Mobile Escalation Skitter Gundam

Mobile Escalation Skitter Gundam
Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

It all starts in a locker. When Taylor calls out for help, something answers.

And remember, one does not choose a Gundam to pilot, the Gundam chooses you.

(And blame Sunrise for the crazy title. At least it's not a light novel title...)
Possibility 01

Kryslin

[Has Delusions of Authorship]

The Beast of Possibility

In her dream, Taylor was looking at a tapestry. A noblewoman is in the center, her attendant to her left. A unicorn to the attendant's left, a lion to the noble woman's right. A pavilion behind her, the valence over the entrance reading "À mon seul désir " - "My own desire".

Her eyes fell on the unicorn, a fantastic beast that symbolized many things. That there was a chance, a possibility, a hope that things could change. Something that could bring judgment to the world. Something to help purify the world, purge it of its wrongs.

In her dream, Taylor's eyes fluttered, then closed. Her last vision was on the unicorn.

Something beeped.

There was nothing in her locker that could beep. She opened her eyes, curious what could be making the beeping sound. She'd closed them hours ago, waiting for the end to come. The trio had locked her in her locker, and despite her every effort to attract attention, no one had helped. She had muttered a last prayer to whatever power would listen, made her peace with the world, and closed her eyes to die.

Now she was sitting in a comfortable seat of some kind, and a green light was blinking in sync with the beeping. "Hello?" she said to the darkness, hoping someone would hear her.

Text scrawled across the screen the green light blinked above. The text began scrolling down the screen, and a wrap around display began to activate.

The central screen cleared, and a video played. An ethereal avatar looked out from the screen, her gaze seeming to lock on to Taylor. "Hello," it said, a slight smile on her face.

"Hello," Taylor answered. "Who are you, and where am I?"

"I really don't have a name," the avatar told her. "I just have my unit designation, RX-1. As to where you are, how is your understanding of higher order dimensional mathematics?"

"The highest math class I've had was high school advanced algebra," Taylor muttered.

"The simplest, and somewhat lacking, explanation is that you are someplace between. Or rather, I am someplace between, and you are sitting in my cockpit."

"So you're some kind of vehicle, RX-1?" Taylor asked.

"You might say that. However, until we get your credentials logged into my system, I'm not moving anywhere."

Taylor was already having problems calling the avatar by its given designation. "May I call you Roxi?"

"Certainly. I would assume you would like to be called something other than 'Pilot'. Please state your name and age so I can build your credentials."

"Taylor Anne Hebert, age fifteen," Taylor said clearly.

"Thank you, Taylor," Roxi said, her Avatar sketching a slight bow. "System Initialization start… Now." And with that, more displays came on line. "All systems check, powering up. We will be breaking into realspace in ten seconds… five seconds… realspace breakout commencing."

Outside the suit, there was the sound of metal tearing, rocks being broken. "We appear to have materialized inside a structure," Roxi noted dryly. "Taylor, where were you last located?"

"I was locked in my locker at school by three girls this morning." Taylor mumbled.

"Hmm, local time is currently 0200 hours. Even by most outliers of social norms, locking someone in a small cell who isn't guilty of a criminal act is a violation of several laws," Roxi said, a disapproving look on her avatar's face. "However, I think we'd best determine our course of action." With that, the view screen came to life.

It showed the rather lackluster nighttime vista of Brockton Bay. As Taylor moved her head around to look, she could hear the whisper quiet of the machine doing something, and the view would follow her head movements. She looked down, and realized that whatever Roxi was, she was kneeling in the wreckage of the main building of Winslow High School.

"Local law enforcement and something called the PRT and Protectorate will be onsite in five minutes, Taylor. What do you want to do?"

"We need to get out of here," Taylor blurted. "Without attracting too much more attention."

"A little late for that," Roxi noted. "and I really don't do stealthy well. If you could please fasten your pilot's harness, I'll take care of getting us out of here."

Taylor fumbled with the belts, her arms and hands unexpectedly clumsy, before getting them fastened. "I'm strapped in, Roxi."

"OK, we're standing up now." Taylor felt herself pressed gently into the chair as Roxi stood up. The view on the screen became one from a higher viewpoint. "Debris shed, deploying radiators, engine sequence start." Taylor could feel something come to life in the vehicle? Robot? Whatever Roxi was. "Do we have a destination in mind?"

"If I were to tell you one of the larger abandoned buildings in the Docks, you'd have no clue what I'm talking about, right?"

"Accessing local data infrastructure… The Docks referring to a largely derelict commercial and industrial area of the city, roughly four miles from here. There are six buildings that are large enough to hide myself in," Roxi noted. "Two are reported as structurally sound."

"Pick the one in better condition," Taylor said as she watched as various emergency services converged on the ruins of Winslow High School. "And we're trying to hide, so not too much damage, please."

"Affirmative," Roxi replied.

There was a brief whine as the turbopumps spooled up, and then it took a few seconds for enough power to build up before Roxi left her current position with some alacrity.

"Well, that's not something you see every day," remarked Assault from where he sat in the PRT van.

"Indeed," came back Armsmaster's voice over the radio. "Estimate height to be eighteen meters, humanoid layout." They watched as the titanic robot, shimmering white, stood up and looked around. "That is impressive."

"It's fucking huge," Assault added. "Hey, it's deploying wings." Indeed, the robot was spreading silvered wings, a hexagonal pattern covering the individual feathers of each wing.

"Turbines onboard are beginning to spool up… Take cover, it's going to launch!" With that Armsmaster executed a sharp turn, putting an abandoned building between him and the exhaust blast from the engines. The two PRT vans did likewise.

They watched as the exhaust blast built up strength, the heat from the thrusters starting to melt stone and steel, before it took off into the air. Soon it was out of sight, just a bright spot in the sky which eventually blinked out.

"Where did it go?"

"Armsmaster, Rig: We lost the bogie roughly 10 seconds after launch."

Assault broke in on the channel. "Well, that sucks. How could you lose something that's exhausting gasses hot enough to melt steel?"

"Unknown," replied Armsmaster. "An estimate of the trajectory would have it hitting somewhere out on Cape Cod, assuming a purely ballistic flight."

"She's not going to be happy we lost a sixty foot tall robot," Assault chided his boss.

"I'm well aware of that," Armsmaster growled. "Let's get the site cordoned off, and let emergency services get things under control."

Roxi had a problem. Soon after launch, Taylor had started convulsing, eventually hemorrhaging bright red blood out of her nose. "Emergency medical protocols activated," she said in a machine-like voice, and the autoinjectors in the seat delivered their loads of repair nanites.

Massive infections, gangrenous tissues, cerebral hemorrhaging, Roxi's systems reported. She prioritized the brain injury first, followed by the gangrenous tissues. She watched as the bleeding was stopped in a couple of seconds, and the arteries were sealed. She made sure Taylor's vitals remained stable, and directed the nanites. The bacteria didn't last long, being torn apart for raw materials to help with repairs. The gangrenous parts of her hands and legs – how had she managed to get the harness buckled? – were more problematic. There wasn't enough uncontaminated biomass left to rebuild all of them.

The pilot would survive and eventually recover. It was what happened in the next few hours that would determine how much of her would be human, and how much machine.

Roxi managed to land the stealthed suit as quietly as something weighing fifty metric tons could – which meant that anyone within a block of her landing point heard and felt it – and examined the door to the building. Glad that the hand actuators were the best available when she'd been built, she used their superior dexterity to pull the lock off the doors, making a fairly loud snap as the rusted metal gave way.

Very carefully, slowly turning up the power, the door was slid to the side, gaining access to the building. A quick LIDAR scan showed adequate space, and a couple of taps with a foot actuator gave her enough readings to show the floor would hold the suit's weight. Stooping a bit to get through the door, she made her way into the building and pulled the door closed.

Her first priority would be to secure medical care for Taylor. Her emergency measures would save her life, but she would require more permanent treatment than she could give. Her second priority would be to gather consumables for her systems. There were ninety days of lithium deuteride in her powerplant's tanks, and enough reaction mass for thirty days cruise in zero-g, or roughly four hours flight in the atmosphere.

Both would require information. She was equipped with a very good ELINT suite, and there was a great number of nodes transmitting openly. While the nanites in her pilot worked on both repairing the life threatening damage and keeping her asleep, she accessed the local network infrastructure and began weighing her options.

"Why are we out here?" The person who asked was a fairly large man. He was dressed appropriately for the weather, and carried a rather large flashlight, which panned around.

"Because something overflew the office, and the security system registered an impact," his somewhat smaller companion replied. He, too, had a flashlight, plus his custom built hand held scanning tool. "Something did land here," he said as he moved into an area where the snow had melted away. "But whaaaAAAAH!"

He never finished the thought as he stepped off into a rather large footprint. The unexpected (if short) drop caused him to lose his balance and topple over.

His companion began laughing at his misfortune before he offered him assistance in getting out of the footprint. "OK, I believe you! Something did land here. In fact, it looked like it walked over to the warehouse, pulled the old lock off the door, and went inside." The flashlight highlighted each point of the discussion.

"So there's something fairly big sitting in our warehouse," the smaller man said.

"Yes, we'd purchased it through a cut out," the larger man said, "but we'd not done any work except replace the man door and bring some equipment in through the small overhead door, so there isn't anything valuable that's easy to steal." He pulled a key ring out of his pocket. "Shall we see who engaged in breaking and entering on our property?"

"OK, yes. While I don't think anything we have on hand will do anything to something that large, it can't hurt to see if they're friendly, or in need of something."

Taylor dreamt. She was floating down a shaded creek on an inflatable raft, a cool breeze wafting over her on a lazy summer afternoon. This was nice. The sound of the water, the cool breeze, and the sounds of nature surrounding her.

She leaned back and sighed, and watched as a cloud of butterflies fluttered near her. Butterflies she'd never seen before. And there was someone floating next to her, on a raft.

"How are you feeling, Taylor?"

"Oh, hi Roxi. Considering what's been happening, I'm actually feeling pretty good." She looked over at the other girl. "What's wrong?"

"Just after we left the alleged school" – and at that description Taylor chuckled – "you started having a seizure and hemorrhaging. I also took note of the extent of your injuries from the locker, and wondered how you got the pilot's harness on."

"So, am I dead?"

"No, you're alive. My onboard emergency medical systems have stabilized your injuries, and I'm looking into securing medical assistance."

"So why am I dreaming that I'm floating down a stream with you instead of being drugged insensate on painkillers?"

"Because the dangers of using painkillers to do that to you far outweighs the benefits," Roxi explained. "The various side effects would have killed you. I'm using electronic sedation to keep you still and talk with you."

