Monster Marriage Quest

Their society is absolutely not 'clearly already at war with us', as most of our prisoners are confused as to why they would even want to be at war, and even more for being surprised to even find gendarme forces attacking them.

Ada, literal burner worm worshipper infected with said worm, was also confused as to why anybody would do anything about the darklands besides pity the unfortunates trapped there.

nooo?

She only hoped someday the rest of the world was protected from the Dark Dominators' nightly predations. The stories her grandfather used to tell of people being stolen away in the night still sent shivers down her spine, wondering what awful things the Dark Dominators did in secret to their victims, unable to stop her imagination from conjuring ever worse scenarios. That so many villages still had to fear the night was truly a depressing thought, and every year since her own blessing Ada had volunteered to help take the latest batch of Brandstifters to be given to the pious. Alteisen in particular was still haunted by the sinister Nebelqualle ambushing hunters and woodcutters and anyone else that dared enter its murky woods. Ada missed her cousin, who had been lost to these Dominator depredations. Why couldn't these damned monsters leave Commoners alone?...

Ada clapped once, put the incense back where it belonged, and began prepping for today's walk, thoughts taking a sour turn as she was reminded that the crusaders had recently returned from their posting in Dominator territory, driven off before they could assault the dark castle. The Freelanders just West remained servants to the Dominators, a terrible fate, and there were rumors going about that the Dominators would surely redouble their own efforts to corrupt Commoner territory. Ada wasn't too concerned for herself, or her family, or her friends, as Neustadt de Glaubens was well-protected, but what of the smaller towns? Nirgensdorf was first on the easiest road, and even Dominators preferred roads...

'oh man those dominators are totally at war with us and gosh it's a shame our attacks everyone knows we're launching failed'. says ada. in the interlude. inside her head where there's no possibility of performance.

And as you speak, tension drains from Ada's figure and when you finish speaking she actually smiles (albeit a bit weakly) before saying, "You have misheard, Dame Sabrina. Um, firstly, they are not... 'burner worms'." Ada says the term with an amusingly large amount of distaste. "They are correctly known as Brandstifters. And the gift of Brandstifters-" Eugh. Gift. Ewww. "-is not for all. Though of course all Commoners aspire to be worthy!" Here Ada flaps her hands in a defensive manner, as if expecting you to object for some reason. You're not sure why. "But as yet there are not enough for everybody, and only some are holy enough to accept the gift without first sanctifying themselves." Here Ada looks very sad as she gazes distantly at an imaginary point somewhere above and behind you, while you try not to let on that you kind of want to vomit all over her. "Someday the gift will be free for all, but that day is far off, especially with Teufel's servants fighting to ensure that day never comes."

Teufel's servants- y'know, us, supposedly, fighting them.

ou're not really surprised when Petra sneers out, "Dominated." Nor when she draws her sword, shouts, "Kill the filth!" and charges you. (Though Ada looks pretty alarmed, and Teo looks completely lost) The other five soldiers take a moment to properly cotton on, but dutifully draw their swords and come at you.

Everyone understands that of course they would immediately attack a 'Dominated', pretty clearly.

To your surprise, the four soldiers who weren't crushed are standing with their backs to one another, surrounded by Boulders in a standoff. (The crushed soldier is dead, not only crushed but with a hole through his neck that clearly bled profusely) When one of them spots you, he shouts, "We surrender! If you please!"

Huh?

"You can do that?" you say with some surprise.

Another soldier mutters something that sounds a lot like 'no, we can't' but is promptly kicked by the soldier beside him. The fourth soldier, the one facing directly away from you, shouts, "I'll not die to satisfy the Heiligwachtmeister's glory-seeking!"

They literally don't think they're allowed to surrender to us- y'know, the kind of rule you need for enemies.

Ada and the soldiers all clearly believe they're are war with us. Like. it's not been ambigious.

and I didn't get the impression this was a private search for a partner on the side of Caras as well.

I keep meaning to actually slip this into the Quest proper, but the idea was always this was a thing which was posted on the notice boards in all the villages in Caras' territory, which people then somehow conveyed back to him (I never decided on an exact explanation for this part; probably just people writing on the notice and a Gatekeeper taking this back to the castle) if anybody in a given village was willing (Sabrina was it for Abbandonne, for reference), and then Caras sent the carriage to whichever village he picked for his own reasons. (This remains deliberately obscured from the audience, as Sabrina as yet doesn't know)

If I'd started the Quest with intent to lead into the character Sabrina has become (or if I were to rewrite the Quest into a book or something), I'd have had this whole thing right at the start, and it's been bothering me this whole time I never spotted a natural opportunity for it to be spelled out. So here we are.

I keep meaning to actually slip this into the Quest proper, but the idea was always this was a thing which was posted on the notice boards in all the villages in Caras' territory, which people then somehow conveyed back to him (I never decided on an exact explanation for this part; probably just people writing on the notice and a Gatekeeper taking this back to the castle) if anybody in a given village was willing (Sabrina was it for Abbandonne, for reference), and then Caras sent the carriage to whichever village he picked for his own reasons. (This remains deliberately obscured from the audience, as Sabrina as yet doesn't know)
This is actually really funny to me, because I remember Caras' reaction to other potential spouses after marrying Sabrina. I'm imagining that if multiple people showed up to become his bride, he expected them to fight it out highlander style.

