Ordeal By Fire: An Avatar the Last Airbender GSRP

Lady Dowager Ursa,

I hope that this letter reaches you quickly.

During the capture of Kaya, four young women acting in your daughter's place were captured by your son's forces. Their names are Eisuki, Na Lei, and Oyune and Yana Chen. They are my students. Please send word of my requests to whoever's custody they have been placed under. The words I write in this letter are fervent requests, but I ask you not to see them as demands. I understand that I am in no position to make demands here. If my pleas offend you, I ask that you not let your anger at any perceived impropriety on my part influence the treatment of my students.

I would first ask that you not separate them. They are quite close to one another. I would especially ask that Oyune and Yana not be separated. They are sisters, and lost they lost their parents several years ago. Between then and the time that they came under my tutelage, they only had each other for support. It would be cruel to them both to keep them apart.

Eisuki likes poetry, so if there is any way to provide her with poetry to read and paper and brush to write her own, please do so. She is blunt, loud, and confrontational, and at times can be rather abrasive, but she truly means no offence. She is fond of ginger tea, if it is available.

Na is usually cheerful but quiet. However, she will not tell anyone if she is upset until she blows up at them. She likes to exercise and train, so I ask that she be allowed to do so. She has trouble falling asleep in the dark, so I ask that she be given candles at night. She also does not eat meat. She likes black tea.

Oyune also enjoys poetry, as well as calligraphy. She is also a very good painter. She will probably insult you, especially if she feels that she and her sister are being held captive. Please treat her well despite this. She does not like loud or busy places. She is very protective of her sister and does not trust easily. She does not like tea but does like sweet foods.

Yana is a young woman, and finds it very distressing if anyone says otherwise, though she will not correct people on this point herself. She does not like being touched. I will again ask that she and her sister not be separated. She likes to dance and learn new things. She does not talk much usually but will ask a lot of questions if she starts to warm up to someone. She likes to learn. She also likes green tea, but I understand that it has recently been harder to acquire this kind, as it is typically grown in the Colonies.

Once again. These are only requests, and not demands. I would ask more generally that they not be treated as imprisoned soldiers, because they are not soldiers. They're children. They're my students. Their only actions in this war were acting in your daughter's place off of the battlefield. I'm writing to you about this because you have the influence to keep them safe when I cannot. You are also a mother, so I hope that you can understand that I want children placed under my tutelage to be safe. Please ensure that they are treated well and kept safe.

Ikanu Sho

The handwriting in the letter is scratched and messy with blotches of spilled ink, as if the letter was written hurriedly by a frantic author, which it was. The letter was delivered to the Royal Palace by a very well-paid fisherman from Kuza, who was happy to take the coin to resettle his family in a less war-torn area of the Nation.

Lady Dowager Ursa,

I hope that this letter reaches you quickly.

During the capture of Kaya, four young women acting in your daughter's place were captured by your son's forces. Their names are Eisuki, Na Lei, and Oyune and Yana Chen. They are my students. Please send word of my requests to whoever's custody they have been placed under. The words I write in this letter are fervent requests, but I ask you not to see them as demands. I understand that I am in no position to make demands here. If my pleas offend you, I ask that you not let your anger at any perceived impropriety on my part influence the treatment of my students to live as they should - as children.

I would first ask that you not separate them. They are quite close to one another. I would especially ask that Oyune and Yana not be separated. They are sisters, and lost they lost their parents several years ago. Between then and the time that they came under my tutelage, they only had each other for support. It would be cruel to them both to keep them apart.

Eisuki likes poetry, so if there is any way to provide her with poetry to read and paper and brush to write her own, please do so. She is blunt, loud, and confrontational, and at times can be rather abrasive, but she truly means no offence. She is fond of ginger tea, if it is available.

Na is usually cheerful but quiet. However, she will not tell anyone if she is upset until she blows up at them. She likes to exercise and train, so I ask that she be allowed to do so. She has trouble falling asleep in the dark, so I ask that she be given candles at night. She also does not eat meat. She likes black tea.

Oyune also enjoys poetry, as well as calligraphy. She is also a very good painter. She will probably insult you, especially if she feels that she and her sister are being held captive. Please treat her well despite this. She does not like loud or busy places. She is very protective of her sister and does not trust easily. She does not like tea but does like sweet foods.

Yana is a young woman, and finds it very distressing if anyone says otherwise, though she will not correct people on this point herself. She does not like being touched. I will again ask that she and her sister not be separated. She likes to dance and learn new things. She does not talk much usually but will ask a lot of questions if she starts to warm up to someone. She likes to learn. She also likes green tea, but I understand that it has recently been harder to acquire this kind, as it is typically grown in the Colonies.

Once again. These are only requests, and not demands. I would ask more generally that they not be treated as imprisoned soldiers, because they are not soldiers. They're children. They're my students. Their only actions in this war were acting in your daughter's place off of the battlefield. I'm writing to you about this because you have the influence to keep them safe when I cannot. You are also a mother, so I hope that you can understand that I want children placed under my tutelage to be safe. Please ensure that they are treated well and kept safe.

Ikanu Sho

The handwriting in the letter is scratched and messy with blotches of spilled ink, as if the letter was written hurriedly by a frantic author, which it was. The letter was delivered to the Royal Palace by a very well-paid fisherman from Kuza, who was happy to take the coin to resettle his family in a less war-torn area of the Nation.

Ikanu Sho,

You may rest assured that Eisuki, Na Lei, Oyune, and Yana Chen will be kept safe and not treated as enemy soldiers, despite your best efforts. I have learned much talking to them, and made my own itineraries on their needs for them as I shepherd them to safety. They are each and every one of them distinct, sweet, and intelligent young girls. It is a shame that their purpose was to exist as a false front for my daughter. Their initial fear at their capture has mellowed to the giggling nervousness of girls their age. They speak highly of her, at least, as one might expect of their years and bearing. After some time to recuperate, I will attempt to connect them to parents and family, and where none exist, provide the support they need.

They were given a serious, honorable duty, and they carried it out. They do not seem to understand that had I and Ty Lee had not been there, they may have ended like the unfortunate Sayuri - dead on the street in a random barrage, abandoned by their country. This is the fate of children and civilians exposed to a war they are not prepared for. My son and daughter are, I'm sure, familiar with the feeling.

In taking on the face of my daughter, an extraordinarily skilled and lethal combatant who has made orphans of many soldiers, you are opening them up to disproportionate force from assassins and commanders terrified of her or simply seeking revenge. Many will not clarify their identity before they strike. You must understand this. I believe it was not your order to begin this program, but my daughter's - she has always been cavalier with the lives of children, most of all her own. You should be more responsible, and instill some of that responsibility into her. It hurts me to know that she has been wounded now, several times, and hurts as much to know what wounds she has inflicted.

You write to me as if you expect me to punish them and beg my munificence. I understand this is common conduct and behavior now. I am told a fourteen year old would-be assassin was burned down to red flesh by your martial colleague, General Bujing, before he brayed, laughing, at his fate. There would have been a few more children roasting in Fire Fountain City, when he razed it to the ground. I would keep your sweet 'students' well away from him, and try your best to do the same with my daughter, if you are concerned for her own wellbeing.

I do not believe you would have sent this letter if you did not care for them. The four I have in my care ask constantly about their friends in the Fire Warriors, Azula, and you. It is the nature of children to be so innocent as to believe that such messages can be passed back and forth in a brutal civil war. I should prefer we preserve some of that innocence, as much as possible.

I have issued direct orders to the members of the Firelord's court and military command to under no circumstances harm so-called 'False Azulas'. A member of my entourage, in a misplaced fit of vengeance, sought to disobey my order. She learned then that mercy is a sign of strength, not weakness.

You have made your requests, and I accept them. I will make mine, now. Keep my daughter safe, and keep your fire warriors safe, and keep the civilians so endangered by this war safe, not just relatively but in truth. Prove your worth as a protector, hiding not behind defenses and excuses of fear and loyalty. Act, as I have done, to do what is right.

In dreams of red I am a deadly wind that cuts down the tall trees that endanger my family - wherever, whenever, they are. When I wake the dream comes true. What do you dream of, Ikanu?

Make it real, and you will deserve the title of teacher.

Ursa

A letter makes its way back to the Ikanu Sho, through surreptitious and suspicious means. The pathway taken is as circuitous and enigmatic as its source, until the outer wrapping is undone and the true text inside is unveiled.

Last edited:
This was a motley gathering of every kind of sailor it was possible to find in the Fire Nation.

There were stern Zukoite officers in their uniforms and mantles, scowling at one another in corners and huddling to grumble at the rabble.

There were the rabble themselves - Okono's people - a mishmash of Fire Navy uniforms with ensigns years out of date and plain old sailor's scruffs. They drank and laughed the loudest.

Aroye's people - engineers and scientists, theoreticians and physicists - hugging the far edges of the room, fathoms out of their depth but immersed in the heady mixture of bravado and hubris.

And there were the Kuzans themselves: a happy medium, many with a gleam in their eyes that had been lit since the fateful duel in the mountain.

They had gathered, all, here, aboard Okono Nori's ship, in this secluded cove.

When Okono clambered up onto the Azulite supply crate they'd appropriated for a stand, there were cheers, jeers, and, finally, silence.

Okono Nori had always been a showman.

He relished an audience for his nonsense.

"Had any of you asked me what would have brought us all together a handful of weeks ago," he began, flashing a grin: "I'd have said it was you arresting me for piracy."

There were a few snorts. A laugh.

"But we're at war. Yes, I think even I'm at war. The whole Nation is a mess of violence, so even a well-meaning pirate finds himself picking sides."

Grumbling acknowledgements.

"We're all sailors. The grand record of this war is going to say we did nothing: that it was the great heroes in Tottori, or Susong, or some other battle and city who decided the course of this mess."

Snorting. A chuckle.

"Maybe they're right. We are a sorry bunch. Azulon's Gate is closed, and everyone seems happy enough with it staying that way. Azula rules these seas. Azula takes what she wants. Azula came for Kuza, and, like every good spoiled brat, she's going to get Kuza."

Shouted denials. Cheers for the denials.

"Or maybe - just maybe - she's about to learn not everything is so easily forced. That people - you, me - are liable to be the meanest damned headache you'll ever have."

He paused, glancing out over his audience. They'd mostly fallen silent, again, looking across at him from the deck.

"The way I see it, we can part ways after this good time tonight - even lovely Hanako will probably understand. We're a contentious bunch. There's very little that unites us."

He rose a fist.

"Except our determined urge to bloody the nose of Zai and Cho's murderer."

A loud cheer rung out.

"Sail with me! Sail with me, now, and we'll ring out a chorus of hope over these waves that even old Cai Cuifeng can't drown in a river of blood!"

FIRE ON THE WATER

Cai Cuifeng is not abed because he dares not dream. To dream is to die.
Some nights he returns to the frigid waters. But there are omissions. No ships, no ice. He is a speck in the endless blue of above and below. He treads for hours, days, centuries. These are his preferred dreams.

Cai Cuifeng is at table with his failure, the charts of Da Zhen before him. Approaches, harbor, inlet. His fingers trace the marks left by past selves and feel what should have been. The harbor defenses smashed, the ships sunk at anchor. The fire in the north and the fire in the south, like long apart lovers, rushing to embrace each other and sweeping away-

Another time he swims Da Zhen harbor, the city burning behind him. Swimming towards something - a ship. He is among those mad fools who drowned. He descends with them, sinking deeper than the depth marked on the charts, deeper than the light dares touch, past whale and turtle to a place of eternal dark and still.

Cai Cuifeng does not blame others. Plans must bend to reality. "Perhaps if the sailors were stronger or braver" - no. The thoughts of a fool. His duty was to know that they would not be stronger or braver. He failed. He must know why. Pouring over the charts, the lamplight shaken by the waves, he looks for his moment of treachery. Where, when, did he grant failure permission to enter? Was it sloth? Sentiment?

Once, after midnight, a tormented scream shakes the ship. The man rushes from his cabin, eyes wild, sparks clinging to his fingertips. In sleep, the steel chains of his will have loosened. Now he is between worlds, no longer asleep but not yet conscious. Blazing eyes look out over the water and hope absurdly to see the house on the cliff, the little salt village.

Cai Cuifeng smells something. He moves to his porthole with new vitality and sniffs. Land.

This man and his living heart could never understand why they are here. It is all madness to him. Does he have some reason to harm these people? To seek his own death? What does he care for the whims of Fire Lords?

Cai Cuifeng is organizing the lowering of the boats. He tells the officer of the watch to keep the ship. They will return shortly.

Why this unbearable blueness? Why not home? Why not now?

