Voting is open
I considered about asking it all in one go, but blacksheep would have to balance things too. If we probe too deep Jackson might realise it's a dream and wake up cutting the dream investigation short. So it might be better to ask about things one at a time.

We could of course ask him once he wakes up again, but we can only directly see things through this method.

Maybe we could also start with the london adventure first?

Edit: I also strongly recommend against explanations. Jackson just removed sections of the landscape so he might not be bothered by dream magic displays as his dream logic self.

It's not a interrogation, but rather us just going along with things bringing the places as prompts.

In my experience with lucid dreams its so easy to snap awake when you realise you're dreaming.

Last edited:
I considered about asking it all in one go, but blacksheep would have to balance things too. If we probe too deep Jackson might realise it's a dream and wake up cutting the dream investigation short. So it might be better to ask about things one at a time.

We could of course ask him once he wakes up again, but we can only directly see things through this method.

Maybe we could also start with the london adventure first?
Fair. I'll edit that part. to:
-[] Ask him to show you the story of what happened in his investigations so far, perhaps starting with the Street of Jackals?

On the other hand it does seem Jackson is quite clear headed in his dream. So offering explanations might not be a bad thing. I'm fine with both acting along or offering explanations.

Vote closed New
Scheduled vote count started by Blacksheep on Apr 17, 2024 at 10:57 PM, finished with 11 posts and 5 votes.

• [X] Dreaming of an Eccentric Friend
    [X] Dreaming of Egypt
    -[X] Approach Jackson and ask if all this was from his travels.
    -[X] Take care not to agitate him or clue him in that he was dreaming lest he wakes up. Use the magic of colours to help both of you relax, grounding yourselves more firmly to the dream.
    -[X] Ask him to show you around the Street of Jackals, bringing it up as if you were there with him.
    [X] Dreaming of the Yacht
    -[X] Approach Jackson and ask if all this was from his travels.
    -[X] Take care not to agitate him or clue him in that he was dreaming lest he wakes up. Use the magic of colours to help both of you relax, grounding yourselves more firmly to the dream.
    -[X] Bring up the Yacht asking him if managed to get the photo right.
    [X] Dreaming of an Eccentric Friend
    -[X] Approach Jackson and ask if all this was from his travels. Explain that seeing him unconscious prompted you to create a way to contact him in his dreams.
    -[X] Take care not to agitate him lest he wakes up. Use the magic of colours to add fluidity and lucidity to the dream so Jackson can show you what he wants.
    -[X] Ask him to show you the story of what happened in his investigations so far, perhaps starting with the Street of Jackals?

Dreaming Answers New
"Is this from your travels?" you asked Jackson curiously.

He laughed. "Well, I am traveling, and it's here, so of course."

Right, he was dreaming. You knew what to do though. You reached out to the colors of the world around you and drew them out. It came with the same ease as it had when you first met Phileas. You smiled as you began to paint yourself and Jackson. Jackson seemed deeply intrigued and happy to be a canvas for you. The world shifted around you to a cool stone room prepared for an artist. It was pleasant to relax in, the stone softer than it would be in the waking world.

"I learned recently how to walk dreams. I thought I'd reach out to you this way."

Jackson blinked as his own awareness increased. He frowned slightly. "So this is a dream?"

"In a way." You shrugged. You didn't know how to explain how things here were still real. "Could you tell me about the Street of Jackals?"

Jackson shook his head unhappily. "They didn't have what I wanted. Not one piece. No. That didn't happen. I didn't go? I meant to. But I was being followed." Distant shadows began to form as Jackson spoke. "I had confirmed that there was danger. A group of rich mad men wishing to summon something, and sacrificing humans to it."

[ ]Write-in

[X] Call Phileas
-[X] Through your bond, subtly directing him towards the bridge. To find you here.
-[X] Introduce him to Jackson to take his mind off the shadows.

[X] Show you the Yacht
-[X] He'd just taken this photo, you want to see how it compares to the real thing.
-[X] Why are we taking the photo of the Yacht again?

[X] Lets have a drink
-[X] You're in a mood for gambling.
-[X] This is your first time in Shanghai, how is this bar you see right there?

We could still press on and ask about Faraz Najjar - but I prefer to do it when Jackson is awake. We can use the dream for instance to find the full name of the Yacht. Or head directly into the bar. Use our experience to make meaning of things Jackson saw but might not have understood the occult implications.

Last edited:
[X] Call Phileas
-[X] Through your bond, subtly directing him towards the bridge. To find you here.

[X] Show you the Yacht
-[X] He'd just taken this photo, you want to see how it compares to the real thing.

Vote closed New
Scheduled vote count started by Blacksheep on Apr 18, 2024 at 9:48 PM, finished with 2 posts and 2 votes.

• [X] Call Phileas
    [X] Show you the Yacht
    [X] Lets have a drink
    -[X] You're in a mood for gambling.
    -[X] This is your first time in Shanghai, how is this bar you see right there?

Jackson Dream Labyrinth New
Mentally you called to Phileas. The winged serpent responded. You didn't know when he would arrive, but you knew he was coming. In the meantime you pulled out the photo of the yacht. You showed it to Jackson. "Can you tell me why you decided to take a picture of this yacht? I would have thought some of the other boats would be more interesting."

