Kei's follow-up confirms a lot of my broad thinking on what probably is going on with Temeria's politics but I think it basically boils down to something like this (very oversimplified and lacking further context on Temerian politics):

Both the Blacks and Blues are fundamentally imperialists and want to take Caldrein (and others) under their control. I suspect the Blues may be more contented if that "merely" takes the form of a vassal state that is firmly in their orbit even if nominally independent than the Blacks who probably more stubborn on an actual reunification but their overall goal is similar. However, the Blacks take on it is more of a militaristic imperialism where they're throwing their military weight around to cow and out-right conquer the buffer states while the Blues are taking more of a diplomat approach of trying to foster economic ties and relations and get their prospects as tightly interwoven with Temeria's such that they either feel they may as well just join or are otherwise so dependent they can't do much else but protect Temeria's interests (because economically they've become their own as well.) The Blacks sneer on the Blues' approach as cowardly and "sneaky." The Blues sneer at the Blacks' approach as primitive and short-sighted.

It sounds like the Blues had been working a decades long game to capture Caldrein in such a manner when the hunting grounds disputes occurred. The Blacks controlled the government at that moment and chose to escalate it to a full-blown war. Why? Hard to say for sure, but I'd guess they saw it as a way to boost their standing within Temeria by achieving an "easy" military conquest of long-lost territory that was a sore spot for them nationally that or just nationalist/populist "return to the 'good old days'" stuff. The Blues are infuriated because an actual war blows up their long game on Caldrein and from their perspective will just siphon resources off from their other fronts when they felt they had this one in hand. And also because if the Blacks are successful it will disadvantage them politically of course.

Well, conquering Caldrein isn't so easy (whether this is more the Blacks overestimating their power or underestimating Caldrein) and the war drags out. Flash-forward to the Interlude where Eustachia - who is being portrayed, at least by the General - as the hidden power behind the Blues meets with her Caldrein counterpart and learns that Caldrein and Ornthalia have entered talks that would see an Ornthalian army enter Caldrein. We see as she immediately tries to construct a timeline and figure out where they are on it to determine when such an army could enter Caldrein and that essentially becomes her deadline to end the war because, in no particular order: this could mean the cold war may turn hot, that the meager gains they've gotten over a decade of war could be wiped out, and that Caldrein falls irreversibly into an Ornthalia vassal state.

Presumably she takes this info back to Temeria and it helps the Blues retake the government and presumably immediately enact steps to negotiate an end to the war with Caldrein before Ornthalia can step in and settle for only taking what the General took in Elspar. In the meantime, however, the General succeeds in taking Halissen which is where the conversation between the two above takes on a philosophical debate between the two factions

The General sees the victory at Halissen as, well, a victory because she views the campaign purely as a military campaign between Temeria and Caldrein. While the news of possible Ornthalian intervention takes her off guard, her response is along the lines of "Well, that just means we have to win this militarily before then and you should give me everything I ask for to make that possible." Josephine, however, is frustrated because she sees it more as winning the battle but losing the war. Her attacking the General over the refugee crisis the fall of Halissen caused isn't out of altruism to the refugees, but from the angle of "Well, now you've created a humanitarian crisis that could very well galvanize Ornthalian interventionists by giving them something big to point to as a reason to hurry forward with 'humanitarian aid'" as well as harden many Caldrein opinions on Temeria and make them more open to receiving said help - pushing them into that orbit. It may aid in their seeking to force Caldrein to accept an end of the war and loss of territory or it could accelerate those talks with Ornthalia and realize her worst fears.

Given how fraught Caldrein's political system is, Josephine and the Blues may even have a point here. It's entirely possible that Caldrein may have collapsed in on itself given a few more pushes, and if the Blues were successful in establishing tighter ties with the emerging Caldrein mercantile class may have been well positioned to take advantage. They may even have been using their own rise to prominence as a model for capturing Caldrein.

Last edited:
Due to the increasing importance of interludes to the actual main plot, all interludes have been moved from the "Sidestory" threadmark category to the "Threadmarks" threadmark category. I'd have put them in both, but it doesn't seem like that's possible, so.

