Do you remember our promise?
1. Beginning

Potato

Randomly exploding
// VANNET // TOWER WIDEBAND // AudCHNL-623F // ENCRYPTION ENABLED
// CRYPTARCHY ARCHIVE DELTA-4F // ANNOTATED // CLASSIFIED

TYPE:
LIVE SURVEILLANCE FEED
PARTIES: Two [2]. One [1] Guardian-type, Class Titan, designate Commander Zavala [CZ]; One [1] Guardian-type, Class Warlock, designate Ikora Rey [IR]
ASSOCIATIONS: Commander Zavala; Rey, Ikora; Fireteam 'Into the Breach'; Empress Caiatl; Vex; Earth; Medium Orbit [Earth]

//TRANSCRIPT FOLLOWS…/

CZ: We have a developing situation in orbit.

IR: Lay it on me.

CZ: Guardian Fireteam 'Into the Breach' was on a mission to salvage damaged Warsats. They came upon a derelict spaceship. Unusual in this instance, because it wasn't in this particular debris field last week. External labelling marked it as Penrose-512. It was emitting high levels of radiation, and another signal that the Fireteam's Ghosts couldn't quite decipher.

IR: What of it? Derelict spacecraft litter our orbit - those of the Golden Age and that of our foes.

CZ: The Warlock's Ghost, upon committing deeper scans, detected traces of temporal activity. They thought it was Vex, rightfully so, and entered to investigate.

IR: I'm guessing that the Vex weren't involved. Otherwise, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

CZ: Indeed. The ship has been affected by strong Paracausal forces, and no trace of Vex activity was found. As for the Paracausal force, the Ghosts couldn't decide if it was Light or Dark. The ship's internal space has become greatly altered and now features non-Euclidean geometry. The Fireteam, upon exiting the spacecraft using a different exit, found themselves in a snowy environment. They immediately decided to return before filing a report on VANNET. Analysis is ongoing, but a preliminary statement from the Cryptarchy tells me that they don't have a match for ships named Penrose-512 or spacecraft of its model.

IR: I want the area blockaded. No Guardians are to board that ship until express permission has been given. A ship no one knows of appears in orbit, then it just so happens to have been paracausally altered? This situation reeks of danger.

CZ: Done. I've got a Thresher from the Cabal Ascendancy on patrol. Caiatl has volunteered one of her Psions for any exploration missions. I think that we should secure the craft as soon as possible, lest other hostile forces in Sol take notice.

IR: I concur. But all Hidden teams have been deployed to Savathûn's Throne World or Neomuna. I don't think I can spare any agents. What of the Guardian?

CZ: He's currently on mission with the Awoken to find a path into the Traveler. I doubt that he'll be available for some time.

IR: I'll see what other Guardians are available for this mission.

CZ: I'll get a preliminary briefing ready.

BANG.

The ship seemed to creak as the Titan slammed feet-first onto the deck, shotgun at the ready. Peering through his HUD, he scanned the room in a sweeping arc before speaking. "Clear," he intonated over the radio.

A Warlock and Hunter descended through the hatch, gently gliding in zero-G before the ship's artificial gravity yanked them both onto the deck with a clang! that seemed to echo through the hold. The Hunter took a knee, a hand-cannon aimed squarely at the room's only other exit. The Warlock hummed gently and materialised his Ghost, who zipped around before nodding at the Warlock and de-materialising.

"Just as the report said," the Warlock, Franciszek-11, frowned. "No-one else here but us. Strong distortions in local space-time, but no trace of the Vex. And then there's the rads. Haven't seen readings these bad since Manhattan."

"Good thing we're already dead, aye?" The Titan, Hafiz, said. "But first things first: let's get the radiation source settled first, then investigate if any of the rooms lead into other spaces. Ghost, mark the radiation source on my HUD. Wei Jie, Fran – watch my back."

"I could scout ahead," the Hunter, Wei Jie, suggested. "It's part of my job description."

The Titan shook his head. "In these sorts of non-Euclidean spaces, there's no telling if you can leave the way you came. And the last thing we need is for one of us to disappear around a corner like a bad Golden Age holo-drama."

The fireteam proceeded carefully, checking corners and speaking in sharp, crisp words to minimise confusion. They worked like a well-oiled machine, each taking to their roles with practiced ease. Wei Jie set up radio beacons to mark their steps, and mapped their path accordingly. Fran took scans, and photographed items of interest. Hafiz stood next to doorways, shotgun ready to deliver death to any hostile attempting an attack.

But soon, progress stalled.

"This is the same beacon from earlier," Wei Jie said in annoyance. "We're walking in loops here. It looks like we're not getting to that radiation source."

Hafiz shook his head. "The Psion is telling me the same damn thing. We're teleporting as soon as we enter certain doorways, and we're just circling around on this ship."

"Could we get the Thresher outside to crack the ship open?"

Fran shook his head. "That's been ruled out by the Vanguard. We're treating this like a Vex simulation, for now. And when a Vex sim with inconsistent geometry is forced to interact with regular physics," Fran mimed an explosion with his hands.

"Then let's get these side-rooms," the Warlock said. "Whatever paracausal force is causing this, it's less intense here. It shouldn't be affecting these rooms."

The fireteam turned to investigate. First, a room that probably served as a mess hall. No signs of life, although the space had been used in times past. Extremely long ago, given the dust that practically blanketed every surface. Wei Jie swiped a MRE and the others pretended to not notice. Second, a storage room, stacked high with refuse and other supplies. The Warlock took a cursory scan, pausing to look at a painting that lay against a cargo crate.

"Looks like whoever lived here was an artist." Fran squinted as he took in the half-finished drawing. "Charlie, note that down. It could come handy." Charlie, Fran's Ghost, bobbed in the air once before de-materialising.

And then–

"Third room. Breaching!" The Titan said, stepping forward. Derelict as this ship was, internal power continued to actuate doors. Hafiz stepped forward, eyes immediately drawn to the slumped-over figure next to a cot. Black armour with red accents, appeared female, possibly human, he mentally catalogued. His helmet's internal scanners reached out with electronic eyes, but found no signs of life. Dead, or inactive.

"We've got a body," he called. "Fran, search it – Wei Jie, I want you to see if you can get a comms link out."

"Got it, Sue."

"And stop calling me that!" Hafiz grumbled to muffled laughter from Wei Jie, who exited with wave.

The Warlock took a knee, setting aside his auto rifle as he retrieved a multitool from his belt. With a flick of his wrist, Charlie materialised in a flash, and began to scan the body as Fran began to take his own measurements.

"No pulse, no body temp, but strangely little decomp. I'm seeing significant bionics implantation, and the tissue is all kinds of strange," Charlie reported in a steady tone.

"Could it be the lack of air? There's an atmosphere here but almost no oxygen. Bodies preserve well in anaerobic conditions," Fran murmured distractedly, multitool scratching the various surfaces of the body for samples.

"True, but not usually this well," Charlie replied. He sent out another spray of Light. "Hold on…if I'm seeing this correctly, then this isn't human. It's…"

Charlie's shell rotated in something like confusion. "Huh, it's something like an Exo. It's got digital storage and everything. CPU, circuit boards, internal servos. Got some kind of polymer component for skeleton and musculature. The 'blood' is some kind of colloid."

Fran nodded. "Practical things first. Is it going to get back up?"

"Probably not. Internal mechanisms have been wrecked. The radiation hasn't been kind to it either. I'll download as much of its data as I can, although…"

Fran nodded. "Most of it would have been corrupted by the rads. Grab what you can get, and let's go." He absent-mindedly twisted the body's limbs, watching them actuate. Whoever had made this had been very skilled. Barely any seams at the joints, unlike an Exo. If it weren't for Charlie, Fran would have been convinced that this was a human body.

"Are we done here?" Hafiz asked. The distracted Fran turned around to answer, "Just about. Charlie and I are–"

Click!

Hafiz stiffened at the noise, shotgun immediately levelled at the body in a flash, but then laughed as he lowered the Wastelander. "Fran, you clumsy Warlock! You've detached its arm!"

"What, I–" Fran looked down. Sure enough, he'd pulled the body's right arm clean off, separated just above the elbow. "I didn't mean that, okay? It was an accident! I was holding onto it when you spoke, then I must have pulled it off while–"

"I'm just joking, Fran," Hafiz chuckled. "C'mon. Stow that away, we're still on the job. You can explain it during the debrief."

"Just in time, too," Charlie interjected as he de-materialised the limb into storage. "I've just finished my download. Let's go."

The duo stood up and exited the room, only to face a pacing Wei Jie, scuffing the steel floor with his armoured boots, cloak swishing angrily. Fran unconsciously reached for Arc Logic at the sight. Wei Jie only paced when he was faced with a situation he didn't like. And for a Hunter, that could only mean one thing.

"We're trapped in here," Wei Jie flatly said. Even through the opaque glass of the Vanguard-issue helmet and Wei's neutral tone, both Fran and Hafiz could practically see the scowl on his face. "We've lost contact with the Psion, and I can't reach any radio comms. Vanguard, Drifter's illegal broadcasts, dead Warsats – I've got nothing."

"How about our exit?"

"I tried to leave the way we came. Ended up looping back to this room. We're stuck," Wei Jie practically spat.

"First things first, then. In practical terms, we're stuck on the Penrose. Let's consolidate our resources before making a choice," Fran piped up.

Hafiz nodded at Fran approvingly. "Ever the voice of reason. I've got my standard load-out, two shotguns, a heavy grenade launcher, and my backup sidearm. MREs for a week, and ammo for that time. Only a little Glimmer, however."

Fran gestured to himself. "Got my blinding 'nade launcher, rifle and LMG. Ammo and supply are about the same, although I've got a moderate amount of Glimmer. Got the parts for a small Glimmer drill, although it'd take time to assemble, and it doesn't have much in the way of throughput."

Wei Jie sighed. "Just about the same in terms of weapons, ammo, and general supplies. I've also got my radio beacons and some Glimmer."

Fran rubbed his fingers together in thought. "Practically speaking, we've got the supplies to last us a while. Staying here will only burn through them and leave us with as many answers as we currently have. The only way to go is–"

"Deeper into the beast's mouth," Wei Jie huffed in annoyance. "Just hoping that this doesn't end like it did for Taeko. 'Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, Or close the wall up with our English dead.'" He quipped.

The team squared up, and headed for the second 'exit'. According to external scans of the ship, this door should've led into another compartment, but had led the previous Fireteam into a snowy wasteland, 'almost like Europa', the report read. Just before they reached the door, Hafiz spoke.

"Fireteam," he called out. "We don't know what's out there. So let's keep our heads on a swivel and try not to make too much noise. As soon as this door's open I want everyone on alert – treat this like you're in an active warzone, like on Neomuna.