Jackson looked at it. Things moved around them, changing to a small hotel room. He glanced out the window. There were still shadows out there, but for now they didn't seem to know where you were hidden within the room. He turned back. "Yachts are great for the rich to hide secrets on. They can't be touched on international waters. They used the Dark Mistress as their base for that. There's things hidden there. The entire place is soaked in blood and despair."

Jackson gestured for you to follow him as he went through a door. You followed after and found you had followed him into a labyrinth. He made his way forward swiftly and confidently, shadows still trailing behind. "They have too many allies, we can't do this alone," Jackson told you. "We have to tell him." He pointed forward to what looked like yourself. You blinked and felt yourself shift in the dream, vanishing from Jackson's place to where he had dreamed you. Jackson came forward and looked at you expectantly.

[ ]Write-in

[X] Light in the Dark
-[X] Draw out the colours of courage in the palm of your hand, the flame that pushes back against the shadows of fears. The drive that keeps you going, the colours of hope. The burning human tenacity against the insurmountable odds of the occult.
-[X] Tell Jackson to not be afraid. Imbuing him with this flame and promise.

Last edited:
We kinda can ask him about that when we wake up. The dream provides an opportunity to interact with Jackson's psyche.

And perhaps uncover things his mundane self can't? Simply offering help is a strong statement in itself though.

Last edited:
Vote closed New
Scheduled vote count started by Blacksheep on Apr 23, 2024 at 9:44 PM, finished with 7 posts and 5 votes.

• [X] Plain and simple
    -[X] "I am here to help. Tell me what needs to be done."
    [X] Light in the Dark
    -[X] Draw out the colours of courage in the palm of your hand, the flame that pushes back against the shadows of fears. The drive that keeps you going, the colours of hope. The burning human tenacity against the insurmountable odds of the occult.
    -[X] Tell Jackson to not be afraid. Imbuing him with this flame and promise.
    [X] Light in the Dark

Hmm.. I guess in terms of dream psychology we should work on bolstering Jackson's confidence. Assurance, a promise to seal things into place. Something that would give him catharsis.

We still haven't found out about the bar and the business card. But that might not be as important as what we could do here.. What direction would you guys like to take things?

I really liked the detail about Jackson not being surprised to see Phileas.

Last edited:
[X] Crossing the Bridge
-[X] Introduce Phileas and Jackson. Friend, mentally send Phileas your feelings about Jackson. The comrade and confidante, the first friend that you truly shared your appreciation of art - and their stories. Ask him to remember him, and the dream path so you two might be able to visit, despite the gulf of physical distance.
-[X] "You are not alone. You have my word that I will do everything in my power to stop them." Share with him the colours of your conviction. Your vow before Isis to be the flame in the dark. Show him that he doesn't have to be afraid, and he can light the way in the dark.
-[X] After the introduction to Phileas and the pledge, take Jackson's dream self and follow back Phileas through the dreams back to the Red Realm through the Bridge. It's time for him to understand the occult so he may take up arms against the many headed beast.

The dream bridge was a big investment on our part.. might as well see if we can use it like this? I'm separating the idea from the first vote, and deferring to the thread's take.

I'm hopeful that this way, Jackson in his waking self can stay in touch with his mundane self - and in his dreams pursue occult dream magic - a layer of separation. Oliver could use all the help he gets in the new arc, Emily isn't always comfortable to step outside. It could be the most meaningful outcome we can get from the dream arc.

Plus Emily kinda hit it off with Jackson earlier. If he can visit her in his dreams it would help ground her more to her humanity. Jackson is interesting as hell and I want to continue to see more of him in this quest than just the correspondence in letters.

Edit: Decided to combine the votes after all.

Last edited:
Hmm, maybe we could try painting some magic protections directly in his mind/dreamscape? We only have a few hours to work, but maybe we could do something with his help and corporation? Instead of a full effect, a little seed/spark which he can nurture and develop on the coming days/weeks/months/years? (And perhaps in his future dreams?)

We can't always be hovering over his shoulder after all. He needs to be able to survive when we leave.

Not that we won't help him in other ways. But giving our friend the tools to protect himself would be a big gesture too. And if it works it could even be a stepping stone to learning magic. Like safety railings to prevent beginners from hurting themselves. Imagine we start a cult/school for magic using a similar method?

[X] Plan: A Gift of Protection
-[X] Promise you will help him in the waking world, but here and now perhaps you could help him build some protections.
-[X] If Jackson accepts, work with him to build structures into his dreams which will protect him from magic or other threats.
-[X] Focus on laying the foundations, planting a seed for him to him to nurture. You don't need to do everything, just enough that Jackson can continue on his own.
-[X] There is only so much that can be done in a single night. But perhaps the timeless nature of dreams can make sure that is long enough. Just make sure not to oversleep, someone coming across your sleeping form might raise inconvenient questions.
-[X] Take the utmost care to make sure it won't hurt or warp your friend. It should be fully in his control, and have guardrails to protect from dangerous mistakes.

I imagine it a little like cultivation even. (Both in the literal and supernatural sense) We help him start a dream-garden in his mind which over time can be filled with dream-plants with different magical effects. Say one to sense danger. One to deflect magic. One to ensure good healing. One run away quickly. Etc. Though it could end up differently depending on what works for Jackson. This is his mind so whatever metaphor works best for him.

Voting is open
Back