Roses Spread Far and Wide (RWBY/MTG)

Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

After a training trip went wrong, a young Ruby Rose finds herself lost in a place so like home, but so different from it as well. Soon life will open up, as well as the Multi-verse at large.
Chapter 1: Where are we?
If Ruby Rose had two words to describe the woods that she was in, she would use Dark and Cold.

If she had three words she would add Wet.

She dearly wishes she knew what woods she was in. She was in some dark forest, the trees around her twisting up and pointing to the night sky above her.

The most important thing, really, is that in that night sky above her hanged a moon. One far to large, and far to whole, to be the one that she has seen her entire life. It shined in a color that was also just not the same shade of color as the one she had grown up under.

She's not sure where she is, but it's become clear that she's not on Remnant anymore.

Ruby had been shocked, and more then a little bit worried. But after some worrying, she decided that she can't just stay still and wait for someone to find her. She needs to find some kind of shelter, preferably a town, and then figure stuff out from there.

"When in doubt of what to do when in the wilds, find someplace safe to sleep"

Uncle Qrow had told her that when he was teaching her survival skills. Sleep can help clear your head, and a clear head is one that doesn't attract the Grimm.

So here she is, trudging through the woods, up a hill. Some place high could help her scout out the areas around her, give her some kind of directions.

If she hadn't been thinking about Uncle Qrow's advice, she may have done something dangerous. It was while thinking about his lesson's that made her decide not to use her Semblance, Petal Burst, to zoom to the top of the hill. Slow and steady would do her better then speed right now. Once she knows where she can rest safe, then she can use her speed, but for now she can't burn her aura without putting her at risk.

Once she's found a place to sleep, and gotten some sleep, she can start to try and figure out how to get home.

Ruby's not sure how she had gotten here. She had been at a training camping exercise at Signal Academy, and things had gone... bad. Two of her classmates got into a huge fight, and Grimm had ended up attacking.

Next thing she knows, she landing in wet grass, looking up at a massive moon that, again, isn't shattered.

She's been wandering around for several hours now, looking for any sort of settlement. Her Scroll isn't giving her any information on where she is, which after a bit of thought she decided made sense. Wherever she is, she doubts that the CCT is going to be able to give her data.

As she arrives at the top of the hill, she starts to survey the area, she can make out a few important things.

First important thing is that she doesn't seem to be on an island anymore, or if she is it's a far bigger one then Patch was. From a place like this you could probably see some hints of a coast somewhere. Instead all she can see is more forest for as far as she can see.

The far more important thing, is that there is a patch of land that seems to have all the trees cut down. Inside that area she can see some farms, homes, some big stone building, and all of it is encircled by a wall.

A town.

It's good to see some signs of people. If she didn't find anything from this hill she was going to have to try and set up some kind of camp. She has some of her survival gear on her, she was at a camping exercise, but she would much rather sleep in a town then in a tree or something.

Now she just...

Flicking Crescent Rose out, she looks down the scope at the area around the town. She could have sworn she saw some movement aro-

Beowolves. Lots of them, just skimming she things that there are at least 15 of them. Not very dangerous to her, Beowolves are common on Patch, but she has no idea if that town has any Hunters in it.

Actually... are they Beowolves? They don't have bone armor, and some of them aren't even black furred. In fact most of them don't have black fur.

After a moment of thought, she decides that it doesn't matter. They are charging at the town, and after checking out the walls, she can see people running around and grabbing weapons. Primitive weapons, she doesn't see a gun in sight, just a number of crossbows, but still weapons.

She could snipe at the Beowolves, they're Beowolves until someone says otherwise, but she's worried about ammo. Her ammo isn't as important as their lives, she knows that, but if they don't have guns she can't be sure she can get more ammo at the town.

With that in mind, and a good estimation of the speed the Beowolves are moving at, she put's Crescent Rose away, and moves.

A moment later, the paths of the woods are filled with rose petals.

As the bells rang over Groveswatch, Jacob for not the first time wished they had some better crossbows. Most of the crossbows that they had in Grovewatch had been made for animal hunting. They were fine most of the time, but when a full moon comes around it was a problem.

He's never understood why the wards of the church weakened on full moons, but it was a problem when you lived in a forest filled with Werewolves.

As he kept an eye on the field that the beasts should be approaching from, he whispered a small prayer.

"Dear Avacyn, protector of all, give us the strength to hold off these beasts."

The words gave him calm. Groveswatch had survived assaults in the past, and Irinri was in the church using her magics to keep the wards strong. They would be safe.

There aren't normally this many beasts. A small voice whispered into his head. Normally only two or three push the defenses.

It was an uncomfortable truth, that they were going to be facing off against much more then normal.

It was with that cold truth that he watched as one after another, Werewolves burst through the treeline. The wave of fur came to the walls, he raised his cross bow an-

A sharp scent of roses invaded his senses, as a wave of red petals blasted from another part of the treeline and stopped dead in the pack of wolves. At the end was a young girl, maybe a little older then Jacob's own young girl. She was dressed in a dark outfit, a small black dress with red accents. She had boots and leggings that were much the same, and flowing behind her was a cloak of pure red.

