Something to add.

We won't be seeing Roman and friends for a while. That arc was to firmly finish integrating Saffre into their dynamic, and to give Roman something to do beyond Dust heist in Vale. This next part of the story is about firmly integrating Zeffre into Beacon with the others while also doing some character development, so a lot of the future chapters will be focused on other characters perspectives.

It's kind of funny how originally, I felt there wasn't much to write about before Blake investigates the White Fang at the end of Volume 1, but now I have the exact opposite problem where I have so many things I want to write about before that happens.

Chapter 19: Crystallized Memories
As everyone else stood up Weiss glanced over her notes.

Her handwriting was immaculate, a beautifully executed concise summary of the lecture done in flawless cursive. In the top right corner was today's date, and the lecture topic was clearly written at the top of the page, perfect for later reference whenever she might need it.

Satisfied, Weiss capped her white 1939 Scribe, a gold nibbed fountain pen filled with Encre Bleu Mystère ink, and carefully placed the matching notebook into her bag.

"Ruby, have you seen Zeffre?" she asked, her voice curious with an undercurrent of annoyance.

Internally she was still figuring out how she would give Zeffre a piece of her mind, but she was better than allowing such feelings to reveal themselves in a public setting such as a lecture hall.

When she got Zeffre alone however…

Ruby stopped mid shoving loose pages into her bag to look at Weiss. "I haven't seen her since yesterday… I hope she's ok—"

Ruby jumped as the deafening crack of thunder cut her off.

"Are you afraid of thunder?" Weiss asked, smirking slightly at the frazzled girl.

"What? No, of course not. Scared of thunder? Please," Ruby said a little too quickly, giving Weiss a nervous laugh. "It was just unexpected is all."

A thunderstorm had rolled in last night, and it was only now that it had begun to let up.

"Sure. Just tell Zeffre that I need to talk to her if you see her," Weiss finished, standing with her bag.

Zeffre was supposed to meet with her yesterday to study. Instead, Weiss had waited thirty minutes alone at the library.

Needless to say, Weiss was beyond furious at the girl.

----​

It had finally stopped raining.

Looking outside the second story hallway window, Weiss looked out over the forest surrounding Beacon Academy. The recent rainfall had soaked everything outside, giving it a fresh clean sheen. The dark grey clouds in the sky cast everything in a sort of twilight that would soon fade away, revealing fresh blue sky.

The sunset today would probably be particularly striking.

'I'd be nice to go for a walk later… wait.'

Weiss spotted something dark blue just inside the brush.

'What?'

----​

Ignoring the sensation of her shoes getting muddy, Weiss ran across the field.

"Hi Weiss!" Zeffre shouted as she ran across the field, waving.

Stopping in front of the girl Weiss couldn't hide her utter bafflement.

Zeffre was completely soaked, her hair hanging low covering one eye as she gave Weiss a smile.

"Zeffre! What are you doing out here?" Weiss asked, controlling her shout into something more subtle.

Zeffre tilted her head. "Waiting for you? Duh?"

"What."

"Remember? Yesterday I wanted to show you this cool flower I found, but you got a message on your scroll and told me to wait here," Zeffre said smiling. "So, I waited."

"Eh… Wha… Wait," Weiss stuttered before shaking her head. "You mean to tell me that you've been out here all night?!"

"Yup. Flower got torn apart in the wind last night, which sucks but what can you do?" Zeffre said.

Weiss blinked. "You… You didn't need to wait out here all night…," Weiss said, trailing off as she stared at Zeffre who gave her a grin back.

"I mean, the way you said it sounded more like a command…," Zeffre said, scratching her cheek before shrugging. "Either way, no biggie."

Weiss continued to stare silently at Zeffre, mouth agape. 'She can't be serious.'

"So… Can I move now or—"

"Yes!" Weiss shouted, causing Zeffre to jump.

----​

As the pair walked back to Zeffre's room, both pairs of shoes squeaking on the tiled surface of the hallway, Weiss genuinely didn't know what to say.

On one level, she found it unbelievable for Zeffre to have waited out there the entire night. The girl walking next to her didn't look any worse for wear… But it didn't make any sense for Zeffre to lie about it.

On another level she couldn't help but feel a tiny bit guilty.

"I still can't believe you waited all night in a thunderstorm…," Weiss said absently.

Zeffre raised an eyebrow. "Are you still hung up on that? Please, waiting out in a thunderstorm is far from the worst thing I've been ordered to do before. Honestly, it's fine." she said, waving her hand as they walked.

A pang of concern passed through Weiss's heart at the comment. The way she had said it… so matter of fact.

Weiss desperately wanted to ask Zeffre more about what she meant by 'worst thing she'd been ordered to do'.

She instead decided to walk alongside Zeffre silently.

----​

Weiss had never seen the inside of Zeffre's room.

The fact that Zeffre even had a room to herself at Beacon was just another oddity of the girl that she had let slip into the background noise of Zeffre's situation. She hadn't really considered what it might look like inside.

On the left side of the room was her bed, right was the dresser. The center of the room, however, was dominated by an easel facing the door, with a large desk covered with drawing supplies and paper directly below the window.

There were drawings covering the wall by her bed.

"Uh… If you want you can hang out here while I go take a quick shower and change of clothes," Zeffre said absently before quickly turning towards Weiss, "Unless you don't want to. That's fine too. I mean, of course that is fine… um… you know what?" Zeffre said before gathering a fresh change of clothes out of her dresser. "Wanna see the best part of being able to teleport?"

Weiss was still trying to not think about what Zeffre meant earlier. "What's the best part?" she asked, giving Zeffre a half-smirk.

"Being able to escape awkward situations," Zeffre said before dispersing into multiple motes of light that collapsed into a single point and vanished.

Weiss let out an amused exhale. At times she couldn't really understand if Zeffre was trying to be funny, or if she was just like that.

Looking around Weiss realized that she had two options before her.

Option A was to go back to her team's room and wait for Zeffre. This option was objectively the least obtrusive and most dignified option she could take.

Option B was to… Not snoop.

She was Weiss Schnee; she did not snoop. She would investigate.

They were completely different.

Rocking back and forth on the heels of her feet for a second Weiss concluded that option B was objectively the correct decision.

Walking over to the bed, not made she noted to herself, Weiss looked over Zeffre's drawings.

She had known that Zeffre liked to draw, she always carried a sketchbook with her during classes, but she really hadn't considered her skill.

Some of the drawings were simple quick sketches; sci-fi scenes of skies dominated by massive planets, some with sunrises.

The drawings with people, however, were much more interesting.

Each drawing on the wall she saw involving people was intricately detailed, looking almost photorealistic. Some of these drawings were still obviously fictional, with people wearing different suits on different planets.

Weiss let out a little chuckle as she glanced at a drawing of Zeffre wearing one of the suits.

Yet, there was something else in the drawings with people beyond the attention to detail.

In every one of them the people were smiling. Playful smiles, broad grins, smirks… Smiles of all kinds. And the attention to detail to their expressions… Weiss could definitely feel the happiness of those scenes.

'She's a really good artist,' Weiss thought to herself as she continued to look around the room.

Approaching the desk Weiss found an incomplete drawing. Pencils off to one side, colored pencils on the other.

It was a scene of three people: one man, one woman, and a little girl.

The man had thinning black hair with streaks of white and striking royal blue eyes. He was wearing fishing overalls.

The woman had beautiful cobalt blue hair and emerald green eyes. She was wearing shorts and a navy-blue hoodie with a cap.

And the little girl… She had the man's eyes and the woman's hair. She was wearing a copy of the man's overalls holding up an empty fishing line.

Weiss felt like it was a safe bet that this was a drawing of Zeffre and her parents.

She couldn't help but smile at the drawing. The way the three of them were smiling, with Zeffre's father and Zeffre giving the same bashful grins while her mom laughed. Zeffre's dad had his arm draped over her as they laughed.

As she looked at the drawing Weiss noticed there were a few dried up splotches of graphite and color along the bottom. 'Oh.'

"What'cha looking at Weiss?"

Screaming, Weiss jumped to the right as she found a freshly clean and dry Zeffre standing right behind where she had been standing, giving Weiss an innocent smile.

"Zeffre! What the hell!" Weiss shouted, covering her racing heart with one hand.

Weiss knew from that smile that Zeffre knew exactly what she did.

"Hehe… Sorry, you were so absorbed in my drawing that it made it too easy to sneak up on you." Zeffre said as she placed her soaked scarf up to dry on a hanger. "Anyway, I'm feeling a lot better now. Did you need me for something?"

Weiss huffed, her annoyance quickly melting away as she glanced at the drawing. "I didn't know you were such a good artist," she said absently, her tone subdued as she remembered what Jaune told them a few days ago: 'None.'

"Eh? Oh, that?" she said, pointing at the desk without looking at it, "I'm alright. The lighting in that drawing isn't quite right, but it's close enough to what I remember."

Zeffre began snickering. "It's actually a funny story. My mom had the idea of the three of us going out of the city on a fishing trip, you know get some fresh air, enjoy nature? Well, it was only after we arrived at the lake that mom and dad realized that neither of them actually knew how to fish."

"We… we ended up posing for a photo with an imaginary fish!" she said in between giggles.

"The drawing is based on a photo?" Weiss asked, smiling. Zeffre's joy was infectious.

"Yeah. I mean, I don't have any photos anymore, so it's really based on my memory of that photo of that memory…," Zeffre said, trailing off. "Wow, that is confusing."

Weiss got a sinking feeling in her gut, smile fading. "You don't have any photos of them?"

Zeffre's smile faltered for a second. "Uh… no. The most I've got now are my memories. I, uh, I like to try and draw the feeling I had in that moment." She let out a nervous chuckle. "I sort of think of my drawing as crystallized memories of those moments. It's not that bad really. I'm used to it" she said, scratching the back of her head.

"Zeffre I…," Weiss began, struggling to get the words out. It wasn't her fault that Zeffre took her comment so literally, but she wasn't really apologizing for just that.

The drawing of her parents, the tear stains, the fact that she didn't even have any photos to remember them by… Weiss didn't really understand what Zeffre must have been through, but she felt that someone needed to apologize for it. For all of it.

"I'm sorry."

Zeffre's smile faltered for a second, brow furrowing as she stared silently at Weiss before it came back. "Oh, are you still hung up on the rain thing?"

"N—"

"I told you it's fine. I mean, I used to serve this woman, Stella," Zeffre began, "Stella was great, kind person, friendly, generous, you name it. Anyway, Stella, once she got a few drinks in her, would sometimes put out lit cigarettes on my arm." she said, rubbing her left arm.

"What."

Zeffre continued, smiling as if recalling a fond memory. "Yeah, she thought it was amusing how I wouldn't flinch, but I mean, it still hurt like hell." Zeffre shrugged. "I'd consider that way worse than waiting out in the rain, and I liked Stella." she shrugged, holding up her left arm, "besides, I heal fast so no scars."

She was smiling.

Zeffre had talked about St—, that woman, with a smile on her face as if she were talking about an old friend.

Weiss wanted to leave. She desperately wanted to walk out that door, forget she had ever had this conversation with Zeffre, and never bring this up ever again.

The mere thought of her doing that made her disgusted with herself.

Stepping in front of Zeffre, Weiss searched her expressive eyes for something. Some hint that she knew that what she had just told her was horrible. Anything.

All she found was confusion as Zeffre watched her.

"Uh… Is there something wr—"

Weiss hugged Zeffre.

It was an awkward hug, Weiss was not at all used to hugging people in general, and this wasn't a polite hug of two acquaintances meeting after some time apart. This was a tight, desperate hug.

Weiss ignored how Zeffre's pendant dug into her chest. She instead focused on Zeffre herself. On how she felt a lot warmer than she expected, on how Zeffre slowly hugged her back… On how she could feel warm tears on her neck.