Sofia has such a uniquely military personality. A thin layer of nationalist rhetoric on the one hand, on the other - a certain flavor of thuggish malevolence (which, naturally, is revealed to be cheap performance when faced with someone more powerful). The animating force beneath it all is, of course, a bone-deep conviction that the military as an institution is especially, even uniquely important in the functioning of society, and in fact stands apart from and above the civilian masses. Everyone who practices a trade believes this to some extent, but career military types take it to a whole new level, and, armed with such invincible logic, achieve record heights of self-importance. Paradoxically, none of this makes them any less self-interested in their jockeying for power within their institution's ranks.

The Caldran mercenaries have shades of this, too - but it's mostly kept in check by the fact that the nobility as an estate is mostly intact, and so not everyone attends the academies in order to become a full-time mercenary. Also, mercenaries are by their nature decentralized, which makes them less of a breeding ground for such tendencies. Regardless, I expect at least some of the academy instructors are like that.

Looking at the timeline, it also explains how the peace talks go through so quickly.
Remember:
The signing of the Treaty of Arnheim, accomplished in secret and without warning, formally ends hostilities between the Confederacy of Caldrein and the Tenereian Union, drawing the twelve-year-long Huntress' War to a close.
"In secret and without warning".

The Calderans want peace because they just took a devastating loss. We know Calderan leadership has mixed feelings on the possibility of Ornthalian intervention. And simply stopping the war is an excellent compromise between those who are worried about inviting a second foreign army into their lands and those who are worried about being conquered next. The nobility whose lands have been conquered don't really have any authority any longer and whoever remains is obviously outnumbered.

On the Tenereian side of things, the war has been dragging on, and the victory allows the leadership to end things on a high note, pivot to other fronts, and to avoid an escalation in the conflict they do not want.

It's interesting to me that it's specifically a peace treaty, and not a cease fire that could lead to a peace treaty.

Probably explained by the Calderan talent at asymmetric warfare and deniable operations, there's not that much security to your gains if you don't make a deal that is actually worth taking.

Looking at the timeline, it also explains how the peace talks go through so quickly.
Remember:

"In secret and without warning".

The Calderans want peace because they just took a devastating loss. We know Calderan leadership has mixed feelings on the possibility of Ornthalian intervention. And simply stopping the war is an excellent compromise between those who are worried about inviting a second foreign army into their lands and those who are worried about being conquered next. The nobility whose lands have been conquered don't really have any authority any longer and whoever remains is obviously outnumbered.

On the Tenereian side of things, the war has been dragging on, and the victory allows the leadership to end things on a high note, pivot to other fronts, and to avoid an escalation in the conflict they do not want.
Just one problem with that idea....

"Allow me to first congratulate you on your victory at Halissen," Josephine chimes as Sofia passive-aggressively plops herself down on a chair one seat away from Josephine, next to the chair the Speaker of the Conclave has gestured to, maintaining a disdainful distance from her. To her credit, Josephine does not seem offended at all as she adds, "It's good that you have something to show for your efforts after eight years."

The signing of the Treaty of Arnheim, accomplished in secret and without warning, formally ends hostilities between the Confederacy of Caldrein and the Tenereian Union, drawing the twelve-year-long Huntress' War to a close.

We got about 4 years until the peace treaty is signed, which is definately not that fast of a time.

I actually think the news reaches Faulkren in the middle of our graduation ceremony, so yeah, we should be a year and change away from the treaty.

Just one problem with that idea....

We got about 4 years until the peace treaty is signed, which is definately not that fast of a time.

I'm not sure if it's a typo or if I had other ideas at the time (this interlude has undergone five-and-a-half years of revisions since 2018, so a lot of background details I did not explicitly put to paper have slipped my mind), but what notes I do have imply that Sofia was not the first commander-in-chief of the Caldran theater (although she absolutely was part of the group that pushed for the war), and that she was only brought in in 1322, two years into the Huntress' War, where she almost immediately crushed the border fortresses of Ainellen and Cherlith after two years of cautious skirmishing on both sides. For now, I'm going with that assumption.