Wei Jie, I want to see some of that Nightstalker training you've been boasting about. Fran, I want those Exo eyes peeled, and your instruments scanning the environment for anything we can use. Got it?"

The Hunter and Warlock nodded affirmatively. Hafiz stepped forward, hand resting on the exit door, before pushing the activation button. Frost-streaked winds immediately flushed into the ship's compartment, coating its surfaces with hoarfrost. Wei Jie dropped another radio beacon at his feet, before readying his scout rifle. Fran compulsively ordered another diagnostics on his electronics. Hafiz checked the Wastelander's ejection port a final time before raising a fist.

"Fireteam, go!"

Franciszek-11 - Warlock. No-nonsense. Not concerned with theoreticals, just practical effects. Arc, Crown of Tempests, Blinding Nades, Arc Logic, Seven Seraph LMG. Enjoys automatic weapons. People joke that he should have been a Titan. Ghost's name is Charlie.

Wei Jie - Hunter. Proud. Likes reading. Void, Dire Promise, Royal Chase, Corsair's Wrath. Takes pride in precision kills, but enjoys explosions as well. Quotes literature. Spends a lot of time in the EDZ, enjoys nature. Subscribes to Lord Shaxx's 'throw more grenades' philosophy. Ghost's name is Sparkle.

Hafiz - Titan. Inquisitive. Unusually introspective for a Titan. Solar, Heart of Inmost Light, Wastelander M5, Matador 64, Blast Battue. Back-up SMG. Weapon philosophy prefers shotguns and explosives, one-shot, one-kill. Known to use his guns as ad hoc melee weapons. Ghost's name is Sidonia.

I do want to know though, anything else this fireteam has done before this mission?
Mainly wondering because of the Rotfront and Nowhere locations, and whether or not this team has dealt with a similar situation before.
Just saying, the parallels are there.

2. Entry
"...should've packed warmer clothes," Wei Jie grumbled as he trudged over another lump of snow, cloaked in Void light, teeth chattering from the cold. He peered across the snowy wasteland, electronic scanners returning nothing from their pings.

"And that's the third time you've complained about that," Sparkle buzzed in mocking laughter. "Your own damn fault for ignoring the 'snowy wasteland' part of the VANNET report."

Wei Jie rolled his eyes. He knew that no one could see his face under the ceramic-composite armour, but it helped to relieve some of his annoyance. "Yeah, yeah, laugh it up, Sparky. You're the one who's going to have to revive me when I inevitably die of hypothermia."

"And I'll gladly do it, just to watch you freeze again," snarked the Ghost.

"Less yapping and more updates, Sparky." He paused to run his gloves over the rifle's scopes, which had begun to frost over. He ignored the telltale prickling of frostbite and flushed his limbs with Solar light to put the problem off.

"Geez, cool it, will ya? Get it?" the Ghost sent a hum of humorous anticipation at Wei Jie.

"I get your awful pun. Now, updates on the airwaves, please," Wei Jie said, peering downrange through Royal Chase's boxy scope. He took a quick glance at the rifle's radar sub-unit, which once again informed him that he was alone out in the wasteland.

"Right. Firstly, some of the radio signals we've been getting are definitely human."

Wei Jie perked up. "Vanguard comms? Have you tried raising FOTC channels?"

"Nope. These stations aren't the usual, and they seem to be stuck on 'send'. No responses to any messages I'm sending out. Charlie and Sidonia concur. And as for the few frequencies that are active, I've got some classical music, pre-Golden Age probably, and a numbers station of some kind."

"Let's hear it, then," Wei Jie grunted as he once more toggled a scan, which told him the same damned thing it had been telling him: no one else ahead. He suppressed the uneasy feeling that he was nonetheless being watched. It was probably just the snow playing tricks on his mind.

Sparky tuned into the channel – 125.000 kHz – and interrupted, "Just so you know, it's spoken in an Old Earth language. I've translated for you. Aren't you glad that your Ghost loves reading as much as you do?"

"I do, Sparky. And silence is the perfectest herald of joy, so shush and let me hear it."

The radio hummed out three musical notes in cycles, before a woman's voice came on, through a haze of background static. "Attention, attention. 03246-16, 38146…" The pattern continued for a while, and Wei Jie listened for a while longer before signalling for Sparkle to turn off the radio. Sparkle's attention turned to him expectantly.

"You're asking what I think?" Wei Jie exhaled, climbing over another snow dune, scans once again returning empty. "Well, it's automated, to begin with. All the words have the exact same intonation. Apart from that it tells me nothing, I don't exactly have the context for these numbers."

"Neither do I. They don't match any on the Vanguard codebook. No pattern to the numbers, either. Polybius, hexadecimal and ASCII – I've tried an assortment of decryption methods to no end." The Ghost explained.

"Curiouser and curiouser. Do we at least have an origin to the signals?"

"No, they don't appear to have any noticeable origin. The signals sort of just radiate from the environment."

Wei Jie nodded, trying to suppress the feeling of being watched. He couldn't help but feel like he and his fireteam were intruding on something sacred (or unholy). He took a deep breath to quiet his heart before soldiering on, checking his rear for possible tails before speaking. "So, any updates from the others?"

The Ghost whirred. "Charlie got some interesting things from the scans he took of the body. According to its onboard data storage, we're looking at a human settlement, well-industrialised and populated, possibly located outside Sol. They appear to be entirely unaware of us, much less of the City or the Light."

"Another Neomuna situation?"

"Seems like it, although the Eusan Nation – that's what they call themselves, by the way – seems to be much larger than Neomuna, since it occupies numerous worlds. There's even a mention of a war within that system, with other humans."

Wei Jie frowned. Human-on-human conflicts were deeply distasteful to him. In an age where Sol's human populations were restricted to a mere two cities in a star system, war between humans was unthinkable. Human life was more precious now than ever in the history of Sol.

If these people fought with each other, and they were unaware of the Light, then they probably wouldn't hesitate to shoot him if they considered him a threat.

"Any other actionable intel? You know what the ancients say. 'If you want peace, prepare for war.'" In that case, he would need to know of any potential abilities or skills of these people to avoid getting blindsided in a fight – and win one, if need be. The thought of taking the life of a Lightless human was disagreeable, but Wei Jie was sure that if he were to fight, he wasn't going to lose.

From the hum of agreement, he knew that Sparkle agreed wholly.

"It's likely that the Eusan nation doesn't field organic human soldiers, but rather more of the body we found on Penrose-512. You see, that body is something that the Eusans call a Replika. Not a true human, but a copy of a human mind in a mechanical body – not unlike an Exo, like Fran." Wei Jie nodded along, attention split between absorbing Sparkle's analysis and watching the desolate wasteland. Another scan returned empty-handed.

"Then it wouldn't be wrong to assume," Wei Jie reasoned, gears turning in his mind, "That these Replikas, like Exos, were developed for war. Certainly makes more sense to toss replaceable bodies into the meat grinder of industrialised combat than to toss in irreplaceable organics; you could always make more Replikas."

How did that quote go? Wei Jie strained his memory to an earlier reading from a recovered pre-Golden Age archive, 'The effectiveness of military forces is largely dependent upon the efficiency of the industries supplying those forces.' Distasteful, but it made sense from the cold logic of total war, especially one that occurred at a planetary scale. Didn't make the thought of eliminating hundreds of human-equivalents feel any better, Wei Jie reflected with some bitterness.

"Your conclusions match mine. If the generic model number of that body – LSTR-512 – means anything, then yes, they're likely mass produced. As for each Replika, a quick-and-dirty simulation of the polymers that comprise its muscular and skeletal tissue mean that it would have excellent striking force for a human, and would be reasonably more resilient."

Wei Jie sighed, the respirator blowing up clouds of condensation. "Great. Any good news?"

"Yes. Material analysis of its armour shows that plain old ballistics and Light would both work fine. Their CPU is in the head, so do what you do best, Mr. 'finest marksman in the Tower.'" Sparkle teased. Wei Jie laughed, feeling the tension disappear from his shoulders. "It was just the one time," he protested, "And I was drunk when I made that claim. I'm a great shot, but far from the best."

"Yeah, as Ana proved the next day. Scuttlebutt from the Tower says that you owe her two thousand Glimmer, but I'm your Ghost. I know it's a lot more than that." The Ghost transmitted a sense of smugness.

"As you keep reminding me. Any other details, smart guy?"

"Not really," Sparkle sent an impression of a shrug over the link. "Data corruption was fierce, and–"

A sharp, clipped tone cut their conversation short. "Hold that thought," Wei Jie interrupted. "Terrain scanner just gave me a solid return signature. Sparky, I want that on my HUD."

Sparkle dutifully placed a red marker on his map. Pulling on the Void, Wei Jie stalked forward, Royal Chase in a low-ready stance. He silently checked his ammo counter a final time before continuing forwards. Before long, he could just make out the outline of a blocky, cuboid structure through the billowing snow, his helmet's onboard AI helpfully highlighting the building's outlines.
Who are you?
He paused, laying down in the snow and ignoring the ripple of shivers that passed through his body. That feeling again. He felt like something was being demanded of him, but what?
That power. It's almost like…
"You feel it too, don't you?" He muttered. Sparky transmitted a sense of worried assent. Worry practically dripped from the mental transmission.

Wei Jie took a prone position, rifle aimed at the building. "Sparky, call the others. Tell them that we've found something out here." Fortunately, the thermal scope didn't find anything. The paracausal itch remained.

"Done. They're on their way here now. But I have something more pressing." Sparky said seriously, all traces of his earlier blitheness gone. He interfaced with Wei Jie's helmet and placed several markers on the snow. "I've got some footprints, here and over there. We aren't alone out here."

Wei Jie stiffened, feeling an adrenaline spike. He toggled another scan, but predictably got no returns. "Details?" he murmured urgently.

"Fresh tracks, but snow has started to fill them, so they only just passed us by. If we assume normal feet shape, then they're heading towards the structure."

"Thanks, Sparky."

"Aw, I love you too, Wei." The Ghost hummed a buzz of amusement.

"Not that familiar, you pesky Ghost!" Hunter and Ghost shared a muffled snigger. Anything to ignore the sensation that they had stepped into a tomb.
Not yours. It's mine.

Hafiz stepped forward, shotgun up. Fireteam "Past our Expiration Dates" weren't alone out here, as the tracks into the heretofore unidentified structure attested to. As far as Wei Jie's scans and investigations could tell, the tracks belonged to only one other person, but Hafiz wasn't about to let his guard down. Not all enemies of the City left footprints, after all.

He took comfort in the fact that not many things would survive a hot load of FOTC-standard 12-gauge. And most of what could survive the first wouldn't survive the second.

Behind Hafiz, Fran-11 crunched through the snow, anti-Nightmare charms clinking as they bounced on the polished polymer surface of Arc Logic. Though the threat of Nightmares had been largely reduced throughout Sol, Fran swore up and down that the charms improved his weapon's effectiveness against paracausal enemies.