The oars are in perfect harmony. The oarsmen are more than kin, they are his limbs and organs and lifeblood. He feels the pull through their arms, sees the dark land looming through their eyes. Lights, moving lights, map the outline of the village. They have been spotted. Foam falls from his lips, boilers burn in his eyes as he screams the boat forward.

But he is already nothing, even before the words leave his lips.

A crew leaps ahead of the rest in the race for the shore, shuddering and shaking and cackling as water crashes over the gunwales. They grind their teeth, snap their spines, singe their souls pulling for their headman and it is not enough to please him. His inner fire burns too hot, his hate unbearable. He must be free of this churning water bowl, he must feel earth under his feet, it must come more quickly. Howling in the bows, dancing whips of fire appear in his hands and lash the surface as if to drive the herd of droplets before him.

The mad Cai Cuifeng wakes.

Last edited:
Letters From Rangshao
As Written by Iwa Kuro
and read by Iwa Aka
"…despite the intensifying tenor of Azulite operations in Rangshao, Kuro made a point of staying attached to Yosor's administration. Though circumstances occasionally interrupted the governor's communications, scarcely would time pass without Amagi receiving some outside direction. As Aka was considered Kuro's adjudicator-in-absentia, he would direct the implementation of these mandates, tempering or harshening as need be. Kuro did not assign this duty lightly, regardless of marital connections. He trusted Aki and thus divulged his views in a manner few knew of. Kuro's letters, studiously sealed, thus formed a basic formula for governance..."
- Excerpt from Dawn of Smog: Yosor At War

Kuro on the abduction of Aroye and subsequent sabotage:
…Azula is misguided. I stay my tongue lest it be cut, but your eyes will never betray my words.

With that written:

• Our Fire Lord, despite her intelligence, has dismissed the possibility that moltenblooded or steamveined individuals pose a threat beyond physical dimensions. To her, mixed populations should be assessed on the basis of their capability to harm Azula: therefore, in the Fire Lord's eyes, they are equal to most in passivity.

Recent events have proven such analysis foolish.
  • This is not the first time mixed populations have shown their duplicitous nature. We currently fight untold numbers of imports in Rangshao, but at the same time "we must stay our hand for the alloys". Perhaps this calculus works in Kuza, but where else?
Given these facts, consult lists of foreign workers to identify suspected saboteurs. Limit the investigation's totality, but proceed unrestrained with ongoing punishments. Waterbenders in our custody are of particular interest…

Kuro on the Department of Spiritual Affairs:
…When I cited Zuko's entanglements in exotification, Peng Liu never escaped my notice. The state of Caldera's now ignominious bureaucracy is his fault by blood, for Liu cannot escape a birthright of inefficiency. Take the Department of Spiritual Affairs: how many charlatans have been hired based on mudblood sensibilities?

Loathable as the sageists can be, at least they know how to contact the beyond.

Meanwhile, the Department's sole accomplishments have been lists. What worth are those? Any competent subject of Agni could tell what spirits to avoid, but you know who can't? Foreigners.

We cannot make the same corrupted mistakes. To bend the spirits to Agni's will, send for experienced sages without plucking fools from the streets…

Kuro on the attempt against Azula's life:

…There are no coincidences.

In the midst of political opposition to Amagi, as Kaga receives the Fire Lord, a cadre of supposed purists strike against Azula? The scheme is so transparent as to be laughable. As they did in the times of Azulon, wreckers are pinning their bloody work on patriots. Already, a key governor is being set up to take the fall, and we can only hope he stands proud.

Alas, none will hear this right now. Send for the Reddogado captains, and draw up lists of liabilities. May those above be satisfied by this cleansing...

Last edited:
Turn 3 Update Part 9- Silence

Silence

Min wasn't a bad woman, really. She'd worked in the factories for years, dreaming of something more, using her earthbending to remove impurities from coal before it went into the furnaces. Then the war had ended, and Zuko had been made Firelord, and Zan had talked to them all.

What heady days, those. Free to live, free to eat and hope. Her back was still gnarled from knots of the lash, so that she could never escape her past. But even then she had not expected it to become worse. What madness Zan had had, to defy Bujing and the Fire Nation.

So she wasn't a bad woman. She hadn't squealed her comrades out, she had just fled the city when it had fallen, when the citizens had cheered on the pyres of those who had earth in their bones. It was all too unfortunate that her family had fled with her, father and mother and little brother, though at the time it had seemed the only reason to live.

Then came Kaga's squadrons. All earthbenders were to join the army, to serve Firelord Azula and the nation that had brought them civilization. They pored over the island, tearing down every hideaway they could find, sending hundreds fleeing to the Ashen Scarves before that other bit of news came.

It hadn't been a question. She had been conscripted. Money had exchanged hands, and she had seen her family taken into protective custody, as befit the family of a veteran. They sent her letters, which Guo was kind enough to read to her, and seemed honest in both their worry and their promises of being alright.

So she wasn't a bad woman, really. She was serving Bujing, and Azula, and the navy of Ozai, but she wasn't a bad woman. She had been forced into it, and so had Guo and Wei and Wen and Feng. They all had families under threat to keep them loyal, and it wasn't like they were enjoying their work.

Oh, they certainly weren't enjoying it. At first, Min had hoped it would be more factory work, or perhaps building walls or spearheads. Something easy, and dull, and possible to sabotage. Then she had met the water-witch, and other words that end in itch. Niho was more ruthless than the worst foreman she had ever met, more exacting, more cruel.

And yet despite the hatred, she respected her more than any boss she'd previously had. Niho was fearless. She only demanded things she could do herself, only set standards that were not beneath her. And she stopped anyone else from mistreating them, if only because she wanted them fit for the missions.

The damned missions. She was a factory worker, not a spy, and certainly not a special agent! And yet Niho ordered them into Burning Point time and time again, slipping into locked houses for information, burning grain stores, causing landslides that crushed catapults, stealing away in the dead of night.

They had been ten at the start, and now they were just five. But Zuko's soldiers hadn't killed a single one of them, though they'd come close at times. No, it was all the witch. Whenever one of them went lame, or straggled behind, or disobeyed, her water whip cut through the air and through the skin and flesh and bones. And then she ordered them to bend the earth around the body, so that it wouldn't be noticed by their pursuers.

So she respected Niho, but she hated her more than she had ever hated anyone before. And she wasn't a bad person for following orders to bury little Huang or Lee or Fan, who had looked so surprised even with the ice spike in her throat. She had to take care of her family, and if she failed, if she died, they'd be lost.

They were on their way back from a mission now. A successful one, they'd cut several trebuchets' chains so that they wouldn't be able to fire away in time. The fleet would be able to slip in as if the cliff was undefended, and rain fire on the defenders. Maybe she ought to be happy, or feel success, but she was too focused on slipping quietly through the valley, down to the tugboats that were safety-

She heard a breath, and whirled, and met a single bolt of purest energy, purest explosive power, purest death sent from the forehead of a man eight feet tall and all muscle and steel. And so Min and Guo and Wei and Wen and Feng- slaves, revolutionaries, refugees, combatants, earthbenders, but above all humans- died.

A conversation of life and leaf

Outside, La's call was calm. Her breeze, pleasant. Even the seabirds seemed overtaken by the noon heat and gave themselves to lethargy. But inside the metal walls of the Commander's office, where their sound was ever more distant and the sea breeze but a distant, longing touch, inside the office, the Tiger Shark has been roused.

He paces, circling the desk like his namesake. Where two half eaten plates sit abandoned amidst stacks of papers and scrolls. Captain Yanjin is there too. Respectfully keeping the amusement off his face and regarding his -eccentric- commander with the required respect the rank demands,

"-And as we have established, Captain." The Tiger Shark plowed on, gesturing widely and wildly. "If all life is sacred. As the Air Nomads believe, if the highest goal one can attain is to live your life in full balance with the material and Spirit worlds, ensuring harmony and peace are maintained between everyone and everything. Then we can very easily argue that vegetarianism, or even veganism are practices that should be encouraged for a healthy spiritual life on the road to fulfilling enlightenment." He finished with a sagely nod towards the younger officer.

"If that's the case." Yanjin replied, humoring his commander but also feeling himself slightly drawn into the lecture. "Then why do wild animals eat each other all the time? If that happens in nature. Then isn't the consumption of meat as natural as breathing, at least to some species?"

The Tiger Shark considered the words for a moment before giving his reply: "Yes, wild animals can't help but hunt and prey. Both because they lack the true sapience to escape their baser instincts and because its an inherent need of theirs." He paused for effect, smashing his fist into an open palm for emphasis. "But we are men! And we stand above beasts in capacity to reason. And it is that very same capacity to reason that gives us the chance to escape our limitations. To surpass base desires and in doing so put ourselves in a position where we can act as better stewards of life and land." He was on a roll now. "Death is as natural as life. Yes, but we need not bring it upon the world ourselves. In choosing to abstain from violence and causing harm, we are putting in the effort to overcome our limitations. And in overcoming these base instincts we bring ourselves closer to harmony and enlightenment."

The silence lingered for a beat. Finally broken by a question:

"So can I take your Komodo Chicken dumplings…sir?"

"No." The Tiger Shark replied firmly. "These are my favorites. I always save them for last."

"You're not vegan, then?"

"Whatever gave you that impression, Captain?" The Tiger Shark asked, the question confusing him enough to stop his pacing on its tracks.

"The last ten minutes or so, sir." Yanjin replied evenly-with some effort-.

"I'm not an Air Nomad, Captain." The Tiger Shark replied, as if talking to a particularly dim witted child. "But that doesn't mean I will tolerate any kind of offensive talk regarding their customs on this squadron!"

Training pushed him to reply as an officer should when reprimanded by a superior officer. But personality was torn between defending himself for a careless comment made during breakfast or rolling his eyes and laughing.

In the end, Captain Yanjin settled for swallowing his smile, closing his eyes tight and giving his commander a somewhat passable solemn nod.

"And since you're here." The Tiger Shark continued, having just recalled something. "I have the execution orders signed and stamped. I reviewed your lists and added a few more names I judged necessary. I want the executions arranged as soon as possible"

Dear Ty Lee @Lazer Raptor

Thank you for your concern for my welfare now that I am no longer imprisoned. I understand you have had issues with subordinates who in your own words are overzealous. I understand the idea of unflinching loyalty must be very concerning for you. It was very reassuring to learn that you didn't even need to hate me to stab me in the back.

How surprising it is that you are talking about me with my mother. I'm sure you have much to talk about. After all, I've provided such a disappointment as a friend and daughter. Perhaps together you might discuss what is wrong with me to provide a coherent justification on why I should be locked away for my own good. I'm sure your Fire Lord would appreciate more reasons to call his contender a monster. Be sure not to provide your skills cheaply. Zuko is fortunate to have you on his side.

Speaking of cheap, how is our dear friend Mai? Her family must be rejoicing from the leap of losing control of the 2nd most powerful city in the Earth Kingdom within a year to having their daughter at the side of the Fire Lord. She must be so very happy to be making her father proud of her.

And yourself? If I am such a bad friend to fail to take your feelings into account, I should clearly learn from your example. How bad should I feel for you? It must be a change of pace, to have gone from feeling lost and unable to be yourself when surrounded by so many who looked like you to joining an entire new sisterhood of identically painted warriors? Perhaps I am wrong on your motivations. You have the opportunity to work closely alongside Zuko's high command after all and were always at home in the Circus.

Take care of Zuzu for me while I'm gone. He tends to get fixated on the silliest of things and has a habit of trusting the good nature of the entirely worst members of our family.

Regards

Fire Lord Azula

Last edited:
Turn 3 Update Part 10- Burning Point

Burning Point

The boar's fall had allowed others to rise, though in ways only hypothesized. First of all, Juzo Ze returned to the capital to take up a central position, leaving command in the hands of the navy, both at sea and on land. Commander 'Tiger Shark' Asaruh was to take the forces left behind by Juzo and Kaizawa and make the most with them. He had a bevy of army officers in his staff to help him plan, all of them smarting at losing the opportunity to a madman. These put his ideas to paper, planning out a grand act.

Tiger Shark's offensive seemed to take General Zakura by surprise, even if his expected numerical largesse did not exist. Her forces were split up, much of them at Laotie awaiting reinforcements, the rest divided in an attempt to secure her occupation. Against these, the 'Shark Attack' of siege regiments to destroy stubborn initial knots of resistance while armor and cavalry cut into the rest of the front proved effective, helped out by Combustion Man's penetrative abilities.

The push forwards was only slowed by stiff resistance around the flanks and quicklime deployed by Kuro, which Tiger Shark's advisors cautioned him against permitting. Particularly worrying to them was the movement of several divisions to cut off their landward connection to Caldera, something that proved impossible to stop due to the size of the force (being taken from the reserve). As an attempt to cut their supply lines it proved ineffective given the naval supremacy in the inner sea, but it made the commanders cautious.

