[Mature] Lacmere University – A Tale of Chivalry, Monstergirls, and Tuition

Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Fencing can be a lot of things.
It can be a sport that you're good at, a scholarship, the key to get you into a mysterious college in the Pacific Northwest with centuries of tradition behind.
It can be a link to a romanticized past, one that exists only in inked pages and the minds of children turning sticks into weapons of legend.
Or, when you step into shadowed halls crowded with people who don't belong, when you meet those that should no longer walk the earth, when you find yourself mired in fantasy and myth…
It can be the key to survive.
And, sometimes, to romance.
Chapter 1: Sabers at Dawn (or Afternoon, if That's Too Inconvenient) [6.8k Words]
Lacmere University – A Tale of Chivalry, Monstergirls, and Tuition

Prelude

The forest that surrounds Lacmere's campus is wilder than it has any right to be.

There are the expected evergreen Douglas firs with their penetrating odor, and some tall maples stand out from the conic trees, as well as some red cedars that contribute to the tapestry with their fragrant wood. Dark green mixes with the fiery colors of autumn, and the well-maintained trail I'm on is a carpet of decomposing leaves, wetly crunching under my bare feet.

Once, years ago, I wouldn't have dared walk like this in a forest. I would've been fussy about my blackened soles, my tanned skin marred with streaks of rich loam.

Now…

"You're enjoying yourself," the dean of the college I work for says with a slight, subdued smile.

I am.

Two women walking in the woods, one of them a tall blonde with the kind of beauty of a wheat stalk in the summer, bending in just the precise way to keep pace with the other, shorter one, the woman with green hair cut in a short, razor bob that disguises my unnatural color as a fashion choice rather than what I started becoming…

Long ago.

Long enough that I should be much older than I am.

Two women walking into the heart of deep, dark woods, past colorful mushrooms and clusters of crimson berries clinging to shadowed bushes. It should be the start of a horror movie.

There's even a monster here.

Or…

I look at the dean. At the woman who hasn't aged a day since she came looking for me and took me to this place where my skin darkened, and my hair turned green.

There's at least one monster here.

"We're near," she says, unnecessarily filling our comfortable silence, the one that's been born out of decades of working together.

And she's telling me about my—about our forest.

There's no need for it.

Except…

Except she takes a turn widdershins, between the unnatural arch below the branches of two umbrella pines that only look out of place in here if you know what to look for, that most students, even the biology ones, wouldn't think twice about their growing in the middle of a Pacific Northwest forest.

As we go through, another path appears, and this is the one we need to follow to reach the heart of the forest.

An oak.

Taller and older than anything in here, the bark is…

It's cracked grey, a tracery of shadows, yes, but… but it's also something deeper. Something that beats calm and steady, like the very forest sleeps, and the oak lulls it deeper with the rhythm of bark shifting yet remaining still under the motes of light raining down on it.

As always, as every year since my employment, I stand at the edge of the clearing that the giant occupies and watch as the tall, slender, eerie woman steps forward with a hand already stretched to touch my—to touch the ancient oak.

Her eyes slowly lid in what could be fondness, her lips lift up at the corners, heartbreakingly away from the mischief and joy she can display at times, and my boss slowly leans forward to rest her forehead against bark that is smoother than it looks, the entire scene wavering like the inside of a dream as golden haze rises from the ground in a way that was easy to ignore the first few times I witnessed it but that keeps being more evident with every year that passes.

With every year that my bare soles on dry leaves bring me a sense of ease I never felt growing up in the streets of Chicago, barren of all but the barest traces of greenery that I didn't know were so important to me.

To the lineage I wasn't aware of.

Until she came for me and told me.

"We were so young. So careless…" she mutters, not for my ears.

I wait, watching the heart-achingly beautiful display of serene pain, and let her… be herself. Like she rarely is when she puts up her mask.

Then, as the sun lowers to shine mottled, erratic gold past the canopy and over us, she finally turns back to me, and the smile turns slightly bitter. The first time, she had to explain what was expected of me.

Now I step forward until I'm by her side with my own hand stretched in front of me to touch ancient, cracked, grey bark, softer than it has any right to be, like the skin of a sleeping lover, reassuring in its presence.

It beats under me. And the beat quickens.

"Thank you, Chloe," she says.

"There's no need for that," I tell her with a reassuring smile, waiting for her to lay her hand atop mine and perform the ceremony we always have since I stopped being a clumsy, airheaded girl wondering why it was so hard to focus and became…

Me.

The me I had always been meant to be.

Her palm is unnaturally warm on the back of my hand, but it doesn't burn. It's like the summer sun. Like light playing across the crests of the waves of golden wheat turned into an ocean by a playful breeze. It's… life itself.

And it washes through me.

Through me and through my second heart. The heart of the forest. The heart of Lacmere.

My binding is redone. I can feel the threads of magic more keenly than ever before, my attunement to this other world steadily growing with every time the enchantment is reapplied as I find it easier to dive past the tall trunk and into the hidden web of dark roots spread deep below the earth, past wet, black loam and into the very rock beneath, granite cracking under the persistence of wood older than anything that surrounds us.

There's… a pattern. A circle that blooms into symbols I don't yet understand, that spirals around the entire campus and the surrounding forest. A circle that echoes like ripples in the lake by the side of the library, and that is engraved in every reaching root spun from the wood of an old oak.

There's an entire world underground made up of the roots of a tree turned into a spell, and that's where my mind goes, my boss working through me, her magic caressing the inside of my veins, making me gasp as life itself, as my life becomes woven art and wordless poetry.

As my mind gets diluted into a calm ocean of green and I find the focus I never did as a distracted young girl.

Then… Then it's done. The minute adjustments I can barely notice on the great work, the guidance of new growth gently herded into the old pattern, the…

My mind goes back to my other—to my body, and her hand holds me steady.

Like it has every year since she found me.

Since she remade me.

"Let's go. I think this will be an interesting year," she says with a twinkle of mischief in her eyes.

I answer with my own smile, something that I've had the chance to practice and perfect over countless hours guarding her office from regular students and from the other ones.

Lacmere, like my forest, works in seasons. It, sometimes, can pass as a regular place of learning, one where people interested in sports other than the more popular ones gather under the guidance of a board known for its eccentricities.

Then there are the years when the fencing club is filled with… them.

This will be one of those years.

And the dean is looking forward to it.

Remembering who, precisely, is about to enroll…

So do I.

Chapter 1: Sabers at Dawn (or Afternoon, if That's Too Inconvenient)

There's a lot to like about fencing. It's a good sport that relies on your brain as much as it does on your muscles. High-speed chess, a friend of mine who's never played a game of chess in his life once called it.

There's also… quite a bit to dislike.

Like, for instance, the protective equipment is necessarily thick, and that makes you sweat.

A lot.

There's… the amount of sweat can't easily be overstated. Like, at this very moment, as I ready myself to face Lucca Costantini, the current prodigy of my college's team, in a saber bout? I'm sweating like a hentai antagonis—pig. I'm sweating like a pig!

And just… that's just because of the exertion from my earlier bouts and the constant presence of a padded jacket that I only partially unzip for expedience's sake rather than go through the semi-arduous process of removing it after every bout.

Yup. It's just because of my lacking athleticism and peculiar, inborn aversion to heat.

Because of that, and absolutely nothing else.

"Pret? Allez!" Patrick says in pointlessly flawless French rather than state a mere 'Ready? Go!' like a peasant.

And maybe I'm a tad too distracted by my not-at-all misplaced frustration, seeing as my mask unexpectedly twangs in a laconic, metallic herald of defeat when Lucca is suddenly in front of me after a jump-advance-lunge combination that I'm too distracted to properly react to.

"I wasn't ready!" I complain like a bitch to his retreating back as he walks back to his starting position on the fencing strip as Patrick shoots me a flatly unimpressed stare—something that is, now that I think of it, actually unwarranted because he didn't wait for me to tell him that I was ready.

"Don't count the point," Lucca says, reassuming his guard on tierce, the blade upright by his armed side, edge aimed outward, his casual acceptance of my complaint making me feel even worse.

So.

Okay.

"Patrick, actually wait for both of us to nod before you say 'allez,'" I tell him, likely mangling the pronunciation in ways I'm not aware of because just how many ways could there be to butcher two syllables?

"Fine," he says with only mild exasperation before he does raise his right arm like he should've done from the start, the white sleeve of his own half-zipped jacket sliding down past his wrist, letting his metallic prosthesis glint in the late afternoon sun streaming from the high, semicircular windows lining the upper wall to my right and his back, on the other end of the enormous fencing hall that my college, for reasons that Dad keeps laughing at rather than explain to me, so heavily invests in.

His robotic fingers straighten in an unnaturally smooth way, the intricate joints resembling an actual medieval gauntlet due to the custom 3d printing job he commissioned for it, like the nerd plenty of fencers actually are.

Except he's Patrick, a national-level champion who retrained himself to compete with his right hand after an accident that he rarely talks about while sober, and the guy…

He makes it work.

Pompous, Francophile asshole that he is, he makes it work.

"En garde," he says, starting the line properly. "Pret?" he asks and waits for both Lucca and I to nod. "Allez!" he announces.

And I don't have any excuses this time around.

So I leap back, trying to keep my distance as the physical prodigy rockets toward me, his feet moving so fast I can barely catch anything other than the staccato of cushioned heels beating down on the gridded metal flooring of the strip, trying to read—

The point of his saber hits the precise middle of my mask.

Just the tip.

Just… If I had jumped a bit farther, just a fraction of a second faster, if I had been just a bit better… it would have gone past.

Missed me.

Damn it.

He silently nods at me, his eyes hidden from mine when his mask tilts down, and I lose any angle past the tightly woven steel threads.

And then he turns around once again to silently walk to his starting position.

"Attack from the right, zero to one," Patrick says with maybe a smidge of vindication.

Yes, that could just be me projecting while trying not to focus on how utterly outmatched I am by someone who has worse technique than I do. No, I don't know why I would be at all bitter about that instead of planning how to try and take advantage of said much-vaunted technique while also trying not to remember Dad telling me that I would one day face this very scenario rather than just lose to more skilled opponents if I kept neglecting physical training to read old manuals.

So.

Yeah.

Bitching.

It's, apparently, a thing that I do.

"En garde," Patrick says, and I'm nodding before he asks, even if I'm not ready. Even if I need all the time in the world to think about how to—

Lucca leaps forward again, with the same speed—

I rush forward to meet him in the middle, but I'm responding to his attack, so he has right of way, and, even if we both hit, the point will be his, so—

A sideways flick, my blade trying to hit his, the beat of metal on metal stealing his priority even as it gets his blade out of the way…

Or that's what would've happened if he hadn't swiftly circled around my flick and struck the inside of my arm, just past my wrist and right on the long, padded cuff of my glove for the tip of his saber to hit a legal target.

I try not to grit my hit, and I raise my left hand, signaling that I've been hit before I turn back toward my starting point.

"Attack on preparation, zero to two," Patrick says with what I could easily take as a bored tone.

I breathe. I… It's not like the points have taken long, but they are explosive movements, and I'm giving it my all—for what little good it does. Not to mention all the other spars I did before deciding to top my lackluster practice with a bout against the hardest opponent in the club.

So. Yeah. I'm tired.

But I'm also furious.

"En garde. Pret? Allez!"

I rush forward as soon as Patrick's gleaming hand cuts down, and this would count as a double touch if I managed to hit Lucca at the same time as he hits me. No points awarded. A neutral result. The go-to move in tournaments, both fencers launching at the same time to do a mirrored advance-lunge.

He is still faster.

"Attack. Zero to three," Patrick says as I nod in agreement, acceptance, and bitter frustration.

I walk back a bit slower than before.

Just one point.

That's all I ask for; just one point scored off him. A point scored off somebody who sees this as a sport. Who doesn't care at all for history, or for…

It's stupid.

It is a sport.

It's just… also so much more.

So… maybe I should let it be just that?

"En garde. Pret? Allez!"

I immediately stand up straight, my legs unbending from the crouched position of the standard guard, heels touching one another, my arm extended, hand and shoulder aligned, my blade pointing straight at Lucca like I'm holding a spear against a cavalry charge.

Point-in-line.

A static position, a threat made with the point of my saber, one of the very few uses of the tip of the sword that my chosen weapon allows under current rules and practices.

A relic of old days.

Lucca stands still for a moment, briefly confused, and I so dearly wish he was the kind to quip right now, to tell me that I expect him to attack with Capo Ferro so I can answer that it would be natural for him to do so, but that I have found that Thibault cancels out Capo Ferro.

Because that's where this old relic, this weird move, inconsistent with the standard, sports-like maneuvers of modern saber comes from: Master Thibault's dueling system.

And I could accept that. I could laugh good-naturedly at Lucca beating me up again and again if he was the sort to share that kind of joke or to relish a bit of archaeological digging into the minutia of what should be our shared art.

But he just cautiously advances, measuring our distance, keeping his guard up so I won't drop the point-in-line that gives me priority so long as I maintain it rather than go for a surprise attack that is unlikely to land.

And, at the very last second…

He stops.

Our eyes meet through our masks, the woven steel doing nothing to detract from his intensely azure eyes as he peers at me, looking for I don't know what.

And, as I try to read him back, his blade flicks down and forward before rising in an upward semicircle from the inside of my non-standard guard, beating my blade out of the way and taking the right of way from me.

I leap back, dropping my hand to the quarte guard as fast as I can, to cover my unguarded side as well as trying to catch his thrusting saber on the way so I can at least get a proper parry out of this.

I am too slow.

There's a line of burning pain on my left arm, and I raise my unarmed hand to signal his point as I try not to grit my teeth and just accept what just happened. To try and take a lesson from it.

But I can't see what the lesson is, and so it's likely that I won't learn it.

"Attack from the right. Zero to four," Patrick says, and I don't even have the energy to imagine some perceived slight in his tone as I watch Lucca calmly walking back to his starting position.

I do take a moment, this time around, standing where I've last been hit, having the familiar litany of 'just one point' running through my head, but… It's never helped, has it? He's just that much better than I am, and he keeps improving day by day.

