Rewriting the Divine Story (Original CK2)

Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Cornelius Hawking, former worshiper of the "One True Goddess" and current Dark Lord, seeks to change the world for the better. Now, if only people would accept his help...
Endings are Beginnings / Turn Zero

Kkutlord

Prince of Breath
So this is my first time attempting a Quest like this, and I've mainly gotten inspired to do this because of stuff like Nianque's Spyro Kingdom and King Crimson's Supervillain in The DC Universe. I'm not really familiar with Crusader Kings, but I prefer doing my own original thing anyways so... Let's just get this started.

----

"There are many kinds of stories, though ultimately all you need to do is change the tone or perspective. Mighty hero slaying a wicked beast and thus freeing a kingdom? Happy! Majestic beast that has suffered constantly, only to be killed by the protector of the ones responsible? Sad..."

"Honestly, you can make anything sound bad or good if you just view it differently. Like... the disciple of a Goddess growing disillusioned, deciding to cast her down with the help of a powerful Demon? Sounds pretty bad, yeah..."

"But, instead! Why not view it as the Goddess being proud, that someone finally saw the Demon as something worthy of happiness? That makes me smile, knowing that even one born to suffer can become happy."

Hearing an explosion, the pink-haired woman steps up from her throne- and smiles as a man advances down the blue/white carpet. The man's eyes burn red with power, his once pristine blue/white uniform turning black from damage.

All in all, he is clearly not a friend... yet the pink-haired woman just smiles, standing in front of her throne without a concern. "Hey Neil, so happy-" She is interrupted as a ball of burning darkness flies past her head.

"Shut up, don't call me that. You know fully well why I'm here..." The man is content with continuing his slow advance, power flaring around him. The woman pouts cutely, before playfully whining.

"Ah come on, you're suppose to give an "evil monologue" about what you'll do once I'm gone! At least make this fun for me, ya know? I'm really gonna miss you..."

The man stops for a moment, looking at his former Goddess... and he simply scoffs before continuing. "Like you'll really be gone, you could of easily snuffed me out if I hadn't arranged a deal with Dominique."

The pink-haired woman's smile finally falters a bit, as she responds. "Malum is... no, of course. Just make sure she knows my real name, okay? I am... Fabula. Goodbye, Cornelius, make sure she's happy okay?"

Seeing his Goddess crying tears, even as she puts on a smile... Cornelius hesitates. Yet, where were these tears before he wondered... and Cornelius steeled his nerve for what had to be done.

Pointing his right hand forward palm open, a bolt of magic tears through his... through Fabula's chest. She just continues to cry and smile, even as her body fades away into disappearing gold dust.

It was then Cornelius realized why she stood right in front of her throne: laying in the seat is a newborn, so peaceful and small he never would of noticed them. Leaning in closer, Cornelius just lets out a soft sigh.

"Of course she would do this..." The daughter of his once-Goddess, completely oblivious to the death of her own mother... Even at the end, the Goddess of Story had one last tale to tell huh?

Fine, he'll just make the child part of his own story then.

----

Turn Zero (Six Years)

Unique as Turns go, Turn Zero is all about setting the starting conditions of Cornelius Hawking's reign. Proceeding Turns will cover significantly less time, and Turn Zero is mainly a thing to allow for more customization than just what role Fabula's Daughter has.

Martial: 1 Action

[] Secure "Storyteller's Overlook" DC 0
The religious capital of Historiarum and where the majority of Fabula's worship was focused, taking it over for yourself & Dominique would nicely cement your victory. Plus, it would greatly cripple worship of Fabula letting the "Demon Goddess" defile the sacred temple into a dark palace.

[] Set root in Dolor, the "City of Vice and Tragedy" DC 70
Alternatively there's already a perfectly serviceable city under Dominique's influence, though she does despise the place... Still, taking all those rejected by Historiarum and making them the beacon of tomorrow does appeal to your narrative sense.

[] Overtake the "Palace of Blades" DC 120
Of course, just because Fabula is gone doesn't mean there's no opposition. The Blitzblade Royal Family are knight kings, strongly supportive of Fabula and in turn favored by her. Though they wouldn't dare confront the "Dark Sorcerer" backed by the "Demon Goddess", they will hinder your plans.