She didn't know what to say… she didn't know if there was anything she could say really… But she did know that she needed to do something.

Weiss pulled back and she could feel her heart breaking.

Zeffre was still giving her a confused look, but tears were flowing down her cheeks. She started laughing. "Sorry I… Why am I crying?" she said, confused as she wiped away her own tears. "I—Ack!"

Weiss hugged her again.

----​

Weiss had found another drawing of Zeffre's parents.

It was of the three of them talking in front of… something? Behind the three of them floating a plinth were nine fragments of metal forming a broken circle, a strange white energy sparking between them.

Weiss paid more attention to their faces.

Zeffre's parents were talking with her, her father's arm holding her mother close while Zeffre stood to the side wearing a jumpsuit with a jacket. She could see the pride in their eyes as they talked, of how Zeffre rubbed the back of her neck like she usually did when embarrassed.

Weiss hated herself for it, but she felt a pang of jealousy pass through her at the picture. Of the clear love Zeffre's parents had for each other. For their daughter.

Even with her own… complicated family dynamic, Weiss at least had pictures of her family. Of her mother Willow and her sister Winter.

Weiss wiped her eyes with her sleeve. She knew that wishing for her parents to love each other like she saw in the drawing was pointless.

Still… It was nice to fantasize.

Weiss debated if she should bring it up. She didn't want to hurt Zeffre any more than she already had, but… she needed to know.

"Did… did they love each other?" Weiss asked, wincing at her stutter.

Zeffre looked up at her. "Wanna be more specific?" she said smiling, before quickly dropping her smile at Weiss's expression. "Sorry."

"Your parents. Did they love each other?" Weiss clarified.

"Absolutely."

Weiss shook her head. The way Zeffre had said it… the utter conviction behind that word.

"They were perfect. Just… perfect…," Zeffre trailed off, her voice going quiet again. "Far better than I ever deserved."

Weiss had to stop herself from slapping her.

"Zeffre, what do you think your parents would say if they heard you say that," Weiss said, struggling to keep her voice neutral.

Zeffre looked back down at the floor of her room. "Sorry."

Weiss quietly walked over to sit next to her on the bed, not sure what to really say.

There wasn't anything she could say.

The two of them sat in silence on Zeffre's bed for a few moments.

"You missed Professor Peach's lecture." Zeffre said, voice quiet.

Weiss looked at Zeffre. "We missed Professor Peach's lecture," Weiss corrected, smiling as Zeffre took a glance at her.

"Heh… You got me. We missed Professor Peach's lecture," Zeffre said, giving Weiss a smile she hadn't seen before. This one was smaller, more reserved… Genuine.

Weiss shrugged. "We probably didn't miss anything important."

Zeffre laughed. "Good point. We can just ask to look at Ruby's notes later."

Weiss gave her a flat look.

Sunlight was now filtering through the window, the change in lighting casting the room in a warm orange glow.

"You know what, good point. We can ask Blake." Zeffre said, laughing at Weiss's expression.

----​

Author's Note:

Writing this chapter was emotionally exhausting. Hopefully nothing bad ever happens to Zeffre's drawings.
Thanks for reading.

Special thanks to Spudr for their suggestion of incorporating more of Weiss's thoughts of her own family into the mix. I feel like it really helped in tying everything together.

I've updated this stories synopsis (again) and would like to hear what ya'll think. I think it works way better than the old one, but I'm biased.

New Synopsis:

One night a girl appeared in Vale wielding powers of Starlight. To her this was just another place, another search for meaning and structure in her endless existence.

She never could have imagined how complicated her life was about to become.

Chapter 20: Broken
Zeffre didn't know how to begin. She had agonized all of yesterday about if she should even ask if they could talk… but he did say he was always available if she ever needed someone to talk to. He was also probably the only person in the universe who she could talk to about it.

That still didn't make it any easier for her to begin.

A strong gust of wind filled the air with the sound of rattling branches, blowing some of her blue hair into her face as she looking around. The sun had set long ago; the people of New Atlantis accustomed to Jemison's 48-hour days were content being out and about illuminated by streetlights. The abundance of trees that dotted the MAST district gave it a naturalistic feeling, with the gentle chirping of insects and different xenobird species blending into the general hum of the crowd. It was all agonizingly familiar.

Looking up from the walkway, Zeffre glanced at Aquilus. He was a much taller, older man, with deep wrinkles and creases that didn't quite convey just how old he was. His stark white outfit caught the ambient light around them, drawing the attention of people as they passed by. He matched her gaze and gave her a kind smile.

Zeffre immediately went back to looking at the ground, blushing. She knew exactly what he was trying to do. He was trying to get her to speak first, knowing how much doing so bothered her.

She also knew that the man's patience was nigh infinite and that he was completely content with simply walking with her for as long as it took, even if they had to walk until the sun came back up.

"I joined the Vanguard yesterday," Zeffre muttered, gripping the hem of her coat. It wasn't really that interesting, but she felt the need to say something.

"Oh? Did you beat tier six in the simulator?" he asked with a slight teasing tone.

Her head shot up. "Of course I beat tier six! What? I mean, it would be harder for me not to," Zeffre said before realizing her tone and looking back down. "I mean… sorry."

"Zeffre, there is no need to apologize."

"I know it's just…," she looked back up at him, "I'm sorry."

Keeper Aquilus raised an eyebrow at her.

"Sor— agh! I mean… uh… Anyway, I've already got a new ship with some probationary orders to patrol around Alpha Cen. A Longsword," Zeffre said, slightly annoyed at how easy it was for him to fluster her like that.

"So, you've already got yourself a solid footing here? That's great!" Aquilus said. "Whenever starting a new cycle, I usually found it helpful to give myself some goal. Something to aim for. It really helps in feeling like I'm making progress towards something."

Zeffre nodded, biting the bottom of her lip. "I… uh… I didn't really want to just talk about the Vanguard," she said, stopping near a lamp.

Unholstering her pistol, Zeffre began fiddling with it. Toggling the safety, removing and inserting the magazine; any part that could move she moved just to keep her hands busy with something.

"I got the feeling that was the case. Just know that if it's something you don't want to talk about, we don't need to talk about it."

"I saw her yesterday with my pa—," Zeffre stopped, slamming the magazine back into the pistol with a metallic 'clunk'. "With her parents."

Keeper Aquilus looked at her, his eyes never moving to look at the pistol. He knew she liked to play with her weapon when thinking, and he had vastly more experience with weapons than she did. "How were they, if you don't mind me asking?"

Zeffre snapped the breach closed. "Happy. They were out eating lunch together and they looked… happy."

"And how do you feel? Are you okay?"

She aimed the sight at a nearby tree. "Yeah. I did surprisingly well, actually," Zeffre said, putting a finger on one of three silver metal squares near her left eye, "The neuroamp really helped with my anxiety: thanks for the suggestion by the way. It's just… is it wrong for me to feel jealous?"

"Jealousy is a perfectly reasonable emotional response to seeing another you with your parents. It's proof that you still care for them even after all this time. The real question is what did you do afterwards?"

"I went to join the Vanguard. I don't think I can handle the risk of accidentally meeting any one of them on the street," Zeffre said, reholstering her pistol. "I think it'll also be fun to go back out into the starfield, do some good."

She looked at the ground again, voice subdued. "Sorry if that wasn't anything important, I just really needed somebody to talk to and not many people would understand."

"Hm… I don't know about that. In my experience, people can surprise you with how much they are able to understand another's struggles, even if they don't have a direct reference to go off of," he said thoughtfully, stroking his chin. "If you just give them a chance, that is."

Zeffre gave him a flat look. "Even stories that no sane person should ever believe?"

"If they are your friends? Then yes. Even if our circumstances are a bit… fantastical—"

Zeffre let out a snort.

"There is enough there to prove some of it, and after a certain point, it really is just a question of faith."

"It's amazing how you are always able to bring a topic back to faith," Zeffre said.

"Let's consider the idea for just a moment and see where it goes." Aquilus said, holding up an index finger, "No matter how well one person knows someone else, there will always be some amount of information one person has that the other person does not. They cannot know objectively why one person performed some action; rather, what they can know is what the other person tells them is why they performed said action. Wouldn't it then follow that one must have faith in the other to tell them the truth?"

"It would, but you're philosophizing again," Zeffre said, smiling. Keeper Aquilus really liked to loop conversations back into philosophy if he was given the chance.

"You're right, but this conversation has given me an idea for a sermon…" he said, stroking his chin again, "Would you like to come with me to Terrabrew? I think some coffee might help in refining this idea."

Zeffre smirked. "Depends on who's buying."

"Well, we can work that out during the walk over there."

Zeffre laughed at how thoughtfully he said that.

Standing in front of the door to Team RWBY's room Zeffre took a deep breath. She could do this. She needed to do this. That conversation with Weiss was enough to finally show her that she was getting too attached to her fr—… these people. Weiss's kindness was misplaced in her, but it was okay because she had a perfect plan on how to handle this situation.

This was step one. She would go in there, tell Weiss in front of everyone that she couldn't be Zeffre's friend. Weiss would then rightly get mad at her especially since everyone else would be watching.

Zeffre ignored her heart tightening at the thought. It was selfish, but this way would hurt less in the long run.

Then she would go see Ozpin and convince him that she didn't need to be part of a team. That she could be just as effective alone. That way there would be no chance she would accidentally form a close connection like she was dangerously close to doing now.

She nodded her head. It was the perfect plan. Or, at least, she thought so. She couldn't remember if she had ever gotten this close to someone after becoming Starborn besides Keeper Aquilus, but that didn't matter. Her plan was perfect.

Zeffre opened the door and stepped inside.

Only Weiss and Ruby were there. 'Crap.'

"Weiss I need to tell you something," Zeffre said, her voice level. She needed to keep her voice level.

Blinking, Weiss stood up from her bed and walked over to her. "Okay? What do you need to tell me?"

Zeffre took a deep breath. She could do this. "Weiss you cannot be my friend."

"Excuse me?"

"I cannot have you speak to me, and—"

"Who do you think you are?" Weiss said, indignantly. "First off, you have absolutely no right to tell me what to do." Weiss said, jabbing a finger into Zeffre's chest. "Secondly, I will be friends with whoever I want to be friends with."

Zeffre met her gaze, watching as she scowled at her. It hurt, but the pain would dull and fade with time. Eventually she—

"And thirdly, you are my friend. End of discussion."

She bit the inside of her cheek. "Weiss you can't be my friend," Zeffre said, wincing as her voice wavered. This was already falling apart. "You don't understand—"

"What I understand is that my friend came into my room demanding that we are no longer friends, talking formally in a flat voice that I know is not how she normally talks." Weiss said, taking a step towards Zeffre. "I understand when she is saying something she doesn't mean, and I also understand that her saying something like that would be incredibly painful."

Zeffre took a step back. She couldn't let Weiss hug her again.

"Zeffre?"

Looking at Ruby, Zeffre could feel her throat tightening up. Her silver eyes were wide, expression a mix of confusion, fear… she looked like she was about to cry.

Zeffre hated herself for that. For making the two of them feel this way for her. She couldn't look at them.

"I'm sorry… I just…"

Zeffre teleported back to her room. Lowering herself to the floor she could already feel tears running down her face. "Damnit…"

Cycling the bolt on Veiled Night Zeffre could feel metal scraping against metal. The bolt was also slightly bent.

This was something she could deal with. The problem was tangible. Real. She knew how to handle real things. Take out an enemy base? Clear out a hostile nest of creatures? Escort a VIP? Those were all things that had clearly defined measurements for success.

