Created at
Index progress
Complete
Watchers
Recent readers

This short was a challenge issued by my brother that I dreaded to do ever since he told me the truth about Marvel's Cyclops' powers. Then he sat me down and forced me to do it, and we bashed it out in a couple of hours. It was a blast to write this.
PUNCH BEAMS New
Armsmaster pinched the bridge of his nose. "So, you mean to tell me that you can shoot lasers from your eyes?"

The young teenager with red-tinted sunglasses looked up at the tinker, smacked his lips, and nodded. "Yes."

Armsmaster furrowed his brows as if he were in sudden pain. "And you're telling me that there are actually micro-portals in front of your eyes that are the true origin of these lasers?"

The teen smacked his lips and nodded again. "Yes."

Armsmaster tilts his head as if folding under the pressure of the immense pain he's currently experiencing inside his head. "And those portals lead to another dimension of pure kinetic energy?"

Smack, nod. "Yes."

Armsmaster throws out his hand as if trying to grasp some semblance of logic in this conversation. "That's stupid!"

The boy shrugged. "I didn't make the power. I just got traumatised and now I have laser eyes. To be honest, not a bad deal. Besides, why are you complaining, you have a special portion of your brain that allows you to make physics defying technology. And this lady can summon guns from thin air."

Miss Militia sips from a coffee mug. "I mean, there are powers that do worse. You're lucky, kid. Some people get powers that make them into monsters."

Suddenly, a loud alarm blares through the building, "Looks like we got a situation. It's empire Eighty-eigh. Shall we test these laser eyes of yours, kid?" suggests Armsmaster.

The boy claps his hands together, rubs them, and smiles wolfishly. "Let's have some fun," he says.

… Some time later…

Armsmaster rubbed his temples with the points of his fingers. "Let me get this straight. Did your eye beams- of pure kinetic energy! - just bounce off that car window, into that traffic light, split into three more beams, each of those bouncing off of other reflective surfaces before impacting those goons?"

The boy stood proudly, staring at his handiwork for two seconds before responding with a southern drawl, "Eeyup."

Armsmaster held out both hands, desperately grasping for some semblance of logic in this conversation. "How. Does. That. Happen?! It makes no-" a car briefly explodes "-ing sense!"

The boy holds up his hands as if in surrender. "Like I said, I was just traumatised, I didn't choose how this power works."

Miss Militia scans the area, taking in the carnage created, and asks, "And where's Hookwolf now?"

Dragon then chimes in. "By my calculations, he's most likely in low Earth orbit."

Miss Militia clicks her tongue. "Wow." then chuckles, "Boy, you just launched a villain into orbit. That's one way to make a debut."

The boy grins, "Guess I'm getting the hang of this hero thing, huh?"

Armsmaster sighs, "I suppose this isn't the weirdest thing I've seen this week."

Dragon, still calculating, adds, "Actually, according to my estimates, he will re-enter the atmosphere... now." And a distant, fiery streak crosses the sky.

Miss Militia pulled out a canteen of coffee and noted, "This is going to make the next endbringer fight interesting."

Looking at his hands, the boy wonders, "What else can I do with these laser eyes?"

In her robotic voice, Dragon concludes, "This certainly changes the power dynamics in the city."

The boy, looking thoughtful, says, "You think if I look at the moon real hard, I can make a new crater?"

Armsmaster puts his head in his hands and groans loudly. "I hate teenage capes."

This is the stupidest thing I have ever read. Absolutely loved it. I know this is probably a snippet at best, but I'm still going to watch and hope for additional chapters. Keep up the good work

While amusing I still prefer the original vers of Cyclops powers to the new-age vers after the reboot(s?)....

I've only ever known the portal origins for his powers, what are the other ones?

Ah you young'uns.... OK during the 80s/90s both Cyclops and Havok's powers came from an internal store of energy that they charged from absorbing sunlight and cosmic energy respectively. He can't control the beams because when they were young he bashed his head after being tossed out of a plane with his brother and 1 parachute by their father (separate story) and got brain damage. For both of them the energy can run out if cut off from the source of their power for an extended period.

Back