Diplomacy: 2 Actions

[] Establish your newfound authority DC 0
With Fabula gone, at least for now, the people of Historiarum will be confused and uncertain. It would be easy to enlighten them, of how their Goddess failed and why you & Dominique were the ones who truly cared.

[] Elevate the social status of Succubi DC 0
Being the followers and descendants of Dominique, Succubi are looked on poorly. Yet in these confusing times, it would be easy enough to reveal how kind-hearted and sweet they are... well, the ones who haven't gone rogue anyways.

[] Form a Census of talented individuals DC 60
If you're going to grow this empire and make this mortal realm a paradise, you're going to need more people of skill and potential. Even Dominique can only do so much, being the Goddess of Tragedy is limiting like that.

[] Convince Historiarum to abandon Fabula DC 150
Even with Fabula gone, convincing the entirety of Historiarum to give up on her is a fool's errand. It would be much easier to solidify your influence first, gradually chipping away at supporters like the Blitzblades. Still, your goal of reshaping society as a whole would be much easier if you succeeded somehow...

Stewardship: 1 Action

[] Fortify your budding empire DC 0
You will have many enemies, people seeking to bring down your "Dark Kingdom". It is only natural to make your lands safe against invasion, to make it difficult to destroy. You intend to save humanity, you will not let fools prevent salvation for everyone.

[] Secure free access to food and water DC 30
Though your empire should be safe from hunger and thirst, the way things are now you will unfortunately need to obtain it from elsewhere. Making sure your territories can safely get food & water without having to bargain for it from Fabula worshipers will make sure no one betrays you out of necessity.

Intrigue: 1 Action

[] Poison public opinion of Fabula DC 0
Though you cannot break her influence completely, people will already be questioning what to do with her gone. The true believers won't be swayed, but you can deny them of allies. Let's see how well things go for them when they punish the new "demon worshipers".

[] Seek beyond Historiarum for allies DC 0
Historiarum may be a big place, but there are travel expeditions all the time across the "Eternal Sea". Sure other people haven't been found yet, but between you & Dominique it would be easy to rig up a "life compass".

[] Trick the Blitzblades into abandoning Fabula DC 150
Honestly, if it wasn't for Dominique's domain, you would consider this absolutely impossible. Even then, it would be a lot of work for even a Goddess, as the Blitzblades would surely notice any obvious tragedy. Still, getting even one Blitzblade to turn or have doubts...

Learning: 1 Action

[] Build up the collective quality of Magic DC 0
This mighty power, to defy reality with one's soul... It allowed you to rampage through Fabula's temple, yet it can also heal people that medicine cannot. Improving access to it, creating facilities for training, being an empire of magic would make things easier.

[] Refine the power of tools and understanding DC 0
On the other hand, not all magic users are made equal. Inevitably there will be people who will try to find shortcuts, not to mention the chaos that'll happen as Wild Magic is produced from attempts to use "anti-magic". Even without bending reality, the natural world is capable of much when applied properly...

Personal: 1 Unique Action

[] The role Fabula's Daughter shall have... DC 0
-[] Your apprentice, she'll have a natural knack for magic... but power like that could be dangerous.
-[] Your loyal knight, focusing her power as your guardian is safer... but if she takes being a hero too seriously?
-[] Your personal servant, it would keep her close and she'll be too weak to betray you... but too weak to help.

----

Plan voting only, and (for now) no Moratorium since this is my first Quest like this. Speaking of, the Mechanics would be pretty straight forward: I'll roll a D100 and add a character's stat bonus to decide how well you do.

The results change depending on how much you failed or succeeded an action by. So hitting the needed number or a little higher/lower, the results aren't that impressive. Nat 100s are always big deals, whereas Nat 1s are terrible enough it'll still taint a success- unless the DC is 0 or lower.

I don't want to make things too complicated, at least yet, so the only way to go over 100 is via character bonuses. Currently Cornelius is the only proper Hero Unit, whereas Dominique is mainly only helping because it is Turn Zero. She can be secured as a proper Unit later on, but well... she is a Goddess.

So to wrap it up, multiple characters can be assigned to one action and I'll make it clear when specific character combinations would have special effects. Things will be modified if needed/pointed out.

