was oppressive and we had to constantly stay hydrated or hosed down but I think being here was worth it. It was peaceful and quiet except for Tom

"You know I have a part time job in the nearby school right?"

"I can wait"

"And I have sisters to take care of back at home"

"O-oh yeah…" He replied as he aimed the hose back at the plants

I had the distinct feeling that he was probably flirting at me at times but to busy at times and I just don't give a fuck. Still, it was annoying because I like girls a lot and I often get the attention of boys. The partial reflection on the clear glass pane reminded me of why.

Bright blue eyes with a mane of blonde hair that grow past shoulder length and a face devoid of the sharp angles of masculinity. Despite puberty hitting hard down below, I wasn't growing in height. I remained small, a pipsqueak of a boy who could be described as a handsome girl or maybe a pretty boy. I remained slender and lean with only the callus of hard work in the palm of my hand and the scars across my body serving as a break from the softness. Maybe cutting my hair could make me less girly but I loved my hair.

While we continued working, we soon heard the faint conversation of two adults coming closer.

"Act busy!" Tom hissed out as he whistled while watering the plants. I on the other hand just continued pulling at the weeds littering the garden.

"My experiment was ruined. Just when I was on the cusp of achieving greatness, my subject escaped!" Shouted the newcomer as he walked along with who may probably be the most important person in the Cultivair, its owner Madam Corazon Verasa. She was the aunt of my current employer.

"Yes yes, we've all heard you Singed. Just let it go Singed. Why do you insist on bringing it up all the time when all it ever did was waste your time?" Asked the small wiry woman who metaphorically owned
all the workers collective asses

"Maybe you're right, Corazon. I'd like to thank you again for this Corazon, getting these rare plants in Noxus would have been prohibitively expensive."

"You know you don't have to thank me for that. Besides, you're practically family. If not for you, one of my Nephews would succumbed to the Grey Pox"

I couldn't help but glance at their general direction, partly out of awe that the Mad Chemist and the boss of my boss was here and out of fear that I might fuck up infront of them. I shouldn't have done so as the deceptively young looking woman noticed my glance. If not for her stark white hair, I would have thought she was younger. As our eyes meet, I knew I was done for.

"You! Come here" commander the woman as she crossed her arms. Tom tried to come to my defense as he perked up and walked towards the chembaron but she was quick to clarify

"Not you! The blonde one! Yes you. Now hurry along now. I don't have all day" There was nothing else I could do but obey as I walked towards her

"Y-yes madam?" I was surprised I managed to keep the trembling of my voice to a minimum

"Are you the one my niece calls Ark?" She asked as her judging eyes scanned me from head to toe. I felt naked under her gaze, like it was an open book for her to judge and discer. Her oppressive stare was all to intense and made me look the other way

"I've heard great things about you from my niece. She said you were the smart one from the new batch of workers. Had to throw the last one out when they tried to collect some of my flowers" I didn't know if she meant it metaphorically or literally but at this point, I was too afraid to ask her

"Now be a dear and help Doctor Singed over here gather some plants . Don't be stingy about the flowers and plants he'll collect even if my niece told you otherwise"

"Yes ma'am!" I feared for my life and my job so I had to be at my very best "Come this way please"

"I'll leave you in the care of Ark over here. It's been quite sometime since I last saw my niece so let this old woman have her time with her favorite little buttercup"

"You're far too modest with yourself, Corazon. Why If you weren't married, I'd court you here and now" Two old people flirting. Cute but slightly horrifying considering who these two are

"Oh you charming rogue" Finally she left leaving me with one less thing to worry about.

I lead the way deeper inside the Rainforest. Compared to a real forest, it was far too quiet. There was no sound aside from the sound of the artificial stream running across the center of the enclosure as well as the sound of footsteps on the gravel path.

"So, is there any flower you're looking for, Doctor?" I asked as I looked back at the Mad Chemist. The controlled way he walks and the unblinking stare that greeted me made my heart skip a beat in fear. It was like staring at a wild animal who was barely held in place by the air of civility and intelligence that hang around him

"Mmm, I would like you to harvest these specific flowers" He replied as he listed a series of flowers that became more exotic and toxic. Datura and Castor Beans, to name a few of the mundane ones and that wasn't counting the magical plants that he required. "Also, Vanilla if you don't mind"

"We don't have any pods left" I was a bit perplexed at that little request. The owner of the Cultivair didn't let us in when they were attempting to pollinate the plants. Looks like they did the bee method as the flowers remained intact

"Drat. Oh well, we can't have everything"

Harvesting these plants was nerve wracking especially under the gaze of the esteemed chemist. I had to wear protective gloves and my respirator just to be sure I wouldn't inhale any poisonous fumes or pollen. With a basket in my hands, I went to work

It was a small mercy that the Doctor didn't want any small talk but it was unnerving feeling his gaze behind the back of my head. His dilated eyes observing me as I worked. Soon the basket filled up until the very last plant.

It was nicknamed the Darkins Cigar for its reddish purple flower shaped into a narrow cigar like shape. It wasn't something you wanted to stumble upon especially when it was already ripe else it will puff out a cloud of noxious gas that will kill you and make your body serve as the nursery for its seed, hence the name Darkin Cigar

As I reached out for the flower with scissors in hand, Singed reached out to stop me. His grip was unbelievably strong with the shakes one would find among the elderly. His hands were cold and almost devoid of warmth like the man himself.

"Let me handle this" I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding as he plucked the scissors from my hand and proceeded to harvest the plant himself. He cut it below the base of the flower at just the right spot so as to not have the sticky latex within the stem squirt out before quickly placing them in specially made vials filled with an oily liquid. His deft hand was a sight to behold especially with how quickly he moved.

"You have steady hands, a rarity among the citizens of Zaun." He then said as he pocketed the vial in his belt. "A steady hand and the spark of intelligence in your eyes, A rarity indeed."

"You were smart enough to fear me, knowledgeable enough to know who I am but also the plants you take care of, and obedient enough to override the fear you felt for me" I stood there frozen in fear, too afraid to reply

"I can see it in your eyes boy, don't deny it. You should be afraid. You're still ruled by your instincts but I have use for you. You see, I'll be moving to another city. A far less prosperous city but ken with more patrons to choose from and I find myself lacking assistants. There's only so many people worth taking in that could have the potential to be a competent chemist and I see that in you" His long gnarled finger jabbed into my chest as he loomed over me despite his hunched posture. His eyes lit with an intense fire that threatened to overwhelm me

"So what do you say. Will you like to be an assistant?" This offer, this offer was as insane as the man before me. It was mad, utter lunacy yet it was a way out, an easy way out of this hell hole. I could get out, I can live! Yet for all the opportunity this could afford me, my mind drifts somewhere else and to someplace closer to heart

"But what off my sisters? They're the only people I have" I asked with barely a whisper as my mind awhirl from the opportunity at hand

"What of them? Let me tell you something. Your relatives will only drag you down. Will you risk this opportunity just for them?"

Will I? For a second I doubted but I made up my mind. I hardened my heart and gazed up at the monster before

"No"

"No?"

"I made a promise to my family and I'll be a liar if I don't fulfill that promise"

There was a silence between us until he laughed. He laughed a deep belly laugh that was filled with amusement and joy. He laughed so hard that tears dripped down his eyes.

Wiping away at the tears, he "Then your a bigger fool than I thought"

"I know"

"And that's why you'll make it far in this world" I was confused

"You have the conviction that few people have. If you have accepted my offer, I would have chalked you as nothing more than a follower, a disposable patsy but you have some backbone in you

I still think your reason is foolish but I respect it."

Turning back, he walked leaving me bewildered by the turn of events. "Take heart young man and good luck"

I stood there watching his silhouette fade into the underbrush of the Rainforest. For a moment, I wondered why I felt so happy being praised by the madman but then I remembered he called me a boy. I knew the man committed a lot of atrocities but… he was ok if barely

Act 1 Chapter 6
Scrapyard Angels Act 1 Chapter 6

Magic in Runeterra is a fickle thing. Much like the Hextech and Chemtech that drives the city Piltover and Zaun forward, it is as much as an Art as it is a branch of Science if said branch of science was a convicted sexual offender who likes to toy with physics. Magic is almost like the expression of one's soul and everyone expresses it differently yet there are still enough commonalities between each type that a school or style of magic can be taught.

"You have now reached a level of competence that I deemed acceptable. Now, it's time to move forward. It's now time for you to shape your magic" She said as raw mana streamed between my hands in a constant flow.

"Now tell me why we need to shape our mana before we force our intent into our magic"

"It is so that we can have more mana available for our spells. In shaping our mana outside our bodies, we not only allow more mana for our spells but strength in our shots" One could compare the mana as the air in one's lungs. You can only blow so hard unless you can somehow store the air outside your body and release it in one go which is where one's will come in. One can visualize your will almost akin to a bubblegum which you blow on making it bigger until you pop it which is one big release.

"Good, it's always refreshing to see someone eagerly studying magic in earnest" Magic is basically reality warping, why would people not like studying it? "Now follow my hands and let your mana extend, let it flow out and guide it to a stable shape"

She clasped her hands before pulling them apart, the red mana which I had come to associate with her flowing out between her hands before she weaved it around in the air. It was like spider silk spreading across the air as she shaped it into a circle. "We will start with two dimensional shapes. Now I trust that you've studied enough on your own to do it without my guidance?"

I wasn't that prepared but I was confident enough to do it. Centering myself, I started weaving my spell. The stream parted yet the mana flowed continuously, sparkles streaming out from behind the wake of my hands as I tried to form the most basic of shapes. Slowly the stream lengthened, joining together once more as the two became once more and there in front of me was… the world's most crooked circle. Damn it

She sighed as she rubbed her temples "At Least you actually managed to do it in one try". Yes, it was something but it seems that I still have a long way to go.

I took the scenic route back home. The Entresol and the Sumps are still connected via roads but it was a long walk if you're not using those stage carriages or the lifts. I didn't felt like hanging on to my dear life in one of the carriages right now especially today especially when work today was rough. There was another thing as well

I wanted to go to the Black Lanes today. It was the go to market place for anything and everything down in the Sumps. From Rat Barbecue to Guns, the Black Lanes have everything. You only need to know where to find the seller though as some people don't take kindly to those kinds of ware and vigilante action is a huge thing down below.