Long story short: Book One will end in mid-1332, roughly one and a half in-universe years from now, right before the Faulkren apprentices graduate.

Long story short: Book One will end in mid-1332, roughly one and a half in-universe years from now, right before the Faulkren apprentices graduate.

I keep getting thrown off by the caldran school year, it ends basically during actual summer, but I had assumed it ended a bit earlier.

I also find it completely believable that after two years of grind they replaced the theater commander.

What's more interesting is that Sophia went eight years as commander without being cycled out by someone who promised they'd do better.

Was sophia, as a duchess, actually an outsized figure for such a minor conflict that the notional reward of being in charge of that war wasn't anywhere near the cost of taking over (much like the entire tenny invasion) or did everyone else see that the invasion was a clusterfuck to stay far away from and wanted absolutely nothing to do with the war even if the big chair was empty?

Guess we might get some more breadcrumbs in year three.

I keep getting thrown off by the caldran school year, it ends basically during actual summer, but I had assumed it ended a bit earlier.

The Caldran school year ends as summer begins. It then begins as that summer ends. As previously mentioned, this allows the children of noble houses - educated at Caldran mercenary academies or elsewhere - to attend the political season, which takes place just before the aristocracy returns to their fiefdoms to manage the bulk of the year's harvest. This also means the children of peasants and farmers who do get the opportunity for a formal education miss out on being able to help with the harvest.

The Caldran school year ends as summer begins. It then begins as that summer ends. As previously mentioned, this allows the children of noble houses - educated at Caldran mercenary academies or elsewhere - to attend the political season, which takes place just before the aristocracy returns to their fiefdoms to manage the bulk of the year's harvest. This also means the children of peasants and farmers who do get the opportunity for a formal education miss out on being able to help with the harvest.
As a role distinction, that makes sense anyway as Caldran mercs are actually professional forces. Like yeah it's biased against commoners but it's only effectively only a few year early acceleration of them being gone at random times of the year anyway. Maybe some of them revert to being semi-pro if they have strong home community ties but that is probably a waste of their training and the expense of such, unless it had set them up for some kind of local position, elected or otherwise. (Path to some kind of village head or city guard captain as a profession change? Feels more like a retirement role after at least a few years out on campaign. This is leaving out the nobles who care slightly less about wasted expense and also have their own prestige positions back home.)

If anything, you hire Caldran mercs during the harvest season because you want them to go cause trouble while you (and the enemy) don't have access to your levies. So those squads out earning pay for that kind of job certainly aren't home helping with their own harvest.

2.20.1 Letters and Faiths (Part 1)
Sorry it's taken me around five months to produce this, but the follow-up will be coming soon.

[x] Sieglinde Corrina Ravenhill and Florence Regilaine

It has been months since the Caldran mercenary academies left Arnheim and entrusted its defense to the regular armies and the warbands stationed there. The whole episode - from Lindholm to Elspar, from the Inter-Academy Tournament to the exodus from Halissen - was the first time you've interacted with any other Caldran mercenary apprentices outside Faulkren Academy, and you've gotten to know people outside your usual social circles. Foremost among these new faces, of course, is Florence, the scion to House Regilaine and one of the most talented Caldran mercenary apprentices of this generation. She is eccentric and maybe a little bit difficult to deal with, but she was also consistently kind to you during one of your lower points in life, culminating in a nice day in town together during the tournament. It seems natural, then, to make good on a previous suggestion to write to her occasionally.

Of course, you've never actually written a letter before.

Well, no, that isn't entirely true. You've written to your family twice during your first year at Faulkren Academy, and you've written again shortly after returning from Arnheim to reassure them that you were fine and hale and hearty. That has never really developed into a habit, though; as a country girl who previously lived most of her life in small communities and had few contacts outside first Thionval and then Caelon, you've never actually felt the need to write letters outside specific circumstances. But either way, writing to your family doesn't really count. That's an entirely different matter compared to writing to someone who you knew for a few weeks, even if you got along well.

