Pedestal's ending was kinda meh, one part of the story dragged on for far too long and I'm still confused as to why guns are considered dangerous in a world with Pokémon (they're not even useful against some real-world animals, other humans are about the only thing in Pokémon they'd be any good against), but overall I remember it being a pretty good story.

I don't have any definite inclinations to do one at the moment, but I am thinking about doing a PMD fanfic. But I'm not sure which approach to take for it. I have thought about doing a 'PMD 5' so to speak, following up after Super, but have also considered doing a darker retelling of the original games.

Alternatively, I could create a different PMD world altogether AKA alternate setting.

I've got a poll here, I'm curious to hear your thoughts:

strawpoll.com

What seems like the better or more interesting PMD idea? - Online Poll - StrawPoll

What's your opinion? Vote now: A dark retelling of the games?, A PMD '5', An alternate setting, Neither, just do a Halo Reach sequel...

If each main game protagonists could come back as an optional boss like Red what do you think their teams would look like?

For Gen 2/Gold I think it would look like this:
1. Typhlosion (Seems to be the starter hes always given in Manga and anime)
2. Togekiss (The Egg he was entrusted with)
3. Sudowoodo (Captured after it blocked his path)
4. Hitmontop (received as a Tyrouge after proving himself against a former Gym Leader, Top Evolution chosen because of the gen it was introduced)
5. A Red Gyarados that isn't quite a shiny. It has yellow whiskers and spines instead of red and yellow, like a Magikarp. (Captured at Lake Rage, self explanatory)
6. Dragonite (Gifted as a Dratini by the Master of the Dragon Den after passing a test)

I think Gen 3 would atleast have a Blaziken and a Mulotic but I'm not sure what else

On the topic of unique trainer stories:

forums.sufficientvelocity.com

The Friendly Necromancer

Summary Banette is a pokemon that exists to give meaning to abandoned and discarded things. Typically these are dolls, but when an ill-treated boy dies alone a friendly Shuppet he named Diya takes it upon itself to give his life meaning. Diya possesses and revives his body, becoming a Banette...

Alternatively, I could create a different PMD world altogether AKA alternate setting.
I think any story set in the PMD verse has best odds of succeeding as an alternate setting. The setting as is is pretty well optimized for the medium it is in, and while a good enough writer can make anything work, restructuring things should make writing the story much easier.

6. Dragonite (Gifted as a Dratini by the Master of the Dragon Den after passing a test)

This only happens in Crystal, but still a good choice.

The Typhlosion needs the elemental punches because they are so iconic on it.

Togekiss was not achievable in gen 2. I think a Togetic fits better as a result.

But that is a good list, even if it is a bit underwhelming team comp wise.

Maybe add Relaxo? Dropping Tyrouge I´d think.

I think Gen 3 would atleast have a Blaziken and a Mulotic but I'm not sure what else

I´m at a loss here too. Unless you wanna go maximum cruelty and go full on Legendary team.

Emerald has a quite a lot of them. :p

Just imagine the terror of facing against a Rayquaza, Kyogre, Groudon, and the Regices. Maybe throw in Latios/Latias for spice.

A Hitmontop? Really? I´m rather used to treat them as jokes due to Bruno. Then again, they may simply be built wrong.
The set up i have for it is:
Item- Assault Vest, to boost def
Ability- Technician, to boost low powered attacks
Moves - Rapid Spin - Bullet Punch - Low Kick - Triple Axel

Its been working well

Also:
3rd gen team would likely have Castform and Kleceon on it since one was a gift and the other was basically a 'catch me event. Other options for the team include Flygon for being iconic, one of the fossils pokemon likely Cradily for type coverage because it brought back the mechanic, one or both of the Psuedo legendary introduced this gen (Metagross or Salamence).
So, likely like up:
Blaziken... or Stampert
Milotic (kinda represents Contesrs and second Champ Walace)
Flygon or Salamence
Metagross ( reps Steven)
Castform
Klecleon

Could probably swap out one if the later two but what do you guys think?

