It's still over half an hour long for no good reason. At that point you lose the right to hide behind the term "abridgment" and start being a fandub open to copyright crackdown.
Uhm, no. it's a transformative work and protected under the rules governing parodies.

Abridgment alone doesn't actually get you around copyright at all.

I'm honestly kind of curious why that was a thing. The actual in-universe reasoning I mean. Were they just a bunch of Kirito fans? SAO survivors maybe? I'm not sure if the timeline works for that but I can't see why otherwise.
From what I understand, one guy started it and others followed, possibly because spriggans resemble Kirito. Best guesses I've seen it's Klein BallsDeep69.
It's still over half an hour long for no good reason.
It's half an hour long to tell the story it wants to tell in the episode. They could have cut it at some point, but I don't see where they would do that without making this or the next episode awkward.

Also they added a lot of jokes with frozen/looping animations, with some of their own stuff mixed in. That takes time.

Are there any other abridged serieses still alive anymore that aren't either SWEAbridged or Azurecrow?
Project Mouthwash is doing Fate Stay Night, though their last release was 7 months ago.

Last edited:
Time that would be better spent finishing the episode they're working with and then moving on to the next episode. I can't talk about Abridged serieses anymore without someone telling me "It's too long and unfunny", so they need to start making their videos shorter and come out more often.
I'm sorry if this is glib, but I really can not think of anything other than, That sounds like a you problem.

There's clearly demand for longer abridged series going by SAOA's popularity, and frankly a core element and draw of SAO Abridged from the beginning was that it actually aimed to tell a story rather than just pack an incredibly brief runtime with as many jokes as possible. SAO Abridged has from the getgo packed plenty of storytelling and made a conscious effort to paper over the original work's plot holes and flaws in characterization. That necessitates time. If you want a series that just jokes packed a mile a minute in short chunks, then that's not a bad thing but it's also never been the type of Abridged series SAOA has been, and its not the type of series that won SAOA its popularity.

So, to reiterate, That sounds like a you problem.

I enjoyed the new episode, personally. I wasn't expecting the race war between Salamanders & Sylph + Catfolk to be for... Well, the reason we got here. Nor that the Spriggan population got killed off entirely barring Kirito. Good way to cover for how we never see other Spriggan in ALO, actually (barring spinoff series?).

I wonder how they'll handle Kirito raiding the World Tree to rescue Asuna here? She's already shown herself to be much more proactive in escaping vs canon.

Are there any other abridged serieses still alive anymore that aren't either SWEAbridged or Azurecrow?

Phat Dog Studios did an abridging of Log Horizon which ended last summer, and they've got a few more concurrently running (Seven Deadly Sins and Slime Hero at the very least), though I haven't checked the rest of them out. I maybe should though since the ending of their Log Horizon take seemed to imply some kind of Abridged Cinematic Universe thing they were trying to pull off.

It's still over half an hour long for no good reason. At that point you lose the right to hide behind the term "abridgment" and start being a fandub open to copyright crackdown.

Yugioh Abridged is still releasing an episode or two a year.

I must admit the whole squeaker thing nearly made me break into tears. I've lost pets before, and besides, I know just how lonely and starved for friendship you need to be to form such a bond of love with a virtual pet item.

Uhm, no. it's a transformative work and protected under the rules governing parodies.

Abridgment alone doesn't actually get you around copyright at all.

Maybe.

No one's fought this out in court. And, well, US courts ((and japanese courts) tend to favor the big rich business over the small collection of individuals
I'm sorry if this is glib, but I really can not think of anything other than, That sounds like a you problem.

There's clearly demand for longer abridged series going by SAOA's popularity, and frankly a core element and draw of SAO Abridged from the beginning was that it actually aimed to tell a story rather than just pack an incredibly brief runtime with as many jokes as possible. SAO Abridged has from the getgo packed plenty of storytelling and made a conscious effort to paper over the original work's plot holes and flaws in characterization. That necessitates time. If you want a series that just jokes packed a mile a minute in short chunks, then that's not a bad thing but it's also never been the type of Abridged series SAOA has been, and its not the type of series that won SAOA its popularity.