[X]Have decided you want to try to focus on dealing with the clergy and similar, minimizing harm to those apparently less in the know. You'll still attack Neustadt de Glaubens, but... more targetedly.

Well, that's what I get for relying on my memory I suppose.

I'll try to be wrong less often in the future, and thanks for the patience.

I keep meaning to actually slip this into the Quest proper, but the idea was always this was a thing which was posted on the notice boards in all the villages in Caras' territory, which people then somehow conveyed back to him (I never decided on an exact explanation for this part; probably just people writing on the notice and a Gatekeeper taking this back to the castle) if anybody in a given village was willing (Sabrina was it for Abbandonne, for reference), and then Caras sent the carriage to whichever village he picked for his own reasons. (This remains deliberately obscured from the audience, as Sabrina as yet doesn't know
That's hilarious, and hopefully for Caras, Virmire will figure out that it would likely be for the best to convey that information to Sabrina delicately; if ever.

How This All Began
Sometime before Sabrina came to the castle...

As is your habit, today you start your day of running family errands by going slightly out of your way to look at Abandonne's public notice board. You did so just yesterday of course, so likely a couple papers will have been removed, and one or two put up, and they are likely to be individually unexciting, but you like to check these early and often; sometimes someone wants something done where you can easily make a small adjustment to your itinerary to get it done with minimal hassle, earning your family some pocket money for almost no effort. And it barely costs you anything when you have to walk within a street of it most days anyway.

Yep, the notice for help getting Old Man Pierre's roof into working order is down, no surprise, probably Alaire (ugh) took it on yesterday, he's always enthusiastic about jobs that require more patience and muscle than anything else... the mother of five you still haven't caught the name of is asking for someone to help with her kids in two days time so she can get some rest... wait.

Oh! Another proclamation from the Baron, how rare!

As is his usual manner, the paper is darker than that produced by your fellow peasantry, and is finer and flatter, which surely must make it easier to write upon. The script on it is also impressively regular as always; no one you know can so consistently replicate the letters so exactly, so many times. The lack of artistic flourishes is something you've always wondered about; those who write a lot tend to take some pride in it, at least in your experience, and at least do the usual things like beginning pages with a complicated and impressive-looking variation on the first letter.

The paper itself read as follows:

To all in the territory of the Baron of Soul-Consuming Carapace Shadows,

Let it be known that the Baron is seeking an eligible bride, to better consolidate his holdings. The bride must be in good physical condition, physically mature but early in their years, and not have prior commitments that might interfere with their new duties. The family that provides an appropriate bride will be compensated financially for this offering within one month, assuming the bride does not prove unsuitable within that period.

If a family is interested, they need simply write down the name of the intended bride and that of the family the bride comes from on the bottom of this paper. In two weeks time, a carriage will be sent to retrieve prospective brides; please make sure the brides are available on that day by no later than noon. Being later than that will be taken as having decided against sending the prospective bride.

In other news, let it be known that the inner reaches of the Green Blight are not to be entered without good cause, until such time as a proclamation to the contrary is issued.

In the Baron's usual manner, it ends abruptly right there; no name signed, no well wishes. It's one of those things many in the village take to mean the Baron doesn't care about his people, but while you personally like niceties, you don't really think those who don't employ them should merit such judgment. It just seems mean-spirited to you to take an absence of overt niceness as a sign of secret meanness.

You notice with a little surprise that no girls have written their name down yet, though several have clearly been to the notice board today. You can see that Delphine has added a comment since yesterday, for example, oh and there's Isabel's handwriting, and Ludivine, and... oh my, a dozen others you can name off the top of your head! You find yourself frowning, imagining how the Baron might feel if he put himself out like this and over a dozen girls all turned their noses up at him. How cruel!

After a bit of thinking, it occurs to you that you fit the description quite well; your birthday was a few months ago, where you are firmly an adult in everyone's eyes, but still quite early in your years. You do have a prior commitment to your family, of course, but currently the most important thing you do is bring in a bit of money from errands to make up for Papa's difficulties, which this marriage would secure rather more money than a peasant's payment for a minor errand. At least, you'd expect so. So really, in context, you don't have problematic prior commitments. And of course your health has been better than average your whole life, so there's no issue there.

As such, you grab a quill from the board's base and put your own name down in your slightly-flowery script: Sabrina Vieuxpont, of the Vieuxpont family.

Then you resume your day of errands.