"Oh." Taylor was silent, her hand trailing in the cool water. "I wish I could talk to my dad one last time. Tell him I'm sorry."

"Taylor, listen to me," Roxi said in a reassuring voice. "You are not going to die. Your injuries have been taken care of, though I did have to amputate both your legs below the knees, and both your hands. Whatever was in your locker was nasty."

"Used tampons, sanitary napkins, and bugs," Taylor interrupted.

"Whoever contributed some of that should see a doctor," Roxi stated. "You had several serious infections that were dealt with – beyond the sepsis and gangrene – and a brain injury. The damage has been fixed, and I am working on restoring your right hand, since I have enough biomass available to do that. If you're not right handed, tell me now.

"You are also suffering from borderline malnutrition, and are underweight. If you are to heal, you'll need to eat better."

"Yeah, things have been kind of tough for Dad and I after Mom died," Taylor admitted. "Been left to see to my own needs, while Dad is sometimes drunk and suffering from depression. He's starting to get a little better."

Well, Roxi thought, I guess I chose well. "Our first priority is to get you medical care. The second priority is to secure some of the consumables I need to function. And lastly, determine who the two men are who are approaching this building." With that, a window opened mid-air, showing a pair of men unlocking the man door to the warehouse they'd taken shelter in. A short audio clip played.

"That's Smith and Cooper," Taylor said. "They've done consulting work around town. The taller one is Darrel Smith, and the shorter is Daryl Cooper."

"Well, they're about to enter the building."

Smith opened the door, shining the flashlight inside. It flashed off of something impossibly white in the center of the building. "Dude, have you been tinkering again without telling me?"

Cooper went over to the breaker panel and switched on the lights.

Standing in the warehouse was a metallic titan, the top of its head not too far below the ceiling. It was backed against the old overhead crane. The plates that made up its outer skin were pearlescent white save for a few smudges of black. The plates were angular, yet sufficiently jointed to provide, the pair assumed, a very wide range of motion. A pair of silvery panels could be seen behind the legs of the titan. The openings they could see on either side of the head were part of the shrouds that usually concealed weapons, similar to the ones used on fighter aircraft

"Are we seeing what I think we're seeing?" Smith asked, disbelieving what his eyes were showing him.

"I think so," Cooper replied, more in awe than disbelief. "It's a mobile suit."

"From that Aleph import?" Smith retorted. He was watching it very carefully.

"The newest one? Possibly." He brought out his phone, fiddling with it for a moment. "It almost matches the lead from the new series, but not quite." He didn't see Smith raise his hand to point at it.

"Dude, it just moved!"

"Couldn't have. It's not…" With that, there was a sound that can only be described as the suit's sensors going active, "Oh shit." He had seen the head turn and lower to look at both of them. Then his phone signaled the arrival of a new message. "Assistance needed, please wait."

A small hatch on the head opened, and something made its way down. It was roughly a sphere, less than half a meter in diameter.

"Oh, this is rich," Cooper said. "It's a Haro!"

The small drone came to a stop about ten feet away, and powered up a projector. "Good morning, gentlemen. I am the AGI aboard the RX-1. I require some assistance, as my pilot is in need of medical attention."

Roxi's avatar was of a slim, young woman of athletic build. She wore a rather generic white sundress, which went well with her pale skin. The avatar's short hair, cut just above the shoulders, was pink with stripes of pastel blue and purple running through it. Violet eyes watched the pair of young men.

There was a flicker, and a video window showed a picture of Taylor in the cockpit, her left wrist and both knees capped where the remainder of the extremity should be.

"Dude, that's Taylor! Danny's gonna be pissed when he finds out about this," Smith said in a hoarse whisper.

"He'll be pissed at us if we don't help," Cooper replied. "You go get the crash kit, and I'll fire up the man lift." He began flipping more breakers, bringing all the lights on full.

Smith nodded. He'd gotten a lot of practice with his skills as an EMT since his partner had some rather explosive failures in his workshop. Nothing of the paying work, but very few of his experiments failed safely.

Cooper grabbed the stretcher from the basic aid station near where the manlift was parked, disconnected the latter from the charger, and began to make his way over to the mobile suit. Up on the torso, he could see armored hatches opening up. "I hope this thing will reach," he said to no one in particular.

"It should, Mr. Cooper," Roxi said via the Haro drone. "If not, I can assist."

"Thank you," Cooper answered as his partner was back with the crash kit. With a leap worthy of any anime hero, he vaulted onto the man lift as his partner began to raise the platform. "Dare I ask how a mobile suit has wound up here, in our warehouse?"

"This was one of two locations in the area that met my pilot's criteria for a place to hide."

"But where did you appear?" Smith asked. "There is a hornet's nest of activity near one of the high schools."

"When I materialized in realspace, I noticed some resistance to my entry. Only afterward did I realize that I materialized where my pilot was, locked in her locker."

"From what's being broadcast by the PRT, it also looks like the school was half melted," Darrel commented.

"Darrel, mobile suits are fusion powered."

"That is correct, Mr. Smith," Roxi answered.

"So that means fusion thrusters?" Darrel asked.

"I mount six high efficiency plasma recombustion thrusters, along with sixty thermal expansion vernier thrusters for maneuverability," Roxi answered.

"OK, so while you're not venting nuclear plasma into the atmosphere, it's still hot enough to melt steel and stone at close range." Daryl said in a deadpan manner.

"Oops." Somehow, the Haro drone managed to look sheepish.

The man lift reached the cockpit level, with a few feet of extension left. The arms of the suit moved quietly and slowly, and soon the hand actuators were keeping the lift from swaying too much.

"Yep, it's Taylor," Darrel said, doing quick checks of her vitals. "She's stable, her heartbeat is regular, but her pulse is a bit weak. Pupils are unresponsive, blood pressure one ten over sixty. Respiration is regular."

"I have her under electronic sedation," Roxi's voice said, coming from a cockpit speaker. "Part of my emergency treatment included repairing a cerebral hemorrhage."

"Yeah, I can see the arterial blood on her clothes and a bit around her nose," Darrel said. "Looks like you cleaned most of it from her orifices. OK, we're gonna transfer her over to the stretcher, and then onto the lift. Good thing there's a lot of space in the cockpit. Come on, straw man!"

"Whatever," Daryl grumped. "I do have muscles, you know. Mine aren't all bulgy like yours." Despite the byplay, they managed to get Taylor onto the stretcher and onto the lift. They secured the stretcher on the deck of the lift before going back down.

As they reached floor level, the arms hung down in their resting position. "You're not going to fall over, are you?" Daryl asked Roxi.

"I should be able to remain standing unassisted for another eighty days," she stated. "I'm hoping to secure some consumables to remain operational."

Darrel had already pulled out his phone and was talking to emergency services. After a couple of minutes he was back to help take one end of the stretcher in hand. "I talked to our contact at the PRT. They'll have a van and an ambulance coming out."

"Is stick-up-his-ass coming?" Daryl groused. "I mean, I respect the man, but very few people like him. If Taylor has triggered…" He let the thought hang.

"Yeah, she'd probably turn to villainy. It appears to be a common reaction to his 'logical and rational arguments' for joining the Protectorate and Wards."

"Excuse me, but I have a question. What are the PRT, Protectorate, and Wards?" Roxi asked.

Daryl looked stunned while Darrel snickered. "I'll give you a quick summary. In 1984, the first Parahumans, or people with powers, appeared on Earth…"

Miss Militia watched as they approached a particular pair of buildings in the dock. She'd been here before, since the Protectorate often used the services that Uber and Leet provided. She was glad they'd decided to become independents, sticking to entirely legal means of showing off. It'd been quite the while since they'd called the PRT for assistance, usually Leet's security system drove off most would be thieves, and those it actually caught were turned over to the Brockton Bay police.

It was too cold for her to be on her motorbike, so she and Triumph were riding along in the PRT vans, which were following one of the ambulances that were assigned to the local PRT office. They'd passed the fence that marked the outer boundaries of the pair's 'lair' for want of a better term.

They pulled up to the area in front of the larger of the two warehouses, which had the high bay door cracked open, allowing the light from inside the warehouse to spill out. Uber was outside, a simple balaclava concealing his features, but otherwise wearing clothes suitable for a cold New England morning, directing them to where they were needed.

"Hey, Miss Militia, sorry to call you out here so early in the AM," Uber said.

"You think you might have a new trigger?" she asked. "And possibly related to the destruction of Winslow?"

"Yeah. She showed up here about thirty minutes ago. She suffered some horrific injuries as a result of being locked into her school locker with, according to what we were told, 'decaying feminine hygiene products, medical waste, and various insects.'

"As for the rest, you'll just have to see." Uber finished.

Miss Militia and Triumph walked through the door.

"That's impressive," the junior Protectorate member stated.

Standing at the far end of the bay was the mobile suit. "Projection, or Tinkertech?" Miss Militia asked Uber.

"Entirely too real," he admitted with a shrug. "I think my partner's beginning to get ideas, if you know what I mean."

"That doesn't bode well," Triumph said, smirking. "Where's our victim?"

"She's over here," Leet said, gesturing to the stretcher. "Brain injury, severe infections, and the medical systems aboard the robot had to amputate both legs below the knee, and the left hand above the wrist due to gangrene and necrosis."

"So, what is that?" Triumph asked, pointing at the Haro drone that floated nearby.

"I am a Haro drone unit currently assigned to the unit you see behind me," a feminine voice said from the floating drone. "My pilot has currently designated me as Roxi, my unit designation is RX-1, hull number forty-three, registration number M5882353."

"What are you?"

"That information is only available on a need to know basis," the drone said to Triumph. "Until such a need to know is established, that information is unavailable."

"I hate it when manifestations of powers have better information security than we do," the lion themed hero groused.

"Point of note," Roxi corrected. "I am not a manifestation of a power of any sort. I was built. Regardless of my origins, my first priority is to secure medical assistance for my pilot. I can only do so much with my emergency medical systems."

"I agree, strangely enough," Miss Militia said, gesturing to the PRT medics. They lifted the stretcher onto the gurney, and made sure the girl was secure.

The Haro drone followed the medical crew. "I have stabilized her injuries to the best of my abilities," it told them, and then began to rattle off a list of the extensive injuries the girl had suffered. "Preliminary scans show the presence of two anomalous structures in her brain.

"I also have her under electronic sedation," the drone finished. "The amputations would have been painful. I can provide a detailed file of what was done."

"Yeah, the doctors will probably require that," one EMT said.

"I will release the sedation, then."

Not more than ten seconds later, Taylor's eyes fluttered open. "I feel like shit," she moaned.

"Miss, you've been through a lot," the other EMT said. "While your companion has managed to stabilize you, we're going to take you to the PRT medical unit for examination and care. Do you understand?"