Character Information
Stats
Ordinary: 0-10
Peak: 10-20
Heroic: 20-30
Legend: 30-40
Divine: 40-50+

Cornelius Hawking

Martial: 25
Diplomacy: 22
Stewardship: 20
Intrigue: 20
Learning: 30

Bonds
Dominique: 5/10
The infamous "Demon Goddess", it was her Cornelius turned to when he lost faith in Fabula. Bonding over their mutual loathing of her, both view the other as a valuable ally. Though, they have yet to truly become friends.

Valerie Nexus: 8/10
The daughter of Fabula, Cornelius raised her as his apprentice initially to groom her as a tool. Instead, he ended up surprised by how likable she is, and acts more like a father even though he tries denying it.

Traits
Angel of Darkness: When working alongside Dominique or on an action she desires, add +10 when assigned.
The Abyssal King: When acting for the benefit of his people or when opposing his enemies, add +10 when assigned

Valerie Nexus

Martial: 15
Diplomacy: 12
Stewardship: 10
Intrigue: 10
Learning: 20

Bonds
Cornelius Hawking: 8/10
The man who raised her, the one who taught her magic, Valerie adores Cornelius as her "papa" even though she doesn't call him that to his face. Really enjoys when they do magic stuff together.

Dominique: ?/10
Some powerful pretty lady people call a Goddess, but she's just some weirdo in Valerie's opinion. Confused why "papa" seems to like her so much, or why anyone gets offended by Valerie's casual disregard of her.

Zena Zero

Martial: 25
Diplomacy: 15
Stewardship: 15
Intrigue: 15
Learning: 18

Bonds
Cornelius Hawking: 3/10
She respects the "Abyssal King" as someone with good intentions, but doesn't really have a rapport with him. She is a little wary, but appreciates the opportunity working alongside him provides.

Dominique

Martial: 40
Diplomacy: 30
Stewardship: 30
Intrigue: 50
Learning: 40

Bonds
Cornelius Hawking: 5/10
The new "Dark Lord", Cornelius turned to her when he lost faith in Fabula. Bonding over their mutual loathing of her, both view the other as a valuable ally. Though, they have yet to truly become friends.

Traits
Goddess of Tragedy: All actions that specifically involve making people suffer or helping them recover gain +20 when she's assigned.
The Demon Goddess: All actions that involve peacefully interacting with Fabula worshipers suffer -30 when she's assigned.
The Dark Mother: All actions that involve interacting with or helping her followers gain +20 when she's assigned.

Last edited:
[X] Plan City Of Vice
-[X] Set root in Dolor, the "City of Vice and Tragedy" DC 70
-[X] Establish your newfound authority DC 0
-[X] Elevate the social status of Succubi DC 0
-[X] Secure free access to food and water DC 30
-[X] Poison public opinion of Fabula DC 0
-[X] Refine the power of tools and understanding DC 0
-[X] The role Fabula's Daughter shall have... DC 0
--[X] Your apprentice, she'll have a natural knack for magic... but power like that could be dangerous.

Regarding the "role for Fabula's Daughter" action, it'll affect her stats and Cornelius' as well if the result is high enough. I wouldn't worry about it in particular though, as she's meant to be pretty important.

Besides that, there'll be options that have synergistic value if picked. For example "Secure Storyteller's Overlook" + "Poison public opinion of Fabula" works well together, and there'll generally be several combos each Turn.

[X] plan minions assemble!

[X] Secure "Storyteller's Overlook"
[X] Establish your newfound authority
[X] Form a Census of talented individuals
[X] Secure free access to food and water
[X] Seek beyond Historiarum for allies
[X] Build up the collective quality of Magic
[X] The role Fabula's Daughter shall have...
-[x] Your loyal knight, focusing her power as your guardian is safer... but if she takes being a hero too seriously?

We need min...firends!!!

I'll close the vote sometime tonight, get up a brief Hero Unit assignment vote, and then release the Turn Zero Results tomorrow. Some of the unpicked options will carryover for Turn 1 & beyond, but the DC will go up.

The in-universe reason would be because people had adjusted by then, and it is mainly so easy right now due to all the confusion from Fabula being removed. Cornelius will also have an easier time getting Traits for Turn Zero.

Turn Zero Assignment
The winner is "Plan City Of Vice", which admittedly does surprise me a little. Still, since Turn Zero is essentially the "Character Customization" stage, and how everything in "City of Vice" is pretty focused area-wise...