Have a friend knowing it will hurt her in the end? Knowing that she will absolutely outlive them? That no matter what she does, not matter how desperately she wished it wasn't the case, she'll eventually be alone again?

Sniffling, Zeffre wiped her nose on her sleeve, adjusting herself on her bed. She was usually so careful in avoiding these kinds of connections. She knew how to get along with people while maintaining a distance to where their loss wouldn't affect her, but here… It almost felt intentional.

Transforming Veiled Night into its Ōdachi form filled the room with the screech of metal against metal. The cobalt blue blade was bent. Her weapon was falling apart. It wasn't designed for how she fought; the amount of force she could exert.

Almost all the other students at Beacon had designed and built their own weapons specifically to fit their needs. Zeffre had no idea where she would even begin in modifying Veiled Night for herself.

She didn't know what she wanted.

There was a flash of white light somewhere deeper in her room. Zeffre didn't bother to look up; she didn't care right now who it was.

"Well, so this is where you've been holding up since getting here," The Hunter said, his voice heavily distorted as usual. "You know, I shouldn't be surprised that you'd somehow find your way to Beacon. Ozma is an expert at manipulation."

Zeffre looked up. He was wearing the same black armor she had with a tattered cloak covering the upper body, reflective helmet slowly scanning her room as he stood in the center of her room. His posture was leisure, as it normally was.

"Hey." Zeffre said, her own voice subdued. It wasn't really a question of 'if' but 'when' he would show up. Her brow furrowed a bit. "Who?"

"Heh… Don't worry about it. Anyway, I expected to be greeted by either dead silence or something brash, and all I get is 'hey'? And after how we parted in my previous universe too. Honestly I'm a little hurt." he said, putting a hand over his heart in mock shock.

"How did we last part in your last cycle?"

"You killed me."

"Ha!" Zeffre said, snickering at his admission.

The Hunter slumped his shoulders. "You see, that? That is more the Zeffre I'm used to."

Zeffre sat up a little straighter to look up at him.

"Anyway, looks like I was right. I knew that you passing through the Unity would cause things to change. At first it was only ripples, but this?" he said, holding out his arms as if gesturing at nothing in particular. "This is beyond my wildest expectations."

She smiled at him. "I know right? Everything here is so new… Not knowing how to start a new cycle, where the best place to get established is, who the people are. It's exciting."

The Hunter hummed as he slowly walked around her room, each step serving as a punctuation that marked the end of the momentary silence. "Any chance I can convince you to work with me this time around?"

Zeffre raised an eyebrow. "Are you still going to make a play for the Artifacts? Even when we have an entirely new kind of universe to experience?"

Approaching one of the walls, the Hunter pulled one of her drawings off.

Zeffre gripped Veiled Night a little tighter.

"I am just a man," he said absently, staring at her drawing. "I can see why you're miserable."

"I am not miserable!"

The Hunter scoffed. "Please. You look pathetic; less like an experienced Starborn and more like a scared little schoolgirl wishing her parents were there to tell her everything would be alright. Do you want to know what your problem is?"

"What?" Zeffre said, a little too forcefully.

He waved her drawing at her. "This. All of this," he said, gesturing around her room before pointing at her, "and that scarf."

Zeffre reflexively grabbed her navy-blue scarf. Even in the dim light of her room the simplified symbol of the Sanctum Universum shown, it's golden thread adept at drawing attention.

"You can't honestly believe Aquilus, right?"

"I mean… before coming here he was helping me…"

"With what? Becoming more like him?" the Hunter said. "And look where that's gotten you. Here you are wallowing in self-pity, surrounded by images of a past you know you can never go back to."

Zeffre winced at the sound of tearing paper.

Hunter walked over to her. "You know these feelings are pointless. That these people here can be easily replaced. They don't matter."

"But… wh—"

"They don't matter." he said. Zeffre could feel him staring at her. "The only thing that truly matters, the thing that tangibly carries over with us through the Unity, are our own powers. That is real. Are you listening?"

Zeffre nodded.

She heard the sound of him removing his helmet. "Good. Now, let's try this one more time." he said. Without the distortion his voice was kind. Warm. Familiar.

"Do you want to team up with me this cycle? Together we could easily gather the Artifacts here while also learning more about this world." he said, resting a hand on her shoulder. "You don't even need to say anything. Just hand over your scarf and I can incinerate it. It will only take a moment, and afterwards you will be free."

Zeffre could taste blood as she focused on the pain from her biting her lip. She shouldn't have been surprised. The Hunter was a title given to Starborn who hunted solely after the Artifacts. She knew that anyone could've been under that helmet.

She sat perfectly still, not trusting herself to move. If she moved she was going to give in. It would be so much easier for her to just hand it over. To embrace her consequence free existence and do whatever she wanted. To no longer feel this pain. To be numb to it all.

'That's why we're all here isn't it? To help people?'

Zeffre winced at the memory. At how earnest Ruby had sounded. She could still remember how happy she had been that night.

The Hunter sighed. "How about this. I'll give you until Thursday to think about my offer. No rush, it's not like either of us are getting any older." he said, chuckling as he moved to stand up.

Zeffre nodded. She needed time to think.

"Zeffre."

She looked up at him. He was standing in the center of her room, helmet sliding back over his head. "I meant what I said about these drawings. Those feelings, those memories? They will only hurt you. So let me do you a favor."

Zeffre only had a second to conjure a shield of cosmic light before a wave of plasma passed by her. She closed her eyes. The temperature in her room was excruciatingly hot, the scent of scorched wood filled the air. He had only used a low intensity pulse, but it was enough.

"I'll be back in four days to ask again. If you still feel the same way I can try removing some of your… other connections. Rip the band aid off for you." he said.

She kept her eyes closed. Intellectually she knew her room was destroyed, that her drawings were incinerated… but knowing and seeing were two separate feelings.

"Take care Zeffre."

Zeffre flinched. Somewhere down the hall another team's door slammed closed.

'This thing is unreasonably large,' Zeffre thought to herself as she looked up at Veiled Night's barrel. She had transformed it into its rifle form a while ago, the sound it made a reminder that something was fundamentally broken inside.

Sitting on the floor she cradled the rifle in her arms, back against the wall. The rifle was almost as long as she was tall with a scope she never even used. It being chambered in 20mm was also excessive; anything this weapon couldn't kill in one shot she could simply remove with plasma. The magazine's size was also far too small at only three rounds.

Resting her head along the length of the barrel, Zeffre closed her eyes. Veiled Night was a deeply impractical weapon… so why did she get it in the first place? Logically, a rifle with a fire selector would be more effective. Something that was mass produced and chambered in a common cartridge would've been best. Instead, she had chosen to get an expensive, unique weapon that practically shot money.

She looked around from her spot on the floor. The hallway was empty but bright. She had gotten sick of staring at her scorched room a while ago. Now here she was, sitting outside the door to her friends' rooms, cradling her broken weapon. She didn't really have anywhere else to go.

A creek in the walls made Zeffre flinch again. Each noise sounded as if their door would open. She didn't know what she'd do when that eventually happened.

Zeffre ejected the magazine from Veiled Night. She had been periodically checking to make sure the weapon was unloaded.

The thought of her actually giving up her weapon… hurt. Being honest with herself, she liked it because it was impractical. She liked how it stood out, how it was her first major purchase after arriving on Remnant… At how it was unequivocally hers.

She took in a deep breath, closing her eyes. The clean air of the hallway was far more pleasant than the tainted air in her now destroyed room. She hadn't meant for it to get into such a broken state. Things had just sort of… happened. Zeffre had thought she could just put off getting it repaired, that it would be fine until later, but now later had arrived.

She exhaled.

"Uh… Zeffre?"

Cracking open an eye Zeffre looked up. "Hey Jaune. What's up?" she asked. He was wearing his armor, covered in grime and sweat. "You look exhausted."

There was a solid clunk as Jaune leaned against the wall, sliding down to sit next to her. "I am exhausted."

Zeffre hummed, closing her eye again.

"Zeffre?"

"Hm?"

"Are you okay?"

Without lifting her head from Veiled Night, Zeffre lethargically looked at Jaune. "Why do you ask?"

"You're sitting in the hall outside your team's room, and, uh… it looks like you've been crying," he said watching her, his own blue eyes filled with obvious concern.

Zeffre gave him another non-committal hum. Seeing someone look at her like that felt... wrong. People feeling concern for her? It was absurd.

"So… are you okay?"

"Not really." she said, one hand playing with the empty magazine she ejected earlier. "Today's been a pretty awful day." She shook her rifle. "Veiled Night is broken."

Jaune blinked. "Oh. That sucks."

"It is what it is," Zeffre said, shrugging.

"Can you fix it?"

The magazine fell out of her hand, clattering onto the tile floor. "Not without help. It's more of a question of do I want to spend all the time and effort fixing it," Zeffre said, picking it back up. "I could just get a new weapon."

Jaune reached over and lightly bumped her shoulder with a fist. "Well, I for one think you should fix it."

Zeffre raised an eyebrow. "And why is that?"

"For one, it is a massive cannon, which is just generally cool," Jaune said, holding up a finger before raising a second. "And for two, you and Ruby have cornered the market on 'short girls with large guns.' Without you, who will compete with Ruby? She'll have a monopoly!" he said, throwing his arms up at the thought.

She began laughing. "You're right. Without me she'd have a monopoly and be able to do… something."

"Exactly!" Jaune exclaimed, grinning as he gestured around, "Something could be anything!"

Zeffre smiled. Did she really want to give this up?

Moving to get to her feet, Zeffre used Veiled Night as a makeshift crutch. She needed help. Ruby was someone she knew who could figure out what was wrong with Veiled Night, and how to fix it. Before asking for help she would tell her friends everything.

"Hey Jaune? Thanks for stopping to talk with me. I… I really appreciate it." Zeffre said smiling, her voice wavering for a moment.

"You're welcome. I mean, what else are friends for?" Jaune said, giving Zeffre a tired smile.

'And thirdly, you are my friend. End of discussion.' Zeffre recalled from earlier that day, placing the magazine back into her rifle. She didn't understand why Weiss was so adamant about being her friend, but she was willing to put her faith in her. In them.

Her future pain would be future her's problem.

Author's Note:

I'm so happy I chose to start writing with such a simple story with a straightforward plot and simple characters.
Oh, if anyone didn't catch it, the first scene is a flashback.

Last edited:
Zeffre/Saffre Height
Height: 5'0" (1.51 m)

This is a retcon. She was originally going to be taller than Ruby and shorter than Yang, but I really solidified the image of Saffre during her time with Neo because the two of them were so close. Neo is very short (4"10') and my mental image of them has Saffre only being slightly taller than her. I'll go back (eventually) and adjust the moments where Zeffre's height is mentioned to reflect this.

This is not important information, but I'll be using it later in jokes and comments. I didn't want anyone to be confused.

(This does mean though that Zeffre is shorter than Ruby, which is incredibly funny especially considering the weapon she uses.)

"What I have heard and seen about you has made me believe that your talents are wasted acting as a vigilante of the night, and I would like to ask you a question", he said staring back into her eyes. "Would you like to kill monsters."

"Yes", her response was immediate.

"In that case I would like to make you an offer. Would you like to join my school and learn how to protect people from the creatures that stalk the night?"

"Absolutely."

I know I'm late to the party, but damn did Ozpin do a great job of nailing that recruitment. Very well done.

Quick question I'd love feedback on:
How are people feeling about Zeffre's sad girl arc? (I swear it emotionally gets better.)

I don't know how well this comes across in the chapter itself, but Zeffre isn't afraid of rejection. She's afraid of forming true connections with others because she knows that one day she will wake up alone again.

The idea is that before this point she was friendly but distant. Weiss's hug triggered her into realizing how much she was growing attached to these people, and chapter 20 was her trying to manage it alone (Also the Hunter shows up to really rub salt in the wound).