At the very least, Hafiz and Wei Jie had managed to convince Fran to purchase a newer Seventh Seraph SAW for his heavy weapon. Said machine gun rested on Fran's back, ammo belt loaded and ready to spew a stream of hot Arc death.

The duo hiked over a small incline, taking care to watch each other's backs as they made their way towards Wei Jie, whose Void cloak left him nearly invisible in the snow. But years of dealing with Nightstalkers in Crucible and Vandals in combat had left both the Titan and Warlock with a keen eye for the telltale shimmer of Sol's many invisibility techniques. Soon both of them had Wei Jie in sight.

Hafiz pursed his lips to whistle—
You're not her.
He blinked. "You felt that too, didn't you?" Fran suddenly said. Hafiz swallowed the lump in his throat and nodded an agreement. There was that paracausal force again. Stronger, too. He steeled himself and summoned his will: a Titan is a bulwark upon which the Darkness breaks. He dismissed his fear and pressed on.
Can you hear me?
He stepped forward, lips pursed, and whistled sharply, a keening tone cutting through the whirling snow. A lump in the snow shimmered once before it stood up, revealing an irate Wei Jie.

"Took you long enough."

"Sorry, land nav in snow isn't my best suit," Hafiz replied apologetically. "Any updates?"

Wei Jie gestured in the negative. "No movement, no heat, no shifts in the electromagnetic spectrum. But Sparky tells me that the paracausal force we felt in the ship suffuses the place. I don't like this."

"Neither do I. But we have a mission. Fireteam, hup!"

The fireteam formed up in a line: Hafiz in the front, shotgun aimed ahead; Fran in the middle, scanning for flankers; and Wei Jie, holding up the rear.

The trio scooted towards the facility, low, clipped tones marking their conversation. Before long, they'd moved past a damaged steel-wire fence, and after that, they arrived before a blast door, marked in letters of foreign languages. Fran summoned Charlie in a splash of Light, who zipped over to scan an access panel.

"Fran. Get that door open," Hafiz called, him and Wei Jie fanning out, weapons at the ready. Each took cover behind debris that littered the snowy field, eyes watching the unchanging landscape for movement.

"Roger," Fran answered, extending the Splicer components attached to his gauntlets. With a whir, he'd formed an interface with the system, working with Charlie to slice through security. A nudge from Charlie told him that Charlie had already handled the translation of the system's native language to City Standard, to which he responded with a flush of affection. Fran then turned his attention to the system, parsing its readouts row by row:
BEGINNING SYSTEM STARTUP
FIRMWARE VERSION 52▒▒▒▒▒▒.▒▒▒▒.1
BOOT DEVICE FOUND - DISK 0
RAM DETECTED
CURRENT DATE: ▒▒▒▒▒▒
WELCOME TO AEON FACILITY SIERPINSKI-23
WARNING! THIS FACILITY IS CURRENTLY ON LOCKDOWN UNDER ORDERS OF AEON SECURITY FORCE COMMANDER FLKR-S23▒▒▒▒▒▒
LOCKDOWN CODE: ▒5▒▒▒▒2▒
ACCESS DENIED
GLORY TO THE REVOLUTION AND THE EUSAN NATION

Fran frowned under his Arc matrix helmet. Well, he and Charlie were both pretty certain they could hack this machine. If they could interfere with the Vex, this pissant machine would be a minor obstacle. A flex of his will and a flash of Light later, the machine had been sufficiently convinced to release its locks.

With the creak of disused steel and the groaning of old hydraulics, the armoured door shuddered open, dust falling from its surfaces to reveal a messy foyer of some kind: furniture had been overturned, and only a few overhead bulbs remained lit. Writing covered the walls, which were painted grey and white. Some posters hung on the walls.

"Hafiz, Wei, door's open!" Fran called. Titan and Hunter smoothly stood up from their cover and walked backwards into the now-open foyer, rifles still aimed outwards at any potential threat. Now indoors, the Guardians took cover behind overturned furniture as Fran disengaged his Splicer gauntlet, trusting that Charlie could handle the door, whose electronic security was a joke.

"That was easy," Wei Jie spoke up, standing up from behind a flipped-over desk. "Usually, when we open a door, hundreds of dubious little creatures come pouring out of the woodwork while our Ghosts scare themselves silly trying to get it open." A tinge of disbelief coated his words. Fran couldn't help but agree, and feel slightly insulted. Sure, an easy door was one thing, but why was the electronic security so awful? Rusted scrap from the Badlands had better protections than that. The only thing that door was keeping out was the snow.

"Yeah…that was pathetic," Fran said, "For a nation that can make lifelike humanoids, they sure skimped on security."

"Let's not get distracted," Hafiz announced. "Their failure is to our benefit. Now that we're no longer at risk of freezing to death, we need to refocus on our goal. As Sidonia has told me, the paracausal force is deep underground, way below us. Let's secure the area, then use it as a staging site for deeper exploration below."

"ROE, Hafiz?" Fran asked.

Hafiz paused, conferring with his Ghost. "Ask for surrender. And if they're hostile…do what you have to do."
Please, if you see her…don't hurt Elster.

Last edited:
Neat, never heard of Signalis before beside a wiki article with no spoilers and a picture. Considering it's paracausal nature I wouldn't put the dead LSTR-512 (probably the main character) down for good.

3. Foothold
Fortunately for the trio, the first storey had been largely abandoned, so their concerns of having to fight (and kill) humans were unwarranted. Rooms were empty, and a little dusty – they hadn't been used for a while, then. It was an administrative area, nothing but filing cabinets and cubicles.

There weren't any signs of life, bar the flies that buzzed around the Guardians, and the security cameras that doggedly followed their every step. Wei Jie had been apprehensive about those, but relaxed once a quick scan from Sparkle told him that the cameras had long ago ceased recording. The lockdown had frozen their greater functions, so the local server informed them.

After securing the rooms, Fran hijacked the level's CCTV and native security setup to rig a basic detection and IFF system. If anyone other than the Fireteam and their Ghosts intruded into this level, all three of them would immediately know. Then, Hafiz decided that the best thing that they could do was collect intel, so that they could make an informed choice on their next step.

They still had so many questions. What was Penrose-512? What was this facility, Sierpinski-23? Why was it under lockdown? Where had everyone gone? How did all this connect to the paracausal phenomena they had faced? Where was this Eusan Nation, and how had they avoided an invasion by Vex, Hive, and other extraterrestrial threats?

To cover ground more quickly, the trio dispersed into different rooms, each on their own objectives, tearing apart shelving and allowing their Ghosts free reign over whatever computers they found.

By the fifth hour, the Fireteam had explored the entire level, and found a way downstairs – an access lift, although it wouldn't budge. Fran and Charlie were confident that they could coax it to move, so it didn't rank high on their list of concerns. They marked it on the Fireteam's common map and moved on. Now done with their own data collection, the trio converged upon a pre-agreed rendezvous point.

"...Rule of Six is bloody moronic," Wei Jie grumbled to Hafiz, perking up as Fran rounded a corner into the meeting room they'd commandeered for their use. Both Titan and Hunter had taken their helmets off: Wei had kicked his feet up on another chair while Hafiz busied himself with weapon maintenance.

"Sorry I'm late, got caught up with my scans," Fran apologised, sitting down at the table and removing his own helmet. Hafiz, who was polishing his Wastelander, looked up and waved his hand dismissively.

"It's not a big deal. We're not exactly on a timer," Hafiz returned, dematerialising his weapons and sitting up in his chair. "So, who wants to go first on what they found?"

Wei Jie leaned forward and cleared his throat. "I'll go. So I focussed on the nature of the Eusan Nation that we've found ourselves on. To put it bluntly, it is a shithole."

Fran and Hafiz blinked in unison. "Sorry?" Hafiz asked, eyebrows raised.

"I mean it," Wei Jie shrugged. "The Eusan Nation is an authoritarian surveillance state where your every step and every act is recorded. If you don't toe the party line, or if you failed to meet a deadline or weren't productive enough, that's it. What they call the 'Protektors' show up, and you're gone – forever. No-one sees or hears from you again." The implication was clear, and it didn't sit well with either Lightbearer.

"Citizens are forced to fight in the Eusan Nation's wars when they're of age, and nobody gets to choose their job. The Nation decides for you. Creativity and individual expression are suppressed, and the punishments for anything are severe."

Hafiz frowned and Fran steepled his fingers. "It gets worse, I assume?"

"It does. They use slave labour. Here in Sierpinski-23? I've found some pretty damning evidence that organic human labour is forced to work here. And not to mention the Replikas, who I'm pretty sure also counts as slaves. I mean, they're a mass-produced caste of sentients, created specifically to do work for Eusan and are then destroyed when they're no longer useful. Replikas aren't Frames, you know. They're thinking people."

The uncharacteristically serious Wei Jie stared at the other two members of the Fireteam, something burning in his eyes. "Frames are…well, they're alive, but not really sentient. They act off of a set of pre-written instructions. If a Frame's neural net is provided enough time, they could grow to become sentient – as it has for Arcite – but they're not sentient out of the factory, so it's hardly slavery to put them to work."

"But these Eusans, they make machines in the vein of humanity, capable of thought and emotion out of the factory, and work them till they're dead. Like in this office–" Wei Jie gestured around him, "–about nine of ten workers here were Replikas."

Wei Jie's scowl was dark, and promised bloody vengeance. He growled out, "So as the books say: 'Freedom is right of all sentient beings.'"[1]

The silence was damning. Of course, everyone knew that Sol was hardly squeaky clean when it came to this sort of thing. The brutality and horrors of the Dark Age still resonated to this day, but this was another thing entirely. This was industrialised cruelty on a scale unmatched by even the most reviled Warlord. Life in the Last City wasn't perfect, but it was still a damn sight better than this.

"Well, on a lighter note, I've found a map of the local system – we appear to have left Sol altogether. For habitable locations closest to their star, to the furthest: Buyan, Vineta, Kitezh, Rotfront, Heimat and Leng. Some of these planets aren't named, presumably because no one lives there.

We're on Leng, which happens to be furthest out. Buyan's apparently the HQ of this great enemy I keep reading about in propaganda, the Empire or something; and Heimat is the HQ of Eusan. There's apparently a massive, ongoing conflict on Vineta. Real nasty fighting.

But here's the interesting part."

Wei Jie leaned forward conspiratorially. "They call Vineta the Cradle of Humanity."

Hafiz frowned. "That can't be right. Humans originated from Sol. The fossil record shows it."

Wei Jie shrugged. "I know. I've certainly seen enough ancient ruins to be convinced that Earth is the birthplace of humanity. So what's going on here? Propaganda, most likely. The Eusans love their propaganda, I'm sure we've all seen the flags and posters. With their information control, it wouldn't be too hard to convince a cowed populace that this was their homeworld."