3rd gen team would likely have Castform and Kleceon on it since one was a gift and the other was basically a 'catch me event. Other options for the team include Flygon for being iconic, one of the fossils pokemon likely Cradily for type coverage because it brought back the mechanic, one or both of the Psuedo legendary introduced this gen (Metagross or Salamence).
So, likely like up:
Blaziken... or Stampert
Milotic (kinda represents Contesrs and second Champ Walace)
Flygon or Salamence
Metagross ( reps Steven)
Castform
Klecleon
Another possibility could be one of the fossils you can get from Mirage Tower - Cradily or Armaldo.

OC Trainer snip

Title: From Kanto to Sinnoh: A second chance
Prologue

Jacob's steps had an echo to them, bouncing off the long shelves of the aisles he walked down. The fluorescent lights above him were dimming, prepping for the early morning sun to take over the duty of lighting the warehouse. So he kept his flashlight out and on, sweeping it across every few steps to keep up the appearance of diligence even if he was yawning.

This night shift crap was starting to get to him but the overtime was nice. Not much to do but, hey, that's what you want with security work. A nice boring shift. Even higher level jobs were like this in his city and he thanked the local Gym Leader for that. Most people were terrified of the Lieutenant as he tended to take most things in Vermillion personally.

Once he was at the end of the aisle he gave a quick glance towards the ends, making sure no Rattata or Zubat got in again, before picking up his radio. "Altan here, quarter three is clear."

"Rodger." the machine squeaked, "C'mon in kid. Your shift's basically up and your relief is waiting by the door. Might as well make the change."

"Copy that," Jacob said, for once happy with some of the brown-nosing ways of his coworker. A few minutes wasn't going to hurt his paycheck and he'd love the headstart home.

But as he made his way to the building doors he heard a sound, a skitter that made him groan. While he could ignore it, or even just inform his shift lead on his way out, he couldn't just leave. Dragging his light over to the source of the sound he saw a small cluster of Rattata hiding under one of the shelves. They glared and chittered at him.

All Jacob did was sigh and grasped one of his pokeballs, the third one in from the left. With a pop and a flash of red a familiar tangle of blue vines formed into existence. With a shake and a yawn she looked up at him with a questioning "Tang?".

"Hey girl, got another batch to round up. Mind dragging them out?" He asked, pulling out a net capsule. His pokemon seemed to sigh as he let the net expand in his hand and she reached out with several blue vines.

The Rattata tried to run away but they were no match for his Tangela. Trained as she was grasping the Wild Pokemon out of the air was near literal child's play. Looping the net into a bag Jacob held it out for Tangela to pour the struggling Rattata in.

"Thanks girl, we'll be good to go home and sleep soon." He gave her a smile and she made a pleased little wrabble as she pressed the button to her own Pokeball and returned. He wished he could do the same.

Nightshifts sucked.

Returning to the main building he held up the netbag of struggling Pokemon up for his Supervisor to see. "Spotted these guys on my way out."

His Supervisor glared at the sack, a sigh rattling out as they made a note in their log. "I guess that means there's a hold somewhere in Quarter 3. Perfect. Alright kid, drop them there and get out of here."

Jacob didn't need to be told twice. A powerwalk to his walk later he was on his way out the door in fresh clothes and an unfortunately dead phone. He kept it out in his hand as he made his way out of the site's gates, waving to a coworker as he passed. The solar panel in his screen should get him a bit of a charge before he got home.

The salty air of the Vermillion Docks filled his nose, washing out the stagnant warehouse air from his lungs. He could say a lot of things about his home city but he would never deny that the ocean view was always amazing, it made the walk home all the more pleasant. Especially since it was starting to get to mid morning, which meant that kids were in school or sleeping in, which meant he could avoid -

"Hey! Mister!"

Jacob pretended he didn't hear and kept walking, he even picked up his pace but the sound of little feet stomped after him. "Hey! Hey! Wait up!"

The problem with living in a city with a Pokemon Gym? There were plenty of kids out there who thought they were pretty hot stuff after getting whatever number badge they were at. They were a nuisance upon societies at large.