Chapter 21: Maintenance Part 1
"And so… yeah. I'm a weird space person from a different universe," Zeffre said, hugging Veiled Night to her chest. "Uh… hi."

She didn't expect them to understand. Her thumb stroked the smooth onyx black frame of her rifle, the metal warm from her body heat.

'They'll probably be interested more in the Artifacts.'

It was a fair thought. Her powers come from the Artifacts and Temples; it only made sense for people to focus in on those aspects of her story. In her experience people loved to learn more about where she got her powers and what she could do.

"So, you're like a superhero?!" Ruby said.

Zeffre blinked. "What."

Leaping off her bed, Ruby rushed over, eyes wide with glee. "You come from space, have sparkly magical powers, and fight evil. You're totally a superhero!"

"I am definitely not a hero…," Zeffre said, face heating up. This was different.

"That's what a superhero would say!" Ruby all but shouted, squealing in delight with a massive grin on her face. "That's so cool!"

"Ruby. Inside voice please," Weiss said, staring evenly at Zeffre.

'Uh…'

Yang strolled over, giving Zeffre a playful grin. "Hm… You're right, Superhero might be a bit dramatic. 'Space Wizard' sounds more accurate."

"I'm really not a hero," Zeffre said. "Seriously, I just like to hel—Yang!"

Without a word Yang picked up Zeffre as if she weighed nothing. "Ya know, considering you're a Starperson, you weigh like 100 pounds at most wet."

Blake let out a quiet laugh.

Zeffre's eye twitched. "Starborn. Put me down." she said, holding onto her rifle with her free arm.

"You're more like a zesty child," Yang said, smirking.

Zeffre went limp. She was Starborn. She had been to hundreds of different universes, fought her way to the Unity just as many times. In her travels she has been called many things, most commonly an angel considering the way her abilities look and her connection to what many people call the divine. 'Zesty child…' Never. Not once. Has she ever been called anything like a 'zesty child.'

"Oh! Do you have a secret identity?" Ruby asked the suspended Zeffre.

"I… um… no…," Zeffre stammered out. These people were weird.

Yang pulled her into a crushing hug, Zeffre still gripping to Veiled Night. "Aww! I've never seen you so flustered before; you look adorable!"

Zeffre collapsed into starlight, appearing next to Ruby gasping for air.

"That's so cool!" Ruby exclaimed, giving a little hop while Zeffre took in deep draughts of air.

"Why is that cool? You already knew I could teleport," Zeffre said, carefully watching a grinning Yang who had a playful glint in her eyes. If she needed to, she could hide on top of Ruby's bed. Preserve the high ground.

Ruby nodded her head. "Yeah, but before I just thought you had a Semblance not superpowers!"

"What… What's the difference?" Zeffre asked. To her Semblance's were magic.

"They're just different." Ruby stated, nodding her head.

"Right…," Zeffre began slowly, unable to find any flaws with her detailed and insightful reasoning.

Bringing Veiled Night back to her chest Zeffre looked at the four of them.

Ruby had an innocent smile, her silver eyes filled with excitement as she stared at Zeffre.

Yang's smile was more playful, her lilac eyes having a mischievous glint in them.

Blake's expression was harder to read. Zeffre could see that she had questions, but she was also giving her a small, kind smile.

Weiss looked concerned; pale blue eyes meeting her own with an expression Zeffre couldn't understand.

Zeffre could feel her heart pounding in her chest. 'What is this?' Taking a step back she started breathing through her mouth, trying to get a breath. This wasn't how people reacted to her. Ever. Why were they looking at her like that? What was going on?

She didn't deserve this. These looks. This compassion.

"Zeffre?" Ruby said, taking a step towards her.

Zeffre took another step back, eyes wide. What are they doing? Wh—

Zeffre's cheek twitched.

Blinking, Zeffre stood up straight, lowering Veiled Night to rest against the floor. "Sorry about that," she said, voice flat.

They were all staring at her, which was okay. It didn't matter.

"Anyway, Ruby can I ask a favor?" Zeffre asked, her speech stilted.

The red girl was giving her a look. "Are… are you okay?"

"Of course I am! I just was having a moment is all," Zeffre said. She needed to make an effort to put some enthusiasm into her voice, but it wasn't too hard. She could choose how she sounded if she needed to.

Red's look was less intense now. "Are you sure?"

Zeffre gave her a well-practiced smile. "Absolutely."

"Alright…," Red said slowly before shaking her head, broad smile on her face. "I'll do it." she said, giving Zeffre a thumbs up.

Zeffre tilted her head. "You don't even know what the favor is yet."

"Doesn't matter." Red said.

"Thank you." Zeffre said. "Can you take a look at Veiled Night for me? It's having a lot of problems."

Red enthusiastically nodded her head, silver eyes lightening up as she looked up at the massive rifle in Zeffre's arms. "I'd love to!"

Zeffre handed the rifle over, smiling.

Finger off the trigger, the red girl aimed the rifle at an empty space in their room. Silently humming, she then tried to cycle the bolt, which made an audible scrapping sound. "Huh…" In a single fluid motion she then flipped the rifle, inspecting its underside and blade. "Pretty gnarly bent in the blade… there is some chips and rolling of the edge too… hm…"

Ejecting the magazine, Red then placed the large rifle onto the floor of their room, the polished onyx black of the frame reflecting the light. She then walked over to her and Weiss's bunk bed and removed a large dark red toolbox from under the bed.

Sitting opposite from her, Zeffre watched as Red unscrewed a plate from Veiled Night's frame near the receiver.

Each gear inside of Veiled Night was made up of a polished blued metal with intricate engravings directly on the parts. The individual screws holding the components together were a polished silver, with tiny blue and pink gems placed over certain pivots. It was an intricate dance of mechanical parts that came together to allow the weapon to properly transform. The closest thing Zeffre could compare the internals to was a pocket watch movement.

Zeffre felt nothing.

"It's absolutely beautiful…," the red girl whispered. "The amount of care they put into parts that nobody would even see…" She pointed her screwdriver at an engraving on a counterbalance: 'Sapphire & Vanilla'. "This is a Sapphire and Vanilla…" she said quietly.

Zeffre nodded her head. "Yes. They were the only place in Vale that sold a twenty-millimeter rifle," she stated.

Red continued to stare at the engraving. "…Thank you."

"You're welcome." Zeffre said. She didn't know why Red was thanking her. Someone tapped her on the shoulder.

Looking up she found White looking down at her with a neutral expression. "Zeffre, could we talk in private?"

"Of course Weiss!" she said, jumping to her feet, voice filled with manufactured enthuisiasm. "Ruby we'll be right back."

Red removed another plate from Veiled Night.

The blond girl patted her on the shoulder. "She can't hear you; she's in the zone."

Zeffre shrugged. It didn't matter.

Turning, Zeffre gave White a practiced bright grin. "Lead the way."

----​

White led the two of them to the roof of their dorm.

The air was heavy, saturated with water from light showers earlier that day. Through the clouds rays of moonlight peaked through.

Zeffre looked down, patiently waiting to be addressed. She could hear White moving to stand directly in front of her.

"Are you okay?" White asked, her voice soft.

Zeffre immediately looked up, making sure to make eye contact before speaking. "Of course Weiss. Is there any problem?" If there was a problem she would correct it.

"Zeffre… please tell me what's wrong," White said, pale blue eyes watering.

Zeffre hand twitched. Why was White upset? "Nothing's wrong." She stated, smiling. Smiling usually worked.

White let out a shuddering breath. Wiping her eyes with her sleeve, she then gave Zeffre a firm look. "Fine. Earlier today, what happened?"

Zeffre shrugged. "Midafternoon I attempted to distance myself from you and the rest of the team. Then I contemplated my damaged weapon. Then The Hunter incinerated my room. Then I sat in my scorched room for a few hours. Then I sat in the hallway. Then I talked to Jaune. Then—"

Zeffre immediately stopped as White held up her hand. "What happened to your room?"

"The Hunter, an older more experienced Starborn, used a low intensity pulse of plasma to lightly incinerate my room," Zeffre told her smiling. It was nice to finally answer a straightforward question.

White's eyes were wide. "Wha— why would he do that?"

Zeffre smiled. "He viewed my drawings as me torturing myself, clinging to a past that is meaningless." She shrugged. "He also most likely wanted me to break so that I would agree to follow him again."

Stepping forward, White put both of her hands on Zeffre's shoulders. "Zeffre! Please tell me what's wrong. You're starting to scare me," she pleaded, sounding desperate.

Zeffre frowned. Nothing was objectively wrong… Maybe she was asking for her to better explain what Zeffre was? That way she'll understand why her compassion was misplaced.

"I think the best way to tell this is in the form of a story," Zeffre said, trying to give White a reassuring smile. "Save you some time."

Zeffre took a breath. "Once upon a time, a young Starborn named Servant went to go see her old friends. These people weren't really her old friends, she had left them behind in her original universe, but rather they were variations of them. Same but distinct. They wouldn't know her, but that was okay because she was determined to get to know them again. One of her friends, Sarah, was murdered in her original universe and Servant rightly blames herself for her death." Zeffre paused, smiling. "It was her fault after all."

"Before going to see her friends Servant removed her Starborn armor, wearing regular clothes instead. She didn't want them to know what she was, instead she just wanted it to be like old times."

"Arriving at the place where her friends were based usually, Servant took a deep breath and entered, only to find everything was in disarray. Tables overturned, splintered wood strewn about the polished floor, a strong scent of ozone and blood filling the air," Zeffre's hand started shaking, smelling ozone, "and this universe's version of Sarah bleeding out in the middle of the foyer. Panicking, Servant ran over to her to try and stop the bleeding, but Sarah was still conscious. Her eyes were filled with hatred. Sarah told her how Servant had killed everyone. All of her friends."

Zeffre blinked. Her eyes were wet. "Servant then got to watch her friend die in her arms. Again."

"Hands shaking, Servant was confused. She had just got there. She hadn't killed them. None of this was making any sense. Then, above her on the second-floor balcony overlooking the foyer another Starborn decloaked. It was a different version of Servant. She had killed them all." Zeffre smirked. "Meaning she actually did kill them. This version of Servant had wanted to try something different this time around."

"This other Servant then murdered her, and Servant was reborn in a different universe alone on her ship remembering everything."

Zeffre shrugged. "After that, Servant was borderline catatonic. She didn't need to eat or drink, so she just stayed there in her ship in orbit around some moon for a long time. Eventually, The Hunter found her. At this point she had no will, no desire to do anything anymore, and he decided to give her something to do. She would at least perform actions and help him if he ordered her to do so."

Zeffre looked into White's eyes. She was crying. "And ever since that point Servant began following others. Initially she only followed The Hunter because he was the one who knew about her, but as she entered more universes more Starborn became aware of her utility. She became known as 'The Servant'."

Zeffre tilted her head, smiling. "Does that answer your question?"

White pulled Zeffre into a gentle, desperate hug.

Zeffre's face twitched.

"Weiss, you might be misunderstanding the moral of that story," Zeffre said, laughing a little. She knew better than to try removing herself from the hug, but White's compassion was misplaced.

"No, I'm not." White said, her voice muffled in Zeffre's scarf. She could feel warm tears on her neck.

Zeffre shook her head. "Servant not only let her friends die, but she murdered them. She isn't some tragic victim in this story," she said, shrugging her shoulders as if that would remove Wei— White.

White didn't let go.

Zeffre blinked rapidly. "Servant has also done terrible things," she pleaded. 'This is ridiculous!' "She's killed thousands of people! She's ruined people's lives! Murdered people!" she shouted, placing her hands on White's arms, not applying force.

Weiss hugged her tighter.