With a snap of her hand some weapon came out, and unfolded into the biggest Avacyn damned scythe Jacob has ever seen. It's blade wrapping under one of the beasts and over its shoulder.

With a resounding CRACK the blade pulled through the monster, cutting it in twain.

For a moment it seemed that everything had stopped.

Then with a roar, one of the beasts lunged for her, and all the monsters that were charging the city turned to the girl.

"Fire on them!" Someone on the walls shouted, and Jacob was shocked out of his stupor, and a wave of crossbow bolts rained at the beasts. The girl was weaving and almost dancing around the monsters, her scythe spinning around her, with at times another one of those loud sounds resounding through the field as her blade launches itself around, dismembering and beheading the beasts.

He reloads as quickly as he can, but he's not sure how much help they truly are for the small girl. The girl is faster then anything he's seen, leaving behind her more of the red petals as she slays the beasts like an angel sent by Avacyn.

And just like that it's over. For all the worry that they had been having over the large number of beasts that had been in the area leading up to the full moon, it was over.

He looked down to his side, where a large pile of bolts had been waiting to be fired sat. So much preparation that was handled by a small girl.

When he looked back up, he saw that the girls weapon was folding itself up, as she walked to them. His breath hitched as he saw her eyes.

Silver eyes that shined like the moon, with not a hint of black in her sclera. She's no vampire, but he has no idea what she could be for her eyes to shine like blessed Moon-Silver.

"Umm.. Hi! Can I come in?" The girl said, looking at the group that was on the gate. Jacob looked to the leader of the guard, who was waving at someone to get the gate.

"Thanks for the help." The captain called out, as the gate opened.

"No problem," she said, "I saw the Beowolves from on the hill and came as fast as I could."

Jacob looked to one of the others.

"Beowolves?" He quested quietly.

Ruby wasn't really expecting things to go down this way when she decided to help.

Mostly in that the people decided that she needed to go and speak to someone named Irinri who was apparently in the church. They said that she was here to help reinforce the magical wards that protected the town, that she wasn't who normally did it, but she had been closer.

Ruby wasn't sure about the magic thing...

But something was up. She's not sure how to phrase it, other then that she could feel that something was around the town. Wrapping around it and whatever it was it was coming from the church. She hadn't noticed it before, and she's never felt anything like it. Ever sense she noticed that she can feel that sort of stuff, she's been noticing other things. Like the fact that she felt odd things like that on herself. In fact she could feel it also being in her eyes.

She has no idea what it is that she's feeling, and discreetly feeling at it, she thinks she feels stuff similar to that on Crescent Rose, which makes no sense as she's sure she would know if Crescent Rose was magical. She built and designed that thing from the ground up, so she should know if it was magical.

"I've never seen a someone fight with a scythe like that before, how did you get so good with it at your age?" One of the guards interrupts her thoughts as he asks.

"Thanks, " Ruby said, "My Uncle Qrow taught me everything I know on how to fight with a Scythe. He's a Hunter, so he's got a lot of experience fighting monsters."

Monsters, because whatever those were they were not Grimm. Without the Bone Plating they were a bit easier to cut into then the Grimm, though they had a lot more inside them then the Grimm do. She was a bit surprised to see that it bleed red blood instead of the normal black blood of a Grimm, but she pushed it to the side easy enough. Whatever those things were, they were obviously feral and dangerous.

"Actually," one of the other guards spoke up, "how old are you? You don't look that old."

"I'm fourteen years old." Ruby said with a smile, "Most of my family are Hunters, and I've been training to be one like my Mom and Uncle for as long as I can remember. They both used some kind of scythe weapon, so I wanted to be like them."

She didn't get to say much more, as they were soon at the church. A large building of stone, that had stain glassed windows that formed to show a winged women with a spear in one of her hands.

"The rest of you can go, I'll handle things from here" The captain says to the others that had been following them as they reach the steps to the massive church. The others did some kind of salute, before heading off as they went into the church. As they step into the church, Ruby nearly stumbles on seeing the women floating before the alter.

An angel! Her mother had told her about angels! She doesn't remember a lot from back then, but she does remember her mom talking about angels coming and protecting people. She's never seen one before, but she's always hoped that they were real and not just one of her many stories.

She wished she remembered more of those stories.

The guard captain besides her chuckled.

"I forgot to mention that Irinri was an angel didn't I?"

"Yeah."

The pair came to the angel, who turned to look at them as they came in. Irinri was beautiful, her hair was bluish color that she's not seen before, and she was wearing white robes with this odd symbol on it. It started with a line that went to a circle that opened at the top, and had almost a down arrow at that point, if it wasn't split in half as well. Her robes had that symbol on it's shoulders and once again at both sides of her hips.

Now that Ruby thinks about it, she's seen that symbol in a number of places, like on the alter behind Irinri and something like it seems to be part of the spear of the women in the stain glassed windows.

"Irinri, I would like to introduce you to Ruby Rose. She helped deal with the Werewolves that were attacking the gate."