It's ridiculous. Nobody, not Patrick, not Dad, consistently beat me without me scoring a point. That's just not how fencing works. There's always a distraction, an off day, something, anything at all, that allows the weaker opponent to get lucky.

And I've got… My repertoire is far broader. Just the element of surprise should be enough for me to do something. To even win.

"Brian?" Patrick asks after I stare down for too long at the blurry sun reflected in front of me.

"Sorry. Just… Yeah," I say, smiling at him even if I'm not sure whether he can see through my mask from his angle.

But that, at least, is one lesson I learned from Dad: your voice carries your smile.

Funny what unsuspected wisdom can come from the lips of an office worker who's also, somehow, a master fencer.

I take the few steps I need to reach my starting point, and, this time, I take care to drop into as proper a stance as I can manage: feet at right angles, heels lined up, with about a foot and a half between them, knees bent low enough for explosive movements, but not so low that it slows down my reactions or stops me from dropping lower when I need to.

Then I think about it and drop my blade from the upright tierce to a low seconde, my blade extended down and forward, the edge at an angle that almost mirrors that of my thigh.

It's a guard barely used in saber because it's no longer legal to strike below the waist—even if accidents do happen, and nobody has the right to complain to a sabreur about how a kick to the balls feels like. A guard that is meant to defend a part of the body that is no longer a legal striking zone.

And so it's a guard that Lucca isn't used to dealing with.

"En guarde. Pret? Allez!" Patrick's gleaming hand cuts down, and I jump forward.

Just a fraction of a second faster than Lucca.

Just enough.

I shift from seconde to a threat to his head, my hand twisting up and advancing minutely in a feint that I've calibrated fastidiously to allow me enough room to throw three more of them before I'm forced to commit to a final attack.

He doesn't move.

I advance quickly, capitalizing on the chance, switching to my second feint, my blade parallel to the metallic floor I'm rushing through, a bit farther ahead, threatening his unarmed side, making him go from tierce to quarte like I just did while retreating from his attack on my point-in-line.

And he takes a step back.

I feel the smile on my lips without meaning to, speeding up just a bit more, pushing myself to go for a last switch of my line of attack, from the inside to the outside in a quick semicircle that brings my blade as far as my arm can extend as I kick from my back leg, throwing myself into as deep and low a lunge as I can manage…

And he whips his hand forward fast enough that the steel curves around the guard of my saber, the point of his weapon sinking into the padded cuff of my glove, my pained flesh, and whatever dregs of dignity I still had.

I hold still, the lunge over, my blade on his unprotected torso, my eyes on deep azure looking down on me while the rounded tip of his weapon remains where it landed, the two of us waiting for Patrick to—

"Attack on the preparation. Zero to five."

For Patrick to crush whatever optimism I still clung to.

I throw a tired smile Lucca's way before I pull myself up from my last lunge, quickly taking my mask off, getting a terrible reminder of precisely how much one can sweat when being stressed, tired, and wrapped in a padded jacket, and I bite the Velcro-lined cuff of my glove to pull it open and take my hand out because Dad drilled me not to offer my left hand after a bout, much less my still-gloved hand, and—

And swift, dexterous hands with long fingers help me tug it off.

"You think too much," Lucca says, holding both my glove and saber in the same hand he holds his before offering me his free, right hand.

"What?" I adroitly reply.

He… he doesn't quite roll his eyes, but it's pretty clear that he's frustrated as he looks away from me and toward Patrick before looking back.

"You… You held back. You could have just pushed and caught me—"

"I most definitely could not."

Another quasi-eye-roll, another reminder that this particular Italian-American manages to break away from the always gesturing stereotype that he apparently isn't.

"Brian," he says as if my name holds any particular meaning, "you could have gotten that last point. Easily. If you just didn't get in your own way."

And, before I can decide whether he's being supportive or insulting, my glove and saber are back in my hands, and he's turned his back on me.

"He's not a good swordsman, is he?" Patrick says, his prosthetic hand dropping on my shoulder in a by-now familiar way.

"Yeah. Pity we're fencers," I answer with equally familiar bitterness.

He pauses, the metallic fingers cool and still on the jacket I long to unzip, a few errant rays of sun playing along the detailed joints of the fake gauntlet that this quasi-aristocratic nerd felt the need to add to the incredibly expensive, almost futuristic, myoelectric limb that his sports scholarship funded.

"Yeah. Pity that," he finally says before letting me go and turning away, making me feel like I'm missing something.

Which, come to think of it, has been a persistent feeling since I enrolled in Lacmere University to Dad's concerned frown and Mom's manic cackle.

"I swear to God, fucking faeries," Conor mumbles as he rummages in his bag, bent over the locker room wooden bench as if he wants to dive into the black, long, almost guitar-case-like thing we're forced to use to carry our fencing gear around in an uncivilized world that doesn't think scabbards are in vogue.

"Faeries didn't steal your keys, Hound," Patrick tells his best friend in the most patronizing tone that he can manage as he laces his shoes in a way that belies how much practice it took for him to learn to use both his prosthesis and left hand for the task.

"It's just a manner of speech. And don't call me Hound," the tall, muscular, big guy with a passing resemblance to a certain character from a certain TV show that ended in disappointment says, peering over the open zipper with a fanged scowl glinting past his wild beard that very much warrants the moniker.

"Stop being so damn Irish…" Patrick complains as he critically contemplates whether his shoelaces are immaculate enough for his high standards.

"I'll stop being a superstitious hick when fairies stop stealing my goddamn keys, thank you very much," a man who doesn't sound all that grateful says.

And… Well, I guess I could stay. Join in the joking back and forth that they aren't excluding me from.

But…

'You think too much.'

Damn it.

"Well, see you tomorrow," I say, slinging my own oversized bag over my shoulder and very much wondering yet again why I choose to carry my gear around rather than leave it in the club where ninety percent of all my training takes place.

"Later, Brian," Conor distractedly says. "And, hey, if you see any suspicious women about seven inches high—"

"For the last time—"

I find myself smiling as the door shuts behind me, and I'm once again in the training hall, the sun even lower than before, lending the whole room a golden, dreamlike atmosphere complimented by the uneven reflection of the light streaks on the parallel fencing strips, the perforated metal seeming to waver and—

"Took you long enough," a girl who's somewhat taller than seven inches says.

I try (and likely fail) not to blink stupidly as I look away from the painting-like display and toward the tall double gates where a girl with a mane of black, wavy hair waits with her arms crossed.

Apparently, she's waiting for me.

And it takes a moment for my brain to cue me into the proper answer:

"Shit," I say, as polite as Mom always told me to be to young ladies.

"Where are my books, Brian?" she says, her amber eyes blazing in a way that would look much, much better if she was doing it over half-moon glasses like the hot librarian that she is—I mean, like the intimidating, imposing young woman that I very much don't want to piss off.

"I… I just forgot about the—"

"Incunabula. Original copies. Things that should be kept under lock and key and at perfectly controlled temperatures and humidity. And you, somehow, got the dean's permission to take them away from their rightful place under my watch and care—"

"You're just a library assistant, Roberta—"

"My watch and care. And then you dare forget about the return date?"

"I… I'm very sorry?"

She uncrosses her arms, not making me look at the suddenly released bust held back behind a frilly white blouse, and she walks decisively toward me, the black skirt hugging her hips very much complimenting that look she may be going for or that I could be projecting into the always stern, overachieving library assistant with too many job positions in the Student Council for me to list in the time it takes her to be right in front of me, staring up into my eyes as her own narrow and mine widen in what I hope is not unattractive shock—

Okay. Okay, Brian, yes, she's a pretty lady. A very pretty lady, and that stern look she's hitting you with is pushing all sorts of buttons, plenty of them likely related to reading material you would never admit to, even under torture.

She's also… very close.

That's no reason to act like an idiot, okay? Say, 'Okay,' Brian.

"Okay," Brian says.

… Like an idiot.

"Okay?" she asks with genuine confusion.

An opening!

"Okay to whatever it is that you want me to do to make up for it," I say without even a hint of panicked improvisation.

I mean… if fencing's good for something, it's to get you used to thinking on the fly, at the very least.

"And what makes you think that I want you to do something for me?" she says, likely pouncing on a hint of panicked improvisation.

Right, so… think, Brian, think.

And, for the love of God, don't say 'Think, Brian,' out loud!

"Come on," I say with a brittle smile. "Why else would you come all the way here?"

"To get my books back," she says, like somebody who never learned to play along.

"Yeah, but I drop by the library often enough. No need to go to all the trouble when you could've just reminded me the next time you saw me," I say, gesticulating wildly enough to compensate for Lucca's sad betrayal of his ancestry. At least partially.

Her eyes narrow like she doesn't approve of my quaint national stereotypes, which I'm pretty sure has nothing to do with her name being 'Roberta,' and thus likely being a Latina of some kind, even if she's paler than I am, and… uh… is this racist? Is thinking that Latinos are usually tanner than a nerd with indoor hobbies racist? Shit, I don't feel like this with Lucca—the racism part. There's nothing at all about talking to a pretty girl that reminds me of talking with Lucca other than the racism thing.

… Is this homophobic?

"Fine," she says.

"Fine?" I ask as if granted absolution for my sins against all that Twitter stands for.

"Come by tonight," she says.

"Come by?" I ask, more out of sheer reflex than cogent curiosity.

"By the library. Come by the library," she tells me, her arms crossing yet again and doing entirely uninteresting things to her mid-sized, just shy of big, bust that I most definitely don't even notice.

"By the—"

"If you finish that question, I'll stomp my heel on your foot."

"Ah."

"Yes."

I blink at her.

She doesn't blink at me. Like, it's very noticeable that she isn't blinking.

Also, she's tapping her fingers on her arm in a way that conveys both impatience and what another Brian, one that lies long-buried in a shameful past, would've likely considered too moe to even process.

And… well, I could question her about why she wants to meet with me at night. In the library. When it's closed to the public.

When it will be just the two of us in there.

I very much could and likely should.

But…

'You think too much.'

Fuck you, Lucca. In an entirely heterosexual and non-homophobic way.

"Okay," I say.

And she smiles in a way that would definitely look equally sinister with half-moon glasses.

"Leaving so late?" Conor asks from the aged leather armchair in the corner when I go through the common hall at the entrance to the dorm building.

Which would be a perfectly sensible thing to ask if it weren't for the thick, wagging eyebrows, the grin that his beard can't hide, and the lewd gesture that I refuse to acknowledge.

"Just want to get some cool air," I say, adjusting a brown cotton jacket that is not padded at all and, thus, will hopefully remain not sweat-soaked in the time it takes to walk to the library.

"Oh, so that's what you kids are calling it nowadays," he says with a puerile giggle that makes Patrick shoot him a reproachful frown.

"Yes. That's what we 'kids' call going out for a stroll at night. Getting some cool air," I say, telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, except for all the parts of the truth that I'm desperately withholding from somebody prone to explicit, uncomfortably candid remarks.

"Stop messing with him, Conor," Patrick says from where he's reading a book with a leather jacket, lying on the couch like a decadent noble in front of a fireplace that is currently not in season.

"Thanks," I say with a bit of relief.

"After all," he keeps going as if I hadn't spoken, "it's not like a gentleman to kiss and tell."

His face remains stonily stoic as he turns a page with the pad of a non-metallic finger, and then he slowly looks up at me over the top of his book with a slow grin coming to bear as Conor starts laughing loud enough to bend over.

"You guys are all terrible people," I say, maybe a tad more truthful than earlier.

"Don't forget to use a rubber!" Conor cheerfully answers.

And, with those parting words and my cheeks feeling perfectly cool, thank you very much, I push the door to my dorm open and step out into the night's air.

Which is cool. Like, actually cool, as my currently sensitive cheeks, for some reason, are quick to notice.

So… well, I do take in a deep breath of air. Of cool, fresh air the likes of which I've only gotten before when deep in a mountain trail, in one of those excursions that Dad thought was a good idea to drag me through despite me being built for speed rather than stamina.

… Yeah, I miss him. Them.

Kinda pathetic, isn't it? A college freshman missing his parents on the other side of the country, looking up at a starry sky with the warm light of the dorm coming through the windows on top of the gates behind him, remembering when a tall, thin, athletic man sat him on his lap, both of them on a rock surrounded by ancient pines, and an impossibly big finger pointed at the stars above, speaking of names and stories from the time when words were new.

I probably shouldn't tell Roberta about all this. Don't want her libido to dry up.

But, well… she isn't here right now, is she?

So I start walking down the dimly lit path going from the dorm reserved to the members of the dean's pet project, the quasi-medieval building with enough allowances to modern life for it to be livable growing smaller at my back as I approach the actual European castle that a riche nouveau with more money than sense, and more sense than sanity, decided to export here, to the Pacific Northwest of the united States of America, just so it could act as the administrative center and staff residence for a college that is not nearly elite enough for how much all this must've cost.

I'm walking on paved stones surrounded by lush, dark green grass, and I find myself staring up at Orion, the most easily found constellation, as I near a building set outside the walls of the castle, made of red brickwork that mirrors a Gothic cathedral architecture with tall, colorful windows that always cast our library in comfortable light that more than one student finds themselves drowsing in.

The forest isn't far, and neither is the lake or the small canal that surrounds only half of the castle's walls, thus not being quite a moat even if the suggestion's there.

It's just… a beautiful, peaceful night.

But it does very little to calm my thundering heart when I finally reach the library and find the door inset in one of the tall gates open even if the lights inside are turned off.

I…

Okay. Okay. Just… just try to think of this as a tournament. It's fine being nervous. Nothing shameful about that. Yes, being nervous impacts your performance—not like that.

Right. Let's try this again.

I take a deep breath, really taking notice of the scent of wet grass and the cool water of a lake only a few hundred yards away, that is, from this place higher than my dorm, a black mirror dotted by starlight and a streak of wavering silver moonlight.

I look up from it and toward a moon bigger than usual, full, round, and with a face made out of dots, lines, and imagination.

I allow my mind to be a bit fanciful, and the Moon smiles down at me, surprisingly reassuring as I let past failures in tournaments I was too nervous to properly show my skill in fade away.