"God dammit Weiss, stop!" Zeffre shouted, tears now flowing down her face, knees shaking. 'What is she doing!'

"No."

The two girls crumpled down onto the wet surface of the roof. Sobbing, Zeffre hugged Weiss back.

Zeffre buried her face into Weiss's shoulder, hugging her tighter. She hated that she felt this way. Ashamed that she could even feel this sorry for herself. Guilt at Weiss's misplaced empathy. She did not deserve this kind of compassion from anyone… Most of all, she hated how safe she felt at this moment, crying in her friends' arms. She didn't deserve this.

Some time passed; Zeffre didn't know how long. Her legs were numb. She didn't want to let her go.

Sniffling, Weiss pulled back first to look at Zeffre, still holding her.

Zeffre reluctantly pulled herself back to look at Weiss.

Both girls' eyes were red from crying with Zeffre's deep cobalt blue eyes looking up at Weiss's pale blues.

"Why," Zeffre managed to choke out, voice hoarse. Why did she hug her. Why didn't she let her go. She meant many things in that simple 'why'.

Weiss squeezed her slightly. "Because you're my friend."

"That's a stupid reason," Zeffre said, laughing bitterly.

Weiss pulled her back into the hug, Zeffre's head resting against her shoulder. "Tough."

Zeffre closed her eyes. On occasion she wondered what Heaven was like. If it existed, she would never see it. Her relationship with religion and the concept of God was… complicated. She shifted slightly in Weiss's arms, focusing on the warmth of her body heat against the cool damp air surrounding them. Weiss was wearing perfume; a faint floral scent that had mostly faded at this point. Zeffre imagined Heaven would be like this moment: warm and safe.

"We'll need to get back soon," Weiss murmured.

She didn't deserve this feeling, but Zeffre never wanted this moment to end. Reluctantly, she let Weiss go.

Both of them moved to stand up on shaky legs, each catching themselves on the other to help them stand.

Weiss gently held Zeffre's hand. "Come on… We need to get cleaned up first."

Zeffre nodded, blushing faintly at her touch, noting how soft her hand felt.

Weiss was weird.

----​
Author's Note:

Originally this chapter was going to be over 7k words in length, but emotionally that felt weird because the later parts are a lot less heavy than this one.
Anywho, expect the next part in a few days from this one. It is mostly done, but I need to adjust the emotion a bit. Next part is about Zeffre and Ruby working together.

Oh, also, I'm taking suggestions for what Veiled Night should transform into after they repair it. I've no idea on what it should be yet, but it definitely needs to change (while still being a 20mm cannon).

Last edited:
Chapter 22: Maintenance Part 2
Ruby shot up in her bed. It was still dark outside.

'I forgot to check the bearings!' Ruby thought. A faint sound of crinkling paper could be heard as she threw her red covers off. Feeling around in the dark she quickly found her pen and some paper, jotting down 'For. Ch. VN Bearings! Imp.!' In her shorthand.

Twirling her pen around her thumb in the dark Ruby started shuffling in her bed. She needed to get up. Normally she wouldn't be up this early, but she needed to work on Veiled Night! It was important, not only for her friend, but for herself.

Carefully, very carefully, Ruby climbed down from her bunkbed, the bed swaying slightly from her movements as she tried to be as quiet as possible. She absolutely, positively, did not want to wake Weiss up.

Creeping to the door of their room, notebook and pen in hand, Ruby passed by Zeffre's bed, her heart clenching as she did so. Last night when Weiss and Zeffre had come back from their conversation they both had looked so terrible. Weiss hadn't told them what they'd talked about, but she did ask Yang to go find a bed for Zeffre. Something had happened to Zeffre's room.

Ruby bit her bottom lip. She didn't know what was wrong or how to help… That's why she needed to do her best work on Veiled Night. She would help in any way she could.

Stepping out into the hallway Ruby froze.

Sitting across from her team's room was a curled up Zeffre. She was sitting with her knees pulled up to her chest snoring silently. Weiss had given Zeffre one of her white nighgowns.

'Why is Zeffre sleeping in the hallway?'

Zeffre flinched, face scrunched up in pain.

Ruby walked over to stand in front of her friend. 'Is she having a nightmare?'

Zeffre let out a quiet whimper.

"Zeffre? Zeffre," Ruby said, shaking the blue haired girls' shoulder lightly. "Wake up."

"ngh…" Zeffre looked up at Ruby, dark bags around her eyes. "Oh. Hey Ruby, do you need something?" she asked, voice hoarse.

"Nope. You were having a nightmare," Ruby said. "Why are you sleeping in the hallway?"

A wry smile tugged at Zeffre's lips. "Because it's cozy."

Ruby tilted her head. "Huh, really? Well then," she said, sitting besides Zeffre in the same position. "Hm… It doesn't feel that cozy to me. Too cold." She said, smiling.

"It's an acquired taste," Zeffre said, shrugging her shoulders.

"Like black coffee?"

"Heh… yeah. Like black coffee," Zeffre said, smiling.

Nodding her head Ruby opened her Theoretical Weapons Almanac (a worn red notebook she used for working out ideas) and laid it out in front of her, reviewing her notes and ideas from last night. Yang said nobody could read her handwriting, but that wasn't true. She could read her own handwriting! Most of the time.

Zeffre sighed. "Isn't it too early for you to be doing schoolwork?"

"Not schoolwork," Ruby said absently, flipping a page. "Triple checking notes on Veiled Night to see if I missed anything."

"Wouldn't you rather go back to sleep?" Zeffre asked.

Ruby twirled her pen around her thumb. "Nope."

Zeffre raised an eyebrow. "Nope? Seriously?"

"Yup."

"Why?"

"Important."

"Why is it important," Zeffre said, exasperated.

"My friends' weapon is broken, and I want to help her fix it." Ruby said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Zeffre stared at Ruby silently for a few moments. "…Friend… heh," she said, Ruby noticing a slight cynicism in her voice.

Ruby stopped to look Zeffre in the eye, tilting her head slightly. "We are friends, right?"

"Of course we are…," Zeffre said carefully. "But… I mean, you could do so much better than me for a friend." She said, laughing. "I'm kind of a total mess."

Ruby blinked. "Nope."

Zeffre snorted.

"Why did you come to Beacon?" Ruby asked.

"To fight monsters, help people, and get paid," Zeffre said. "Not necessarily in that order," she added, smirking.

Ruby smirked right back. "Is the order help people, fight monsters, get paid?" Zeffre rarely lied, but she did like to try obscuring what she means at times.

Zeffre blushed lightly, the faint ting of red standing out harshly against her porcelain white skin. "Yeah…"

"So, wait. You mean to tell me that a funny, friendly, helpful, considerate, and cool person isn't good enough to be my friend?" Ruby asked. "I didn't think my standards were that high."

Zeffre's blush deepened.

'She needs something to cheer her up,' Ruby thought. She still didn't know exactly what was wrong, but she could tell Zeffre was still sad about something. Ruby gnawed on her pen, thinking. What could they do?

Snap "I got it!" Ruby exclaimed, shooting up to her feet. Reaching down she grabbed Zeffre's hand. "I know what'll cheer you up." She said, tugging the other girl to her feet before pulling her down the hall.

"Where are we going," Zeffre said, her laughter echoing down the hall as she let Ruby guide her.

"We're gonna go watch the sunrise."

----​

Two pairs of wet slippers squeaked down the empty tiled hallways of Beacon Academy as a red and blue blur ran. The sky outside was slowly shifting to orange; they didn't have much time.

"This way!" Ruby shouted, rounding the corner of the hallway, Zeffre in tow.

"Woah!" Zeffre yelped, laughing as she slid along the tile before quickly regaining her footing to keep up. The grass outside had been wet.

Ruby ran past a pair of glass doors that led outside. Abruptly stopping, she and Zeffre almost lost their balance as Ruby ran back to the doors leading outside to a patio area.

'Perfect!' From this spot they could see over the surrounding forest to the orange horizon, the sun still hanging below not yet ready to rise.

Letting go of Zeffre's hand, Ruby ran over to take a seat on the metal railing itself. They were high enough to have an unobstructed view.

Zeffre took the seat next to her, chuckling. "Did we really need to sprint here?" she asked, winded.

Ruby nodded. "We needed to find a good view before the sun came up," she said, smiling. It was nice to hear Zeffre's normal laughter.

A strong damp breeze rolled over the forest; the trees swaying as ripples on an endless emerald sea that stretched out before them. The previous nights rainclouds were mostly gone now, with a few flat streaks of grey still lingering. Off in the distance where the sky met the earth puffy white clouds shown with a brilliant orange light, already illuminated by the still hidden sun.

"Hey… Ruby?" her friend tentatively asked. "Can… Can I ask you a question?" Zeffre smirked. "Ya know, besides the question I just asked about asking you a question."

"Of course." Ruby said. "What's the question?"

Zeffre shrugged. "Oh, don't worry. It's nothing too complicated really." Zeffre scratched her cheek. "Just, well… What do you think the meaning of life is?"

Ruby blinked. "That's a weird question."

"What makes you say that?"

"It's just… well… I never really thought of life that way," Ruby said slowly. "As something that has some meaning I mean. I've kind of just accepted that life is, well, is."

Zeffre looked at her, brow furrowed. "What does that mean?"

Ruby looked up, trying to elaborate. "I think what I mean is that… your question assumes that life has some meaning in the first place. It's kind of like asking 'how much does nothing weigh', the question itself is weird."

"Then why do you want to help people?" Zeffre asked, still looking deeply confused.

"Because I want to help people." Ruby said.

Zeffre gave her a flat look. "You want to help people because you want to help people?"

"Yup," Ruby chirped, smiling broadly.

Zeffre laughed. "What a nice, circular, absurd reason…"

"Why do you want to help people?" Ruby asked.

Zeffre looked back out over the horizion. The sun was going to come up soon.

"Good question…," Zeffre muttered. "Because… this is going to sound stupid, but because it makes me feel… different."

"Different?"

Zeffre sheepishly scratched the back of her head. "Yeah, different. For most of my life I really didn't feel much of anything really; just sort of went through the motions doing what I was told. But, like, helping someone else? That makes me feel…" she trailed off as if she was struggling to find the right word.

"Happy?" Ruby asked.

Zeffre nodded. "Happy works."

Smirking, Ruby lightly shoved Zeffre. "And you say you're not a hero."

"I'm not a hero."

"Well of course you would say that," Ruby said, her voice teasing. "A hero never calls themselves a hero. It's something other people call them. I'm someone else, and I think you're a hero, so you're a hero."

A faint warmth on her cheek made Ruby turn back towards the horizon. The sun was coming up.

The sea of emerald became wreathed in rays of sunlight, the sun greeting the world signaling the dawn of a new day. Clouds near the horizon blazed in like molten gold, the color fading off into a comfortable orange before the rest of the sky was tinged a shade of pink.

"I never get tired of seeing sunrises," Zeffre whispered, eyes transfixed on the rising sun.

Ruby nodded. "When I was at Signal and had a bad day Yang would take me up to the roof to watch the sunrise," she said wistfully. "It always made me feel better. Like no matter what happens everything was going to be okay."

Zeffre took in a deep breath, hand stroking her emerald pendant. "Alright."

"Alright?" Ruby asked.

Zeffre nodded. "Alright."

Ruby nodded sagely. "Alright."

Zeffre fell backwards off the railing, landing on her feet. "Alright!" she shouted.

Ruby jumped to stand on the railing. "Alright!" she screamed.

"Hey!"

Ruby fell forward off the railing. Zeffre caught her.

Standing in the doorway was an older man wearing a janitor's uniform. "It's too early to be shouting," he said, looking annoyed.

Ruby and Zeffre blushed. "Sorry," they said in unison.