Oh, so those things were called Werewolves.

"It's nice to meet you." Ruby said, giving her a smile.

"Thank you for your help Young Ruby. My skills in magic are far better for dealing with the dead then the living. I was worried that someone could get hurt before I managed to fully reinforce the wards." She gives Ruby a slightly confused once over. "Though I must say that I've never seen an outfit like yours. Is it more common where you are from?"

"Well..." Ruby rubbed an arm, not sure how to talk about this. Irinri seemed to be willing to wait, let Ruby collect her thoughts and figure out what to say.

"I don't know where I am, or how I would even get home." Ruby finally said. "And I don't think a map will help. Things here are weird, and so different that it's nothing like home."

"I'm sure we can..." Irinri started to trail off, before a look crossed her face. Ruby couldn't read it, but she took to a slight thinking pose, before speaking again. "What's the biggest most obvious difference between here and your home?"

"The moon." Ruby said before she could stop herself. Great, now they are going to thing she's crazy. "It's bigger then at home, and it's not broken."

She could see the guard captain look at her a little confused, but thankfully Irinri had a look of understanding on her face.

"Yes, I was worried about this." She gave a kind smile to Ruby, before contiuing to speak. "Avacyn has spoken with the other Arch-angles about beings like you, and we have been told to keep watch for your kind. You, my dear, are a Planeswalker."

"A what?"

"A Planeswalker, an increasingly rare type of being. Tell me, what was the name of your world?"

"Remnant."

Irinri raised a hand, and inside of it formed a small globe. The landmass was not distinct, and it had a smaller orb that was broken around it. It wasn't broken right to be Remnant's moon, but she understood what Irinri was going for. Then she waved and other one formed, this one with a fully done moon.

"The world you were on, the Plane, was that of Remnant. We are on the plane of Innistrad, this one over here. A Planewalker is a being that has something known as a Spark. From what I have been told, the chance of being born with a Spark is about one in a million. But you need more then that, as it's about a one in a million chance for that Spark to Ignite. Once you do that, you may travel between the planes."

With a wave of her hand, more orbs started to appear, until they slowly filled the hall of the church.

"The space that planes are in is known as the Blind Eternities, and it is said to go on forever. It will forever be filled with planes, and there are more planes out there then leaves on all the forests of Innistrad."

She gave Ruby an apologetic look as she gave the next part.

"I'm told that it can be difficult to navigate the Blind Eternities, and if you've not traveled to a Plane before, it can be difficult to find it. While you may be able to find your home, it will take time." The angle sighed, and sounded even more apologetic somehow. "And I'm sorry that you had to land on Innistrad, I'm told it's one of the more inhospitable planes that are known of out their."

Huh...

Multi-verse.

She...

Well actually it wasn't that hard to swallow. Her Uncle Qrow and Dad had spoken of the idea of a Multi-verse multiple times to both her and Yang. Yang always said that they were just being nerds, but she's thankful for it now.

"It's... not really that bad. I mean," she started to give a grin, "I've yet to see any Grimm. I'll take that as a plus. Also, I've gotten to meet an Angel, we don't have any of those back home!"

That didn't seem to be what Irinri was expecting to say, and the guard captain besides her looked like he was still trying to swallow this, but he was also looking at Ruby with some confusion.

"What are Grimm? I've not heard of them before." The captain asked.

"Creatures of darkness. They have assaulted mankind for as long as we've had history, and we're pretty sure that the civilization that was on Remnant before the moon was blown up also had to deal with. At least that's what the archaeologists say. The Grimm feed off of fear and suffering, going out of their way to attack any settlement they can find and do everything they can to make people as scared as possible, and in as much pain as they can. Hunters, like my Uncle, make a living going out and killing as many of the monsters as they can." Ruby gave a little grin, before continuing. "I had actually thought that the monsters that were attacking were Beowolves, a type of Grimm that's common around my home."

Things were quite for a moment, before Irinri gave a small laugh.

"Never mind," she said with a small grin. "Welcome to Innistrad, Ruby Rose. I'm sure you will be right at home here."

Last edited:
Excellent concept, eager to see where this goes. And yeah, if there was one world that would see Innistrad as not so bad it's Remnant.
They are quite similar in many ways, if you think about it.

Anyway, spelling fixes:
The far more important thing, is that their is a patch of land that seems to have all the trees cut down. Inside that area she can see some farms, homes, some big stone building, and all of it is circled by a wall.
there
encircled
"The space that planes are in is known as the Blind Eternities, and it is said to go on forever. It will forever be filled with planes, and their are more planes out their then leaves on all the forests of Innistrad."
there
there
She could snipe at the Beowolves, their Beowolves until someone says otherwise, but she's worried about ammo. Her ammo isn't as important as their lives, she knows that, but if they don't have guns she can't be sure she can get more ammo at the town.
they're
She wished she remembered more of thous stories.
those

THE RED REAPER RISES!

An auspicious start, though i hope Ruby gets back to remnant relatively soon...Yang would not take her vanishing well...at all i would think. Her mother might get her claws into her this time around...

