Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (Restoration Queen Edit)

Prologue

Vocalist

Verdant Maiden in Violet

Well, hello there. (Sorry about the tiny screenshots. I figure out how to fix them later.)

This here is my attempt to document my playthough of Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, the eighth game in the long-running strategy RPG series. It is my first full playthrough of any retro FE game. Although I've been calling myself a Fire Emblem fan for years, I have only ever played the modern (i.e. Awakening and later) games. I simply don't own the platforms for most of them. But emulating the Game Boy Advance, I am told, is fairly idiot-proof – and there are three Fire Emblems on that console.

Of the three, why did I choose Sacred Stones? Well, the other two are a duology, and because I have a fairly bad track record of finishing games I preferred the one with a self-contained story. Secondly, that game has a reputation for being far too easy – and, given the sort of devoted minmaxers who populate the FE fandom, I think it should offer a challenge more appropriate for my own skills. Thirdly…well, given the choice to play as a man or a woman, I will pick the woman, nine times out of ten! (And that other time is limited to second playthroughs where I'm trying to romance unfortunately-heterosexual ladies).

And Sacred Stones lets you choose which of two twins – Ephraim or Eirika – you want to be the main character. Sold. I'm doing this.

Now a word on my setup: I am playing this on my laptop using the emulator Visual Boy Advance. Modders apparently understand the code for this game about as well as their ABCs by this point, and everything from bug-fixes to entire new campaigns in the same engine are available, but for my first playthrough I was going to go completely vanilla.

Then while browsing Serenes Forest I followed a link to this mod, Restoration Queen. It's a "script edit focused on bringing Eirika and other female characters to the forefront of the story" – in other words, there was a palpable aura of misogyny hanging around some parts, where you could tell the writers didn't really respect the female characters, and these two modders did their best to counteract that. (You know, the kind of moment where a male character is like, "But as a FRAGILE WOMAN you must stay here and be safe while I fight!" despite the fact that his party has been half-female for the whole game.) I definitely vibe with that urge – in fact, I have actually written fix-it fanfiction for similar reasons – but I feel that it's important to experience the original script and form my own opinions on it, rather than the version filtered through someone else's –

Oh and the mod also includes explicitly romantic female/female supports? Sold. I'm doing this.

So the following playthough will be of the Restoration Queen version, which does not make any major changes to the story's events. Sorry if you wanted to read my thoughts on sexism in Japanese media, but my lesbian yearnings need to be fed.

One more thing that I ought to address before I start is my position on spoilers: please don't. While we are all in this thread, any material that happens later than my latest post does not exist, and you will not hint at it. It's admittedly an artificial barrier, maintained mostly for the sake of preserving my emotional reactions. I've never played this game before, but you can't hang around FE fandom spaces without absorbing some details through osmosis. However, for the purposes of this Let's Play I will be taking all that knowledge and shoving it in a desk drawer, and I recommend that you do the same.

So! Let's begin!

We begin with a killer opening. Ephraim and Eirika get flashy introductions (while I was still figuring out how to take screenshots), followed by some more characters.

This guy's portrait looks a little janky though? It's more zoomed-out than everyone else's and that makes his face look small. I think they were trying to fit his horse in the portrait, but then they cropped the horse almost entirely out and it just looks bad.

Then what seems like every character in the game gets a little portrait that flashes by quickly. (Fire Emblem, for the unfamiliar, are strategy games where you control a whole army, or at least an approximation of one. They tend to have a lot of playable characters.)

We land on the title screen, I start a new game, and – since the game's reputed level of difficulty is very low – I choose to play on Difficult. I'm not great at these games, but I like to think I'm not bad, either.

We then get a pretty generic backstory text crawl. Ancient darkness, Demon King, all hope was lost, the hero Grado sealed it away with Sacred Stones, yadda yadda. What follows that generic exposition dump is a much more specific exposition dump, one of those zoomed-out views of the continent (called Magvel, by the way) that proceeds to highlight each country and talk about them one by one. I love these. I don't care if they're cliché and they promote an over-simplified view of geopolitics, I love it when stories do this.