And, when my heart has slowed down, I turn back to the ajar door and push it with my open hand, the old hinges creaking as I step into a tall room filled with corridors made out of bookcases.

"Roberta?" I call out in a whisper that still feels too loud for this place, particularly at night.

She doesn't answer, so I, trying very hard not to think about all those gory movies that Mom let me watch before I was supposed to be old enough to do so—to Dad's utter horror and a few sleepless nights as a result—step deeper into the cathedral-like library, turning back for a brief moment to check how the light of a full moon comes through the colorful rose window placed above the gates that only open for formal events.

The colors of the stained glass are washed out, and the medieval figures take on an ethereal, not-at-all reassuring quality, seeming to move as I walk back, still staring up, until I'm past the reception desk where Roberta usually glares at me, and then I turn around.

"Roberta?" I ask once again, struggling with all my might not to add a clueless 'Is anyone there?'

There's a sound coming from the bookcase corridor to my left, and I, stupidly imagining an enthusiastic aspirant to the naughty librarian position being trapped in impromptu bondage, follow it deeper into shadows laced with the scent of aged paper.

"I swear, if I find you gagged and tied… I'm still going to ask for consent," I mutter, for no particular reason at all other than me being apparently an idiot.

Particularly because Roberta never actually said that something improper would happen tonight and, for all I know, despite my cleanly shaved cheeks, my extra shower, my healthy overdose of deodorant, and my pained gums that have heroically withstood an entirely too thorough brushing, it's quite reasonable to assume that I'm going to be doing inventory until dawn as penance for my sins against late return fines.

There's another sound, deeper still, past the next intersection and leading up to the area filled with desks and crystal lamps.

I walk towards it, slowing down, feet brushing softly over grey, worn stone, my knees reflexively bending in preparation for a burst of speed if I need it, my right hand trailing along the cool wood of the bookcase by my side, maybe looking for something long and easy to hold that I can use to—

The moonlight pours in from a tall arched window by my left, the shafts of silver raining past swirling motes of glowing dust to fall on a desk in the middle of the open area.

To fall on… On…

There's a howl.

I used to have a dog. A happy, fluffy ball of bounding energy who usually yipped rather than barked, but I once heard him howling when I arrived home, and he didn't notice he was no longer alone.

Head thrown back, fangs peeking past his black lips, back entirely arched as the whole body was devoted to letting out something filled with mournful sadness that sent a shiver down my spine.

This is not that kind of howl.

The black fur along its shoulders is spiked, the tail curved, the sound a call for something that isn't there, that can't be there, making my blood freeze and a rush of cold flash through my head.

That keeps on going and going, answered only by the dancing motes trapped in silver light.

And then, slowly, it fades to silence as the head bows back down.

Equally slowly, it turns toward me.

I meet glowing, amber eyes.

Realize that my jacket is now definitely soaked with sweat.

And I run.

===========================

Hi there, this is my new original project, generously financed by @shaderic, the same patron of the arts responsible for Ginosko. This time around, the focus is kind of different.

That's not to say there won't be maid-focused smut in the future. I know who I'm working with.

Anyway, the story of Lacmere is maybe a bit more ambitious than I should reasonably tackle, given that it started as an excuse for monstergirl smut in a modern setting. I'm honestly a bit hyped to see what you all think when more of the world is shown, but for now, I guess you'll just have to wait for the next chapter to come out.

Speaking of? My current goal is to get this on a biweekly schedule, on Tuesdays, alternating with Wordsworth to fill Wake-up Call's recently vacated spot. This means that
Chapter 2 is already up on my Patreon, and that Chapter 3 will come out next week. Look forward to it (I am looking forward to it, just also dreading messing it up).

As always, I'd like to thank my credited supporters on
Patreon: LearningDiscord, Niklarus, Tinkerware, Varosch, Vergil1989 Crossover King, and Xalgeon. If you feel like maybe giving them a hand with keeping me in the writing business (and getting an early peek at my chapters before they go public, among other perks), consider joining them or buying one of my books on Amazon. Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
Also I've been reading too much eggfic lately, because it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize Brian is cis. :V

Also I've been reading too much eggfic lately, because it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize Brian is cis. :V

Huh. That's the second time a reader has commented about Brian being trans. Reminds of me when I was praised for my portrayal of Armsmater's autism and I could only think, 'His what?'
Anyway! The second chapter will be up in a few minutes. I hope it's worth the read.

Lacmere University – Chapter 2: The One with the Chase [6.8k Words]
Lacmere University – Chapter 2: The One with the Chase [6.8k Words]

I am in good shape.

I am an athlete.

Yes, I am a nerd. A gigantic nerd. The kind of person who has trouble interacting with his peers because they are all dreadfully boring when compared to whatever book I could be reading rather than making awkward conversation. Not quite a kissless virgin, but near enough. By all rights, I should be the character being shoved into a locker and pitifully asking for reading material to while away the hours until school lets out.

But I am a fencer.

So, at least, I've got very strong legs to run the fuck away with from any would-be bullies when I don't feel stubborn enough to try and fight back.

Tonight, in a deserted, moonlit library, I have just discovered that being chased by an actual werewolf somehow makes me that tad bit faster.

Take that, jocks whose names I never bothered learning; you weren't even adequate terror-fueled motivation.

So, fueled by adequate terror, despite the jumbled mess of incoherent thoughts rushing through my head, I run.

Book spines blur as I race down the narrow alley made of looming bookshelves, and I hear the muffled sound of a body jumping to the floor below the tables I'm running away from.

The tables where a black shape with glowing amber eyes just stared at me.

It is near. I don't know how fast it will be when it decides to chase, but… I know dogs. I had a dog.

It won't be slow.

I reach the space between a bookcase and the next one, and I kick my leg forward, my foot as firmly planted on the broad slabs of grey stone as I can manage, forcing on it an abrupt turn that is murder on my ankle as I all but jump down the perpendicular corridor to my left, hoping to break line of sight.

But it's a werewolf. It will track me by scent.

What's the end goal here?

Other than surviving the night?

I can't get out of the library, out of this cathedral-shaped building with tall doors and windows that let in shafts of silver light that trace stark darkness across the sharp angles falling from the top of tall shelves. I can't run into open ground and hope to outrun it.

My mind races faster than my body, trying to come up with something, anything, that I can use to lock myself away from the creature, or an object that I can turn into a weapon—

I'm not going to last. I'm sprinting, and canines are endurance hunters.

Like humans. That's why we pair so well.

I kick myself to my left when I go past the next bookcase, turning in mid-air as I bleed off speed, still rushing but trying to keep my steps quiet, to keep them from echoing all around me, and I take off my jacket.

Woodcut illustrations from the yellowed pages of books that should no longer be a matter of life or death in the current century flash through my head, and I almost snort when the name Capo Ferro comes out unbidden to taunt me with my earlier petty ramblings about a better fencer than I am.

Lucca. A better fencer.

I just hope I'm enough of a swordsman to survive this.

"Brian?" a voice distorted by midnight and distance echoes between the books, making me shiver like the howl did moments ago as the cold sweat dries on my brow, and I slow down my steps a tad more, looking over my shoulder to make sure it isn't right behind me.

The open space in the middle of this mock temple is ahead of me once more, the tables filling it now devoid of any monsters with glowing eyes, and I step aside when I am at the last intersection before I'll reach the middle of the library and be exposed to moonlight beams. I take the chance to recover and try to slow down my breath as I rest my back against the solid wood of the side of the bookcase, only to flinch when my drenched shirt sticks to my back.

"Brian," the voice calls out, but quieter, and I think it's taking its time, still going down the path I just rushed away from.

My jacket.

Fencing manuals.

Capo Ferro.

Using a cloak with your sword. To entangle an opponent's weapon, to blind them with it, to hide your attack behind the dangling cloth until it's too late and your stab reaches them from an unexpected angle.

To shield yourself. If that's the best you've got.

There's… There's even a similar thing in Bartitsu, Sherlock Holmes' martial art. You take your pocket handkerchief out and flip it at your opponent's face, distracting them during the fraction of a second that you need to sock them in the jaw.

Except I'm not a boxer, nor a martial artist, nor, sadly, Sherlock Holmes.

I am Brian Campbell, son of Julien and Morwenna Campbell. I learned how to wield a saber before most kids learned to write. I am a fencer, a good fencer, and…

And if I survive the night, I'm going to call myself a swordsman without feeling embarrassed by it.

"Brian," it calls out, the voice softer, as if confused when it turns and gets nearer and nearer, following my scent.

I could drop my jacket, try to distract it with the smell, maybe trace a false trail for it to follow.

I once had a dog.

It wouldn't work.

I slowly slide to the other side of the bookcase and listen for padded footsteps on bare stone. It's… I think it's moving on all fours, and I hear it sniffing, cautiously and meticulously following my scent, getting closer to me.

To the bookcase I'm hiding behind.

I take a slow, steady, silent breath and try to peer past the stacked books to the corridor on the other side of them, and I see it.

Black fur melding with the shadows, spikes of it along its broad shoulders glinting in moonlight when it crosses between bookcases and a shaft of silver delineates the indistinct form crawling on the floor, its thick tail wagging behind it as it gets excited by the game it's playing with me.

I wait.

One step. Two steps. Three steps.

And then it's almost right behind me, on the other side of this tall bookcase.

So I push.

I push as hard as I can with legs trained for at least three hours every single day of my life. With legs strong enough to sustain bout after bout fought on a low stance that is murder on the thighs of any newbie. With legs that Dad always told me were as important to a fencer as a quick, precise hand, if not more.

My hands hold on the underside of the shelf running along my lower back.

The bookcase creaks.

And, with a burst of explosive strength, I roar, lifting and pushing until the solid piece of wooden furniture tilts back on its side, the books at the top raining down on the floor, the shape behind me letting out an animalistic yelp of surprise.

I push.

And the entire thing crashes down behind me.

There's a pained cry, but now I am running. As fast as I can, sprinting toward the nearest table so I can grab the edge of it and jump over it, sliding to the other side and making it teeter when I fall from it, quickly grabbing the damn, stupidly heavy, unbalanced thing and giving it a last heaving pull to force it on its side so it will become a barricade, ready for when the monster bursts out of the pile of books I just buried it in.

Three lamps crash against the floor, green glass shades shattering around me, but none of the shards are long enough to act as a knife, so I turn around and try to break the leg of the nearest chair with a kick and end up hurting my foot.

A lot.

Okay. Okay, it turns out that solid oak furniture is sturdier than in the movies. This is both a good and a bad thing, seeing as I can't afford to be limping right now, but this is also my new weapon, so it better be sturdy enough to withstand a werewolf's bite, and—

"Why didja do that for, ya jerk?" a voice buried in books under a diagonally resting bookshelf whines.

I… blink at it.

Which, seeing as I'm not suicidal, doesn't prevent me from grabbing the chair and resting it on top of the table like I'm holding a pike against a cavalry charge.

"You're a werewolf chasing me," I politely inform the monster confused about my reticence when it comes to letting it tear out my throat.

"Well, yeah," it says. "You ran, so I had to chase. Those are the rules!"

I open my mouth to inform it that I haven't been made aware of any such rules, but… I did have a dog.

You run. They chase. It's what dogs do.

And I'm suddenly reminded of a Terry Pratchett book that almost verbatim stated that if werewolves are a cross between humans and wolves… doesn't that sound precisely like what a dog is?

"Were you… trying to play around?" I ask it.

"Dude, she thinks you're the only one I can play with. Come on, don't make this weird," answers the pile of books.

The pile of books that Roberta is going to murder me for. Assuming, that is, that I'm not speaking to either Roberta or the werewolf who ate Roberta before I got here.

"Roberta?" I ask like I did when I came in through the door. Hoping that a late-night rendezvous in a deserted library was precisely what it sounded like in my head, only to be reminded that things are very rarely what I expect them to be in my head.

Thanks for that frequently repeated lesson, Mom.

"Oh, gosh, don't. She'll get mad if you mix us up!"

Fuck.

Slowly, and not just because of the throbbing pain in my kicking foot, I lower the smugly intact chair to the floor and drag it with me when I walk around the table that I was so proud of having just turned into a barricade.

The table with a clearly splintered top, now that, thanks to a certain wannabe action hero, it has fallen on its side.

"You still there?" it asks.

She asks.

Roberta's likely alter ego asks.

… This is all very confusing, and my only wish is that I will come up with a good way to reframe the whole thing before Mom learns about it and I'm subjected to further cackling.

"Yeah," I tell it.

"You gonna keep running? I liked you running, but I don't like it when heavy things fall on top of me," she says with what seems to be the kind of petulant pout I would never imagine on Roberta's lips.

… Okay. There's still a high likelihood that I'm going to get my throat bitten off, but this is ridiculous enough that I feel somewhat safe in assuming that possibility is not significantly higher than if I was talking to a regular girl, even if maybe slightly more literal than usual.

So… I set down the chair and crouch in front of the pile of books.

"Are you a werewolf?" I ask for clarity's sake.

"I dunno. I think so?"

"Are you… is Roberta there?"

"She's… I think she's napping? It's what I do when she's out there. I think. Or not. Thinkin's complicated like this. Don't like complicated things."

"Ah," I say for lack of anything better to say.

"What do ya mean 'Ah?' What kind of lazyass answer is 'Ah?'"

"It means that I didn't even suspect that magic existed until a few minutes ago, and now I'm talking to somebody who's likely a werewolf, so it's not so much a lazy answer as a 'My brain's trying very hard not to default to panicked screaming' answer."

"Oh. Now I see why Roberta likes you."

"There are a lot of things I want to argue about that line, but I'm now also trying not to blush in likely unrealistic assumptions, seeing as the last time I fell for that, I ended up shaving five times in a row."

"Is that why you smell weird?"

I, mortally offended on behalf of the Campbell family line's proud tradition regarding aftershave choice, glare at the books.

The books rudely ignore me and remain unaffected by my challenging stare.

"I don't smell weird," I inform the monster of myth, legend, and trashy horror movies.