Rightfully cautious, as it turned out. General Zakura was known for her ruthlessness, and this extended even to the soldiers under her command. She had chosen to spend conscripts and land hand over fist while building up a strike force near Laotie. With the arrival of airships, balloons, and cavalry from other fronts added to her own mobile forces and armor, these proved complete. Striking from left and right, she personally attempted a double envelopment of the enemy's broad mass, putting Colonel Sei Guo in command of the infantry counterattack to ensure aggressive tactics.

In the meantime, a great amount of other movements and preparations had been carried out by all three sides involved.

The double siege of the Gates of Azulon was the most critical of these. While Yosor's soldiers menaced the northern fortress, Zuko's navy was massing behind them. Perilous and exhausting efforts were made by garrison forces at Burning Point to clear away the chain, attempts that were stopped short some miles away from the coast by the Blue Center Fleet, that attacked any vessels who dared to strike outside of the covering range of landward artillery. Though an easy and swift task in itself compared to what might have been if more time and technology had allowed the chain to become something greater, to do so under enemy fire was another matter.

Indeed, the Center Fleet had been ordered to hold or die, and further been granted use of the mercurial Niho, personal agent of the Firelord, to aid them. She had collected a handful of earthbender collaborators sent by General Bujing, whom she led in raids against Zuko's forces, correctly anticipating that they would never anticipate such a thing. These proved successful for both information gathering and sabotage, delaying the full assault over the gates for days.

In these raids they took great risks, and it was these such that took them down. While attempting a night attack on a catapult camp that threatened their fleet, death in its manly form found them. Combustion Man, an agent himself, was well suited to chasing away such threats and had been deputied for this affair.

The fight was like most those involving the silent assassin went: a matter of surprise, over in moments. The earthbenders died immediately, those who had managed to erect earth shields only achieving death by shrapnel rather than explosion. Only Niho survived, her watery defense turning to steam and scalding her deeply. As Combustion Man breathed in again, reading his kill, Niho unleashed her signature move: she bent water up his mouth nostrils, choking him suddenly, cutting him inside, and interrupting his bending. As he coughed up blood, she ran, jumping into the sea and swimming away, propelled by her powers.

The presence of Azula's fleet, even if a good third of it left to raid Sandu, made Juzo Ze's cunning plan to move reinforcements from Rouruo to break the siege of the northern fortress through the eastern unviable until at least the chain was broken, soon after made fully so by the mass reinforcement of the siege by forces from Hida Springs, who moved as soon as Bujing's army from Shuhon arrived.

These reinforcements therefore regrouped in Burning Point together with the large force rerouted from Dragon Island, intended for other purposes.

By this point, Zuko's high commands' attempts to tear down the chain without lowering the gates had proven outright impossible so long as there was a powerful fleet on the other side. A modification of the explosive original plan would have to be carried out. Most unfortunately, the time taken in preparation and misled attempts had resulted in the northern gate finally falling, their walls breaking under Bujing's climbing tanks.

Developments in the air were changed by new uniforms, stations, weather analysis projections, and a more far-seeing model for their work. The young Sky Marshal Majeek carried these out by continuing upon Shinu's work, as well as regularising adaptations to teething issues that had bedevilled the service since their beginning.

First among these was the test of mine removal by hot air balloons. They proved, as it turned out, very efficient against the firemines in current use. To simply get close and throw a fire blast at them, or stick a fuse, was enough. Time was the primary enemy of this, that and the airships that lurked around Hida Springs, and forced the balloons back.

At the same time, on both sides of the gates, stocks of blasting jelly were built up. The back and forth siege was apparently to come to an end soon, as Niho and Tiger Shark both took much for their own. With all future work planned, and all other routes exhausted, the true offensive by sea came. The main battlefleet of Zuko was led by Meng Taori in full assault against the chain and its defenders. Some forty escorts accompanied the five battleships that intended to shatter the last barrier holding Zuko's fleet from escaping their confinement to the inner sea.

The defenders had had little time to prepare, but they had acted decisively. With the northern portion of the Gates taken, they had halved the area that Taori could attack through, giving their fleet a fighting chance even though it was half the size.

The area available was even smaller if one took the chain under consideration. Only a thin strip had been cleared fully, that Taori had used to have patrol boats carry out reconnaissance, being too low to have a fleet pass without grave risk. Thus, the fleet went for a broad front, aiming to utilise their size as much as they could, and damn the chain.

Although panicked, Azula's commanders were relieved by the news that the enemy was simply assaulting the chain. This lasted until the first blow was launched, combining air and sea to simply blow up large sections of the barrier, particularly those with blasting jelly, then deploying tugboats under the protective aegis of their trebuchets to clear out what was left. Bereft of almost any airpower, the defenders were unable to make much use of this, though they made sure to attack exposed positions knowing that their enemy could not retreat.

Within days, the fleet's captains reported to Taori that the chain was now passable, and he gave the order to set out. Now the real risk began. Hold fast or die, those were the orders that had been given to the center fleet, while Meng Taori was aware that the war hinged on his success or defeat in this Operation Sea Breeze. Neither would quit battle save for truly terrible casualties, signified by Commodore Meng giving the order to reraise the gates behind him.

This, together with the weakness of their offensive power as compared to their armor, left the battle to last a full week. Meng Taori worked with extensive reports from Majeek's balloon squadrons, which risked life and limb to carry out reconnaissance of enemy positions. Attempts by these balloons to harry the fleet proved mostly ineffective due to the ships' agility and the difficulty of accuracy, while the scant airships apportioned to the other (lesser) Golden Dragon were more effective but also larger targets.

Thus the outcome hinged on a formal frontal assault. The only way out was through, and though he would have preferred another place for the critical battle, this one's advantage was in permitting Taori to smash his force straight into the enemy's.

First came cruiser raids, the commodore's crews throwing trebuchet fire at the enemy, and suffering for coming into battleship range. Then they came again, and again, rushed damage control being done in the rear. All the while, a line of balloons floated above, moving and passing messages back and forth.

After three such raids, the day passed. Taori judged the winds and tides not in his favour, and waited the moon out. A bold sweep northwards by frigates in the dead of night, their path outlined by Majeek's reconnaissance in the air, was foiled by Niho and permitted but one to escape the crescent of steel.

The second day proved more glorious. Protected by cruisers and frigates, three battleships pushed forward. They sought to flank with support from a northerly wind, and this time the balloons moved closer. Less agile in such waters, they proved easier prey for explosive packages, though they inflicted their own damage on the flying menaces. Punctured balloons exploded into flame, falling into the waters with screaming pilots.

Even such combined assault was taking more casualties than it was causing, however. The attackers could not bring to bear their full size against Azula's fleet, which was wearing them down and surviving their assaults. It was time to test innovation against tradition. Two days and nights of desultory, constant, frigate and cruiser raids were carried out to exhaust the enemy. In the meantime the balloons stayed up top, planning, preparing, writing out maps and messages
The fifth day decisively changed the direction of battle. When the attack came, it came with nothing held back. All five battleships and the best cruisers steamed forward, while from the air Majeek's Raven Hawks came. Similar to the Skull-Takers in their training, they had a new and improved technology at their hand: zip-lines.

When the battle-lines clashed, the airships descended, dropping long cables down which thousands of soldiers in black armor slid. Hundreds of them lost their grip, were shorn away by the wind, or simply fell into the water. More, however, successfully jumped or glided into a cruiser or frigate, signalling the first air-to-sea manoeuvre in a century; and the first not carried out by use of air bison.

Though casualties immediately proved ruinous, this mattered little. The shock, distraction, and chaos the Raven Hawks caused to the ships so weakened their fighting abilities that Meng Taori could bring his firepower to bear. The battleships blasted their way forward, all aggression and spite, extending the size of the front so more ships could join the battle.

By this point, it was clear it was all over. The defense had lost, all they could do was salvage it. But the fleet was better trained than to give up and die, and its leader was no stubborn earthbender. The rear focused their fire on the airships and on prize targets, while both flanks retreated as well they could while continuing attack. As the day wore on, casualties increased, and the Raven Hawks were rendered inoperational. Majeek himself had descended with the second round, and survived glorious with only minor scars.

This permitted more evasive maneuvers and better coordination, until night finally came. With visibility so lowered, Azula's fleet fled east, east, east. The day after the following they were caught upon by a vanguard of frigates and patrol boats, following up on balloon recon. The second battleship was sunk at a pretty price, but with the slowest ship lost the fleet could escape fully.

In the end, the battle had been a costly victory. Zuko's imperial fleet had won thanks to their supremacy in the air, as otherwise the small front would have minimised their advantage in size. The battle of the Gates was another example of the growing utility of airpower, which in the defenders' case had been fully diverted to a more southerly front.

Afterwards, the fleet split between licking its wounds and moving south to blockade Rangshao and Laotie, with ships moving towards the second as they were repaired and crewed. The blockade was too late for the primary objective of blocking troop movements from the east, but did impose a hefty toll on further supplies, messages, and other critical aspects of warfare.

Many of these movements had not been to Laotie or Rangshao themselves, rather to Hida Springs instead. There both Bujing and Sikai had amassed one of the largest concentrations of force, which they used but sparingly. A notable portion had seized and sieged the northern fort, while Sikai led raids in every direction that killed and burnt but did not fight much.

Bujing, aside from ordering extensive and cruel fortification, also had a long term view of things. Small forces were ordered west, seeking to connect with Kaya before it fell. Ouji Shinwoo was watching carefully under Kimi's command, and readied to provide a blow. At the last moment, Bujing's forces returned. Then more were sent out, providing mere patrols, connecting forces, and conscription officers. Though taking a risk in allowing a supply line, Ouji could not send out a solid force without anticipating the possible fall of Tottori, and had his hands tied responding to raids.

Then the signal came- a larger force, airships on the move, a siege park moving close. Battle was returning, as was Sikai. All evidence suggested another siege of Tottori. Despite the defenders' morale, Shinwoo prevailed over Kimi and Naoki to hold the line in the city itself. Forces were combed back for defensive planning, rationing increased, paranoia grew. No attack came.

Back south, Rangshao's claims of anarchism were collapsing by the day, but they were nonetheless a liberatory movement dedicated to fighting oppression. A secret deal with Bujing and Iwa Kuro soon became public, horrifying many (especially earthbenders and those descended from them) within their coalition, but the terms were mild enough to be accepted. In exchange for a truce, Shangba and her partisans would leave Shuhon for Rangshao's hills, and be permitted to do so without harassment. This treaty broke down almost immediately, as soon as news of Okono Nori striking He Ye spread, and then of him arriving at Shuhon to pick up Ashen Scarves.

The island being denuded of available naval defense was the only reason he was not immediately arrested, and Ketaaq's waterbending saved the ship from being attacked by jet skis, but it resulted in a demand for explanations from the Yeshe Tome. These promptly denounced and censored the so-called pirate-anarchist, managing to maintain the truce.

For Shangba this made transport more difficult, necessitating the need to pay for private shipping and count on sympathetic fishermen or Zuko loyalists to escape Shuhon island, delaying the full flood of the refugees.

While she ran to them, Tohmino was raising armies. Claiming anarchists to be the aristocracy of the mind, and promising them that they would naturally rise in any case, he was able to collect his friends and sympathisers among the nobility. A more appealing program that abandoned the raising of taxes gained them supporters as well, so that the area north of Rangshao all declared for the revolution, and soon after turned to barter.

The large number of steeds available to the nobility were, however, either volunteered or seized, making use of noble feuds to establish a larger cavalry force that could be most useful for the cause of anarchy. This territory was still flush with manpower, nearly untouched as a source.

The best and finest of the new model companies Lai Lee had been instituting, meanwhile, were picked out (so long as they were benders) into a new special operations force. Raku and Corpse both spent many hours training them in fire and earthbending, seeking the creation of an integrated style in which both learned from the other. To a certain degree, they found this unnecessary, specialization at times being better, but the utility of 'Sharu style' was more than the sum of its parts.

As the anarchist military grew in size and in quality, it found itself with growing problems. Previously, they had survived off the ample benefits of trade between Rangshao and its exteriors, as well as the city council's coffers. Now, they were to maintain a growing army while subsisting off of a population that, while sympathetic, was mainly sympathetic because of the very fact that they demanded no exactions. Food, at least, proved no major issue. But clothing- especially shoes- and armor, dedicated weapons, were a good deal more difficult; to say nothing of pay. Still, it had peace to itself to rest and recuperate, which was more than the rest of the region could say.

Zakura's counterattack proved devastating, the use of much superior firepower applied to weak spots in a most effective manner. After weeks of defeat, the Fire Nation soldiers were eager to take the fight and feed on victory. Tiger Shark's losses more than equaled those he had previously inflicted, and he risked his whole army being destroyed. He himself held on grimly, generally leading from the back (with some flashy exceptions) and thus inured to the collapse of the front.