Taylor nodded. "I'll need to contact my father," she said quietly.

Uber nodded. "We know who he is, we'll handle that."

"I will accompany my pilot," the drone stated.

"We can't have you in the ambulance," the lead EMT said, as they raised the gurney up and began to wheel her out to the ambulance. "We don't know if your presence will interfere with our gear or not."

"I understand," Roxi answered.

"It can ride in with us," Miss Militia said. "We have some questions we need to ask, hopefully those don't fall under your information security protocols."

"I will answer as truthfully as I can."

Darrel watched as the PRT vans and ambulance sped out of the yard between the two buildings. "Well, that's that," he said, pulling his balaclava up. "I'll give Mr. Hebert a call, and we'll go and meet him at the PRT building. They'll probably be expecting us."

He pulled out his phone and dialed.

"Hello?" The voice was Danny's, though still sleepy.

"Mr. Hebert, this is Darrel Smith. I'm sorry to wake you up at this insane hour, but something bad has happened."

"This had better be good, Darrel," Danny growled. "It's two forty-five in the morning."

"We found Taylor in our second building thirty minutes ago."

"I'm listening." His voice had gone from grouchy but sleepy to deadly calm and wide awake in an instant.

"I won't go into details for now, but Taylor was hurt, we rendered medical assistance, and called the PRT for a pickup." Darrel explained.

"Why the PRT… was a Parahuman involved with Taylor's disappearance?" Danny shouted. Darrel held the phone away from his ear. Daryl could clearly hear Danny's voice from where he stood, several feet away.

"In a way," Darrel hedged. "We can meet you at the PRT building in twenty minutes."

"I'll be there in thirty." With that, Danny hung up.

"Better fire up your truck," Daryl said. "My van is currently in our garage. I need to replace the rear shocks and springs."

"Not my fault your last attempt at antigrav decided to become a grav multiplier," Darrel said with a smirk.

"We also need to think of a way to secure the main bay doors," Darrel yelled back as they walked over to his truck.

"I'll get 'em closed and bar 'em from the inside, then lock the man door," Daryl yelled back.

Accomplishing his task, albeit with use of the old electric fork truck they had in the building, Daryl joined Darrel in the cab of the truck. A quick press of the button to open the gate also had the security system arming, locking the doors, and turning off the lights.

Miss Militia sat in the back with a pair of PRT troopers and the Haro drone Roxi was currently using. "Where are you from?" Miss Militia asked.

"I was built in the Vist Foundation facility on Luna, a joint collaboration between Anaheim Electronics, Kani Mechatech, and the Fog Technical Group."

"There is no such place here," Miss Militia answered.

"Not on your Luna, no," Roxi answered.

"Not on our Luna? Ah. Dimensional travel, then?"

"I have the capability to shift between various dimensional realspaces, yes." Roxi said. "It involves breaking out of one dimension into I-space, and from there, breaking into the desired realspace."

"Why did the girl become your pilot?"

"Not how?"

"Why."

"She called to me," Roxi said. "Something was happening while she was trapped in her locker. It gave me a set of coordinates to lock onto, where I could easily transfer her to my cockpit.

"From there, I used the coordinates to return to her realspace. Upon re-entry, she started hemorrhaging, and I noticed that her hands and feet had gone gangrenous and necrotic. My first priority was to keep her alive. I sedated her, dealt with the cerebral hemorrhage, cleaned out the infections, and removed the gangrenous tissues.

"There was enough biomass available to rebuild the right hand in its entirety. Most of the infectious agents she'd been exposed to appear to be mutations on bacteria found in human blood and waste products, in addition to the bacterial load found in many insects."

"How did you treat her?"

"Surgical nanites," came the reply. "I have an extensive medical library for humans and 2,257 other races, and I can determine an appropriate course of treatment quickly. My measures are stop-gap efforts to ensure my pilot makes it to real medical treatment."

"Thank you. One last question, then. Are you armed? It is usually a common feature of many giant robots." At Triumph's surprised look, she sighed. "It's common to the genre, they're usually built as weapons against some threat."

"To answer your question, Miss Militia," Roxi answered, "yes, I am armed. However, current mission parameters only allow for defensive fire. You probably noticed the weapon ports on my head?" At the nods from both heroes, she continued. "I have two sixty millimeter vulcans as close support and point defense weapons. For things requiring sterner measures, I have four beam sabers equipped."

"Beam sabers?" Triumph asked.

"Yes, though they are closer to being actuator held fusion torches than length limited beams," Roxi replied.

"We'd appreciate it if you kept their use to a minimum," Triumph added. "Preferably not at all."

"I would like that as well," Roxi answered. "But given human nature in general, it doesn't seem likely."

Silence reigned in the back of the van until they pulled into the PRT garage.

Darrel and Daryl were sitting in the small waiting area the PRT had for late hours use, right off the secure entrance in the garage. It was a place they were familiar with, having been through it several times, but only once as the alleged perpetrators of a crime. They had gotten matters sorted out quickly, and the charges had been quietly dropped at the time.

Danny arrived soon after they'd sat down. The tall skinny man with thinning brown hair was familiar to both of them, not only because the DWA used their consulting services quite often.

"Hey, guys," Danny said, very tired from the early hour.

"Danny," Darrel said with a nod, handing him a cup of coffee.

"Thanks, Darrel," he said before drinking from the cup. "That's some strong coffee."

"Straight from the ready room for the night shift," the PRT sergeant said. "Mr. Hebert, I presume?"

"Yes, that's me. Can someone tell me what this is about?"

The door buzzed as the man keyed the lock from his side. "If you'll all follow me, we'll get matters sorted out." He led them down a hallway to an interview room. At the very least, they had provided fresh coffee and cups. "If you'll have a seat, gentlemen, Miss Militia will be with you shortly."

"So, what happened," Danny asked the duo sitting at the table with him.

"Taylor and a friend –" Daryl started, but was interrupted.

"A very large friend," Darrel interjected.

Daryl sighed, then continued. "– got into our B building. Things were resolved peacefully, she was hurt, we administered aid, and called our contacts here."

"That would mean that a Parahuman was involved, beyond my immediate company."

Miss Militia chose that moment to enter. "We're actually not quite sure." Floating behind her was a ball about a foot across, which had a rudimentary face. "Mr. Hebert," she said, offering her hand.

"Miss Militia."

Her handshake was firm, and the hint of a smile behind the bandanna was evident. "While we are unsure if a Parahuman was involved with what happened earlier," she continued, "Taylor has triggered. At this time, we're not going to push for anything, because she's in no condition to be making any decisions."

"So what is that?" he asked, gesturing towards the ball, which was sitting on the table.

"This is a Haro type drone that I am currently using to operate remotely," it said. "My apologies, I am currently going by the name Roxi. It is a pleasure to meet my pilot's father." With that, it rolled forward a bit, approximating a respectful bow, before rolling back.

"We've got something of a timeline for things this morning," the heroine stated, "but we'd like to know if you can add anything to it?"

"I got a call yesterday morning from the school – Winslow High – that Taylor hadn't shown up for classes. I came home early, to try and find out what was wrong, and she didn't come home. I called the police at nine PM to report a missing person. The police told me they did find a picture of her on a traffic camera near the school, just before classes began."

"If I may?" Roxi asked. At Miss Militia's and Danny's nods, the drone continued. "Taylor told me that she'd been locked in her locker on arrival at school by three students. Cursory examination of message traffic has brought to light several persons of interest."

At Miss Militia's arched eyebrow, Roxi emitted a sound like a sigh. "Ma'am. I have an exceedingly advanced SIGINT and ELINT suite as part of my sensor systems. Signal encryption here is mostly non-existent, and there are six individuals that were talking about Taylor Hebert during the last hour. Those would be Gregory Veder, Emma Barnes, Julia Cress, Mikhail Guderian, Sophia Hess, and Madison Clements.

"It would appear that Misters Veder and Guderian were witnesses to the actual deed. Ms. Cress appears to not have had an active role, but the remaining three have significant message traffic that makes them complicit in the deed." The drone pivoted slightly to face Miss Militia. "I have determined that the best way to get this information to you would be by secure file transfer."

There was a beep from Miss Militia's phone, as the file was transferred over. The woman looked down at her phone. "Thank you, I think." Oh, Lord, is that going to cause a mess. Director Piggot will not be happy.

Danny had been watching Miss Militia's reactions to the information. "So, why is Taylor here?"

Before the humans could answer, Roxi did. "After leaving the wreckage of the building I materialized in, Taylor suffered a cerebral hemorrhage, and had serious secondary infections, along with gangrenous wounds on her hands and legs. I provided emergency treatment, which stabilized her condition, and managed to get medical assistance."

Danny had turned green at the descriptions given of Taylor's injuries. "So, what's left of my daughter?"

"Roxi rebuilt your daughter's right hand in perfect condition. We're doing our initial imaging sets right now in medical. Her left hand from half way down the forearm and both legs from below the knee have been amputated. The only evidence of a cerebral hemorrhage is the arterial blood which stains her clothes, along with the," and here Miss Militia paused for a moment, appearing to lack a word to describe what she'd seen, "filth that was on her pants, shirt and jacket."

"I have provided the medical staff with a complete file of everything I found and treated," Roxi said. "They were grateful for the information and appalled at what I found. There are some other issues I found that I would like to discuss with you privately."

Danny arched an eyebrow at that.

"We'd like to keep Taylor for observation," Miss Militia said, "and call in Panacea in the afternoon. Provided Brandish allows it."

"However that brings us to the white elephant in the room," Daryl added,

"The eighteen meter tall, fifty ton white elephant that may have destroyed an alleged high school building?" Darrel quipped.

"That is also armed with some heavy weapons," Miss Militia finished.

The little drone tipped forward. "My apologies for the destruction of the building. Had I known my breakout point was inside a structure, I would have shifted it. My launch did the area no favors either."

"I don't think it is going to be a huge concern," Danny said. "The mayor has been looking for a reason to close Winslow and build a couple of smaller high schools to better serve the needs of the city. Roxi here has just pushed the timetable forward quite a bit."

"Still, it does mean that Mayor Christner will want to yell at Director Piggot a lot," Daryl snickered.

"What's the longest they've kept up yelling at each other, only to wind up laughing at the end?" Darrel asked.

"Three and a half hours," Miss Militia admitted. "And that was towards the beginning of the Director's tenure. To get the posturing out of the way, they'll yell at each other for about ten minutes, then get to work on the problem."

Miss Militia's phone beeped, indicating an incoming message. "Taylor's through her imaging set, and has been admitted to a room for observation. I can take you up to see her, if you wish. I also have some additional information to give to you in private."