There has been a recent uptick in every facet of Zaun's economy. Noxus was buying more and more raw materials and finished products causing a huge stream of wealth to go to the Economy. Everyone was earning more and If not for the regular meeting of the chem barons, the wages would have been higher.

While all this was going down, somewhere out there someones going to get fucked over by the Noxian warmachine. It wasn't quite happening yet as there are still no refugees coming through our city but you have to be deaf not to hear the rumors swirling about. Eh, you win some you lose some

Buying meals was easier now thanks to getting a raise and not even the rise in prices could make it even. Janna preserve me however for the Black Lanes stench was horrible.

With a pocket full of bronze washers and some silver cogs, I headed to the market ready to buy some stuff. Things however did not go to plan as I was soon confronted by Damon once more. His ugly nug only grew uglier with that angry black tattoo on his cheeks, still fresh from being applied to his face.

I got readg to bolt but this time he brought more friends along with him. He cut me off effectively on all routes. All of them had the same mark, the same tattoo. It looks like his father had pulled him in the business

I couldn't bolt now, There was no way out. I glanced towards the Vigilnaught standing guard over thr entrance of the market. I bit back a curse as he shrugged leaving me all on my own.

"We finally caught up to you Ark. Turning tail as if we're going to hurt ya? It breaks my heart my heart you know, didn't we used to be good friends?" He grinned wide while his posse's chuckled.

Glaring at the other taller boy, I replied "We're jot friends Damon. Not now, not ever. Who in their right mind tries to corner someone out on a walk?" I keep glancing around, trying in vain and hoping that somebody would help me but this was dog eat dog world after all

"Aw shucks, we're just trying to talk? Ya know, catch up and what not? You know, just like old times when I visit you in the orphanage my father guards" The omnious sound of pipes striking against the brick walls as if reminding me that they weren't just there for intimidation

"Just... Get on with it Damon. What do you want?"

"I've heard you got a job in the Cultivairs. You're now one of the bigs shots, the big earners among us big kids. Why don't we celebrate? Treat us to a meal and mybe we can get you in our little club right boys?" Their mocking laughter only got louder.

I've ran from then again and again back then. I was a hungry kid, a small fragile kid but I had had it with these kids. They want to play? Fine! Weeks of eating properly gave me enough strength to fight back. What's fourteen against one?

Fist came flying as I rushed Damon just as he was about to open his big fat mouth. With fist clenched tight I punched him straight below his sternum. Talking is not a free action and you can't fight back if you can't breath.

I could bob and weave out of Damons sloppy punches and kicks as I bounced on the balls of my feet but I was surrounded and I had no friends. I had to fight smart and I quickly pulled out my shiv. They however had their own and I was surrounded. While Damon tried to recover I lashed out once more.

Knife fights were an ugly thing. It was something one really wanted to avoid especially if you opponents had better armament. A kid cried out their as their arm was cut up real good before I had to dodge their strikes. It was like fighting a pack of rabid hyenas. I got some of them but they nipped and striked relentlessly until one of them got lucky. I felt the heavy weight of a pipe land against my arm making drop my knife

Without my weapon I started punching and kicking back. I rushed towards them, jumping at them and breaking noses. They tried to pull me off but all it dod was give me more targets. I was lucky that they only resorted to kicks instead of bashing my head in but that was a lovely thing.

It was my fist and my magic, my fist sparking as I dropped another kid with a well placed hook. I was winning until I wasnt as they pilled on top of me, holding me down as I ran out of mana. I could have fought them off if I wasnt running on fumes

They pulled me up by my hair making me howl and lifted me up. They held me tight as they started raining fist down at my stomach. It was only the fact that I had nothing in my stomach that time around that stopped me from puking my guts out. Oh boy did Damon look angry but the ugly bruise in his eyes and his broken teeth was worth a baby tooth and the throbbing pain in my feet.

"You think you're funny Ark? We were going to let you go but look at what you've done!" Yeah, a piece of art if I ever see one. Spitting on him completed the look

He aimed his punch straight at my face but all his fist met was my forehead as I leaned forward. I felt him rock me yet I laughed at the feeling of his stupid kid bones against the second hardest part of the human body. I was in cloud nine as he howled and jumped like a loon. Fucking idiot

"You know what! Fuck this, I would have been happy to just get your money but you've asked for thus" what's that sharp pointy object in his other hands?

Things were getting blurry but I still remembered one thing clearly afterward. It was the murderous look in Vi's face as she walked up behind Damon before shouting "Bitch says what?"

"Wha-?" Gottem. One punch and he simply dropped down like a sack of potatoes. It was a blur and by the time I sort came back, it was all over. I felt myself get up as a fresh gust of wind blew over the area.

Vi was there panting, covered with a bit of blood and a lot of forming bruises but the kids were running away and some bystanders were cheering.

"Let me help you" she said as she helped me back on my feet. Legs shaking and knees weak but I was doing ok. "Are you ok? How many fingers am I holding?" She asked as she held a finger up in front of me

"One and mostly ok. I feel like shit though. Damn it, I hate those kids"

"Good thing I punched a tooth out" she replied smugly as she knelt down as if trying to find something

"Must have hurt" The face isn't something one usually punch bare fisted

"What? Nah, also here's the tooth" there in his hand was a molar

"Are your bones made of steel? Also, eww, throw that away. You don't know where that thing has gone through. Who knows what they eat"

"..." She looked at the thing in disgust before throwing the thing away. She wiped her hands on my shirt. Damn it

"Thanks for saving me there Vi"

"Hey, what family is for right?"

"Yeah" I felt warm and fuzzy right now. Maybe I'm a bit concussed but it was still a nice feeling

"Sisters have to stick together" as she wrapped an arm around my shoulder before kissing me in the forehead. Heat rose up to my cheeks causing her to grin

"Brothers and sisters actually" I replied, making her look down at me. Now it was her turn to blush as heat rose up to her own cheeks before the pain came back

"No punching Vi! No punching!" The bruises I had could only grow bigger. Blocking will only gave me more bruises

"My first kiss with a boy and you stole it! Give it back!" She shouted as she turned a brilliant shade of red

"It's not how that works!" I shouted as I tried to evade her punches

"You're lying!"

"No I'm not! It's supposed to be lips to lips but having your first kiss would have been amazing! You know what? Here!" I shouted as I leaned forward and kissed her in the lips before I fled from the scene. It was a chaste kiss and I barely felt my lips graze hers but it was still a kiss and that kiss tastes like bubblegum

"Come back here Ark!" I could only laugh as I outran her. This is my life now and I have to say that I don't regret it. I might get broken bones but the memories I have of this will remain

Act 1 Chapter 7
Scrapyard Angels Act 1 Chapter 7

Getting a raise was always a lovely thing to experience. All the things you could buy as you move up in life. Better food, more comfort and better quality belts. Prices had been higher than usual thanks to what little trickled down but both Vi and I had more to spend.

We slept like kings tonight as after a week of saving we could finally afford a bed of our own. All three of us could sleep together in one large bed. It was just a large piece of fabric stuffed with extra scraps of cloth to make it a bit fluffier but it was our bed and for all intent and purpose the best bed there is. It was just a cheap imitation of what the Ionians used but it was a massive step up from what we had back then.

We all huddled together closely while we slept, taking comfort in the presence of each other. Our peace wouldn't last however as the earth shook

The whole of Zaun would find itself awake as the ground beneath them quaked. Dust fell from the ceiling above us as my family stirred from our sleep. While the cliffs may mutter from time to time, it's never to such a degree. The ground shook once more and this time it was accompanied by a deep boom.

The economic boom might be a boon but it can also be a curse. It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. When business is booming and competition is stiff, there's bound for skullduggery involved as people decides to be people

"Freaking economic sabotage" When there's money to be had, expect people to try 'free up the market'. It was free game after all, that is if you can get away with it without retaliation

Jinx whimpered as she pulled Whump close to her. Poor Whump looked like he was getting the life squeezed out of him but Whump did not complain as he gently pat Jinx's arm

"There there. There's nothing to be afraid of. You have big sis Vi and big brother Ark to protect you" Vi whispered as she scooted a bit closer to Jinx, wrapping her arms around her while the pop and crack of rifle shots could be heard echoing from outside the tunnels.

It was maddening how close it was and there's nothing we can do to stop the violence but I can at least distract my sister.

"Hey Jinx, wanna hear a story?" I asked, trying to get her attention. Slowly, she nodded while Vi gently combed her hair

"Is it about Amumu?"

"Well no but I think I have a better one. You're in for a treat because I remembered a story I once read about. It's a fantastical tale of a far away land and I think you'll live it" That got her attention as her eyes lit up in excitement. The wonder in her eyes showed me how she wanted to hear about it

I reminisce about the times before as I told them both a tale from an author with one memorable tale.

"In a hole in the ground, there lived a hobbit…"

-x-x-x-

Morning soon came and with the break of dawn came the end of the fighting. It was a long one, having lasted far longer than usual. Something major must have happened as there was a lot of destruction in one block

Factories were burnt to the ground but in the ashes comes opportunity. I didn't get to sleep that night but it was worth it as we were among the first in the burnt out ruins

"So how's work Vi?" I asked as I dug around the rubble, trying to find something of value.

"Been doing good… tiring but good. Grab that by the way" She replied as she dugged up some intact chemtech parts. She was the expert when it comes to getting stuff in the rubble as she worked in a chemtech shop.

Jinx joined in our dig as well. We didn't want to leave her alone especially when things are getting charged in the streets. It was getting worrisome having to leave her in our hideout and we could use some extra hand

"Hey Ark, I've been thinking…" Vi asked as she tossed a half burnt but still working gauge in the useful pile

"About the kiss?"

"Shut up you dork… it's not like its that good" Heat rising up her cheeks as she refrained from punching me

"But you still think it's good?" I smirked. Keeping things light hearted kept things from going to crazy

She threw up her arms before patting her cheeks. "Argh, let me finish ok?"