"But to what end?" Fran interjected. "Why go through all this effort to forget Earth?"

"Probably as a motivator for them to fight over Vineta with the Empire," Wei Jie shrugged. "I know from experience that people will fight harder for a cause they believe in. And if the Eusan populace thinks that their enemy is occupying a planet that belongs to them by birthright, well, they'd fight like hell over it." It was chilling, and more than a little unpleasant, but the rhetoric made a cold sort of sense, Fran thought.

"Doesn't make it right," Hafiz answered. Fran nodded along. The Fireteam's Titan always was a bit of a stickler for rules, and 'doing the right thing'. Sunbreakers tended to be a little strange, even for Titans. Fran was certain that the entire situation was appalling to him.

"Let's look at this practically," Fran spoke up. "We can't let these people know about Sol. I don't know about you, but I'm not looking to lead an authoritarian government hell-bent on subjugating humans back to Earth. We've got the firepower with the Empress Caiatl's battlefleet, but would the Coalition be able to hold back multiple planets' worth of forces? I don't think so." The idea of leading a million angry soldiers into the mess that was Sol was chilling to everyone present. The Vanguard already had enough on its plate without worrying about a new hostile force in Sol.

"On that note, I'm done," Wei Jie said with faux cheer. "Anyone else?"

"I'll go," Fran piped up. "I've got a general analysis of the general capabilities of any enemy combatants we may face. As expected, this facility is secured by a large number of Replika troops, some mundane, others less so."

"Firstly," he reached out with an open palm, calling Charlie out. Charlie floated to a blank wall and projected an image of several humanoids. "We've got STARs, a more common model of combat Replika. They shouldn't be a major threat, they're mostly armed with small arms and riot shields. And I've got two such guns here."

Fran reached into his 'backpack' and retrieved the two handguns he'd found, materialising from stored data. He placed the sidearm and hand-cannon in the middle of the table. Wei Jie leaned forward in interest, and, just as Fran expected, picked up the hand-cannon, taking care to safe the weapon before fiddling with it. "Found these in a safe, but I forced Arc into some loose wire I found and sliced the safe open. Turns out, hardened steel doesn't mean much to a well-tuned Arc stream."

"Very nice find, Fran. It's well-balanced," Wei Jie complimented, aiming the gun at a wall. "Good sight picture, too. So what's with the sidearm?"

"For the sidearm, its ammo isn't very remarkable – just 10mm steel core. It'll shatter on Titan plate, and it'll flatten on Warlock and Hunter weave. It might penetrate the thinner parts of your armour."

"And this cannon?" Wei Jie asked as he unlocked the cannon's cylinder to extract the rounds.

Fran watched Wei Jie fiddle with each cartridge. "It's chambered in 12mm. It still lacks the power to pierce Guardian armour, especially because it's hollow-point, but the increased force behind each round might cause internal damage. With its greater stopping power, it will pierce the softer bits of your armour."

"But if you're careful, even a Fallen Dreg would be a bigger threat than anyone carrying these two weapons."

"Sweet," Wei Jie hummed, reloading the hand cannon and twirling it once before dismissing it into his 'backpack'. "If you don't mind, Fran, I'm taking this."

"And I'll keep the sidearm," Hafiz said, de-materialising the sidearm into storage. He gestured at Fran with an upwards tilt of his head. "Fran, the rest of your briefing, if you would?"

"Right. Next, I've got STCRs – pronounced 'Storch', by the way – they're combat leadership. They're armed with shotguns and stun batons."

"And those shotguns?"

"No clue. Couldn't find one, or specific data about it. More of the Nation's information control, I suspect. But if you have to face a STCR, then just treat them like the average ape in Crucible – stay out of range and shoot them from a distance."

"I resemble that statement," Hafiz smiled.

"You do," Fran smirked, before a more serious mien took its place. "The last two combat Replikas are significantly more dangerous. They're called KLBRs and FLKRs." Fran pointed to the tallest and shortest two humanoids on the projected image. On both, three red diamonds adorned their foreheads. Wei Jie leaned forward, and Hafiz sat up straight.

"They're dangerous, mostly because we don't have a clue what their main powers are. They possess something called 'bioresonance'. From what I could parse from the propaganda, bioresonance is paracausal. Telepathy and telekinesis are just the beginning of this power. It also forms the basis for Eusan's terraforming technology."

"How would we fight one?" Hafiz asked, an undercurrent of tension beneath his words. Fran shrugged.

"No clue. Details are sparse. In practical terms: just shoot them with the biggest load you have. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it." The abruptness of the answer shocked the room into silence. Hafiz suddenly burst out laughing, clapping his hands in mirth. "Wonderful, Fran. Keep up the good work."

Fran nodded at Hafiz and then at Charlie, whose shell rotated twice before zipping over and dematerialising. Fran sat back down, gesturing to Hafiz. Hafiz stood up and walked to a chalkboard. He sketched an outline of a multi-layered map, each labelled with different sections.

"This," Hafiz announced, "Will be our operational plans for now. From what I could find, Sierpinski-23 comprises several lower floors, at least eight, possibly more. Measurements from my Ghost indicate that the paracausal force we're feeling is on the bottom-most layer."

"According to what I could find, Sierpinski-23 is a mining facility, so we're not exactly going up against a Cabal legion or Vex subnet, but given the militarism of the Eusan Nation, some opposition is to be expected. We're going to search each layer for resources and clues, then regroup here. If we meet anyone, we can try to talk to them, and bring them to safety, if need be. But given how this nation is run…combat may be unavoidable. Avoid giving the enemy more info about yourself than strictly necessary. We'll dive deeper and deeper, until we're at the source of the paracausal power.

Let's get some rest, then it's off to the first layer: B1, Reeducation." He punctuated his point by slapping the chalkboard with a thwack.

"Reeducation – isn't that ominous," Wei Jie muttered under his breath.

WEAPON ACQUISITION

PROTEKTOR
SIDEARM
What lies beyond that black Gate?

EINHORN
HAND CANNON
Everyone's falling ill. I'm not sure if the quarantine will stop the spread.

[1] By the time of Destiny, Transformers is almost certainly old enough to be considered classical literature.

Last edited:
We've got the firepower with the Empress Caiatl's battlefleet, but would the Coalition be able to hold back multiple planets' worth of forces? I don't think so."
I might be misinterpreting our fireteam overestimating things, but I wouldn't sell the Coalition forces short.
….actually taking another look at the bit about firearms I probably am but I already typed up the following and I don't want to delete it:

Dealing with massive enemy armies isn't exactly new for Guardians.
Need I remind everyone of the Hive, or the Red Legion?
I mean shit, in the latter case the only reason Ghaul got as far as he did and didn't get bumped off not long after entering the system is because of active interference by one of the Nine.

Also the typical Guardian M.O. is to punch through a weak point in enemy lines, make their way to and kill the enemy commander in charge of the area/local operation, destroy anything important looking on the way in, and get out.
And the typical enemies they have to deal with are quite a bit larger, meaner, and tougher than your standard human or Exo (which Replikas would probably count as).

EDIT: oh yeah just remembered something else.
Guardians have got Overshields in addition to their normal armor.
in the chapter they mentioned "guardian plate" and I didn't know if you knew about the overshield thing.
If you're looking for an explanation on it, I don't really have much of one beyond "it's fucking magic". The reason why it's limited is probably because a Guardian can tell bullets/exlposives/lasers/Strange Matter/rotting starfire to fuck off before they can't anymore.

Last edited:
I might be misinterpreting our fireteam overestimating things, but I wouldn't sell the Coalition forces short.
….actually taking another look at the bit about firearms I probably am but I already typed up the following and I don't want to delete it:

Dealing with massive enemy armies isn't exactly new for Guardians.
Need I remind everyone of the Hive, or the Red Legion?
I mean shit, in the latter case the only reason Ghaul got as far as he did and didn't get bumped off not long after entering the system is because of active interference by one of the Nine.

Also the typical Guardian M.O. is to punch through a weak point in enemy lines, make their way to and kill the enemy commander in charge of the area/local operation, destroy anything important looking on the way in, and get out.
And the typical enemies they have to deal with are quite a bit larger, meaner, and tougher than your standard human or Exo (which Replikas would probably count as).

EDIT: oh yeah just remembered something else.
Guardians have got Overshields in addition to their normal armor.
in the chapter they mentioned "guardian plate" and I didn't know if you knew about the overshield thing.
If you're looking for an explanation on it, I don't really have much of one beyond "it's fucking magic". The reason why it's limited is probably because a Guardian can tell bullets/exlposives/lasers/Strange Matter/rotting starfire to fuck off before they can't anymore.
The Guardians are (a) assuming the worst, and (b) operating off VERY imperfect information. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best and all that.

The Guardians are (a) assuming the worst, and (b) operating off VERY imperfect information. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best and all that.
yeah I had a feeling that's what was going on.
Like I said, I had most of that typed up already, and the reason why I even typed all that up is because I've seen some fucky crossovers before so my first instinct was to go on the defensive.
thx for clarifying.

Yeah, like that one Inheritance Cycle crossover that had A FUCKING DISCIPLE on the side of the bad guys. That was really…I'm still at a lack of words.
same author made that MH cross where a titan got hurt and killed by normal humans with bows and spears.
Not some form of high ordinance, either, normal human shit.
And I know Guardians do use those sort of weapons, difference here is the fact that their bows are a lot fucking stronger.
Near the end of the Imperial Needle lore tab has it's owner state outright that "a Bow with enough draw strength to penetrate a tank at 100 yards. ".

Also, being fair to our intrepid Guardians, they are well aware of at least some Paracausal wibbly-wobbly Stuff going on (it's why they're here poking atound inbthebfirst place! And the whole 'step off a spaceship onto a planet thing...') so assuming their enemies can't use a low powered orbprimitive weapon to be a real threat via Space Magic is a fast path to 'REZ PLZ!'

What is the name of this crossover? And what is the problem with the disciple? Is the disciple a crossover element?
forums.spacebattles.com

Stargazer (Destiny/Inheritance Cycle)

"Every end crawls from the same pit, rising from the schism to swallow matter, Light and life. It cannot be stopped, but here, it can be slowed." A meshing together of two different universes in what I hope is something approaching believable for both. Or, well, at least tipped towards the...

The author of this particular work has buffed the bad guys of Inheritance Cycle with a Disciple. The MC Guardian just can't catch a break.

4. Meet-and-Greet
The elevator doors creaked open with the scream of grinding metal. Out of the access lift stepped Hafiz, Wastelander ready to kill. He strode forward, shotgun aimed at the door directly opposite the lift. His eyes surveyed the room – "Clear," he intonated sharply across the fireteam's comms.