Eventually, the kid managed to get in front of him, a frustrated pout on his face. Jacob tried to take a step around the kid but he was having none of it, planting himself in his way again and again. Letting out a long breath Jacob tuned the kid out as he bit back his temper and held up a hand to stall whatever it was he was saying. "Before we go any further how many badges do you have?"

The kid puffed himself out, and solidified himself in Jacob's mind as a recent Badge winner, "4! I just got my Thunder Badge the other day. Pretty great, right?"

It was. Most people usually top out at 2 badges so the kid was likely going places. All the same, "Not good enough dude, come back to me when you have 6 or so Badges. Then we'll talk." Which would hopefully be never, Jacob had a date with his bed and he's been delaying it all too much dealing with this.

"Wha-" The kid started before stomping after Jacob. "Oh yeah, and what makes you so great."

Jacob held up 3 fingers and started to count them down for every reason. "I'm tired, I don't have time for this, and-" He paused on the last finger, unsure on the bragging now that his conscious caught up with the rest of him. But he already had the finger up so he powered through. "I've been in the Top 64. It wouldn't be a fun Battle, for either of us."

"Wait, you've been in the 64?"

Multiple times but no further. Whoever said, "third times the charm" was a damn liar.

With an answering grunt, he disengaged from the now stupored kid, who thankfully didn't' follow, and finally made it the last few blocks home. It was a modest affair, a two bedroom apartment with a fairly decent sized living room. Perfect for him and his team just to hang out in when nothing was going on.

Speaking of, he swiped his hand along his belt and let his Team out. They deserved a nice long rest after such a long day. The room heated and the air filled with static as they all appeared.

Magneton, Magmar, Electabuzz, Porygon 2, Rhydon, and Tangela.

They were the best Team a guy could ask for. Too bad he couldn't bring them further.

"What do you guys think? A snack and then bed?" There was a general cheer to that and Jacob got to work fetching each of them one of their favorite treats. While he did that his phone buzzed as it booted itself to life on the windowsill, then it started to blare as notification after notification caught up to the poor thing. 14 missed calls, 9 voice messages that filled up the inbox, and 20+ new texts went a long way in explaining why his phone died.

They were all from the same person, his old rival from when he was actually competitive. Unlike him, Neela actually breached the top 32 and even made it all the way to the Indigo Plateau's semifinals. They still kept in contact, not as much as before but they still reached out to each other. More her than him but still.

Last he heard she was studying up to join the International Police, what could she have been doing to call him so late? He sent her a quick text asking what was going on because he definitely not going to go through all of those. Besides, her last text was sent right before dawn. She was probably asleep already.

And as if to prove him wrong, as she usually does, his phone went off again. "Hello?"

"Where were you?" She asked a bit too loud, sounding jittery and tired.

"Getting OT… Have you been drinking energy drinks again?"

"Only a few." She admitted, "But I'm studying for the exams."

"They're months away Nel, you don't need to cram so far out." He said, taking a seat on his couch and was near instantly mobbed by his pokemon as they tried to find a space near him. His Starter, Magneton, made a warble of disappointment as he had to keep his distance until the call was over. Most modern phones didn't have the issues with magnets like the old ones did but habits were hard things to fix.

"Better to do it now and relax closer to the exams than the opposite." She countered before taking an exaggerated gulp of something. "Anyway, I found out something awesome when I was studying the Pokedex of other Regions!"

"Important enough to kill my phone with messages?"

"Yep!" She admitted without shame. "Look, I sent the info in the e-mails you've obviously didn't read but telling you is so much better. This one Region, Sinnoh, has been experimenting with Evolution and they've found new ways to Evolve a bunch of Pokemon. And like all of them are on your Team!"

There was a jolt at his spine, traveling up from his gut to his heart. It was familiar, it was electric, it was… unsure. "What?"

"Everyone on your Team can Evolve again, every last one." She said, "They're new, like really new in some cases, but each has been verified."

Each of his Pokemon looked at him, they couldn't hear the conversation but they recognized something familiar in their Trainer waking up. He was tense, his heart was racing as he stood and scrambled to find his tablet. His phone trapped between his shoulder and ear as he listened to his friend prattle on.

