It's not an automated system; the exact mechanics are obscure, but it uses Rei's mental patterns as part of its decision-making process. We know this in-character - Ritsuko took great delight in saying so. Therefore, attacks that work on Rei's mind will work on the Dummy Plug.
Is is an organic system, with brain matter, brain waves and such? It's possible to implement behavioral patterns in code, and this won't make a robot using it susceptible to mind attacks.

His judgement was incorrect, as I've pointed out.
Nobody is perfect, Misato's was incorrect many times too. What matters is his orders based on that judgement were solid. He probably acted on the assumption that everyone who didn't follow orders was compromised, including Misato and Asuka.

That's why the system is still in development, and why Ritsuko was so shocked that it was used. It wasn't ready for combat deployment, and Gendo doing so has compromised the programme.
If this is true, it shouldn't have been installed in the first place. So it's a question of "who the heck installed it?" and not "why the heck Gendo used it?". If both are his doing and there's no good reason to be in a hurry, then yes, he's guilty.

Gendo, again, failed to predict that Asuka would react in that way;
Didn't we too? We ordered her to throw things at the Angel and failed to predict she'd attack Rei instead.

Is is an organic system, with brain matter, brain waves and such? It's possible to implement behavioral patterns in code, and this won't make a robot using it susceptible to mind attacks.

We don't know, but even so - there is at least one canon Angel which affected technology. There's no guarantee that being robot is a defence against Angel Bullshit.

Nobody is perfect, Misato's was incorrect many times too. What matters is his orders based on that judgement were solid. He probably acted on the assumption that everyone who didn't follow orders was compromised, including Misato and Asuka.

I don't think they were - Gendo loses nothing by waiting to activate the dummy plug, but loses an extra Eva to not waiting. This isn't a case where he's operating on limited information and needs to make a decision right that second - he had a bit of time to wait to make that decision.

If this is true, it shouldn't have been installed in the first place. So it's a question of "who the heck installed it?" and not "why the heck Gendo used it?". If both are his doing and there's no good reason to be in a hurry, then yes, he's guilty.

Gendo ordered it installed, so far as we know. He definitely ordered it used, and as Commander takes responsibility for that use.

Didn't we too? We ordered her to throw things at the Angel and failed to predict she'd attack Rei instead.

Asuka reacted the way she did because the situation changed, not because she was always going to attack Rei.

We don't know, but even so - there is at least one canon Angel which affected technology. There's no guarantee that being robot is a defence against Angel Bullshit.
Well, it's true, but this particular case revealed that we're dealing with a mind-trickster. Angels can be many things, but not all of them at once. They tend to specialize, so chances are it'd take another one to deal with the DP tech.

Gendo ordered it installed, so far as we know. He definitely ordered it used, and as Commander takes responsibility for that use.
Agreed. Unfortunately Misato chewing him out is not what I have in mind. Does he report to anyone at all? He should be properly held accountable.

Asuka reacted the way she did because the situation changed, not because she was always going to attack Rei.
I'm not so sure. Hikari attacked Rei out of the blue, and they didn't have any strain between them.

Well, it's true, but this particular case revealed that we're dealing with a mind-trickster. Angels can be many things, but not all of them at once. They tend to specialize, so chances are it'd take another one to deal with the DP tech.

I'm not convinced it couldn't affect the Dummy Plug - for starters, we don't know if the DP is a robot versus "literally a Rei clone shoved inside a box" (or anything in between), and we don't know if the Angel was working on meat-affecting (i.e. changing people's brains to achieve its result) or soul-affecting (messing with the AT field to do the same) principles. While Gendo would be in a position to know the principles behind the device, he also seemed singularly uninterested in the idea that the Angel could affect people's minds.

Agreed. Unfortunately Misato chewing him out is not what I have in mind. Does he report to anyone at all? He should be properly held accountable.

SEELE, who we officially don't know about, or the UN, who we unofficially know are in on the plot and might not be inclined to listen to us. That said, I did have significant choice paralysis myself for this vote; it is a risk.