His own siege, armor, and air units were vastly outnumbered, but he had more cards to play. Luckily for him, there was an army larger than his own ready for battle nearby- in Burning Point itself, in fact. The reinforcements from Rouruo and Dragon Island were rushed into battle, in particular their armor, providing enough flame and steel that stemmed the unequal loss of territory and manpower and stopped the attack before it reached the city.

Over in the western portion of the territory that Zakura had claimed for Azula, odder events were happening. War had not much touched it, but Zakura could spare but a handful of men to guard the area, and knew it was vulnerable. Moreover, she was very worried of the degree to which it was vulnerable to Zukoite infiltration, and that sympathisers had not been fully rooted out.

All these issues were solved by a line of ink. Loyal followers of Her Lordship were called to join the "Burning Banners", a new brand of formation of fanatical stormtroopers. More effort went into figuring out banners and mottoes that would bring forth recruits than actual training, but it did find many willing to join. Key among these were veterans and the old demobilised, who swelled the ranks and provided its actual spine.

But more publicly terrifying were the youths and the olds, the ones full of vim and energy, the ones who brutalised under orders. Thanks to the Burning Banners and their siege equipment, the land was cleansed of disloyalty, and Zakura had another army to command, if one that required quite a bit of testing before it was worth much.

On the date of the second full moon of the season, the first army at her hand suffered an unexpected assault. The hands of nature struck them, a flood of water and mud bursting into army camps outside the city. But this flood was not natural. The Yeshe Tome, their promises ignored, had betrayed Bujing and Kuro and Zakura to ally with Zuko and Juzo Ze. A joint effort of subtle earthbending and waterbending at the height of their powers allowed for shock and devastation.

Losses were minor initially, but the regiments were ripe for attack, at tremendous risk. Yet, for some reason, neither Raku nor Lai led their soldiers against them, but instead took the opportunity among the chaos to infiltrate Rangshao. There in the city they and Shangba struck command posts, killed officers, and wrought havoc before retreating through tunnels when attention grew. Their highest goal- the capture and assassination of Iwa Kuro- proved fruitless, however, when faced with two Fire Sages who pushed Corpse away in time. Tohmino's cavalry raided the territory that connected blue and red, tearing into Zakura's backline to provide aid to "the House of Ze" before retreating.

Despite these casualties, the army in Rangshao was still entirely capable of defending itself against anarchist incursions, and so the situation was complex. By this time, a blockade had already been instituted over the region from Rangshao to lower Laotie, cutting it off from enemy support. The blue fleet had to traverse longer distances and move southwards to reach their territory, and accept threats to their continuity.

Zakura's counterattack was winding down when it occurred, and this blow ended it, as she redirected her armies towards defense. Lucky that, as Meng Taori landed forces west and east of Rangshao that put more pressure on the city. With that, however, came the end of separate cooperation between Zuko and the anarchists.

Now their armies shared the same territory, fraternised despite official prohibitions, and authority was uncertain. Unwilling to enforce their rule, many in the Yeshe Tome proved loyal to the Firelord, so that a double administration emerged. Both were fairly distrustful of the other, but willing to work together. The result of this was Shangba's speedy growth in prominence, especially as the main element considered worthy of trust by both sides, and the one with enough connections in both camps to push for continued peace.

Shangba and the Ashen Scarves themselves, though they had had more haughty plans, were forced to simply accept safety. They took up positions around Rangshao, often ones dividing the anarchist and Zukoist camps, and rested after grueling months of guerrilla warfare.

At home, the news was worse. With the betrayal had come another crackdown, this one final. Kaga commanded the garrison to suppress what Scarves remained, and they obeyed. With much information gained during the period of truce, it proved much easier than expected. Suicidal do and die orders to stay behind units caused losses to RG forces, but crumbled away at their numbers.

Pico Toloph himself had chosen not to evacuate with Shangba but to be the last to leave, and paid the price. Helping a last boat of refugees to leave, he was found by a patrol of soldiers, and attacked them to provide a distraction. In this, he was successful, ten families saved from Shuhon's regime at the cost of his person. Pico Toloph was captured, another earthbender taken under Kaga's and Bujing's command. Behind him fell the Poison Scarves, Shuhon falling under absolute control of Kaga (or not, given political games ongoing there).

What was, then, the result of Burning Point? Whether to call it a victory or not was an unfruitful question. Better to say that Zuko's position at sea had been improved notably while Azula's on land had done so too, and that the anarchists had seemingly finally picked a side.

[Spoilers=Result]
Combustion Man temporarily wounded.
Pico Toloph captured.
[/Spoilers]

A Notice From The Yeshe Tome On The Subject Of Monarchism

To settle any lingering questions on the sincerity of the Yeshe Tome's revolution, read the following words well:

Aligning ourselves with the forces of the Azulites, meekly accepting their so-called truce, was always a ruse. At no point have the forces of the 'Dragon of the South' proven themselves even remotely honest to their word, as evidenced by their seizure of Rangshao at the immediate onsent of the war. The safe evacuation of refugees into the wider Rangshao Free Territory is owed entirely to the Yeshe Tome's careful negotiation, scaling back what was intended to be mass purges and executions into simple expulsion.

The Yeshe Tome's primary ideological underpinning is the dissolution of the office of Fire Lord and the wider aristocracy, in order to introduce a system of democratic governance and wide reforms that will see the Fire Nation ruled by it's own people. At every step, the Yeshe Tome seeks to protect and uplift everyone within the Fire Nation, so that the truth of equality is revaled and the falsehood of worth by birth is undone.

This applies as much to the 'Dragon Lord' Zuko as it does to the 'Phoenix Queen' Azula. The forces of the Zukoites remain guilty of many crimes. Take for instance their latest blunder. At best, they have failed to protect a prisoner of war from self-harm, at worst they have deliberately staged the 'self-immolation' of a political opponent.

But equivocate the crimes of the Zukoite and the Azulite to the bones strewn across the Gates of Azulon.

Tell the tortured remains of the inhabitants of Fire Fountain City that the insanity of Bujing is comparable to the most diseased of Zuko's court.

By all means, loudly proclaim to the spirits that the girl who burnt the hopes of Kuza to ash, and butchered the newly reborn Grand Protector Zai and Golden Dragon Akemi, that her slights are as grevious as her brothers.

The Azulites have forsaken life, and chosen death. That is all they known and all they care to repeat.

The Zukoites are by no means cleared of their own incrimination. It is not just in the opposition of evil one finds good. Good comes from the choice to be better than their opponent. It comes from the decision to not immediately succumb to slaughter and hatred of the other. It comes from not almost suffering a coup because one of your internal factions wanted to commit a different type of genocide than the one you had planned this season.

As we negotiate a ceasefire with the Zukoite forces moving forward, the Yeshe Tome's primary goals will remain the same. The time to buy clemency from our oppressors with necessary dishonesty is over. The time to strike boldly and true is now. We, as always, will choose life.

Turn 3 Update Part 11- Spit

Spit

Old monks talk to spirits on Kuza island. They get little but tiredness. Is it exhaustion of the body or of the soul? Do spirits even have the first? It may be, they hypothesize, that the spirits used up much power on Zai and Akemi and do not have any to spare now. It may also be that they are disgusted with humanity, to kill their messenger so swiftly and callously. Perhaps the local spirits of Kuza island have abandoned it to its fate.

Perhaps they simply need a new messenger. One of war, of danger, living and killing. Hanako is betting on that. She is reaching out to the monk-veterans, the old hands who might have been discouraged by Akemi's stunning fall. She is seeking out spirits who will fight with and for her.

In this she is mistaken, acting too selfishly, risking being like Zai but without an Akemi of her own. Nonetheless, she is finding lore and better. She is painting her face and body with arcane marks, inviting spirits to come to her, invoking new and old pacts.

She is traipsing through the woods, searching for Our Quiet Friend, when she comes across a group of fire flies in the distance. She thinks they must be special, spirit-touched, for their glow is blue. She finds Firelord Azula, doing much the same, and stares at her. But she goes unrecognised, just an old woman going wandering, and is spared.

Another who is meeting spirits is a dead woman. A corpse walking. Captain Lai Lee strolls through the line dividing spirit and man in search of allies. She finds enemies first, the spirits of her past come to haunt her. No matter how much she may pledge to vengeance, no matter how much of herself she may sacrifice, she will always be the demon in red to the families of the Earth Kingdom.

But she does find allies. The Kemikurage bless her heart but warn her away from war. They point her up, up, up. To the very top of Caldera she may find them, allies in the cause.

In the woods, gnawing on a limb, she sees the wolf spirit, in the white and blue of ice and day, faces imprinted upon their fur. They glow in the dark and growl at her, but she was not a gardener for nothing. She knows suddenly that she can tame it. The fire whip and a carefully controlled diet of meat and cruelty, discipline and punishment.

Does she? Does she continue to be the ancient gardener of her line, cutting down plants and animals and humans alike as her employers demand? She extends a hand in kindness, and the wolf leans forth.

Turn 3 Update Part 12- Left of Boom
LEFT OF BOOM- Thanks to @Potato Anarchy

Niho believed she had failed Azula by failing to heal her, and this demanded penance, and penance demanded improvement. Whatever her failings, she was still afforded great status among the blues, and dozens were sent scurrying and searching by her brooding commands. I must know all that we know of water-bending. I must make progress. I must succeed.

Without access to Caldera, the textual support for her quest is limited and fragmentary. What returns to Niho instead are her countrymen; prison guards and old soldiers, and especially veterans of the Southern Raiders. Anyone the blues can find and spare who have fought waterbenders and know something of their ways are directed to Niho's service. There is no one like her to be a teacher, but she can learn from people who hate her mother's kind almost as much as she does.

The critical might say that the curriculum Niho devises and devours over the months before her confrontation with Combustion Man is just decades of bigotry and xenophobia mixed together and rationalized, but that wouldn't explain what she learns from it. There is little talk here of positive and negative jing, less of the moon or spiritual philosophy. They talk of fear. Fear of the way water flows suddenly and unpredictably from attack to defense and back. Fear of the control water can assert over the battlefield or a firebender's root and movement. Niho isn't learning to be the kind of waterbender her ancestors were: she is learning to be a monster. Shaped by the nightmares of raiders and wardens, taking everything they hate in their foes and sharpening it into techniques that are an unholy alchemy of what used to be and what her teachers imagined it to be, Niho finds her path to progress.

It doesn't need to be historically accurate to be deadly. In their nightmarish fantasia she finds a rich well of inspiration, and stories that hint at darker or stranger techniques; she mostly neglects armless bending and watery tentacles to pursue her fascination with manipulating fluids into, around, and even within the body, in the hopes it will lead her to the secrets behind the blood-bending whose rumors she hunts fervently.

Shocking reversals, relentless force, even cinematic flair in a cold and brutal way; Niho's bending matches the unending aggression of fire with the flowing, rapidly shifting forms of water. Partly by personality and partly by the format of her training sessions, Niho is a duelist, tearing her opponents apart one at a time with terror and efficiency. Evasion strains her patience compared to a smooth reflecting defense that flows right back into the assault.

Combustion Man, her eventual foe, has even less talent for subtle sidestepping in combat. For all his criminal past and operative present, he is not a subtle dancer on the battlefield. He is a quiet hunter, and then he is an artillery piece. Once his first strike hits, he stands and delivers, matching a prodigious endurance and indomitable metal prosthetics with a lifetime's experience managing lines of fire and deterring strikes to keep his enemies from closing with him effectively. The sheer area of his effect makes massed companies and fortifications easier prey for him than lone foes; what he lacks in Niho's singular focus on winning the duel he more than makes up for with a fiercely defended root that only the Avatar's forces have ever made waver.

This all proves somewhat of a challenge when it comes time for him to take an apprentice, because the starving ex-convict who seized his own combustion-bending looks little like his hulking master - something he often laments in melodramatic terms, including one rantthat fatefully coined a lasting nickname.

"Like no offense dude but sometimes I wish I was figuring this out all on my own! Everybody's always comparing me to you! Big, strong silent type. Never says anything stupid he has to take back. Never has to catch his breath after morning training. I can't live up to this in a couple weeks! They see you and see Combustion Man. They see me and just see Combustion Boy. I'm sick of it! Sick!"

Combustion Boy nevertheless makes serious progress under his mentor's guidance, developing a more mobile and creative style that incorporates much more normal firebending into his movements and defense - a capability the previously non-bending man cherishes and is fascinated by. For all that morning meditation is key to his fundamentals, his real schooling takes place outside the gates of Caldera, where what was intended to be a few experimental excursions into the field turns into a sustained campaign to suppress banditry, aid the passage of refugees, and otherwise support the operations of a strained garrison. He takes easily to the lessons in stealth and tracking, tapping into his own criminal past, and proves as calm and discerning in the heat of combat as he is floppy and florid outside of it. His technique is still much rawer and more easily disrupted than his master's, but he is a promising student.