After sitting at your desk for half an hour - struggling fruitlessly to think of what to write as you stare intensely at the parchment, as if to will words into existence - you decide you probably require some assistance.

Stephanie is the obvious choice, but your roommate has had a lot to deal with since all of you have returned to Faulkren, dealing with the intersocial fallout of the disaster at Halissen. She's having to adjust to the difference in treatment she's receiving back home as part of the broader suspicion towards aseri disloyalty in Caldrein, and bugging her to help with something such as this seems rather inappropriate. Elizabeth, meanwhile, is obviously much better educated and far more well-read than you, but whereas you've never really had the opportunity to know anyone far away to write to, Elizabeth doesn't seem like the person to have anyone she'd actually want to write to. Plus you are almost certain that she will tease and laugh at you, and make you write a snarky letter that is totally tonally wrong, and maybe work salacious jokes that fly over your head onto the parchment.

So Sieglinde it is.

The raven-haired elf is thankfully alone in her room when you come knocking one afternoon, and readily invites you in when you ask for a moment of her time. "I want to write a letter," you explain after closing the door behind you, "but I-I've never really written one before. Not...something personal. I was w-wondering if you could help." You doubt Sieglinde - like Elizabeth - has the sort of social propensity for writing personal letters to others either, but at least she's not going to reduce you to an embarrassed mess in the process of helping you.

And although she seems mildly surprised that you've chosen her to ask for aid, Sieglinde is ever gracious as she simply nods and says, "Of course. Who is it to?"

"Florence."

Sieglinde schools her expression well, but you've been with her for long enough that you're pretty sure regret flickers across her face. She's polite enough to at least neutrally ask, "What do you want to write to her about?"

"I-I don't know. We said we would write, but...I have no idea what to write to her about."

Sieglinde shrugs. "I'm sure she'd be very happy if you wrote to her about swords." And then when she sees you pouting at her for offering such a blithe answer, she sighs and says, "You need not think too much about it. A summary of recent events of your life should be sufficient."

"There hasn't been much happening e-except for everyone turning on each other," you mutter unhappily.

Sieglinde shrugs again. "I don't suppose she's much interested in such a subject."

"I don't think she g-gets it," you say, trying not to sound judgmental. You feel that Florence is often disconcertingly detached from your own concerns about the fate of your country, but you also like Florence and don't want Sieglinde to have a difficult relationship with yet another one of your friends. Sieglinde can be a bit judgmental about certain sociopolitical views. "I don't think she ever r-really understood what it meant to be a Caldran mercenary or being caught in this war. I think she just did what was expected of her. And because she likes swords."

Surprisingly, Sieglinde simply evenly replies, "I see."

"I thought you'd be more...sharp with that." And when your squadmate gives you a mutedly confused look, you explain, "I thought you would disapprove of the reasons why she chose to b-become a Caldran mercenary."

Sieglinde seems to hesitate for a moment as she measures her words. "I won't say I'm fond of her reasons, but I...understand her difficulties." She pauses, then shakes her head. "No, that's not the right word. I don't understand her, but I know that she was born with flaws that she cannot help, just as I was. Both of us have very limited passions and a marked disinterest towards everything else. Just as I have tried and failed to be someone others would rather I be, it is not difficult to imagine that Regilaine has done the same. I do not share in her passions, but if being a Caldran mercenary brings her fulfillment, then it is not my place to judge her."

It occurs to you that - beyond Sieglinde looking like she has a headache every time she's within proximity to Florence - this is the closest your raven-haired elven squadmate has ever been to empathizing with Florence. So you excitedly start, "So you..."

"I still don't want to have to interact with her," Sieglinde says flatly.

You pout.

Dear Florence,

It has been some time since we were last together in Halissen. I hope you are doing well.

I'm sorry if this is a little awkward to read. I don't usually write to people and I'm not used to it. Sieglinde is helping me with this letter. I hope you do not mind if I share our letters with her.