--------------------------------------------------------

You get home early in the afternoon, early enough Maman isn't even really done with dinner, your purse a bit heavier than this morning, though lighter than you'd prefer. (Maeva stiffed you, paying only half what she posted on the board, and Zacharie swore up and down he'll be able to pay you next week, which you doubt given his tendency to gamble away any money he comes into; you don't know why you give Zacharie second and third and fourth chances every few months, given he's paid you only twice in six years)

As such, you sit at the table (Maman is in one of her moods, where helping with food is received not with gratitude for lightening her load but with suspicious stares like she thinks you just want to sneak a taste ahead of time. Which you did one time, but you were six!), twiddle your thumbs for about five seconds while Sophie and Simone talk about poor Maurille (Ostensibly Sophie's current boyfriend, but the twins have been terrorizing him, among other things swapping with each other and then pretending upset when he doesn't notice... or not swapping and pretending to be each other and once again pretending upset when he doesn't realize) and the many ways in which he is boring and undesirable and they hope the next boy is More Of A Man, and really not wanting to listen to this for the next fifteen minutes you cast about for some other topic, but today was pretty unexciting-

Oh! The notice!

"Did you hear about the Baron's latest proclamation?" you ask; Maman and Papa probably haven't been far from the house today, but Sophie and Simone were around town, and sometimes Maman's friends drop in. (Or more rarely Papa's friends, all two of them)

Probably-Sophie says, "We have plenty of deadwood, Sabrina, and none of us would go hunting soon anyway, it's not relevant to us."

Oh, right, there was the bit about the Green Blight. "No, I meant the other part. The thing about the Baron wanting to marry."

Maybe-Simone heaves a put-upon sigh. "You too, Sabrina? I have heard far too much today about this topic, it bores me to tears, and all anyone has to say is the same things about how they'll not be sending their daughters to be poked at by a Gendarme."

You're taken aback a bit; you hadn't heard that. "No one said anything like that to me."

Sophie scowls in that indescribably Sophie way that Simone has never managed to imitate properly. "You know how everyone thinks of us two, Sabrina."

Simone scowls in that slightly-cuter way that Sophie can imitate when she puts her mind to it. "Blah blah blah, 'if it has a pulse', etc. All because we dated Delphine. It didn't even last a week!"

Sophie rolls her eyes. "So of course they want to make sure we understand they or their daughters or sisters or whatever are wholesome girls who would never consider marrying a Gendarme, the clear implication being 'unlike you twins'. "

You find yourself squeaking out, "I put down my name."

There's silence, accompanied by Maman looking over her shoulder at you with surprise, Papa glancing your way briefly before resuming his current whittling project, and Sophie and Simone just... staring. You shrink down into your chair, and compress further when you imagine what might have been said to you if you'd ever mentioned writing your name down to anyone as you ran your errands. (Was this why Loïc stared at you so long and hard? Here you'd thought maybe he was infatuated!)

Finally, Maman is pulled back to the pot by its boiling demanding her attention, which breaks the spell of silence. "Sabrina," says Sophie. "You realize the Baron is not like a prince from the old fairy tales, yes?"

Simone continues smoothly, "He is not a handsome, dashing Freelander who will sweep you off your feet with his rogueish charms and cutting wit."

Sophie adds, "Nor is he a wounded soul your love will redeem and so forever earn his gratitude," with rather too much emphasis on 'gratitude' for your tastes.

You make a face at Sophie and Simone once again giving you Too Much Info about what they find attractive. "I never liked those fairy tales. I've said as much many a time."

Sophie and Simone exchange a glance, make a series of quick hand gestures, having a private conversation right in front of you with their weird twin-language, and then they turn to you and Simone says, "That's really not the point Sabrina, and you know it." You grimace, because okay yes you were kind of deliberately misconstruing the point, but you're embarrassed, okay! You had no idea the entire village would be so judgmental when you wrote your name, and now you feel stupid, like you should've known!

Sophie continues with, "What were you thinking, Sabrina?"

You sink into your chair; you remember just fine what you were thinking, but the thought of trying to explain it to your younger sisters, to your parents -to the village, really, because gossip always finds a way- leaves you feeling tiny and stupid, like you're once again the four-year-old Sabrina who thought she was helping Maman by loading more firewood under the pot when Maman was distracted by Papa having a coughing fit and actually this burnt the food and everybody ate poorly that night.

Maman saves you in her silent way, though, swooping in with food and laying it all out on the table; Maman doesn't like chatter over dinner, so out of long habit Sophie and Simone shut up as everyone eats in silence. A usually-comfortable silence, but you can't help but notice Sophie and Simone giving you weird looks regularly, and you once catch even Maman giving you an odd look you don't know how to read. (At least Papa doesn't seem to care...)

While you're eating, you think about things, and eventually decide...

[]Sophie and Simone are right, this is a foolish idea. You should find a nice human boy to marry and live happily with. There's plenty of eligible bachelors in Abandonne, after all...
-[]You've resisted the idea for years, but perhaps Maman and Papa are correct and Alaire will do right by you after all. You can at least give him a chance...
-[]Alban was a good friend when you were children, and the problem was precisely that once puberty hit he couldn't see you as just a friend. It would be nice to mend that relationship.
-[]Lazare is already set to inherit the smithing job, and though a bit gruff he's yet to do you any particular wrong. He should be a safe choice, at least.
-[]No, really, there's a lot of eligible bachelors in Abandonne. You'll investigate yet more options!