"You do! You usually smell all nice-like, and Roberta once stole your fencing jacket for a night just so I could stay locked in sniffing it, but now you smell all like… like leather, and orange peel? It's weird. Other men smell like it. Don't like it. I like your smell."

… Brian, this is your higher consciousness, here to remind you that getting an erection in this situation is not only a very stupid thing to do but also the kind of thing that Mom would point at you and laugh for, like the time you were chased by a wild raccoon who, apparently, wasn't a fan of Marvel movies.

Also, let me remind you what ended up happening to that raccoon when it came too close to biting your ankles. Yeah. That. Try to keep an erection while thinking about that.

On second thought, don't. Please, don't try to keep an erection while thinking about that.

"Huh. Now that's a smell I like," the voice cheerfully states.

And then the pile of books rises up before they cascade aside, the rustling pages and creaking spines parting around a shape on all fours with glowing amber eyes, bright white fangs, and…

And there emerges a wild tangle of dark locks, with grey, almost tan-like skin, a collar of bristly fur around her neck and shoulders, pointed ears standing straight up past long hair, and a grin wide enough on black lips that throat-biting has now become another urgent concern.

Again.

"I… Roberta… I…"

"Not Roberta. Call me… I don't have a name. I'm only she. It, sometimes. I—Bobbi! Call me Bobbi!"

"That's… like a stripper or a dog—"

"Yes!" she says.

And she leaps over the books in front of her, straight at me, barreling against my chest, laying me down on the cold stone slabs with a girl taller and stronger than I am frantically sniffing my neck.

Sniffing me!

I'm not ready for sniffing! I'm a pure, virginal boy who's still overly preoccupied with childish delusions of being a swordsman and trying not to consciously realize how utterly terrifying his mother can be! Mercy, Roberta, my heart is too tender for your sniffing!

Hey, I didn't tell you to stop, did I?

"Good," she purrs against my neck, which, honestly, would fit much better if she was a catgirl, but the tail I can see lazily wagging over her shoulders is definitely not a feline one, and those ears of hers, the left one flicking in and out of my field of view, are too pointy for a cat yet rounder than a fox's, so she's likely—hn.

"What… What are you doing?" I futilely ask the girl—the werewolf slowly crawling down my body, rubbing her dark nose against my chest, her hands moving from the floor to my shoulders, then down my maybe not bulging pecs, and—

"Better. It smells better down here. I want more of your smell, Brian…" she says with a drowsy voice that is finally devoid of any excess of energy, and I do recognize Roberta in there, even if her throat and mouth are different enough that she could pass as an older sister. An older, more voluptuous, sultry sister set on reaching a part of my body that smells more like me than my neck and—

Oh.

"Is… Is that what you want?" I ask, trying to keep my voice steady.

"Mmm!" she wordlessly answers, only briefly looking up at me to show me a broad, wide smile filled with white, sharp teeth before she immediately goes back to the current center of her universe.

And I, looking down at a squirming girl with her hips raised up as she rubs her face all over my balled, sweat-drenched jacket, struggle not to whine.

Bobbi is… very much unlike Roberta.

I've known her human side for quite a while. The overly ambitious student representative with a perfect attendance record who moonlights as a library assistant, apparently trying to get her hands on as many titles as she can pad her curriculum with.

The always immaculately dressed woman leaning a tad too much (yet still too little) into the strict, hot librarian archetype. The sharp-witted woman who can and will give me sass for every late-return fee. The…

… Okay, my friend.

Roberta's my friend.

And my head is finally clear enough that I can realize how much of a mess she's in.

"So! Like, there's so much I could do, and she still tries to lock me up. She thinks I'm dumb, but she's—she tried to handcuff me. Thought I wouldn't know how keys work. How silly's that?" Bobbi says with more of her energetic, non-stop chatter that I can only distract her from with a jacket that, at this point, likely has as much of her saliva as it does my sweat.

"She thought you wouldn't know how to use keys?" I ask, still trying to keep a parallel thought process so that I can, you know, process this.

Which Bobbi doesn't help me with in the slightest when her energetic, answering nod translates to titanic quakes across her exposed cleavage.

Oh, hadn't I mentioned this before? See, apparently, Bobbi is both taller and more muscular than Roberta, not to mention curvier. She has the kind of body that women who like to wear bikini chainmail would look up to.

That is: a much bigger body than Roberta's.

So the frilly white blouse is unbuttoned down to just above her navel, what should be loose fabric pressing tightly down on breasts that are firm enough to quiver yet soft enough to overflow from the strained cups of her exposed black bra.

And she isn't wearing her skirt.

Something that I assume has to do with both her broad hips, how stretched her black panties digging on her soft flesh look, and the tail enthusiastically wagging behind her as she peppers me with more and more stories about Roberta's infructuous attempts to keep her wild side under lock and key.

So I'm trying to process the existence of magic, that a friend of mine is a literal monster, if a seemingly friendly one, and that I'm alone, at night, with a barely dressed girl who would put to shame any bikini models I disgracefully spent my puberty with.

Remember when I said that fencing is good at getting you to think on the fly?

I need more fencing!

"It was so silly! Like, listen, she just handcuffed one of my hands and left the key right there. I guess she was afraid she wouldn't be able to get herself free when she woke up? Dunno. Hey, Brian, why would a girl chain herself to her bed if she was afraid she wouldn't be able to get away?" she asks with wide, sincere, glowing eyes that hurt my very soul.

Gah! Too pure! The sexy monstergirl is too pure!

"Is it a sex thing?" she asks, with a canine head tilt perfectly complimented by a flick of her left ear.

Gah! Too straightforward! The cute monstergirl is too straightforward!

"Brian?" she asks, tilting her head to the other side fast enough that her ears bobble.

I give up.

Mom's going to cackle at me. I just know it.

"Has… Has Roberta tried to communicate with you? Left you a note or something?" I ask, very deliberately avoiding answering her earlier question.

"Oh! The note!" she says, perking up and sniffing something other than my balled jacket before launching away from me, leaving me to blankly blink at the recently vacated spot where I'm no longer constantly tempted by supernatural cleavage.

And yes, I know, priorities. Boobs shouldn't even rate under the current circumstances, but, in my defense, they are literally magic boobs.

Also, I keep reading about how life and death situations cause serious issues with both misattribution of arousal and birth rates, so I can always say that biology is against me, which, really, should come as no surprise whatsoever to any nerd in the world who's ever been confronted by that sad fact of life—particularly when about to give a presentation to a crowded classroom.

"Here! Here, Brian!" she cheerfully says as she vaults over the table that I've been sitting against, the still-standing, overturned testament to my attempt at frantically fleeing from the very monster that I'm now trying not to ogle.

And then she shoves a crumpled piece of paper at me.

"What's—"

"She left you a note! Dunno why. She was expecting to still be herself when you got here? Anyway, read it, read it!"

I look at the girl crouching while leaning forward, her open hands on the floor, her tail excitedly wagging behind her.

I try not to stare at her.

Honestly, I should be much more weirded out by the ears and tail than by her outrageous outfit. What kind of man focuses so much on things like that when frantically trying to ignore that the world no longer makes sense? When striving to find any and all excuses not to think about what this means regarding not only the existence of werewolves but any other myth and tale through human history that may suddenly turn out to be distressingly real? When trying very, very hard to keep a casual conversation going without offending the woman who should be a murderous, mindless beast?

Yeah, just what kind of man latches onto any hint of normalcy rather than process all at once that the world is a very different place than he ever thought it would be?

Apparently, the kind of man who will politely smile, nod, and pretend to read the note in his hands like he's not about to freak out, hoping against hope to find a reassuring piece of information that will make reality make sense again.

'Brian, if you're reading this, I'm already dead.'

… For fuck's sake, Roberta!

'I always wanted to write this—' Fucking knew it! '—it's the rest of this that I…

'I don't even know what to write. I don't even know why I'm writing. To clear my head? To manage in a few minutes what I haven't been able to in months? There's no need for that. He'll get here before I transform, I'll explain things as far as I'm able to, and leave the beast in his hands. He's… I know he can handle it. I just… His scent. I remember it. The effect it has. I know how it calms the monster and turns it docile. How his aroma makes it focus only on him rather than…

'Than blood on my hands. Waking up in the middle of a forest, strings of raw meat stuck between my teeth, thinking that I should feel like throwing up rather than so…. Fulfilled. Like I should be exhausted, drained, terrified, rather than better rested than on any moonless night.

'It's what scares me most of all. Knowing how I should feel and feeling otherwise. It… It makes it seem like it's gaining on me. Like every time it takes over, it could leave behind something that is not me. Gradually changing my mind like it abruptly changes my body.

'I'm scared, Brian. I'm terrified. I am…

'I need help.

'There. I wrote it. I finally admitted it outside of my head. I need help. I need somebody who knows. Somebody who knows me and understands what's going on. Somebody who can tell me that I'm still myself. If I am still myself.

'And there's only a smart, dumb boy who fits the bill. Only a single person in the whole world that it… that it will accept.

'Only you, Brian.

'And I know I'm harsh. I know I'm annoying. I know I never let you get away with any of the things that would privately amuse me to see you try. I know I am not the girl you'd want to spend your nights with…

'But I need you.

'I need you so much. I need you to guard me. I need you to watch over me and help me be myself. I need you to put that brain of yours to work with mine, to trawl through every ancient book in this crazy, impossible library filled with more ancient texts than many museums.

'I need you to help me find a cure.

'And I also need you to get here fast. What's keeping you? Why are you wasting so much time when the moon's out, and silver light will peek past the windows at any moment? Why are you not here?

'Why aren't you by my side, Brian?'

The note, this journal of a single page, ends in an incomprehensible scrawl.

My blood runs cold.

Bobbi's tail keeps wagging side to side as she smiles at me with pure joy and expectation.

So I throw my balled jacket at her, and she pounces on it, immediately burrowing her nose into the tight folds.

I look at her. At the adorably energetic girl that I've gotten to know over the past half an hour. The chattering, bright, unable-to-focus woman who keeps smiling at me in shifting degrees of joy and enthusiasm.

At Bobbi.

And I…

I move away from my seat against the sideways table and crouch by her side, carefully reaching to scratch the collar of midnight fur around her neck, only for the pleasured mumbles coming out of my jacket to intensify as her tail wags that much faster.

Then, as many conflicting voices scream inside my head, I try to keep calm and friendly, distracting a playful werewolf until the moon goes away and I can speak to the cursed woman inside.

"You're sleepy," Bobbi says, bumping her head against my shoulder hard enough to make the chair under me creak more audibly than when I kicked it.

"How can you tell?" I answer, trying not to show the irritability that only people unused to being awake at four in the morning can understand.

"Well, you keep yawning! Also, you're only answering me with grunts and nods. And I don't think you're listening. Do ya wanna play? I could chase you again, and you could try and trick me, and that would get your blood pumping."

"Bobbi… I think that if I tried to run from you, I would end up tripping on my face."

"Oh. Do you want me to suck your cock, then?"

"No, thank—what?!"

"Suck your cock?" she asks with a curious blink, as if I'm too slow on the uptake. "You know, lick you, taste you, get your hard meat down my throat until you're ready to pound me from behind? You smell like you want it."

I blink at her. As if I am too slow on the uptake.

"What?"

"I mean, most guys smell like they want to. Like they always want to. But… you…" her nostrils flare, and her pensive expression turns into a dreamy smile. "Your smell makes me want to…" she continues, her tone once more dropping into that incongruous purr before she rubs the side of her face against my chest, her twitching right ear tickling the underside of my excessively shaven chin, her hands on my shoulders trailing down.

"Bo—Bobbi," I try to say in the harsh tone a dog would react to despite a part of me being very much all right with what's about to happen—with the thing that is most definitely not going to happen.

"Brian," she murmurs, her lips furtively sneaking a single caress between the row of buttons of my shirt, her touch in the middle of my chest making my eyes shoot wide open and any sleep fog immediately dissipating.

"Bobbi… I… Roberta wouldn't—"

"Don't mix the two of us. She'll get angry," she says with a hint of warning as her hands rest on top of my thighs.

And then her face is between my legs, her fingers going around the waistband of my pants, and I—

I win an internal Pyrrhic victory and grab the back of her fur collar.

"Down," I say. "Bad girl."

She whines.

Something that quite clearly does not have anything at all to do with the current state of my uncomfortably tight pants.

"Brian… Why won't ya let me—" I pull on her fur, and she yelps, jerking away from my crotch and looking at me with upturned, sad eyebrows that are entirely too canine for comfort before she drops into a deep squat, and her ears flatten against her hair.

"Is Roberta okay with this?" I ask her with as stern a tone as I can manage with an erection pushing down my pants leg—which I just discovered is a tone surprisingly sterner than any I ever managed before.

"Wha—why does she matter? I want it. You want it. Lemme grab your cock and—"

"Sit," I say with another tug.

She yelps and drops further down, her rotund ass resting on cold flagstones, her hands bent in front of her chest, her head tucked down, and her tail finally still.

"Why are you so mean to me…" she says, her eyes looking away from me and back in what years of finding the contents of my wastebasket strewn across the floor of my room inform me is very likely insincere regret.

"Do you want me to keep you company?" I ask, looking down at her from where I'm seated on a chair so old-fashioned that this scene could easily be roleplay of a very different kind.

"What?"

"Do you want me to be here? With you? When the moon comes out?"

She blinks at me. And her silly, enthusiastic, overly energetic smile comes back.

"Every night?" she asks with a single brush of her tail across the floor.

"Every night," I confirm with a resolute nod.

"Like, every, every night? Always? For real?" she asks.

And here's the thing:

Dogs get lonely.

They mourn, whine, and howl when they are left alone. They want us to be around them. They need company.

Because they are, under layers of soft fur and mournful eyebrows, wolves.

And wolves are social animals. They live with their families, hunt together, survive together. Wolves need others around them just to live.

So do we.

And I'm talking to a girl who's spent her entire, confusing existence by herself.

So she needs… me.

Like Roberta's desperate, written confession tells me that she does.

"For real. Just as long as you don't mind me napping from time to time," I say with a smile that softens as my grip on her collar turns into soft pats.