For Turn Zero only, Cornelius applies his stat bonus to all actions. He can still be assigned to an action, which narrative-wise would be considered him putting more focus on it.

Dominique's "Goddess of Tragedy" Trait would trigger for "Poison public opinion", whereas her "Dark Mother" Trait would trigger for everything else save "Establish authority". Dominique cannot be assigned to the "Fabula's Daughter" action.

Martial

Diplomacy

Stewardship

Intrigue

Learning

Personal
-[] Your apprentice, she'll have a natural knack for magic... but power like that could be dangerous.

The winner is "Plan City Of Vice", which admittedly does surprise me a little. Still, since Turn Zero is essentially the "Character Customization" stage, and how everything in "City of Vice" is pretty focused area-wise...

For Turn Zero only, Cornelius applies his stat bonus to all actions. He can still be assigned to an action, which narrative-wise would be considered him putting more focus on it.

Dominique's "Goddess of Tragedy" Trait would trigger for "Poison public opinion", whereas her "Dark Mother" Trait would trigger for everything else save "Establish authority". Dominique cannot be assigned to the "Fabula's Daughter" action.

Martial

Diplomacy

Stewardship

Intrigue

Learning

Personal
So are we basically picking 1 action for Cornelius and 1 for Dominique?

So are we basically picking 1 action for Cornelius and 1 for Dominique?

You could assign them both to the same action, but personally I would put Dominique on "Set root in Dolor" and Cornelius on "Secure free access to food/water". Mostly because it'll nullify any chance of failure, though you'll still get Dolor even with a failure... I don't recommend failing it.

[X][Dominique] Set root in Dolor, the "City of Vice and Tragedy" DC 70

[X][Cornelius] Secure free access to food and water DC 30

[X][Cornelius] Set root in Dolor, the "City of Vice and Tragedy" DC 70

Turn Zero Results
Turn Zero

Roll: 82 + 20 (Bonus) + 40 (Dominique) + 20 (Dark Mother) = 162

Roll: 5 + 20 (Bonus) = 25

Dominique was... not happy, that you decided to ignore Storyteller's Overlook for her 'own' city of Dolor. In response you explain it'll be even more offensive to Fabula's worshipers, given the narrative that'd be: Dolor, City of Vice becomes City of Hope and Progress?

That excites her, and she just cackles with laughter. Hmm, there's a story between the two... Still, it doesn't matter, as you got an empire to establish. Now if only people would acknowledge you...

Results: Dolor is firmly your base of operations, from where your empire and salvation of humanity shall grow. Dominique is seen as the much bigger influence though, having forced Dolor into a semblance of coherence and pruning it of crime. Cornelius gains Trait Angel of Darkness, the people seeing him more as Dominique's 'mortal' agent.

Roll: 90 + 20 (Bonus) = 110

Roll: 54 + 20 (Bonus) + 20 (Cornelius) = 94

Roll: 71 + 20 (Bonus) = 91

The Succubi, on the other hand, are much more appreciative of your efforts. While they naturally benefit a lot from Dominique completely taking over Dolor from the corrupt leaders, it was still just one city...

Then you arranged for the creation of farmland, procurement of livestock, and secured perpetual access to clean water via stealing a lake nobody was using. That alone made many happy, given how they no longer need to barter with other people for good food and water.

Yet what really sold them was how you didn't stop at Dolor. Getting more people to turn against Fabula is important, and knowing how Succubi & their children are discriminated against...

Well, that managed to galvanize a lot of people once they got past their biases. Sure Succubi still aren't equal everywhere, but... You've done pretty good so far.

Result: Succubi are strongly supportive of "The Dark Lord", seeing him as someone who actually will make the world better. Succubi are able to get around Historiarum a lot easier, and a lot of pressure from been taken off Dolor citizens now they don't need to worry about food & water. Cornelius gains the Trait Abyssal King, loved by his people and reviled by his foes.

Roll: 37 + 20 (Bonus) = 57

It wasn't quite the success you were hoping for, though your efforts have managed to make it one of the cleanest cities around. Besides that, the average level of education is pretty impressive now, but scholar cities & major settlements are still consistently better.