[]On second thought, you should travel the world, see what there is to see. Your family doesn't have that strong a need of you, and it would get you away from this extremely embarrassing situation. You can find love somewhere out there, away from prying eyes.

[]Maybe you should experiment. You don't see why Sophie and Simone are so insistent that 'broadening your horizons' by dating a girl is a good idea, and truth be told the idea of kissing a girl has the same appeal as kissing an apple (ie yes, you could do so, but why would you?), but Sophie and Simone are... trying to look out for you, and sometimes you can displace bad gossip by producing new, related, but less bad gossip.

[X]You don't care what other people think. You have your reasons, and really, it's your life; you don't have to justify yourself to anyone, not even your family, if you want to do this. You're sticking out this 'Baron's bride' business, and if anyone has mean things to say about you, well... well... Fie to them! So there!

[]Write-in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Though your resolution is set and firm, and you tell yourself you don't care about other people's opinions, it turns out that saying such doesn't really make it true. You don't get exactly the treatment Sophie and Simone apparently got, in that people largely don't say anything to your face, but you hear people speaking in low tones a lot, and while that's normal for people to do when having a private conversation in a public space, you can't help but imagine they're all saying things about you in particular now...

... not helped by the fact that the bits you do catch in any real detail usually are about you...

... and so the result is that the coming days leave you in a state of perpetual anxiety.

The first two days are especially bad, as Sophie and Simone keep asking for an explanation and you just don't want to give one at all anymore, not after all this, and the low tones start getting louder. The third day is a bit better, or, well, it actually starts worse, as people feel comfortable making pointed remarks at a normal conversational volume, and this time Sophie and Simone are accompanying you on your errands for whatever inscrutable twin reason they have, their shadows in your wake leaving you perpetually anxious that they'll ask yet again in their tone of honest bafflement by your decision...

... and then Alaire spots you while he's helping lay bricks for a secondary building for one of the butchers, drops what he's doing, and comes running up to you to say, "Sabrina why- why this, instead of me?" You shrink down a bit, unsure how to answer. You've always found Alaire too pushy, never been entirely comfortable with how he set his sights on you when you were fourteen winters old and he was thirteen and has never deviated from that focus on you even once, and quite frankly never found him attractive at all even as you sometimes overheard other girls gush about how ~wonderful~ he looked when he was working up a sweat and took his shirt off to cool himself, but everyone else insists he's a nice boy who would certainly make a good husband for 'a lucky girl', and you never know how to get across what exactly about his behavior bothers you. You've pointed out how long he's stayed focused on you, and other people act like you should be grateful that his eyes certainly won't stray, and... it's all upsetting.

And here he is abandoning his current duty to bother you again, when you're already anxious, and Sophie and Simone are looming behind you, surely judging you again, and Alaire doesn't care at all about how miserable you are, he just cares about his own hurt feelings. Which is just normal for him, really, but nobody else sees the harm in it?

After you're silent and still for a few too many seconds, face pointed down so you don't have to meet his eyes, Alaire's face goes a bit stormy, and he reaches for one arm, starting to say, "You owe me an explanation-"

Which is when Sophie and Simone step up from behind you, probably-Simone (She's usually the more physically aggressive one) grabbing Alaire's bare arm at the wrist with her fingerpoints landing right on the underside of the wrist (You wince in sympathy as you see the skin sink and hear Alaire gasp in pain), while probably-Sophie says, "Oh, I'm sorry, Alaire, but you see we're really in a hurry today, much to do, people to see, and Sabrina just doesn't have time for you."

You stare, confused, as Alaire tries to jerk his arm out of Simone's grip, and Simone very loudly adds, "Please do focus on your own business," with a nod toward the forgotten bricks behind Alaire. (Alaire's gaze is involuntarily drawn briefly that way, and apparently something about the state of the bricks upsets him, as he winces in response... or maybe Simone increased the pressure on his wrist, you can't be sure)

Then Sophie takes you by the arm, and walks you off toward your current errand's destination, also too-loudly saying, "Sabrina has only so much time left before her very important meeting, and far too many things to be done before that very important meeting."

In turning and having your gaze drawn up from the ground, you finally notice that there's a small crowd watching, people stopped where they are to flagrantly stare, and your face burns as you realize people were probably paying attention from the very start. Behind you, Alaire makes an aggrieved noise, while Simone says, "So please don't bother-" Alaire makes another unhappy noise. "-our dear sister. She may have only so much time left to spend with her family."

Then Simone catches up.

After a dozen paces or so, you quietly say, "Thanks."

Probably-Sophie says airily, "We didn't do anything for you."

Probably-Simone adds, "It was for the family," in a firm tone.

In sync, they both say, "So don't mention it again."

So you don't.