The janitor nodded. "Alright," he said, closing the door to the balcony leaving the two girls alone again.

Zeffre began snickering first. Ruby second.

"First order of business," Zeffre said before pointing a finger at Ruby. "You're a hero too."

Ruby couldn't help but blush at the declaration. "Well… I mean…"

"Shhh." Zeffre hushed her. "Too late. Secondly, let's get changed into, ya know, actual clothes." She said, gesturing down at her borrowed nightgown.

Ruby nodded. "And thirdly, fix Veiled Night!" she shouted before quickly covering her mouth. She'd forgotten what the janitor had said a few seconds ago.

One of their stomachs rumbled.

"Breakfast first?"

"Breakfast first."

----​

Author's Note:

Short but incredibly important chapter. It was a joy to write this.

This was a cery unexpected but also very good story to stumble upon.

I look forward to more!

I am curious if Roman and his little trio are going to end up completely missing the Festival and Cinder's shenanigans, if they'll pop back up where they left.

This was a cery unexpected but also very good story to stumble upon.

I look forward to more!

I am curious if Roman and his little trio are going to end up completely missing the Festival and Cinder's shenanigans, if they'll pop back up where they left.

Thank you!

While the idea of Roman, Neo, and Saffre having adventures in another universe for a while and coming back to an absolute mess is hilarious, I plan on having him and Cinder to have a different dynamic in this story moving forward. I think it'll be fun to have conflict in the antagonist group and it can lead to some interesting developments down the road. After all, Cinder will have no idea who Saffre is and Roman has no intention of telling her anything if he can get away with it. However, it just so happens that Zeffre looks exactly like Saffre and will have no idea who Cinder is at this point in the story. Who's to say that in the future Cinder can't have a chance encounter in Vale with Zeffre and make a new 'friend'.

Chapter 23: A Perfect Day New
Why was she here?

Sitting on the marble floor Zeffre considered the question. Normally at this point in a new universe she would be out gathering resources; guns, money, a new ship, stuff like that. The Settled Systems were large enough to where nobody would miss a few pirate bases and a pile of bodies after all.

She leaned back, helmet bouncing off the stone wall of the Sanctum Universum building.

None of those things would really be interesting. Fighting regular humans had long become boring, even when she appointed her own self-imposed challenges to make it more difficult for herself. Zeffre smirked at the memory of her using only swords in one universe, that had made things more entertaining at least.

"Hey. You," Zeffre said, the speakers on her helmet subtly distorting her voice as she spoke at a passing by Universalist, "nice hat."

The human stopped. "Thank you," she said, smiling as she continued on her way.

Zeffre sighed, "Yeah, keep walking," she muttered to herself, watching the human as she walked away.

There wasn't any particular reason she was antagonizing Sanctum members. Then again, there wasn't any particular reason for her to do much of anything really.

The Priest exited his office. He'd done that four times since she had arrived, walking around to talk to the Sanctum members, their conversations full of smiles and laughs. He was pushing a metal cart.

Zeffre watched as he pushed the cart over to her position against the wall, smiling at her as he gently put down a plate and some cups on the floor in front of her before sitting down on the floor opposite her.

"What."

The Priest poured some liquid out of an electric kettle into two cups. "I thought you might be hungry and Sabrina brough in some delicious snickerdoodles that I think you might like."

"Pfft… Are you going senile in your old age? I don't need to eat."

He smiled, taking a bite from one of the cookies. "No, I understand that you don't need to eat, but I find the act in itself to be delightful. Sweets and some nice hot tea to wash it down I find are a pleasant experience to enjoy, especially with others."

Was he serious? "You're probably wondering why I've decided to intrude on your little cult huh," Zeffre asked, smirking under her helmet.

"I don't think I'd agree with your use of the word 'cult', but that would more depend on your definition of cult." The Priest took a sip of his tea, contemplating her obvious jab before shrugging, "Linguistics and interpersonal communication are funny that way aren't they? Two people can say the exact same thing, but depending on the person they could mean two completely different things." He placed down his teacup. "Oh, I'm sorry I didn't answer your question did I?" he smiled. "The Sanctum is open to anyone who would like to enter, and you are no exception."

Zeffre stared at The Priest. This conversation was already starting to get annoying. "I could be here to kill everyone," she said, smiling under her helmet. "It wouldn't even take more than a minute." She leaned forward. "Just imagine the news on SSNN, 'Massacre at the Temple' would be the headline," she said, gesturing with her left hand. "Burnt corpses and a smoldering building being all that remains of the original Sanctum Universum building on New Atlantis." She laughed. "It'd be one hell of a story."

The Priest took another sip from his teacup. "While I agree with you that would definitely make the news…"

Zeffre's eye twitched at his look of contemplation.

"… I don't think you're here to do anything like that."

"Then why do you think I'm here," Zeffre growled. Internally she was surprised at how much venom she put into the question.

"I have no idea why you're here. Do you?"

Zeffre stared intently at him. "If I eat your food will you leave me alone?"

The Priest smiled. "For now. I really do think you will enjoy the snickerdoodles."

Grunting, Zeffre removed her helmet, cobalt blue hair flowing down her back. She made no attempt to hide her scowl at The Priest. "Fine."

----​

"…So, then I motion everyone to be quiet," Zeffre said, walking backwards on the sidewalk. "Something was wrong. Looking through the wall I could see someone pushing a cart had just entered the range. Now remember, technically we are breaking and entering," she said, laughing. "Gathering our things, I go over to a window and motion everyone to go and," she giggled, "and Ruby goes out clutching Crescent Rose looking terrified—"

"I was nervous!" Ruby said, face bright red.

Zeffre grinned at the two of them. "And, right before I am able to get outside, I hear someone shout 'Hey' from behind." She waved her hand. "At that point we all start sprinting away from the range, me and Yang laughing like crazy, Blake's smiling, and Ruby," she let out another giggle, "Ruby is so scared of getting caught she uses her Semblance to cross the field! From a janitor!" Zeffre lost it, stopping in her tracks to double over laughing.

Weiss covered her mouth with a hand, trying and failing to control her own laughter.

Ruby nodded her head sagely, face still red from embarrassment. "Okay maybe I overreacted in that last part," she admitted, making Zeffre laugh even harder.

As Zeffre's laughter quieted into light giggles she fell back, standing beside Weiss and allowing Ruby to continue leading the way.

Around them the commercial district was alive with activity. Delivery trucks and cars passed by them while the trio weaved through the crowded sidewalks; the aroma of different street vendor carts filled the air with a savory sweet scent that made Zeffre's mouth water. Above them an airship flew low over the city, momentarily casting the street into shadow before the late morning sun reasserted itself.

Today was a brilliant, outstanding, amazing, stupendous, some other adverb. Zeffre was feeling amazing, especially when compared to how she felt yesterday.

It really was a perfect day.

Ruby and Weiss had changed out into their more casual clothes for the trip, with Ruby wearing her red and black dress while Weiss wore her elegant white dress.

Zeffre just wore her Beacon uniform. She got some odd looks from people on the street.

"So… that is how you got detention on your first day," Weiss said, smirking as Zeffre's laughter quieted into light giggles.

Zeffre scratched her cheek. "Heh… yeah, fun fact, I'm the only person at Beacon Academy that uses a rifle chambered in twenty-millimeter. Would've been good to know that before I left all of my spent casings behind."

The trio walked the sidewalks of Vale following their intrepid leader as she led them on their journey. Walking past a newsstand, Zeffre took a cursory glance over the front page. She stopped immediately.

Grabbing a newspaper Zeffre dropped a Lien card on the stand and continued walking, staring at the headline.

"Miss! Don't you want your change," A voice shouted from behind her.

Zeffre ignored the voice, staring at the picture taking up the front page of the paper. It was of an old man in a business suit posing against the backdrop of a city, hair snow white with a matching goatee. She recognized this man.

Slayton Peridot Making Moves into Vale

"Zeffre?"

"Huh," Zeffre muttered, scanning the article. 'What a weird coincidence…'

Weiss poked her on the shoulder. "I didn't know you took the news so seriously."

"I usually don't." Zeffre said, looking back up. 'It's probably nothing,' she thought, putting the newspaper in a trashcan as they walked by.

"Hm." Weiss glanced at Zeffre. "We're getting you an actual outfit after this."

"What do you mean? I've got my uniform?" Zeffre said.

"A school uniform is not an outfit," Weiss said. "We need to get something that is more… you."

"I… guess?" Zeffre said. She didn't mind getting new clothes, she was just happy that Weiss had decided to join her and Ruby for their parts hunting trip in Vale.

They were technically not skipping classes, a version of Weiss, Ruby, and Zeffre were at Beacon, just not these versions. Yang and Blake had to stay behind because Zeffre could only summon three duplicates. She had no idea how Guardian Fionn was able to do it.

Zeffre loved abusing her Starborn powers.

"We also need to get you a haircut," Weiss stated.

Zeffre grasped a lock of her blue hair protectively, aghast. "What's wrong with my hair?"

Weiss gave her a flat look. "It looks like you cut your own hair," she said evenly.

Zeffre tilted her head slightly. "That's because I do cut my own hair…" she said, brow furrowing. Why would that be a problem?

Stopping, Zeffre looked at her reflection in a glass storefront window. Her hair was a little over shoulder length with a jagged edge, the cobalt blue flecked with the occasional streak of silver with a larger tuft of silver hair running down her bangs.

"Exactly," Weiss sighed, putting her hands on Zeffre's shoulders, turning her to continue their walk, Zeffre blinking in confusion.

----​

"Waltham's Surplus…," Zeffre read aloud from the sign displayed over the… store?

The building wasn't really a storefront. Ruby had led them to what would better be described as a modified warehouse, the exterior unpainted red brick with a covered glass entrance.

"Is this really the place," Weiss said, sounding unenthused.

"Looks like it," Zeffre said, grinning. She held her hand out to Weiss. "Come on, these places are great! You never know what you'll find."

Weiss considered her offered hand, glancing at the warehouse once before looking back. Sighing, she grasped Zeffre's hand. "Alright, but I seriously doubt there is anything in a place like this that I'll be interested in."

Zeffre's smile widened. "I can guarantee that I can find something you'll like in a place like this," she said, leading the two of them inside the store.

Weiss hummed.

For a moment, just a moment, Zeffre doubted if she could uphold her promise. All she knew about this place was that it was a surplus store where they could get the parts for Veiled Night; there was no guarantee that anything in here would interest Weiss. Her doubts vanished as she entered the air-conditioned warehouse.

Aisles reaching all the way up to the exposed metal ceiling filled with things. Even in the dim white lighting of the store Zeffre could make out a wide range of items. One aisle looked to be entirely made up of electronic components with another filled with antique rugs. The air was heavy with the scent of industrial oil, lacquered wood, and dusty books.

"Do you smell that Weiss?" Zeffre asked, taking a deep breath.

"I wish I didn't," Weiss said, scrunching her nose at the smell.

"That's right. It's the scent of discovery," Zeffre said, oblivious to Weiss's comment. "Let's look around!" she said, leading Weiss by the hand.

The two girls' footsteps reverberated off the bare concrete floor of the warehouse, passing by the occasional shopper pushing a cart. Zeffre needed to also find something for Ruby before finding her. It would be funnier that way.

'What would Weiss like…,' Zeffre thought, leading the two of them down an aisle of antiques. '…she drinks tea…'

Letting go of Weiss's hand, Zeffre grabbed a sliding ladder for the aisle and began pulling it alongside them, the ladder squeaking as they walked.

"Zeffre, you really don't need to get me anything," Weiss said, watching as the other girl scanned the shelves.

"Hm… I don't 'need' to do most things…," Zeffre said quietly, "but I want to get you something."