Her tail moves once again, fast enough that her prominent behind follows the cadence in ways I try not to focus on, and she leans forward to rest her chin on my thigh, still looking up at me and doing her best to entice me into further pats.

I provide them.

And, as she descends into wordless enjoyment of my touch and presence, I try very much not to think about how furious Roberta would be if I dared accept the advances of the girl she shares a body with.

Mostly because the idea of Roberta's flushed cheeks and narrow eyes is something that isn't as good of a detractor from lewd behavior as it should be…

My throat is sore from too much talking, my wrist is cramped from excessive petting of black hair that is now slightly more orderly than when the night began, and my eyes keep itching.

"You can nap," Bobbi says with a hint of worry as she turns her head over my chest to look up at me.

We're cuddling on top of the pile of fallen books, the closest thing to a mattress we could find in the library, and I'm using my irreversibly crumpled jacket as a blanket of sorts for the both of us. I don't know if she needs it, but…

But she keeps sniffing at it and me, small smiles peeking across her black lips when she does, so I'll happily provide her with any distraction that doesn't require conscious engagement on my part.

"I don't want to leave you alone on our first night," I finally answer after a noticeable delay.

"Oh. That's sweet," she says.

"I try," I say, lying through my teeth.

"I think I'm gonna nap, though. You don't mind?" she asks.

"I… by all means?"

"Thanks! Good night, Brian. Let's play again soon," she says.

And then her hands push down on my chest, her long, black nails elongated enough to prick me through my shirt, and she's over me, looking down with glowing amber eyes, her mouth opening as she slowly lowers toward my neck, her head turning sideways as if about to close her sharp fangs on my throat…

And I can only stare.

At the beautiful, cheerful monster. The one keeping me pinned, unable to escape. The one that could kill me oh so very easily now that I'm defenseless, below her, unarmed.

My heart races once again, primed by the same ancestral fear that overtook me when I saw her howling at the cascade of silver light casting her silhouette in stark contrasts. The terror that made me flee and almost erased my thoughts before I got a hold of them.

She draws closer, hot puffs of breath washing over my sensitive, exposed neck as her lips get near enough that I can feel the phantom pressure of her.

That I know it's impossible for me to run away or push her off. That I'm entirely at her mercy and my life is hers to do with as she pleases.

It's an irrational, stupid fear. It's something incongruous with me having spent the past few hours getting to know a girl who will sit on the floor if I tell her to in a harsh enough tone.

But it's fear.

And it's not strange that it's irrational.

"I don't like that smell on you," she whispers.

And then she licks me.

Her tongue is broad and warm, flat against my neck, and I shudder, reflexively grabbing her waist as she moves up, both her breasts and tongue rubbing along my body.

"Don't shave next time," she says right into my ear.

And then…

Then she shudders.

Her waist shrinks between my hands, the dark gray abandoning her skin in uneven patches as the light dims from her eyes and her ears and fangs retract, the girl on top of me giving me a last, parting, sad smile as her claws stop prickling my chest.

I stare, mesmerized, as the tight shirt falls loosely upon now pale breasts resting on askew cups and wild tangles of hair turn into Roberta's tamed waves. As her eyes close and a guttural moan pushes past her throat, her head arching back, her hands sliding to my shoulders and falling past them into the books behind me when Roberta's soft, human body comes down to rest on mine.

"Brian?" she asks after a minute of shared silence that the cathedral-like library makes that much louder.

"Roberta?" I ask just… just to make sure. To know who I'm talking to.

"You were late," she says.

"This is a very bad time to bring up my list of grievances against the library's return policies."

"No, you… You moron," she says with a bit of her fire finally making it back to her voice. "You were late tonight. I… I tried to wait for you, but… but it—"

"She."

"What?"

There's a hint of betrayal in Roberta's eyes.

But they are far too much like Bobbi's eyes for me to go back on my word.

"She. I… I'll help you. But I'll help both of you," I say, making a stupid, rushed promise that I don't know if I can live up to.

The kind of promise that both Mom and Dad would be proud of me for.

"It's a curse," she says, her lips set into a thin line.

"She's magic," I counter.

Her eyes close, and when she opens them back, there's still the familiar amber of the woman I've grown to know over the past few months, even if I'm tempted to trick myself into thinking that there's a spark of another amber. A clearer one.

A glowing one.

"I know," she breathes out.

And then… then Roberta looks down at her open blouse and quite exposed breasts and grimaces in distaste before deciding to rest back against me, looking away so that I can only see the top of a head covered with black hair without canine ears poking through.

"Is it tiring?" I ask. Because there are a lot of things to ask, but I don't even know where to start, so I may as well try to be considerate.

"Sometimes. Others… it's like dreaming. Like dreaming of something that is perfectly right in the moment. Until you wake up," she answers.

"How much do you remember?"

"Like dreaming," she repeats. "Foggy glimpses. Haphazard cuts of a movie that you were too late for."

"Ah," I say. And then I realize that I'm still holding her waist, that I haven't let go, and… "So, that thing about sucking my cock—"

For some reason that would likely induce plenty of motherly cackling, I don't get to finish my sentence.

For about the same reason, I have a hand firmly pressed down on my mouth, fiery eyes looking down at me, and a half-naked woman being disturbingly pleasantly angry at me.

"What?" she asks, maybe not entirely cognizant of my enforced muteness.

I try to signal with blinks and eyebrow furrowing my current lack of communication capabilities, only for her eyes to narrow further into angry slits and her to, rather than further inquire, speak again:

"I was going to give you permission to… to rut the beast because I can't imagine you sticking around for so long without getting something out of the deal, but you just… how dare you do that without my permission. How dare you use my body to—"

My hands go from her waist to her wrists, and I turn us around, Roberta suddenly looking at me with surprised shock from beneath me, amber eyes vulnerable and open, and I speak with all the fury that a rush of adrenaline that has lasted through the entire night has given me.

"I would never take advantage of you. Of anyone. I had to tame an actual werewolf to keep her chaste, and I can't believe you would think that I—wait, wait, wait, what the Hell do you mean that you were going to give me permission to rut—"

"I—I don't—I know how she gets with your scent! I just—she's so—that's not me! That's just—can you… I… Brian?"

"Yes?" I answer with a dry throat that has nothing at all to do with Roberta seemingly having had lycanthrope-themed wet dreams about me.

"Why are you hard?"

"… Because I've been holding my confused, panicked libido back the entire night, and I'm pinning a barely covered, attractive hot librarian under me on top of a pile of books, and I would be lying if I said I haven't jerked off to this very scenario a few times."

"… I'm going to count to ten, and then I'm going to knee you in the groin."

"Fair enough," I say.

And then, with a last burst of adrenaline, I push up and away and start running like I did hours earlier.

Yet again, I find myself thinking that nameless jocks were an inadequate motivation.

Really, nothing quite compares to fiery, amber eyes.

=======================

So here we go, full-blast ahead. The next chapter's already up on my Patreon, where Lucca will introduce us to his morning routine and to a bit of stuff that Brian isn't aware of.

Nor are you, unless you're hacking into my computer. Or, you know, are subscribed. One of those things will make me happier than the other.

Anyway! I'm trying to keep to a bi-weekly release schedule, intercalating this with Wordsworth until one of them is over, so, from now on, look forward to Tuesdays being filled with either the incarnation of my wet nerd dreams or the incarnation of my wet nerd dreams.

Let me know what you think so far. That's the thing that I am looking forward to.

Patreon: LearningDiscord, Niklarus, Tinkerware, Varosch, Vergil1989 Crossover King, and Xalgeon. If you feel like maybe giving them a hand with keeping me in the writing business (and getting an early peek at my chapters before they go public, among other perks), consider joining them or buying one of my books on Amazon. Thank you for reading!

So the Bobbi/Roberta thing is not an allegory for being plural? :V

I'm starting to understand why Tolkien was so against allegories XD

More seriously, though, Bobbi and Roberta's relationship is about something that will become (hopefully) clearer as the story goes on. The metaphor can be broadened or narrowed to particular issues, though, and I don't have a problem with that. Stories are a collaborative effort, after all, and I'm not about to dictate what anyone gets out of mine; rather, I'll be happy if the story is enriched by perspectives other than my own.

Another intriguing Agrippa story, and an original setting too? Sign me up!

And hey, fencing gets some representation! Sabre best sword, way more fun and freeform than foil and epee. Lucca gave me flashbacks to the top fencer in my team, except he made up insane jumping attacks and battlecries when fencing with us newbies, just because he could. Weirdly effective.

Also, you mispelled "pret" as "prez" a few times.

Another intriguing Agrippa story, and an original setting too? Sign me up!

And hey, fencing gets some representation! Sabre best sword, way more fun and freeform than foil and epee. Lucca gave me flashbacks to the top fencer in my team, except he made up insane jumping attacks and battlecries when fencing with us newbies, just because he could. Weirdly effective.

Also, you mispelled "pret" as "prez" a few times.

Oh, hey! Nice to see you around here and to get some appreciation for the objectively best weapon (I have some fondness for foil, but, really, how can anything compare to the one weapon where we can still use the edge?). I also have some flashbacks to all the gratuitous yelling some fencers did as well, which clashed hard with my image of the sport, so... let's leave that up to Conor for a bit of extra flavor.

(Perticularly seeing as you have to yell after the action if you want to avoid a penalty.)

And darn it, can't believe I misspelled that. Thanks for the heads-up, fixing it now.

Lacmere University – Prelude [1.3k Words]
Author's Note: Okay, so, something about this chapter didn't sit quite right with me. I loved it when I started writing it, but when I got to the ending... it just didn't fit. I came up with a few variations, but all of them suffered from the same issue: I wanted this to serve as the hook I'd been told the first chapter lacked, but, at the same time, I didn't want to spoil any of the mysteries yet to be revealed. I couldn't put too much info, nor too much action, so this ended up being a character piece that set the tone and mood, but nothing else.

Moreover? It explored characters that would appear as distant figures in chapter 3 (the one already written). I think this works much better as something that explores those characters than as foreshadowing.

Or, well, as both things. Really, the foreshadowing here is plentiful, so I think that I'll get back to this after writing chapter four and look it over with fresh eyes for any other tweaks I may make. Sorry for the bother; I'm trying to improve rather than stagnate, so some growing pains are to be expected (just, hopefully, not too much of a pain in your ass).

Anyway, see you next week with Chapter 3. That one I don't feel conflicted about.

Lacmere University – Prelude [1.3k Words]

Author's Note: This prelude was originally written after Chapter 3. If you're reading this in the future, it will have been added to the start of the first chapter, so feel free to skip it. If you aren't from the future, enjoy!

The forest that surrounds Lacmere's campus is wilder than it has any right to be.

There are the expected evergreen Douglas firs with their penetrating odor, and some tall maples stand out from the conic trees, as well as some red cedars that contribute to the tapestry with their fragrant wood. Dark green mixes with the fiery colors of autumn, and the well-maintained trail I'm on is a carpet of decomposing leaves, wetly crunching under my bare feet.

Once, years ago, I wouldn't have dared walk like this in a forest. I would've been fussy about my blackened soles, my tanned skin marred with streaks of rich loam.

Now…

"You're enjoying yourself," the dean of the college I work for says with a slight, subdued smile.

I am.

Two women walking in the woods, one of them a tall blonde with the kind of beauty of a wheat stalk in the summer, bending in just the precise way to keep pace with the other, shorter one, the woman with green hair cut in a short, razor bob that disguises my unnatural color as a fashion choice rather than what I started becoming…

Long ago.

Long enough that I should be much older than I am.

Two women walking into the heart of deep, dark woods, past colorful mushrooms and clusters of crimson berries clinging to shadowed bushes. It should be the start of a horror movie.

There's even a monster here.

Or…

I look at the dean. At the woman who hasn't aged a day since she came looking for me and took me to this place where my skin darkened, and my hair turned green.

There's at least one monster here.

"We're near," she says, unnecessarily filling our comfortable silence, the one that's been born out of decades of working together.

And she's telling me about my—about our forest.

There's no need for it.

Except…

Except she takes a turn widdershins, between the unnatural arch below the branches of two umbrella pines that only look out of place in here if you know what to look for, that most students, even the biology ones, wouldn't think twice about their growing in the middle of a Pacific Northwest forest.

As we go through, another path appears, and this is the one we need to follow to reach the heart of the forest.

An oak.

Taller and older than anything in here, the bark is…

It's cracked grey, a tracery of shadows, yes, but… but it's also something deeper. Something that beats calm and steady, like the very forest sleeps, and the oak lulls it deeper with the rhythm of bark shifting yet remaining still under the motes of light raining down on it.

As always, as every year since my employment, I stand at the edge of the clearing that the giant occupies and watch as the tall, slender, eerie woman steps forward with a hand already stretched to touch my—to touch the ancient oak.

Her eyes slowly lid in what could be fondness, her lips lift up at the corners, heartbreakingly away from the mischief and joy she can display at times, and my boss slowly leans forward to rest her forehead against bark that is smoother than it looks, the entire scene wavering like the inside of a dream as golden haze rises from the ground in a way that was easy to ignore the first few times I witnessed it but that keeps being more evident with every year that passes.

With every year that my bare soles on dry leaves bring me a sense of ease I never felt growing up in the streets of Chicago, barren of all but the barest traces of greenery that I didn't know were so important to me.

To the lineage I wasn't aware of.

Until she came for me and told me.

"We were so young. So careless…" she mutters, not for my ears.

I wait, watching the heart-achingly beautiful display of serene pain, and let her… be herself. Like she rarely is when she puts up her mask.

Then, as the sun lowers to shine mottled, erratic gold past the canopy and over us, she finally turns back to me, and the smile turns slightly bitter. The first time, she had to explain what was expected of me.

Now I step forward until I'm by her side with my own hand stretched in front of me to touch ancient, cracked, grey bark, softer than it has any right to be, like the skin of a sleeping lover, reassuring in its presence.

It beats under me. And the beat quickens.

"Thank you, Chloe," she says.

"There's no need for that," I tell her with a reassuring smile, waiting for her to lay her hand atop mine and perform the ceremony we always have since I stopped being a clumsy, airheaded girl wondering why it was so hard to focus and became…

Me.