But you do smile the rest of the walk.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, that didn't really stop the whole mess, but Sophie and Simone stopped bothering you about your decision at home, which helped a lot, and they kept making excuses to accompany you on your errands. Alaire clearly still wanted to confront you, but with the twins shadowing you, he was clearly not comfortable with risking a repeat of that encounter (Alaire was one of those boys who firmly believed girls lose to boys in a fight, and more specifically tried very hard to ignore any evidence suggesting this was not completely true; more than the pain or humiliation, you suspected he just didn't want to deal with more cracks being added to his view of how the world works), so you didn't have to deal with that. It also helped that the twins were now the target of much of the unpleasant remarks, reducing how often you overheard people saying things about you.

Said remarks of course rolled right off the twins, like water off a duck's back; they had been hellions pretty much as soon as they could walk, and just being twins had drawn a certain amount of odd comments, and you were honestly unsure if they were ever truly bothered by such remarks. That is, they had either grown thick skins so quickly you never noticed them being sensitive to such, or... had just never cared about the opinions of others. At least, not when they considered those opinions 'stupid', 'ignorant', 'absurd', or otherwise undeserving of respect.

(Which was how they characterized a lot of opinions about them)

So you didn't even feel guilty that they were drawing heat for you.

... well. You felt less guilty than you might have, anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One week later, the proclamation vanished from the board, as far as you knew having never had a name added to it other than your own. You were a little concerned, honestly; had the Baron quietly selected a bride from another village, and simply not bothered to inform Abandonne that you were no longer needed?

(Mostly you were concerned because that was the common assumption. You just started out assuming it was pulled down because it had gone so long without names being added, and your name was on the proclamation, so of course it would need to be taken away to collect the name, yes? But then everyone started saying you'd been rejected without even being seen...)

But one week after that, a carriage showed up exactly when it was said it would, pulled by a horse-like creature you'd never seen before, itself being urged on by one of the Baron's creatures you had seen on a few occasions: the four-armed, many-eyed cockroach-man. (Though this was the first time you'd seen one wearing a straw hat)

The village hadn't been sure how to respond to this. A few people tried to ask the cockroach-man for an explanation, but it ignored them, head flitting about as if searching for something, intermittently tilting down toward a little paper in one hand. With some hesitation, you'd stepped forward, past the invisible line nobody else was willing to cross that would bring them in arm's reach of the carriage et al, and said, "I believe you're here to retrieve a bride?"

The cockroach-man had ignored you as well, initially, but then it seemed to notice you, hopped down from its spot atop the carriage, and passed the paper to you. Upon it was written:

This carriage is for one Sabrina, of the Vieuxpont family, in the village of Abandonne. Do not attempt to board it if you are not this person.

So yes, it was indeed for you.

The cockroach-man kept glancing about the crowd, as if unsure who it was here for.

So.

Last chance to back out.

[]Upon further thought, to be away from your family, possibly forever? A crushing thought. You're not leaving, you'll slip into the crowd, and you'll... figure out some way to avoid the Alaire situation.

[X]... no. Of course you're not backing out. You don't even want to be in Abandonne anymore; to stay would just be to hurt. You'll board this carriage and go face the Baron and... hope no better brides push you aside.

[]You- you can't do this, but you can't stay, either. You'll slip into the crowd, go home to pack your things, and sneak out of town. You'll travel the world, that's what you'll do.

[]Write-in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The carriage ride was silent and awkward, and left you with a lot of time to think to yourself, as the driver never spoke to you. You're not sure they're able.

Initially, you thought mostly about Abandonne; about your family, left behind after a quick set of hugs (And tears, in Maman's case, but she didn't try to dissuade you), about Alaire, and how you were hopefully done with him for good, but you also found yourself reminiscing about the town itself, strangely nostalgic for things like the town well, as if you'd been gone for years and not hours.

Over time, your thoughts drifted to the upcoming meeting. The whole territory had been called, surely you would have competition. Anxiety set in anew; you were nobody notable, not even by Abandonne's standards. You weren't the mayor's daughter, for example. Surely the other would-be brides would be better-suited; how could you catch the Baron's eye? It was likely an impossible task, and you felt stupid all over again for putting your name down.

And then...

Last edited:
Also, closing the vote.

I'm not getting to the update today after writing that longer-than-intended... thing, but at this point it looks like the Questor opinions are pretty locked in:

Sabrina is approaching coming events with an eye toward targeting the priests and other insiders, rather than simply attacking the city as a whole.

Update incoming, please stand by.

(Feel free to post to comment on the new Threadmark, if you like, though)
Scheduled vote count started by Ghoul King on Aug 13, 2024 at 4:42 PM, finished with 27 posts and 9 votes.

• [X]Have decided you want to try to focus on dealing with the clergy and similar, minimizing harm to those apparently less in the know. You'll still attack Neustadt de Glaubens, but... more targetedly.
    [X]Don't want to attack the city at all -not with warriors, that is. You'll attack with words. If these soldiers could be made to see the horrors right under their nose, surely other citizens of the city will be receptive to the same message?
    -[x] Everybody comes with you. Leave no trace of having taken Ada alive, to whatever extent feasible.
    [x]Would rather back off entirely and figure out plans back home.
    -[x] Everybody comes with you. Leave no trace of having taken Ada alive, to whatever extent feasible. This situation needs more than a few minutes of questioning the prisoners, before determining a plan.
    [X]You don't care what other people think. You have your reasons, and really, it's your life; you don't have to justify yourself to anyone, not even your family, if you want to do this. You're sticking out this 'Baron's bride' business, and if anyone has mean things to say about you, well... well... Fie to them! So there!
    [X]... no. Of course you're not backing out. You don't even want to be in Abandonne anymore; to stay would just be to hurt. You'll board this carriage and go face the Baron and... hope no better brides push you aside.