Their adventures around the capital prove a boon to the continued growth of the Dragon Cults, who remain rowdy and unorthodox but are becoming an increasingly legitimate and open part of the political landscape. Their art and rhetoric claim the "Dragon-Martyr" Akemi for their cause with confident speed, and they speak often of the spirits. Combustion Boy enjoys appearing at their rallies and creating dramatic bending fireworks.

After this sharpening of his apprentice, Combustion Man decides he has advanced far enough to come along on a mission - not to the front, but to Sandu, along with cadres he has gathered (leaning heavily on the Dragon Cults) of highly skilled firebenders and spiritual experts. Arriving in the doomed city, they find that the prophecies they chase are surrounded by fear as well as truth, and chase rumors and spiritual insight down twisting paths into the woods outside town.

There, with the help of an unassuming monk tending to an isolated temple, they hunt something insectoid through the trees that haunts their dreams, and draws their nightmares into the waking world, illusions so real that they can cut you until you bleed out - as several monks do. It takes a week of mounting dread for them to finally cut through the mystery's knot, when Combustion Boy experiences a breakthrough in his own self-doubt and self-loathing. He realizes, mid exhilarated monologue, that their temple-host is the spirit they hunt, and the battle of combustion and killing illusion that follows is fast, fierce, and final. The temple beneath the illusions is already ruined, and the cadres speculate this corrupted the spirit's .

But what of the truth beyond the fear? Combustion Man spots a skeletal whale-koi from where he is brooding along the forested coast, and follows it silently until they reach the long cove, where he is able to commune with the spouses of the girl who lives there. There he finds the true secret of the Doom of Sandu, and of the trials ahead - but they do not think to warn him about a blue-eyed girl and her nightmares that cut.

Turn 3 Update Part 13- Dragon Island

Dragon Island

- Thanks to @toxinvictory
"I have struck depths that your little mind can't picture! I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down monsters from the stars. . . . I have harnessed the shadows that stride forth to sow death and madness. . . . This Nation of Flame, it belongs to me, do you hear?!"
The Ghost of Sun Hei

Dragon Island was a place eating itself in the days since the ghost of Sun Hei came to haunt it. With bigger and better things burning and breaking across the Fire Nation the island with its meager population and small complement of soldiers stewed in a slowly building pressure cooker of fear and mistrust.

Wrongness was everwhere on the island.

It was in the wide eyes of the hardened soldier igniting flame over fists when a squad got rowdy and drunk. It was in livestock gone mad or fleeing. It was in a mother striking her young daughter, snarling in anger, then staring in shock as the anger passed, it was in the way civilians barricaded their homes and slept fitfully. It was in the shadows that seemed too long and too dark each night.

But most commonly it was in the dreams. Dreams of being attacked by trusted allies. Dreams of the moon becoming a mouth that smiled as ships sank beneath red tinged waves and a man in a cage of mist shouted he was a conqueror. Dreams of being chased through the dark and thinking escape was reached only to look back and see light as home scaught aflame and a shadow outlined against the firelight came rushing forward.

Most ominously it was in the burns shaped like a handprint appearing on faces across the island.

Things got steadily worse as Meng Taori relocated all but a single division away from Dragon Island to the other battlefields and fronts. The ability for Zuko loyal forces to exert control over the situation slipped ever downwards. This was seen most clearly when a number of Sun Hei's former cultists managed to escape and set up shop in the grand temple Sun Hei had spent his last days erecting.

As shadows danced and a hateful ghost murmured in the dark of the faithfully dreams the cultists prayed and offered worship to the leader who had returned from death itself. For surely this was a feat worthy of praise, surely the sense of horror and wrongness that stained the air and earth were simply the Master's anger at the unworthy.

As battles were fought across the Fire Nation the rising star of Zuko's court Peng Liu sent a detachment to Dragon Island, hoping to prove the worth of his project and deal with a dangerous problem. The group of monks that arrived were a motley bunch gathered from anywhere they could be found, the soldiers that came as guards joked that a good judge of which monks were legit was which ones paled the moment they set foot on the island.

The wise ones really didn't want to be here.

Still the Monks had their orders and what was occurring on Dragon Island was an affront to the natural order, the kind of uncleanness they were raised up to see wiped away.

A grand ritual of exorcism was begun, with brazers of incense burned at specific points on the island, chants and devotions as the wise poured their will upon the rot of spirit that had been Sun Hei.

Across the island the dreams inflicted seem to blur and distort as the one weaving them found itself snared and pushed back. The pressure of invisible fangs at everyone's throats became more distant, and some among the sages felt as if they were gaining traction.

In a better world this would have been the end of Sun Hei's hateful specter, removed like a bad smell, the fear and pain caused at last allowed to fade away.

But Peng Liu's conscripts were not all true monks and sages, there were charlatans and con men who had slipped in under false pretenses among the Dragon Island mission's ranks. Their fumbling and lack of true spiritual presence meant the grand ritual was incomplete, running out of power before Sun Hei could be forced back into the cycle of rebirth as he should have been.

The Ghost of Dragon Island was enraged by the failed effort, having felt the possibility of true death come so close. The shadow and mist apparition ranted and raved in dream and waking world alike now, demanding all under his touch rise up against the pretender Zuko who sought to banish Sun Hei from his home. Fear tainted the island and the people faced with the clear inability of the Zukoists to get rid of Sun Hei were cowed.

Much of the island's population including near a division worth of soldiers surged out with Sun Hei's cultists among them. Those not swayed or terrified into the Ghost's hold fought back in a bloody series of falling back actions. Winning and reclaiming Dragon Island for Zuko seemed to be impossible with the limited force present.

Eventually the surviving core of Zuko sworn and those who simply hated the cult leader's ghost more than they feared him were driven back to the main port, fortifying their position against attack by the now hostile Island folk and sending increasingly frantic messages to anyone who would listen, calling for reinforcements.

The Haunting of Dragon Island would continue much to its inhabitants' misery.

Last edited:

私たちは主以外に誰にも仕えません
MANIFESTATION
OF

THE DRAGON'S POLICING UNIT OF INNER CONTROL
" 竜憲兵隊 "

私たちは主以外に誰にも仕えません
  • ARTICLE 1
    FOUNDATION

I // Through order of COLONEL KAIZAWA, Southern Fire Nation Military District Commander, on the year 101, Spring, a new section of the Southern Military District shall be created. //
    II // Through order of COLONEL KAIZAWA, Southern Fire Nation Military District Commander, this new section shall be known as THE DRAGON'S POLICING UNIT OF INNER CONTROL. Alternatively, the Military Police. //
    III // This new policing unit shall, upon its induction of members, both founding and further on new, swear the FIRELILY OATH. //

• ARTICLE 2
    ESTABLISHMENT

I // The Military Police shall be unquestioningly an ARMY SUB UNIT. By its foundation, it shall work in and under the Southern Military District as set by COLONEL KAIZAWA. //
    II // Under the FIRELILY OATH, it shall serve the FIRE LORD, [All of his Zukoite titles written in this section], and as such, be under the hierarchical system as follows: //
    - II.I // The Fire Lord, above all. The High General and his Cabinet and General Staff. The Commander of the Southern Military District. Any immediate or emergency power put in charge by the DIRECT AUTHORITY OF ONE OF THE ABOVE. //
    III // The Military Police shall be a peacekeeping, counter-intelligence and anti-corruption force. //
    - III.I // It shall keep the peace in occupied enemy territory. //
    - III.II // It shall control the flow of resource, information and people within the home front. //
    - III.III // It shall control the corruption of both military and civil administration. //
    - III.IV // It shall stamp down upon any kind of rebellion, dissension, betrayal or terrorism with efficiency through the powers of the Nation's law that binds us under the Fire Lord. //
    IV // The Military Police is NOT a religious unit. Any and all allegiance to Sage rule is to be stamped out. //
    V // The Military Police is made up of volunteer forces, those exemplary within the current and future war efforts and subsequent peace time. //
    - V.I // The Military Police recruits by itself and through the verification of its inner commanders. //
    - V.II // Induction into the Military Police is private to keep the inner workings of such a valuable unit secret. //
    VI // The identities of the Military Police, from CO, to NCO to enlisted, are to be kept secret. //
    VII // The official motto and calling of the Military Police shall be "We Serve None But Our Lord (the Dragon)."
    VIII // The official dress of the Military Police (PUBLICLY) shall be the regular Army uniform and rank insignia with a sash of the RED DRAGON of the Fire Lord upon a white field. //
    IX // The official uniform of the Military Police shall not exist and they shall work under the authority of both military and civilian wear for greater success within their duties. //

• ARTICLE 3
    ACTION AND USE

I // The Military Police is beholden to the Nation's Laws. //
    II // The Military Police is empowered by this Manifestation to enact the Nation's Laws on both civilian and military personnel of all ranks. //
    III // If the Nation's sanctity is threatened within the Southern Military District, the Military Police is given full authority of taking control of all civil-military administration to crack down upon terrorism,. dissension, rebellion or any kind of coup or insurrection against the righteous authority of the Fire Lord, as guaranteed by their acquiescence to the statutes of the Military Police, their inner induction and the Firelily Oath. //
    IV // The Military Police is henceforth empowered to be founded on this year, 101 AG, Spring, by order of COLONEL KAIZAWA, to begin recruitment of both civil and military personnel within its ranks and to begin immediate works against insurgency, dissension, corruption and terrorism within the Southern Military District. //

Last edited:
Ash on the Wind

@Gladsome

Let it this message be known throughout all lands held captive by the Great Storm.

May this be known, the High General Bujing, Servant to the Phoenix Queen places a bounty on the heads of Ashen Scarves members Xiu and Aya. Great Wealth, handsome lands, military position of rank and the favor of the High General will be given to any man, women or child who brings Bujing the severed heads of these oath breaking scum who dishonor themselves with the personal touch of the deserter and bandit queen Shāngbā.

The Ashen Scarves Leader and her anarchist bootlickers thinks the Phoenix Queen and the brave soldiers who fight for her can be mocked! When those which the craven worm loves die and their remains decorate the walls of Hilda Springs all Children of Flame will know the truth, mock us at your peril, betray us and be hunted to the ends of the world.

You should have just let us win.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let it this message be known throughout all lands held captive by the Great Storm.

May this be known, In my long years of service I have rarely witnessed a group so embodying the ideals of a Fire Nation solider as the Ashwalkers.

Qatun Tsaagan was a example to all for the simple reason that she
lived as befits a Fire Nation Solider driving her enemies before her and crafting a legacy of true infamy. She died as benefits a Fire Nation Solider, on a grand field of slaughter, surviving past the point many others would have fallen and slaying many foes. Every solider of the Child of Flame should aspire to such heights.

(The eating people thing was weird though, don't know why she did that)

It shames me and shames our people and no doubt would shame her personally, if she yet lived, that the last remnant of her legacy is a cowardly lapdog content to spit on her sister's oath of service to Firelord Azula. I have heard rumor's that the so called Ashen Corpse of the backstabbing Anarchist scum was once a member of this esteemed unit though what name she supposedly bore in those days is lost, if this is truth and not some aborted attempt at Anarchist propaganda then Qatun's legacy is twice defiled.

With these slights in mind I would have it known that I plan to see the Ashwalkers remade. The cream of Hilda Springs soldiers and citizenry will be forged into a true monument to Qatun's legacy, it is only fitting that the first prize of Qatun's in this war should work to produce an elite division that will ensure no one ever forgets the glory the Fire Nation can achieve as it did under her. In light of this project and it's goal perhaps the younger Tsagaan will forsake her pitiful regrets and see the honor of her family name restored by aiding in the rebirth of her sister's great work.

I put out the call to any who served with the Ashwalkers, any who owe their lives to the Ashwalkers and any members of the unit still among the living to join me in this undertaking. Such people do exist I know it, for example I have personally send missives out to the family of a Captain Lai Lee, who military intelligence informs me is a surviving member of the unit. It is my hope that Captain Lee will join the project and work to see the new become equal to the old.

Qatun has fallen but what she built will not fade away, so says Bujing.

Embers of a Conscience
with @Scrivener

In her oldest dream, Ursa dreamed her fire was a rainbow blaze that would warm the world. Dragons danced around her, and justice was delivered by the fire of her searing palm.

Her parents taught her early how to cope with such nightmares.

That is the echo of our bloodline's greatest shame, whispered papa, as he patted her strangely, and squeezed her shoulder hard. Papa rubbed it better after, and bought Ursa fish cakes. Ursa loved her father.