Looking over to the Jinx to check if she wasn't in earshot, she told me what she had in mind

"So I've been getting some offer for a job… but" That got my eyebrow raising "Well, you see it's in a gang and while we try to get legitimate jobs so we don't get Jinx tangled in the gangs but I think this could really help out"

She paused for a bit, taking a breather before continuing. "And it's not what you think. Nothing major but they do say they appreciate my leg breaking but I'm not that dumb to fall for that. I just wanted their first job offer"

Getting tangled in gangs wasn't something one would want to have. It's usually for life for better or for worse because people might know a bit too much but there were some jobs that were almost worth it

"...What's the job?" I asked

"Just a courier, part time nothing too major. I don't even need to get a tattoo since tattoos make you easy to spot!"

I grimaced. "I don't know… I promised you that I'll get you both a better life and getting tangled with them can make it hard" Piltover did not take lightly to those who associate lawbreakers even if those crimes happen in Zaun

"And I wanted that too but this could help us! Make it easier for all of us. Can you trust me?"

Vi for all her knucklehead antics and her lack of interest in big numbers wasn't a fool. This was a risk but the rewards could be big

"I… I trust you"

"I promise you, you won't regret this!" Before I could reply however, our attention was called on by Jinx

"Guys! I found something" She half shouted and half whispered over the silence in the ruins as to not call in too much attention

We packed up our things and headed over to where she was jumping up and down in excitement. There in front of her was a box. It wasn't an ordinary box however as there were ornate markings over it and not even the soot tarnished its beauty

"'Can keep it?" Jinx asked as she tried to fiddle with i

"Did you find any key?" I asked as I tried to find any mechanism on it. I regretted not learning how to break open a lock. I could have learned in a few minutes if I had just watched it back then

"Nuh uh. Just this pretty box" Jinx replied as she lifted it up near her ears and shook it

"Well it's just a pretty box if we don't have the key so sure?" Vi replied a bit disappointed that we couldn't sell it but Jinx was too happy for it

"I'm going to call you Mister Sparkles!" Jinx hugged the ornate box close to her chest.

"Hmmm, it's not exactly just a pretty box because I know of someone who might just know how to open it and probably wouldn't try to rip us off if it turns out it has something valuable inside" I only know of one person like that down here in Zaun

"Who?" Vi asked

"Well, are you familiar with Inventor Bob?"

-x-x-x-

Getting to his place wasn't exactly a walk in the park. The various twists and turns makes it an out of the way shop that one must really go to

"Are you sure this person's trustworthy?" Vi asked as I pulled her to the side as that errant steam vent that isn't quite fixed yet blew its top again. One of these days, it'll burn someone's right cheek off. Helping her adjust her sack, we continued onwards

Jinx wasn't too far behind us and she made sure to follow our step. She hummed happily as she lugged her own sack behind her.

"Yeah. He took care of me when I got sick when I was really young. He could have easily sold me off to Noxus or some farm in Demacia but he lectured me and everything when I got back on my feet. I owe him a lot"

"Sounds quite the guy"

"He is."

Before long, we soon reached his shop. Not only was it a place to drop off scrap but also it was Bob's workshop for clockwork and chemtech.

I wish I could have apprenticed under him but I didn't have the time. He also already had an apprenta and most of his stuff was family secret passed down from family member to family member.

Entering the shop, we were greeted by the various parts of steam golems, tubings and clock work gear littering the shop

"Before we go to his shop, just remember he's a nice guy. Don't be afraid of him"

"Scared? Why would I be scared… of him" Vi trailed off as she looked up and up until she saw Bob's face.

"Welcome" Bob rumbled out as he stared down Vi

"Hi Bob" Bob wasn't really the nicest looking guy. He's a mountain of a man with more gears than a steam golem imbeded into his body. The prosthetics he has is quite extensive and many would be taken aback by it especially when half his face was machinery and tubing. He also sported a look akin to that of a bear "And cut it it it out Bob, please don't haze my family"

His demeanor changed as he smiled. His jolly disposition was quite the contrast to the look that he could level people. "Family! You have a wife now?" He jokingly asked as he pulled us all into a great big bear hug

Vi squeaked out while Jinx yipped in surprise. Meanwhile I just sighed out with a weary smile. "While I would love to, we're more family family rather than that Bob"

"It's a big shame then because you three are perfect for each other. As they say in Demacian, ménage à trois.". Vi and I blushed heavily while Jinx only giggled

"I forgot the word for that in Shuriman but there is that word in an Ionian dialect which says-"

"We get it, we get it, now put us down!" I shouted, trying to escape from the indignity that Bob put us through

"You young ones are no fun" Bob complained as he finally placed us down.

"So, what's the occasion? You haven't been sumping in a while now… unless you lost your job?"

"No, nothing of that sort. We just found something and we want you to help us open it. Jinx?" I glanced towards Jinx asking for her to show the box

Jinx nodded as she reached into her sack and pulled out the box

Bob frowned as he knelt down and inspected the box. "Where did you get this? Did you find this above because I ask you to throw it away before they find you!" He shouted in fear which had me all confused

"What? No, we found it in the rubbles of a burnt out factory"

He visibly sagged in relief. "Ah, a dead chem baron then. Lucky you" he replied as his smile returned

"Well, why don't you come with me to the back room so we can crack this box open" We followed him in and I wondered what we might find inside. Such an ornate box should hold something important right?

Thanks for the chapter. There so few LOL stories and seeing another one that seems promising is making me happy. If anyone is wondering about the other one it is about a Renekton SI that is %80 memes. Anyway hope to see more chapters and thanks again for writing.

Interlude 1
Interlude 1

Being the main taker of a proper Cultivair was a hard job. The things one must do to ensure the proper operation of the gardens below is enormous. It almost makes the view of the multicolored garden from above not worth it.

"So Missy, how's the job treating you?" asked my great aunt as she sat across from me. Despite being blood related to the great chembaron, I couldn't help but feel like I needed the great mahogany table between us as a shield from her.

"It's been lovely Auntie. There had been some setbacks in the Vanilla production but we're stuck with just using bees.

Vanilla remains… resistant to any alchemical means to make it bloom and produce pods"

She waved off my concerns. "No matter, it's merely an experimental procedure we've borrowed from a rival family.

We'll find a way to pollinate them eventually. That or we can just wait for them to trip"

She would know considering how ancient she was. It wasn't an exaggeration to call her someone who came before hextech became popular

"Now this boy you've talked about. A pretty little thing if a bit slow. Had him escort Singed" my Aunt replied which made my blood run cold

"You know the mans mad. He'd kill his own apprenta without a second thought if they make too many mistakes and he doesn't care about politics. We owe him so we can't exactly touch him!"

"Oh don't worry, Singed was actually happy with the encounter." I sighed in relief. Garden hands in Zaun were hard to comeby

"His background doesn't add up but he's the best garden hand I had in a while." I replied as I pulled out a file from my desk and placed it above the table. It was a pretty hefty folder considering how many contradictions the boy had

"Human resources had a field day trying to make sense of the kid. His background check needed a lot of work done

Name, Ark. Real name, Mark of Baker Street Orphanage. Born and raised in the Zaunite Sump's yet have a strange aptitude for plants. Is literate… in New Piltie but for some reason unable to read Zaunite at anything other than basic level. Prefers the heat of the Rainforest Biome despite it being far hotter than what Piltover or Zaun can ever hope to experience or what most citizens would dare try to experience. We are pretty sure he doesn't have Ixtal blood on him considering he's as pale as any Zaunite and the golden blonde hair.

He doesn't make sense. He could have been a spy but a spy would at least know to tone down the skills they possess and be a bit more vulgar but he doesn't curse explicitly. He's also far too honest for a Sump snipe that is"

My aunt laughed as she replied "He does sound like a handful but maybe you're overthinking it."

"Maybe, but best to have him watched"

"Good girl"

Slowly, the old matriarch stood up from her chair. Despite her diminutive stature, she carries herself with the poise and grace of someone much younger than she was.

"Give me a copy of his file, I'll have a read on this boy back at home. His file might just be a fun read if nothing else" Her aunt commanded before I gave her a copy. I had a distinct feeling that that kid will be more of a headache in the future. Auntie does have an eye for the strange and unusual.

A/N

You thought I was a reply but its me! An interlude!

Nice story I've never read a league of legends before
Well I hope my story remains reader friendly even as I delve deeper into some lore stuff later on
Thanks for the chapter. There so few LOL stories and seeing another one that seems promising is making me happy. If anyone is wondering about the other one it is about a Renekton SI that is %80 memes. Anyway hope to see more chapters and thanks again for writing.

I do love that story. Glad you like mine even if I still consider the Renekton Author to be better at me.

Youcannot cutt off on a cliffhanger like this.....

Dont worry, I post likw every 2 or 3 days depending if I get to sleep properly.

Act 1 Chapter 8
Scrapyard Angels Act 1 Chapter 8

Bob's workshop was a cozy little place albeit a cramped one and Bob's huge bulk of muscle and large gut made it even more so. Space was premium when one's house was barely a hole in a wall without a second floor and situated just beside a dump. There inside we'll meet Bob's daughter and apprenta.

For a half man half machine, Bob still found the love of his life and to think he'll have such a lovely daughter. She took more from her mother with her short stature which was absolutely dwarfed by her father yet she still had the same smile that Bob had.

She gave us a friendly wave as we got in. Her sunny disposition and bubbly smile was always a welcome sight "Dad! Ark! And… company"

Bob hugged his daughter and ruffled her straw blonde hair. "Cindy! My little sunflower, how's my little girl doing?"

"Dad! it's been barely a minute since you went out!" She shouted as she tried to pull away from her fathers grip. There's no escaping it Cindy, you should have already known that considering you live with him

"But for me, it was an eternity" Bob replied as he nuzzled against his daughter who huffed in irritation but returned the affection nonetheless

"Ahh yes, silly me, I forgot to introduce myself!" Bob shouted as he lifted his daughter up his shoulder "I am Bob the Inventor! Philanthropist, Polymath, and Proud Father to the smartest girl in Zaun!"