Abruptly, she stopped, eyes locked onto something on a middle shelf. 'That'll work.'

Scampering up the ladder, Zeffre retrieved whatever had caught her eye and descended back down to Weiss, item in hand.

Weiss raised an eyebrow. "A teapot?"

Hopping down the last few steps, Zeffre enthusiastically nodded her head. "Yep, a teapot."

The teapot in question was an unremarkable red clay Mistral teapot. The exterior had a slightly rough texture, devoid of any decorations except for some light scratches from use. It looked large enough to make maybe five cups of tea at a time.

Weiss gave her a skeptical look that made Zeffre blush.

"You know… I mean, I was thinking that we could talk about things over tea? Not to say we can't just hang out together, but I mean… coffee isn't exactly relaxing and… uh…," Zeffre handed over the teapot, her blush intensifying. "Sorry if it was a dumb idea."

Holding the teapot Weiss's look softened. "You mean you want to have tea parties together?" she asked playfully.

Zeffre tilted her head slightly, still blushing. "It doesn't need to be anything as extravagant as a party."

Smirking, Weiss appraised the teapot. She gave a thoughtful 'hmmm' as she removed the lid to look inside, the sound of scraping stone highlighting how this was a clay teapot. Replacing the lid she then stroked her chin for a moment. "Fine. You win, I like the teapot."

"Yes!" Zeffre not shouted, doing a fist pump before taking back the teapot. "This is why I said I'd find something you'd like instead of love. Gotta set realistic goals."

Weiss rolled her eyes at Zeffre's antics.

"Now… we just need to find something for Ruby." Zeffre said, cradling the teapot in her arms.

----​

They found Ruby wandering the aisles talking with an elderly man.

"There you are," Weiss said.

'She might be annoyed that it took us five minutes to find her,' Zeffre thought, bundle under one arm and teapot in another. "Heyo Ruby."

Ruby stopped reaching for a part on a shelf to look at them. "Huh? Oh, hey!" she said. "Where were you guys? I thought you were following me, and you both just vanished."

Zeffre held out the teapot. "I found a teapot. Also, Ruby!" She exclaimed, handing the teapot to Weiss before she snap-pointing at her friend. "Are you interested in learning a valuable life skill that is sure to open door for you," she pronounced, putting on her best saleswoman voice.

Ruby ran over to Zeffre, vibrating in excitement. "Yes!"

"In that case I have picked out just the right gift for you," Zeffre said, presenting Ruby with a bundle she had been carrying under her arm.

"Awesome!" Ruby shouted, looking down at the leather bundle. "What is it?"

"A lockpicking kit."

"Oh, you meant that literally," Weiss said, the dryness in her voice drowned out by the shared enthusiasm of Ruby and Zeffre.

Ruby looked back up. "I don't know how to lockpick."

"But wait, that's not all. For the low, low price of absolutely free I will teach you the art of ignoring locks," Zeffre said, continuing in her announcer voice. "After all, locks are merely suggestions and cannot hurt you."

Ruby and Zeffre cheered.

Weiss sighed.

The old man coughed.

"Oh." Ruby blinked. "Weiss, Zeffre, this is Harold Waltham," she said, gesturing over to the man. "Harold, these are my friends Weiss and Zeffre."

"A pleasure to meet you Mister Waltham," Weiss said, her annoyed expression replaced with a pleasant smile.

Zeffre raised her free hand. "Yo."

Weiss elbowed Zeffre in the ribs.

"Ow." Zeffre gave Weiss a questioning look, rubbing her ribs with her free hand. "What?"

Weiss sighed.

Harold Waltham was, in Zeffre's opinion, a frail old man. Short, wearing spectacles over his sunken grey eyes that looked at the two of them as if they were nothing interesting; his eyes did linger on Zeffre for a moment before looking away. He was wearing tan slacks and a stained white button downed shirt under a heavily stained brown work apron covered in black grease.

"You the one who suggested the capacitors?" Harold asked.

Zeffre nodded. Ruby must've already told him about what they planned to do.

"You need to add a secondary Dust crystal to better draw the energy." Harold told her. "Your original design works, but it puts too much strain on the crystal; you'll burn it out in a week otherwise."

Zeffre looked up at the ceiling, considering his suggestion. "Huh… I hadn't considered the strain on the crystal itself…"

"I know," Harold said, turning away from the two girls to gather more parts off the shelf.

"Jerk," Weiss muttered under her breath.

"Not bad advice though," Zeffre said, walking over to a smiling Ruby.

"Right? Harold's an amazing weaponsmith! I showed him our plans to modify Veiled Night and he offered to take a look at it!" Ruby said, swapping the teapot in Zeffre's hand with a red folder. "I love coming here to buy parts and talk with him about weapons and ideas."

Harold shrugged, putting a box of Dust crystals into the cart. "It's nice to have an intelligent conversation every once in a while," he said, moving to push the loaded cart to the front of the store.

Following, Zeffre opened the folder. She was met with a wave of red ink. Every page had at least one suggested revision to their original plan with different parts crossed out in red.

As Harold rang them up Zeffre and Ruby went over the suggestions. Or, well, Zeffre went over the suggestions, and Ruby helped to explain the parts that weren't obvious to Zeffre.

"Also the lockpicking kit and teapot," Zeffre said absently, looking at a suggestion for how the blade should be connected to the frame.

Weiss stepped forward, reaching into her purse.

"Weiss what are you doing?" Zeffre asked, handing the folder to Ruby.

"…Paying?" Weiss said.

Zeffre shook her head, reaching into her jacket pocket for her credit card. "While the idea of you buying your own gift from me is hilarious, no. I'm paying."

"Zeffre, seriously, it isn't a problem," Weiss said.

Locking eyes with Weiss, Zeffre wordlessly handed over her credit card.

Taking back the card, Zeffre then handed Weiss the red clay teapot. "Too late."

Weiss let out an amused breath, graciously taking the offered teapot.

Everything else was placed into a small wooden box.

Taking one of the boxes, Zeffre gave Harold a bright smile. "Thank you for pointing out the crystal issue. I'll definitely read over all of your suggestions before we get started."

"Parts quest: Complete!" Ruby shouted, pumping her fist in the air.

"Haircut and clothes quest: Start," Weiss said, grabbing the Zeffre's hand and almost dragging her out of the store.

----​

Weiss stroked her new red clay teapot with a thumb, feeling how its slightly rough surface contrasted against porcelain.

Zeffre was… strange. All of her talk about Artifacts, Temples, different universes… Even her age was unknown to her; she had told them she hadn't counted after a while, but that the number was definitely above one hundred.

Leaning back in her seat outside the boutique's dressing rooms Weiss closed her eyes.

Something was deeply wrong with Zeffre. The abridged story she had told their team was suspiciously light on personal details, and that conversation on the roof…

Weiss's grip on the teapot tightened.

Hearing the glee in Zeffre's voice as she told the story of Servant, seeing that empty smile as she described something so terrible that had happen to her… That amount of self-loathing had been terrifying to witness. To see how truly broken Zeffre was on the inside, to feel how desperately she clung to Weiss when she finally got through to her.

Weiss sighed, wiping a stray tear away with her thumb.

What she knew was that Zeffre had obviously been through a lot, probably too much for her to ever truly understand, but what Weiss did understand was that she never wanted to see Zeffre like that again.

Zeffre was incredibly fragile. She didn't seem to care about her own wellbeing, and someone could very easily manipulate her into doing whatever they wanted; Zeffre most of the time wore her feelings on her sleeve and easily crumpled in emotional conversations. Weiss got the feeling that Zeffre, despite her long life, wasn't used to emotional manipulation.

If someone like her father got alone with Zeffre knowing what she was capable of…

Weiss's thumb grazed the teapot's lid, the slight scrapping noise bringing her out of that particular thought.

'To keep Zeffre safe I'll need to keep her close,' Weiss thought. Zeffre wouldn't mind, and besides, Zeffre's willingness to do whatever someone she trusts asks of her was too big of a risk. She needed to watch her.

And... maybe it wouldn't be entirely a bad thing to have Zeffre so close.

The door to the dressing room opened.

Peeking her head out of the room, Zeffre, sporting a new haircut, looked around before settling on Weiss. Her once uneven shaggy blue and silver hair now cut into an adorable shoulder length shaggy bob with bangs giving her an adventurous look. Weiss thought she looked very nice.

"Are you finished?" Weiss asked.

"Uh… yeah," Zeffre said, letting out a light laugh as her cheeks became faintly pink. "It's just that, uh… I might not make the outfit you picked out look good."

Wiess gave her a playful smirk. "Are you doubting my fashion expertise?"

Zeffre's eyes went wide. "No! It's just… uh… I…" she sputtered before stepping out of the dressing room.

She was wearing a knee-length pale blue dress with long sleeves and a slightly flared pleated skirt, the sleeves fitted her wrist. A large navy-blue bow was attached to the dress collar that matched the navy-blue scarf that had been repurposed to cinch the waist, the golden symbol facing out asymmetrically down her left side. For shoes Weiss had helped her pick out a pair of black pumps and long white socks.

Weiss stared at her in silence. 'She thought this looks bad?'

Zeffre shuffled in place, her blush intensifying. "Um… I'm sorry if this looks bad."

"You look amazing," Weiss said, the words coming out unintentionally.

"I do?" Zeffre asked, her nervous expression quickly fading.

Standing, Weiss walked over and gave Zeffre a quick, small hug. "You do," she said, smiling.

"Oh… Uh… Thank you," Zeffre said, her voice quiet, smiling softly.

Weiss smiled back. It hurt to see her friend so unsure of herself.

'She'd look great in makeup.'

Weiss took a closer look at her. "Do you wear makeup?" she asked.

Zeffre cutely tilted her head, expressive blue eyes blinking in confusion. "I know nothing about makeup." She shrugged. "It wasn't important; I usually didn't care about how I look to others," she said, brushing her hair with a hand.

Weiss grabbed her hand. "In that case I know exactly what to get." she said, leading her away to the perfume section of the boutique.

----​

He really did have to wonder what Zeffre was thinking.

Leaning against a brick wall somewhere in Vale, Hunter silently watched the world pass him by. He didn't pay it any attention, the filtered air and controlled temperature his Venator armor provided him was more than enough to make him feel comfortable even as stood in direct sunlight.

Zeffre wasn't stupid. She knew what he knew, understood that this universe was just one of infinitely many. This planet, these people, were ultimately as unique as one grain of sand in on an vast endless beach.

She just needed a little help in re-learning this fact.

It was all the same song and dance time after time really.

Enter into a new universe, gather resources, locate the Artifacts then Temples then enter the Unity. A simple, direct sequence of events that was the only constant he had found in his existence, and it was one that he had become particularly good at.

"Hi!"

Hunter tilted his head to the side, his hidden eyes slightly widening as they met a pair of silver.

'Just my luck.'

He closed his eyes, refusing to even acknowledge her presence.

"Uh… Hi," she said again, this time a little uncertain before her enthusiasm came back in full force. "I'm Ruby!"

"Good for you." There were only a handful of people on Remnant that he would rather not meet, and Ruby Rose was definitely one of those people.

"Thanks!" Ruby chirped, smiling broadly up at Hunter.

Sighing, Hunter opened his eyes and looked down at the girl. "What do you want?"

Ruby smiled broadly at him, enthusiastic as ever. "I just wanted to ask if you knew somebody named Zeffre?"

Under the helmet Hunter's face twitched, a feeling of… something passing through him. A feeling that was quickly and brutally suppressed. "Why do you think I know anything about her?"

"For starters you knew she was a her—"

He really shouldn't be talking to her.

"—and you're wearing the same cool armor she does," Ruby finished.

"…Educated guess." It would be just his luck that this Zeffre had somehow met a version of Ruby.