I should never want to raise a monster, shuddered mama, as the teeth of the hair comb scraped red scratches on her scalp. Mama kissed it better after, and bought Ursa new masks. Ursa loved her mother.

When her fire came, it was weak and so controlled. Mama was happy, and papa relieved.

Little Ursa learned her lesson, and did not dream again.

In her dreams, even before her fire came out, Kogo was drawn to fire. This was natural for firebenders, and Qatun, bored by her own dreams (constantly filled by her own ever-hungry fire), often asked what Kogo dreamt about each night.

So varied were her tales that, in another life, she could have been a playwright. She told wondrous tales of princesses and dragons, of spirits and animals, of soldiers hunting down legendary beasts. Her stories were filled with warmth and love, hope and energy, life and fire.

Her parents were so proud of her when Kogo firebent for the first time, and Qatun was ecstatic. The Tsagaan bloodline was one that rarely produced firebenders, and the birth of Qatun was already considered auspicious. That Kogo too burned with fire was considered evidence of the Spirits' favor.

Then she was sent off to the academy, to war, and she was eager for it. Her dreams of becoming a hero like her ancestors before her, like her sister, were to be fulfilled.

She never dreamt again.

A clear evening sky offers no respite from regret.

It is the night after the Kaya raid. Kogo has been placed in her own wartent, a small thing at the edge of the camp, guarded always by a spirit-masked woman, stout and strong, fingers tight around the handle of a flail. Her hands and feet are tied, loosely - enough for her to walk but enough to make it hard.

It is another of many peculiar mercies. Old army discipline would have placed her in spiked shackles for the disobedience she tried.

Ursa is here, now, from the tent opposite where the false Azulas sleep, each clinging tightly to each other in a frightened and fitful rest. The immaculate tailoring of her military outfit - flowing white robe under a chestplate of lamellar, an elegant gold hairpiece tied with red ribbons under her chin to keep it in place, a crimson cape - it's only enhanced by the bloodstains and soot that add patterns to the weave.

She sips from her teacup, sitting on her knees. Her stare is intense, but has eased from the rage of the battlefield. There is a letter at her side, re-wrapped after first opening, seal of the blue phoenix broken.

"Who is Captain Lai Lee, Kogo?" The question asked, so smoothly. "You mistook me for her, when you begged for your life. Why?"

"Nothing," comes Kogo's sharp, immediate response. Then she realizes she spoke at all, and her already small gaze shrinks away from Ursa. "No one important."

Then, in a small, tiny voice, "Why haven't you killed me?"

Ursa doesn't answer that, only makes a half-amused noise at Kogo's lie. Instead, she studies the girl - and she is one, most obviously, clearly, the swapping between terror, and sulking, and standoffish barks. It is the most Kogo has appeared her age.

"I researched you," she says, as if it's a casual thing, "before we started training. Prodigy of your year at the Academy, enlisted at fifteen with the Ashwalkers. Discharged after only five months."

Ursa's gaze wanders off, looking at somewhere, someone, elsewhere - before it snaps back.

"Where is your fire, Kogo Tsagaan?"

Kogo stays silent, but her saddened expression betrays her. Her head bows lower in shame, if such a thing were possible given her current state. Yet against all her expectations, Ursa merely waits patiently for an answer.

"It's gone," she eventually mumbles, tears beginning to form at the edges of her eyes. "I lost it. The Ashwalkers took it." She draws in a shuddering breath. Then, almost as an afterthought, "Lai Lee took it."

A teardrop falls, but she doesn't cry. She refuses to.

Ursa nods a few times to that. She reaches forward from the tea set and hands a handkerchief to Kogo, before settling back down, hands in her lap.

"Do you think that killing children will help you get it back?" She asks, her voice deadly flat. A cold wind blows through the tent. It chills Kogo down to the bones, but Ursa does not shiver.

"I-" Kogo stammers in fear, her fingers fiddling with the ropes around her wrists and her handkerchief, before whimpering out a half-hearted reply. "But- no, I don't kill children, but Azula, she- she isn't a child-"

She falls silent, her eyes filled with inner turmoil. The point had been made.

Ursa lets her stew in it, as uncomfortable as possible, before she finally speaks up.

"You are suspended from the Sisters of Rangi and will have your weapons and equipment confiscated. You will not be considered a free subject but will have limitations on where you can go, how you behave, who you speak to. You will not raise a hand against the girls assigned as Azula's doubles again," Ursa recites, using a stern register she hasn't drawn on for years. It would be almost nostalgic if the memory was not so bitter.

"From here, you will be my ward. Under my scrutiny. And my protection."

Kogo nods listlessly to Ursa's harsh words, occasionally wiping away her tears with Ursa's handkerchief. "There's a spare set of armor in my quarters," she shakily says. "From my time with the Ashwalkers. And a set of bending scrolls. Please take care of them."

She opens and closes her mouth for a moment, considering her next words, before speaking with a worried undertone.

"Why?"

Ursa recalls Kogo on the battlefield, begging for her life. Her voice cracking, tears streaming down her cheeks, the hoarse scream as she mistook her commander for Lai Lee.

She knows who it reminds her of, and to know the scarring was almost at her hands hurts more.

"Because," Ursa starts, returning to the moment, "There's a great deal I've learned recently, about fire. Fire is will. Fire is unity, the body acting at the behest of the mind, qi harnessed to burning purpose."

She rises up, tucking the letter away. "Captain Lai Lee did not take away your fire, Kogo. You did. Your fire recoiled at what it was being asked to burn. Who. And it was no more summoned when you scrambled forward to try and slay that girl, when you dissolved in a puddle of fear, of hatred."

"Because," and her expression softens, "you don't deserve to be disposed of. You can be more than that. More than what your captain wanted. Or your sister. Or anyone else, but you."

Kogo whimpers. Her eyes slowly fill up with tears as Ursa's words swirl around in her head, her mind taking them apart and piecing them together over and over again. And when her curiosity is satisfied by sudden realization-

Kogo cries. And Ursa stays. For her.

A Soldier's Bargain

"I, General Shikaku Surudoi of Yu Dao hereby agree to terms and conditions for parole for myself and my men and women under my command. This agreement releases us from the custody of your forces upon agreement that we refuse to bear arms against the forces of Azula; until such time as a new agreement has been reached regarding the treatment and transfer of prisoners of war. Failure to abide by these terms of parole is a permanent stain upon my sacred honor, and voids any right to be treated as prisoners of war. "

Signed Shikaku Surudoi (X)

Colonel Zuru ( ) @Moulin630

A Soldier's Bargain

"I, Colonel Azuh Zuru will after negotiation with General Shikaku Surudoi, will liberate him and his men and women under his command, they have accepted to refuse to bear arms against the force of Fire Lord Azula. The prisoners will be liberated little by little and will escort the civilians of Susong who wish to evacuate the city."

Signed Colonel Azuh Zuru (x)

Live Free
co-written with @Etranger and @FantasticMsFox

Okono Nori very rarely frowned. The Captain had so perfected the art of the obnoxious grin that it didn't look right on his face. Weariness? Certainly. Worry? Absolutely. But never a frown. Until now, anyway. The letter from Raku was strewn on their desk, its contents still doing a marathon around his head. Rangshao wanted Aroye. A trial. A few platitudes about how it would show legitimacy.

And Aroye, of course, sat opposite, all eagerness.

"... you want to go to this?" he startled, struggling to parse the intent.

Ketaaq is standing nearby, broad forearms crossed over his chest, attempting to keep his expression carefully neutral but nevertheless betraying hints of concern and annoyance.

Aroye took in a sharp breath as her eyes darted between Nori and Ketaaq, "Yes. I think I should, whatever form it takes."

"You've got nothing to prove to Raku, Captain," Okono insisted, leaning forward, eyes serious. "This whole thing? It's a show. He wants to posture and look big and legitimate in front of Zuko. He's using you."

"I do not know how many chances like this I will ever get, Captain Nori. Even if I am being used, it does not matter. I do not have the privilege to say no." Aroye did her best to meet Okono's gaze.

"Ridiculous," Ketaaq scoffed. "As though you will be afforded a genuine chance to explain yourself. This 'opportunity' is little more than a trap made of your own conscience, intended to lure you into their grasp. Do not be so easily led."

Okono kissed his teeth with a hiss, looking from Ketaaq to Aroye with the thinned lips of someone unable to argue against a harsh point. "He's right. Place has a whole army of Zukoites scuttling about. Raku, Shangba - they basically work for him now. And they'll have to tell him they're doing this: it's for their Fire Lord. To show how big and serious they are." A hint of bitterness, a sense of betrayal. All rare things for Nori to show.

The Captain was still frowning. "Am I supposed to put both our crews at that kind of risk?"

"I can go with Ember's Cradle, or alone, no one has to be put at risk for me."

"Then you'd just be walking into Zuko's cell alone!" Okono had bolted up, chair rattling behind him. "Raku, Corpse, Shangba, even that kid, Pico…" The Captain paced to the window, running a hand through their hair. "Whole thing's falling apart. Everyone's picking a side or getting jailed. Now you, too?"

He hesitated, glanced over shoulder. "I'm sorry. It's just-..." he looked to Ketaaq, beseechingly.

Ketaaq sighed, rubbing his eyes. "We can't do this without you, Aroye. You're our way forward. Otherwise, this is just two spoiled kids fighting over their daddy's estate and everyone in the middle gets crushed. We need an edge, and it needs to come from someone who isn't just in it for themselves."

Rallying after flinching at the Captain's sudden movements, Aroye turned to Ketaaq before speaking. "I, I do not know if I can claim to offer a way forward for either of you. I want to, believe me I do, but I can only do so much. I am-" Her voice caught. Squeezing her eyes shut, Aroye continued in a quieter voice, "I need an opportunity like this. You want me to make new technologies for you, and I will, but I cannot forget what I already have made. I can't take that back, I have to have an answer for that. I have to answer for that."

Okono turned from the window, finally, expression weary. Every part of him sensed where this conversation was leading. He had to brace, reluctantly, looking Aroye in the eye. "Then answer for it," he said, after a drawn out moment. "Here. Where neither of those tyrants can grab you. Use you. Kill you. And you'll use that time to build something that overshadows all that death."

A deep breath in. A sigh. A very final: "Because you'll stay with us, Aroye. We're not going. You're not going."

Blinking owlishly for a few seconds, Aroye took in what the Captain had just said. Instincts told her to silently acquiesce while part of her mind raged at the idea. "I-, you- you can't stop me from going." Her first thought after finishing was wondering whether Okono, Ketaaq, or herself would prove that statement untrue.

Frowning at Nori's uncharacteristic statement, Ketaaq glanced first at him, then at the other captain. "Aroye, you're not thinking clearly. You feel guilt for what you did, and that's natural. But what you're trying to do won't make it go away. It won't produce anything positive to counteract the negative. It's just giving into someone else's political agenda, letting yourself become their tool, all over again. Don't do it. Please."

Okono said nothing. His lips were a painfully thin line. Raku's letter, Pico Toloph bundled off - all of them had set this determination in him. He wasn't losing another to Rangshao. "I'm not letting you set yourself on fire for some narrow chance at forgiveness, Aroye. The whole nation is spitting out martyrs faster than we can count."

He stepped closer. "You think you'll feel absolved with a bag over your head, bundled into a carriage? How about when you wake up in the cell? You think you deserve that? Is that what this is?"

Aroye took an awkward, shuffling step back as she answered "I don't know, you don't know if that is what is going to happen!" Startling herself most of all at the sudden volume of her voice, she found herself continuing further. "I do not know if I'll just end up in a cell or worse, but I can't let myself run from this. If I run from this, I won't stop." Energy succeeding as quickly as it had appeared, Aroye let herself sag downwards, her eyes looking away from the Captain's face. "I built all those weapons. People know I did, and they hate me for it. I can do the math just as well as anyone. One to five people at least per blasting scroll, possibly an entire vessel's crew from a mine. Multiply by the number produced."

"I want to ignore that number, Captain. I want to forget what people say, what I built, I want to forget it all and busy myself with the future. But if I do that, what might I build? Ketaaq already wants me to build mines again. No, if I don't hold onto this feeling, it's only going to make the future worse."

Okono stopped his advance short, and only began after she'd finished, in a moment's lingering silence. "You know what your problem is, Aroye? You, Raku, the whole nation? You think this is it. This is justice. It's a court, a jury, and a couple papers, and a sentence. You think if that happens, it's somehow the right way to do it. To fix a thing."