Behind him, Wei Jie and Fran-11 stepped from each side, weapons raised as they scanned the other two ends of the room. "Left clear," Wei Jie said, checking an empty receptionist's booth before turning to aim at the leftmost door. Fran in turn carefully scanned the right side of the foyer before declaring, "Right clear!" He looked at Hafiz, who gave him a confirmatory nod.

"Attempting hack," Fran said, "Cover me." Hafiz moved forward to shield Fran, Wastelander aimed between the forwards and rightmost doors. Fran holstered Arc Logic and attempted to deploy the Splicer gauntlet, but it merely whirred once upon initiation before automatically deactivating. Fran looked at the other two Guardians and shrugged. "No nodes for access, Charlie concurs." Hafiz nodded and gestured to the other doorways. A quick check revealed the forward door to lead to an empty – if dank – toilet, and the rightmost door had been physically jammed shut. Someone had engaged the manual lock, and the electronic controls didn't help. The Fireteam debated forcing it open, but eventually decided against it.

With one last exit out of the foyer, the three Guardians formed up alongside the threshold with practised ease. Hand cannon at low ready, Wei Jie tensed at a sudden flicker on his HUD. He pinged his teammates on the comms and spoke urgently, "I've got movement on radar. Tally one bogie, roughly nine o'clock. Watch it!"

The other two Guardians nodded in acknowledgement. Hafiz then raised a hand at his teammates: move in on my command. He mimed a countdown, and on the last count, he punched the door's activation button before stepping forward into the next room, Wei Jie and Fran hot on his heels.

The three Guardians quickly entered the next room, weapons up to face any potential hostile. Scans indicated that the unknown was approaching them from the left. Then, there was sudden movement in Fran's peripheral vision – a humanoid stepping out from behind a corner.

Acting on pure muscle memory, Fran stepped to the side, smoothly twisting his torso to minimise himself as a target to the unknown. Behind him, Wei Jie and Hafiz were already moving to respond, fanning out to surround the target and move behind cover.

Fran flicked his rifle up to aim at the moving humanoid, mind already racing to evaluate the target. Female, probable STAR-class Replika, Einhorn hand-cannon in its right hand. Stumbling, grimacing, bloodstained armour, favouring its left side; likely injured. Minimal threat.

He snapped out practised words. "HALT! Drop your weapons, I want to see your hands!"

The figure paused, a surprised expression on her face. She leaned forward with the hand-cannon in a low-ready stance. There was a pause as she turned to get a better look at Fran. Unlike the ones from the posters, this STAR wasn't wearing a faceplate. So those were removable, Fran mentally catalogued.

The Replika began to speak at the Fireteam, a tone of suspicion audible under the foreign language. "Engaging simultaneous translation," Sparkle murmured over their link. There was a whir and a beep as Sparkle worked. The audio feed hiccuped for a moment before the static faded to reveal the android's speech, now in City Standard. "Readings nominal, with a .11 second latency," Sparkle reported. "We're good to go."

"…Gestalts? You're not one of ours," the STAR said with a hint of suspicion. "Identify yourselves. Who are you with? Internal Security? Army? Empire?" The android finished the last word like it was a slur.

Wei Jie pinged Hafiz on the Fireteam comms channel. An automated message popped up in response to the ping on Hafiz's HUD: "AS WE PLANNED. COVER STORY 03." Hafiz and Fran stepped forward, weapons at low ready; Wei Jie receded into a dimly lit corner as he pulled on the Void to cloak himself, hand-cannon still trained on the STAR.

"We're explorers," Hafiz explained calmly, making sure to enunciate clearly for the translator. His helmet's external speakers repeated his message in Eusan. "Our ship crashed on this planet after we entered your system. We detected your outpost and came to search for assistance…although from the looks of it, you guys might need our help more than we need yours."

The STAR paused, eyes flicking to each member of the fireteam. "You're from outside the system?" the Replika slowly inquired. "In that case…by Eusan law, you're trespassing onto a secure area, and I'm supposed to detain you for questioning. But I'm beyond caring – I'm getting out of Sierpinski-23 while I still can, and you should too. If you're actually looking for help, just wait on the surface. Heimat'll send a QRF once they realise that Sierpinski has gone offline."

"Why? What happened here? We were trying to figure that out ourselves," Hafiz asked.

"Not authorised to tell you," the STAR insisted. "Anything that happens here is technically classified, and foreigners obviously lack Protektor clearances, hell – you all lack even the most basic civilian clearances. But I can tell you this much…there's nothing left of worth underground." The STAR turned to glare at them. "I'll say this once last time: leave while you still can."

Hafiz nodded along. "We're well-prepared for any eventuality that may arise. I wish you the best of luck, but I still have some doubts. I was hoping you could clear them up for me."

The STAR paused in consideration, before shrugging. "They're probably going to decommission me after this is all over, anyway. Ask, and I will try to answer. Just know that I can't – and won't – give you classified data."

Hafiz and Fran shared a look. Fran toggled his helmet speakers and asked, "What's this war we've been reading about? What's the Empire, and what's the Eusan Nation?"

The STAR turned an eye towards Fran, staring for a moment before speaking. "The Empire is the great enemy. We split off from the Empire under the command of the Great Revolutionary. We fight a war to stay independent from the Imperial tyrants." The STAR rolled her eyes. "That's what the agitprop says, at any rate. How much of it is genuine is beyond me."

"How long would it take…Hei-mat, was it? To send a response force?" Hafiz asked, purposely stumbling over Heimat's pronunciation to add to the lie.

"Who knows anymore. We're on the outskirts of the system, and the Nation has bigger fish to fry," the STAR answered boredly.

The pair continued to ask questions, while the STAR answered, declined, or stayed silent. The experience was decidedly frustrating, but it was slightly helpful. The Replika had helped to fill in some of the blanks in the Fireteam's understanding of the system they'd landed in. The fact that the Eusan Nation lacked a clear understanding of FTL was a relief, and the Nation's laser focus on defeating the Empire at least meant that a Eusan QRF might never arrive to investigate.

Upon finding out that the Fireteam truly intended to go deeper, STAR merely shook her head before looking at them with something like pity. "At least you're well-armed, unlike the LSTR," she nodded approvingly at the Guardians' wide array of visible firepower.

"LSTR?" Fran asked. The word rang like an alarm bell to Fran. Did this unit have anything to do with the other LSTR unit on Penrose?

"Yes. There was another Replika here – an LSTR unit, not one of this facility's. She came here looking for a Gestalt named 'Alina', who's probably already dead. But the LSTR decided to persist in her search," STAR frowned.

Fran shared a look with Hafiz. "What was her serial number?"

"No clue."

As the conversation petered to a stop, STAR wished the Guardians the best of luck before leaving through the access lift. She quickly disappeared from their radar.

"...and that's it. She overrode the lockdown with her own codes, which I've intercepted. She's left the facility – Level One's surveillance gear has lost sight of her," Fran reported, Splicer gauntlet deployed as he peered through the first level's myriad security systems. The Fireteam had taken temporary shelter in a side room to track the STAR as she escaped. The door was electronically locked, but a flick of the Splicer gauntlet made short work of the lock.

"Can we use her codes?" Hafiz asked, to a shrug from Fran who reclined on a swivel chair.

"No idea, but it's worth a shot. Charlie concurs."

"Think she'll find the Penrose?" Wei Jie asked, rummaging through a filing cabinet while tossing detritus behind him. Hafiz narrowly dodged a pair of scissors, before answering, "Shouldn't matter. The radiation would surely cook her alive. We done here?"

Fran nodded as he disengaged the Splicer gauntlet, and Wei Jie gave an enthusiastic thumbs-up as he shut the filing cabinet. Hafiz readied the Wastelander and cocked his head towards the next room. "We've got work to do, Fireteam. Hup!"

The corridor where they'd encountered the STAR had many doors, but of the six, three of them had been jammed shut. The last door opened to reveal another long corridor, and Hafiz's eyes were immediately drawn to two bodies that lay in the chamber. Disconcertingly, the first figure looked like it had been flayed, and gore splattered the wall behind it while it bled onto the tiles. The other was just an inactive EULR.

"Fran, Wei, we've got two bodies – check them out, I'll maintain security," he called, warily staring at the other doors in the corridor.

"Dibs on the less disgusting one," Wei Jie laughed.

"Dibs – ah, damn it!" Fran groused, kneeling to summon Charlie as he opened his multitool. "I'll get you one of these days, Wei."

"Yeah, and on the day it happens, I'll–"

"Can it, Guardians. We're in a hostile area. Can't you tell with the freshly dead Replika?" Hafiz pointedly interrupted.

"Oh, stuff it Sue," Wei Jie snickered as he summoned Sparkle to conduct his own scans.

The Fireteam worked in companionable silence, interspersed with occasional reports from Fran and Wei Jie. Soon, Wei Jie was done; the relatively intact EULR cadaver was easier to check out, with fewer elements to inspect.

Then, without warning, Fran and Charlie both shouted in surprise as a burst of static screamed across the airwaves. Hafiz immediately turned towards Fran, Wastelander up as his eyes widened at the sight.

The flayed body crawled to its feet, kitchen knife clutched in its right hand in a death-grip. Entrails and viscera slowly sloughed off from an incision on its abdomen, its jaw hung on by a thread of gristle and blood freely poured from an open wound on its neck; yet it didn't seem to care. Fran sat on the floor, transfixed by the sight as he kept Arc Logic pointed at the thing. Wei Jie had Dire Promise trained on the carcass as he calmly uttered orders in Eusan for the thing to stand down.

It ignored both Wei Jie's calls and Fran's morbid curiosity, turning to stare at Hafiz through empty eye-sockets. Its head was cocked to the side, like one of Saint-14's confused pigeons – it was cute on the birds but nauseatingly repulsive on the thing, Hafiz idly considered as he kept Wastelander's sights on its cranium. It seemed to evaluate Hafiz for a moment more before the hideous offspring of a gurgle and a wail tore itself from its throat, and it lunged forward on stilt-like legs, knife raised. Without hesitation, Hafiz squeezed Wastelander's trigger, sending buckshot screaming forward; the pellets carved bloody tunnels in the thing's skull in an explosion of viscera, painting another wall with reddish gore. In one moment, the upper half of its skull had been vaporised.

Hafiz deftly worked Wastelander's lever, shotgun pointed squarely at the body. The gunshot echoed in the enclosed room as the thing stumbled for a moment before collapsing in a heap, extremities twitching. Fran watched, panting and slightly trembling.

"Traveler's balls, what was that?! Fran, I thought you said that it was dead!" Wei Jie shouted.

"I certainly thought so! No energy signatures. This Replika should have stayed down," Fran said, the Warlock's innate curiosity overriding his panic as he walked over to investigate. "Charlie, I need scans, double-time!" Fran exclaimed, extending a knife from his multitool with a flourish as he began to examine the body in earnest.