I'm not so sure. Hikari attacked Rei out of the blue, and they didn't have any strain between them.

Perhaps, but again Gendo didn't need to make that decision right then and there - making it at that time ensured the loss of two, then three Eva units, whereas waiting only risks the same.

I find the lack of a "beat him within an inch of his life" option, disappointing.
Misato has thought about it. She has probably also thought about Gendo's personal security, which was probably present last week and beefed up after one of the pilots announced her intent to murder him. Verbally beating him within an inch of his hubris is about as close as Misato can get without getting punched by the bodyguards.

Perhaps, but again Gendo didn't need to make that decision right then and there - making it at that time ensured the loss of two, then three Eva units, whereas waiting only risks the same.
I'm quoting this because it's a very important part of VX's argument vis a vis activating the Dummy Plug. If her analysis of the situation is correct—and I think it is—then Gendo ordering the Plug activated when he did added an extra risk without actually mitigating any of the risks involved with waiting a moment.

We the players are limited in when we can give orders—usually only once every minute or few minutes, or however long happens to pass during a given update. Gendo is not limited that way. He's a character in the story; the precision of his orders are limited only by his reaction time and personal flaws.

I'm not convinced it couldn't affect the Dummy Plug - for starters, we don't know if the DP is a robot versus "literally a Rei clone shoved inside a box" (or anything in between),
I assume that the Dummy Plug is an isolated nervous system without any higher functions (I think the scientific name is Autonomic nervous system), or only very basic primitive instincts, either only as a software or as organic pieces.
It corresponds with information from the canon, and what we saw during the simulations.
Depending on how do you want to look at this, you may consider the Dummy Plug more like Galvani frog, than actual Rei.
Angel was messing with minds by "activating" fears, phobias etc, not directly manipulating a subject behavior.
Therefore, even if the Dummy Plugs are mostly wetware, they should be immune to the Angel's powers.
Of course again, we can ask how much Misato knows (i.e. basically nothing), but the point is moot here.

Last edited:
Then again without any higher functions to question what it's being fed, it could be very easily messed with by an angel, especially if a near non-existent sense of self renders it unable to resist compared to someone/something with a more developed AT field.

Angel was messing with minds by "activating" fears, phobias etc, not directly manipulating a subject behavior.

This would be the rub. A version that runs off an extremely simplified version of Rei's brain like you describe would be running off automatic reactions... which is something the Angel can manipulate in the way you describe. E.g. by painting a friendly as an enemy, causing the Dummy Plug to attack it. (This, ofc, assumes the Angel Bullshit has compatibility with the dummy plug's hardware...)

If both are his doing and there's no good reason to be in a hurry, then yes, he's guilty.

We're working through two different unreliable narrators here, but we can be pretty sure that
- Ritsuko knew the dummy plugs weren't reliable
- Gendo ordered Ritsuko to install the dummy plugs

It is strongly implied that
- Gendo was aware that the dummy plugs were unreliable
- Ritsuko would not have installed the dummy plugs (yet) without Gendo pressuring her

I think it's also (less strongly) implied that
- Gendo deliberately timed the dummy plug installation for when Misato would be unable to notice/object

So, personally, I think we can place both installing and activating the plug on Gendo's shoulders.

(I am becoming a little less confident about chewing Gendo out; this is starting to smell like a plot, and it would be useless to try to shame Gendo for something he did on purpose. But I've got nothing solid to back this suspicion up.)

Ritsuko swears. That bastard.

Salva me

What? What's going on? You ask, panic rising in your throat. You barely feel connected to reality right now. This scenario feels like you're watching a movie. Ritsuko informs you that Commander Ikari has activated the Dummy System onboard Unit-00. You grab her by the lapels.

What does she mean, "the Dummy System onboard Unit-00"? You explode. Did anyone think to inform you of this?! It's not safe! When was this approved? Ritsuko calmly explains that Commander Ikari requested its installation shortly before you departed Matsushiro. Unit-03 does not have one yet, nor does Unit-02. She was planning to tell you once all of them were installed.