Aww. Sabrina was so much more scared and uncertain before we voters got our hands on her. Caras has been good for her confidence!

Also, if we have the chance, we should do something nice for the twins. They've been hellions, and they went along with Maman's scheme to try to get more money out of Caras with extra brides, but they had our backs when they weren't obligated to it, and I suspect the rumours and gossip about them has only grown worse since then. Maybe we can take on the 'visiting vassals' part of Caras' duties at some point and show everyone how we've grown.

Last edited:
I was going to suggest that the twins victimize care for any prisoners that Sabrina brings back. Obviously not the defectors, we want them to like Sabrina's country.

I was going to suggest that the twins victimize care for any prisoners that Sabrina brings back. Obviously not the defectors, we want them to like Sabrina's country.

Only if we can pay them for their time! It wouldn't do to take their expertise for granted just because they're family. :D

I understand why the people of Abandonne would look down on Sabrina marrying Caras, but at the same time … he is the baron.

He is the guy that owns the land that you are living on, and only lets you live there because you pay your taxes. He is the guy that controls all of the soldiers (or monsters in this case) that you will ever see in your entire life. He is the guy that has almost absolute judicial power within his fief. In summary, a big deal to any peasant living under him.

The baron's wife has the same amount of power. If I was someone that spread rude rumors about Sabrina, I'd be sleeping with one eye open. The news that she is more active in village affairs would make things worse.

Last edited:
The baron's wife has the same amount of power. If I was someone that spread rude rumors about Sabrina, I'd be sleeping with one eye open. The news that she is more active in village affairs would make things worse.

This is not always the case. Given how little the village knows about Caras, Sabrina could have just volunteered to be a brood spawner, or for a Bluebeard situation.

Which is why we should absolutely go back to the village some time with a complement of Boulders or something, and order them around in plain view while we cheerfully greet everyone, say how well we're doing, and express our hope that our family has been treated well in our absence.

Last edited:
Which is why we should absolutely go back to the village some time with a complement of Boulders or something, and order them around in plain view while we cheerfully greet everyone, say how well we're doing, and express our hope that our family has been treated well in our absence.
That sounds a bit too forgiving to me. While I certainly appreciate how our sisters helped get us out of that situation, they also tried to take our Caras away on our wedding night.
dearest sisters, "Why are you all here, really?"

Probably-Sophie speaks first, squeaking. "I-it was maman's idea, Sabrina! We promise!"

You cock your head. Then probably-Simone speaks up. "The bounty is so large, and... some ordinary men have large appetites-"

Sophie takes over. "-and maman knows that boys are often all too happy to have both our attention-"

Simone again. "-and papa is so sick, and you know how she is about papa-"

Sophie again. "-but we can't afford to travel to the capitol and pay a doctor there-"

Simone yet again. Ugh. You hate it when they do this. "-so maman thought maybe we could get the bounty three times over."

Then Sophie says, very quietly and sorrowfully, "We're really sorry, Sabrina."

What.
While we put that aside out of concern for our papa, it was never resolved, much less addressed. Serena's feelings on her family should be mixed at best, possibly even chilly.

Last edited:
That sounds a bit too forgiving to me. While I certainly appreciate how our sisters helped get us out of that situation, they also tried to take our Caras away on our wedding night
I read a lot of desperation in that behavior, and mostly from Sabrina's mother. She, the mother, seemed like the lynchpin of pushing the family into trying everything they could to save her husband. They weren't proud or happy about it, but the twins also wanted their dad alive.

Granted, they'll little monsters, so they probably enjoyed it on some level as well, but people are complex and I think keeping in mind the health of their dad as shaping their thoughts and feelings about their plan also would be appropriate.

I read a lot of desperation in that behavior, and mostly from Sabrina's mother. She, the mother, seemed like the lynchpin of pushing the family into trying everything they could to save her husband. They weren't proud or happy about it, but the twins also wanted their dad alive.
I just realized that this is a medieval setting and Sabrina's dad is the only guy in her household. Depending on how inheritance and land ownership works, him dying could leave the mother and twins completely homeless. That could be a pretty big motivator for the mother to keep her husband alive.

We should probably ask Virmire how that all works.

We should probably ask Virmire how that all works.

You expect Virmire to know the details of how Freelander inheritance works? Surely when someone dies, their possessions go to whoever fights off the rest of the village to claim them? It's in line with that revolutionary idea that humans are all their own mini-hives after all.

I think we're better off questioning Sabrina's own memories regarding how that sort of thing works.