Chapter 2: Dust and Mana Bonds
Ruby yawns as sat up...

So...

Last night did actually happen.

A part of her had been wondering if it was the most complicated dream that she's ever had before. But as she has a little stretch and looks around the room she was given, she has to accept that this was very real.

After her meeting with Irinri the night before, she was brought to the towns inn and given a bed. Apparently the owner of the inn had already heard from some the guards that were drinking their when she arrived, of her help against the werewolves.

Ruby had thought a bit about trying to planeswalk, but had decided not to her having been growing quit tired.

She could planeswalk away now...

No.

As much as she wants to go home, she doesn't think it's the right thing to do right now. Irinri had said that she had some work to do in the town, but that she could try and teach Ruby some magic to help ward off monsters in the this plane.

Magic.

She was like so many yesterday morning and said that magic wasn't real, but magic makes the most amount of sense. It would have probably been harder to accept it if it wasn't for the moon being whole and the fact that she was being told this by an angel!

Ruby did feel a bit guilty about not trying to head home now. She can't imagine what it would be like for her Dad and Yang, with her just disappearing like her Mom did. When you have a body you can start to grieve. She has no idea how long it will take her to get home.

Irinri said that it was supposed to be difficult to navigate, and if she can't find her way back to Innistrad or Remnant, then things could go very bad very fast.

Getting home is priority two, priority one is staying alive to be able to do priority two.

And she's not sure if she will be able to do that without getting some help here. Learning how to do magic will keep her alive long enough to go home. She hasn't seen any evidence of Dust on this Plane, so it's possible that their simply isn't Dust here.

Which means that she has no way off getting more ammo.

Her only hope right now is to learn magic to compensate for her lack of ammo, and see if it's possible to make Dust with magic.

Hopefully Irinri would have an answer to that when she goes to visit the angle.

Also, again angel! That's so COOL! She can't wait to get home and tell Yang all about this!

With a smile at how awesome all this is, Ruby goes through the stuff needed to ready herself for the day, before heading downstairs into the Inn itself.

Breakfast was a mostly quite affair. From what the man running the inn was saying, most travelers are staying out of the area due to the Werewolf attacks. He gives her a wide smile when he says that with so many killed last night they will probably be getting more travelers again.

Ruby can't help but smile at the news, she can help. It's something she's always wanted to do more of, and she always found it silly that she needed to get some license to help people back home. Here they don't care that she's not finished her classes at Signal or gone to a big huntsmen school like Beacon, they just care that she could fight off the monsters.

At least, she thinks that's all they care about. As she heads out of the inn and starts to go to the church, she can't help but over hear some people who aren't really hiding that they are talking about her.

"Jacob said she had a scythe weapon, where is she keeping it?"

"Do you think she's a Cathar?"

"I've never seen a cloak that red!"

"Her eyes! They shine like Moon-Silver!"

"I heard that she killed thirty werewolves as they attacked the wall!"

It was a little embarrassing to be talked about so much, and she didn't even know what some of the stuff they were talking about was. What is Moon-Silver, and what's a Cathar?

She lets out a sigh of relief as she closes the door to the chapel behind her, before looking out into the church. It's the same as it was last night, with the pews and the alter at the end. As Ruby steps further in she watches as Irinri floats down from.. the rafters?

The red haired girl looked up at them in confusion. She doesn't see any beds up there, or really anything of note.

No wait, she see's something up there. It's hard to see much of it, it's kind of tucked away in a way that makes it very difficult to see what's up there from the ground.

A quick glance around doesn't show any way up there from the ground, so maybe it's an angel only place.

Cool.

Irinri is watching her with some kind of dry amusement. Now that Ruby isn't so tired from the long night and then the fight, she notices a few things she didn't before.

Irinri's hair is a bit like Ruby's, with it starting darker and getting lighter the further down it gets. It's almost black at the roots, but near the tips it's a deep and dark blue color. It had a really neat effect, and was a bit like her wings, which were almost all white, but with the feathers getting darker near the bottom.

And in the light of day she could see that she's not just wearing robes, they are just over top some kind of armor, but she can't get a view of it well due to the mentioned robes.

"Morning!" Ruby calls out as she walks to Irinri.

"Good morning. I hope you slept well." Irinri responded as she started to float to one of the doors.

"I slept fine." Ruby said, as she followed after Irinri. They walked in quite comfort until they arrived at a larger room that had a table in the center of it.

"So what magic do you know?" Irinri asks, breaking the silence.

"Nothing!" Ruby says with an exited grin. "I'm super exited to learn this! On my Plane no one thinks magic exists."

Irinri seemed to stop and blink at that.

"Then what is it I'm sensing on you?"

Ruby was hoping for something like that, and reached around and started to drop a few of the Dust Rounds on the table, making sure to grab a collection of the ones she has on her.