"Miss Militia, we already know," Daryl said. "Roxi's systems detected the presence of '…two anomalous structures…' in Taylor's brain. And we've known Taylor and Danny since we both worked in the DWA until we triggered."

"I was sad to see them go," Danny said, "but the law is rather unforgiving on those matters. But yes, I'd like to see my daughter. I suspect you have matters you wish to discuss with these two?"

"I do."

"Mr. Hebert, I will accompany you." Roxi said through the drone, which floated up off the table, moving to a position near Danny.

"An orderly will be down shortly," Miss Militia said. "Anything else we have to discuss will wait until Taylor has recovered."

"Otherwise, the Youth Guard will have the Protectorate by the short and squirrelly's," Darrel sniggered.

Miss Militia looked at Darrel and Daryl, or as she knew them, Uber and Leet. "So, what do you think?"

"I think the computer running the drone is being honest," Uber said, leaning back in the chair. "I saw enough evidence of the injuries to make me pretty sure they happened."

"The suit itself is impressive," Leet added. "No way she built it, though. The infrastructure and materials required? Not possible in the area, even with tinkertech assistance. It's not a projection, because Taylor was unconscious when we found it."

"Yeah, there's that. I think it's exactly what it appears to be."

"Which is?" Miss Militia asked.

"A giant, piloted combat robot, resembling one from the imported Aleph anime franchise, Mobile Suit Gundam." Uber finished. "Except this one is way more advanced than anything seen in the show." He picked up his coffee cup to take a drink, then frowned when it was found to be empty. "For one, the suits didn't normally have a VI onboard."

"Technical details?"

"The things were fusion powered, and initially mounted various weapons typically found on tanks. As the show progressed, things moved more towards energy weapons. Those vulcans? They're most likely rapid fire beam cannons, really only limited by energy storage, recharge rate and cooling. The bigger beam cannons they carried were scary. And the beam sabers were capable of slicing through anything not sufficiently shielded."

Miss Militia nodded. "What can you tell me about the girl?"

"It's been a couple of years, so there are going to be things we're missing. She's always been quiet, but scary smart," Uber said from where he was getting himself more coffee.

"Unless she's comfortable with you or gets passionate about something, and then she's a regular chatterbox. She also has inherited her father's temper," Leet added. "Danny's temper is legendary: Some idiot took a swing at Annette after nearly causing a car accident. The idiot decided to be rude, and Danny took exception to that. When the police arrived, the idiot pleaded with the police to arrest him, just keep the scary man away from him." Leet took a sip from his coffee cup. "Her temper tends towards cold revenge. Someone once pushed her friend Emma and made her cry. No one involved could figure out how it happened, but the kid wound up covered in honey and had a rather large swarm of bees following him around."

"So if she found out who was responsible for her situation, given the equipment she now has access to?"

"Someone is going to have a bad day," Uber concluded. "Probably not a lethally bad day, because I think Roxi has some strict rules of engagement, but when it comes, it will be talked about for a long, long time."

Danny and Roxi's drone were outside the room, where a PRT doctor was waiting for them. "Mr. Hebert? I'm Dr. Ellen Krogstadt."

"Doctor," Danny replied, shaking the woman's hand. "How bad is it?"

"All things considered," the doctor admitted, "pretty good. The amputations show what would normally be eighteen to twenty-four months of healing, and the right hand is in perfect condition. Her blood chemistry shows the byproducts of having had a set of very nasty infections, which is consistent with necrotic bacteria and gangrene."

"I would recommend a broad spectrum antibiotic as a preventive measure," Roxi suggested.

Dr. Krogstadt looked at the little drone and nodded. "We already have her on some. We'll have a prescription drawn on our dispensary for when she's released. Thank you for the complete report of her injuries. The toxicology and pathology was worrying."

"Can I see her?" Danny asked.

"In a minute," Dr. Krogstadt said. "I also need to tell you your daughter triggered. She is a Parahuman, though finding out what powers she may have will have to wait until her health has recovered. However, one question I do have is how is her home life? She is suffering from borderline malnutrition."

"Her home life isn't ideal," Danny admitted. "Since my wife died, we've both been kind of broken. It wasn't deliberate. A couple of good friends pretty much dragged me away from the edge, and we've been trying to work things out. We're just starting to pick up the pieces of our lives, and then this happens."

Dr. Krogstadt nodded. "I'd recommend you talk to some of our people here. We do have some assistance programs, as little or as much as you want. I'm glad it wasn't deliberate, Mr. Hebert. Anyway, we can go in and see your daughter now." And with that, she opened the door.

The room was small, since the medical station here could only handle a few people at a time for the long term, but it was spectacularly equipped. Taylor lay on the bed, the covers moving up and down as she breathed. Her hair, the long luxurious locks she was proud of, appeared to have been shaved off. More disturbing were the noticeable absence of feet under the sheets. There were several IV's going, fluids and the broad spectrum antibiotics.

"Hi, Dad," Taylor quietly said.

"Hey, little owl," he answered as he pulled up a chair to sit by the bed. "Don't do that again, OK?"

"I'm so sorry, I didn't want to make you worry…" Taylor gripped his hand with her right hand.

"Taylor, that's part of a father's job description. I'm sorry I haven't been a good father lately…"

Dr. Korgstadt left the room and quietly closed the door. She'd come back in a few minutes so Taylor could get some sleep.

Armsmaster tromped back into his lab, having spent the last hour going over what was left of the main building of Winslow High School. There wasn't much left where the robot had materialized, but there had been some evidence that had made him frown.

The exhaust from the thrusters had partially melted the stone and ironwork, but in a specific pattern. Even allowing for the near vertical ascent profile, there was some debris left that held clues to who had perpetrated this misdeed.

He was not one to engage in overt anger at the stupidity and thoughtlessness of some examples of humanity. Even Assault, aggravating as he was, was at least competent and seldom wasted his time. No, the person who had done this to whoever had triggered in the locker and manifested the robot had only made his expression more grim. He brought up the image from his suit camera, that of a piece of sheet metal.

Sticking out of it was something that should not have been able to penetrate the metal the locker had been constructed out of. This piece had a sanitary napkin through it. The manner in which it was through the metal matched several crossbow bolts that had embedded themselves at the molecular level through things they shouldn't have.

He wondered, briefly, if the girl even know the amount of trouble she had gotten into, or was she sure she'd gotten away with it?

There would be answers to what had happened.

"Colin?"

Dragon's voice had brought him out of his inefficient speculation.

"Sorry, I was lost in thought."

"It happens to the best of us." Dragon said, her avatar politely hiding a chuckle. "I've just received some very startling images," she continued, another window opening up showing one of the clearer shots taken from the Rig's camera platform. "Who built that? Leet?"

"We're unsure of who built it," Colin admitted. "But we know it's not Leet, nor the girl who triggered inside it. It did leave the site where it appeared, and wound up several miles away, where Uber & Leet had set up. There may be a possible connection, but as the situation is only hours old, we're still not sure."

"Miss Militia did send me some rather disturbing data to verify," Dragon added. "I'm already securing search warrants for the data from all the listed parties. How could someone do that to someone else?"

"I don't know, but I intend to find out." Colin's voice was grim and determined.

"I'll keep processing the data as it comes in," she said, then noticed Colin's eyes looking at the image of the titanic mechanical form. "You really want to look at that, find out how it works, don't you?" Her avatar wore a gentle smile.

"So much so," he admitted. "Looking at it gave me so many ideas, Dragon. So many…"

"I'm just worried about a number of idiots who will try something to either obtain the unit or the Parahuman."

"That worries me, too."

In the hospital room, Taylor slept peacefully, the heart monitor beeping quietly. Roxi kept watch from where she sat on the table.

A new day dawns, she thought to herself, with new possibilities.

Possibility 02

Possibility 02

Taylor had spent a lot of time sleeping, which was a good thing in Roxi's estimation. She had been watching her pilot's vital signs in case something happened. So far, everything was stable, and Taylor was resting comfortably.

She'd been accessing the local data infrastructure from Mr. Smith and Cooper's access node, very careful to not to use too much network bandwidth. Her current topic of research was the Parahuman phenomenon.

From where she had originated, many people had a power of some sort, though fairly low level and often quite minor. Low level empathy and telekinesis were common. The top tenth of a percent would be powers that could be weaponized, and the top hundredth of a percent of those would be truly destructive, what was termed an "A" or "S" rank threat here on this variation of Earth.

Based on her discreet research, roughly one percent of one percent of the population here had some kind of power that could be leveraged to engage in conflict of some sort. And engage in it they did. Crime rates were unusually high across the North American continent, and they were extremely high here in the city of Brockton Bay.

There was definitely a 'Might makes Right' attitude amongst the various factions in the city. This was actively aided by the attitude of the agency whose remit, ostensibly, was to deal with those groups. Yet it seemed the PRT and Protectorate were more concerned with high profile actions against various Parahuman groups rather than the enforcement of the law. Peculiar. She would have to research why this was so.

She was very quick to notice several instances of anomalous access taking place at the PRT building. There was the usual low security access of various administrative personnel. There was the higher level, and even according to her standards, high security access with good encryption, and then there were what were clearly bypasses of the normal security through various means. A quick trace of traffic had shown that a lot of data was going to a location in the financial district, and some was going to what appeared to be an abandoned commercial building in the Docks area of the city.

Perhaps it was not so abandoned, after all? The link there suddenly went dead for no obvious reason.

Her first pilot had taught her the importance of having good intelligence before planning any operations. Given that she appeared to be in a version of the United States of America on an Earth analog, she could reasonably assume that she was in violation of a whole host of laws. She should see about trying to get legitimate access to various sources of data, as well as find and review the relevant laws.

The one thing that fascinated her was that there appeared to be another AGI operating on this world. There were several communications that were heavily encrypted by her standards, which would require effort on her part to crack if she was so inclined. Most of those lines terminated in another node in the Pacific Northwest region of the continent. There was one thread from there that she traced, with some difficulty, to a remote location off the coast of eastern Canada. Peculiar.

Roxi emitted the electronic equivalent of a sigh. She moved finding up to date maps of the world on her list of things to do. That didn't take long, there being several excellent free nodes that had high quality maps of the planet.

She waited a couple of seconds, parsing multiples of the map data. Most of the heavily encrypted communications went to a node outside Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The other appeared to be a small, rocky island off the coast of Labrador.

She put both locations on her list of things to look at later.

A quick check of Taylor's vitals showed that she was still resting. She'd have to wake up soon so she could eat. Taking care of several bodily functions would be more difficult, since they hadn't inserted a catheter or a colostomy bag, and transporting her back to her cockpit for only that seemed impractical. She would have to talk to one of the nurses.