Unfortunately, I can't include all my screenshots because of the limit on images per post, so have the most relevant two countries and Jehanna, which gets special treatment on account of Queen Ismaire being very pretty. Will she be a playable character? Gods, I hope so. FE tends to be stingy with mature female characters – you'll get one or two grizzled male war veterans, but women, apparently, wilt like lettuce after age 20. Grumble grumble. Of the countries I couldn't show you, Frelia is ruled by Hayden the Sage King, Rausten is ruled by the Divine Emperor Mansel, and Carcino is a merchant republic (with no named ruler). It's not every day you see one of those represented in this kind of story (since they cleave so tightly to an idealized vision of monarchy). I'm not confident that Carcino will be very important, but we'll see.

Finally, the background is out of the way and the story proper starts: Grado (the country was presumably named after the ancient hero) has invaded Renais. Their devastating advance is conveyed through some red enemy sprites on the map, surrounding the blue 'player' sprites. I also love this style.

We now transition to a scene within the throne room of Castle Renais (by the way, is anyone else here irritated by the tendency of some stories to give a country's capital the same name as the country itself? It's confusing and it breaks my suspension of disbelief. Just make up a second name!) Ah, back on topic: King Fado receives a message runner who tells him that the gates have been breached and there's no way they can pull through. Prince Ephraim is fighting elsewhere, but they haven't had word from him in days and he's certainly too far away to lend aid.

He replies to this news with an amazingly composed, "I understand." Then he gives the order for all his men to lay down their weapons. It's an understated scene, but it's clear that, despite being called a warrior king, he doesn't want his men to throw their lives away fighting in a last stand. Then he calls to his daughter, Eirika, who is standing beside the throne.

…He asks her about her bracelet, oddly enough. The conversation is calm, and he orders a red-haired guy (I think it's the janky-looking guy on a horse from the intro!) named General Seth to take his daughter to Frelia and ask the king there for aid. Despite the matter-of-fact dialogue, this scene is quite tense (there's an excellent music track playing) and as it goes on you can see these people start to break down, starting to get more emotional.

King Fado refuses to flee. It's not just that he feels it's his duty as king to stay here to the very end – he also feels a burning desire to know why the Empire of Grado invaded, and aims to ask them himself. It's becoming clear to me now that Renais's swift fall wasn't just because Grado was bigger and more powerful, wasn't just because this is the first act crisis that can't be stopped – they simply weren't prepared at all. The two nations were allies.

Usually, wars don't break out overnight. War is actually very expensive and usually unpopular. It's a political last resort. Wars break out after tensions build for years. Nations invade when there are clear advantages to doing so, and they invade the neighbors who were already scared because of the clear possibility of an invasion. Grado invading Renais would be like the United States invading Canada. Why break into your friend's house and rob the place when you could just ask him for a loan?

Eirika starts yelling, trying to make him reconsider. It's clear that they all expect King Fado to die doing this. Seth just…well, the animations are limited, but it really looks like he just throws her onto his horse and leaves (let's not question what his horse was doing inside the throne room). Another cavalier leaves with them.

Immediately, the room fills with red sprites (red means enemy, and in this case, presumably Grado's soldiers. Gradoan soldiers? Gradene? I'll decide later. I've already decided that the demonym for people from Renais will be Renaisian.) Fado's last words are a plea for his children to pull through. The scene fades out.

Outside, we learn that the soldier who left with Seth and Eirika is named Franz. Seth orders him to ride ahead. Fire Emblem usually operates on the assumption that the characters you control are a sort of abstraction – of course you didn't win this battle with just eleven people, there was a whole army there, these are just the important people in the army. But in this moment, it's clear that Eirika, Franz, and Seth are literally just Eirika, Franz, and Seth. And they would really appreciate not being just Eirika, Franz, and Seth while the whole country is crawling with hostile soldiers, so Seth sends Franz on ahead in the hopes that he can get some extra men from Frelia – leaving just Eirika and Seth.