"This, is Dust. It's the main source of power on Remnant, and the most important tool we have for fighting the Grimm. Their are a various different types of Dust, each with different properties. I use them as ammunition for Crescent Rose," She pats the High-Impact Sniper-Scythe in question. "The ones that I use the most are the Fire, Lightning, and Ice ones. Those are the Red, Yellow, and Blue ones respectively. Their are several different ways to use Dust, the most common is by channeling ones Aura into it. Another one, most useful for things like Crescent Rose, is that enough force can cause it to go off. With the force it means that I can fighter them out and what is hit will have the Dust ignite on them."

Ruby watches as Irinri picks up one of the Burn Dust Rounds and starts to examine it. The angel twirls it in her fingers, probably sensing it or something.

"It's just sort of always been accepted that Dust isn't magic, and that magic isn't real. I kind of remember people saying that magic use to be a thing long, long ago, but I'm not sure how we know that was magic and this isn't. But now that I can feel this, I'm sure it is magic. I couldn't feel magic before yesterday." Ruby scratched the back of her neck. Really now that she thinks about it, Dust being magic makes sense. Like, no one has been able to figure out how it works, so why not magic?

"It's definitely magical." Irinri says, looking at it with some concentration. She places it down and looks at an Ice Dust Round as well, before speaking. "In fact I'm positive this is mana. I've never seen anything like this, it's like someone managed to make it into a crystal. I wasn't even aware that something like that was possible. But this," She makes a motion with the Ice Dust Round, "is Blue Mana. It feels like it was attuned to being an ice spell, before whatever it was that was done to make it into a crystal happened. These other two are Red Mana, likely for fire and lightning spells."

"So..." Ruby really hopes that what she was thinking is possible. "Can I make it? I only have what I have hear, and I really don't want to run out of ammo. It would be a big problem if I was to run out of ammo. I mean, that's part of why I want to learn magic, but it would be really nice if I could also make some."

Irinri stares at the round for a little, before doing something to it. Ruby can't tell, but she can feel that Irinri was doing some kind of magicy thing. She gets an odd look on her face, before doing it again to the other rounds.

Then Irinri slowly nods, and a huge smile grows on Ruby's face.

"I'm not sure how. But I think that you could make some if you had enough of the right mana. It's probably going to be inefficient but I can see places were something like this could revolutionize the protections against the dangerous forces against humanity." Irinri, put it down while making a thinking pose. "I'll write down what I can so that when we end up having to split up, you can have a copy of what I'm thinking."

She took a deep breath, before looking to Ruby and continuing. "Honestly you've already been more helpful then the last five Planeswalker's I've meet combined. So thank you." She finishes with a very pretty smile.

"You've meet other Planewalkers?" Ruby asked, while trying to hide the blush.

"Ruby, I'm over a millennium old. I've meet a few of your kind, and most are not so kind. I've even had a chance once to meet the Lord of Innistrad, a vampire even older then I am who's a Planeswalker as well."

Vampires?

"Nope. No idea what a vampire is."

Irinri was quite for a moment, just staring at her.

"Huh. I'm not sure the last time I ever heard of someone not knowing what a vampire is. Vampires are being that were once humans, that now need to drink human blood to survive. They never age and are vastly faster and stronger the a normal human, though I'm not sure how they would stand against you. All vampires have black scalra, and their eyes are normally gold, silver, or red. At least the ones on Innistrad are like that, I don't know about other planes." Irinri was quite for a moment, she looked like she was about to say something, before stopping and sighing.

"I would love to learn more about your plane, and whatever Aura is, but we should get back onto topic." She turned and started to walk out of the room, waving for Ruby to follow her. "Let's walk as we talk, it won't do to have all of this chatting in one room."

"So, earlier you were saying that Dust is mana?" Ruby asks as she follows after her.

"Indeed. Mana is the main source of energy that all magic draws power from. Mana travels and flows through the land along areas known as leylines. Think of leylines as rivers that the magical energies travel along, with them having their own branches and tributaries. Spellcasters can grow familiar with the lands that the mana travels through and form something known as a Mana Bond with it. When you form a Mana Bond with a location, you grow connected to the land and are able to draw the magical energies from the land. You grow a connection with the land by familiarizing yourself with the land and taking it in. While a great many number of locations that Mana Bonds can be formed with are out in the wilds, many builders are unknowingly drawn to erect monuments and buildings at sites that would make a strong Mana Bond."

As she says that last part, Irinri waves her hand around the church, making Ruby's eyes light up.

"Am I able to make a Mana Bond here? Is that why you wanted us to walk around?"

"Indeed," Irinri says with a smile, "Groveswatch and the Chapel were formed on an area that had connections to the land and mana. Due to the formation of the town, the mana here is now naturally white. Which gets to the last important aspect of mana and magic that is fundamental. Mana can be broken down into five different ideologies, which match five different colors"

As Irinri went on to continue to explain the different colors, Ruby couldn't help but think that she made the right decision to stay.

She's learning magic!

Last edited:
Uhmmm
1WR

Aura awakening

Enchantment - aura

This creature has " when blocking, add an aura counter to this creature. If it would be destroyed by combat damage, remove an aura counter instead and tap it. If tapped due to this effect, this creature does not untap on its owner's next untap step"

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Uhmmm
1WR

Aura awakening

Enchantment - aura

This creature has " when blocking, add an aura counter to this creature. If it would be destroyed by combat damage, remove an aura counter instead and tap it. If tapped due to this effect, this creature does not untap on its owner's next untap step"

Thoughts?

