[X] You're making it your business.
- [X] Caution is for the weak.

...and the sane. Who are also weak.

No update tonight, as you might have guessed; I've just finished homework, need to sleep because there are 2 (possibly 3?) exams tomorrow (Actually later today) that I need to take

I'll write up a bonus update this weekend, some setting background from the perspective of one of the starting characters not taken, as an apology. Choose;
[] Noble
[] Forest

Results:

[0] Whatever it is, it's none of your business. Leave, and go to-
-[0] The Cafeteria. You're starting to get hungry.
-[0] The Combat Halls. You want to see a fight!
-[0] The Professors Offices. Is anyone there?

[5] You're making it your business.
- [1] But you should be cautious.
- [3] Well, somewhat cautious.
- [1] Caution is for the weak.

[2] Noble
[3] Forest

I'll start writing after I make myself breakfast.

Uh, supper.

I mean.

Food.

[0] Whatever it is, it's none of your business. Leave, and go to-
-[0] The Cafeteria. You're starting to get hungry.
-[0] The Combat Halls. You want to see a fight!
-[0] The Professors Offices. Is anyone there?

[5] You're making it your business.
- [1] But you should be cautious.
- [3] Well, somewhat cautious.
- [1] Caution is for the weak.

"Let's go see," You say after a few moments. "But I wouldn't want to interrupt."

As you get closer, you begin to be able to make out what is being said. There are at least two people, and they sound angry.

"That's not what we agreed-"

"Listen. Listen, okay? Things change. I can't do this."

You and Val follow the sound, and eventually reach the lecture hall that the voices are coming from. You peek in, and see four people at the front of the room- Three of them sitting, the fourth standing in front of them. The crystals light is dim, however, and you can't make out any details.

One of the sitters shakes his head. "You're part of this, just like the rest of us. You can't just walk away and leave us all to hang."

Are they talking about some kind of project? You know several of the professors personally, and most by sight, but you're a bit iffy on how a lot of them actually teach.

"I know, I know, but I can't do this either," The man standing up says. "What else could I do? I brought you here because you're my friends. I thought you would understand."

One of the sitting figures stands up and walks over to him, clasping him on the shoulder. "It's alright. We do understand." He pulls the man into a hug, and you see the man stiffen for a moment before he relaxes. "Shh, shh... Everything will be better now."

After a moment, the man releases his embrace. The one who had been standing first collapsed slowly to his knees, as if he was a puppet with his strings cut, with his hands clenched tightly to his chest. You think you hear him crying softly- Slow, wet gasps for air behind harsh sobs. You're not sure why. Was simply being understood that really that much of a relief-?

Val grabs you by the shoulder and hisses in your ear. "We need to leave now, before they notice us." There's something strange and hard in her expression, and it scares you a little.

[] But you still don't know what's going on-
[] Wait, why do you need to leave?
[] Go with her.

AN: Bonus interlude coming up, but feel free to vote and discuss anyway.

[X] Go with her.

Shit. That man was just stabbed to death, pretty sure. Teacher murder conspiracy, that went dark fast.

Interlude: Forest
The rabbit was caught in the snare, but it hadn't died immediately. You watch, eyes wide, as its legs kick at the ground beneath it, unable to quite reach, unable to loose the noose around its neck. Slowly, the kicking stops.

Your grandfathers' hand is on your shoulder. "You see how it works? When the rabbit jumps, it gets caught around the head and neck, but is not able to pass fully through- And so the trap tightens, and the rabbits neck is broken, or sometimes it chokes to death."

You nod, and your grandfather smiles. "Good. And now it is high time you learn how to prepare a rabbit. I will not be around to look after you forever, little Valerie."

The wind is cold, and the axe in your hand feels heavy. Your grandfather stands behind you. He is warm, and his hands around yours ease the weight a little bit.

"The weight is heavier when you hold the axe away from you... See? So, hold the axe close to yourself as you raise it up, and then swing it out as you drop it. This way it is lighter when you need it to be, and heavier when you need it to be." The log in front of you holds a deep notch, the result of several earlier gashes. "And now we strike again, and the wood splits." The two halves fall to the side and the axe buries itself slightly in the chopping block.

"Why do I need to cut wood, Grandpa?" You ask. "You always have plenty chopped."

Your grandfather chuckles. "Ah, I have more than enough for the two of us- And once, I could chop enough for the whole village." He looks off into the distance, and the wind picks up flurries of snow from the ground and drives them past you. You shiver. "When men grow old, their strength leaves them, and the things which once were easy become hard. You can't rely on me forever, little Valerie, so I am teaching you how to rely on yourself."

The village has only about 100 people in it, and it feels like every single one of them is out in the street to greet you and wish you well as you trudge back home from the apothecary. The salve for your grandfather's knees, a mix of pork fat, sweet-smelling herbs, and bitter-smelling chemicals sits in your pocket, feeling heavier and colder than you know it really is.

You pull your grandfather's hooded coat around you as a particularly sharp wind cuts the air. Dark clouds hang on the horizon, signalling the coming storm, and you feel a pang of gratitude to the old man for forcing you to take the item.

When you reach the house, you stop. The fence has been knocked over, a patch of inky black fur caught in the splintered wood.

You look up.

The door is splintered open.

Your feet move before your mind can think, and in moments you have stepped into your grandfathers' house.

The fireplace has guttered out, and the lamps have frosted over.

A chill hangs in the air, colder than the coldest winter storm you've felt.

Something shifts in the shadows.

There's blood on the floor.

The axe rests by the doorframe. You pick it up.

There is pain and darkness and ice.

You swing.

You swing again.

You swing again.

You swing until long after the darkness has receded and the air has grown warm again.

You swing until your body shudders with pain every time.

You swing until you can no longer lift the axe.

There's something wet and hot on your face. Is it blood, or tears? You don't know. You can't tell.

Darkness returns.

[X] But you still don't know what's going on-

Teacher murder conspiracy, that went dark fast.
Teacher murder? Why do you assume that?

I mean, it likely involves causing death - or deaths - given what we have heard, I am just not sure why you thought it would be teachers on the receiving end.

Teacher murder? Why do you assume that?

I mean, it likely involves causing death - or deaths - given what we have heard, I am just not sure why you thought it would be teachers on the receiving end.
By that I meant 'teacher conspiracy willing to murder- it's own, even'. Note that the described action is, like, exactly what happens in Assassin's Creed when Altair makes a stealth kill.

...I do not think these guys are teachers. Lecture halls, even empty ones, sound like a strange place to plot for those who have access to the entirety of the facility.

It is not easy to conceal a teacher going missing either.

I guess we'll know soon enough, once the identity of the killed person is revealed.

Last edited:
...I do not think these guys are teachers either. Lecture halls, even empty ones, sound like a strange place to plot for those who have access to the entirety of the facility.

It is not easy to conceal a teacher going missing either.

I guess we'll know soon enough, once the identity of the killed person is revealed.

Are they talking about some kind of project? You know several of the professors personally, and most by sight, but you're a bit iffy on how a lot of them actually teach.

I may be mistaken, but it seems to me that our character has interpreted them as teachers.

Back