And what do you know! Some hostile soldiers show up! The sprites are tiny and complex, but I think those are supposed to be wyvern riders, a recurring class in FE. They're led by a dude named Valter, who claims to be a Gradoan General, and immediately he pegs Eirika as the princess. As an example of the kind of changes introduced by the Restoration Queen mod, in the original script Valter's line is "You there, with the girl. Tell me, would that be the wayward princess of Renais?" He's addressing Seth, not Eirika herself.

There's a little in-game battle cutscene as Seth stands in defense of his charge (Valter delivers a badass line here, which I screenshotted for posterity. Note, too, his sick pink-and-indigo mount.)(Another note: he's using a lance, when in the games I'm accustomed to, wyvern riders use axes. Interesting.) Seth cannot beat him, and after one round of combat he grabs Eirika again and skedaddles. Valter stands there and boasts a little more, but he doesn't pursue despite the fact that, as a flying class, he and his men should have mobility equal or superior to Seth's.

In the following scene, Seth apologizes for grabbing her (again) and Eirika tells him that he has standing permission to carry her out of life-threatening peril from now on. I find this scene funny because it seems to confirm the interpretation that Seth really has been throwing her on his horse like a royal potato sack and riding like hell. Ouch.

Seth hands Eirika a weapon (a Rapier) and tells her she'll need to defend herself, even though her sprite has been holding a sword this whole time.

And immediately after this, soldiers appear! It's time for the combat tutorial!

This first map is quite small and simple in layout. Only three enemies, arranged in a tight corridor bounded by mountains. All of the enemies in this chapter are axe fighters (even though Valter's wyvern riders would logically be the ones in pursuit), the better for Eirika to style on. You see, where other games have elemental strengths and weaknesses, Fire Emblem has a 'weapon triangle'. Swords beat axes, axes beat lances, and lances beat swords. It's just a point of damage and a few percentage points of accuracy either way, but it matters a surprising amount. HP in Fire Emblem games is relatively constrained – as an example, Eirika here starts with 16 HP, which is fragile, but I've seen fragiler. As a rough benchmark – because this does differ from game to game – 40 HP is good for a tanky player character, and 80 HP is late-game boss material. So a one-point difference in damage is actually significant. Plus, an enemy you can't kill in one round is an enemy who can deal full damage to you on their turn. While I'm explaining the basics of Fire Emblem, I'll go through basic combat.

You start your turn by selecting a unit, moving…

Selecting an action from the menu (Eirika is in range of an enemy, so she can attack)…

Checking the combat forecast to make sure it's a good idea to attack that guy… (To read the combat forecast, just remember that blue means player and red means enemy. So Eirika here has 16 HP, deals 7 damage (times two, she attacks twice because she has greater speed), with 100 percent accuracy and a 14 percent chance to do a critical hit. Meanwhile, the enemy soldier has 23 HP, does 9 damage, with a 39 percent chance to hit and a 0 percent chance to crit.

And on her very first try, Eirika gets a critical hit! Critical hits double your damage, so all together she does 21 damage to this guy…leaving him with two HP. Huh.

You know, I think I understand now why people say that Eirika is a weak character. She can't kill an enemy in her tutorial chapter with a critical hit – she starts with 4 Strength, which is not ideal for someone who uses a sword – and is so fragile that those same enemies can kill her in two hits. Sure, they only have a 39 percent chance to land those hits, but it's still not comfortable. Let's say Eirika were to get hit during this first battle, taking 9 away from her HP and leaving her with 7. If you use Seth to then kill one of the two fighters in front of her, your turn would be over because all of your units have moved. Then, the remaining fighter would go, attack Eirika, and – if he got lucky and hit – kill her. Game over. On the tutorial battle.

Well, these enemies have bad enough accuracy that we don't actually take any damage in my run. Although, in a nice touch, Seth still has only 13 HP left from his unsuccessful attempt to fight Valter. I like it when FE integrates story and gameplay like that. Perhaps it's also an attempt to encourage players to use Eirika, since Seth is more than strong enough to kill all the enemies by himself. Yes, even with his injuries – they only do like 2 damage to him, and unlike Eirika, he does enough damage to kill them in one round.