She tells you, less calmly, that the Dummy System is not recommended to use in combat situations like this one. As you have already seen, it still has some kinks to work out. And she had it installed anyway?! Ritsuko retorts that it's not like she had a choice. Ikari gave her direct orders. She knew you hated the Dummy System and would probably never approve its use, at least in the short-term future, so she didn't anticipate it actually getting activated until well after it was up to Ritsuko's standards, if at all. There's no point in taking out your anger on her. What's done is done.

---

Verbally beating him within an inch of his hubris

This is a beautiful turn of phrase.

While Gendo would be in a position to know the principles behind the device, he also seemed singularly uninterested in the idea that the Angel could affect people's minds.
So Gendo might have had a reason to do it, since he knows more than we do. Also "Dummy System is not recommended to use in combat situations like this one", which is considerably different from the untested prototype unfit for deployment angle.

SEELE, who we officially don't know about, or the UN, who we unofficially know are in on the plot and might not be inclined to listen to us.
Ideally I'd expect them to chew Gendo out without Misato's interference. Unless he was doing exactly what they wanted him to do, in which case Misato's frustration is misplaced.

I've re-read the scene-- Gendo activated DS the moment Unit-03 went berserk. It wasn't about progressive knife and inexperienced pilot anymore, so I'm once again sure he saved Rei's life (and maybe other pilots as well).

So, personally, I think we can place both installing and activating the plug on Gendo's shoulders.
Then it leaves only one thing: why did he do it. The answer is probably beyond Misato's paygrade and clearance, which is normal. Also now that I've re-read the scene, I can't find any fault with him at all.

E.g. by painting a friendly as an enemy, causing the Dummy Plug to attack it.
I think that the Angel works on a higher abstraction level.
It can manipulate you to do something, but it can't force you. I suppose that it may nudge somebody thoughts, but the victims have to reach conclusion by themselves.
Or in other words, it can't force you to do something, but can give you the reasons why do you want to do something.
And I think the Dummy Plugs do not have mind developed enough to have so complex thoughts.

If the Dummy Plug is really so almighty and infallible, then why do we even have pilots? Clearly, the intended reading is that the Dumny Plug is a shoddy piece of work only good for basic aggression, incapable of particularly skillful fighting, responding to a commander's orders or tactical acumen of any kind.

It also canonically sucks, that much is made very clear in the story. Nine fucking Evangelions with Dummy Plugs got slapped around by Asuka and only won because they had infinite energy. They somehow forgot that their swords could transform into AT Field-piercing superweapons until Unit 02 had already run out of power. It was an embarrassing performance.

So Gendo might have had a reason to do it, since he knows more than we do. Also "Dummy System is not recommended to use in combat situations like this one", which is considerably different from the untested prototype unfit for deployment angle.

I doubt he knows more than Ritsuko, who, again, not only designed but built the damn thing. And who objected to its use, in this exact situation, and then made sure it stopped being used. No, it is not different, since she herself said she didn't think it should be used until it was up to her standards.

Also, once more you are ignoring the very notion that Gendo straight up didn't give two shits about the Angel's known mind-altering properties. That's a huge oversight on the part of a field commander, one he was in a position to know more about than us, and failed to act on. If he had, he would have known to take greater care with his orders, which he did not.

I've re-read the scene-- Gendo activated DS the moment Unit-03 went berserk. It wasn't about progressive knife and inexperienced pilot anymore, so I'm once again sure he saved Rei's life (and maybe other pilots as well).

Then he still 1) used an untested piece of equipment in an uncertain situation which 2) resulted in the mission kill of two Evas in that engagement, severe damage to a third, and all the consequences that come with that decision. All without any damage to the actual target of the engagement, i.e. the Angel. In fact, him activating the Dummy Plug in that scenario is a worse decision, since it directly caused Asuka to engage Unit 00 (and thus get damaged) and not Unit 03 (which, again, was at the time distracted with Unit 00). Would Unit 02 have won against berserk Unit 03? Probably not. Would then have been the right time to activate the Dummy Plug? Yes. Was it a good idea when Gendo made that decision? No.