I'm sorry if I seemed unfriendly or distracted when I was in Llyneyth. I had just been made squad leader, and I was struggling with that. Honestly, I'm still struggling. I don't think I'm a very good squad leader. But, strangely enough, I think both the Inter-Academy Tournament and what happened in Arnheim have smoothed over the worst of it. Now we just have new struggles.

We have made it safely back to Faulkren Academy, and classes have begun again. As you might imagine, we are all trying to study very hard after the fall of Halissen. As squad leader, I'm trying to study Strategy and Logistics, Tactics and Command, and Trade and Commerce. It's a lot for a village girl like me, but I'm trying.

It has been both easier and harder to concentrate after what happened at Halissen. The Tennies have reminded us why we need to fight, so we are all trying our hardest now. But my friends are becoming more and more divided along racial and class and religious lines. The mood has taken a turn for the worse. I don't get the worst of it because I'm a dryad and people don't really think we're part of Caldran society. But it's hard to watch friendships break under the situation. I am angry at what the Tennies have done to us even outside the battlefield.

"I would note that Tenereia only aggravated a problem Caldrein has already had and refused to deal with," Sieglinde opines.

"Not now," you mutter as you continue to scribble away.

I am trying to look after my squad at this time. Sieglinde and Elizabeth do not mind, but I worry about my remaining squadmate, SMysterious Mask.

Sieglinde sighs.

As an aseri freeholder, she is caught between the unhappy groups that are forming. She is also a Conceptualist like you, and this makes things difficult with Primordians. I have watched her lose many friends. I feel responsible, like I should do more for her as her friend and squad leader. But I have no idea how to help. I hope things are better for your squad and Llyneyth Academy. Maybe you can give me some ideas on how to make things better.

I'm sorry I only seem to have bad news to share. This is not how I wanted to write our first letter. I will try to share better things in my next letter. I hope that you are in good health and that everything is going well for you. I look forward to receiving your reply.

Sincerely,
Neianne

A month later on a weekend afternoon, a letter returns for you.

Dear Neianne,

Thank you for writing. I confess I was rather worried that you...

You can't help but notice that the words afterwards are suddenly penned with a slightly different stroke. As if the writer in question hesitated over how to write the rest of the sentence for a long time before continuing with a perceptible change in the pressure of the quill on the page.

...might have been too busy to write, but I was delighted to receive your letter all the same. I can assure you that you convey yourself well through words, and do not mind that you are sharing our letters with Sieglinde. And you need not worry about your behavior during your stay at Llyneyth. I was not at all offended by your friendliness, and was and am sympathetic to what I regard as our similar plights.

"Someone wrote this for her," Sieglinde opines as she glances over your shoulder, an easy feat to accomplish even when you aren't seated.

"S-Sorry?" you blink from the seat Sieglinde offered you in her dorm room. She was also courteous enough to invite you while Elizabeth is out and thus unable to tease you about the exchange of letters with Florence.

From behind you, Sieglinde's eyes continue to swiftly scan the contents of Florence's letter, tearing through it line by line. It's actually kind of scary how quickly she reads. "Another person assisted her with this letter," she says, using a different combination of words but functionally repeating herself.

"How can you tell?"

"It's too coherent."

"That's mean."

Sieglinde actually stops reading for a moment and gives you a look, one of her eyebrows rising by just a hair. "Does Regilaine sound like this when she talks to you?"

"M-Maybe Florence sounds different on paper than she does when actually talking," you try defending her, although strangely enough, what begins as a flailing rationalization sounds increasingly plausible as the words escape your mouth. "M-Maybe she gets to think about what she writes before she writes it."

Sieglinde's sigh of concession sounds deeply reluctant.

I also do not consider myself an ideal squad leader, and although I do the best I can, I cannot say I am particularly pleased or passionate about it. Like you, I am taking courses on Tactics and Command, and Strategy and Logistics, although I am also studying History and Lore, and Etiquette.