Look at how much better his numbers are! Seth is an example of a "Jeigan" – it's a character archetype named after a guy named Jeigan from the first game (the FE fandom is full of terms like this – imagine if, every time a dark knight showed up in a Final Fantasy game, fans started calling him 'a Cecil', and then other fans would object, arguing that he can't be a true Cecil if he doesn't start on the side of evil and then defect). Anyway, a Jeigan is an experienced older knight who rides a horse, fights with a lance (Seth starts with both a lance and a sword), advises and guards the hero, and has stats and equipment that the other characters can't hope to match until much later in the game.

Why am I telling you this? On one hand, it is kind of silly and immaterial trivia. On the other hand, it's a great example of how Fire Emblem likes to meld story and gameplay. Of course the experienced knight starts at a higher level than the fresh-faced young protagonist. Of course an important noble would have a bodyguard for protection.

A good way of viewing Fire Emblem gameplay is that each character the game gives you is a tool in your toolbox. Each tool has the uses it's suited for. Seth – and characters like him – are exceptionally powerful tools. You can send them to thin a swarm of enemies and they'll make it through dinged but alive; you can send them across the map to reach a side objective with their high mobility (being on a horse and all); you can use them to safely kill a boss with high defenses that no one else can touch. But know that, since their level is so much higher than the enemies in the early game, they will gain very little experience from kills. Your other units could have used that kill to get a level up…oh, and that fancy lance? It's got limited durability. Weapons in Fire Emblem can only be used a limited number of times before they break. Seth can hit an enemy exactly twenty times with his powerful Silver Lance, and thirty times with his less-powerful Steel Sword. I am going to be treating him going forward like, say, a powerful gun with limited ammo. Use him for the jobs no one else can do, and otherwise save the exp for my faster-growing units.

Gods know Eirika's going to need it. 4 Strength and 3 Defense. Wow. This is my protagonist. I have to use her in every battle.

Anyway I use Seth to take down the boss, a Gradoan commander named O'Neill, and that's the end of this battle. There's another small scene. Eirika and Seth catch their breath, and Eirika takes the time to air some of her feelings.

Of course you're fine, you didn't take any damage in that battle! More seriously – Eirika has never killed people before. She's only ever known training, not real battle (Still doesn't excuse not being able to kill enemies in the tutorial with a crit! If your story's getting in the way of good gameplay, change the story!). Her brother seems like more of a warrior – and it's too early to say anything about this Lyon character – but she really doesn't like killing people. She recognizes the true ugliness of war.

And then she's done. Excellent!

I'm genuinely being complimentary here – Eirika's monologue, Seth's response, and her concluding statement are done in ten presses of the A button (well, the Enter key, I'm playing this on a laptop). I counted. She expresses her shock and disgust, asks why the Emperor of Grado would start a war, resolves to keep fighting until she can be reunited with her father and brother, and we're done. It's evocative, economical writing, and I say that in a spirit of praise. I've played enough JRPGs and visual novels that go on and on – characters will say they're storming out in anger and take ten presses of the A button to get to the door. Perhaps there's something to be said for old-fashioned memory space limitations.

And with that, we're done with the Prologue!
(I'd like some feedback - how are the images looking? It took me a lot of wrangling to get them here, and I know they're a little small. I can try to make them bigger.)

Last edited:
I've actually played this Fire Emblem title before, although never got that far into it. Always felt the protagonist was pretty cute, and until you introduced that mod I never noticed issues in the game dialogue regarding how it treats women. The mod alterations seem nicer - certainly I'd prefer to be addressed vs my guard if someone's asking after my identity.

I believe many emulator nowadays allow you to play with different render resolution, vs the actual hardware settings. In the case of GBA this would mean you might be able to get 1080p or higher vs 240x160 pixels. Presently those images are quite tiny, especially on mobile.