Hmm... interesting way to do that.

Uhmmm
1WR

Aura awakening

Enchantment - aura

Thoughts?
There's already a mechanic for auralike effects.

You can use shield counters

Chapter 3: Traveling the Woods
Ruby watches the sun start to rise, as she and Irinri stop at the front gate of Groveswatch. A week has passed since she arrived at the city, and both she and the angel are about to head out. Irinri said that she's needing to return to Thraben, and that she had put going back off for as long as she could.

While Ruby could stay in the town, she decided quickly that they don't seem to be having problems right now, so she wants to go and see more of Innistrad.

"Before you leave, there were some things that I wanted to give you" Irinri said, turning to Ruby. With a quick motion she passed over a letter to Ruby

"This letter," Irinri says as she Ruby takes the letter "is for the angels at the Elguad Grounds. The Elguad Grounds is the name of the church in Havengul, and the headquarters for the Goldnight Flight. If you are going to be staying on Innistrad and helping deal with the many horrors and monsters, they will be the ones able to help prepare you the best."

"Okay." Ruby says as she puts it in one of her belt pockets. "I don't know how to get to Havengul."

"I know, that's what this map is for." Irinri says as she passes said map to Ruby.

As Ruby looks down at the map that Irinri gives her, she feels her shoulders get lighter. She looks up to see that Irinri had somehow gotten her red cloak off her shoulders.

"Hey!"

"Don't worry." Irinri said with a smile, "You'll get it back in a moment." She floated to Ruby side and trailed her fingers over a path on the map. As Ruby looked at it she noticed a couple of locations on the maps had markings on it.

"If you follow this path, not only will you get to Havengul in a couple of days of walking, you should be able to form a few Mana Bonds. You will mostly be getting Green mana while you are still in Kessig, but once you pass into Nephalia you can find a more wide variety of mana. Gavony would give you some more white Mana, but Nephalia is better for variety. If you're going to be continuing with your Dust experiments, you're going to need a wide variety of mana of all colors." Irinri explained.

Ruby nods as she looks over the path. The first location that she'll be stopping at following this path is an isolated church along the path. It will probably take her personally a day or two, to get to the church. Most other people would likely take longer to do it.

The perks of having a speed based Semblance, even when she's not using it she's able to move much faster then most people without burning too much energy.

As she folds the map up and puts it into one of her belt pouches, she feels the weight return to her shoulders, and her hood fall onto her head.

"Their, I hope you like what I did." Irinri says, as she adjusts the cloak.

Looking it over, ruby notices very quickly that Irinri had re-positioned how the cloak was resting on her. Unlike before, where it had two pins holding it on to her combat dress, it now wraps around to have one much larger pin holding it on, with the pin on the right side. Instead of the pins being the two little crosses, it's now a single much larger pin, in the form of the Avacyn Collar.

"A gift," Irinri says, as she rests one hand on Ruby's shoulder. "I've enjoyed teaching you, and I'm sure you will do much to help." She gives Ruby a slightly sad smile, before speaking in a voice that sounded... almost bitter. "I'm not supposed to travel in the areas around Nephalia, so I'm not sure when, or if, we will see each other again."

"We'll see each other." Ruby says firmly, and gives her a smile. "I want to say goodbye before I leave Innistrad, so we'll see each other again."

Irinri gives a smile, and places a hand on her shoulder.

"Innistrad can be a cruel place Ruby. Don't let it rob you of that optimism, I don't see it enough around here." With those parting words, the angel started to float into the air. "Until we meet again, Ruby Rose."

And then she flew away, leaving Ruby at the gates.

With one last wave to the town, Ruby left to see Innistrad.

The forest around her was beautiful, and gave off a very mysterious vibe to it. She could feel the land and woods around her and the odd new mana that it gave her as she started to establish a bond with it. It wasn't like the white mana that she has had access to already. Given what Irinri had said about the colors and nature of mana, she's sure that this mana was green.

As she walked down the path, she pulled out her scroll to check something.

Scrolls had many functions, a lot of them rely on the CTT Network. You don't need it for recognizing other scrolls nearby, using programs or music on it, recording things or taking pictures, and stuff like the flashlight. The thing is that calls, using the internet, and the map should all need the Network.

Key word, should.

She had been fiddling with her scroll a couple of days ago, and found that the map actually was working.

It only showed the area around the town at the time, but as she looks at the map now, more of the forest is growing and being seen on her map.

Ruby had spoken with Irinri about it for a while, and Ruby found a possible theory about what was going on.

Scrolls could interact with a users Aura. Mostly it's able to do stuff like read your aura to measure it, but Scrolls can also charge themselves off of Aura if you don't have access to an electric charger. She knows that was a feature that was invented to help Hunters who would spend long times away from towns.