Hafiz kept quiet, gears turning in his mind as he considered the gore-soaked walls. "I think I know what happened here, and you guys may not like what I have to say." His serious tone immediately got the attention of both the Hunter and the Warlock.

Hafiz pointed to the red-painted wall. "Earlier today, Fran told us that Replikas have a minor capacity for self-repair, right? And the STAR told us that Sierpinksi-23 was as good as lost?"

He crossed his arms. "Looks like some sort of infection has hit the facility. It's clearly been affecting the Replikas here," he cocked his head towards the flayed thing. "It's driven them mad, and probably enhanced their self-repair modules too. It had already been shot dead when we got here; yet in the time since it was able to recover from that. This sort of performance is well out of the reported spec of a Replika's repair module. Sierpinski's commander must have ordered a lockdown to limit its spread."

"That sounds crazy, Sue," Wei Jie said grimly. "If there's an outbreak here, then…"

Hafiz shook his head. "It's just a working theory. Our Light should keep us safe, but if any one of you feels even slightly ill, sound off. I would like to avoid fighting a Guardian that's been affected by whatever this thing is," gesturing to the downed Replika.

"We should also start vaporising or disintegrating the dead Replikas we see. Prevent any more unwelcome surprises," Wei Jie suggested. The other Guardians concurred. Once he was finished with his examination, Fran vaporised the body with an Arc blast, leaving nothing but a stain on the tiling. The dead EULR was similarly disposed of by a yawning Void explosion courtesy of Wei Jie.

The Fireteam continued to explore, now much more careful; rooms checked for hostiles and items of interest, weapons drawn and a keen eye on the radar. Cadavers were scanned before they were summarily vaporised. The emptiness of the level, combined with the bodies painted a grim picture of what had befell Sierpinski-23. The dim lighting certainly didn't help.

Soon, they were through; the level was clear. With the boring part over, the Fireteam split up to explore and collect intel, not that there was much of note. This level was dedicated to 'Reeducation' as it was named, although it appeared that the facility staff and the Eusan Nation as a whole had taken extreme measures to purge every mention of the word. A security memo's declaration of 'a perfect world requires a perfect language' left Wei Jie scowling.

In another room, Fran-11 attempted to hijack the level's security system through a cleverly hidden computer terminal, only for it to throw a multitude of error messages at him before crashing. No amount of cajoling would fix it, so he shrugged and tasked Charlie with stealing as much data as he could before bricking it.

A stroke of good luck arose when Sidonia came across a depository of Level 1's and B1's CCTV footage, to which Hafiz gave an appreciative nod. He hoped that it would give them some answers regarding the state of Sierpinski-23, especially since Level 1's CCTV storage had been wiped. It would be tedious watching, but with the three Guardians, any secrets that the CCTV tapes were hiding would be quickly uncovered.

With the level fully explored, the Fireteam had turned to the numerous doors in the facility that had been jammed shut to find a path to the next level in lieu of the hole in one of the classrooms' floors. While the hole did lead to what appeared like the next floor, Fran still preferred a proper access point, to simplify evacuation if things ever got dicy. For their first attempt to unlock one such door, Fran manifested a Dawnblade in miniature and stabbed the knife into the lock of one of the locked doors, before a disconcerting sensation suddenly washed over the trio – the same one that the Fireteam felt while on the surface of Leng. Testing revealed that any attempt to force one of those jammed doors to unlock caused that skittering sensation to wash over the Guardians.
Stop that. I've tried to suppress them as much as I can.
"That feeling again," Wei Jie murmured, compulsively glancing over his shoulder as Fran once again stabbed the micro-Dawnblade into a door.
Those intruders onto my dream will be let loose if you carry on.
"...for some reason, it feels like I shouldn't force this door open. Like something terrible would happen if I pressed on," Fran nervously said.
I'm trying to keep you safe. Can't you see it?
"Then let's not. If a paracausal force tells you not to, it's probably for the best not to," Hafiz answered firmly. He looked at the two other Guardians, both dishevelled and worn-out; gore from the earlier thing had formed a crusted layer of filth on Fran's armour, and Wei Jie's usual joviality had vanished. The mission timer reported that they had been in B1 for numerous hours, and even Hafiz himself felt a keen strain behind his eyes. No amount of motivational speech would allow them to carry on, and Hafiz frankly wanted to get some sleep.

He sighed. "It looks like we're not getting any deeper today, Guardians. Not that I would expect us to, we're all dog-tired. We'll exfil to Level 1 to get some rest, then discuss our plans going forward. Are you guys okay with that?"

Both Wei Jie and Fran nodded wearily.

Once he was finished with his examination, Fran vaporised the body with an Arc blast, leaving nothing but a stain on the tiling. The dead EULR was similarly disposed of by a yawning Void explosion courtesy of Wei Jie.
The true OP power of guardians - no need to muck about with limited thermite/flares, just atomize them all :V
"Then let's not. If a paracausal force tells you not to, it's probably for the best not to," Hafiz answered firmly.
I like how this whole sequence serves multiple angles - from one perspective, no sequence breaking allowed, even for OP Guardians. From another perspective, it's the fireteam displaying savvy (or just caution?) that I might not expect from them.

Just got the game and what not, and I have to admit I am not very knowledgeable about Destiny in general, but I feel you captured the feel of the game very well! Welp, hopefully LSTR-512 will come back swinging.

Awesome work, can't wait for the next chapter!

I like how this whole sequence serves multiple angles - from one perspective, no sequence breaking allowed, even for OP Guardians. From another perspective, it's the fireteam displaying savvy (or just caution?) that I might not expect from them.
Thanks. I like when people catch the subtext.

5. "...like an onion."
After the Fireteam had had some rest from their last outing, they got together to properly organise the logistics of their mission. A quick discussion on the division of labour later, each member of the trio set off on their designated tasks.

To help them resupply, Fran chose a secure room to set up a Glimmer drill. When asked by Wei Jie as to exactly how the drill was to extract Glimmer from a place that clearly lacked any Glimmer, Fran scowled before launching into a tirade on the mechanics of Gilmmer extraction devices and how "drill" was a misnomer. Wei Jie quickly backed off from the increasingly agitated lecture after receiving a confirmation of the device's functionality. He couldn't resist a final parting shot as he left: "So you're telling me that this thing does dig out underground Glimmer caches?" Wei Jie cackled as Fran's shouting became louder in response. The Hunter dashed off, not wanting to deal with an angry Warlock with access to power tools and the disposition of a Titan.

With access to Glimmer, the Fireteam would have access to ammunition, replacement armour plating, and the means to produce rations. ("Tasteless, odourless and colourless," Wei Jie had remarked on a previous mission. "But it is filling. Better than starving over and over," he begrudgingly admitted.)

Though the Guardians didn't technically need to eat, they would still feel the sensation of hunger in the absence of food, and even starve to death given enough time (with the exception of Fran – an Exomind's sensation of hunger was purely simulated, but even Fran had come to fear the gnawing emptiness that heralded starvation). Light and resurrection wouldn't ameliorate the sensation of hunger, either. So the Guardians of Fireteam 'Past Our Expiration Dates' were glad to finally have access to a source of nutrition, bland as it was.

And nobody dared to try any more of the local fare after Wei Jie's food poisoning from consuming a salvaged MRE had incapacitated him. An exasperated Sparkle flushed the Hunter with healing Solar Light while berating the sheepish Wei Jie, "I told you that nothing good would come from eating that!"

Hafiz set off on a mission to reinforce their living areas against hostile intrusion. He felt right at home as a Titan, quietly humming to himself as he installed barricades and concertina wire in a corridor.

Staging areas for counterattacks and fall-back positions for retreats were set up, beacons were set up to counter any hostile ECM, and chokepoints were set up to funnel potential hostiles into overlapping fields of fire. Doors were set up to only open in response to any of the trio. The blast door that served as the level's entrance was reinforced.

And as a final measure, a transmat beacon; if any three of them were trapped, a quick command from their Ghost would pull them to saferooms. Hafiz dusted himself off, chuffed at his handiwork. He resolved to get Wei Jie to act as OPFOR to test Level One's defences.

Wei Jie left through the blast door and began to scout the snowy wastelands. A quick trip using his old radio beacons as a guide confirmed that the Penrose hadn't disappeared, and that its compartments were still locked in self-looping geometries.

"I knew I shouldn't have hoped that the situation would have resolved itself," Wei Jie groused, stepping out of the Penrose's compartments into the screaming snowstorm that seemed to persist regardless of time. "'There's always another storm,'" he remarked.

Sparkle, who was quick on the repartee, cheerfully fired back, "And you should listen to your own advice more often. What's that thing you like to quote? 'Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment?' Shouldn't have hoped, then!"

Wei Jie snickered. The banter helped alleviate the palpable boredom that threatened to burst from his skull and give him Final Death. He flushed his limbs with Solar Light as he initialised his helmet's mapping software. Now, about that STAR. The software overlaid lines simulating possible escape vectors of the STAR onto his HUD.

He didn't have much luck in that aspect. With the heavy snowfall, and the time since she'd departed, any tracks left behind by the escaping STAR were long gone, and a sweep of the immediate environs failed to turn up any leads. Hafiz confirmed to Wei Jie on radio not to bother further searching for the elusive Replika. Wei Jie shrugged before hanging up. It was time for his last job out here, and he couldn't wait to return to base.

"...and that should be the last one," Wei Jie said as he buried a final detector beacon. The beacon's status lights blinked a confirmation signal before dimming. Wei Jie nudged Sparkle, "Sparky, please bring up the area map, overlay beacon placement on it and show effective radii."

Sparkle buzzed in confirmation as Wei Jie evaluated his HUD. The detector beacons were simple devices that would alert him if they detected heat sources in their vicinity. Out here on the frigid, apparently wildlife-free hellhole that was Leng, that could only mean Guardian backup or local Eusan forces. Either way, it would be good to receive confirmation about unknowns moving outside of Sierpinski-23. Wei Jie nodded as he inspected the beacons' overlapping fields of detection before blinking in surprise. One of the beacons had already detected a heat source. It wasn't moving, but he couldn't help but feel hope well up in his chest.

"Sparkle, call Hafiz and appraise him of the situation. I'm going to investigate. Mark the approximate location of the heat source on my HUD." Sparkle sent an impression of a 'thumbs-up' at Wei Jie as a blinking red target square appeared on his visor.