Oh, hey, a Sacred Stones playthrough...
A Sacred Stones playthrough?!
And someone playing it for the first time?!
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH—ahem. Wow. Haha. Excuse me. I was surprised. But a happy surprised! I have a soft spot for Sacred Stones. It was the first Fire Emblem I beat, since I got stuck by accident for my first Fire Emblem, FE7/Blazing Sword (though to my credit, I did make it pretty far and with minimum deaths despite being a kid), and I'm fond of many of the characters. So again, happy to see a Fire Emblem fan who got in through Awakening/the games afterwards giving it a try. I'll admit, I'm a little worried about you using a mod because of, well, as you said, it is filtered through someone else and you won't know what it has filtered, but...from the few screenshots, and looking at only some of the support log (one of the screenshots gave me a bad impression on how the mod would handle one support I personally adore)...I'd say it probably won't be that bad...I think. There is one particular scene I am worried on how they'll handle it involving Eirika (fellow Sacred Stone players: you all know the one) and I won't say anything more on that otherwise I'll hint as to what it is.

Before I talk anymore on the game itself though, just a little thing I wanna comment on:

Well, the other two are a duology, and because I have a fairly bad track record of finishing games I preferred the one with a self-contained story.

Well, if you ever feel up for it, you can just play Blazing Sword, aka FE7, aka "Fire Emblem" and not worry about it being a "duology" because that game was made to be the first release in English, and as such they wrote and made the game assuming you know absolutely nothing about FE, even though it is a prequel to the previous game. And I say that as someone who played this as her first FE game. I personally wouldn't call the other games a duology. I would rather assign that to Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyways, back to the game and... -sees spoiler policy- ...does how a character works in gameplay count as spoilers too? Like Seth? Because I have things to say on Seth, but at the moment it's mainly it's in how he works differently to what is considered a "traditional" Jagen. ...you know, on the safe side, I'll count it as spoilers... Though I'm not sure when exactly I can bring it up, since, like, when would it count as "not a spoiler" for telling how a character works/is supposed to work? X/ Ah, whatever. I'll do some quotes and then talk in general to avoid the temptation.

Gods, I hope so. FE tends to be stingy with mature female characters – you'll get one or two grizzled male war veterans, but women, apparently, wilt like lettuce after age 20.

Well, there is one, no, actually two in Binding Blade. And at least one in Blazing Sword. And [REMOVED BY ANANKOS]. And in the Tellius games. And technically several in Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776 by virtue of their plots, but there are no confirmed ages from there except for [REMOVED BY ANANKOS], also by virtue of plot and the calendar dates/years being listed. So...honestly about the same rate as playable older men? Aka one or two women at around mid-20s or above per game, though they're a more in the last few new games. Unless you mean like "actually looks like an older/old person" like Vander in Engage, then uh, yeah, I think there are less playable old women than playable old men.

Of course unless you go into Heroes, in which case there are WAY more older female characters that are playable than in any of the others, but I know most people don't want to since it's a gacha game, and I wouldn't blame them, as fond as I am of plenty of the characters original to the game.

(by the way, is anyone else here irritated by the tendency of some stories to give a country's capital the same name as the country itself? It's confusing and it breaks my suspension of disbelief. Just make up a second name!)

Huh. Never really noticed that it should be odd. But then again, I live in a place that has that naming scheme on a "smaller scale" to say, so that might be why I don't notice...and am not bothered by it at all despite noticing now.

(Another note: he's using a lance, when in the games I'm accustomed to, wyvern riders use axes. Interesting.)

Lol. Ahem. Excuse me, I can't help but find this funny as someone who played the older games first, since it was the opposite for me when playing newer games.

Sure, they only have a 39 percent chance to land those hits, but it's still not comfortable.

Ah, speaking of hit rates, important thing to know for FE players, and something I didn't know until way later: After Thracia 776, with the exception of Fates, Shadows of Valentia, and Engage, FE used something called "true hit" for calculating hits. Aka it rolls two numbers, averages them, and then decides if you hit or not. That means that 75% will "feel" like 75% instead of all those times when you look at an 75%, think it's a good enough risk, and then end up missing the next five times (aka anyone who has dealt with pokemon move hit rates). It also means, in turn, that lower hit rates like 25% will "feel" like 25% and miss more often than not.