So, to reiterate, That sounds like a you problem.

I mean, if TFS hadn't ended it, DBZA would still be going strong. They just buckled under the legal pressures. As the system intends.

I wonder how they'll handle Kirito raiding the World Tree to rescue Asuna here? She's already shown herself to be much more proactive in escaping vs canon.
My guess is after that once scene Oberon will keep Asuna paralyzed like Kayaba did in episode 11, simply because I doubt SWE can deviate that much from the source material. As for that one scene, I'm expecting it to be a play on the naughty tentacles trope. My money is on that Asuna enjoys the tentacles, either pretending to or unironically. While the... Whatever they're called are stuck in a uncomfortable situation where they can't let her go because Oberon would have their asses if they let Asuan escape, but really don't want to keep holding her as they are freaked out by Asuna liking the situation.

Last edited:
I mean, if TFS hadn't ended it, DBZA would still be going strong. They just buckled under the legal pressures. As the system intends.
I believe they also quit due to having done it for almost a decade by that point, making a profit off it was a definite grey territory legally, and the Buu arc was already more jokey and comedic than the prior ones. There wasn't much they could tweak there, as it were.

MENTLEGEN

Soon!

(bit over 2 hours from now)

EDIT:
NOW!
IN THE PAST.
GET IT BEFORE THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS CHANGE THEIR MINDS!

Last edited:
Watched it. Wasn't really funny. A lot of it felt like unnecessary padding, mostly their attempts to adapt Episode 21 - Asuna's still too stupid to just hit the logout button when there were easier ways to edit around that issue, and the tentacle monsters acting intimidated of her should've either been cut or replaced with fanmade footage of, I dunno, something that actually shows her being intimidating instead of saying she is.

Episode 22's adaptation is extremely straightforward, but with some random snipes at The Phantom Menace shoehorned in. Kirito's soliloquy waiting for respawn is well done, though the way it ends reminds me of how unexplored his and Suguha's childhood is.

As for Suguha...LennonDrake is trying, but she still only seems to have two modes to her performance - angry, and angry screaming. Makes a lot of her dialogue indistinguishable and forgettable, and even hard to separate her from Yui, who's also become the same character here. Maybe I'm just spoiled from how the source material's dub gave Suguha one of my favorite VAs in Cassandra Lee Morris (Taiga, Kyubey), but the Abridged rendition of the identity reveal is failing to reach the authenticity the source had, and that was a scene where a fanservicey little sister was crying about not being able to marry her cousin!

Last edited:
I feel like SAO Abridged is running on fumes here.

Then again, Alfheim Arc was a mistake in canon too, so I can't fault the writers here for being slow. I imagine when they hit the GGO arc it will be so much easier given the CoD/Fortnite memes they can implement

I liked it. And from the sounds of it, how their relationship is being handled here works a lot better than the incest angle.
"Siblings who were best friends as kids drifting apart due to diverging interests and shitty (grand)parents" is a hell of a lot more compelling than canon.
Was Azurecrow the one who emotionally abused multiple female voice actors and then used his influence like a cudgel to get them blackballed from the community when they went public until they backed down and recanted, or am I thinking of someone else?
So, I've heard and previously linked about.
Then again, apparently Dizzasta was a MUCH bigger problem.

Last edited:
I liked it. And from the sounds of it, how their relationship is being handled here works a lot better than the incest angle.
"Siblings who were best friends as kids drifting apart due to diverging interests and shitty (grand)parents" is a hell of a lot more compelling than canon.
Unless you're an EXTREMELY talented writer who's earned the trust of their audience that they're not just doing it for shock or titillation, it's going to be incredibly hard to push a "in love with my brother" plot as serious drama. Though I heard Drakengard managed to do it.

I'd also like to hear about this Dizzasta drama.

it's going to be incredibly hard to push a "in love with my brother" plot as serious drama.
I feel "the person I have a crush on online turned out to be my brother and now I want to kill myself out of embarrassment" is a bit distinct from "I am in love with my brother" but it was a long time ago I watched it so I might be misremembering what actually happened.

Back