Necroing a 0-day old Thread?

Pronouns
They/Them
When I was posting a reply in a thread I'd posted in literally this very day, I had to check a box that was like, 'This thread is 0 days old, are you sure you want to post?'

Which is, you know, sorta not how it's supposed to go.

The old-thread warning add-on was replaced with an in-house written one which did some more things. On uninstalling the old one it was a bit wonky while the templates sorted themselves out.

:edit: if you want to test the too-short reply warning; it is enabled on this thread.

Last edited:
Huh. Why the minimum word count now, instead of a necro warning?

What? Now, that's sorta weird, honestly.

Edit: The message above is too short.

Actually, I'm going to say there's a problem: voting in Quests. A vote is often short, but also pertinent and adds something to the thread.

That being, you know, votes.

It's the first I've heard of it, but I imagine it isn't very big.

Hmm, ironically, the sentence I typed was not actually big enough to get over the minimum word counter.

I uh, may change my opinion on that.

The staff can apply custom word limits. And I'm reasonably sure this isn't going to be rolled out for the entire forum. It's something the staff can choose to apply to a thread if the thread's being too spammy or something along those lines.

... At least I'm pretty sure that's how that's supposed to work. @Staff, someone correct me as necessary. :p

Minimum word counts are a function of the delightfully named 'post friction' feature which Xon is developing. It's a bundle of relatively granular thread tools available for moderators to set things like word limits, wait times between posts, etc. It's all pretty customisable so it's conceivably pretty useful to a lot of forums, particularly those that are looking for solutions to difficult posting problems.

There's no minimum word limit for the whole forum, but from time to time it might be useful to implement minimum word counts on specific threads in certain circumstances. But while I think it will be useful for SV, I mostly just want to sell it :V

Still, it's really wierd that the OP got a necro warning for the word count. Was it just the system having a glitchy adjustment?

It was a glitch.

The old add-on had been uninstalled but the template which showed the necro warning triggered because the data it was expecting wasn't there. There was about a 5-10 minute window before the affected template was recompiled and it fixed itself.

Honestly, I would not say that raw votes actually add much to the thread. A vote without justification doesn't actually help anyone - it's a thoughtless "Me too".

I'd completely disagree. Your perspective is skewed.

"Honestly, a dollar doesn't add much to anything," says the millionaire.

When you have a low volume of votes at all, a vote is valuable because it means that people are reading and responding, and that you can get towards having enough votes to actually writing an update. Not a problem you've ever really faced, at least as long as any of your Quests have lasted.

Which is, well, not long at all. ;)

Edit: Plus, there's the fact that people are often busy. Actually engaging in a Quest in the sense of 'reading, voting, and, I dunno, having long conversations about it' is often beyond people, while 'I'll read, I'll think about my vote and then vote' is something far more people actually have the time for. Life's busy, and I don't blame people at all and think doing so is, again, a skewed perspective.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I've really every seen a vote so short it would trip a character limit? Usually he form at is [x] [some pretty specific stuff]. Even when that gets shortened to [X] [Name], it's rare to be that short.

I'm not sure I've really every seen a vote so short it would trip a character limit? Usually he form at is [x] [some pretty specific stuff]. Even when that gets shortened to [X] [Name], it's rare to be that short.
I've had a Quest where at a crucial moments the options offered where "[ ]No.", "[ ]No." and "[ ]No."

Much to the annoyance of all my players :V

What is the minimum word count set to, anyway? I don't see it when I'm typing anything.
Ah. I it triggers only after somebody attempts to post, unlike the Necro warning, which is visible before starting to type.

Back