Okay as for general thoughts...

Funny story, I didn't even know Eirika was supposed to be "weak"/"is considered one of the weaker Lords" when I was playing. All I knew was an important lesson I learned from why I got stuck in FE7: level up the Lord as high as you can, or else you WILL have trouble. And by pure coincidence, my Eirika ended up being a powerful one, as I used her well into the late game as one of main attackers. Granted, this is one of the easiest Fire Emblem games (it being the first one I beat as a kid probably a case in point, but again, it wasn't really my first FE so there's that to consider), so that might not mean much, but still. I did not find Eirika as bad as other people who used her. Unlike another Lord who is considered one of the worst...who I shall not name in case you play the other older games, but I'm (mostly) sure anyone who's played the old games knows who I'm talking about. Either way, here's hoping yours has good level ups!

Meanwhile, my experience with Seth is pretty much the same as most everyone: he's good. I won't say why he's good, 'cause again, I'm being cautious of what counts as spoilers, but he is. Yes, it's best to use him as little as possible early game, but you can very much still keep using him once you're in the part of the game where he can level up properly. So if you get a bad Seth then...you are very, very unlucky.

...yeah that's about it. Again, I'd say more, but I don't know if it would count asa spoiler and so I will err on the side of caution.

As for the pictures...yeah they're freakin' tiny. Idk how to help on that front though, so I can't offer more advice on that.

Aand...that's it. I hope you can continue this! I'm curious to see what you think of the rest of the game.

Edit: Oh yeah. Question: how are unit deaths gonna be handled in this playthrough? Are you gonna reset a chapter no matter how long you're in it? Or are you gonna keep on truckin'? Because I pretty much always reset (or only rewind depending on the game) whenever a character dies ever since the one time I decided this one character's death was an painful and unfortunate but "acceptable" loss...and instantly regretted it upon the epilogue/endings of characters and one of them grieved that character's death. So uh. Ahaha. If you choose to do the latter, even if it's second hand, oh boy, if any of my favs die during your playthrough...im gonna be so hurt i just know it.

Last edited:
I believe many emulator nowadays allow you to play with different render resolution, vs the actual hardware settings. In the case of GBA this would mean you might be able to get 1080p or higher vs 240x160 pixels. Presently those images are quite tiny, especially on mobile.
Thanks for the tip! I'll try that out!

Oh, hey, a Sacred Stones playthrough...
A Sacred Stones playthrough?!
And someone playing it for the first time?!
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH—ahem. Wow. Haha.
I'm just glad that someone is actually interested in this. I worried that I wouldn't get much interaction. Hearing from other people is the reason I'm posting this on a forum.
Well, there is one, no, actually two in Binding Blade. And at least one in Blazing Sword. And [REMOVED BY ANANKOS]. And in the Tellius games. And technically several in Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776 by virtue of their plots, but there are no confirmed ages from there except for [REMOVED BY ANANKOS], also by virtue of plot and the calendar dates/years being listed. So...honestly about the same rate as playable older men? Aka one or two women at around mid-20s or above per game, though they're a more in the last few new games. Unless you mean like "actually looks like an older/old person" like Vander in Engage, then uh, yeah, I think there are less playable old women than playable old men.
Yeah, by being stingy I mean that we only get 1-2 per game, and the rest of the female characters are a horde of dewy-eyed cutesy youngsters. It's not just a Fire Emblem thing, it's a Japan thing. They value youth so much...I suppose part of the reason I'm complaining about it here is because I am specifically irritated about losing out on Judith in both Three Houses and Three Hopes.
Huh. Never really noticed that it should be odd. But then again, I live in a place that has that naming scheme on a "smaller scale" to say, so that might be why I don't notice...and am not bothered by it at all despite noticing now.
Can you give me an example of this naming scheme in real life? Because in my cultures it's absolutely normal to have different names: the capital of Canada is Ottawa and the capital of Washington State is Olympia and the capital of Czechia is Prague/Praha. So it sounds weird to me that the king of Renais lives in 'Renais Castle'.
Lol. Ahem. Excuse me, I can't help but find this funny as someone who played the older games first, since it was the opposite for me when playing newer games.
You know, thinking about it more, it does make sense for wyvern riders to use lances. Historically speaking, mounted fighters have liked polearms because being on a mount distances you from the foot soldiers and a longer weapon helps you reach them. A flying mount would take up even more room because of its wings! A wyvern rider using a close-range weapon would risk crashing their mount every time they tried to take a swing at someone!