Wei Jie pulled on the cloying touch of Void and vanished into the snowstorm. He skulked forward, careful to avoid making too much noise. Then, as he positioned his feet to avoid slipping–
These intrusions in my dream.
He stumbled, feeling a pulse of something wash over him. The force almost…tasted?...like blood to him. He felt his body shudder and tears well in his eyes as an indeterminate pain seemed to radiate at him for a mere moment. There was something paracausal here. Was this an enemy attack? Instincts forced him to the ground and he hissed, "Sparky, give me Royal Chase, pronto!"
They're getting stronger.
Sparkle promptly materialised Royal Chase from his 'backpack', urgently reporting, "I've already loaded it for you. The other members felt it too." Wei Jie received the rifle and sent a burst of warm appreciation over the link, then ordered a scan. Electronic eyes searched but found nothing. He compulsively ordered a second scan – still nothing.
They almost feel like these visitors. But different, somehow.
"Hafiz is calling in to ask if we need backup. Fran's already left the base."
I don't know how long I can restrain them.
Wei Jie allowed himself a chuckle. "That Warlock should've been a Titan. Tell Hafiz to sweep Level One. If we're facing something paracausal, it could have avoided Level One's surveillance. Vector Fran to me. I'll need the backup if the heat signature we found was hostile."
If you can hear me, visitor, you must destroy it.
"Got it. I'm coordinating with Charlie. His ETA is…one minute." The Ghost sent a pulse of reassuring warmth to Wei Jie.
Elster will handle the rest.
Wei Jie nodded, already ordering another scan. Again, no returns. The radar subunit on Royal Chase returned empty as well. Wei Jie kept his eyes peeled, intently watching the billowing snowstorm ahead as he forcefully ignored his lizard brain's gnawing insistence that he was being observed. Scopaesthesia, the Warlocks called it. Nothing more than the illusory sensation of being watched. The sensation had to be. Anything that could have spotted him would have had to pierce the Void film that concealed his presence – something very hard to do indeed.
She'll keep her promise.
Wei Jie kept his breath low as he peered through Royal Chase's scope. The target square of the heat signature continued to hang on his HUD. And before long, he heard the predictable thump of Fran's footsteps approach. Wei Jie dismissed the Void and rose from the ground. "Sparkle, radio Fran."

Fran looked at the now-standing Wei Jie and walked over. "Hey, Fran. Thanks for coming out here so quickly, especially after I riled you up earlier," Wei Jie said.

"It's not a big deal. I just need you to stand still for a moment," Fran replied cautiously, holding his hand up to halt Wei Jie's approach. Charlie materialised and scanned Wei Jie with a spray of Light, before inclining once and disappearing.

"So it's still you," Fran murmured.

"What, you thought that I'd been replaced? By what, exactly?" Wei Jie gestured to the barren environment.

"Just basic security. Any number of things could have happened out here. You never know with strange paracausal forces." Fran shouldered Arc Logic and cocked his head towards the heat signature. "I've got the item-of-interest locked on my HUD as well. Let's go before this situation gets any weirder."
These mindless things bite and gnash.
The two Guardians continued forward, Wei Jie watching their rear while Fran's unblinking Exo eyes kept a firm watch forwards. Their Ghosts talked in low tones, sharing data about their environment and acting as a third set of eyes. Though it was ostensibly just the two of them, the feeling of being watched persisted. Still they carried on.
It hurts, Elster.
Then, Charlie was the first to spot it.
They want to take it from me.
"Guardians, I see something–" the target marker re-adjusted, "–here. It's in the approximate area of the heat signature."
"Not a bad guess to say that it's our item of interest…and its sudden appearance suggests a connection to that paracausal force," Fran postulated, still peering through Arc Logic's holo-sights. He trained the rifle's muzzle onto the target marker as the duo continued. The item was soon visible – a monolith that protruded from the ground. Its black colour starkly contrasted against the white of the seemingly-endless snowstorm.
I have heard from their repulsive master.
Wei Jie and Fran strode forward, calling their Ghosts out. Both Ghosts gave the other a bob of understanding and zoomed forward to scan the monolith. Fran and Wei Jie took positions around the object, weapons at the ready.
IT wants my loyalty.
"Hafiz just reported in. Nothing new on Level One. He's preemptively sealed all the blast doors, just in case." Charlie reported.
ICH WERDE ES NICHT ZULASSEN.
"Good. We're almost done here," Sparkle answered. "And when we're done, we can scram. I don't like the feeling this thing gives me."

"Same here, buddy," Wei Jie mumbled. Was he imagining it, or was the monolith calling to him? He shook his head and cleared his mind. There would be time for wondering, later.

A minute later, both Ghosts had collected their data. Both Guardians immediately left for Sierpinski, neither one wanting to stay any longer in the vicinity of…whatever that thing was.

An exertion of Light later, both Guardians had escaped the cold and now sat in a commandeered meeting room with Hafiz. They listened intently as Charlie and Sparkle reported and compared their scans of the item. Hafiz observed quietly, Wei Jie restlessly bounced his knee and Fran-11 scribbled on a loose sheaf of paper he had stolen from the empty office cubicles of Level One. Not any one of them felt particularly reassured from the discussion.

For one thing, the phrase 'possible Pyramid technology' wasn't very comforting.

"...in any case, most of it is speculation. Scan interference was bad, so neither of us are 100% certain." Charlie replied to Hafiz.

Hafiz nodded. "But your personal judgement?"

"I'd bet my shell on it. Pyramid material to me. Been here a long time, too. No idea why it suddenly lit up." Charlie's shell spun twice as his electronic eye flickered between the trio present. Charlie turned to Sparkle, who bobbed in agreement.

"Did it activate in response to us being here?" Fran questioned. Sparkle bobbed in the equivalent of a shrug.

"As I said earlier: scan interference was bad. There's no way to definitively tell."

"This mission gets more complicated by the day," Wei Jie groaned. "A ship that leads to a different star system, an apparently hidden enclave of humans, weird paracausal forces and now, there's Pyramid tech here on Leng." He threw his hands up in frustration.

"How could it have gotten here?" Fran considered. Nobody had a good answer.
"...there could be a Pyramid Ship here, but that feels unlikely. Those things aren't exactly subtle – if there was one here, we would have already found it. Or it would have found us," Hafiz considered.

"No use worrying about that now. What matters is if it has anything to do with the paracausal emissions we've been feeling," Fran declared. "And if it would impact our mission."

"More than likely, yes. Pyramid devices amplify paracausal energy, particularly that of the Darkness," Hafiz said. "It could be the cause of – or a contributor towards – the warped geometry of Penrose-512, or whatever befell Sierpinski. I've watched the CCTV tapes when you guys were out, and I'm inclined to believe that whatever happened here was the work of the Witness."

"Oh! I remember. You got those tapes last mission, right? What did you see?" Wei Jie asked curiously.

"Simply put, a contagion of some kind began to spread through Sierpinski-23. Replikas mutated into the thing we saw in B1. Gestalts – that's Eusan newspeak for organic humans – simply seemed to die. People died," Hafiz grimly reported.

"That just seems like a stroke of bad luck to me," Wei Jie raised an eyebrow. "Don't get me wrong, that sounds like a tragedy, but that sort of thing isn't the Darkness' usual MO."

"Ah, but I had Sidonia run tests on the samples of Replika tissue we found. That, and the data we got from Charlie lead us to some surprising discoveries. Onscreen if you would, Sid."

Hafiz's Ghost, Sidonia, emerged from subspace and hovered to a blank wall. He projected an image of Replika tissue on the wall. Both Wei Jie and Fran watched intently.

Hafiz stood up and walked to the wall, tapping the diagram. "The Replikas are less human-like than we thought. They're composed entirely of artificial material – polymers and some interesting composites that match nothing in my records. No living cells in their tissues. Whatever affected them wasn't biological in nature, because there isn't any living tissue for something like an influenza virus to affect.

And another thing: nothing mundane could have explained how that corrupted EULR recovered from its first injury." A diagram of the corrupted EULR unit from B1 was projected onto the wall.

"When wounded and bleeding oxidant – their analogue for blood – their auto-repair systems quickly stem the flow of oxidant by releasing foam to block their wounds. Nothing here can explain how that corrupted EULR remained functional after the injuries that it had sustained, or how it could survive gunshot wounds. That's just not how Replika auto-repair works. It generated new tissue from old tissue, which should be impossible in a Replika."

Fran leaned forward, eyes narrowed. "...so in the corrupted EULR, and likely other corrupted Replikas, their bodies are somehow generating mass ex nihilo for repairs. That EULR had been shot dead before I came in. My preliminary scans clearly showed that critical components of its hardware had been wrecked. But it had somehow regenerated its neural functions."

"Good thinking," Wei Jie commented. "Is it possible you overlooked anything?" He asked Hafiz.

"I thought so as well. But the other dead, non-corrupted Replikas clearly were unable to repair themselves to this extent. It means that whatever has affected Sierpinski-23 isn't in the realm of an ordinary, mundane disease."

"Then the force behind the outbreak must be paracausal – and the only paracausal things in this star system before we arrived were that 'bioresonance' phenomenon that Eusan propaganda loves to harp on about, and that Pyramid material outside Sierpinski," Fran slowly said, eyes wide.

"A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma," Wei Jie hummed. "I can't help but feel like we've only just scratched the surface of what Sierpinski is hiding."

"I wish we took a Darkness expert with us to make sense of all this fluff. Hell, I'd even take the Drifter's help." Fran snarked.

"More reason to collect as much intel as we can get," Hafiz said. "Like it or not, we're alone out here."

Aaaaand the first taste of the bullshit that is Bioresonance is here. Poor Guardians, they really don't have any ideas of what the hell they are dealing with.

Honestly this read more like a Ghost Hunters Episode, what with Arianne talking with them through Invisitext. Too bad the Guardians didn't have an Ouija Board, might've actually been able to get some info on the hell is going on!

But yeah, awesome stuff right here, what can I say? Can barely wait for the next chapter to show up, wonder if our team of unlikely heroes will finally meet Elster.

Is there anyway to see the invisi-test more easily? I have a greasemonkey script thats meant to make it more noticible that isn't working, and then on top of that, highlighting it doesn't reveal it for me, I have to copy it into notepad to view it.

Is there anyway to see the invisi-test more easily? I have a greasemonkey script thats meant to make it more noticible that isn't working, and then on top of that, highlighting it doesn't reveal it for me, I have to copy it into notepad to view it.

There's a eye icon/button on the top right corner of every post that uses invisitext, right below the threadmark. Once pressed it shoud highlight all invisitext, if it doesn't work there's always the Xenforo invisitext script or the other options on that link.

This is your fic, so you're gonna write it how you like, but I do want to do a slight nitpick here:
"The Replikas are less human-like than we thought. They're composed entirely of artificial material – polymers and some interesting composites that match nothing in my records. No living cells in their tissues.
See, from what I can tell Replikas do actually have some amount of biological material in their construction.
It's why all the corrupted units are so fucked up looking, those biocomponents ended up mutating out of control and they went insane.
Granted, said biological material is absolutely poisonous if you ingest it, but it's still biological.
Now I do want to note, the ratio of meat to metal bits is a little unclear in regards to all of them.
My current theory in regards to whats meat and what's not is that they've got some amount of musculature that works in tandem with hydraulics (barring MHNR's, who seem to be more mechanical than the others), their brains seem to be squishy, I think they might have some muscles underneath their faceplates (which I'm unsure of in regards to whether or not that's also meat. I'm leaning towards "maybe"), mainly because of Adler.