All activating the Dummy Plug did, even in the most ideal scenario, is present Asuka with a confused combat scenario when she was done with the JSSDF. As we saw, that meant Asuka chose to fight Unit 00, with the results we are now dealing with. It was a needless risk that, if we'd taken it, would have led to a lot of justified recrimination in-story. As it stands, not only has it caused significant material damage - damage to two Evas, severe injuries to two pilots, one of whom may never pilot again - but almost certainly destroyed the morale and cohesion of the pilot corps going forwards.

This is the real long-term effect of Gendo's decision, and why we're most justified in chewing him out. Even if we'd taken the same material damage in an alternate scenario, or worse, we'd be in a much better place because we'd have two reliable, unimprisoned pilots instead of zero. I don't think I can over-emphasise how bad it is that NERV has zero pilots for its Evangelion corps at this moment in time, nor how directly responsible Gendo is for this situation. If we had made decisions that directly resulted in the same situation, we would be fired.

Then it leaves only one thing: why did he do it. The answer is probably beyond Misato's paygrade and clearance, which is normal.

Gendo's long-term aims are directly incompatible with NERV's stated aims, and he often acts in accordance with his personal ends and not the organisations'. That is not normal. (Well, it is, but that's a different matter). It is also not healty, or normal, for an organisation to have no accountability from below. This logic is an appeal to authority in the most basic sense; "he is above us so he must have had a good reason".

Also now that I've re-read the scene, I can't find any fault with him at all.

Let me list the faults I see.

First, he took zero measures to deal with the JSSDF artillery, which had already damaged three Evas and was continuing to fire. When we ordered Asuka to handle the matter - a decision which I'm not 100% comfortable with but I think was our only recourse - he then tried to get her to stop. This may have delayed the destruction of those pieces long enough for one to severely harm Unit 00, thus causing the cascade we saw. He also failed to take into account the Angel's mind-altering bullshit, instead continuing to act as though all three Evas were uncompromised despite major evidence to the contrary.

He made zero attempts to talk Hikari down like a person, instead acting like an autocrat, placing greater stress on her psyche at a cruical moment. Hell, he even ordered the LCL overpressure which knocked Hikari out in the first place, driving her berserk*! He then activated an untested piece of technology at exactly the wrong time, leading to Asuka attacking the wrong Unit.

He made no effort to talk to Rei post-Dummy Plug, to explain his perspective, to give any context which may have prevented the following events from happening. Instead, when she asked to kill the Angel, he responded in his normal autocratic manner, an approach which had already failed.

At no point did any of these orders lead to any damage against the actual target. The absolute most you can say is that he helped keep Shinji on task... which is a piss-poor record considering he was in control of three Evangelion units.

*I was under the impression we'd asked for that - I certainly advocated for it - but we didn't. I'm intentionally pointing out that I advocated for that path, though as a final resort after killing the power to her unit, but it doesn't change the fact that Gendo is responsible for the decision.

And I think the Dummy Plugs do not have mind developed enough to have so complex thoughts.

They have to have at least an "is enemy, kill enemy" routine to function. For a being capable of affecting minds subtly, this should (though - obvious caveat, fuck knows how any of this works so this is only conjecture based on my own reasoning) be a relatively easy manipulation. That said - none of us except Sutekh know enough about how the system or the Angel works to make a judgement one way or the other. In my judgement, it's a risk to deploy it against a mind-altering Angel, and one not justifiable at the time it was taken.

If the Dummy Plug is really so almighty and infallible, then why do we even have pilots? Clearly, the intended reading is that the Dumny Plug is a shoddy piece of work only good for basic aggression, incapable of particularly skillful fighting, responding to a commander's orders or tactical acumen of any kind.