Perhaps axes were given to the wyvern riders to distinguish them from pegasus knights?
Oh yeah. Question: how are unit deaths gonna be handled in this playthrough? Are you gonna reset a chapter no matter how long you're in it? Or are you gonna keep on truckin'? Because I pretty much always reset (or only rewind depending on the game) whenever a character dies ever since the one time I decided this one character's death was an painful and unfortunate but "acceptable" loss...and instantly regretted it upon the epilogue/endings of characters and one of them grieved that character's death. So uh. Ahaha. If you choose to do the latter, even if it's second hand, oh boy, if any of my favs die during your playthrough...im gonna be so hurt i just know it.
I will be handling unit deaths on a case-by-case basis. Most of the time I'll reload to prevent it, but if I don't have a recent save and the map is long and I wasn't too fond of that unit anyway...Sorry for any pain I might cause you, but as a writer I think pain makes for a good story :drevil:

Last edited:
This continent looks like an east-west flipped North America.

I therefore choose to believe that Jehanna, Renais and Grado are flagrantly Cascadian, Midwest and Texan in nature, respectively.

I will say that the misogyny in Sacred Stones isn't... terrible? It's largely kinda typical work you expect from somebody doing a period fantasy, and as I recall a lot of Restoration Queen's edits are more minor tweaks along the lines of Valters' line that just make things natural and flow better while giving the characters a bit more agency than anything too egregious. FE is overall pretty decent about misogyny in my experience, at most it's more a Background Radiation sort of problem rather than something that is staring you in the face a lot of the time. The lack of any option for gay supports until Three Houses is its own thing, of course.

Will be very interested in seeing where this goes!

I'm just glad that someone is actually interested in this. I worried that I wouldn't get much interaction. Hearing from other people is the reason I'm posting this on a forum.

Ah, yeah... It's Sacred Stones after all. It's not exactly as popular as Awakening and onwards. But that's exactly why I'm all the more glad you decided to try posting it anyway!

Yeah, by being stingy I mean that we only get 1-2 per game, and the rest of the female characters are a horde of dewy-eyed cutesy youngsters. It's not just a Fire Emblem thing, it's a Japan thing. They value youth so much...I suppose part of the reason I'm complaining about it here is because I am specifically irritated about losing out on Judith in both Three Houses and Three Hopes.

Ah, okay. Now I get it.
...oh right Judith.
While I'm nowhere near as irritated as you (i mean i didnt even realize the stingy-ness until you pointed it out), but I agree on it being a shame they didn't make Judith playable. Not even as like a special bonus unlock or something like with Arval or Gatekeeper.

Can you give me an example of this naming scheme in real life? Because in my cultures it's absolutely normal to have different names: the capital of Canada is Ottawa and the capital of Washington State is Olympia and the capital of Czechia is Prague/Praha. So it sounds weird to me that the king of Renais lives in 'Renais Castle'.

Well, like I said, in my country it's "small scale" as while the Philippines' capital is Manilla, but we have several "regions" (provinces) in the country and they also have capital cities. Like Cebu province has the capital of...Cebu City. And Davao province has the capital of...Davao City, and then Batangas with Batangas City, and Iloilo with Iloilo City. But admittedly those are the "exepctions" rather than the norm. Double checking a list of provinces, most of the provinces have the usual "capital name is different from region's name". But still, it's a thing, and I remember those places more than others, so yeah, that's (probably) why "city same name as country" never bothered me.