"My condolences to her Etiquette instructor."

"That's mean."

I was hoping to take courses in Alchemy and Botany, or Beastiary, but I was told by my instructors that it was not ideal for a squad leader to do so. History and Lore is at least fascinating enough, but I fear I do not have the mind necessary to calculate logistics or to excel at a social function.

You realize, then, that you are hardly the only Caldran mercenary apprentice who was pressured and nudged by your instructors towards outcomes they preferred. But the pressure on you had temporary effects; it was mostly a matter of participating in the Inter-Academy Tournament, a great headache at the time, but one that passed with fleeting consequences. But what of Florence, subject to decisions that are molding the rest of her life?

"She's like Lucille, i-isn't she?" you wonder aloud.

Sieglinde tilts her head slightly, asking, "How so?"

"They're both t-trapped by the expectations of their birth."

It isn't as if you expected much in the way of sympathy from Sieglinde, but you're almost taken aback by her somewhat blithe shrug as she answers, "They can always renounce their birthright."

The idea of abandoning one's family - never mind the special roles Lucille and Florence occupy in Caldran society - is almost horrifying for a common girl like you to contemplate. "Th-That sounds...a little m-much."

"I will not pretend that I am particularly fulfilled by my birthright, but I have committed to addressing the challenges that come with it. Like my decision to become a Caldran mercenary, being of House Ravenhill is a stepping stone to tackle greater problems. These are decisions I've made. If they feel trapped, they should make theirs."

It occurs to you that for all that Sieglinde seems indifferent and detached, for all that it seems she is content just to read, your elven squadmate may actually be the sort of person who feels restless when she's not trying to solve some kind of problem.

I'm very sorry to hear about Mysterious Mask. I had hoped that her valor would spare her from what has been happening. I don't think I have seen as much upset with regards to Conceptualism, but it is disheartening to learn that Mysterious Mask has experienced such. Unfortunately, I fear I have no advice to share, as I confess that not all is well in my squad either. My squadmates - Ralene, Amara, and Nayeli - have not been the same since Halissen, and don't get along like they used to. I also wish I could do something about it, but I think I would only make things worse.

You recall from the Inter-Academy Tournament that Ralene Zari Asthra is an elven highborn, and Amara Yavenner and Nayeli Aleah are aseri and human freeholders respectively.

I have never truly made important decisions for my squad aside from leading them in combat exercises. I leave much of it to Ralene and Amara, the former of whom provides advice for the squad and the latter of whom provides advice for me personally. This seems to have been a well-balanced arrangement between the two of them in the past, but it feels like the balance has been thrown off as of late. Nayeli spends less time with us too. I've tried to talk to her more, and she's very polite about it, but it feels like she's uncomfortable around me and keeps excusing herself. I've asked her roommate, Amara, to help look after her, but I'm not sure how much that's helping.

As you can see, I do not have many glad tidings to share either, so please do not hesitate to write about what fouls your mood. We seem to live in difficult times, after all. I, too, eagerly await your reply, in hopes that perhaps matters in our lives will turn for the better when you receive this letter.

Sincerely,
Florence

This social scene isn't over.

I can't imagine that Elizabeth would tease Neianne about trying to figure out what to write to the woman she kissed at the end of her date.

That doesn't sound like Elizabeth at all!

I'm liking the way that we get the byplay between the two locals interwoven as commentary to the letters. It lets Sieglinde snark and I like snark on her.

Neat.

If I recall, there was an Aseri manning the welcome table with Florance when Nieanne got to the tournament. Amara, who is noted to be Aseri and help Florance with her social, is probably the friend who was tapped to help with the letter writing.

While it's easy to be cynical like Sieglinde about how much of the letter is Florance, I imagine with how she focuses on tasks (or doesn't) that much of the letter writing was Florance talking about what she wants to put in the letter or thinking about what Nieanne said, and Amara translating it into letter form.