Still, people both within and beyond Dolor have taken notice, so perhaps you should recruit some people soon. There's plenty of opportunities now that Dolor is much more civilized...

Result: Dolor is surprisingly functional for a "den of depravity" and the "Dark Lord's home", though it could still be so much more. Easier time getting people trained though.

Roll: 89 + 20 (Bonus) = 109

Being honest to yourself, you intended to use her as just a tool. The power of your former Goddess, subverted to your cause... It was the whole reason you betrayed Fabula to begin with.

But... that inquisitiveness, that cheerfulness, she really managed to grow on you. It... feels awkward, seeing her adore you so much, oblivious to how you orphaned and kidnapped her...

Still, even when you have a bad day, teaching Valerie cheers you right up. Like you thought, she has a natural knack for magic, though being honest you don't think you even needed to convince her incantations were necessary...

Besides that, her physiology is confusing... Six years old, yet instead she looks like a twelve year old. Even then, you suspect she just looks like a child, given how easily she's capable of learning. Something to research, you suppose...

Result: Gained Hero Unit "Valerie Nexus", precious apprentice / totally-not-daughter who really wants to call Cornelius papa. Cornelius gains +2 Diplomacy, +5 Learning. Have worked on numerous magical projects, mostly to test Valerie. Dominique is... weird about her, tends to avoid Valerie and unfortunately Cornelius as a side-effect.

----

A/N: Turn 1 will be later today, and admittedly I would like some feedback. I never done this kind of Quest before, so it would be really appreciated. Oh, for those who were curious: Fabula's Daughter had a different (first) name and personality for each option, as well as personal meaning to Cornelius.

So "Knight" would of been more like a sister, whereas "Maid" would of secretly had a crush on him. They would of even had different appearances, though mainly because their personality would of shaped their magic. "Knight" and "Maid" may show up later as their own characters, to that end.

Turn One
The courtyard garden of Cornelius the Abyssal King is quite well-maintained, despite the fact there never appear to be gardeners maintaining it. Naturally most people just assume it is a divine blessing from Dominique... Well, they're not wrong about the divine part.

Kneeling on the ground is a dark haired young girl, dressed in a black cloak usually reserved for witches. Humming to herself cheerfully as she eyes the patch of newly planted seeds, she calls out in a sing-song tone.

"Grow, grow, make them beautiful!~" Her eyes flashing gold for a split second, the seeds suddenly sprout- and in just seconds they've fully grown, revealing them to be rare flowers grown both out of season and their normal habitat.

"Oh, when did you learn about those Valerie?" Turning around, Valerie smiles excitedly as her papa steps forward to examine her work. His gloved hands feeling the petals for a few moments, Cornelius smiles at her.

"You certainly did a good job, keep it up and we'll have the best apothecaries in all of Historiarum." Cornelius ruffling her hair, Valerie pouts in annoyance but they both know she's just pretending.

Indeed, she quickly smiles at his praise and chirps "Thank you Master!" Really, Valerie knows she has the best papa in the world. Now, what can she do to help...

----

Turn One (3 Months)

It has been six years since the 'death' of Goddess Fabula, since you (or rather Dominique) took over the infamous Dolor, and in that time you have made decent headway in establishing yourself.

The only person the Succubi like more than you is Dominique, Dolor went from being a cesspool to the self-sufficient jewel of your empire, and even still Fabula's worshipers have yet to regain all their lost power & influence.

Though your crowning achievement is undoubtedly Valerie, the daughter of Fabula herself. With just a few words and a twist of her will, she can bring forth miracles. Though... you definitely need to focus more on magical research if you're going to maximize her abilities.

Martial: 1 Action

[] Recruit a Martial adviser DC ???
Though there are few people you trust, ultimately you cannot do everything. Things have stabilized and Dolor is no longer a mess, so all the easy work is gone.

[] Establish a proper armed force DC 20
While you're a powerful mage with one and a half Goddesses supporting you, none of you can be everywhere. So training and outfitting your citizens would allow for Dolor to be protected in your absence.

[] Overtake the "Palace of Blades" DC 150
Of course, just because Fabula is gone doesn't mean there's no opposition. The Blitzblade Royal Family are knight kings, strongly supportive of Fabula and in turn favored by her. Though they wouldn't dare confront the "Dark Sorcerer" backed by the "Demon Goddess", they will hinder your plans.