He reached out, gently, hand briefly held out so as to show he meant no harm, and tried to slowly place it on her shoulder. "I don't want you to forget those numbers. Or those people. Or every consequence of what you did. I need you to hold onto that. Because you are right: I can't make you do anything. And that's the same reason every time Ketaaq said you should do it, I told him we wouldn't. But what I can tell you is this: whatever show Raku's going to put on in Rangshao isn't justice. Justice for those people? For every scroll, every mine? It's not coming. It might never come. Because this isn't a just war. It's a family dispute that's killing everything in its way. And the moment we forget that, the moment we leap right back into it, the moment we just stop and focus on what's ahead of us? We're less than people."

"That's what I need from you. Someone who realizes what we're dealing with. The scale of it. And fights against it. Finds something worthwhile to grab out of it. I need you, Aroye. Not a piece of paper telling me exactly how guilty you are. Screw Raku, and the Tome."

As he spoke, Aroye felt a dozen ways to reply die on her lips. When she finally did speak, her eyes stared at Okono's hand on her shoulder before rising to meet his gaze. "This feeling will never leave then, no matter what I do? Whether I remember, whether I forget, if I go or not, it's just a matter of chance?"

"It won't," he confirmed, quietly. "Because you're still sane. Because you didn't kill the bit of yourself that hates this - the war, the death - maybe even hates yourself, because they used you to make it bigger."

His fingers squeezed her shoulder. "No court in the world can make that go away. There's no way around it, Aroye: you weren't your own person. Now you are. If there's anything like justice to be taken out of this? It's the time we take away from them. For ourselves. For each other."

"Stay. Every second you're free is a second something good can happen."

"I..." Aroye let out a short, shuddering breath. "I will stay. I hope you are right, that something good will happen."

And Okono Nori wasn't frowning, anymore. He was back to his grin.

"It will," he insisted: "I've got a good feeling."

My name is Aiyaza. I am a servant of Fire Lord Azula. She is the most fearsome leader of the Fire Nation to date. Were it not for the treachery of her brother and uncle, the Fire Lord would have ruled every nation on Earth alongside the late Ozai. Imprisoned by the agents of the evil Avatar following a rigged duel, she escaped to reclaim her rightful inheritance.

My position in Azula's cabinet is an important one. As War Minister, I am responsible for developing and implementing new technologies to defeat our enemies both outside of and inside the Fire Nation. Not everyone agreed with the Fire Lord's return. There were many rebels who clung to Zuko. They controlled much of the central island and the capital. We had everything else. But there were problems with bandits who were not allied with either side and took advantage of the chaos.

Recently, there was a kidnapping on the coast of Yosor. An engineer of mine was snatched right under our noses. And those responsible weren't captured immediately. The problem was annoying because the engineer—what's her name, I can't remember—was quite brilliant with her terror weapons. She designed impeccable mines capable of inflicting terrible blows on rebel ships. But all we had of her after the raid was a smoldering factory. Worse, it wasn't the bandits who destroyed it. My own side did.

The overseers responsible for the decision lined up as I inspected them. Their combined fear was sick. Really, they were more beads of sweat than human beings. I hate it when people are like that. Their emotions run wild and they are so uninformative.

"I'm not mad," I said, "and you're not here to be executed."

The motley crew relaxed a bit. They weren't so gripped by emotions. I knew this was my chance to get what I wanted.

"Why did you open the factory? I read the records on hand. The workers were unmotivated, untrained, and overworked. This despite the Fire Lord's decree to the contrary. Bumkins they may be, but they are subjects of Her Highness nonetheless."

Each looked at the other in shock. One finally found the will to answer. "We wanted to stay on schedule, Minister. The naval action at the Gates of Azulon reinforced the importance of the project. Our soldiers needed every advantage possible... even if it meant circumventing safety regulations."

"I commend the attempt at initiative." An obvious fib from me. "But you failed to meet the schedule. In fact, you set it back several months. Our soldiers must be wondering where, oh where, the mines are. Well?"

They couldn't look me in the eye anymore. Shame replaced fear. How disappointing.

"So be it. What's done is done," I said. I'm not a violent person. I know only too well the weaknesses of the human mind. The vices that sapped intelligence. "I promised you would live past today. The executioner was called off."

Relief again from them.

"You will have the opportunity to redeem yourself instead."

Then hope.

"Have you ever envied birds?"

Finally, concern.

"Do not worry. You have just volunteered for my personal research. One far above what you've worked in before."

I did keep my word. Just not in the way they thought.

Last edited:
@Moulin630

To the occupier Azuh Zuru, defiler of Susong, servant of the Arch Traitor and Heretic, Azula the False.

I commend you for your swiftness in the taking of this fair city, though know I do not send this letter in good will.
I shall give you this one last chance to surrender yourself and your closest staff in return for the freedom of your men to no longer bear arms agains the Fire Lord, He Who Rides the Dragon, Beacon of The Sacred Fire of Agni, Zuko the Honorable.
If you decline, your prior agreement with General Surodoi will be upheld, however, the siege will continue and your men will suffer alongside you. This is my final and last warning. This is the final white flag I offer and will see, for I shall soon be blind to that color and shall only paint in red.
Do not test the patience of His Wrath.

Signed,
Colonel Tatsuhiko Kaizawa, Commander of the Southern Fire Nation Military District, Defender of Da Zhen.

@Thiccroy

To Colonel Tatsuhiko Kaizawa, servant of the Zuko.

I have received your letter asking me and my men to surrender to you.
I am not sorry to say this but it will not happen.
Me and my men have decided to follow Fire Lord Azula for the good of the Fire Nation, like you and your men have chosen to follow Zuko for what you believe to be the good of the Fire Nation and we will not surrender without fighting, it would dishonor us and betray the trust that Fire Lord Azula has in us.
So we will see each other on the battlefield.

Signed,
Colonel Azuh Zuru.

Small Steps
(Joint IC with @CobaltCloyster)

Flames licked out in the courtyard as the Fire Warriors continued their days sparring under the hot noon sun. Grown used to one another, their sisterhood had been tested in recent days with the capture of several of their comrades and the new lurking threat of assassins. Childhood was no defence in this war. Their elders would not show them any mercy for daring to be born into a world not of their making.

They had another reason to keep their katas at fighting perfection. Not everyone had the honor of being observed by their Fire Lady.

Azula stood on the wooden balcony, hands on the crimson lacquered timber as she granted her soldiers an appearance.

They weren't friends. They never would be. She'd learnt the hard way what trust would earn, what assumptions would cost. But she wouldn't make the mistake of taking loyalty for granted either. There were far too many traitors to have not learnt that lesson.

"Fire Lady Azula," Ikanu said. Azula had barely heard the dancer's approach. She'd gotten better at walking quietly, Azula noted. "Do you have any notes? I think that Shoku has improved markedly," she gestured at the scrawny looking girl visibly struggling in a spar against one of the other warriors.

Azula watched as the younger girl was beaten back again and again. It wasn't her fault. Her opponent was the stronger, the older, the more experienced of the pair. And still she struggled on. It wasn't good enough.

"Perhaps." Azula replied. "Though I hope her performance improves quickly. Not everyone will be willing to be as gentle with her as her sparring partner."

Ikanu smiled. "Her performance will improve. She's determined. Especially if you're watching. She admires you greatly," she said, "Which might explain why she's one of your better doppelgangers. She even has that, 'Kneel before me, wretch,' glare down."

Azula would never admit to giving Ikanu a side eyed glare. That would be beneath her dignity. But a lesser, peasant mind might have mistaken her regal bearing as such a thing. Ikanu Sho was lucky that the Fire Lord was in a permissive mood at the moment. Her father would have burnt more useful courtiers alive for such impertinence.

"You've taught them well." She offered, begrudgingly offering the compliment. "You've taught them the skills necessary for their role."

Whether they'd survive, that was on them.

The smaller girl who Ikanu had indicated lost another spar; her opponent sweeping her feet out from under her and holding her hand pointed directly at the girl's head, a small flame flickering at the tip of her extended index finger. In a real battle, the girl would be dead.

"You could train with them some," said Ikanu. "Their fighting styles are more similar to yours than they are to mine. They would benefit from your instruction."

Azula turned her head to look at Ikanu, the same calculating expression, the same measuring judgement in her eyes.

"You care about them. Don't you?" She asked, voice curious. "More so than most commanding officers would."

"I do," Ikanu answered without hesitation. Azula had seen how Ikanu flattered and dissembled with others in Azula's court, but the woman was always direct and honest with Azula. Obviously, she knew the consequences of lying to her Firelady.

"I care about them because they were placed under my authority, so it's my responsibility to ensure that nothing harms them if it's in my power to prevent it. Some of your officers may accuse me of 'useless sentimentality' for thinking like this. They're wrong. There's a pragmatic angle here.

Most commanding officers are overly callous idiots. Take Bujing. The people serving under him may respect his skill as a warrior or a strategist, but they do not respect him. They follow his orders either because they fear him, or because they see his plans as sound. Simple self-preservation. But no one will really fight for him. They won't seize initiative or act beyond whatever orders they were given.

Honestly, if he died, I think most of his soldiers would celebrate. What do you think that does to his army's morale? Being a heartless bastard may seem like the smart, pragmatic option, but it just makes people hate you."

Ikanu nodded at the Fire Warriors. The scrawny girl's sparring partner had helped her up. She was laughing at something the taller girl had said.

"They're getting better, and I don't think they would be if they were trained by someone who treated them like they're expendable. Useless sentimentality isn't so useless when it gives results."

"I see. Well, it appears that they are lucky that you are somewhat of a father to your men. Or in this case, a mother. You must be very proud of your investment."

There was no disapproval in Azula's tone, but nor was there support. If anything, it was curiosity goading her to scratch away at Ikanu's motives.

"If so, then they are fortunate to have you."

"I think you should train with them. Like I said, they'd learn a lot, and they already respect you. And you would benefit from having their trust." Ikanu's expression is hard to read, "Trust and loyalty go hand-in-hand, and having loyal people around makes it safer to sleep at night. A woman needs to sleep sometime."

"Trust? If there is one thing they should learn, trust is another weakness that will be exploited." Azula said dismissively.

Ikanu raised an eyebrow, "Then make them trust you. If trust is a resource, then it's one you should use. Leaving resources unused is wasteful, and I know you're not wasteful, Azula."

Azula matched her with a raised brow of her own at the blatant attempt at manipulation, then shrugged. If this was a trap, she'd figure it out before it became a problem. Turning, she strode away from the balcony, her stride taking her down the stairs towards the yard.

"Very well. At the very least they can improve their footwork. Almost perfect is never good enough."

Turn 4- Summer 101 AG Map & Stats

Map thanks to Cetash Wayo 👑

Stats T4

Fire Lord Zuko (Caldera)
Fire Nation (Zuko)
Polity
Leader(s): Fire Lord Zuko
Government: Universal absolute monarchy
Ideology: Enlightened absolutism
Legitimacy: Good
Stability: Average
Supply: Good
Military
Army: Large/Good/Good
Detail-
Army size: 3 irregular divisions, 122 infantry divisions, 20 cavalry divisions, 11 armored regiments, 4 siege regiments, 6 guard divisions
Army quality: 18/30
Navy: Medium/Good/Excellent
Detail-
Navy size: 5 Battleships [+1 in 3 months], 25 Cruisers [+4 in 3 months, +9 in 6 months], 17 Frigates [+2 in 3 months], 25 Patrol Boats [+5 in 3 months]
Navy quality: 20/30
Airforce: Small/Poor/Poor
Detail-
Airforce size: 12 airships, [+2 airships 3 months, +1 airship 6 months], 38 hot air balloons [+6 hot air balloons 3 months, +8 hot air balloons 6 months]
Airforce quality: 7/15

Fire Lord Azula (Kaya?)
Fire Nation (Azula)
Polity
Leader(s): Fire Lord Azula
Government: Universal absolute monarchy
Ideology: Fire imperialism
Legitimacy: High
Stability: Poor
Supply: Good
Military
Army: Large/Good/Good
Detail-
Army size: 11 irregular divisions, 129 infantry divisions, 19 cavalry divisions, 11 armored regiments, 4 siege regiments, 1 earthbender regiment, 1 guard divisions
Navy: Medium/Good/Good
Detail-
Navy size: 2 Battleships [+2 in 6 months, +1 in 9 months], 31 Cruisers [+18 in 3 months, +9 in 6 months], 28 Frigates [+19, +3 in 3 months]
Navy quality: 19/30
Airforce: Small/Poor/Poor
Detail-
Airforce size: 16 airships [+4 in 3 months], 46 hot air balloons [+7 in 3 months]
Airforce quality: 8/15

Yeshe Tome
Polity
Leader(s): N/A
Government: Consensual confederation
Ideology: Anarchism?
Legitimacy: Poor
Stability: Average
Supply: Average
Military
Army: Tiny/Good/Poor
Detail-
Army size:
6 irregular divisions, 1 infantry divisions, 2 cavalry divisions, 0 armored regiments, 0 siege regiments, 1 earthbender regiment, 0 guard divisions