"And I'm Cindy, his Chemtech Apprenta!" Piped up Cindy as she leaned against her fathers head

"Cindy! What's with that introduction! You have to give it more personality, more bravado! Even Ark makes better introductions than you!"

"But I like it Targonian!"

"Bah! They don't speak that much because their minds cooked from all the muscle they have and from sun they worship"

Before their little conversation could devolve even further, I decided to speak up. "So Vi, Jinx it's our turn now right?"

"U-uh right!" Replied Vi as she was a bit dumbfounded by the antics of the father daughter duo. Jinx meanwhile was looking at them curiously

Clearing her throat, she started off "I'm Vi"

"And I'm Jinx!" Added Jinx before things descended into silence. Cindy looked smug at their introduction while Bob looked at me in betrayal.

I sighed as I gestured for them to go on but Vi didn't have anything to say as she looked at me before looking over at the duo.

Jinx however decided to be an angel and speak up "And together with our brother Ark, we are... the lovely Angels of the Scrapyard!". Jinx slowly shrunk back into herself as she chuckled nervously but in that moment she was radiant

Bob agreed with me as he clapped enthusiastically. "Bravo, could use some work but you've clearly been taught by your brother well"

Cindy dropped down from her perch and walked close to Jinx, circling my sister as if inspecting her

"Before we forget what we came here for…" I reminded Bob

"Ah yes the box! This shouldn't take long"

"Dad! I'm taking Jinx out to the back!" Shouted Cindy as she suddenly grabbed a confused Jinx out of the room. Jinx didn't stood a chance and despite being about the same height, Cindy had a bit more muscle on her

"I'm going to teach you how to make bombs Jinx! You and I are blowing stuff up! We're going to have so much fun"

"I'll… keep an eye on them" Vi said as she ran after the two before they could get themselves seriously hurt.

"Interesting family you have now hmm?" Asked Bobl as he inspected the Box.

"Yes, I met them by chance and now here we are. As thick as thieves and together forever" I replied as I sat down on one of the chairs in the shop. "By the way Bob, can you keep the box intact? Jinx really like that box"

Bob nodded as he began working on the box. It was a simple lock and key design with some clockwork worked in to make it a bit more complicated. It wouldn't phase Bob much on the other hand as he had all the tools of the trade to open it. A click here and some fiddling with the wires he used to unlock the mechanism there and the box clicked opened. There was a slight hiss and the cranking of a tiny gears before the top of the chest opened slightly ajar

Before I opened the box however, "So about the payment…"

"No need, consider it in the house. Besides, your sister made my daughter smile which is the most precious thing in the world for me" Bob replied as he pushed the Box towards me

I nodded before I reached for the box. Grabbing the top, I pulled it open to reveal a soft blue light from within. There nestled inside soft silk was a pair of pale blue crystal the size of golf balls. The inner fire of magic burning inside was unmistakable.

Reaching down, I picked one up between my fingers and marveled at the lustrous orb in all its glory. The soft pulse of light from the crystal felt like it was a beating heart whose power was just waiting to be tapped. There was no denying what it

"A hextech crystal" whispered Bob as he reached down for a box down below. It was a dusty thing and barely a scratch on its metallic surface when he placed it down on the desk with a thud. Dusting it off, he opened it to reveal a set of magnifying glasses and various other tools.

"May I?" He asked. It was almost painful letting such a precious material off my hand but this was Bob. I handed him the crystal so he could take his measurement of it

"Has some heft to it and the clarity is something else. The grade of this natural crystal alone is top notch. Are you sure you didn't find this uppside?" He asked as he took note of the various properties of the crystal

"We found it among the rubbles of the chemtech factory near our home"

"Hmm, good thing that chembaron is really dead. Just heard the news earlier. He tried to sabotage his competition, rivals discovered it and the other chem barons descended upon him like a flock of vultures.

You know how they are, just a bunch of beasts hiding behind a facade of civility while looking for any chance to give their rivals hell. May the Lamb deny them a peaceful end and Wolf to take them" He replied before he placed the crystal back in the box and handed it over to me

"About the payment…" The crystals were priceless. My eyes locked on the pair of gems. Greed reared its ugly head in the back of my mind but it… didn't felt right to take advantage of Bob when he could help him as well. One gem alone could change a families fortune after all

"Finders keepers. It's your families property" he replied making me look up

"But there's a pair here-!" He raised up his hand to stop me

"Ark, this thing can literally change your life. Take it and use it. My family dont need it, no seriously, why do you think I pay your kids a fair price? You think I live here in this dingy little place? I can't call myself a philanthropist if i take one of those gems from you

Also, I don't even know how to work them! You on the other hand just might in the future" Leaning close, he tapped my forehead with his fingers

"That thing inside there can work wonders. I know you can find a way to learn how to make use of these crystals"

"Can I atleast buy a key from you?" He paused for a bit before he started laughing. I soon joined in as with the man's bellowing laugh. I couldn't help myself

Our touching moment was suddenly cut short however when the shop was rocked by an explosion. We both cursed as we felt the tell tale sound of a bomb and the happy shouts of an overly eager pyromaniac echoed from behind the shop.

"Close the box. I'll make you a key later. For now, we need to check on the girls"

"Lets"

Dropping the crystals inside the box, we hid it inside a hidden panel before we rushed out to face the anarchy that was led by Cindy

I expected to find Jinx crying but there she was shouting happily with Cindy as they stood on top of a makeshift cannon while was Vi forced to lug around the chems used to power the device

"What in Janna's divine name happened here!" Shouted Bob as he looked at the destruction they wrought upon the various trash mountains in the dump

"We made Smaug and he rules!" Shouted Jinx as he tapped the makeshift canon beneath them

"When I grow up I'll take Jinx as my apprenta!" Shouted Cindy as shegace her partner in crime a high five

I looked over at Vi. Vi merely shrugged as she replied "They knew what they were doing"

I facepalmed, rubbing my face with the palm of my hands "You said you were going to look after them!"

"Yeah and they're perfectly safe!"

There was a huge fwoom as the cannon started spitting out alchemical fire as well. The two pyromaniacs squealed happily in the background all the while Bob was trying to reason with them

"See? Perfectly safe" she replied with a cheeky grin. All I could do was groan as the fire kept spewing from the cannon

It took a while but we managed to extinguish the fires. We also dismantled Smaug which resulted in much complaining from the duo. Without the distraction and the possible dangers of their experimental cannon exploding, he was finally able to make a key for our box

Soon, it was time to go. "Take care!" Called out Bob as he watched as qe walked back home

"Ark! Jinx! Vi! Come back when you can!" Shouted Cindy as she waved at her new friends. I was glad that both my sisters and Cindy got along well

While we walked back home, Vi asked "So what's in the box? We were kinda busy destroying stuff"

"Yeah, Mr Sparkles seems like an important box" Jinx added

"Well… it's best that I show it to you away from prying eyes" Not everyone in Zaun can be just like Bob and Alice. In a place as ruthless as Zaun, I was lucky to find a group of people I could trust with all my heart

Act 1 Chapter 9
Scrapyard Angels Act 1 Chapter 9

Machines can often come as miraculous things when you take a look at them. You know why they work but the how is entirely lost to you. You might see a phone and knows it runs on computing and electricity but how does it exactly work. You can't simply take a device and replicate it if you havent studies about it

This was exactly what I felt when I looked down on the crystal before us. It glowed but that was all it could do for us.To own a Hextech crystal was one thing, but to use it was an entirely different matter. Much like Chemtech and various other arts, it's not exactly something you learn unless you're exposed to it.

"I don't think we can use this. Should we sell it?" Vi asked as she took one of the crystals from the box in front of us.

"Well… we can sell it… but just imagine the cool stuff we could make now that we have a crystal to work with!" Jinx was the ever optimist among us with it

"Do any of us know how to use this?" I asked. It was completely out of my depth. My plan was supposed to be to learn how to read and do magic in the elementary before shifting jobs to the university if a part time custodian job opens up and then learn some hextech from observation and maybe reading some of the books written in the Zaunite text. The Hextech crystal was supposed to come after that

"I just hand tools in the Chemtech shop I work in" and Chemtech was as similar to Hextech as Dieselpunk is to Atompunk. They might have the same concept but far different ways

"So… we can't make Zap guns?" As much as I want to Jinx…

"Well… we can't right now but I think I can learn how to do it. Teaching you would be the easy part afterwards"

"What can we do with it now then?"

I hummed for a bit, thinking of how the device used to measure my magic worked. I could feel some resistance around the shell while it felt like all my magic was going to the crystal inside it so…

Grabbing one of the gems, I pushed my magic into it. The effect was immediate when the crystal flared brightly, momentarily blinding us. All it did was shine brightly and there was the lack of ozone in the air to tell me that I didn't miss anything else

"Damn it Ark! Warn us next time!" Vi rubbed her eyes as she tried to blink the black spots in her vision

Jinx on the other hand blinked before looking at the crystal intently.

"Jinx, Vi, I was going to try and teach you how to do magic once I got the basics done but we could do the first step now" I was reluctant to teach them magic as it was akin to teaching someone how to use a gun while still learning how to use a gun. Feasible but irresponsible

Gently grabbing Jinx's hand, I placed the crystal on her palm before holding her hands between my own. Her hands felt warm to the touch. They no longer felt bon to the touch

"Your hands feels tingly" Jinx says as she held onto the crystal

"Now, I want you to feel what I'm about to do. If I'm correct, you should be able to feel this" Much more slowly this time around, I pushed my magic towards the crystal. Vi leaned closer as she watched her sister do something utterly magical

"Is it supposed to feel like something's flowing?" Jinx asked as the crystal glowed ever so softly, growing brighter and pulsing, as her eyes widened in wonder

"Yes, it's like something you always felt before right? Like you always know that's there like breathing or your heartbeat? Now, I want you to hold on to that feeling and let it flow. Just follow what I was doing with the crystal ok?"

Jinx nodded as she stuck out her tongue and concentrated at the crystal in her hands. Slowly I pulled away from her hand and the glow dimmed.