"Oh, okay."

Ruby was still staring up at him.

"What."

"What kind of weapon is that?" Ruby asked, head tilting in a painfully familiar way as she pointed at the sheath on his waist.

'She really still doesn't understand 'go away'.'

"A deadly kind."

"…"

"…"

"Can I see it?"

"No."

"Please?" She asked again, a slight whine in her voice.

Hunter swallowed his frustration. "No. Go away."

Ruby fell to her knees, hands clasped together in a begging gesture. "Pretty pretty please," she begged, eyes wide, watering.

Hunter could taste his own blood as he bit down on the corner of his cheek. He needed to leave, to disappear for a few days. To—

Glancing down at Ruby once again the feeling came back, more intense than last time.

"Fine," he said, drawing his weapon from the scabbard.

His sword was something he had constructed himself after arriving on Remnant using some knowledge he picked up in his travels. The blade was tarnished silver with a straight channel on each side of the blade long enough to classify it as a longsword, with a complex working of gears exposed where the blade met the black handle. Externally it was a deceptively simple-looking weapon with no extra adornments or decoration.

Ruby immediately shot back up to her feet. "Thank you!"

"Don't mention it."

Ruby inspected his weapon with an intensity that was almost, almost, endearing, the silver of the blade glinting in the sunlight. "Can I hold it," she asked innocently.

Hunter was only able to get the first syllable of 'No' out before Ruby's puppy dog eyes made him stop. "Sure," he said, tossing the sword into the air with a spin, effortlessly catching the blade and holding out the hilt towards her.

The second Hunter let go of the blade Ruby's eyes went wide. "Woah."

Hunter couldn't stop the slight smile that went across his lips, crossing his arms as he watched her.

On the sidewalk pedestrians gave the two of them a wide berth as the fourteen-year-old girl expertly swung the sword, moving with an expertise that was rare. "This is so cool," Ruby muttered to herself, swinging the sword quickly before abruptly stopping the slash, momentum causing her to spin. "When I'm holding it the sword feels light, but when I move it feels like it has a lot more force than it should."

"Why do you think that is?" Hunter asked.

Ruby made another horizontal slash. "It's like… like it has more mass than it should." She looked at him. "Does it use gravity dust?"

It wasn't a bad guess. "No, the blade is made of a caelumite alloy," Hunter said, smiling at her under his helmet.

Ruby stopped posing a public hazard and stood still, inspecting the blade. "Caelumite… What's that?"

"A material that doesn't react normally to gravity. It—" What was he doing?!

Hunter's smile immediately dropped. "Give it back to me now," he demanded.

Eyes wide Ruby quickly handed Hunter back his sword, withering as he stared down at her.

With a grunt Hunter placed his sword back in its scabbard, frustrated at himself. He should not be interacting with her at all period. She was not her; a lesson he had learned lifetimes ago, no matter how much she looked and acted like her.

Pushing himself off the wall Hunter began walking away. He needed to not be here.

"Where are you going?" Ruby asked, walking beside him.

"Away from you."

"Why?"

'She is as persistent as her.'

Hunter clenched his fist at the stray thought as he continued to walk. Ruby would tire herself out eventually and go away, and at this moment that is all he wanted.

The two of them walked in silence for a few minutes, Hunter never looking at his new shadow as he fixed his gaze straight ahead, walking in a straight line. If these people weren't smart enough to get out of his way then that was their problem to deal with, not his.

"So…," Ruby began, Hunter trying his best to ignore her. "What's you weapon called?"

Hunter didn't respond.

"Mine is called Cresent Rose!" she said, voice full of youthful excitement. "I don't have her with me at the moment, but I think you'd like her. She's a cool bolt-action sniper rifle and scythe!"

Hunter didn't respond.

"Now, I know what your thinking. A scythe? That isn't a normal weapon at all, why would you ever choose something like that? Are you crazy?" Ruby said, her voice changing tone as she rattled off the hypothetical questions. "Well, the reason is my uncle Qrow is an amazing Huntsman at Signal and his weapon, Harbinger, can also transform into a scythe and—"

Hunter stopped.

"Unmitigated Violence," he said, staring straight ahead.

Ruby's smile brightened as he stopped. "What did you say?"

He turned to look down at her. "My weapon's name. It's Unmitigated Violence."

Her smile never left her face. "That's a cool name, a little aggressive, but it is a weapon," she said, laughing nervously as he stared down at her. "Uh… Is that just a cool name?"

"In any world there is only one constant, a simple truth that people don't like to think about. People like to believe that their intentions matter; that with a righteous cause backing them it is impossible to fail," he said, turning to face Ruby. "They are wrong. The only deciding factor in any conflict is simply a matter of which side can employ the most violence to the other. Force and violence are the only things that truly matter; power is what dictates who is right. Everything else is a shared delusion."

"That's a bleak way to look at life," Ruby said, her voice quiet, subdued.

"Life is bleak."

"Ruby!" a voice shouted in the distance before the space in between Hunter and Ruby distorted and, in a flash, a blue figure appearing directly between the two.

"Hello Zeffre."

----​

Author's Note:

I'm not dead! Sorry for the long wait, but there was something about this chapter in particular that didn't sit right with me and too a while to work out. Good news though is that I now have a more concrete plan of where this story is going to go moving forward.

Also, a slight hint for later but the Hunter is not Aquilus. I'll leave it up to all of you to understand what I mean by that.

"In any world there is only one constant, a simple truth that people don't like to think about. People like to believe that their intentions matter; that with a righteous cause backing them it is impossible to fail," he said, turning to face Ruby. "They are wrong. The only deciding factor in any conflict is simply a matter of which side can employ the most violence to the other. Force and violence are the only things that truly matter; power is what dictates who is right. Everything else is a shared delusion."
Hunter, you know you could at least not be such and edgelord about it. Take the HK-47 as an example. He would completely agree with you but he actually has fun with it.

Placeholder Zeffre and Saffre Illustrations (AI Generated) New
I plan on commissioning actual illustrations of certain characters and scenes when I have the money to do so, but I thought it'd be nice to have some placeholder images I came up with so that people can have a better idea of what the characters look like. They're far from perfect, but I think they get the general vibe and design of the characters across well enough. The plan is to spend a fair amount on some professional level illustrations for the characters when I can, but that will probably be in a few months.

Some things are wrong, namely the sash around her waist should be her scarf with the Sanctum Universum symbol on it facing out, and her black pumps should not have heels that large, but I think the general vibe is close enough to what I was going for.

Saffre should look more like Zeffre (duh), but honestly the biggest issue is the lack of fine details. Again though, the general vibe is correct, and I think helps get across what I was envisioning.

Flashback: Never New
Sighing, Zeffre Lux practically melted into the living room couch, snuggling herself into her favorite corner surrounded by cushions, the soft worn fabric a comforting reminder of home. She had tried for weeks to find a similar couch for Wanderwell, but none of them had filled her with the same cozy warmth of home like her family's couch.

Closing her eyes Zeffre let out a quiet groan. Her entire body was still sore from her last trip to gather an Artifact with Barrett, but nothing a medpack, some bandages, and a trip to Reliant Medical couldn't fix. She really needed to watch out more carefully for grenades. Being a full-time explorer was surprisingly hard work, but still. It was nice to be home for a few days.

A hand from behind the couch ruffled Zeffre's hair. "So kiddo, how was dinner?"

Zeffre valiantly defended her hair from the invader, grinning as she looked up at her father. "It was amazing! Way better than fast-food, and that is a complement," she said, straightening her hair. "I am now a connoisseur of fast-food from across the Settled Systems, and your food is still the best."

"Well then Miss Lux, this son of a chief is deeply humbled by your gracious review," Dad said, smiling as he playfully bowed his head at her before walking around the couch, sitting next to her. "Grandad would be proud to hear that I've at least kept up in my culinary skills."

Letting go of her snuggle pillow Zeffre leaned over and hugged her dad. "He wouldn't be alone because I'm proud of you too."

Dad chuckled. "Isn't it my job to say that to you?" he asked hugging her back.

"Dunno, is that what they teach you in father school?"

"Hm… They might've mentioned it, but I can't quite remember," Dad said, stroking his chin in faux contemplation, "But I don't need a lesson to know that I am proud of you Zef."

Letting go Zeffre looked up at Dad, stroking her own chin. "Makes sense… I am pretty great."

Dad chuckled, reaching over and ruffling Zeffre's hair again. "And so humble."

"The humbliest. Er… Humblier… uh," Zeffre furrowed her brow. "Dad, what's the adjective of humble?"

"Humblest."

Zeffre snapped her fingers. "Right! Humblest," she said, nodding. She totally knew that.

Looking around Zeffre noticed someone important was missing. "Where's mom?"

"She went to CJ's to pick up some snacks for you," Dad told her as Zeffre went back to snuggling in her corner.

Zeffre nodded, resting her head on a cushion in her lap. She had about a million different things she needed to do ranging from stopping at New Homestead to get some of those sweet, sweet White Dwarf 3015 engines for Wanderwell to helping Walter with his company's new starship model, but those things could wait. Zeffre was on vacation and unless there was an emergency she was content with simply staying at home living off her favorite couch watching TV with her family.

"Zeffre?" Dad said, his tone instantly getting her attention. She got the feeling this was going to be a father-daughter talk.

"Yeah Dad, what's up?" she said, removing her cushion blanket to sit up straighter on the couch. This sounded important.

"Tell me, are you doing well? And none of that 'I'm fine, Dad' stuff. Really answer: how are you?"

Zeffre looked down for a moment, considering his question. "Honestly? I've never been better," she said, looking back up to grin at her father. "Being in Constellation, exploring the Settled Systems, fighting pirates and Spacers, like, it's been great! I'm also making way more money than I used to working for Argos, which is a nice plus."

Zeffre's dad smiled. "Good… That's good to hear. Knowing you're out there living your best life, doing something you truly love… I just wanted to say that your mother and I are so incredibly proud of you and that we love you so very much." He sighed. "It's just, well, it worries your mother that one day… you might take on more than you can deal with. Is it worth it? All that risk and danger?"

Looking down again Zeffre really considered his question. She didn't like lying to her parents and she knew that no matter what they would be there for her. He deserved an honest answer.

"Honestly?" Zeffre began slowly, still thinking through her answer. "I have no idea. I guess I'll know at the end, but I like to think so. That I'm really making a difference."

"I get it," Dad said, reaching over to put a hand on Zeffre's shoulder. "When you're knee deep in it, it may be hard to see the big picture," he said, giving Zeffre a reassuring squeeze. "But my gut says you're making the galaxy a better place. I've got some years on you, and my guiding star's always been: find something you believe in and fight for it. For me, it's you and your mother. Every time big life decisions came up - that's what made it easy. What would be best for all of us? If you can strip away everything and answer that one question..." he shrugged. "Well, it helped me then and maybe it could help you too."

Zeffre smiled a small, gentle smile. A smile that not many people see. "Thank you, Dad, that… I think that could help." Her smile shifted into a smirk. "Especially when I meet the occasional unhappy group of Spacers."

Dad chuckled, pulling his hand back. "Well, it's what I'm here for. Now, enough concern from your old man, what do you say to making this a family movie night?" he asked, grinning at Zeffre's blank look.

"Dad I'm 21."

Her dad smirked. "What? Is my daughter too old now to share a cozy movie night with her father and mother eating popcorn?"

In a burst of motion Zeffre rushed over to hug Dad who let out a silent 'oomph'. "Never."

----​

Author's Note:

Originally this was going to be the start of chapter 24, but structurally I think it'll work better standalone. It might make sense after I finish chapter 24.
Anyway, Like, Comment, Subscribe, Ring the bell, sign up for the mailing list, etc. etc. (and as always thank you for reading).

Back