You expect Virmire to know the details of how Freelander inheritance works? Surely when someone dies, their possessions go to whoever fights off the rest of the village to claim them? It's in line with that revolutionary idea that humans are all their own mini-hives after all.
I'm more expecting him to point to the dusty bookshelf in the unused room that holds all of the fief's legal codes. If those don't exist, I guess we sort of just ask town officials or send a runner to whoever would have a copy of the laws? The more I think about it, the clearer it gets that Caras' holdings might be in a worse situation than I thought.

Sabrina has so much more work to do.

I'd expect inheritance for small villages to work on the practicalities of farming or productivity. Once Sabrina's father dies or can no longer support his family, the land will pass to whomever can work it. If Sabrina's mother and sisters can, they keep it. If they can't, they starve until they die and the land reverts to village commons or one of the twins or mother marrys. At that point, assuming a patrilineal inheritance like much of medieval Europe, the land goes to the new 'man of the house'. However, for small villages, there's a cultural pressure to support the matrilineal side of the family.

As an aside, a "pressure" is no legal recourse for abuse. People just think the husband is a jerk or "the womenfolk" were stupid in choosing their new leader.

I'm not saying I'm a fan of this system, only sharing what I recall from history class. Lastly, as the past couple votes have shown, I can be quite wrong with my memory, so take this with skepticism.

Don't remember if this is the first time you've given the name of Sabrina's village but if it isn't I feel silly for only now getting the joke in the village name

goes back at least to;
Abandonne: Your hometown! Set somewhat into the Green Blight to the southeast, and prone to covering a third of its sheep tax in hunted foods. You didn't know that. Usually provides 25~ sheep worth of meat each year, which is apparently 'underperforming'.

there's a certain irony about Sabrina's reaction to Alairie, but at the same time it ALSO feels like it reinforces the Sabrina we have.
I get it. He acts like Sabrina is his WHOLE world. But unlike actual Sabrina when she got to Cara's' place, she's actually done and poked at other things then just trying to monopolize his time and energy.
But in contrast, the intensity of Alairie gives me Ruined King Viego vibes, and I suspect being why Sabrina was not interested because she could tell something was off even if she could not voice what, and in turn made her flee to the Baron, because if she was with the Baron Alairie could not gain say that- so some of that early feveor was genuinely just to get away from Alairie.

Aww. Sabrina was so much more scared and uncertain before we voters got our hands on her. Caras has been good for her confidence!

Keep in mind that most of that update is Sabrina unexpectedly finding out her decision is one that everyone in her entire village thinks is a self-evidently bad one and then wilting under the resulting stares/gossipmongering/etc. That part isn't really representative of What Sabrina Was Like Before Quest Start.

I think we're better off questioning Sabrina's own memories regarding how that sort of thing works.

Caras has, in fact, overseen disputes about inheritance;

Then Caras makes a sound like an animal dying. You only barely don't startle. "Drat. I had hoped this month would be empty."

What-?

"Sire, it's only one family." Vimire pauses. "Probably something to do with inheritance."

So actually both of them do have a concept of inheritance and how to handle it.

That said, I should point out that people apparently don't go to the castle on any kind of business particularly often and Caras doesn't have agents about the land who can enforce his views on such laws in any kind of reliable capacity, meaning there may be a very large disconnect between 'how Freelanders generally handle inheritance' vs 'how Caras approaches inheritance disputes when they're brought before him'.

I'd expect inheritance for small villages to work on the practicalities of farming or productivity. Once Sabrina's father dies or can no longer support his family, the land will pass to whomever can work it. If Sabrina's mother and sisters can, they keep it. If they can't, they starve until they die and the land reverts to village commons or one of the twins or mother marrys. At that point, assuming a patrilineal inheritance like much of medieval Europe, the land goes to the new 'man of the house'. However, for small villages, there's a cultural pressure to support the matrilineal side of the family.

For reasons that will hopefully come up within the Quest itself sometime... not soon, exactly, but the point is hopefully I don't have another 4-year hiatus... I've decided that the Freelands are neutral-ish on the family line thing with a non-trivial tendency to favor matrilineal.

(I actually spent a long time waffling on this topic; it's literally only today I've thought about background worldbuilding stuff in the right way to go 'actually, matrilineal-leaning probably is the more plausible scenario')

I'll probably have to think about Freelander social norms more vis-a-vis details like 'okay, so when a couple marries, what are the expectations there?' but in this particular case I'll say that Sabrina's assumption would be that Sophie and/or Simone marrying would probably result in the lad(s) being brought into the Vieuxpont household. (Sophie and Simone often buck Sabrina's expectations, though, so if she came back to Abandonne in a decade and something completely different had happened, Sabrina would probably just go 'oh, those wacky twins' and shrug it off) Whether Sabrina's assumption is correct is an open question given she married the Baron and left and so has no idea how that affected the social fabric of Abandonne, mind...

Anyway, now to hopefully get to the actual update.