We have pilots because the Dummy Plug isn't ready yet. These flaws are a reflection of it not being ready, and the EoE ones act with greater (...relatively) tactical sophistication. Our pilots are likely to be better at killing Angels for the foreseeable future, but the quest record shows that the Dummy Plug is currently better at killing other Evangelion units. This isn't inherent to the system, it's a product of its greater ruthlessness combined with pilot unfamiliarity with the system and how it's loaded right behind their friends. This will change as circumstances change.

...this post is way too long and rambly. Apologies to those that have to experience it...

(EDIT: Also not likely to be able to do detailed responses for a day or so)

Last edited:
Then it leaves only one thing: why did he do it. The answer is probably beyond Misato's paygrade and clearance, which is normal.
VX provided the most succinct rebuttal to this—
VX-145 said:
This logic is an appeal to authority in the most basic sense; "he is above us so he must have had a good reason".
—but I don't really care and will toss my hat into the ring.

This argument is absolute dogshit. It can be used to justify literally anything Gendo does. "Okay, Ikari Gendo was directly responsible for blowing up Misato's apartment, murdering Hikari, and insulting Rei's painting. That only leaves one question: Why did he do it? That answer is above our paygrade, which is normal. Therefore, we shouldn't complain."

There comes a point when any private has the right—even the duty—to question terrible commands from the general. We might disagree about where that point is, but this argument isn't about degrees of sensibility—it's absolute. Gendo has an answer, we aren't allowed to know it, end of post, end of conversation.

Also: Misato is not "any private"; she's a Major, she commands NERV's raison d'etre, she banters with department heads. On paper, Misato is one of the highest-rank members of NERV, reporting directly to Gendo. It is not normal for commanders to have their motives and strategies hidden from their freaking war council.

It also canonically sucks, that much is made very clear in the story. Nine fucking Evangelions with Dummy Plugs got slapped around by Asuka and only won because they had infinite energy. They somehow forgot that their swords could transform into AT Field-piercing superweapons until Unit 02 had already run out of power. It was an embarrassing performance.
Assuming, of course, that the MP EVAs were not simply toying with Asuka and deliberately running down her battery. That's a possibility.

I composed a detailer reply, then accidentally posted it halfway, then instantly deleted and it's gone. Oh well, here's the abbreviated version.

I doubt he knows more than Ritsuko, who, again, not only designed but built the damn thing. And who objected to its use, in this exact situation, and then made sure it stopped being used. No, it is not different, since she herself said she didn't think it should be used until it was up to her standards.
Here's the thing: Ritsuko's standards don't matter. She's an employee who was tasked to develop something according to specs, and she doesn't hold any rights over the fruits of her labor. It's in every standard contract for corporate drones. Developers don't decide when the product is ready to be released, their bosses do. Armies test equipment to see if it satisfies their requirements, they don't ask people who made it.

Also, once more you are ignoring the very notion that Gendo straight up didn't give two shits about the Angel's known mind-altering properties.
What could he have done about it? Hoping his orders would snap the pilots out of it was as good a guess as any other.

First, he took zero measures to deal with the JSSDF artillery, which had already damaged three Evas and was continuing to fire.
This is a good point, I concede. Made me raise an eyebrow too.

He made zero attempts to talk Hikari down like a person, instead acting like an autocrat, placing greater stress on her psyche at a cruical moment.
That's because he's a commander, not a psychiatrist. While there are different flavors to commanding, it's a matter of personal preference. Commanders don't ask, beg or persuade. They order their troops, and expect the orders to be followed.

Gendo's long-term aims are directly incompatible with NERV's stated aims, and he often acts in accordance with his personal ends and not the organisations'. That is not normal. (Well, it is, but that's a different matter). It is also not healty, or normal, for an organisation to have no accountability from below. This logic is an appeal to authority in the most basic sense; "he is above us so he must have had a good reason".
That's not what I meant at all. If Gendo is doing something he shouldn't, proper measures should be taken. Like reporting him, getting him removed etc. On the other hand, he's not obliged, and might be even prohibited, to disclose every bit of information to Misato and explain his every decision. Clearance levels and hierarchy exist for good reasons. As a commander Gendo sees the big picture, while Misato doesn't, so some orders that Misato finds strange might make sense in the grand scheme of things.