Her theory, was that the Scrolls ability to interact with someones Aura, was allowing it to connect to her Mana Bonds as well. Irinri didn't know enough about Scrolls to be able to say if it was true or not, but what Ruby is seeing is pushing that thought as being true.

The thing that Ruby had been far more surprised about, was to learn that Irinri didn't know about Auras. Apparently no one has managed to unlock their Aura on Innistrad.

It was a very odd thing to think about. Aura has been part of her life ever sense she was a child. It's something that happens when you are the child of a team of Hunters, but the idea that they didn't know about Aura at all was weird.

Ruby really wished that she knew how to unlock other peoples Aura.

When she had explained Aura to Irinri, it had naturally lead to the question of how to unlock Aura. The easiest way, and the most common way, was for someone with their own Aura unlocked to help activate the other's Aura. The problem is that she doesn't know what your supposed to do for that, and she knows even less on the older methods of unlocking Aura. Those methods are supposed to be ones that are doing it yourself, but all she knows is that it's supposed to be some sort of cross between exercise, art, and meditation.

Not really helpful when that's all she knows about it.

If she had learned how to unlock Aura, she would have gone ahead an unlocked it for Irinri and all the guards in the town.

She promised to learn how to unlock Aura when she gets home, and come back and help unlock the Aura of others.

On a different note, Ruby had gotten the notes that Irinri had on Dust from her magic senses, along with a number of notes on some spells that she could learn. Ruby already went ahead and uploaded thous into her Scroll, but for now she's keeping them with her just in case something happens to her Scroll.

Ruby's made some attempts to make the Dust on her own, using the notes and her own knowledge of Dust to start on the work, but she's had some problems with it. She thinks that she just doesn't have enough power for the spell yet. It keeps feeling like the Dust is trying to form, but doesn't have the energy to do it, so the spell just fizzles out.

It's part of why she's so exited about the Mana Bond she's forming with the forest. Not only does it provide a possible new side for the creation of different Dust, but once she's got enough power she'll be able to start making the Dust.

As tempting as it would be to start trying to work with making the Dust now that she's gotten the bond, she thinks she'll wait until she's gotten to the chapel tonight start trying to work with the Dust.

As the road takes a curve and she looks out, she feels her breath once again be taken away from her.

Rolling hills of misty woods lay before her, with in the distance a lone isolated church peaking out through the woods, and in the distance were long and tall mountains. The trees are all tall and waving leaves of muted reds, golds, and greens, forming a mysterious and beautiful vista that she's never seen anywhere before.

After a moment of thought, Ruby pulled out her scroll to take a picture.

There is no way she wants to forget about this sight.

Though more important then her sight seeing, she can see the church that she's supposed to be visiting. And going by the map Irinri gave her, she would get another Mana Bond there.

The trip to the chapel is quiet, with the occasional use of Petal Burst to get her closer without draining her Aura too much. Oddly enough her Aura seems to be staying up and strong for longer then she would expect it to, she not sure what is going on their, but she doesn't figure it's that important.

She arrives to the chapel as the sun was starting to meet the horizon, and slowly pushes her way into the church.

"Hello?" She calls out to the building.

It's quite for a moment, before she hears movement from deeper inside the chapel. She slowly enters as as she hears whoever it is coming up front. The chapel isn't as big as the one in Groveswatch, but it's still a nice building. She does see more gargoyles around it then she did at Groveswatch though, she thinks as she sits down in one of the pews.

The man that came out was wearing white robes, much like Irinri's robes, though with some differences here and there.

"Hello traveler." The priest said, as he walks closer to her. "Are you going through the pass?"

"Yes," Ruby answers, "I was told I could get some help outside of Kessig."

"Not many travelers are willing to risk traveling Breakneck Pass." The priest says as he sits down in next to her.

"It's about the only way out of Kessig if you can't fly." She says.

"Very true, the angels can travel far easier then we can." He's quite for a moment, as he looks up to the gargoyles up in the rafters. "Which passage are you going to be taking?"

"I'm crossing the Briar Bridge."

"Hmm..." He says, looking out as if to recall something. "I believe some Scab Stitchers have been seen in that area. I know some of the Goldnight angels and Cathars have been sent to try and clear the pass, but if they have not arrived yet, be wary for the undead."

"Thank you for the warning." Ruby says with a smile that was growing a bit more tired. "Is their anywhere I can sleep before I continue?"

"Of course." The priest says, "Come, we have a few rooms for travelers"

As Ruby walks with the priest, she starts to feel out with her magic, and feels as the land starts to respond to her. It was odd, it took her much longer then this to start to connect to the woods, she had been on road for two days and was only getting the bond today. Yet she's already getting the connection here?

Actually, Irinri did say something about people have different affinities for the five colors. Does that mean she's better with White Mana then with Green Mana?

"Here we are," the priest says, as he leads her to a door. "I will leave you to it, will I see you in the morning?"

"Probably, I'm not in any kind of a rush to leave."

"Then I bid you goodnight." The man said, with a slight bow, before he left back down the hallway.