Last edited:
Sabrina's assumption would be that Sophie and/or Simone marrying would probably result in the lad(s) being brought into the Vieuxpont household.
I am somewhat confused about this. It doesn't seem to match what happened to Sabrina herself after all, or even her expectations of what would happen after marriage.
You interrupt -this time to introduce yourself properly. "I look forward to our time together, my lord. You may call me Sabrina Vieuxpont, at least until we are married." You don't bother to step away, though strictly you ought to curtsy. But. Yours.

"Ŭ̪̓n̜̖͆̎͒̌ͦͬ̆̚ť͔̜̫̪̳̰̱̩̂͛͋̎̒i̠̫͉̯̭̻̗̣ͯ̈́́̓̌̃l̞̯͕̄͌́̿̆?͕̳͎̹͋̐̓ͤ̿͋͌̀ͫ.͙̠̱͎̰ͯ̐́̄̈̃͒̊.̞̤̦̲͒̇.͉̘̮̳̜̹͗̐̔ͩ̒" The Baron sounds confused.

"If̨ ̢yóu ͘woul̶d ͜actua͘lly ҉v̛̹́̽̎i͝s̬̪̲̙ͧ̾͛i̝͇̻̯̠̗̹͐͋̃̅ť̙̺̋̍̂̍̚̚ ͋̔́ý̟̞̪̼̱̩͒͗ͅo̯͙̭͚ͩ͑ͤͯͨu͛ͩͩ̏ͭ̚̚r̸͇̺͈̗͍ ̗̬̰ͭ̉̋̉̄͒v̜̱͖͈͎ͫͧȧ̜̠̥̪̿̕ș̡͎̃̽s̴̖̩̻̭͇ͭͫ͐ͪ͆͑ͦä̡͎͚̩́ͤ̈́ͨ̂ͭl̨̘͔̪͚̍̿͑̊̚s̭̮̬̞̺̫̻ͫ̿̓ͫ̈́͞, s͞i͞re,͏ yo͜u̡'̕d ķnow͝ ̸t͝hat̶ ͢humans̶ ̡cḩange͘ t̴hei̴r̴ n͡a͜mes͟.̷ S͘uch ͡as wh͢en̶ m̴arryi̡nǵ.͏"
Or at least, my understanding is that a spouse changing their name is to indicate that they were the ones "brought into the family" (or in olden days coverture, which was even more extreme). Not the inverse.

Honestly it sounds rather confusing to have the bride take on a new family name (as defined by Sabrina below) but the groom take on a new family (which has the bride's maiden name). Such that neither now have the name of the family they are part of.
"Caras dear, what part of your name is your family name?"

"Eh?"

Oh great. "Um, like Sabrina is my name, but Vieuxpont is the name I shared with maman, papa, Sophie and Simone before the marriage."

"Oh, I think I see. Well, my breed is Overlord? It's the only name I share with another, anyway."

Sabrina Overlord.

I am somewhat confused about this. It doesn't seem to match what happened to Sabrina herself after all, or even her expectations of what would happen after marriage.

Or at least, my understanding is that a spouse changing their name is to indicate that they were the ones "brought into the family" (or in olden days coverture, which was even more extreme). Not the inverse.

Honestly it sounds rather confusing to have the bride take on a new family name (as defined by Sabrina below) but the groom take on a new family (which has the bride's maiden name). Such that neither now have the name of the family they are part of.

I'm... not really seeing what the problem is? Sabrina left her family and joined the Baron's household, basically cutting ties with her family, so she expects to get a new name; this is exactly in line with your view. Nor do any of those quotes actually directly imply it's always the bride changing their name, just that Freelander humans tend to change name when marrying in general.

The obvious answer here is that the groom takes on the bride's family name when the groom is the one joining the bride's family and the bride takes on the groom's family name when joining the groom's family. (ie Sophie and/or Simone would remain Vieuxpont and their husband{s} would become Vieuxpont)

It's worth pointing out that in, for example, Japan, this is already a thing in real life: the default is the bride takes on the groom's family name, but if the wife's family is way more esteemed then often the husband takes on the bride's family name.

There's certainly questions of what Freelander customs would be as far as 'what decides which family name is kept', and potentially odd answers (I imagine sometimes you'd get two Freelander kids marrying and just compounding their family names into one word, to 'split the difference'), but overall this seems straightforward. A nuisance to whatever poor Freelanders go digging into genealogical records, I'd assume, but 'this decision inconveniences the record-keeping people' doesn't stop people from doing all kinds of things.

Yeah, the Caras is a baron, it makes sense for Sabrina to take his name and leave her household, since he's nobility and she isn't even the family heir, being the youngest of three.
I'll probably have to think about Freelander social norms more vis-a-vis details like 'okay, so when a couple marries, what are the expectations there?' but in this particular case I'll say that Sabrina's assumption would be that Sophie and/or Simone marrying would probably result in the lad(s) being brought into the Vieuxpont household. (Sophie and Simone often buck Sabrina's expectations, though, so if she came back to Abandonne in a decade and something completely different had happened, Sabrina would probably just go 'oh, those wacky twins' and shrug it off)
Both twins apparently dated the same girl for a week and encouraged Sabrina to broaden her horizons by trying it, but also enjoy talking about boys so there's no telling how things will shake out there.

Back