This argument is absolute dogshit. It can be used to justify literally anything Gendo does. "Okay, Ikari Gendo was directly responsible for blowing up Misato's apartment, murdering Hikari, and insulting Rei's painting. That only leaves one question: Why did he do it? That answer is above our paygrade, which is normal. Therefore, we shouldn't complain."
It's normal for lower ranks to have access to less information than higher ranks. It's normal for operational command to be informed of only relevant tactical situation in their zone of responsibility and not the whole frontline. It's normal to receive an order without an exhaustive explanation of why it is what it is. Yeah, armies and paramilitaries are like that, they're no democracies.

It is not normal for commanders to have their motives and strategies hidden from their freaking war council.
The problem here is Gendo manages more than just battles: he also manages politics. What if SELEE requested Dummy System test and threatened to disband NERV otherwise? Not to mention Misato was ordered off the mission, so she legally has no business asking questions about it.

I composed a detailer reply, then accidentally posted it halfway, then instantly deleted and it's gone.
I hate when stuff like that happens.

Here's the thing: Ritsuko's standards don't matter. She's an employee who was tasked to develop something according to specs, and she doesn't hold any rights over the fruits of her labor. It's in every standard contract for corporate drones. Developers don't decide when the product is ready to be released, their bosses do. Armies test equipment to see if it satisfies their requirements, they don't ask people who made it.
Um.

First off, yes they do. The army didn't set the timetable for the Manhattan Project, not unilaterally. The Trinity test didn't happen until the scientists had a design they were confident would work and sufficiently certain wouldn't set the atmosphere on fire. And when the generals don't do that, don't listen to advice from the technical advisors they hired, we call them idiots.

Second off, we're back to that literal-appeal-to-authority here. You note that Gendo has ultimate authority to decide when to activate the Dummy Plugs, which he does. But we're not arguing whether Gendo should be court martialed for overstepping his authority, are we? We're arguing about whether Gendo made a mistake. Whether or not he was authorized to make that mistake is completely irrelevant.

What could he have done about it? Hoping his orders would snap the pilots out of it was as good a guess as any other.
Here's a random thought: He could have adapted his orders to the pilots' mental state. You know, the thing Misato did.

That's because he's a commander, not a psychiatrist. While there are different flavors to commanding, it's a matter of personal preference. Commanders don't ask, beg or persuade. They order their troops, and expect the orders to be followed.
Dr. Katsuragi is also a commander. Well, a military officer, and still definitely not a psychiatrist.

Also: This is, at best, an incomplete command philosophy. Every officer, from the highest general to the lowliest NCO, has to worry about morale and cohesion, because soldiers are not fucking robots. You want to have soldiers obey your orders, which partly means conditioning your soldiers to follow orders, but it also means giving orders that your soldiers will be willing to follow. The real world isn't an RTS, your cannon fodder won't stand firm in the face of cannon fire.

That's not what I meant at all. If Gendo is doing something he shouldn't, proper measures should be taken. Like reporting him, getting him removed etc. On the other hand, he's not obliged, and might be even prohibited, to disclose every bit of information to Misato and explain his every decision. Clearance levels and hierarchy exist for good reasons. As a commander Gendo sees the big picture, while Misato doesn't, so some orders that Misato finds strange might make sense in the grand scheme of things.

It's normal for lower ranks to have access to less information than higher ranks. It's normal for operational command to be informed of only relevant tactical situation in their zone of responsibility and not the whole frontline. It's normal to receive an order without an exhaustive explanation of why it is what it is. Yeah, armies and paramilitaries are like that, they're no democracies.
Again: Misato is not a fucking grunt, or even a field officer. She's a Major, and in the absence of any colonels or generals (according to a quick search of EvaWiki), that makes her the highest-ranking military officer in NERV save for Gendo himself. Keeping her in the dark about NERV's strategic objectives is asinine; how is she supposed to accomplish her goals if her superiors won't tell her what those goals are? That's begging Misato to sacrifice one of the hidden objectives to achieve the ones she knows about.

