Robocraft! (Y'all Should Play From the Depths)

Say what you will about the recycle rates of parts, I opened my first proto crate with the daily login.

SHIELD MONDUAL FTW, 4th item, no prem needed :rofl:.

A glimmer of hope.
- FJ really listens to feedback on this one!

The following patch notes are based on pre-Armorgeddon values. (Example: So a +50% increase to health means it's the same as during Armorgeddon and a +25% buff to health means it's half way between the health before and during Armorgeddon)
NEW:
  • Strafing movement modes have been added to the Mech Leg and Insect Leg movement components
  • Strafing mode can be activated via the settings menu – We intend to have this settable per garage bay in the near future, but for now it's global
  • When activated, a robot using strafing mode turns to face the direction the crosshair is facing
  • Buttons for turning left and right in classic control mode (default: A&D) cause your robot to strafe left and right when using strafing mode (similar to typical third-person shooter controls)

BALANCE:
  • All Health and Shield values on all parts (Armor, Hardware, Movement etc..) have been increased by 50% except for the following:
    • Ion Distorter health has been increased by 25% instead of 50% (this is an overall nerf)
    • Aeroflak health has been increased by 25% instead of 50% (this is an overall nerf)
  • Mega Lasers now take 5 seconds longer to run out of power at nominal laser count, all other lasers take 10 seconds longer at nominal laser count
  • All Plasma now shoot an additional 25% more shots per full power bar (how many shots is relative to the size of the plasma)
  • Plasma area of effect has been increased by (Smallest to largest) 200%, 116%, 75%, 50%, 33%, 0% – For frame of reference, Mega Plasma now has a 66% bigger area of effect than the smallest plasma (pulser)
  • Ion Distorter accuracy has been reduced by 25% – We wanted to keep the powerful impact of Ion Distorters when in very close range, but we felt it was too effective at mid-range. This change will give players longer to shoot off Ion Distorters before taking critical damage, but without taking away the unique super close range benefits of the weapon
  • Proto Seeker damage increased by 10%
  • With the increase to overall time-to-kill, weapons that rely on a strong alpha strike are overall weaker as the likelihood of dealing critical damage is greatly reduced. Rail and LOML felt a lot less impactful because of this change so they're getting a slight tuning up
    • Rail damage increased by 10%
    • LOML damage increased by 10%

BATTLE ARENA:
  • Battle Arena Tower crystal health increased by 25%
  • Battle Arena Base crystal health increased by 75%

SALVAGE CRATES:
  • Daily Salvage Crates now award 4+4 items instead of the previous 1+1
  • Salvage Crates now have an increased chance to drop rare components (in exchange for a reduced chance to get common and uncommon components)
  • Glass cubes have been reduced from Rare to Uncommon, but will keep their Rare recycle rate for one week from now
  • Lettered Carbon6 cubes have been reduced from Epic to Rare, but will keep their Epic recycle rate for one week from now

MISC:
  • Score awarded for destroying Protonium Crystals in Battle Arena has been reduced by 25%
  • Added commas to numbers beyond 999! \o/

Not only did they keep the +50% HP, they made various other tweaks that almost entirely came from player feedback. Less extra HP for INDs, less energy consumption for Lasers and plasma, etc.

A glimmer of hope.
- FJ really listens to feedback on this one!

Not only did they keep the +50% HP, they made various other tweaks that almost entirely came from player feedback. Less extra HP for INDs, less energy consumption for Lasers and plasma, etc.
Epic loot is still epic shit though.

All they had to do was add robits to the crates, but apparently this goes against their random lottery based economy that they want for some retarded reason.

I for one will still not be giving them a thumbs up.

Last edited:
Epic loot is still epic shit though.

All they had to do was add robits to the crates, but apparently this goes against their random lottery based economy that they want for some retarded reason.

I for one will still not be giving them a thumbs up.

Oh I'm not changing my review - in fact someone provided a new dataset of Protonium drop rates. So I'm going to take that, run the stats on drops again and combine with average recycle rates to really show how bad it is no matter what you do.

Also thanks to timezones, Overwatch comes out tonight for me. :D

Oh man, I got curious on just how low the probability is to get 12 of the same epic gun to drop... so I figured it out and wrote it up on the RC forums:

TL;DR - For a 90% chance at getting 12+ of one specific epic gun, you need to open 8,000 Protonium crates.
One minor mistake here - the nominal count for epic-level guns is only 6, not 12. Still ridiculous though.

Wow. So I haven't really played RC in nearly 2 weeks. Jumped on quickly since I saw there was a new update.

5x heal rate for 15 seconds upon respawning? lol Carrying a dumbass, shit team just became nearly impossible. Back to not playing RC...

Wow. So I haven't really played RC in nearly 2 weeks. Jumped on quickly since I saw there was a new update.

5x heal rate for 15 seconds upon respawning? lol Carrying a dumbass, shit team just became nearly impossible. Back to not playing RC...
Just 1 slight problem... I suck at building armour correctly and I don't want to make a tesseract....

Fun fact, it doesn't even work properly. You can still out damage that healing with a mega plasma, shotgun, or tesla blades, so you can still spawn camp a team to death. All that thing does is further nerf smgs yet again.

I think tesseracts are less of a problem, actually. More time to react. Even when they were catching me by surprise in my hover SMG I could wipe the floor with them as mine is significantly tankier and has more gun redundancy.

Well, this is worth a bump:

E: Someone made this a few days ago - it's the active players from steam with updates attached. Epic Loot came in at #12, and it's been nearly 2 years since that came out - almost half of RC's lifetime. This is too little, too late.

Last edited:
Shame that the game was ruined like this. It had so much potential. I agree that outside of a limited number of games, loot boxes are truly cancer, especially if they give an unfair advantage to the lucky ones.

I also noticed that the game participation took a nose dive around the time the towers were implemented. I say get rid of that and I think people maybe will come back. And I said maybe because it might be already too late.

Shame that the game was ruined like this. It had so much potential. I agree that outside of a limited number of games, loot boxes are truly cancer, especially if they give an unfair advantage to the lucky ones.

I also noticed that the game participation took a nose dive around the time the towers were implemented. I say get rid of that and I think people maybe will come back. And I said maybe because it might be already too late.

What's kind of missing from the post-tower crash on the graph was FJ also released the Team Orders update which destroyed the tier system. That's what really caused that nose-dive.

Sooooo.....

This is rather interesting news. FJ suddenly announced that Robocraft 2 (which was, so far, not looking very appealing) is basically being scrapped. They're going to rebuild it from the ground up, specifically to recreate Robocraft.... from the 2014-20215 era.

we have decided to rebuild Robocraft 2 from the ground up to be much closer to OG (from the 2014-2015 era)

Follow the FAQ for more. Looks like they are also explicitly going to not have the CRF return (probably because few creative players used it, and popular bots just got used by many players.)

At this stage, I'm not holding my breath. They razed their good will to the ground. As it develops I will at least take a peek at it. I would absolutely love to be able to go back to play some '14-'15 era RC with fewer bugs and more game modes.

It only took Mark/FreeJam 8 years to get a clue as to what actually attracted people to Robocraft.

Back