Turn 4 Starting Commands

ZUKO
CALDERA
Army:
0 irregular divisions, 6 infantry divisions, 1 cavalry divisions, 1 armored regiments, 0 siege regiments, 2 guard divisions (Royal Procession, Sisters of Rangi) [-1 infantry Gates] [+6 infantry divisions recruitment, +2 armored regiments 3 months] [+1 armored regiment 6 months]
Navy:
[+2 Cruisers 3 months, +2 Frigates 3 months, +5 patrol boats 3 months] [+4 Cruisers 6 months]
Air Force:
7 airships, 10 hot air balloons [-1 airship, +4 airships, -2 hot air balloons] [-2 airships to Majeek] [+1 airship 3 months, +1 airship 6 months, +6 hot air balloons 3 months, +6 hot air balloons 6 months]
PCs: Lady Ursa, Ty Lee, Peng Liu, Tsaagan, Juzo Ze
NPCs: Mai

Kaya
Army:
0 irregular divisions, 14 infantry divisions, 3 cavalry divisions, 3 armored regiments, 2 siege regiments, 3 guard divisions (Royal Procession, Dragonfire Legion) [-8 infantry, -3 cavalry, -1 armor, -1 siege] [+1 infantry division recruitment]
Air Force:
3 hot air balloons
PCs: Prince Zuko, Tadashi Kenji,

Tottori
Army:
0 irregular divisions, 25 infantry divisions, 2 cavalry divisions, 2 armored regiments, 0 siege regiments, 1 guard divisions (Yu Yan Archers) [+14 infantry divisions, +1 armored division from Caldera] [+1 infantry division recruitment]
Air force:
0 Airships, 3 hot air balloons [+3 hot air balloons]
PCs: Ouji Shinwoo

Susong (outside)
Army:
0 irregular divisions, 19 infantry divisions, 4 cavalry divisions, 2 armored regiments, 0 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions
Navy:
0 battleships, 10 Cruisers, 6 Frigates
Air force:
0 airships, 1 hot air balloon
PCs: Kaizawa, Shikaku Surudoi?

Da Zhen
Army:
0 irregular divisions, 5 infantry divisions, 0 cavalry divisions, 0 armored regiments, 0 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions [+3 infantry division recruitment] [+1 armored regiment 3 months] [+1 armored regiment 6 months]
Navy:
0 Battleships, 1 Cruisers, 2 Frigates, 9 patrol boats [+4 patrol boats] [-2 patrol boats] [-2 Cruisers, -2 Frigates]
Air force:
1 airships, 7 hot air balloons [+1 airship] [+4 hot air balloons]
PCs: Ozen Hanma, Shen Yang

Dragon Island
0 irregular divisions, 1 infantry divisions, 0 cavalry divisions, 0 armored regiments, 0 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions [Rest to Burning Point]
PCs:

Rangshao
Army:
3 irregular divisions, 4 infantry divisions, 0 cavalry divisions, 0 armored regiments, 0 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions [4 infantry from Dragon Island]
PCs: Shangba,

Rouruo
0 irregular divisions, 5 infantry divisions, 0 cavalry divisions, 0 armored regiments, 0 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions [-6 infantry divisions, 1 cavalry division, 1 armored regiment to Burning Point] [+2 infantry division recruitment] [+1 armored regiment 3 months]
Air force:
1 airship, 3 hot air balloons [+1 airship] [+3 hot air balloons] [+1 airship 3 months]

Burning Point
Army:
0 irregular divisions, 25 infantry divisions, 6 cavalry divisions, 2 armored regiments, 2 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions [-7 infantry divisions, -2 cavalry division, -1 armored regiment, -1 siege regiment] [6 infantry divisions, 1 cavalry division, 1 armored regiment Rouruo] [2 infantry divisions, 2 cavalry divisions, 1 armored regiment, 1 siege regiment Dragon Island] [+2 infantry division recruitment] [+1 armored regiment 3 months] [+1 armored regiment 6 months]
PCs: Tiger Shark

Sandu
Army:
0 irregular divisions, 6 infantry divisions, 0 cavalry divisions, 0 armored regiment, 0 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions [+3 infantry division recruitment] [+1 armored regiment 3 months]
Navy:
0 Battleships, 0 Cruisers, 0 Frigates, 13 patrol boats [+7 patrol boats, +1 Battleship repaired 3 months, +2 Cruisers repaired 3 months +5 Cruisers 6 months]
Air force:
0 airships, 5 hot air balloons [+4 hot air balloons]
PCs: Combustion Man
NPCs: Combustion Boy

Feixi
Army:
0 irregular divisions, 10 infantry divisions, 3 cavalry divisions, 1 armored regiment, 0 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions [-1 infantry division] [+1 infantry division recruitment]
Navy:
2 Frigates
Air force:
0 airships, 1 hot air balloons
PCs: Lei Yamashita

Rangshao-Laotie Coast
Navy:
5 Battleships, 14 Cruisers, 8 Frigates, 4 patrol boats [-8 Cruisers, 7 Frigates, 6 Patrol Boats]
Air force:
3 airships, 4 hot air balloons
PCs: Meng Taori, Majeek

Kuza (Zuko)
Army:
0 irregular divisions, 2 infantry divisions, 1 cavalry divisions, 0 armored regiment, 0 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions
Navy:
0 Battleship, 0 Cruisers, 1 Frigates
Air force:
0 airships, 1 hot air balloons [+1 hot air balloon]

AZULA
KAYA hinterlands
Army:
0 irregular divisions, 17 infantry divisions, 3 cavalry divisions, 1 armored regiments, 0 siege regiments, 1 guard division (Fire Eaters) [-5 irregular divisions, -10 infantry divisions, -1 cavalry division, -1 armored regiment, -1 siege regiment] [+2 infantry divisions recruitment]
Air force:
2 airships, 7 hot air balloons [-3 hot air balloons]
PCs: Cyo Krane

Hida Springs
Army:
0 irregular divisions, 22 infantry divisions, 5 cavalry divisions, 2 armored regiments, 0 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions [7 infantry divisions, 1 cavalry division, 1 armored regiment to North Gate] [+7 infantry divisions, +2 cavalry division Shuhon] [+6 infantry divisions recruitment] [+1 siege regiment 3 months]
Air force:
4 airships, 3 hot air balloons [+1 airship 3 months, +2 hot air balloons 3 months]
PCs: Princess Azula, General Sikai

North Gate of Azulon
Army:
0 irregular divisions, 10 infantry divisions, 1 cavalry divisions, 1 armored regiments, 1 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions [7 infantry divisions, 1 cavalry division, 1 armored regiment from Hida Springs]
Navy:
[-2 Battleships, -8 Cruisers, -5 Frigates]
Air force:
2 airships, 3 hot air balloons (move???)

Susong
0 irregular divisions, 14 infantry divisions, 3 cavalry divisions, 2 armored regiments, 2 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions [-12 infantry divisions, 2 cavalry division, 1 armored regiment, 1 siege regiment] [+4 infantry divisions, +1 cavalry division Feixi, +3 infantry divisions, +1 siege regiment Aikan]
Navy:
0 Battleships, 11 Cruisers, 5 Frigates [Damaged]
Air force:
1 airships, 2 hot air balloons
PCs: Azuh Zuru, Commander Aikan

Burning Point
0 irregular divisions, 21 infantry divisions, 4 cavalry divisions, 3 armored regiments, 0 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions [+2 cavalry divisions Eastern Islands; 2 infantry divisions Shuhon, 4 infantry Laotie] [-5 infantry divisions, -2 cavalry divisions]
Air force:
3 airships, 8 hot air balloons [+1 airship Eastern Islands, +2 airships Yosor, +7 hot air balloons Yosor]
PCs: General Zakura, Sei (Theaxofwar)

Laotie
0 irregular divisions, 4 infantry divisions, 0 cavalry divisions, 1 armored regiments, 1 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions [+1 armored regiment, +1 siege regiment] [+4 infantry divisions recruitment] [+1 armored regiment 3 months]
Navy:
0 Battleships, 0 Cruisers, 4 Frigates [+3 Cruisers 3 months, +4 Frigates] [+3 Frigates 3 months]
Air force:
1 airships, 4 hot air balloons [+1 airship, +2 hot air balloons] [+1 airship 3 months, +1 hot air balloons 3 months]

Southern Peninsula
Army:
9 irregular divisions, 9 infantry divisions, 1 cavalry divisions, 0 armored regiments, 0 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions [+9 irregular divisions, 4 infantry divisions recruitment] [+5 infantry divisions, 1 cavalry division Laotie]
Air force:
[+4 hot air balloons 3 months]]

Rangshao
Army:
0 irregular divisions, 7 infantry divisions, 1 cavalry division, 1 armored regiment, 0 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions [-1 infantry division] [+2 infantry divisions recruitment]
Navy:
[+3 Cruisers 6 months]
PCs: Iwa Kuro

Kuza (Azula)
Army:
0 irregular divisions, 7 infantry divisions, 1 cavalry divisions, 0 armored regiment, 0 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions [+3 infantry divisions, +1 cavalry division]
Navy:
0 Battleship, 0 Cruisers, 0 Frigates
Air force:
1 airships, 2 hot air balloons
PCs: Firelord Azula

Southern Coast (under Da Zhen)
Navy: 1 Battleship, 4 Cruisers, 8 Frigates [-2 Cruisers, -2 Frigates]
PCs: Cai Cuifeng

Shuhon Island
Army:
0 irregular divisions, 14 infantry divisions, 0 cavalry divisions, 0 armored regiments, 0 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions, 1 earthbender regiment [-7 infantry divisions, 2 cavalry divisions to Hida Springs] [-2 infantry divisions to Burning Point] [+10 infantry divisions recruitment] [+1 armored regiment 6 months]
Navy:
0 Battleships, 2 Cruisers, 5 Frigates [+1 Battleship 6 months, +5 Cruisers 3 months, +5 Frigates] [+3 Cruisers 6 months]
Air force:
0 airships, 4 hot air balloons [+2 airship 3 months]
PCs: Yoshiro Kaga, Tamaguzuka, Pico Toloph, Aiyaza

Yosor Island
Army:
0 irregular divisions, 3 infantry divisions, 0 cavalry divisions, 0 armored regiments, 0 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions [-1 infantry division Burning Point] [+2 infantry divisions recruitment] [+1 armored regiment 6 months]
Navy:
1 Battleships, 14 Cruisers, 11 Frigates [+1 Battleship 6 months, +1 Battleship 9 months, +5 Cruisers 3 months] [+3 Cruisers 6 months] [+5 frigates] [+1 battleship, 6 cruisers, 5 frigates Sandu] [+6 Cruisers, +1 Frigate gates]
Air force:
1 airships, 7 hot air balloons [+1 airship] [2 airships to Burning Point] [+1 airship 3 months]

PCs:

Eastern Isles
Army:
0 irregular divisions, 2 infantry divisions, 0 cavalry divisions, 0 armored regiments, 0 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions [-5 infantry divisions, 3 cavalry divisions Burning Point, -3 infantry divisions, 1 siege regiment to Susong] [+1 infantry divisions recruitment]
Navy:
0 Battleships, 0 Cruisers, 5 Frigates [+5 Cruisers 3 months, +5 Frigates] [+3 Cruisers 6 months] [6 Cruisers to Susong, rest with Cuifen]
Air force:
1 airships, 6 hot air balloons [+1 airship] [1 airship to Burning Point, 1 airship Susong, 3 hot air balloons to Susong]
PCs: Haga, Ichizo Shimari

Eastern Isles (Haga)
Army:
2 irregular divisions, 1 infantry division

Rangshao
Army:
6 irregular divisions, 1 infantry divisions, 2 cavalry divisions, 0 armored regiments, 0 siege regiments, 1 earthbender regiment, 0 guard divisions [+1 infantry division, +2 cavalry divisions, +1 earthbender regiment]
Navy:
0 Battleships, 0 Cruisers, 0 Frigates
Air force:
0 airships, 1 hot air balloon
PCs: Raku Kasai, Lai Lee, PokerLurker

Kuza
Army:
5 irregular divisions, 6 infantry divisions, 2 cavalry divisions, 1 armored regiment, 1 siege regiments, 0 guard divisions [+2 irregular divisions]
Navy:
0 Battleship, 2 Cruisers, 3 Frigates
Air force:
0 airships, 3 hot air balloons
PCs: Hanako

Pirates
Navy:
0 Battleships, 0 Cruisers, 2 Frigates
PCs: Okono Nori, Etranger, Aroye

Sun Hei
Army:
1 irregular division, 1 infantry division