"No!" Jinx's face scrunched up as she tried to hold on to it. It pulsed, beating faster until it grew brightly once more. It wasn't blinding but the color changed ever slightly towards Jinx's color.

Vi pulled Jinx into a hug as she shouted "My sister's going to be a mage!"

"But I want to be a Hextech Mechanic!" Whined the girl as she now looked at the crystal in betrayal

"You can always be both you know" As much as Hextech can help those who didn't have the mana pool to fuel magical spells, it can still be used to enhance what's already there

Jinx was grinning ear to ear at that little fact. Now it was Vi's turn

"Now do me!"

"Gladly~"

"Not like that y-you dolt!" It was always fun to tease her now and then. She was making it too easy

"Fine. Now, let's do this"

Doing it a second time was a bit easier now. This time around however, it didnt grow that brightly. It barely blinked at all but at least it did have a pinkish tinge to it.

Vi looked a bit crestfallen that the crystal she held wasn't glowing as brightly as ours. "Well, it did felt like I didn't have any magic in me"

"You do have magic, albeit only a little. You can one use one spell though"

"One spell?"

Grabbing her hand, I lifted them up for all of us to see. "You can cast fist!"

That broke her out of her melancholy as she guffawed at my little joke. "I do cast a lot of fist alright"

"And break noses"

"And break noses" She rolled her eyes but smiled nonetheless

"And protect us with it"

"Off course it's going to protect both of you"

"And give me kisses"

"And give you-!" I winced as I got punched once again.

"Almost!" I snapped my fingers at the missed opportunity.

"Get a room, you two!" Jinx shouted as she covered her face. I laughed as we continued our banter with Jinx soon joining in as well. Life here down in the Sumps isn't that bad if you have something or someone to live for.

-x-x-x-

Learning a new language is always a pain, especially when it involves new letters. Thankfully it wasn't that different from English when it comes to writing it down. They do have some novel letters here and there like the thorn but they were few and far inbetween. Zaunite is quite removed from Piltovan so there were some quirks here and there

Reading had always been my passion and the few times I had the library to myself was always fun when I could read in peace.

Shaping mana with my left hand, I read one of the kids books inside the library. "Anivia grew annoyed at her brother Ornn for felling her favorite tree when he decided to make a house…" I wrote down as I read, using the chalk I bought on one of the slates in the library. The crooked lines I made as pressed down on the slate with my chalk was barely legible at best

I had a book on language that compared Zaunite to the New Piltovan, a script that was becoming more common, beside me while I read the Freljordian myth. Without it, I would have been lost. I was about to erase my slate clean when a hand grab my wrist

"Hmmm, whoever taught you how to read and write must either be the cruelest teacher there is or just simply a misguided fool" Spoke the Principal as she took my slate and inspected it.

"I thought it was strange you never touched the older books but now I see why" Sitting down, she returned the slate back to me. Her eyes locked on the wavering circle I was making with one hand.

"It seems that you're doing well enough in your magical practice so let's see if I can teach you how to read and write properly. Your wasting too much chalk with how you write right now"

I looked down, not really liking criticism yet it was something that was needed. I needed to improve, always.

It was a bit weird having the principal taught me personally but maybe it was because she was bored? Who knows what goes on in her mind. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth after all and what not.

"Tell me Mr Ark, Why do you insist on working? Why work yourself down to the bone?"

"I could probably lie to you Ms Irine"

"You could but I feel like you can be a bit candid at times"

I paused for a bit, wondering what I would say before speaking my mind. "It's all part of my stupid plan Ms Irine"

"Hmm?"

"Yes, an elaborate plan to climb up the ladder that is life. It probably wouldn't work but at least it's something Miss Irine"

"Humor me then Mr Ark. Tell me about this plan"

"Ehh sure…" and so there I sat telling my plan on how to succeed. I kept things short and sweet to make it easy for myself. It all boiled down to a list. First is learning how to read and do magic, then get hired in the College of Techmaturgy. Eavesdrop on lectures in the college and maybe read some of their books in secret before trying out on their entrance exam to one of their scholarship programs.

"It's not exactly a half bad plan, if a bit half baked. You can certainly learn enough from eavesdropping and reading but you just one have glaring problem" She had me erase my slate and had me write what she was to say down

"You don't have a sponsor. As much as the College tout their meritocracy, they're still inherently nepotistic like much of Zaun. You might pass but you can easily get bumped out of the list if someone with a sponsor needed a slot. Your simply not well connected" Isn't that quite a cold bath to remind me of reality.

"It's not exactly impossible but you really must excel to the point they simply can't ignore you" There was a slim chance then. I was pretty confident in my odds then

"Well it's time for the school to close for the night. You've been an adequate student as always. Now let's clean this place up"

Returning the books allowed me to think of another option to really get in. It was still a far off thing for the future. I still had plenty of time to catch the eye of someone. Who that maybe remains a mystery but that was for future me to decide.

Gonna get Singed as a sponsor I bet. Or perhaps that Flower shop peeps. Definitely going to be interesting to see how this all goes to hell from either Twitch, Urgot, Victor, Jayce, and the twenty other possible people could who come along and fuck up his plans.

Act 1 Chapter 10
Scrapyard Angels Act 1 Chapter 10

The dump was the best place to find broken hextech and chemtech in Zaun. There were various dumps all around Zaun thanks to non-existent health and environmental law. It's toxic, it's dangerous, and very deadly if you don't know what you're doing but you can find a lot of the things there. I'm not looking for something to sell however but looking for any pieces of tech to work on be they Hectech or Chemtech

The Northside Heap was the best place to find stuff due to its close proximity to the University of Piltover. It's where students' failed inventions come to die. Gears and scraps of all manners are dumped regularly on the massive pile of metal. A

The sound of metal crunching under the boots of stilt walkers as they wade through the toxic pools where few dare to go could be heard even from above the heap. There above I scavenged with Jinx beside me.

Vi's new job had an erratic schedule but the pay was just too good to stop now so here I was helping Jinx learn more about sump scrapping.

The heavy boots and thick gloves helped guard our hands from the sharp edges of the sometimes twisted metals of the dump. So far it was just all scrap metal and that meant I had to deal with a bored Jinx

"Have you found anything yet?" Jinx asked as she dug in deeper into her spot.

"No" It was the 42nd time and it was just as frustrating as the last time.

"But it's been hours and we haven't found anything!"

"We found a lot of copper coils?"

"But that's so boring! Where is the cool stuff?"

"We just have to be a bit patient Jinx"

"Have you found anything yet?"

"Yeeaahhhh… no"

"Awwww"

I was sorely tempted to just call it a day when he heard the klaxons of the steam Golems that haul a new set of garbage into the pile.

Jinx got up quick and made a mad dash for the fresh pile.

"Dang it Jinx! Don't run!"

"But the other kids will get the better stuff!" Shouted my little sister as I tried my best to run after her. Out of the corner of my eyes, I could see the other kids making a mad dash for it as well

The girl had the nimbleness of a cat as she jumped and skipped along the various jutting trash along her path. She was determined to get there first. It was like watching a rabbit sprinting across a field filled with sharp knives.

"You'll get yourself hurt!"

"I'm invincible!"

By the time I caught up to her, she was already elbow deep in the pile. I had to push and elbow the other kids that got aggressive when scrapping

The fresh pile of junk was dirty and the owners of the trash sure as hell don't know how to segregate trash with the broken shards of glass and rusted bird cages mixed in but digging through the pile was well worth it.

"Got one!" There in Jinx's hand was a half broken clockwork toy owl with its chest ripped out. All trash was harvested before they even got down below but they often leave stuff they deem to be no longer salvageable. Their lost however as there was plenty of stuff for us to to harvest

I reached in deep and found a handle to grab on to. It was a smooth ring that didn't feel like normal scrap which were often twisted and distorted from the great heat that often accompanies their failure. Gripping it tightly, I pulled back my hand and out came an open hextech lamp. Its gilded cage and the empty socket inside was unmistakable

"It's intact!" It lacked the core but it didn't matter as we finally had something intact.

We found more parts after that, various spares parts and gears that could help us. We even found half a wing of something. It was quite a haul and both of us had to get it back to our home.

We had to hurry up as I felt eyes upon us. It wasn't just my imagination however as there had been more gangs present. "Security" had been ramped up recently and people had been rather jumpy after the death and disgrace of one of the chembarons.

I looked away as one shop owner got accosted by these thugs for "rent". I looked ahead ignoring the commotion before guiding our loot into one of the many entrances to the service tunnel

Our little hole in the wall was thankfully undisturbed by the time we got back. The new furniture we bought really brightened the place up. The boxes I used back as furniture ended up being storage boxes for our scraps.

"Jinx, its best you bath first"

"But I don't want to take a bath! Why don't you go first!"

"I still have to sort our stuff"

"I can do it!"

"Nope! You'll just mix it up like last time"

"It was one time and my system was obviously better!"

"I had my system and you messed it up!"

Jinx screamed out and stomped her feet but I would not budge. We stared at each other but she was the one that gave in first

I dragged our loot to the boxes and started sorting them while Jinx went to get herself clean. Having a regular source of soap helped a lot in keeping ourselves clean especially when we had lubricants and oils leaked from every which part we found. Sure it was more of sponge bath and a rinse but it was a bath

It wasn't even five minutes before Jinx came back. "Done~!"

I gave her a flat look and found her wanting as she didn't wash her hair. "Oh no we're not. We need to get your hair washed"

"But it's so hard to wash!"

"There's a reason why Vi and Cindy have short hair!"

I sat up and set aside my work for now as I dragged Jinx back to the faucet to get her properly cleaned up. I just had to wash her hair. Getting her to wash seriously without getting wet myself was next to impossible when she tries to take shortcuts in everything

Thankfully Vi came back soon enough. She was dead on her feet but even then she helped me out with our sister. She was far better in getting Jinx to do stuff than I was.

"Works tough?"

"Yeah, I had to run more than I planned today." Vi plopped down on one of our chairs after we got Jinx properly cleaned up

"No trouble at work?"

"You worry too much Ark. Yeah sure there's some fighting in the streets but I just carry letters and stuff."

"If you say so. Say… where do you usually deliver your message?"