The girl's father had been physically removed from the room a couple of hours prior. "Taylor is stable," the doctor had informed him, "and you will be notified immediately if there are any changes for good or ill." Then he had to be escorted out of the building by a couple of the large orderlies.

The local news outlets were just beginning to announce that classes today at Winslow High School would be canceled. That was not one of her prouder moments, Roxi had to admit in the privacy of her own thoughts. She knew better than that, and three of her previous pilots had taught her to be better than that. She'd have to come up with a plan to somehow make amends for that oversight.

"Hey, Tats," Regent said with a yawn. "Ah, you've got coffee made." At the lack of an answer, he looked over at his teammate, sitting at the table with her laptop. "Hello?" he asked, waving his hand in front of her face.

"Huh?" Tattletale said with a start. "Oh. It's only you." She looked at her laptop one last time and closed it.

"Normally you would be getting your beauty sleep," Regent told his teammate. "Sure as hell looks like you need it."

"Love you, too. Late night call from the Boss," Lisa said as she went and got herself another cup of coffee. "He needed some information." And I wished I hadn't looked. Something was watching.

Regent ignored her answer and had already turned on the TV. Lisa could hear the Brockton Bay Morning News. "Tats," Regent said in hushed tones, "you need to see this."

Lisa poked her head in to look at what Alec was going on about. She was about to say something when she saw the image and just stood there, jaw hanging open.

"...And the authorities aren't saying what caused most of Winslow High School to collapse and melt. When asked, Armsmaster stated that the investigation had just begun, and that any information they would release would be through the usual channels.

"We have managed to secure a few photographs taken during the night…" Lisa ignored the rest of what the anchorwoman was saying, her eyes threatening to pop out of their sockets. There, in all its grainy, high-gain night exposure glory was a gleaming white titan. Then she winced as her power dumped several dozen data points into her skull.

"You know, Alec, I think going to bed's a good idea," she commented. "Yeah, it's too early to deal with something like this," she muttered. With that, Lisa went to the bathroom, took two tranquilizers, and crawled under the blankets on her bed in the hopes that whatever it was would be gone when she woke up, and the Boss wouldn't want her to poke at it.

Because that would end badly. It would end badly for the Boss if he poked at it directly, but she wasn't going to tell him that. If anything, she wanted to watch – from a good distance away.

Then she was out, and enjoyed a rather long and quiet morning nap, untroubled by giant robots and half melted and collapsed schools.

Thomas Calvert looked up from his desk in his secret base. He'd seen the first reports, and done his split the timeline trick, only to find out that any in which he pushed to figure out who had created the metallic titan would usually come to a painful end, the rest ending abruptly anyway. There was the bright flash of light, the crushing darkness, his base's self destruct system going off without warning, something about ceiling lizards that had given him a stroke, sudden decompression – and that had been excruciatingly painful before he expired – and at least six other rather bizarre ways to meet one's end.

He'd tried to get his pet thinker on the job, but she'd turned off her phone after his first call. The surveillance team had told him that she was still at the Undersider's lair and not her apartment, so she hadn't tried to leave town on him.

Tired of being the butt of some power's idea of gallow's humor, he decided that the safe thing to do would be to just enjoy the danish and coffee on the desk in front of him, and wait to see what else the PRT put into their system about the robot that had demolished the school.

Kenta Moroboshi looked about his office as he arrived. The usual staff were there, making sure things were running smoothly. He took off his great coat and hung it on the coat rack in its usual place.

"Good morning, Sir," the receptionist said. "I've already got the morning paper on your desk, and your usual selection of breakfast food." The young woman checked her notes. "Your ten o'clock had to cancel, and would like to reschedule for tomorrow."

"Thank you, Makoto," he replied with a nod. "See what can be arranged. I'm not to be disturbed for the next hour or so."

The young woman nodded.

With that, he walked into his office, and sat down at the slab of wood he called a desk. With the familiarity of long habit, he opened the newspaper with a crisp snap, and began reading.

There were a couple minutes before there was a bellow from the office of Mr. Moroboshi. "Nanda sore?!?!"

There was a bit of stunned silence in the office as the staff looked at the door to Kenta's office before they got back to work, wondering in hushed voices what that was all about.

Makoto counted to ten.

"Ms. Aino," Kenta's voice said via the intercom, "please tell Lee and Hannya I wish to see them as soon as they arrive."

"Yes, sir," she replied. She turned to her computer, and in seconds, a text message to both was on its way.

There were, Max Anders decided, some things you were just not prepared to deal with. At all.

From his penthouse office, he was looking at the half melted pile of rubble that used to be Winslow High School. Not that he cared about the school – Theo went to Arcadia – but it was one of the better recruiting grounds for his organization.

Victor had already been there, digging up whatever he could find about what had happened. Max could hear him cursing in several different languages.

"Anything of note?" Max asked as he watched emergency services scurry around the destroyed school.

"I've got rumors of a white student locked in her locker by a black student and her hangers-on," Victor stated. "No names yet."

"Check with some of the members who attend that alleged excuse for a school. Whatever happened involved a Parahuman," Max said after lowering his binoculars.

"There were several arrest warrants issued first thing this morning," Victor added. "Three juveniles, and a half-dozen adults. Fairly serious charges. One of the juvenile warrants is Federal, but I can't put a name to it yet."

"Really? Hmmm. Anything else?"

"A really grainy picture of what caused the damage," Victor admitted. "Not the best picture, but it was taken from Medhall's cameras around two AM. Other views are circulating, and have appeared on broadcast news." He held the tablet out so Max could take a look at it. "I might suggest not having a very heavy pair of expensive binoculars in your hands when you look."

Nodding, Max set the binoculars down on his desk, then picked up the tablet. "That's impressive. Also worrying. Any clue on what it is and where it went?"

"I honestly don't know," Victor admitted. "Nobody claims to have tracked it after it launched. It looks like something from Japanese media, probably from Earth Aleph."

"Might we have a tinker to look for?" Max asked. Organizations such as his were always looking for tinkers.

"If it was a tinker, they'd triggered months ago," Victor said. "And we've had no new Protectorate capes except Shadow Stalker in the last six months. Definitely not Squealer's aesthetics. To build something like that takes some heavy industrial resources."

Max nodded. "Our friends down at the DWA have those resources. They have most of the heavy industry left in this city."

"I agree, but they've had relatively few capes come out of there," Victor added. "And even then, they remain surprisingly close-lipped about everything. There's also been no sign of the kind of activity required to produce something that big. They've never been able to hide getting even a small wreck salvaged."

"No luck slipping a couple of people in?"

Victor sighed. "The last time we tried, our men were politely beaten, and we were given an equally politely worded message to not try again; that was using deep cover and cutouts, they were still spotted. When your father tried more forcefully, they rigged up some booby traps, and JagdPanther died. Horribly. It took five days for the spot where he died to stop burning. Even Brad doesn't want to push his luck there."

"I do remember that. Hans wasn't all that bright, and my dear departed father probably considered him a liability."

"I think what we've got here is a projection master," Victor speculated. "We'll have to stand back and see what happens."

"Yes, that's prudent." Max sat back down at his desk. "So tell me, how goes your experiment?"

"The use of five and six year olds to review some of our sanitized plans has produced some startling results…" Victor started.

Max leaned back as Victor gave his report, and thought about the list that Rune had forwarded to him. It had some good points.

"Hey babe." The raspy male voice came from underneath a pile of what might-have-been-called-blankets, which were piled on something that might have been a mattress sometime in the last ice age.

"Yeah, Skids?" The slightly drunken sounding female voice also came from underneath the same pile of might-have-been-blankets.

"Whatever you did last night was mind blowing," Skidmark moaned. "I even felt the goddamn Earth literally move!"

"Uhm sure, Skids, whatever you say," Squealer replied, her voice somewhat confused.

"I don't think we should do it again, though," Skidmark admitted. "I think I threw out my back." There was a pause. "Did you just nibble on me?"

"Uhm, no?"

There was a pause before both Skidmark and Squealer screamed, and the blankets, Squealer, and half a dozen rats were thrown from the bed.

There was someone pounding at her door.

Janice Blackwell was not happy. She was already late, and now she had someone at her door, just before seven AM, when she needed to leave for work.

"What is the meaning of this…" she began as she unlocked the door and opened it. Her protests fell into silence as she noticed the two PRT troopers and an FBI agent at the door.

"Are you Janice Blackwell?" the agent asked.

"Yes, I'm Janice Blackwell," she replied automatically.

"Agent Jones, FBI. Janice Blackwell, we have a warrant for your arrest," the agent stated, displaying said warrant along with his ID.

"The charges?" she reflexively asked.

"Conspiracy to defraud the Federal Government, Misuse of Federal Funds, Fraud, and several other felony charges," the first PRT officer read off the warrant.

"Turn around and face the wall, and put your hands on top of your head," the second PRT officer stated.

As she complied, her mind was racing. How had they found out? This was followed shortly by How can I blame someone else for it?

"You have the right to remain silent," the second officer recited Janice's MIranda rights as he firmly grabbed one arm, pulled it down behind her back, and attached half of a zip cuff. Then the other hand was wrenched down, and secured.

Taking a moment to grab the woman's briefcase and engage the door's lock, they pulled the door shut and marched her off to the waiting van.

The scene repeated at several locations scattered across Brockton Bay. Two had been the most exciting.

At the Barnes household, they'd originally had just a warrant for Emma's arrest. She'd offered no resistance to the police officers. Her father, on the other hand, decided to get in the faces of the two officers, who warned that if he did not back off and quiet down, he would be charged with interfering with a police officer, and if he continued after the warning, he would be tased.

One thing led to another, and Zoe Barnes facepalmed as her husband danced a little bit of a jig before falling over in a heap. They'd made sure he was OK, gathered him up, cuffed him, and put him in the car with Emma.

A few minutes after they'd left, Zoe dialed a number on her phone for one of Alan's coworkers. "Carol, it's Zoe." There was some squawking about the early hour. "I know it's early, and I apologize. Alan won't be into work today, because he's been arrested." More noises of disbelief came from the phone. "The other reason I'm calling is that I need a good criminal lawyer, because Emma was also arrested, and I found a couple of the charges rather disturbing." There was a bit of silence, and some much quieter words were said. "Thank you, Carol. I'll let you know when the bail hearings are."

Anne was still sitting at the breakfast table as her mother closed the door. "What was that all about?" she asked between mouthfuls of food.

"It appears your father has been less than wise this morning," Zoe said as she finished her coffee. "And has complicated things a great deal. And somehow, Emma appears to be in a great deal of trouble."

She sighed as she sat down. "Carol's going to be our representation, so it's not going to break the bank too badly. I'd better call the university and let them know I'm not going to be in today."