The room itself, Ruby finds once she enters, is a rather simple room with just a few decorations. The decoration do feel like they hold magical protections, each and every one of them having the Avacyn Collar on them somewhere.

Ruby sits down in the middle of the room, and takes a moment to prepare herself for her next experiment in making some Dust.

As she reaches out with... whatever it is that she reaches out with to grab the mana, she can...

Okay magic is hard to describe!

Like, the mana she's feeling? Feeling, has a... for lack of better words taste. The mana from this church is rather odd, not like the mana from the other church in Groveswatch. In Groveswatch the mana felt like it was...

Simple? Complete?

They don't feel right, but they are perhaps the closest description.

This church has two different manas connected to it. She's pretty sure that she could only actually draw on one without pushing the other down so much she couldn't reach it. With a little experimenting, she does find that she's right, when she starts to reach for the white mana, whatever that other mana is, it retreats as the white pools out.

She's not sure what that other mana is, so she'll leave that be for now.

For now, she pulls out the White mana, and starts shaping the mana into the spell that she had been taught by Irinri. Irinri had called it Piercing Light, a simple spell that sent out a beam of light that would cut or burn through what it's cast at. Irinri said that most werewolves wouldn't be killed by the spell, but it would give her something to work with for both her Dust experiments, and give her a start to combat spells.

With the spell formed in her hands, she started to draw on the Mana Bond from the Groveswatch's watch church, and starts to try and crystalize the spell.

Sweat starts to form at her forhead as she focuses, watching the light in her hands shrink and shift and change and move and -

There!

The mana starts to turn into a white crystal in her hands and-

No! She's running out of mana!

Quickly, she reaches out and grabs at the mana from the forest and dumps it into the spell-

"Ow!"

She flinches as the crystals rapidly grow out of the one that was forming in her hand, but also out of her skin!

She lets out a breath as the mana fades...

But the Dust is still in her hands!

She did it!

But, OW!

If she had to make a wild guess, she should have continued to slowly feed the spell with mana instead of panicking at the last moment and dumping the spell full of mana. That's probably what happened to cause the damage, and since it came from out of her skin, that's probably why her Aura didn't protect her.

As Ruby winces as she starts to pull the fragments of the Dust Crystal from her skin, she starts to notice some oddities of it.

She had thought, given that she was using a light based spell, that what she was going to make was Hard Light Dust. But this Dust is white, and Hard Light Dust is a cyan color. She doesn't have a lot of experience with Hard Light Dust, it's very expensive to buy due to how hard it is to make, but she is positive that this is not Hard Light Dust.

Once she's sure that her hand is patched up, she makes a quick mental note to start looking into healing spells, and then reaches to one of the pouches on her belt and starts pulling out tools.

Honestly, she's so happy she became a Planeswalker when on a camping training trip. If it had been any other time she likely wouldn't actually have some of this stuff on her.

The tools in question were a for creating Dust Bullets and maintaining Crescent Rose. Once she finishes making as many magazines of ammo for Crescent Rose, she'll be taking her lovely scythe apart and doing what she can to maintain it.

As she looks over the crystal again with her tools, she decided that whatever this is, she's not sure it's ever been seen before. White Dust is normally Wind Dust, and while Wind Dust isn't one she has a lot of experience with, she can confirm that this isn't that. She has a pair of glasses, that are a lot like a jewelers glasses, and after checking it over she can confirm that it has enough similarities to Hard Light Dust, that it's close but not the same.

Maybe Hard Light Dust would be like an illusion spell made into Dust?

Whatever it is, Ruby's happy to finally have some new ammo.

Maybe Hard Light Dust would be like an illusion spell made into Dust?

Whatever it is, Ruby's happy to finally have some new ammo.

I tried looking it up but it's hard to find definitive information, but it seems like you might specifically need Fire dust to use as bullet propellant? All the various ____ Rounds use the various other dust types for the projectile, but still use Fire dust to actually propel the projectile.

I tried looking it up but it's hard to find definitive information, but it seems like you might specifically need Fire dust to use as bullet propellant? All the various ____ Rounds use the various other dust types for the projectile, but still use Fire dust to actually propel the projectile.

Maybe? At least in cannon. Here Dust has magic effects and isn't going to actually be needing stuff like fire dust for bullet propellant.

Most of the guns in RWBY are basically just energy weapons anyways.

Hi,
thanks for the chapters.

I would expect the dust to be a mix, (hard?) Light and some unknown/unconventional dust (e.g. Piercing).

I imagine she is Red White primary secondary blue and probably tertiary green whilst having significant issue with Black
Especially if her eyes are mono-white (the whole connection to life, order, and stasis suggests this to be the case). Much of the easily available/visible black magic hews too closely to the grimm in theme/style for Ruby to be open to them. Would be nice to see her use some in the long run , it certainly wouldn't come easily to her as she has connections to the rest of the colors (her interest/skill in crafting mecha shift weaponry fits blue/colorless well) and reasons to avoid black.

My guess is if she does end up with black mana she will use it on making dust and that would be about it I would think mostly in an attempt to recreate Gravity dust

Last edited:
Back