"Well I get the message usually from this place which I think is their hideout in our area…"

Our conversation lasted a bit longer until it was time to sleep. I tucked both of them in before heading outside with a box of choice scraps. Working with the crystal inside our little home would make it hard for them to sleep so I opted to just do it outside

I burnt through the midnight oil working with the machines. Fitting the crystal in the tiny undersized sockets to see how some of the scrap works. The human bracken is back!

It's so weird though. Why can you be compatible with me?

For some reason, the crystal's light dimmed when I didn't touch them. I could feel a slight draw from the crystal as I kept working but nothing too draining. I feel so weak inside the device but being connected to him makes me strong!

Is he supposed to be my successor? Did I die? I haven't even had my namestone yet!

For a fuel source they sure don't feel like the best way to fuel devices. Needing contact for the best result is something you can work around with but why do some of these devices feel like they had their crystal inside them rather than outside? Am I a namestone now? Does that mean I need to pass on my dreams to this person?

No matter. I only need to learn the basics. How can I run if I don't know how to walk after all? You seems fun though so I wouldn't mind having you as my partner

For now, I leave it for future me to figure out. I soon joined my sisters in bed. My eyes felt heavy and my body felt like lead and only the comforting pulse of magic from our crystal made the weariness lighter on my body. All I could think of now was to sleep. Slowly my eyes closed and that night I dreamt of crystals. Even if you can't hear me right now, I'm sure we're going to have lots of fun together. We're now soul buddies, All three of us

-x-x-x-

I slept peacefully that night despite the dream I had. It was a weird dream but I didn't dwell on it too much as I concentrated on the new task ahead.

"Today we'll move on from simple circles to far more complex shapes" Miss Irine slowly coaxed the circle in her hands to change shape. The circle of mana bulged from the center, becoming rounded as if filled with mana from within.

"Many practitioners would often skip this stage and go straight to slinging spells citing it's simply the same thing but they're the same as the fools who skipped channeling mana all together and just cast with intent" She went on tangent abit but thankfully we went back to teaching

"This is a bit more complicated so I need to have you do it with two hands. Now, simply channel like before but imagine pulling at it with the connection you have and filling the space within."

Holding my hands together I weave my spell, pulling the disc while letting more mana in the shape. The center of the disc as the disc spun parallel against my palm. It felt like holding a balloon that was being deformed from within. The roiling mana from within spun in unison with the shell

It warbled and bubbled yet it stayed in its shape for now as it steadily became brighter but not overwhelmingly so. Miss Irine nodded as she inspected the little ball of light I made

"You could work a bit better… but you did well Mister Ark" For he had praised me. It felt… good.

"We're fast approaching your last lesson Mr Ark. After a few more lessons, I will have nothing to teach you"

This was just a temporary job after all and all we agreed upon was the absolute basics. More complex spells were a thing that either masters worked on and passed on to their apprentice or their personal work. There were books of spells but they were expensive. On the day our lesson ended, I will be on my own.

The glowing sphere between my hands all but answered any doubt that our lessons were about to end. I would no longer have someone to guide me yet I feel I've learned enough. I now have the foundations to experiment on my own and from there maybe I'll do something great

A/N:

There's invisitext by the way there. I tried working with it and hopefully its not too vague or overly mysterious. Now what this means? Heh, I'll leave you guys guessing but its something for the future so dont dwell on it too much.

So its time for me to take a break. See ya guys in 3-5 days. Dont worry, I'll work on the next chapter as soon as I can.

Act 1 Chapter 11
Scrapyard Angels Act 1 Chapter 11

The first thing I ever made with our new found Hextech crystal was a belt of all things. It was probably the most Zaunite thing I ever made but it was tiring having to touch the crystal constantly so I had it physically strapped to me. The length of the belt could be swapped out so I can use it to hold up any piece of clothing

Belts are extremely useful. Why, I wear no less than seven at a time. I had two belts on my waist and 2 belts on each leg to hold up my knee length socks and boots in place and one belt around my wrist. Those who don't know how useful belts are clearly haven't experienced having to strap things together or having something to hold objects on. It wasn't merely a fashion statement but a lifestyle

"You have way too many belts" Vi, the heretic, shouted as she lounged on the chair. Whump sat on her lap, sleeping peacefully

"Belts are kinda cool though" said Jinx on the other hand as she played with the tools we were slowly amassing. The twisted metal having been forced back to shape with liberal use of electricity and bashing them against the wall. They will never be precise but who needs precision anyways?

"This is the reason why Jinx is my favorite sister. Let me give you a hug!" Vi rolled her eyes while Jinx whined at my hug. She was just so precious

"Yeah yeah, at least Jinx knows who's her favorite sibling is right?" Jinx looked away after I pulled out a bun from my belt poach and handed it to her.

Vi clutched her eyes in mock pain as she looked at Jinx. "Jinx!"

"Wha?" Replied Jinx as she had quickly stuffed her mouth full of bread.

"As you said, Jinx knows exactly who's her favorite sibling" my grin was all for her to see

Vi apparently took that as a challenge. "Hey Jinx, is Ark your favorite sister?"

"Yup! He's the bestest! He even helps me braid my hair, play tea time with me, play with my do-!" I placed my hand in Jinx's mouth to keep her from saying too much but it was too late

Vi was laughing her ass off. She was bent over, wheezing while Jinx merely smiled. Whump was jolted awake by the guffaw and went off to lay down beside Jinx.

"Your such a girl Ark'' Vi wiped away a tear from her cheeks

"At least I don't eat like a pig"

"At least I don't use up almost all the water in the morning!

"Why don't we just collect more water anyways?" Asked Jinx

"Because the rats would start heading for our place" Vi and I replied. Leaving a lot of water around was just an open invitation for rats to come and find water to drink and those rats. I still shudder in revulsion at the thought of meeting them again

"Ok then" Jinx replied as she went back to tinkering. I tousled Jinx's hair. Her long locks flowing down her back as she tried to emulate how I kept my hair nice and long. Getting water for both basic bathing and drinking was a bit hard when you have a limited amount of bottle to keep the water nice and sealed

Pulling away, I went back to working on my belt. Just a few more things before it was ready

"I really need the belts though. You never know when you need them. Plus! I don't have to hold my crystal in place!" I lifted the large bulky belt up. It was made of alot of scrap metal but it helped connect me to the hex crystal that seemed to be attuned to me.

The belt had some primitive looking "sockets" which is just basically a place for me to jam copper wire to connect to the devices we've repaired. It was naked but magic didn't have the shocking properties of electricity even as it got conducted along the length of metal to what device we managed to salvage

"I don't know, seems kinda unnecessary? Then again, you did say that that crystal seems to work with you" Vi leaned forward and inspected the little device. She does have an eye for engineering and she helped me shape the metal.

"Think we can add a spool to help keep the wires neat?" I asked as I mentally pictured how the metal spool could help keep all the wires nicely packed in my belt.

While we tinkered with the simple device, the lights then started to dim noticeably. The lamp we had been using finally ran out of juice inside its simple chemical battery

"The light's going out! Do we have extra candles?" Jinx asked as she got up and started searching. She had been playing with some of the scraps, making a shark head from a broken plague rat trap when the lights gave out

"Umm, we don't have any here? Hey Ark, weren't you supposed to buy wicks?"

"No, it was you"

"Well we don't have any"

We all collectively groaned at the prospect of such a dark night. The lamp we bought back then was nice but it had only so much time left till it's spent.

Grabbing the offending thing, I tossed it in the pile of scraps. We really need a better source of light. It'll be a long time before I ever come close to making a light bulb

"Hey Vi, can you remind me that I have no work tomorrow?" I asked as the room slowly plunged to darkness. Magic was amazing when it comes to plants. The thing we used to make them bloom fasterz it seems kinda expensive though considering the guards they had podted while we applied them

"Eh sure" Vi replied as she slipped in our bed with Jinx in tow. I soon joined them and that night was another crystal filled dream

-x-x-x-

The night had been dark and quiet thanks to the lack of light. Sleep had come easy but the dreams came back again. It wasn't disturbing my sleep but there were just a lot of hex crystals in my dreams. There was also that familiar voice… an angry voice that was reaching out to me from the south?

I tucked in my sisters as I got ready for the day. A certain something just says there behind the back of my head. I try to not dwell on it too much as I hitched a ride

I felt like I needed to remember something, something important. Was it something that happened in my dream or...

My train of thought was derailed as an explosion rocked the carriage I was riding on. The passenger screamed as the building beside us exploded into a fiery ball of green alchemic fire. Badly dressed and laughing hooligans came streaming out of the building, mildly signed yet fine as.

Whoever they were, they were dead men as the Vereza men were going to respond to the insult. Nobody messes with a chem barons territory unless they have someone backing them or clearly insane and they might just be insane as they reached for their packs and huffed something from a canister

I wasn't able to see more as the carriage sped away, the driver clearly eager to get out of harm's way.

That was one way to start a morning. That was quickly left behind as I dropped off my stop and gave a mocking salute to the driver as I headed to the Cultivair.

Things have been a little charged lately. The way people traveled in groups, huddling together with some preferring to be in sight of the Vereza thugs and Vigilnauts.

"At least they aren't mugging us like those sump humpers. Ruining the day of us Entresol lads" whispered a group of factory workers as they passed by them. The symbol of the Vereza proudly displayed on their jackets and coats.

I couldn't help but agree. It was annoying how one can't feel safe walking in the alleys with these upstarts moving about.

Getting to the entrance of the Cultivair, I was greeted by a pair of Vigilnauts standing guard at the entrance. They were a new addition to the building. Tall, menacing with glass helmets filled with performance enhancing chems. Their faces was covered by this thick green fog inside their helmet making it hard to identify them at times

"Morning Tweedledee, Tweedlledum!" I greeted them as I hurriedly passed by them. I didn't like Vigilnauts a lot. Absentmindedly rubbing my side, I stepped inside to be greeted by screaming and buzzing.

I felt like I should have stayed home today as my boss rushed out of one of the doors leading to the door. There was a look of confusion before recognition washed over her face.