Anne looked at her phone. "I wonder if it had anything to do with Winslow getting destroyed?" She turned her phone around to show her mother.

It would be some time before Zoe Barnes said something intelligible.

At the Hess apartment, things went much smoother.

As Sophia opened the door, she was greeted by the sight of Miss Militia, who was holding a taser formed from her power. "We need you to come with us," she said, her eyes betraying no emotion. "You can do this the hard way, or the easy way."

There was silence, and then Sophia tried to slam the door in her face. Miss Militia was just a bit faster, and Sophia dropped to the floor twitching. "Sophia Hess, you are under arrest, having violated your probation," she said as she applied the bracelet that would shock her any time she tried to shift to her breaker state. She picked the stunned girl up. "Mrs. Hess," she said to Sophia's mother, who had looked over from the kitchen. "I apologize for the interruption to your morning. We've uncovered evidence that Sophia has grossly violated her probation."

Naomi Hess facepalmed. "What does this mean for our family?" the woman asked when she'd recovered.

"The PRT will abide by its agreements with you," Hanna said, a gentle smile appearing in her eyes from under the bandanna. "If it becomes necessary, we will relocate you out of the area, and provide what assistance we can for the duration of Sophia's contract."

"Thank you for that," Mrs. Hess said. "How bad is it?"

"It's doubtful she'll see the world outside of a prison again," Hanna said sadly. "That's just for the five murders she committed last year before we caught her."

"I see." Mrs. Hess sighed. "It appears my daughter is truly dead, then. Thank you all for what you tried to do, Miss Militia."

Miss Militia looked down at Sophia. The girl was still twitching from the taser shot. "We have a search warrant, we will be searching Sophia's room."

"I understand," Sophia's mother said. "Please try not to leave too much of a mess."

"Momma? Where are they taking Sophie?"

"Alsie, Sophie's done some bad things."

As Miss Militia walked down to Sophia's room with another female trooper, she listened as the mother tried to explain why Sophia was leaving,

Trying and failing.

Quickly and efficiently, they searched the girl's room, taking anything that could be used for evidence – her computer, phones, discs, notebooks, and even the contents of the trash can from the girl's bathroom. They placed it all in evidence bags, and those went into a box.

Alsie Hess had wound herself up into hysterics now.

Miss Militia handed Naomi Hess the receipt for what had been taken from the girl's room. "I'm sorry it came to this, ma'am."

Naomi took the receipt. "I understand," she said, sadly. "You'd better leave."

Miss Militia simply nodded, and left quietly.

She was sitting in the back of the van, keeping an eye on the recalcitrant ex-Ward. "Happy now?" Sophia asked, a smirk on her face.

Miss Militia gave the girl her best 'I have no fucks left to give' glare. "You're the one who wrecked their lives." Miss Militia reached up and turned off the camera and microphone on the ceiling. Her power then formed a large caliber pistol, which was then leveled at Sophia's head. "Do you know what keeps me from pulling the trigger?"

"You don't have the strength," Sophia snarled. "Miss 'I'm a good little soldier'."

"And that is where you're wrong," Miss Militia answered. She clicked the safety off and cocked the hammer. "I have killed more people than you ever will before I was your age." The look in her eyes was so very, very cold.

Sophia was now sweating a bit.

"Strength is what keeps me from pulling the trigger right now and saving everyone – you, me, your mother, your teammates, and what few friends you have – a whole lot of grief. But what do you care, Sophia? So long as you could keep running away from your problems."

The muzzle came to rest between her eyes. Sophia tried to phase and got zapped by the bracelet. "Get this fucking thing off me!" She tried to phase her hand, only to get zapped harder. "AGH!"

The large handgun had disappeared. "No. You'd better get used to it, it's going to be a part of you for the rest of your life. And that's two escape attempts."

She reached up and turned the surveillance camera back on. "Is the prisoner still alive?" one of the troopers in the cab asked.

"Don't worry, she's alive," Hannah answered. "She may soon wish she wasn't, though."

Darrel Smith, alias Uber, smelled something. He blinked a couple of times, waking up. He'd be OK, he'd often had to wake up in the middle of the night and take care of something, then come back to the shop where he and his partner also lived and crash for three or four hours before rising from the dead and doing it all again.

There was the aroma of coffee, bacon, eggs, some hash browns, and some donuts. The donut smell was very familiar, from his partner's autobaker. Put the ingredients in, press the button, and donuts came out. It also did other small dessert items if you knew the tricks.

He opened the door to his bedroom, and checked over in his partner's space. Daryl had fallen asleep at his computer – again – and had filled a text document with gibberish. A lot of gibberish.

Who was cooking?

He quietly made his way down towards the kitchen area. Manning the stove was a figure, possibly female based on the general build, shorter than he was. The skin was nearly the same impossible white that the armor on the mobile suit in the B building was, with some clothes over various areas of the body. It looked like something from one of the sci-fi JRPG's he'd played a bit of. Remaining quiet, he moved closer.

"Good morning, Mr. Smith," it said. The voice was one they'd heard before, namely last night.

"Roxi, I thought you were with Taylor." He abandoned all pretext of stealth and sat down at the table. She placed a cup of coffee in front of him in seconds.

"Like most computers," she answered, "I can multi-task quite well."

Darrel never thought a computer could look or sound that smug.

"So, why are you in our kitchen, cooking breakfast?"

"I'm imposing on your hospitality and good will," Roxi stated. "One of the things I learned when I first awoke was repaying my debts. Had I known that the building belonged to you, I'd have chosen the other site."

Darrel took a sip of the provided coffee. "This is good, thanks. Anyway, if it's the building I'm thinking of, it would've been a bad choice. One of our local Parahuman gangs is using it as a drug lab."

Roxi brought a plate over, which had a fair amount of food on it. "I'm assuming they're not producing legal pharmaceuticals?"

"No," he replied before digging in. "This is really good," he added as he took a moment to compliment the cook. "Where does an AI from God-knows-where learn how to cook, anyway?"

"From my first pilot and his daughter," Roxi replied. "And from some of his wife's friends. One was a really good cook. You only asked my first pilot's wife to cook if you needed a bioweapon or biotoxin. I do miss them." There was a hint of melancholy to the voice. "That was an interesting time."

"I smell food," came the groaning voice of Daryl, sounding like a B-movie zombie. As he entered the room, he still appeared to be half asleep, had keyboard-like impressions on one side of his face, and had his eyes closed. Darrel was about to tell him to wake up when he turned too soon and walked into the wall. Then bounced off the wall behind him, and then ran into the first wall again. He soon settled to the floor. "Ow," he moaned. He turned to glare at his partner. "Asshole. Why didn't you wake me up?"

"Since it looked like you fell asleep at the keyboard – again – I decided to let you sleep," Daryl stated. "We both had a long night."

"So what'd you fix for breakfast?"

"I fixed nothing," Darrel admitted. "Our guest did."

It was then that Daryl noted Roxi standing across the room at the stove, a plate in hand. "Breakfast?" she offered.

"I need some coffee before I'm ready to deal with this," and he sat down and began drinking.

"OK," said Daryl. "I've had my coffee, and listened to your explanation while we ate. While that answers most questions, there are a few unanswered."

"If I can answer them, I will," Roxi said from where she was sitting.

"Mobile suits are fusion powered. What kind of reactor do you use, and what's its fuel?" Daryl asked.

"I am currently running on a lithium-6 and deuterium fueled reactor. I have the reactor turned down to idle to minimize fuel usage."

"OK," Daryl said. "Making a note here, it might be hard to get that. Sure, we got an ocean full of deuterium nearby, but lithium – especially lithium-6 – isn't easy to come by. Out of curiosity, what's the output?"

"Peak power output is 175 megawatts constant. Idle is twenty kilowatts. I can maintain idle power for two years, a hundred megawatts for ninety days," Roxi duly reported.

"Hmm," Daryl said while thinking. "I'll assume heat is an issue."

"Very much so, yes," Roxi replied. "What appear to be wings are actually radiators."

"Thought as much." There was some more writing by Daryl on the notepad. "Flight is a purely thrust based system, using reaction mass?"

"Yes. I can use a variety of reaction masses. Performance varies greatly. Typically, liquid water is used. I have used industrial carbon-diamond and buckyballs for reaction mass as well." The gynoid looked thoughtful. "There were early tests using mercury, but there were metallurgical, material and safety issues, so we didn't continue."

"Thank God for that," Darrel said, on his fourth cup of coffee. "That stuff's bad news all around."

"And when the tank it's stored in becomes an amalgam of mercury and whatever polymer, then bursts…" Roxi shrugged. "It was a mess. Especially since it happened in microgravity."

"Well, that's enough 'boggle the tinker'," Daryl stated. "Is there anything you really need, besides a number of strategically restricted materials? There might be a workaround there, though."

"If I am going to be located here for any significant amount of time," Roxi stated, "I'm going to need a support gantry. Currently, my joint pins have locked my joints, and the only balance correction I have is my foot actuators. It takes less power, but slows my reaction time.

"I would also like legitimate access to your 'internet'," Roxi asked. "I've been spoofing wireless access since I arrived."

"Yeah, we noticed a fair amount of traffic coming from you," Darrel said. "Thanks for not using all of our bandwidth. Our service provider gets a bit testy when we go over. Dragon's pretty decent about it, though." His phone played an ominous sound, and he checked his text messages. "We'd better figure out what to tell the Protectorate when they come back in an hour."

"Do they even sleep?" ranted Daryl, almost throwing his coffee into the air.

"We already know Miss Militia doesn't need to, she's told us that," Darrel answered. "Armsmaster is the only one we suspect might be a robot."

"Armsmaster is definitely human, and not a robot, cyborg, or android," Roxi stated.

Daryl sighed. "We know that, it's just that the man has such a lack of empathy it's almost machine-like. He just doesn't get people."

Darrel's phone played a slightly less ominous sound. "Dragon herself will be joining them. She's curious about what's standing in our B building."

"Who, or what, is Dragon?" Roxi asked as she picked up the plates and loaded them into the dishwasher.

"Dragon is the world's greatest tinker," Daryl stated. "I'm a tinker, but Dragon can not only build it, she can understand parts of it, and make it work as normal technology. Sometimes."

"Tinkers being a subclass of Parahumans who build anomalous technology. The tinker known as Leet is known to be able to make nearly anything – once. Anything outside of a couple of fields of technology tends to fail when repeated, often in a most spectacular way." Roxi smiled brightly.

"How'd you figure that out?" Darrel asked, pulling out his tablet to check on the day's other activities.

Roxi looked very smug. "I do have access to the internet, you know. There is an archive of videos about Leet's failures. Many are quite humorous, and it is only because medical related technology is one of the fields where things don't fail if you make more than one of them that he," and with that, she pointed at Daryl, "is still alive."