The me I had always been meant to be.

Her palm is unnaturally warm on the back of my hand, but it doesn't burn. It's like the summer sun. Like light playing across the crests of the waves of golden wheat turned into an ocean by a playful breeze. It's… life itself.

And it washes through me.

Through me and through my second heart. The heart of the forest. The heart of Lacmere.

My binding is redone. I can feel the threads of magic more keenly than ever before, my attunement to this other world steadily growing with every time the enchantment is reapplied as I find it easier to dive past the tall trunk and into the hidden web of dark roots spread deep below the earth, past wet, black loam and into the very rock beneath, granite cracking under the persistence of wood older than anything that surrounds us.

There's… a pattern. A circle that blooms into symbols I don't yet understand, that spirals around the entire campus and the surrounding forest. A circle that echoes like ripples in the lake by the side of the library, and that is engraved in every reaching root spun from the wood of an old oak.

There's an entire world underground made up of the roots of a tree turned into a spell, and that's where my mind goes, my boss working through me, her magic caressing the inside of my veins, making me gasp as life itself, as my life becomes woven art and wordless poetry.

As my mind gets diluted into a calm ocean of green and I find the focus I never did as a distracted young girl.

Then… Then it's done. The minute adjustments I can barely notice on the great work, the guidance of new growth gently herded into the old pattern, the…

My mind goes back to my other—to my body, and her hand holds me steady.

Like it has every year since she found me.

Since she remade me.

"Let's go. I think this will be an interesting year," she says with a twinkle of mischief in her eyes.

I answer with my own smile, something that I've had the chance to practice and perfect over countless hours guarding her office from regular students and from the other ones.

Lacmere, like my forest, works in seasons. It, sometimes, can pass as a regular place of learning, one where people interested in sports other than the more popular ones gather under the guidance of a board known for its eccentricities.

Then there are the years when the fencing club is filled with… them.

This will be one of those years.

And the dean is looking forward to it.

Remembering who, precisely, is about to enroll…

So do I.

=========================

Here we go, the little extra I promised you and about the only thing I had the strength to write, given my current health issues (more embarrassing than concerning, thankfully, but still debilitating). Any way, I hope this is an enjoyable read and hints at things without spoiling them. Let me know just by how much I missed the mark!

As always, I'd like to thank my credited supporters on Patreon: LearningDiscord, Niklarus, Tinkerware, Varosch, Vergil1989 Crossover King, and Xalgeon. If you feel like maybe giving them a hand with keeping me in the writing business (and getting an early peek at my chapters before they go public, among other perks), consider joining them or buying one of my books on Amazon. Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
Lacmere University – Chapter 3: An Oath and a Promise [4.4k Words]
Lacmere University – Chapter 3: An Oath and a Promise [4.4k Words]

Lucca

'He's not a good swordsman, is he?'

'Yeah. Pity we're fencers.'

I stare blankly up at the exposed beams crossing the ceiling of my room in the fencing club's dorm and push away the unwanted snippet of yesterday's conversation.

The morning is crisp, right after dawn, and the folded sheet is cool under my hands.

This is going to be unpleasant.

I force myself to get up, then remove the top of my button-up pajamas because I always hated the way that cloth rubs against my wrists when I exercise.

Not as much as I hate stretching, though, but since when has hating something stopped me from doing it?

My feet are together as I stand on the cold, dark wooden floor before bending down, keeping my legs straight until I touch the floor with my knuckles, then the back of my hands, then… then I strain until my taut hamstrings hurt in that way only stretches do, and I grab my ankles to pull down harder.

Then I hold.

I count up to sixty. Sixty seconds of measured pain, bending down lower with every exhale, then holding as I inhale until I reach the target and I'm allowed to slowly stand up.

Then it's the other stretches. The splits, the calf stretches, the wrist mobilization… the morning routine.

My breath is a bit rougher after I'm done, but not to the point of exertion. That's what comes now.

I drop to the floor, my body straight, my toes pushing against the wood boards, and I set my hands by the side of my shoulders before pushing myself up on my knuckles.

I am not a martial artist. Not a swordsman.

But I'm still used to the pain of pushing through. Of my skin grinding against old wood covered with thick varnish, glossy enough that I can see my eyes looking back at me when I hold myself at the lowest point of my pushup, with my bare chest hovering millimeters above the chill air clinging to the floor.

The eyes looking back at me are as cold and expressionless as ever.

It doesn't matter. I just push away.

Then I go back down. And up. And down. And I keep counting each repetition, holding my body straight and in perfect form, the motion smooth even as my muscles start to burn and demand that I rest.

I don't.

Not until I hear a low whistle coming from my window.

"A girl could get used to getting up to this kind of show, Luke," she says, anglicizing my name just because she can get away with it.

Because she's the only one who's allowed to.

"I am almost done," I grunt out as I hold myself up and break the rhythm of my breath to answer her before returning to the slow, even cycle of taking air in when I go down and exhaling when I push up.

"Pity. Maybe I should come earlier tomorrow?" she asks with what would be a sultry tone in any other woman telling me these words in this situation.

But there's a bit of a giggle in there. Joy that she's free to let out now.

Sweat drops from my brow, and there's a small puddle under me that is just deep enough to blur my reflection staring back at me from the dark wood.

I still can see myself smiling.

Then I remember… a lot of things and go back to being impassive.

And to my pushups.

I keep working out until I reach the count of a hundred. I can do more. Much more, after all these years of training myself.

But, for a morning routine, a hundred is enough.

I sit down cross-legged on the floor, the cold seeping through my blue pajama pants, and I wipe my brow with the back of my hand because I always forget to grab a towel before I do this.

"Jumping rope now?" she asks as if she doesn't know.

I still take the chance to look at her, answering with a silent nod as I take in… Bianca.

Short hair black enough that the grey morning light is like shimmering silver raining across it, cheeks full and red that highlight the soft, caring smile waiting for my eyes, and her own black eyes answering me when I met them.

She's sitting on my messy bed, the open window she just climbed through letting light stream from behind her, and she's leaning back, holding herself with her hands resting under her shoulders, her body as straight as any pushup or plank would demand as the heels of her combat boots lightly rest on the floor, not that far away from where I'm sitting.

"I can't imagine this isn't boring for you," I say.

She answers with an impish, exaggerated smile and an eyebrow waggle that makes me scoff, and that, in turn, makes her laugh.

So I turn away before she sees just how easily that coaxed a smile out of me, forcing the corners of my lips back down as I go to the archaic secretary desk that came with the room, the ancient piece of furniture made from the same dark, somewhat reddish wood as the floor, with a circular cover and enough little drawers that Bianca spent a good deal of our first day here rummaging through them in search of any kind of hidden mystery or clue while I tried to unpack my things without…

I push away that particular thought as efficiently as I did yesterday's conversation between Patrick and Brian and grab the jumping rope dangling from the back of the incongruously modern chair, then I set my smart band to keep count of my jumps.

A target of three hundred. I can do more, but… this isn't a marathon but a sprint.

So I step over the thin line of plastic-wrapped steel thread and wait for the band on my left wrist to vibrate, signaling the start of the exercise.

I focus.

No other thoughts are allowed to intrude. Just the fast rhythm of the rope hitting the floor right after I jump up the barest amount for it to pass under me, my hands whipping the rope faster and faster until I have to force myself to keep breathing rather than hold it in while my legs burn worse than my still tired arms, my chest heaving with the ragged passage of air, the loose muscles bouncing up and down at odds to my jumps, right on the verge of pain with how fast I'm going.

The band vibrates. That's a hundred jumps.

Focus. More focus. I feel the rope brushing right under my toes, and I have to refrain from chastising myself for the near miss as I jump as fast as I can go, faster than most can sprint, still in synch with the whipping motion of my wrists.

Another vibration. Two hundred.

Sweat drips down my body, and my skin is cold. As cold as Bianca was when—

I hit the front of my right foot with a crack that echoes inside the small room, and I catch Bianca about to move toward me out of the corner of my eye.

I shake my head, step over the rope, jump.

And focus.

I keep jumping as fast as I can until the last vibration signals the goal of three hundred.

Then I take a single, burning, pained deep breath and open the door to the small bathroom attached to the room.

"Oh? Going for a shower with a girl in your room? How bold—what the heck do you think you're doing?" she says with a hint of actual anger.

I look at her and silently tilt my head.

Then I reach up and grab the pull-up bar I installed a few days ago.

I make sure to engage my traps, turning the exercise into a full-body motion as I slowly rise with my head inside the bathroom and my legs bent at the hip, held straight in front of me, parallel to the floor and inside the bedroom.

Then I keep going until everything burns.

"You're going to overwork yourself," she says as she scuttles back on my bed, sitting in a more conventional way before she blinks and looks down, realizing that what she's sitting on is an unmade, open bed and shooting me an apologetic, sheepish look before standing up and throwing the bedcovers up.

And then she sits down.

Only to pat the blue covers by her side.

I answer with an inquiring eyebrow, and she rolls her eyes, inviting me once again, more forcefully this time, the slap of her hand on the mattress sounding almost like a drum before she gives me that look that I learned years ago is not to be argued with, even if it was for quite different reasons back then.

Back when she wore the white, airy sundresses her mother picked for her rather than the forest green cargo pants packed with all those pockets that she's now so enthusiastic about filling with all sorts of things that I don't know what she plans to do with, from river stones with a hole in them, to a silver rosary, and…

And I can't pretend I don't know.

I just wish I didn't.

That I could look at my childhood friend sitting on my bed with her dark green pants and red, sleeveless crop top, the black leather jacket opened and hanging down her arms to show me creamy shoulders and not have to think about all the things she wants to find and all those that I don't want her to learn.

But… But she's getting more impatient, and I don't know how much more my poor abused mattress can take, so I walk to sit down beside her—

And end up, somehow, lying down with my head on her lap and thin fingers running through my scalp.

"It's been a while since we did this," she whispers with a gentle smile that I can't help but answer, even if it's with a hint of bitterness.

"We grew up," I say, refraining from reaching up and tucking a single lock of straight, glossy black hair behind her slightly pointy ear.

"You can say that again…" she mutters, trailing off as her eyes move from mine and…

Uh…

"Bianca?" I ask, somewhat unsure.

"Yes?" she answers distractedly as her finger slowly trails down my breast bone, seemingly chasing after a droplet of sweat as I still completely under her touch, watching with my mouth half-open as she lifts her hand and examines the gleaming moisture on the tip of her forefinger, the nostrils of her button nose flaring open, her lips parting, and—

"Bianca," I repeat.

She blinks at her finger, then slowly looks down at me, her red cheeks darkening as her small, crimson tongue darts past her lips.

"Sorry! Sorry, I… I don't know what came over me…" she says with a hint of distress.

I could tell her.

I could tell her precisely what is going on. Why she's been acting the way she has since we came here, to Lacmere University, after we got an offer that I couldn't refuse.

But…

'This is Bianca; I hope you'll be great friends,' a woman that I didn't know told me as my mother gave me a nervous smile and stood by the side of her uncomfortably quiet child.

'Hi,' a shy, pale girl wearing a white sundress and grabbing her mother's hand greeted me before she looked up with a glint of interest. 'Do you like reading?'

I didn't. Not particularly. It was just one of those things that I did when I was asked to.

I still don't.

I just… like to hear her talk about the books she reads.

"Don't worry about it," I tell her before I force a playful, unnatural smile on my lips. "Puberty had to hit you at some point," I say before throwing an insulting look at a bust slight enough that she's self-conscious about it.

This, of course, ends with the gentle caress across my sweaty hair turning into a tight, somewhat painful grab and a girl with dark eyes bending over me to shoot me a murderous look.

Which, after the pain of my stretches, the burn of my pushups, the throb of the abused skin on my knuckles, the welt of steel thread hitting my foot, and the dull throb of my entire, overworked body…

It's quite refreshing, if I'm being entirely honest.

We don't share all of our classes. Bianca did force me to take world history with her, and I agreed because it aligned with my vague ideas about sampling a bit of each available major even as I focused on the classes I would need to qualify for a sports sciences degree, the one tattered remnant of what had once been a rigid plan for my next few years of education and my career afterward.

So we do at least meet three times a week in the imposingly large auditoriums that most classes take place in, except those with eccentric enough professors that they may take place in the archery field by the side of the castle's walls or in the underground facilities that most long-time students don't hesitate to call dungeons.

I'm just glad that they can't give us detention in college.

I think.

Still, even if Bianca and I don't meet for most of our classes, we always go to the cafeteria together. We did through the entirety of high school, and there's no reason not to keep doing it now.

'I missed you last week,' a boy who was still disturbingly quiet said.

'I'm sorry. My illness…' she said, fidgeting in their corner of the playground under a tree with white flowers that could've exacerbated her allergies but that she still loved napping under, with an open book resting over her belly.

'No. No, Bianca, I—sorry. I didn't mean to upset you,' the boy said, more solemn than he already tended to be.

'You didn't,' she answered, grabbing his hand with her smaller, colder one. 'I'm glad that you missed me, Luke.'

The boy stared at her smile, her white teeth peeking between pale pink lips.

'My name's Lucca,' he said, insisting yet again on something that he had given up on months ago.

'Luka's a girl's name. There's even a song that starts just like that: My Name's Luka, I live on the second floor—'

'Your singing's awful.'

'You can't say that to a girl!'
she yelled.

'You can't change someone's name!' he shot back.

And then they spent the rest of the lunch break talking and… and pretending that there hadn't been a week when she had been absent.

"Missed me?" she says right in my ear, her arms wrapped around my neck and her body pressed against my back as she hangs from me in a way that is as affectionate as it is close to strangling me.

"With every beat of my heart that we spend apart," I say, pretending to lie.

"Awww, you say the sweetest things. No wonder I have to keep warning off the girls crowding you," she says with sarcasm that is punctuated by the wet, loud kiss she lies on my cheek.

"I don't have time for girls," I say, shrugging before I grab her forearms and pull them forward and away from my throat. "I have my hands full with just one."

Bianca, rather than answer with an ironic quip, goes silent before she slowly climbs down from my back and steps around me.