"Miss Carmen?" I asked as I peered behind her. Did I forget something?

"Why are you here? Didn't I tell you all that todays a rather busy day?" The woman replied as she tried to make herself a bit more presentable

"I might have forgotten?" I replied with a wry smile. Going to work had become ingrained into my body and the fact that they fed us and allowed me to bathe at times made the routine stick fast.

Looking at the door behind her, I asked "So did the bee's for the Vanilla plant get loose?"

It might have not been the brightest idea as her eyes narrowed at my words. Was it not common knowledge here? It was hard to pin the technological level of Runeterra as it seemed to be so advanced in some areas while lagging in others.

"How did you know about that?" She asked with a dangerous tone in her voice.

I swallowed thickly seeing how I landed myself in thin ice. "The Vanilla flowers are turning to pods this past month?" I wasn't all too confident with my answer but I can't stop bullshitting now.

"The Vanilla vine started making pods a few days after you told us not to come to the Cultivair and there's bees behind you so…"

The woman seemed to relax after that and sighed. "We weren't that secretive were we then?"

"Not exactly?"

"Have anyone told you you can be quite frank with your answer?"

"A few?"

She sighed as she waved me off " Well no matter. You were always the smart one among your peers as dumb as they are…"

I didn't know if I should feel praised or insulted but let her go on. You don't interrupt your boss after all

"As you can see, we're in a bit of a situation here". She gestured towards the metal behind her with the loud awful buzzing that could be heard even through the thick iron doors

"Those sound like a lot of bees."

"You have no idea" She reached for her forearm where a nasty welt was slowly rising. The dark stinger embedded in her chocolate colored skin was barely visible with how thin it was. She pinched on it and pulled out a big stinger whose length was similar to that of a rose thorn and dripping with a fluorescent blue venom.

"Do you need medical attention?" Venom shouldn't be even visible let alone glow blue.

"Oh no, nothing to worry about. Just a small sting, that's all." She waved off my concern as if she wasn't in pain. She was sweating a bit and a bit pale but nothing too serious I think?

"If you say so"

"Such a lost!" She shouted as she threw her arms in frustration. "I was going to add you to my list of personal assistants so you might as well know what happened. I also need someone to rant on because…" she screamed in frustration

"Hear those bees behind us? They're supposed to pollinate some plants. I think you're familiar with how we used some chemicals to make them docile enough to have them do their work without the risk of them hurting us but somehow one of my assistants forgot to use it before they released them and so we're here" She ranted as I stood there

"Can't you smoke them out?"

"They're not normal bees"

"Forgot I asked then ma'am"

"They're highly territorial and aggressive and it's going to take some time for them to calm down enough that we can send someone in'' I nodded. Those stingers looked like they could punch through a lot of things

"But by then we'll lost an entire batch of Vanilla! This was the last day to have them pollinated but damn my incompetent assisstants"

I hummed in agreement. That was pretty bad but… maybe I can take advantage of this situation. The lessons on the vanilla plant were a bit brief, the memories of the edible garden a bit fuzzy but I remembered how these plants were fertilized. On one hand, you have bees. On the other hand, you have a toothpick

"Well… I've been keeping this for a while but I think I have a way to solve your problem ma'am"

Act 1 Chapter 12
Scrapyard Angels Act 1 Chapter 12

I had to admit, making deals was not something I was good at. I was far less cutthroat than what was needed in Zaun and I couldn't quite gauge the value of what I was offering. For all I know, I was at the disadvantage despite having something to offer.

There was the fact that I was going to deal with someone closely associated and is in fact a relative of a Chem Baron. Chem Barons weren't just your typical CEO's, they were more akin to the Titans of the Gilded Age. They were the Rockefeller's, the Carnigie's, the Morgan's of Zaun and they were far more violent and more overt about it and the Vereza's were one of them.

Her eyes locked onto me as I spoke out, offering something she clearly wanted yet there was not a hint of any emotions in those cold blue eyes. "Go on, I'm listening"

Sweat dripped down my brow as I made my pitch. My hands trembling slightly as I put on my friendliest smile and the false bravado of a snake oil salesmans.

"Ma'am, how attached are you to the bee's currently infesting your greenhouse?"

"Are you suggesting that we kill them? Kill every last bee whose worth far exceeds your life?"

"I'm not exactly suggesting it but there's not exactly a way to stop them right now as you say. Our window to fertilize these flowers is closing fast and while it might be expensive to stun or possibly kill these bees…" I clasped my hands before pulling them apart to let her see the sparks arcing between my hands. "My process will far outstrip these natural pollinators. Ma'am, you are currently in a position that many would kill for. You have the chance to not only be the first to employ my method but outright corner an entire market. The Vereza's can have a monopoly on the Vanilla market with how much Vanilla I can guarantee you"

My heart was beating hard against my chest while my feet felt colder than ever before as I extended a hand towards her. "So what do you say ma'am? Do you trust me to show you the future?"

There was silence between us and only the buzz of the swarm of bees behind those doors was all I could hear.

"Mr Ark, if you were any less competent, I would chalked off your speech as nothing more than the rambling of a sump rat yet…

I feel that it is in the best interest of the House of Vereza to accept this offer. Name your price Mr Ark but be aware that the generosity of House Vereza can only go so far"

"Before I speak about my price, why don't we write this deal down Ma'am?"

The woman smirked as she replied "Are you insinuating that I would dare tarnish the honor of House Vereza?"

I raised my hands in an appeasing manner. "Oh no Ma'am, like the denizens of this district, I find the Vereza's to be the best among the Chem Barons but I'm just being a realist ma'am. I believe that it would be the height of foolishness to not define the parameter of my service. After all, how can I know that I'm under performing if all we had are vague words"

The woman narrowed her eyes a bit, daring me to stand with those words but I dared and stood my ground. I was not to be pushed around when I have the cards in my hands

After what felt like an eternity, she finally relented and nodded. "Very well then. Why don't we drop by one of the offices? Going to my office would take far too much time to go to"

I agreed and soon we'll find ourselves in one of the many offices of the Cultivair. The structure wasn't just a pleasure garden after all but an actual business. Each and every expense is recorded by the clerical workers employed by the Cultivair which made almost everything recorded on paper.

Once we were inside and Miss Carmen was drafting the contract, I made my demands. "First of all, I want the Veraza family to sponsor me in the upcoming scholarship program of the College if Techmaturgy"

"Reasonable"

I started my demands as high as I could. was an untested individual, an unknown who didn't even have an education background in this world. I was a risk that they would take, I-... Wait what

I slowly turned towards her, confused at the turn of events. "Aren't my demands high?"

"Oh not at all, it's perfectly reasonable actually and you do know what this entails right?" She asked as the scribbling of her fountain filled the room

This wasn't just a financial investment from a rich family, it was a two way street as the benefactor is obliged to serve the families interest. Who else was going to take them in after they graduated. It was akin to swearing fealty to a family and it also entails the consequence of reneging on this ancient tradition"

"Off course ma'am"

"Mhmmm, Is there anything else you'd like to ask for Mr Ark?"

I was tempted to ask for an apartment and allowance from this but I had another thing in mind already

"I want to keep my job here Ma'am."

"You do know that the College of Techmaturgy is a full time commitment"

"Yes but I could always work part time and I would like to earn my keep"

She smiled softly as she wrote it all down.

"I'd also like to do this alone ma'am"

This had her frowning slightly as she stopped writing. "Why is that Mr Ark?"

"I would just like to have an assurance ma'am." As much as the Veraza's were nice to their employees, I still keep my guard up. They were still Chem Barons.

Her brows scrunched up before she sighed as she nodded and continued working on the contract.

"Now we move on to collateral. So Mr Ark, what can you offer in case your idea fails. While the bees might not try and feed from every flowers as we would have intended while controlling them, they would have still pollinated some flowers

Your method might ruin an already ruined batch even further so we want something Mr Ark, something that would reassure us that we will have something of value in the off chance if things dont pan out. Trust but verify no?"

It was already hard to be on the receiving end of your own words but I don't have a choice on this matter. This was as close as I could get to getting an easy way out of this life and I'll hold on to it with my dear life.

"I offer myself in bondage and everything I have as I have nothing else to offer" This was my deal and only I will have to deal with the consequence

A quick contract and copy of the contract was drafted. I had to sign in triplicates and my New Piltie signature sure did stand out in a Zaunite document. That got me a raised eyebrow but for all intent and purpose, Piltovan was still an accepted language in Business.

With all that done, my work started. Electricity arced between my hands and soon it spread across my skin. My hair flowed like I was underwater as I covered myself in electricity. Doing this wasn't too hard as it was merely a full body exercise on making my magic flow.

"I know I'm letting you in without supervision please do try to hold back Ms Arc" The Woman said. What was it with these people? Can't they decide on my gender already? It was far too early for me to complain about this

I entered without much fanfare and was greeted by the biggest bees ever seen. It's one thing to see a bee that was as big as your thumb, it was another to have them fly at you. They're large bulbous eyes honed in on me as they flew right at me. I could see my reflection in those eyes as they hit my field.

Their black gossamer wings singed as the electricity dancing across my skin licked at them.They dropped like a fly against a fly swatter as I walked deeper into the Rainforest section.

There were some unconscious, I do hope they were unconscious, bodies here and there. From here, I could see that some of the workers had jumped into the river to try and lose their insectoid pursuers. It looks like I have some people to rescue

Shining brighter than even the strong chemtech lights inside the massive greenhouse, I've made myself quite the target for these bees. They swarmed towards me and for a brief second I thought they'd overwhelm my defense as my vision was blotted by the cloud of insects only for them to start dropping around me as they got too close. It took a while but soon enough I managed to stun the majority of them.

I'm not sure if they're still alive but I still had work to do. My nose wrinkled as the stench of burnt chitin seeped through my mask.

"It's ok now to go out!"

Soon, the workers that were hiding in the river came out as the smells spread throughout the greenhouse. I garnered some thanks from these workers as they went to father the bees and get out of the greenhouse after some prompting and prodding

I found myself a sturdy enough stick from one of the palm fronds and got to work. The Vanilla flower was weird. Why evolution made it so that it cannot self pollinate was beyond me. Just looking at it gave me a headache. The only thing stopping the stigma from meeting the anther was this membrane. I had to lift this membrane and then make the stigma meet the anther.