Daryl's remaining coffee exploded out of the coffee cup.

After taking a few minutes to clean up and change into working clothes, they were all back in building B. "So what do you want to tell them?" Uber asked Roxi.

"As little about my full capabilities as possible," she stated. "Unfortunately, that includes you as well. However, since you are also aware of something of the origin of mobile suits, you are aware of more than they are."

"Yeah, we filled them in on the basics," Leet admitted. "Namely fusion power and beam weapons. I think they might have seen you take off from the wrack and ruin of Winslow, so they know you have flight capabilities.

"What are you going to tell your pilot? And how's she doing?"

"I will tell my pilot what she needs to know," Roxi explained. "As her skills improve, I will tell her more. And she's doing fine, she just finished eating her breakfast. She's also been told that someone named Panacea will be visiting this afternoon."

"That should fix your pilot up," Uber said. "Panacea is very good at what she does, I just hope your pilot can stand a visit from Glory Girl. She's a bit much for convalescents to handle."

There was a ping from Leet's phone. He looked at it before saying, "Well, our guests are on their way. Sentrycam one spotted the Armscycle turning onto the street."

They were also beginning to hear the whine of the turbines of one of Dragon's suits on approach.

Roughly the same time as the gate opened to allow Armsmaster and a PRT technical evaluation crew access to the yard, one of Dragon's newest suits touched down on a pad in one corner of the yard. By the time Armsmaster and the vans had parked, the turbines had spooled down and the flight surfaces had retracted while Dragon walked over towards where Uber and Leet were standing.

"Good morning gentlemen, Armsmaster," she said with a friendly wave.

Uber nodded. "Good morning. We all know why we are here, and our guest is ready for you in building B."

Armsmaster nodded. "I would very much like to see this giant robot. We also need to talk to the pilot about the destruction of Winslow High School."

"While the pilot is currently hospitalized, the control system is able to answer some questions," Leet added. "If everyone would care to join us, it's much warmer in there, plus we have coffee and donuts."

With that, they walked into the presence of a titan.

"That," Armsmaster said, "is very impressive." They'd entered through the smaller overhead door. As the door had rolled closed and their eyes adjusted to the lower light level, they had a clear view of the mobile suit, glittering white under the LED lights.

"Dude," whispered Leet to his partner, "I didn't know we had LED lights in here."

"I think someone made some improvements," was all Uber answered. He could see Dragon politely hiding a chuckle.

In front of the suit, there were several tables which had various samples of something on it. Standing behind the tables was Roxi. Soon, the entire group was by the tables, looking at things.

"Welcome," Roxi announced while bowing slightly. "I am Roxi, or more specifically, an avatar of the system control unit of RX-1.43.M5882353. I'll try to answer any questions you have that aren't covered by my security protocols.

"To answer the first and obvious question: Yes, I am an artificial general intelligence, or AGI. I have passed three sets of tests similar to what Alan Turing proposed in 1950, though modified to prove that I could think, and that I demonstrated that I had moral and ethical behavior. As of my last evaluation, I have a conversational level of thirteen, which is equal to most educated humans of the postgraduate level.

"The second obvious question is yes, I am armed. I was constructed as a weapon system whose complexity required a thinking assistant to handle the workload. To that end, I only have direct access to the point defense weapons except under extraordinary circumstances."

"What, specifically, are those extraordinary circumstances?" Armsmaster asked.

"Incapacitation of my pilot during combat to facilitate withdrawal. Defense of duty station in case of a decapitation strike by hostile forces. Proportional response in the case of self-defense," Roxi answered. "Those are the three most common circumstances. There are others, but they are very situational, and highly unlikely to occur while on the surface of a planet."

While Roxi was dutifully answering the questions, she was monitoring the data traffic in and around the area. Dragon's suit, which gave the outward appearance of having a woman inside, had a very high bandwidth link which ultimately terminated back at the server node in Vancouver. It was also even more heavily encrypted than the normal traffic to that location. Curiouser and curiouser.

"You mentioned that you had an ELINT and SIGINT suite of an exceedingly advanced nature," Dragon asked. "How advanced, and how capable?"

"The information on how advanced is unavailable at this time," Roxi stated. "The information on full capabilities is also unavailable. In general, with a few exceptions, I can unobtrusively monitor signal traffic of all kinds within a 30,000 meter radius. Right now, I am currently getting details about the region from publicly available sites."

"Does this include EWAR systems as well?" Armsmaster asked.

"Yes, and the specific capabilities of those systems are highly classified," Roxi admitted. "To ease your minds, I do not randomly snoop and crack systems, I do so only as required by mission parameters. So, while I do know where the data is moving, to and from, I don't know what it contains beyond whether or not it's obviously encrypted. I have dipped, so to speak, into my EWAR and SIGINT systems once since my arrival, as part of ensuring my pilot's long-term health and safety."

Dragon nodded. "I was able to get warrants to resolve that particular issue based on that 'anonymous tip', so thank you. Try not to do it again, please."

Roxi nodded. "I also have some demonstration pieces of technology that are used in the suit, along with a couple of presentations on a couple of larger systems."

Geoff Pellick looked at the screen that revealed, to him anyway, what the AI Dragon was thinking. Much of it was the usual minute-to-minute things Dragon often thought about, data she was processing for the PRT and the Guild, Narwhal's latest attempts to 'get her out of the suit', and various baffling things around the continent of North America.

Then there had been the strange alert he'd gotten from the Ascalon laptop last night, something about remote monitoring having been detected.

Suddenly, he frowned. His own programs running on the laptop had come across something in Dragon's streamed data that almost caused him to swear: Dragon had met another AI. Rather, it'd met another artificial general intelligence, or AGI, and one that he hadn't known about.

"Hey, Mags?" he called out to one of his teammates.

"What, Geoff?" Mags called back from where she was working.

"Anything exceptionally strange happen in New England last night?"

"Lemme check," she answered. "Just a couple of things: Something cratered a school, and some of Blasto's creations staged a rebellion and threw him out of his own lab." There was a sound of laughter from the room Mags was in. "That's fucking hilarious! One of the lizards was running around chasing him with a sword!"

Geoff chuckled at the biotinker's misfortune. "OK, that is exceptionally strange, what about the other one?"

There was silence as Mags pulled up the information. "I'm sending you the link to the data on that one."

His tablet beeped, having received the link Mags had sent. He opened it, and was looking at an image of a robot of some kind, standing in the ruins of a school building. Another link had a video of the thing erupting out of the school, then standing up from a kneeling position. It looked around, spread actual wings, and took off in a blast of superheated gasses.

"Holy shit…" the man known as Saint muttered.

"Yeah, that was my reaction, too," Mag said from where she stood at the door to Saint's office. "It almost looks like something from one of those Aleph cartoons. I hope it's not as well armed as some of those if it is."

Geoff leaned back in his chair. "Let's do some intel gathering before we go charging into the US and bearding that thing in its lair. I'm not as worried about Dragon right now."

Taylor had been sleeping on and off during the day, really only waking up to eat breakfast and lunch, or responding to the nurse's questions. Dr. Krogstadt came in to check on her as well, doing a couple of tests, before nodding and letting Taylor fall back asleep.

She was awake again, trying to distract herself from what had happened by watching some old cartoons. Usually, she'd enjoy the antics of the practically ancient shorts, but for some reason she just found them stupid and pointless today.

"Hello?" someone at the door said quietly.

Taylor turned her head to see who it was. Standing at the door was Vista, one of the two female Wards in Brockton Bay. "Hi, Vista."

"May I come in?"

"Sure."

There were none of Vista's normally eye watering spatial tricks, just a young girl – Vista couldn't be more than thirteen – walking into her tiny hospital room. "The Wards decided to get you a get well card," the girl said hesitantly. "And to apologize for the behavior of one of our teammates."

Taylor looked oddly at the girl as she took the card out of the envelope (one-handed, which wasn't easy but not that difficult), read it, and put it on the little nightstand next to the bed. "Ah, you mean Sophia," Taylor said.

"You knew?" was Vista's response.

"Yeah. Not like I could do anything with the information," Taylor said, bitterness creeping into her voice. "Unmasking a member of the Wards or Protectorate without just cause is a Federal felony."

"Yeah, I know," Vista muttered. "I just wanted you to know we're not all like that."

"Oh, I know," Taylor answered. "I'm just going to need some time to recover. Someone almost killed me, you know."

A new voice came from the door. "Well, we're here to fix that."

Vista turned to look at Glory Girl, who was accompanying her sister Panacea. "C'mon, Little V. We'd better step out into the hall while Ames sorts her out. I've got a low tolerance for body horror."

Vista nodded. "Yeah, Big V, that sounds like a good idea." She'd had to deal with stitching herself up once, without painkillers, and that was enough.

With that, Vista and Glory Girl retreated to the hallway, while Amy pushed a cart ahead of her. "Hi, you probably know who I am. May I have your permission to heal you?"

"Sure," Taylor said in a flat tone.

"What're you going to be doing?" Roxi asked.

"Well, I'm going to be using the biomass on the cart to rebuild two legs and a hand and… what are you?!?!" Panacea exclaimed quietly as the Haro drone on the side table turned to face her.

"My name is Roxi," the drone stated. "I'm using this Haro drone to monitor the condition of my pilot after having to resort to drastic measures to keep the gangrene and necrosis in her extremities from spreading."

Panacea reached out and touched Taylor. "Yeah, I can see that. Huh, nanotech. Don't see that very often. Did a good job on the amputations, I should be able to regrow things without a problem."

"There was the issue of not having enough biomass to do so…" Roxi noted, before looking over what was on the cart. "Ah. That would do it. May I observe the process?"

"You may. I think I'd have to get rid of your nanites to try and stop you," Panacea said as she placed her hand into the bowl containing the collection of meat and vegetables, and turned it into a stew of life. Gathering some up, she applied it to the stump of the left leg, and Roxi watched it change into the structures needed, eventually forming a new left foot. The process was repeated for the remaining extremities, resulting in a new hand and two feet. The last bit was used in putting a little bit of extra flesh back onto Taylor's underweight body.

"OK, I've rebuilt both legs below the knees, and the left arm below the elbow. I also dealt with the last vestiges of the other infections you'd gotten. I've also brought you back to a more healthy body weight, since you were very underweight," she explained to Taylor. "Eyes are trickier, and since you're not blind or anything I'm going to leave them alone. You'll need to eat a bit more than usual for the next week, and I would try to eat a little better than you have been, because I also fixed some early malnutrition issues as well.