She's standing on the grass by the side of the soil path that circles the castle's walls on the way to the cafeteria, looking at me, and…

And, for the first time in years, I don't know how to read her eyes.

"Hey," she says, "if you ever feel like I'm… cramping your style, or, you know…"

I blink at her. At Bianca being once again the shy girl scuffing the tip of her shoe on the ground, holding her arms behind her back, darting looks at me before she looks down at the lush grass that turns into a forest at her back.

I… recognize what I could say. What I…

What I can't say.

"Don't be ridiculous," I say instead, rolling my eyes before I flick my finger at the tip of her nose, making her yelp and cover it with both hands before she shoots me a glare that I pretend I'm unaffected by as I tilt my head invitingly and start walking toward the cafeteria.

I look ahead of me and see the squat, long building that circles a section of the castle's tall walls, walls that now have a new gate crossing them, leading from the outer building to the kitchens inside the courtyard and to corridors that allow the faculty staff to go in and out of the cafeteria without having to leave through the castle's main gate or crossing the dry channel that Brian is sure will one day turn into a fully functional moat.

I briefly wonder how Brian would deal with… with my situation. What he and his old books would have to say about what I'm going through.

But I swore an oath.

And it's one I'll never break.

"This is an abomination," I say, glaring at the piece of bread with molten cheese and tomato sauce dripping from it.

Bianca, sitting across from me on the long wood table, is giggling.

Of course she is.

"Seriously, why do you insist on inflicting this on me? I know what actual pizza is supposed to be like, Bianca. You've met my grandparents. You've been to Naples with me. How do you even use the same word for this piece of soggy bread topped with Emmental of all cheeses as you would with an actual mozzarella—you're laughing at me."

"No, no! Please, do go on! Tell me all about soggy bread and French cheese—"

"French? I'm talking mozzarella, not, not—not brie, camembert, Rochefort, or—"

"You really know a lot about French cheese, for somebody who despises them—"

"I don't despise French cheese. Their cheese may be the one redeeming thing that nation has—"

"What about the wine?"

"Oh, don't. Burgundy is so overrated. You want a nice, smooth wine that doesn't overpower the palate? How about an actual chianti and not that—you are laughing at me."

The girl in front of me, who has gone red from being unable to breathe, lifts both hands in a placating gesture as she tries and fails to look like she isn't laughing.

At me.

I cross my arms, regain my poise, refrain from sneering down at the affront to my grandparents' craft, and wait for her to—to stop making it so hard not to smile.

"Sorry," she finally says, grabbing a slice of the culinary offense and lifting it to cover her mouth but without taking a bite. "It's just… I like seeing you get passionate about things. You rarely do."

There's no reproach in her tone. Not really. Even if there could be.

'Why don't you try harder, Lucca?' the father of a boy who had lived in Italy until just a few months ago asked when he went over a report card.

'I didn't fail anything, Dad,' he said, still struggling with the new language he was forced to speak at all times, even when he was at home with a family that spoke his old tongue.

'No. No, you didn't,' the father said before he sighed and laid back against the sofa he was sitting on. 'But you can do so much more.'

The boy held his tongue.

His father was right, after all.

'It's criminal, you know?' the father went on, looking at the tall ceiling of their new home rather than at the boy standing in front of him. 'You're so talented, and yet… you content yourself with mediocrity.'

The boy kept being silent.

And he remained like that until his mother introduced him to a pale, sickly girl who kept talking about her books.

"I am passionate. About a lot of things," I say with a hint of offense when her laughing fit finally abates.

"Like fencing?" she asks with a change in tone that only makes me all too aware of the surrounding cafeteria, the chatter going on around us as we sit by the stone wall, closing us off to at least one way where others could sit with us.

"I'm good at it," I say with a shrug that I learned when answering my father's questions.

Her lips thin into a tense line, and her black eyes search mine in that way she has of not letting me look away even when I crave to.

"You could stop," she says before she drops the piece of uneaten bread back on her plate and wipes her fingers with a paper napkin just so she can reach across the old wood and place her hand on top of mine.

Hers used to be so much colder…

"I don't want to," I say as I turn my hand over under hers so I can hold her. So I can feel fingers shorter and thinner than mine being safely within my grasp.

"Promise me," she asks, squeezing back much tighter than I think she means to.

"I already promised you. A long time ago," I say with a smile that is… crooked. Tentative. Trembling at the right corner.

Afraid.

"Luke… We were children," she says, looking down and wetting her lips before looking up.

"We were," I say with a nod.

She's leaned forward, and I could lean in turn, meet her halfway over the table and food that she picked just to get a reaction out of me. I could kiss her brow in reassurance or her eyelids like that time I made her giggle when we were under a tree with white flowers that she loved more than her health.

I could… do a lot of things. Things that I'm ashamed to admit I've wanted to do for a long time.

But I won't.

Because she knows about a promise. A single one. The oath I offered to the girl enamored with stories about heroes that she would never be able to emulate with her failing health.

She knows about me kneeling by her bed, holding her cold hand, telling her that I would live the life she wanted. That I would take up fencing, parkour, horse riding, anything. Anything that she wanted to do. That I would master them so that she could watch me and live those things through me.

She knows why I wake up every single day to a painful routine that is just the warm-up for the rest of my day. About why I stopped coasting on mere talent and finally dedicated myself to something like my father always wanted, even if he never knew that I wasn't devoting myself to sports but to a single girl who overflowed with the dreams I lacked. Who had lent me the strength and drive I needed to live the life I now have.

She knows about who I am. About who I have become thanks to meeting her and feeling… Thanks to her.

She doesn't know about the second oath.

'I've never even heard about your college,' I told the recruiter, a woman taller than I was, with olive skin and hair tinted a shade of green lighter than her dress.

'Lacmere is prestigious among certain circles. You won't lack for future opportunities if you enroll—not to mention that the scholarship we're offering you is more than generous.'

We were in a vacated classroom that my high school had lent us for this one meeting that had gotten me out of AP Algebra, so I at least knew the offer was unlikely to be a scam.

But I still saw no merits in it. My father's job, the one we had left Italy for, paid well enough that a scholarship had never been a concern for me, and here they were, asking me to relocate from New Mexico to the Pacific Northwest when I still didn't know where Bianca would go, but I doubted it would be far from her parents—

'The offer includes a second scholarship, one meant for Bianca Adair—'

'Tread carefully,'
I snapped, only making the older woman slowly raise an eyebrow at me before she smirked.

'I assure you we only have the young lady's best interests at heart,' she said, reaching for her handbag and pulling out an unlabeled pill bottle. 'Our pharmacy department is, in fact, quite proficient in dealing with rare diseases, and we're willing to pay for her experimental treatment.'

This is the part of the story that Bianca knows. The reason why we both moved to the other end of the country. The way in which she finally became able to be as vigorous as her mind always was, with her crawling through my window quickly turning into an addition to my morning routine that she delights in being capable of.

I squeeze her hand as tight as I can, knowing that she won't squirm in pain now. That she can take it. That she won't even notice anything other than the intensity of my trembling hand on hers.

That's she's stronger, tougher than I am. Or can ever be.

Even if she doesn't know it yet.

'I'll do it. Anything. Anything at all that you want of me,' I told my new dean.

'I just want you to do what comes naturally to you, Mister Constantini,' the blonde woman said.

'Then…' my head swam, and I took a knee in front of her, my head almost brushing the long, black skirt that reached all the way down to the dark wood floor. 'Then I swear. For as long as she's alive and healthy, I'll be whatever you need me to be.'

'Alive. Such an interesting word when it comes to certain… edge cases,'
she said.

My eyes went to her desk and to the phials filled with scarlet liquid on top of it.

They only made me renew my oath.

======================

So, there were some theories about Lucca that I feel this chapter may shine a new light on.

(Insert cheeky grin here.)

But, really, Chapter 4 continues right where this left off from Bianca's PoV. It has been harder to write than I anticipated, but also very much satisfying. I hope that, when you get to read it, you'll think so as well.

Hmmm. Something vampire related?

On the one hand, spoilers; on the other, I may not be particularly subtle; on the other, other hand, the next chapter is from Bianca's PoV and, while she is unaware of her circumstances, I think I let out quite a few more blatant clues.

Or, well, blatant to anybody who's as much of a mythology nerd as I am. Which I believe accounts for about 98% of the site.

Lacmere University – Chapter 4: Baseless Rumors [4.3k Words] New
Lacmere University – Chapter 4: Baseless Rumors [4.3k Words]

Bianca

His hand is warm.

It always was. More than Dad's. More than Mom's. And those are the only other two hands that ever held mine when I was unable to leave my bed until…

Until Luke came into my life.

I look at him and try to find a smile hiding behind solemn blue eyes like I sometimes am able to do, but here and now, in the cafeteria of the college that he got us into… There is no smile.

Just piercing eyes, looking at and through me, making me gasp, making me…

Making me feel like a silly girl who just clumsily asked if I ever 'cramped his style' and is now trying to get him to open up about the promise he made me so long ago and how I fear my selfishness has hurt him and keeps hurting him to the point that I can barely look at myself in the mirror when I think about it only to find black, accusing eyes staring back at me, telling me about how I've clung to him all his life, how I have hijacked it, how I have…

I smile at him. Something warm, uncomplicated. Maybe a bit mischievous.

It's a smile that I've slowly changed since we came to Lacmere, but, at its heart, it's also the smile I always tried to wear for him.

I always try to make it genuine. For him.

For Luke.

"You heard about the rumor?" I say, forcefully changing the subject and squeezing his hand back as if his grip on me wasn't the most important part of what just happened.

"Which one?" he says with a disaffected eye roll that manages to make me giggle despite it all.

"Tell you what: you give me the one you're thinking of, and if they match, I won't drag you on an adventure."

"Please, do drag me into your adventures. Somebody needs to explain to the campus police what it is that actually happened when—"

"In my defense, Robin overreacted."

"Robin. The girl who shoots guns as a hobby."

"She also swords!" I refute. Or, well, I enthusiastically offer back because Robin is cool. Like, yes, I know she's just training for pentathlon, but somebody who shoots guns and fences will always be a pirate in my book.

Or, well, in many of my books.

… Even those that Luke will never learn about. There's only so much embarrassment I can take.

"If by 'she also swords' you mean that she's passable enough with epee… Right. She swords. As to how that's at all relevant when it comes to me very nearly getting shot—"

"She uses laser guns. Modern pentathlon doesn't allow real ammo," I say with no small amount of disappointment.

Because, yes, I do prefer swords, but something about an athletic twenty-something girl with a dueling pistol sounds… enticing.

And that's another thing I'm not telling Luke ever. Unless it's his birthday, and I'm drunk, stupid, skipping a lot of stages, and—

"You're blushing," the absolute moron says.

Still holding my hand.

"It's a thing girls do. You should try it sometime," I say before the image of him shirtless, his head on my thighs and a gleaming droplet of his sweat on the tip of my finger makes the blush redouble when memory and imagination blur, and now I've got the vivid image of his flushed cheeks underlining his blue eyes, which, really, isn't that far off from how he looks when he pushes himself to the point that his muscles look that much bigger just because of the increased flow of blood filling his body, and… Darn it.

He was right: puberty had to hit me at some point.

"Bianca, I am pretty sure that I'm equally capable of blushing as you are," he says with another eye roll and… a brief squeeze of his hand on mine.

I look up from the deep-dish pizza I picked up just to get him to react in that way that always makes me laugh no matter how often he's ranted about the same subject and once again meet his eyes, the chatter of the cafeteria fading away until we're just the two of us alone in the world like we were so many times.

I… I allow myself to enjoy it. To take heart in his being with me despite it all. On his promise.

Just… Just this one time. Just one more time. It's not too much to ask, is it? Just a bit more of stolen time with him by my side before I…

"So. Your rumor?" I say, uncaring of the cooling pizza and the warming orange soda.

"Are you really that set on ignoring what happened with Robin—"

"She got a bit of a scare, big deal. It will make for a good story, years down the line, when she tells her friends about the one time she almost—"

"Shot me to death."

"They are laser guns."

"She has a bow."

I blink at him. He scoffs.

"Really?" I ask, not quite knowing why.

"Really. She's much better with a bow than with a gun, but she's set on pentathlon for, and I quote, reasons."

"She's called Robin. And she's good with a bow," I say slowly, trying to hold back the bubbling glee.

"Don't," he says like somebody who had his sense of wonder surgically removed.

"This has to count as another rumor. What are the odds? A gifted archer named Robin who's on a pentathlon scholarship, so she has to be good at fencing and horse riding, and swimming, and trail running—this is marvelous. Why didn't you tell me about the archery thing? Oh, wait, is this your rumor? Because it clearly isn't the one I had in mind, but I can forgive you for it this one time—"

"Bianca, there's nothing magical about somebody named Robin picking a bow and arrow. I had an Errol in my fencing club and an unfortunately named Mexican instructor who warned me not to ever joke about having six fingers," he says as if his entire life's purpose was to rain on my parade.

"Fine. But I reserve the right to add her to the rumor list if she ever shoots an arrow through another one."

"I'll be sure to keep an eye out," he says, lying through his teeth.

Which, again, makes me giggle.

"Okay, so…" I say, grabbing the slice of pizza that I dropped earlier with my free hand. "What is your rumor?"

I bite into the thing that would make Luke's adorable grandparents fly into an apoplectic fit and delight in the crust crunching and the gooey cheese trying to escape from my teeth in elastic threads that I promptly slurp up, and, through it all, I try not to look at how Luke looks at me when I do so.

He still hasn't let me go.

Not until the very moment I think about it and his warm fingers leave mine to take a sip of his mineral water.

"Have you heard about the northern tower?" he asks, his lips shining with wetness, the sunlight coming from the high-set windows of the cafeteria tracing every contour and crevice of the soft flesh shaping his words.

I… I shake my head.

"All right, there's a rumor," he says, the emphasis painstakingly remarked, "as in, a baseless claim spread through word of mouth—"

"I know what a rumor is," I say, rolling my eyes and taking an insolently provocative bite of my delicious pizza in retaliation.