The first one was botched as I tore through the flower thanks to my shaking hands but I managed to calm down enough by the second one to start doing it properly. I kept going, pollinating more and more flowers. It felt like hours doing it alone but it was necessary. I didn't want to teach it to her and get screwed so did it alone

Finally, after what felt like a hundred flowers, I finally managed to pollinate them all. I destroyed my little tool before walking out. Miss Carmen greeted me as I walked out

"So I take that you're done"

"There was one mishap but all of them are fertilized ma'am"

"Understood. I take that you're tired. The workers lounge is open to your use then. There are some snacks there and some water. You'll find better use for it compared to my former employees"

"Thank you" I was sincere in my gratitude. While I love staying inside the Rainforest, it was far more tiring compared to the other sections due to the humidity.

As I walked away, Miss Carmen reminded me "Ms Ark, you do remember what's at stake right?"

"Of course."

And so I walked out of the room with the heavy spectre of my contract hanging above me. The weight of the possibility of failure clings to me. I know that it can work but there is always doubt in that little corner of my mind

Act 1 Chapter 13
Scrapyard Angels Act 1 Chapter 13

As soon as I left the Cultivar, I felt like every bit of strength left in my body melted away. It was only after the fact that the reality of the situation I was in finally sunk in. I felt both elated and scared as adrenaline coursed through my body

Finding a hole to lay in for a while, I sat there just giggling at my situation. I couldn't help but laugh as I tried to calm myself down. I was sticking my head out in the chopping block both metaphorically and literally with that deal.

I didn't have any fantasy that the piece of paper hidden inside the poach could even sway a baron but I held on to the hope that the Veraza would find use in me. I was useful, I could help them. By asking for an education, I wasn't only showing that I was smarter than most people but also have more to give.

I snuck out some pieces of candy and cookies from the longue and that at least helped calm my nerves. The strong sour taste of the lemon drop filled my mouth. After so long, the flavor seemed overwhelming but it did its job.

I could have pawned the crystals but it wasn't mine to use. It was something my family owned together plus I do not want to know what would happen if a family decided that we stole it.

Picking myself up, I crawled back up the surface so I could take a long walk. Since technically I wasn't supposed to work today, I got out of the Cultivair rather early. I had time to burn so might as well wander around aimlessly

This part of town was controlled by the Veraza's. From the banners over some buildings down the design of the the street signs and the symbols on the sidewalk, the Veraza's made sure everyone knew who own things

Thugs were often common but they didn't exactly harass people who came from this area. They were Veraza "employees" who were just there to "enforce the will of their employers" and "keep the peace". The matching theme of their uniforms made them almost like the police which made me wonder why they weren't called the police in the first place

While the Veraza owned this area and had men to enforce it, that doesn't mean that there still wasn't crime happening. Opportunistic thugs and criminals often happen to find themselves in the area before melting away back to where they come from

Speaking of thugs, my eyes soon find a group of men huddled together in an alleyway. Almost immediately one of them spotted me. He was a wolfish looking man with a gray shaggy mane that reminded me of that of a dog. His eyes were gold and the sneer in his face showed the elongated gold canine he had.

"What are you looking at, girl? Scram!" He growled out as he straightened up. I immediately booked it once I saw the bandalore of guns and explosives strapped across his bare chest.

They did not look friendly and I wouldn't want to be near where they were as I remembered what happened earlier.

Even with all the money flowing in, it seems to have only made greedy men greedier. All this violence just for a larger piece of pie.

Maybe talking a walk wasn't the best idea

-x-x-x-

The day passed by relatively fast. All that excitement from earlier made things go well. Even the usual excitement of playing with magic felt dampened.

I walked down one of the many entrances of my home and made sure I didn't enter the same one as before.

Something didn't feel right however as I heard some skittering chirping sound, a sound I had grown to hate. There was a plague rat nearby. I picked up my pace before making a run for it.

The sounds grew louder as I got closer to my home making it even more apparent that one of these pests found my home. The light coming from inside the room showed a large curled up silhouette My suspicion wasn't unfounded as I saw the biggest rat I ever saw in my life

Plague Rats were not your typical rats. They were your common rats, bigger and meaner cousins. I wasn't even sure if they were still rats as they were easily the size of dogs and this one was even bigger than normal. Its sharp beady eyes immediately honed in on me and it bared it razor sharp teeth

My eyes wandered around the room, trying to find traces of Jinx but finding none. What made my heart freeze was the pile of fur by the side. There was something over it, thick chunks of red covering parts of the pile

I saw red as I pulled out my knife.

"You killed Whump! Now I'll kill you!"

We circled each other, sizing each other up. I couldn't quite commit with how big the rat was and how limited my reach was with my shiv but I'll find a hole.

I was about to lash out when I heard someone call out behind me.

"Sir Floofington! Don't you dare bar your teeth on my brother!" shouted Jinx as she ran past me and straight for the best.

I was momentarily confused but seeing the beast cower before Jinx made it clear that it was at least friendly to Jinx. Even as she raised her hands at it, it still refused to attack

"But what about Whump?!" I shouted as I tried to process everything

Jinx tilted her head and it was now her turn to look at me in confusion. "What about Whump?"

I blustered and sputtered at her nonchalant comment as I waved my knife at the pile of fur.

"My new hat?"

"Hat!?"

"See?" She walked over to the pile and picked it up. She brushed away the red chunks before placing it on her head. I felt like I was going to faint at the sight of the fur hat. "Hat! Doesn't it look good? There's some tomato chunks on it but it still looks good"

"To… mato chunks?"

"Yup! May or may not have borrowed this which had some nasty shop owner throw rotten tomatoes at me but we have a hat!"

"But Whump?" I was honestly too dazed right now to even reply properly

'"Are you looking for Whump? Cause he's up there" She pointed up above the room and right at the mess of pipes above.

There nested among the protective metal pipes was a hissing Whump who looked bale fully down from above. It was then that all the adrenaline started to wear off

"You know what… just wake me up when Vi comes home"

-x-x-x-

"And so that's how I tamed the great Sir Floofington and why we should keep him as our pet!" Exclaimed Jinx as she finished explaining how she found Floffington, where she found him and yes it's him, and how she tamed it.

Vi was still staring at her dumbly and I can't help but empathize with her because why? Even Whump gave her the look. I gave him a gentle pat while he glared balefully at the rat.

Jinx did give us an impromptu lesson on Plague rats which was mildly impressive on its own with how coherent it was.

"So Vi, what do we do?" I asked her

"Adopt the rat! Adopt the rat! Adopt the rat!" Chanted Jinx as she wrapped her hands round the happy looking rat's neck. Whump was vehemently against it as he chittered away while waving his hands in front of him.

"I really want to say we need to get him back to where he comes from…" Vi said cautiously before Jinx interrupted her

"Booo!" Jinx then grabbed the highly decorated box and then opened and closed it repeatedly, trying to make it seem like it was speaking as she impersonated high Zaunite speech "I say, we must adopt the rat!"

Jinx jumped up and gestured at the box. "See! Even Mister Sparkles agrees with me!"

Vi facepalmed and so did I. "As you can see Ark, we can't convince her otherwise"

"I can see that Vi. I can clearly see that'' Whump cried out in dismay, holding the back of his hand against his forehead before falling backward. You silly whump, so dramatic

Jinx jumped up and down in celebration. "Yes yes yes! Take that Fishbone! You always doubted me but I got a pet! I got a pet" She shouted in glee as she danced around the twisted metal bear turned shark face

I couldn't help but grin as he reached for my poach. "Hey Vi, hungry?"

Jinx turned toward me while Vi perked up. "Yeah, got something?"

I pulled out my poach and opened it. "Cause your such a good girl, I want to give you this"

"What the hell Ark, I thought we were through this… ohhh" Vi's eyes widened as I opened the poach to reveal the food inside. They were simple Lady Fingers and Butter Cookies but for us Sumprats, they were way more valuable than gold at times.

Jinx gasped out as she reached out for it only for me to stop her. "I said it's for good girls''

Vi couldn't help but join in as she nodded eagerly and said "Yup! Only good girls''

"But I'm a good girl! I am the goodest girl!" Whined Jinx as Vi grabbed one of the cookies and ate it. She made a show out of it as she savored every last bite.

I gave Whump a puffcap both as a bribe and to distract him from the cookies. He did prefer them a lot more than other food

"These are good! Where the heck did you find them? These are way too expensive and they're often next to the bakers''

"Gimme gimme!" Said Jinx but I kept her at arm's length just to tease her more.

"I got them from work. I did some things at work and my boss was impressed. If things fall through, things will get better!" I conveniently left out the part where the collateral might just be my head but they don't need to know that. There was already enough worry in our lives.

"That's great!"

"Come on! I want my cookie!" Jinx shouted before pouting at both of us. I chuckled as I finally gave in, not wanting to push her any further

"Well you were a good girl… so go ahead!"

"Cookie!" Jinx grabbed the biggest cookie and started munching on it with gusto. I ruffled her hair while Vi shook her head with an amused smile painted across her face.

The small things in life are what makes things bearable. Their smiles and their laughter is for one's soul. I wouldn't trade this away

I nearly jumped as Floofington decided to try and sneak towards the cookie. Vi kept the cookie poach out of reach

"No Mr Floofington! Bad Mr Floffingtin, That's human food!"

"How do we even feed this… thing!" I asked. Even if we accepted the rat, I still have reservations towards it. I really don't like the idea of sleeping with the rat nearby

"Oh that's easy, I just take him to the dump! Cindy actually taught me a lot about Mr Floofington"

And just like that, my headache returned. of course Cindy was involved. At Least I know now what Jinx often does when we're out working. The things I do for love

A/N:

So here's the new chapter. Hope you like it. Jinx gets to show why she's the goodest girl and why she deserves head pats. Give your Jinx a head pats, do it now

Welp, hopefully my schedule couls return back to normal after this. See ya later, now I eat breakfast

Back