The problem here is Gendo manages more than just battles: he also manages politics. What if SELEE requested Dummy System test and threatened to disband NERV otherwise?
1. Then Gendo should tell Misato that when she demands to know why he "tested" the Dummy System in the middle of battle. Also, um, we may need to review your definition of "test," because those are usually supposed to involve controlled conditions.

2. Misato also gets involved in politics. And I don't just mean war council stuff, I mean she keeps getting consulted for NERV's decisions beyond commanding Evangelion field operations. She manages PR events and attempts diplomacy with the JSSDF, how the hell do you think she's not involved in the political part of NERV?

Not to mention Misato was ordered off the mission, so she legally has no business asking questions about it.
That's not how security clearance works. You are legally allowed to ask about operations you were not supposed to be involved in, especially when those operations affect your ongoing duties.

I just hope that, regardless of which option wins, Misato remembers to point out that she did call the JSSDF and try to get them to GTFO.

Wouldn't want that ass-covering to go to waste, after all.

First off, yes they do. The army didn't set the timetable for the Manhattan Project, not unilaterally.
A matter of scale maybe? Let's not compare an autonomous bot to a nuclear weapon. This is more about a new UAV entering service.

But we're not arguing whether Gendo should be court martialed for overstepping his authority, are we? We're arguing about whether Gendo made a mistake.
Good point.

Here's a random thought: He could have adapted his orders to the pilots' mental state. You know, the thing Misato did.
Misato (we) are good, because we have all the time to come up with our strategies, and have special relationship with the kids. There's always a better solution in hindsight.

Every officer, from the highest general to the lowliest NCO, has to worry about morale and cohesion, because soldiers are not fucking robots.
Those things are not something to take care of in the middle of a battle. And in this situation it's actually Misato's job to make sure Gendo's orders are being followed, since she's the only officer between him and the kids. Shitty orders too.

Again: Misato is not a fucking grunt, or even a field officer. She's a Major, and in the absence of any colonels or generals (according to a quick search of EvaWiki), that makes her the highest-ranking military officer in NERV save for Gendo himself.
Her responsibilities are tactical command in battles with Angels, iirc. The only strategic goal she cares about is killing all of them. Need-to-know basis applies here, and Rei is a good example: Misato doesn't need to know her secrets to give her orders in battles. Same goes for other strategic goals and politics.

1. Then Gendo should tell Misato that when she demands to know why he "tested" the Dummy System in the middle of battle.
Then maybe she should ask before starting to chew him out?

2. Misato also gets involved in politics.
That's more like leftovers Gendo can't be bothered with.

That's not how security clearance works. You are legally allowed to ask about operations you were not supposed to be involved in, especially when those operations affect your ongoing duties.
Allowed to ask - true, being denied the answer based on insufficient clearance - also true.

Dummy Plug downplaying in this thread is crazy. I've even seen someone argue that Dummy Plugs are not stronger than regular Evas. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but piloted Evas did not demonstrate being able to pop other Evangelions heads like balloons with one punch or break bones with overenthusiastic handshakes. Saying that they are weak because they couldn't defeat Asuka is like saying Zeruel is weak because it didn't nodiffed Unit-01.
Although I admit that MP Evas performance was poor. My headcanon is that Ritsuko-made Dummy Plugs are superior to those made by SEELE scientists.

Last edited:
they couldn't defeat Asuka

Granted, people downplay Asuka in this scene. She was perfectly synced with Unit-02, a fully realized Evangelion unit - but even in that deployment, the MPs still won. 'They only won by numbers and power' is irrelevant when they're supposed to be mass-produced and capable of fighting on despite being hamburger.

Back