And, if a tiny moan escapes my mouth, that's just…

That's just because I'm still not used to food tasting anything other than bland.

"All right, just so we are clear. This time around, the rumor is that some people claim to have seen a woman in a white gown on top of the tower at the northern corner of the castle's wall, always on moonlit nights. A proper haunting story."

"That's it? No blood-curdling screams, eerie songs, or ethereal beauty? Just a woman taking a nightly stroll?"

He shrugs. "I really don't know what you expected."

"Well, quite a few things, to be honest. Maybe something to do with how clean your dorm always is?"

"We've got a maid?" he says with a raised eyebrow.

I remember the short, brunette woman I've met sometimes when visiting Luke who, because Lacmere, does dress like a maid, and I try to glare at him in a pre-emptive strike, just to see if he will look at all guilty—and of course he only looks confused.

Boys.

Or, well, a single boy. A boy who's single. And whose touch still lingers on my fingers.

"There's absolutely no way that poor woman is able to take care of an entire dorm that has the likes of Conor living in it," I say with not enough derision to come off as offensive. Really, I don't dislike Conor. Straightforward, maybe a tad self-absorbed, likely to have some kind of not strictly Platonic bromance with Patrick. Nothing against him.

It's just, if somebody in that fencing club will be a nightmare when it comes to dirty dishes, that's Conor. Even if only because of all the food needed to maintain the physique of that giant of a man.

"I really don't know enough about housekeeping to refute that," he says, lowering a last look of disdain at the pizza before taking a bite that he pretends not to enjoy.

"Okay, I'll tentatively add that as another rumor," I say with a beaming smile that has nothing to do with the splatter of tomato sauce marring the corner of his always immaculately shaven upper lip.

"What the—Bianca!" he protests in a rare show of embarrassment as I dab it away with my paper napkin, reaching across the table and holding myself up above the pizza, and…

He's close.

He's close, and I'm holding a napkin to his mouth, and he's looking at me, and he smells like he did this morning right after exercising, his shirtless torso dewed with sweat, blood flushing his skin, short hair under my fingers—

"Sorry," I mutter before I slowly pull away.

"There's… nothing to be sorry about," he says. Lying. Again.

So I smile at him once more with the one thing I tried to perfect when I was bedridden, and he was in class, when I only had the strength to read my books or, if not even that, lie half-awake, thinking about the boy who would come. Who would always come.

Because he had promised.

And I allow silence to fall between us before I try to lose myself in the vibrant flavors of the pizza he loves to hate.

"I've got Biology 101 and then a training session," he tells me as we walk away from the cafeteria.

"I've got a free period," I answer.

Unnecessarily because, at this point, I know his schedule by heart, and I know he knows mine as well. But it's… We're walking together, and we feel the urge to add our words to the cacophony of fellow students getting out and slowly spreading across a lawn that shouldn't be this vibrant, given the daily stomping it is subjected to.

"So… what was your rumor?" he says as if struggling to find a better subject of conversation.

A contradiction in itself. How could there be a better topic than the many rumors of Lacmere?

"Oh, this one is good; let me tell you all about the story I would like to title… The Horse by the Lake," I tell him with my best storytelling voice, adding a few spooky noises at the end to match the finger wiggles.

He looks as unimpressed as ever, but, really, if I wanted an appreciative audience, I would be speaking with Brian. Or to the idea of Brian that I've gotten from Luke's sometimes frustrated comments, which may be an unfair appraisal of Brian, but it's the best one I've got.

"Bianca, we have a horse-riding club," he says, already resorting to pointing out the lack of anything extraordinary in a story I haven't even told him about.

"The club is on the other side of the campus, I very much doubt they allow their members to take out the horses for a night stroll," I say with my right hand throwing an airy dismissal that I thoroughly enjoy.

His eyebrows scrunch, and he looks toward the lake we can see spread past the library, green waters reflecting a broken streak of sunlight high with early afternoon, with tall trees gently swaying behind it marking the first row of the forest that rises up into a gentle slope that becomes a hill before it fades into the background of mountains.

"So. The story is that a horse appears by the lake at night?" he says, to which I answer with an enthusiastic nod and broad smile. "And how's that so much different from the lady in white at the north tower?"

I stare at him. Then I blink.

"Totally not the same thing," I say in a tone that's not sulky at all, even if I cross my arms for added effect.

"Really," he says.

"Really!"

"No blood-curdling screams? No eerie songs—"

"You can be such a jerk sometimes," I say with just a slight pout before I kick a round stone that has dared stand in my way on the dirt path running out of the cafeteria.

"I can," he answers with a careless shrug, just as we reach the intersection, and he stops to look at me with an inquiring look.

"Go ahead," I say. "Don't want you spoiling your perfect attendance record."

He, again, rolls his eyes at me and starts turning away toward the branching path that will take him to his dorm and the class material he's likely left there, and—

He kisses me.

Just… a brush of soft lips on my cheek that leaves me breathless, that fills my head with his scent, that makes my heart thunder at the nearness of his warmth, and—

And then he's turning away and waving goodbye over his shoulder without a further word.

Leaving me to stare stupidly at his retreating back, my fingertips reaching for the tingling spot on my cheek that—damn Italians and their courtesy greetings.

I'm used to it. I know how little it means. I've seen him kiss his mother and father goodbye like this a thousand times.

I'm used to it.

Except, lately, I very much am not.

Reading fantasy was my escape.

Whenever my body failed, and nobody knew why, whenever Mom got scared that I wouldn't even live to be as young as Grandma was when she died of the same illness that thankfully skipped my mother, whenever I had to rest in my bedroom with the white wooden shutters only letting thin stretches of light in… fantasy was my escape.

I loved every book I could get my hands on, from colorful fairy tales to those that were only decorated with black and white woodcut illustrations. I loved comic books and silly little novels about mouse detectives. I loved all of them.

But fantasy always was my favorite.

Because it showed me worlds other than the one outside my window. It showed me not things as they were but as they could be—should be. It told me of heroes who triumphed over great evils, who stood up again and again, no matter how dire the odds.

I liked to imagine it. That I was a heroine and my unnamed illness a dragon. That I would always come back after every defeat. That I would one day triumph.

But the dragon wouldn't let me. It kept me prisoner, not as a heroine, but as a princess waiting for her knight.

I close my eyes and lean back against the coarse bark of the red cedar tree I have climbed just because I can. Yes, maybe to be a bit dramatic as I lounge on a thick branch with my right leg stretched along it and my left bent back so I can rest my forearm atop my knee in an indolent pose that may have been inspired by the idea of Robin being another kind of Robin. One with a Peter Pan cap that would look adorable on top of the sprightly girl.

Below and in front of me is the peaceful lake with green waters that show the gliding, blurry reflections of the clouds above. Beyond it, there's the cathedral-like library, and beyond that, the castle that our teachers reside in.

I was so damn jealous when I heard about that last bit…

But… now? Here? I've claimed another piece of fantasy.

Because most authors can't help themselves. They all want to be Tolkien, telling you in exhausting detail about the world they have crafted and every little part of it. They will tell you about cultures, politics, fashions…

And trees.

They'll paint stunning vistas that drag you out against your will. That carry you to the highest peaks on the wings of a giant eagle only to then drag you down to caverns filled with the flickering shadows cast by the forges of dwarves. They'll tell you every little thing you never knew you needed to know so that you can live in that place they are pouring from their heart straight into your mind.

And they'll talk about trees. About the leaves and grass that the hero finds along the way.

But, to me? For many, many years?

A cedar was an evergreen conifer.

Because that's what the dictionary told me.

I knew it had a strong scent, one characteristic and soothing. That it grew tall, that it never wilted through winter, that its leaves were like thick, green feathers.

I knew.

But I hadn't lived it.

So I close my eyes and take a deep breath of cedar, noting all the ways in which it doesn't smell like the scented candles I asked Mom to buy for me, and I listen to the swaying branches as I feel the texture of the wood through my cargo pants and leather jacket.

I… I step away from my memories of ink on white and…

And live.

My breath hitches as my eyes sting, and I furiously rub them with the back of my hand, trying not to let the past steal the present from me. To just enjoy what I now have rather than regret what I didn't.

What I trusted Luke to…

I close my eyes tighter and banish the uncomfortable, painful truth.

I'm not here to mope, no matter what appearances may point at otherwise. I am here to solve a mystery.

And just the thought of it is enough to make the itch in my eyes recede and a smile to come out.

Okay. Facts.

Plenty of people have been talking about the horse, which is, in and of itself, somewhat remarkable. It's just a horse neighing near the water, so why would anyone think it needs to be talked about? Luke had a point when he ribbed me about this.

… Not that I'm going to tell him, of course. Not once I come back having solved one of Lacmere's rumors by myself while he's stuck in the club, beating up Brian for his crimes of reminding Luke too much of what I would likely have been like if not for—not now.

All right. A supernatural horse that comes out near water. Or maybe that lives in the water. I guess a hippocampus would be too much to ask for? I bet it would be amazing to ride one of those; maybe I could ask Robin for lessons and—focus.

Maybe a nuggle? That would be nice—it would point me in the direction of other fae, or maybe Scottish myths? Or, well, it may be a pooka. A shapeshifter would explain how something as big as a horse keeps being heard but not seen.

The truth is that I don't have a lot to go on. So, I may as well get some facts of my own.

And I've got the thing just for that.

Once again happy about my many, many pockets that Mom's dresses were always lacking in, I unclasp the one by the side of my right thigh and rummage past the uncomfortably cold silver necklace to grab the round stone at the bottom of it. It's something that I found by the side of the clear stream that goes through the forest and then vanishes underground before presumably feeding the lake below me.

A round, unremarkable river stone.

Except it has a hole in it.

And, really, after reading so much fantasy? I know destiny when I'm faced with it.

Because river stones with a hole worn through them are magic. They have to be. They… This one? It felt like a tingle on my palm. Like the river still flowed over and through it with a quiet whistle for my ears only.

And then I looked through it. Because that's what you're supposed to do with holes in stone: you're supposed to look through them and see magic. Spirits. The invisible world hidden from everyone else.

I didn't. I just saw the forest and the clear stream.

But I held onto it.

And now… Now I look once again, searching the surface of the lake and—

A line of rippling water plows across the surface, gentle, cresting waves turning into churning white foam, and I have to blink and close my eyes, looking away from the hole to make sure that… that there is no line and no foam outside of the window in the stone. That I'm seeing something…

Magic.

Magic.

Magic!

I shove the stone in my pocket and grab the branch of red cedar under me before swinging down, my palms right on the verge of getting scrapped by the coarse bark, the tree creaking and protesting as I drop right on the other branch beneath me so fast that I almost slip before I drop down and grab it with both hands, taking a look over the side to check that I'm still too far from the carpet of brown leaves to risk jumping down, so I crawl back to the trunk and look for the path of knots and branches that I used on my way up when I decided to be suitably dramatic without caring for the darn logistics of rushing back to where I need to be.

I almost slip three times before I decide that I'm close enough to the ground to risk it, and I let myself drop away from the solid trunk, my legs bending immediately as soon as I feel the leaves crack through the soles of my boots, my ankles protected from the abrupt strain by the thick leather that I maybe should substitute for hiking gear, aesthetics be damned, and—

The stone sings in my hand when I reach back for it, and the waters of the lake part only in what I see through the tiny window I hold in my hand as I stop breathing. As I contemplate everything that should be, that should always have been, and was denied to a sickly girl clinging to fantasy.

Then I run.

My smile hurts on my tight cheeks, and I almost stumble on quite a few roots as I keep staring through the piece of enchantment in my grasp, but I don't lose sight of it anymore. I keep running straight at where the line of white foam points, on this side of the lakeshore, almost right in front of me.

I keep running toward destiny.

And, when I run past the last tree before the shoreline, reaching the small beach of gray sand and tiny pebbles, the line grows into a frothing circle, and green water turns into…

Into a black, beautiful horse with kelp in its mane.

The horse that I can only see out of one eye rears up, backward hooves waving in the air as it lets out a neigh that I can feel more than hear, and then it steps forward, its shape wavering before my eyes, four hooves turning into hands and feet, black fur into pale skin, and—

Blue eyes.

Blue, piercing eyes look at me, and the young, well-muscled, naked man extends a hand in silent offering, his face as solemnly expressionless as ever.

I take a step forward.

His hand, despite the cold lake water, feels as warm as it ever was. Warmer than Mom and Dad's.

Then he smiles.

"Ride with me," he says with words that pierce through my heart. Words that feel like I've waited for them through my entire life since a silent boy came in and changed it. Since he brought me a light that I had only found between pages open to worlds with swords, magic, heroes, and…

"Luke," I say, stepping forward, raising my hand to cup his cheek, water droplets flowing down his hair and over my fingers.

His arms surround me.

He lifts me up.

Then he steps back, over the lapping waters.

And I barely notice a stone falling to gray sand before my arms are around his neck, my chest against his back, and we ride.

=====================

I wasn't aiming for a cliffhanger. Please, don't hurt me.

Or, well, if you're that aggravated, I guess you could head over to check out the next, 7k words chapter and berate me for the direct continuation of this scene. Oh, no. Please, don't do that. Reader feedback, my only weakness.

Okay, all joking aside, Bianca became a very important character to me. Do let me know how I'm doing, because you know how invested I am in this project. As always, thank you for reading, and to @shaderic for making this all possible.

Shapeshifting horse with kelp in its mane? Abort! Proceed no further! Run away! There's one critter which fits that description, and it is Bad News.

Shapeshifting horse with kelp in its mane? Abort! Proceed no further! Run away! There's one critter which fits that description, and it is Bad News.

*looks at the first scene of the next chapter*

I... I don't know what you're talking about. This is definitely an endearing scene about Lucca revealing his magical lineage to his childhood friend. Nothing worrying going on here. Not at all.

Okay, if it's any consolation, the next chapter will come out next week--on a Tuesday, if I manage to get a grip on my current backlog. Look forward to me writing something very, very hurtful.

I got far more attached to her than I expected through this chapter. Which shouldn't be a surprise; I almost always end up falling in some degree of love with my PoVs.

Back