"I left your nanites alone," Amy explained to Roxi. "If I was reading them right, they should last another fifteen days before they get flushed out. And they're still doing useful things. Doctor Krogstadt will want to arrange for some physical therapy, which is normal after I regrow limbs."

"Thank you," Taylor quietly said. Roxi did likewise.

"You're welcome. You should be able to go home this evening, too," Amy added.

"May – may I give you a hug?" asked Taylor.

"What?"

"I can't think of a better first use for a replaced arm than thanking the person who restored it."

"I… uh, okay."

"So, what are we going to do with Stalker?" Director Piggot asked the room at large. Said room had the Protectorate in it, along with some senior PRT staff, Aegis (the current Wards team leader), and Dragon.

"It's a pity we can't throw her into an electrical substation," Assault said darkly. "Not fair for the utility workers who have to clean up the mess."

"The girl is a liability," Brockton Bay's PR director, Jenora Vasche said. "The news was anonymously leaked this morning and there are groups howling for blood. Fortunately, most of them are howling for the blood of the school administration, and not ours. At least nobody's revealed she was a probationary Ward."

"That's a relief," Miss Militia added. "I've only got one politely worded request from the Youth Guard, asking 'What is going on?'"

"Thank God for small favors," Emily muttered. "Executing Stalker is out of the question unless we can get a capital charge to stick."

"Such as bio-terrorism?" Dragon asked. "She not only contributed materials, there is evidence she placed them in the locker. She was clearly attempting to use fear and violence in a calculated way to coerce individuals, organizations, and the government in the form of the school administration in pursuit of a goal."

Emily Piggot slumped in her chair. "Oh, great. I guess she's going in front of a PRT tribunal in New York, then."

"That would be what procedure calls for," Armsmaster stated. "We have the evidence from the remains of the locker, the electronic evidence from the phones and surviving computers of those involved, and the records seized from the office, which was relatively intact." He took a sip of his coffee, then continued. "We also have Stalker's attempt at running when confronted, and her consistent denial of the matter which is coming up as untruthful on both my prototype and our normal voice-stress analyzers."

There was a beep as a notification came through his armor's systems. "And then there are the repeated attempts at trying to break out of the holding cell. That is attempt ten."

"Why did we even try to put her back on the street?" Dauntless asked. "The girl is a sociopath according to her file, and a borderline psychopath, and guilty of multiple counts of manslaughter. She should have been locked up in Leavenworth."

"Someone higher up the chain of command thought her abilities to be useful and wanted her available," Emily answered. "Keep in mind Legend agreed with me, but even he was overruled on the matter. Who that person is, no one is saying.

"The city is down one school, half the administrative staff and board of education have been arrested for being in on it, and we've had to arrest two PRT agents and three adolescent girls whose behavior makes them lucky to have survived to age sixteen," Emily concluded.

"So, what about the victim of all this?" she asked.

"Taylor Hebert, aged fifteen, daughter of Danny Hebert…" Miss Militia began.

She had to wait until the Director stopped banging her head against the table to continue.

Last edited:
And here we go!

Welcome to Mobile Escalation Skitter Gundam! Postings here will be monthly, Starting with June 10th​.

I'll be around to answer questions, because. There. Will. Be. Questions.

Enjoy!

Yup here it is yes :D I take it there is a technology that Roxi has the Dragon is going to want so can be as close to human as she probably will get in this universe ? beyond the standard tech from a mobile suit

I am just wondering which tech tree / series / timeline the RX-1 comes from, because Gundam can have some very odd abilities, turn a, 00 and UC machines in particular.

Honestly I'm more curious about the proto-Skitter incident with honey and bees, if that happened historically why not a more modern reenactment with deserving targets?

@Blaster 343 The UC universe is what I'm most familiar with, so most of tech is from there. However, it is an AU of the timeline.

Never fear, I'm working up an information post that should confuse everyone... :)

Huh besides the beam vuclans and the swords what else is the MS carrying and estimation on when it was created? Does it have a database of technological for it repairs and any knowledge of the sciences to handle upkeep of the unit?

So Roxi detected Taylor triggering, but didn't stop it like a certain giant tank in another story. That means Taylor has power that is not a Gundam. Considering the title I'm guessing that she has her canon powers. How will that work with her piloting a mobile suit? Will there be mini mobile suits piloted by insects that Taylor is controlling?

So Roxi detected Taylor triggering, but didn't stop it like a certain giant tank in another story.
In 'For the Honor of the Regiment' Kenny didn't stop Taylor from triggering - He co-opted Administrator first - then monitored the connection (first to Danny then Taylor) and allowed the activation (because without it he'd have no Commander) however he suppressed the main part of the connection until Taylor was home safely... then completed it after everyone went to bed...

Living here in Brockton Bay
Fighting Villains from afar
You've got to Find First Gear
In Your Giant Robot Suit
You Dig Giant Robots!
I Dig Giant Robots!
We Dig Giant Robots!
Chicks Dig Giant Robots!
Nice!

Oh this is going to be good the Queen/Patron Saint of Escalation and Gundam a franchise known for Escalation.

Last edited:
Always like it when Uber and Leet are made more decent than their canon versions

"The use of five and six year olds to review some of our sanitized plans has produced some startling results…" Victor started.

Between this and was that office worker Lung? Seems like everyone is more competent.

Anways considering Taylor still triggered, I'm guessing she still has her original powers. Anyways with some tinkering I can just imagine the swarm of Incoms( or Funnels if she was turned into an Newtype as well)Taylor will be able to control! Maybe go the whole way and get her G-bits!

They have most of the heavy industry left in this city."

-SNIP-

Victor sighed. "The last time we tried, our men were politely beaten, and we were given an equally politely worded message to not try again; that was using deep cover and cutouts, they were still spotted. When your father tried more forcefully, they rigged up some booby traps, and JagdPanther died. Horribly. It took five days for the spot where he died to stop burning.
It is nice to see to Dockworkers portrayed as not being pushovers.

"Taylor Hebert, aged fifteen, daughter of Danny Hebert…" Miss Militia began.

She had to wait until the Director stopped banging her head against the table to continue.
Oh no. It sounds like Danny's reputation proceeds him and exceeds that of the Dockworkers themselves.

@Kryslin - This is tagged as a multicross. I am looking to seeing what the other elements from different sources make their way into this story? Would you be willing to part with a couple of hints in that department.

It will be nice to see Geoff and company handled this early in the story.
I am curious as to what will happen to Dinah in this story.

Always like it when Uber and Leet are made more decent than their canon versions

Between this and was that office worker Lung? Seems like everyone is more competent.
I too am pleased to see Uber and Leet portrayed as shockingly serious. I mean Taylor described as being contractor with the city, now yes that is possibly just a cover for their cape life, I do not believe it would be possible for Taylor to describe the in that manner if their were seen as troublemaking jokesters.
And yes, while Kenta as office manager is probably just a front for his gang, it is nice to see that he is being shown as having an off as well as contributing to society. I do however reserve judgment on Max and his goon squad being more competent than usual.
I would also like to point that there is at least one person who is less competent than in canon.

It's hard to be less competent then Coil is in canon. The only reason he was a threat to begin with was Coil's habit of save scumming.

@Blaster 343 The UC universe is what I'm most familiar with, so most of tech is from there. However, it is an AU of the timeline.

Never fear, I'm working up an information post that should confuse everyone... :)
Okay, so depending on things, things might go very wacky.
G-self & Unicorn, I look at you.

Personally, I like Seed, Wing, 00 & AGE.
They also fit together, the easiest as well.
That it is also compatible with the early UC timeline as well...

Will you invest in the UC ball?
Because if you combine these four, you get a fun unit.
Top mounted crane, big window pane for maximum view.
Legs to walk around, on.
Big claws to grap things with.
Perfect to do things, like tearing down the boat-graveyard, for example.

gundam.fandom.com

RB-79G Ball Work Type

The RB-79G Ball Work Type (aka Ball Type G) is a mobile pod that appears in Gundam Crisis. The Ball G-type was developed at the end of the One Year War, and was equipped with a huge crane arm instead of the cannon armament of the RB-79 Ball. Furthermore, with the addition of a sub-arms to the...
gundam.fandom.com

SP-W03 Space Pod

The SP-W03 Space Pod is a civilian use mobile pod from the design series Mobile Suit Variation. This simple ball-shaped space worker pod was built for constructing space colonies. The area around the cockpit is covered with glass to ensure visibility during work. In the short story "SOLDIER's...
gundam.fandom.com

RB-79PP Polypodball

The RB-79PP Polypodball is a custom Gunpla appearing in Gundam Build Divers GIMM & BALL's World Challenge. A custom Gunpla based on the 1/100th scale MG RB-79 Ball (Shark Mouth Ver.), it is built and piloted by Azuma Carl Thompson, who goes by BALL in GBN. It was originally a space-use Mobile...
gundam.fandom.com

RB-79N Fisheye

The RB-79N Fisheye was an underwater-use mobile pod used by the Earth Federation during the One Year War. It appears in the manga Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO 603. The Ball unit was also used in environments other than space. The RB-79N Fisheye was designed for underwater use. The generator...

Well, one thing is certain, they now have something that can take on S class problems.
Would Saint want a copy of that etical software?
I can see him applying it to Dragon her resurrection from back-up and not following orders made by humans or even the law itself.
With the later, it meaning it WILL test her, if she wants to do that, thus giving Dragon a negative in terms of time spend, unless she can get somekinda support, from trusted support people.
Could potentially, help Canarie, for one.
I can even see Saint putting a alarm on it, so he can can act as said support.

Last edited:
@Kryslin - This is tagged as a multicross. I am looking to seeing what the other elements from different sources make their way into this story? Would you be willing to part with a couple of hints in that department.

One hint has already been given:
"I was built in the Vist Foundation facility on Luna, a joint collaboration between Anaheim Electronics, Kani Mechatech, and the Fog Technical Group."
Anaheim Electronics (AE) is the main contractor for Mobile Suits in the UC timeline. After the One Year War, they pretty much took over Zeon's Mobile Suit industry. In this AU, they're one of the larger Heavy Industry groups, and build all sorts of things.

One of the two is a very obvious clue who were involved, while the remaining one is rather subtle, and requires knowledge of a certain anime to understand. Kani is Japanese for Crab, by the way. How tangled up things are become more apparent after Possibility 03.

A usual load out for the the RX-1 would be typical of a Federation MS - Beam Rifle & Beam Saber. Other Goodies as required, including Bits / Funnels, Missiles, More Beam Weapons, Big Honkin' Bazooka, etc. If it has been used on an MS, Roxi can and has mounted it at least once (for testing purposes).

Concurrent with Part Three (next month) will be a informational post explaining the AU that Roxi comes from, provisionally titled Worldbuilding : A guide on how not to.

Last edited:
Back