He opened her email and the file she sent him, eyes gazing over each bulky form revealed to him. Well, Porygon's new form wasn't so much bulky as crazed looking but from what he was reading that wasn't going to be a problem.

He gulped as he looked at the studies, at the stats and results. One of the things that held him back in the Plateau, according to various commentators, was a lack of raw power other Pro-Trainers could bring to bear. Which was a bit fair when near everyone else was bringing out Gyrados and Dragonites, or shelling out for a Lab Pokemon.

But if they could Evolve… How much further could they go?

His Pokemon were looking over his shoulder, yellow hands snagging the tablet away from him as his gaze went towards his little display cabinet. A set of 8 Kanto Badges, a handful of Johto Badges, and 3 certificates. Proof of scraping the top but never reaching it.

Of dreams not quite obtained.

If they could Evolve… Could they do it? He was kind of old now to be going on a Journey but it should be okay. Right?

Over the phone Neela was still going on in her caffeine fueled chatter. "Dude, you have to go! You could even take on the League over there! Then, when we get back we can have a rematch! It would be so awesome!"

Would it?

He looked over at his Pokemon and saw his Eletibuzz having a flexing contest with Rhydon. They certainly seemed excited about the idea, so maybe they could. He did have a good chunk of money saved on the side and a ticket shouldn't cost him too much.

Maybe it could be different this time.

Maybe Sinnoh could be his... their second chance.

AN:
And done, more of a pain than I thought to get the snip itself to stop at 1996 words.

Anyway, old idea for a Pokemon Team with more of a direction plot wise. There is likely to be an underlying theme of perception of reality to tie in with the Galactic/Galactic remnant in Sinnoh. Probably have hints of self care/help and rediscovering passion.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed!

Anyone know of any long form (200k+) fics for Pokemon? Preferably game focused, since that's what I'm familiar with.

And piles for the games. If anyone sees good manga fics please tell me.

(As for the original question, I'll plug Hyphen again, the only good one that long I can think of at the top of my head.)

Link seems broken for me.
same here. copy link just gets me "http://Pokemon: The Origin of Species".
Apologies. I did the first link on my phone. I must have messed up or something. I have fixed it now.
The only one that is game focused that immediately comes to my mind would be Pokémon: The Origin of Species If I remember anymore, I'll make another post.

Just as a heads up, I've bit the bullet and started writing a PMD Fic. It's called Guardians of Balance if anyone fancies a look at it.

forums.sufficientvelocity.com

Guardians of Balance [Pokemon Mystery Dungeon]

In an increasingly dark Pokemon World, a human wakes up to find himself transformed into a Scorbunny, and is thrust into an adventure far beyond he would ever expect. An adventure where there is far more than meets the eye.

I'm trying to find fanfics with the broad concept of "a Pokemon impersonates a human, usually to become a Pokemon Master".

A Rattata-touille, if you will.

The only ones I know of are No Antidote and SF's own Hyphen.

I'm trying to find fanfics with the broad concept of "a Pokemon impersonates a human, usually to become a Pokemon Master".

Human Heartstone.

Toma is a normal ten-year-old girl who's very, very excited for her Pokemon Journey.

...Normal besides her snow white skin, red eyes, and psychic powers. Well, who cares about that stuff anyway?

After the Ashes: Ailette's Story involves a Zorua going on a Pokemon journey while disguised as Ash.

There's also Frostbite, which sort of fits with that theme. It's a spin-off of Pokemon Typechange, which centers around a research experiment testing how some various rare items can let Pokemon change forms. In Frostbite, she accidentally exposed herself to one of the more intense items, transforming her into a Dragon-type. Even though she was still able to turn back, she remained part-Pokemon even in human form.

The really interesting thing in that story is that Pokemon are actually, legally allowed to be trainers themselves. For instance, her starter Pokemon Charizard acts as her "trainer" while simultaneously being on her team, and he mentions how as a kid, his family had been pushing for him to make them proud by becoming a trainer Pokemon rather than a starter.

Last edited:
Back