Diplomacy: 1 Action

[] Recruit a skilled Diplomat DC ???
Though there are few people you trust, ultimately you cannot do everything. Things have stabilized and Dolor is no longer a mess, so all the easy work is gone.

[] Form a Census of talented individuals DC 60
If you're going to grow this empire and make this mortal realm a paradise, you're going to need more people of skill and potential. Even Dominique can only do so much, being the Goddess of Tragedy is limiting like that.

[] Convince Historiarum to abandon Fabula DC 180
Even with Fabula gone, convincing the entirety of Historiarum to give up on her is a fool's errand. It would be much easier to solidify your influence first, gradually chipping away at supporters like the Blitzblades. Still, your goal of reshaping society as a whole would be much easier if you succeeded somehow...

Stewardship: 1 Action

[] Recruit a competent Steward DC ???

[] Fortify your budding empire DC 20
You will have many enemies, people seeking to bring down your "Dark Kingdom". It is only natural to make your lands safe against invasion, to make it difficult to destroy. You intend to save humanity, you will not let fools prevent salvation for everyone.

[] Set up Enchanted Gardens DC 30
It was already an idea rattling around in your head, but Valerie has truly impressed you with the Historia Roses she made. Little... concerning she knew, but still mass-producing them would see Dolor become the healthiest city on Historiarum.

Intrigue: 1 Action

[] Recruit a loyal Spymaster DC ???

[] Seek beyond Historiarum for allies DC 30
Historiarum may be a big place, but there are travel expeditions all the time across the "Eternal Sea". Sure other people haven't been found yet, but between you & Dominique it would be easy to rig up a "life compass".

[] Trick the Blitzblades into abandoning Fabula DC 180
Honestly, if it wasn't for Dominique's domain, you would consider this absolutely impossible. Even then, it would be a lot of work for even a Goddess, as the Blitzblades would surely notice any obvious tragedy. Still, getting even one Blitzblade to turn or have doubts...

Learning: 1 Action

[] Recruit a royal Scholar DC ???

[] Build up the collective quality of Magic DC 20
This mighty power, to defy reality with one's soul... It allowed you to rampage through Fabula's temple, yet it can also heal people that medicine cannot. Improving access to it, creating facilities for training, being an empire of magic would make things easier.

[] Further refine Dolor's technological ability DC 60
While you do sometimes take the unusual approach of 'bending' reality via your understanding of the world, at your core Magic is what you do. Still, you're smarter than the average person and have resources, so if nothing else you can brute-force this.

Personal: 1 Action

[] The Abyssal King & Princess Divine DC 10
You always have time for Valerie, she is your precious da- apprentice after all. Still, you're already pretty close, so just spending more time with her wouldn't do much. Very least you can work on some experiments together.

[] The Dark Angel and His Demonic Goddess DC 40
Though things haven't really changed between you, Dominique always acts oddly around Valerie. You're sure it is because of Fabula, but what exactly did she do? All you really know is Dominique hates being the Tragedy Goddess...

[] The Black Mage will Be Unstoppable DC 60
You were an Orator, disciple of The Storied Goddess... You turned to Dominique, and became a 'Demon'. Most people think Magic is a divine gift, you realize it is the power all living beings hold. Yet you must push yourself, if you're going to become a God yourself.

Free

While you're separate from Valerie, a rather peculiar Succubus approaches you. Tomboyish enough you almost thought she was a man, she's apparently interested in having her daughter and Valerie meet. Bit strange timing though...

[] You'll see what you can do

[] Politely question her actual motive

[X] Plan: Fairy Tale
-[X] Recruit a Martial adviser DC ???
-[X] Form a Census of talented individuals DC 60
--[X] Attach Dominique's bonus onto this action
-[X] Fortify your budding empire DC 20
-[X] Seek beyond Historiarum for allies DC 30
--[X] Attach Valerie Nexus's bonus onto this action
-[X] Build up the collective quality of Magic DC 20
-[X] The Dark Angel and His Demonic Goddess DC 40
--[X] Attach Cornelius's bonus onto this action

-[X] You'll see what you can do

I'd prefer to skip the vote attaching heroes's bonuses onto projects. I don't know if it is possible to do that.

Back