6. KICK 'EM WHILE THEY'RE DOWN
No more chapters for a while. Mid-terms are coming up.

Hafiz crushed the screeching Replika's skull under an armoured boot, with perhaps a little more force than strictly necessary. Oxidant exploded outwards in a spray of viscera, and the Replika's mutilated body twitched once more before lying still. Behind him, Fran-11 and Wei Jie discharged their weapons with echoing retorts into shambling Replika corpses. Hafiz sighed, calling a burst of Solar Light to incinerate the body.

And to think that I had believed that I'd seen the worst the universe could throw at me – from Luna's Hive-filled labyrinths to Vex-infested Nessus – but even I can't wait until we are through with this level, the Titan couldn't help but think. The pungent miasma of rot and decay that permeated B2 left the trio all slightly nauseous; even through the filters on their helmets, some of the stench wafted through. That, the appalling cage-like implements used to confine Gestalt workers, and the scattered reports of Gestalts 'expiring during interrogations' left the Titan choleric and irritable, as evidenced by a nearby wall that was studded with the dead STAR's skull fragments.

Hafiz racked the Matador's pump with a CLACK, frowning as he inspected the weapon. Smacking the deranged Replika aside had coated its muzzle with gore, which irritated his sensibilities. He ignored the urge to start cleaning the shotgun – there would be time later, after they had found their way into the next level. And the sooner the better.

Behind him, Void growled as it sundered a Replika to feed its unending hunger. Environmental monitors picked up a corresponding jump in local exotic energies. Hafiz turned around to look at his teammates; Fran turned to give him a thumbs-up, and Wei Jie gave him a cheery wave. He noticed the worn-out baton that Wei Jie held in his left hand and the thrashing Replika under Fran's boot. Hafiz took a breath. Stillness. Now wasn't the time for anger.

"New loot?" he nodded at Wei Jie.

"Yep. I picked it off these dead STARs. Too bad they're single-use, and far too fragile for me to use as a club," Wei Jie sighed. "Ah well," he said, tossing the baton over his shoulder into a pile of refuse, "There'll always be the chance for more loot later."

Hafiz turned to Fran, who had deployed Charlie for a scan. "Are you ready to go, Fran?"

"Just about," Fran nodded absentmindedly. A few seconds later, Charlie bobbed at Fran before dematerialising. "Scans done. Hold on a moment." Fran conjured a coil of crackling Arc and forced it into the thrashing STAR, who screamed in agony for a brief moment before the lightning ripped its molecules apart in a flash of Light. "Threat neutralised. Let's go, Boss."

The Fireteam continued on, weapons drawn. Although they remained cautious, Sierpinski's inability to provide significant resistance against three Guardians had emboldened the trio. Even the presence of a new foe – corrupted STARs – and the increased number of enemies had failed to pose much of a threat. Light-enhanced bullets pierced flesh and armour like a hot knife through butter. A follow-up application of destructive Light made quick work of their remains. Not much survived paracausal forces stripping atoms from your molecules.

Still, Fran thought to himself as Charlie finished scanning another server, I can't help but feel like there's another shoe waiting to drop.

Fran shook his head. There was a time and place for ruminating – and it wasn't on the battlefield. For now, he had to stay focussed. He compulsively checked Arc Logic's magazine before recalling Charlie and hurrying to rejoin his Fireteam in the corridor. Hafiz acknowledged his presence with a nod, and brought up Sidonia to project an image of B2 onto a nearby wall.

The image depicted the various rooms and spaces of B2, labelled using Sierpinski's internal database. All the rooms had been labelled green, except for one that had been conspicuously labelled in red – 'Rationing Office.'

"With the exception of this room," Hafiz pointed to that small space, "B2 is clear. We've even found a possible means of egress to the next level. But this room is special, so as to speak. Sidonia, if you would."

Sidonia beeped once before an image – no, a video – was projected on the wall. A female figure with stick-like legs leaned against a table in a room, a shotgun idly resting on her shoulder. The video footage was blurry, but the figure bore a striking resemblance to the STCRs in the propaganda.

Wei Jie leaned forward. "There's a survivor?"

"Yes. This is live footage from the CCTV in that room. As far as I can tell, she's a STCR Replika that has avoided the contagion that has affected most other Replikas on B2. Storches are apparently combat Replika commanders; a living source of intel would be invaluable for our investigations. We need to secure her cooperation at all costs, by force or by dialogue."

Fran rubbed his chin. "…but with what we know about Storches, she's not going to be particularly receptive to what we say, us being obvious foreigners to Eusan. Damned things have a tendency for sadism and violence. Think she's going to fight us?"

"Possibly. The devil's in the details." Wei Jie muttered as he fiddled with a spare cartridge for his cannon. "We can't disguise ourselves as Gestalt or Replika staff; the Eusan Nation being what it is, every single Gestalt and Replika here is known by the Protektors. And even if we were Gestalts, we would be under quarantine orders. The Storch is just as likely to try to execute us on-sight."

"…and with the authority invested in a Storch, any attempt at subterfuge would come out sooner or later," Hafiz mused. "And we don't even know what non-Sierpinski staff is supposed to look like."

"More of that cursed information control," the Hunter interjected annoyedly.

"Practical things then," Fran said firmly. "Nothing for it but to go in and try diplomacy. And if she turns hostile, we'll use force." He looked at Hafiz. "ROE?"

Hafiz thought for a moment. "Try to subdue but use force if it becomes clear that your life – or your Ghost – is in danger." He turned to look at Wei Jie. "Flashbang her if she starts looking tetchy. I'll knock her out." Wei Jie grinned, opening a palm to theatrically materialise a flashbang.

"Show-off," snickered Fran. Wei Jie gave Fran a joking punch. Hafiz rolled his eyes in exasperated fondness.

A quick brainstorming session later, the Fireteam finalised their plans. They positioned themselves at the door; Hafiz rapped the door twice before barking in accented Eusan, "Permission to enter?"

"Permission not granted," came a disinterested drawl. "Return to your quarters and await further orders. There will be consequences for breaking quarantine." The voice levelled off with a dark hint of violence.

Hafiz sighed and gestured at Wei Jie with a chopping motion. Wei Jie stepped behind a rippling cloak of Void and disappeared from sight. Hafiz turned to Fran and mimed a countdown with his left hand. At 'one', he simultaneously activated the pneumatic door's controls and stepped into the room, Fran and the unseen Wei Jie hot on his heels.

The bored-looking Storch tensed at their entry, quickly grabbing the shotgun and levelling it at Hafiz, nostrils flared and jaw clenched. She racked the weapon with a threatening CLACK and growled, "Intruders. If you don't identify yourselves and surrender to the Nation for breaching Sierpinski-23, I'm killing you."

"Easy, miss…Storch?" Hafiz said placatingly, slowly placing the Matador on a table, hands up. "We just want to speak. We're explorers from outside your system. We crash landed on this planet and we're looking for help."

The Storch raised a single eyebrow. "...foreigners, then. That at least explains the getup. You're still breaking Eusan law by treading where you shouldn't." The Replika smiled grotesquely. I've seen less menacing grins on Hive Knights, Hafiz remarked to himself.

The Storch aimed the shotgun at Hafiz, then turned to Fran. "You there. The one in the dress. Don't think I haven't seen your gun. Drop it and get on your knees, or your friend gets it. You're all under my custody until I get orders to leave."

Hafiz sighed across the comms net. Why the Eusan Nation specifically selected for cruelty in their combat androids was beyond him. "Wei, execute," he whispered into the comms.

As Fran gingerly put Arc Logic down, the shadows in a corner of the room seemed to distort for a brief second; a round Arc grenade rolled towards the Storch with an almost imperceptible plink.

The Storch looked down at her feet, eyes widening for a brief instant before the flashbang detonated, washing the room with screaming white and electronic noise. Hafiz's helmet automatically compensated by polarising its lenses and muting the audio feed. The Storch stumbled back, screeching in pain and covering its eyes before blindly discharging the shotgun; the flechettes scored a groove into Hafiz's chestplate but went no further. In a blur, Fran had Militia's Birthright ready; the grenade launcher spat another blinding explosion at the Storch.

Wei Jie fluidly emerged from the Void, hand-cannon lightning-quick as he slammed two rounds into the Storch's knees in two thunderclaps, forcing the Replika to the ground in a burst of red oxidant. The Storch howled in pain, screaming incoherently as it racked the shotgun before blindly firing. No one was hit, but Hafiz decided that enough was enough. It was time to end this.

He dashed forward – materialising Wastelander into his hands – and rammed the shotgun's steel barrel into the Storch's hands with a sickening crunch. He dropped Wastelander on the floor and squeezed the Storch's fingers with a stomach-churning pop. The Storch dropped the weapon in an agonised howl.

Time for the knockout strike. My fist will suffice.

Hafiz cocked his arm back, then lashed forward in an instant. In the blink of an eye, his fist made contact the Replika's skull; he felt flesh rend and polymer bone warp under the force. The Replika spat once more before lying still, ichor pouring from her wounds. Hafiz materialised zip-ties from his 'backpack' and cuffed the unconscious Replika's arms and legs. Sidonia manifested and began his scans. It sent Hafiz a sense of acknowledgement before disappearing.

"Target down and unconscious. Fran, stabilise her."

Fran nodded and drew upon his Light. He pushed his hands downwards, conjuring a well of silvery, whooshing Light at his feet. He dragged the Replika into the rift, and called Charlie out. Charlie hovered around the injured Replika, taking scans and video recording as its wounds sealed and bones set.

"Charlie confirms our simulations. Replika biocomponents receive the same healing effect as a human would. Useful if we ever have to resuscitate a Replika."

Hafiz nodded. That could come in handy one day. "Fran, good initiative with the grenade launcher. Wei Jie, that was some mighty fine shooting. I'll need you guys to help secure the Storch to my back. You guys got all you wanted from B2?"

Fran gave him an a-ok gesture. Wei Jie held up a hand, "Hold up. I want to see this gun."

He took a knee to pick up the fallen shotgun. He examined the bloody weapon, racking its slide and catching the ejecting shell. He swung it around, feeling its weight as he took aim at an empty wall. He nodded in apparent satisfaction before dematerialising the weapon.

"Nice gun?"

"You bet," Fran said with a cheerful note. Though he was wearing his helmet, Hafiz and Fran knew that he was grinning ear-to-ear.

"If that's all, let's get this Storch secured and exfil. I'm sick and tired of this place."

WEAPONS ACQUISITIONS:

STICHVERLETZUNG
SHOTGUN
She got sick, and everyone else is getting sick, too.

Back