Sorta like taking minutes in a meeting! Honestly, we haven't quite seen the Senior/Junior dynamic presented in quest, where a character attaches themselves to another as support/helper, perhaps with an eye to continuing that dynamic professionally after graduation, but it must be happening. Even with characters like Lucille, it's not quite what they have going on.

Elizabeth would probably make a snarky comment about followers fading into the background, but the individualist bent of the supporting cast is interesting to think about.

It's interesting that Ralene Zari Asthra is noted to be a highborn, which is socially a step above Florance's notable-but-not-highborn position. Since Florance is clearly, obviously, not good squad leader material, I wonder what Ralene's issue is that she got passed over in favor of Florance.

Although it's true that Squad Leader correlates with being expected you'll be a decent squad leader, Nieanne's position proves it's not an ironclad rule.

Florence and Neianne bonding over both being squad leaders that feel unequipped for their roles is not what I expected, but in hindsight it makes a lot of sense. I wonder if Florence is actually having someone help write her letters, and if so who it is - her squadmates seem to be the ones that usually do such things, but they're having issues.

Meanwhile, Sieglinde seems to be acting... less restrained than usual. Probably the stress getting to her. She's seeing the problems she wants to fix in her country get worse for reasons that seem obviously stupid to her, that would put anyone on edge.

While it's easy to be cynical like Sieglinde about how much of the letter is Florance, I imagine with how she focuses on tasks (or doesn't) that much of the letter writing was Florance talking about what she wants to put in the letter or thinking about what Nieanne said, and Amara translating it into letter form.
My thought at how the handwriting changed slightly at:

Thank you for writing. I confess I was rather worried that you...

...might have been too busy to write
Was, and at risk of projecting myself onto Florence too much, that her immediate no filter instinct was to conclude that sentence "didn't want to write to me" and either, as Neianne suggested, the medium of writing gave her the time to rephrase that to be less awkward or, as Sieglinde suggested, she had a friend assisting who stepped in and was like "please don't write that florence" and workshopped the eventual rest of the sentence (and other parts of the letter) with her.

I think the parallel that both have friends (and possibly squadmates) helping them with this is nice though so I'm kind of rooting for that but I could see it being either.

It isn't as if you expected much in the way of sympathy from Sieglinde, but you're almost taken aback by her somewhat blithe shrug as she answers, "They can always renounce their birthright."

The idea of abandoning one's family - never mind the special roles Lucille and Florence occupy in Caldran society - is almost horrifying for a common girl like you to contemplate. "Th-That sounds...a little m-much."

"I will not pretend that I am particularly fulfilled by my birthright, but I have committed to addressing the challenges that come with it. Like my decision to become a Caldran mercenary, being of House Ravenhill is a stepping stone to tackle greater problems. These are decisions I've made. If they feel trapped, they should make theirs."

It occurs to you that for all that Sieglinde seems indifferent and detached, for all that it seems she is content just to read, your elven squadmate may actually be the sort of person who feels restless when she's not trying to solve some kind of problem.
It should be said that Sieglinde is absolutely based for having reached this state. Noble (and royal) positions come with obligation, it's how the system keeps itself together. If you're not willing to do the necessary work that justifies the highborn position (education for leading, arranged marriages, the usual tropes, etc), then you arguably really should surrender your position, stop freeloading off the benefit of all your past generations, and make your own way with the commoners.

It's just unfortunate for those who can't because they're the only children and there's no cousins or whatever to take over the position of heir. And, well, of course all the other problems in settings that aren't like this for certain people who even would want to try and make their own way.

It's always a treat to see Neianne my gay sword wielding daughter. I remmber first subscribing to On the road to Elspar back in college and Now I am working/seeking for a better job, She feels like a breath of fresh air whenever I see her art!

It's always a treat to see Neianne my gay sword wielding daughter. I remmber first subscribing to On the road to Elspar back in college and Now I am working/seeking for a better job, She feels like a breath of fresh air whenever I see her art!
Same with me, though I'll admit I've been mostly lurking in the shadows when it comes to this quest. I still remember when people first came up with the plan against the Drake, and the situation that followed.

Back