You know, thinking about it more, it does make sense for wyvern riders to use lances. Historically speaking, mounted fighters have liked polearms because being on a mount distances you from the foot soldiers and a longer weapon helps you reach them. A flying mount would take up even more room because of its wings! A wyvern rider using a close-range weapon would risk crashing their mount every time they tried to take a swing at someone!

Perhaps axes were given to the wyvern riders to distinguish them from pegasus knights?

Well, since the difference between the two before Path of Radiance, the game which first featured axe wielding wyvern riders, is that pegasus knights are speedy and high in skill and resistance but low in strength and defense while wyverns were strong and bulky, but not incredibly fast...most likely (though of course this is not accounting the time when wyvern riders were the promotion class of pegasus knights). Plus more weapon types for flyers in general too, like there being various infantry options.

I will be handling unit deaths on a case-by-case basis. Most of the time I'll reload to prevent it, but if I don't have a recent save and the map is long and I wasn't too fond of that unit anyway...Sorry for any pain I might cause you, but as a writer I think pain makes for a good story >:)

Ah okay.
Then here's me hoping that the worst will happen is bench the characters I like, and that for any chracters I like that you do use...they're good enough to survive, and/or likeable enough that you're willing to reset.
...honestly the main thing I'm worried about is you killing the recruits that are enemies at first...

I will say that the misogyny in Sacred Stones isn't... terrible? It's largely kinda typical work you expect from somebody doing a period fantasy, and as I recall a lot of Restoration Queen's edits are more minor tweaks along the lines of Valters' line that just make things natural and flow better while giving the characters a bit more agency than anything too egregious. FE is overall pretty decent about misogyny in my experience, at most it's more a Background Radiation sort of problem rather than something that is staring you in the face a lot of the time.

Well, I'm a little more hopeful about how they handle that one Eirika scene then, but I still can't help but worry, 'cause I'm a worrier.

The lack of any option for gay supports until Three Houses is its own thing, of course.

Or rather, "good" options for gay supports, since in Fates there is a gay option, one for girls and one for guys. And while I am neutral for the former and uh, actually am fond of the latter (actually like having my female Corrin marrying him), they're uh...not exactly the kinds of characters that give good first impressions, if at all. And that's not even mentioning the unfortunate mess that is Fates' story (which is unfortunate for me 'cause gameplay wise I love Fates, or rather Fates Conquest).

Last edited:
Eirika as a unit is empowered heavily by true hit and enemies being kinda terrible stat wise in sacred stones. So her ridiculous speed and luck can be used to let her ignore her paper thin defences by dodging and just shred enemies with her endless doubling.

A great way to make use of Eirika's speed I've found was to give her Seth's steel sword when she hits D rank swords. She needs the oomph and swords in sacred stones don't have much weight to them, the swords you'd want Eirika to use anyway. Though I was playing on normal and as we've seen difficult makes enemies have noticeably higher stats which probably makes Eirika's bases hurt worse.

Last edited:
A great way to make use of Eirika's speed I've found was to give her Seth's steel sword when she hits D rank swords. She needs the oomph and swords in sacred stones don't have much weight to them, the swords you'd want Eirika to use anyway. Though I was playing on normal and as we've seen difficult makes enemies have noticeably higher stats which probably makes Eirika's bases hurt worse.
I mean with Eirika you're mostly looking for crits anyway so the base stats hurting more isnt negligible, it'll backfire on you in corner cases, but it isn't a huge deal mo. I would also advise getting everything off Seth and using him as a meatshield basically whenever you get the chance. He's really good early on, but he never gets much better, so in the long run using him is just sapping EXP from the units that don't peak before the game even starts.

Or rather, "good" options for gay supports, since in Fates there is a gay option, one for girls and one for guys. And while I am neutral for the former and uh, actually am fond of the latter (actually like having my female Corrin marrying him), they're uh...not exactly the kinds of characters that give good first impressions, if at all. And that's not even mentioning the unfortunate mess that is Fates' story (which is unfortunate for me 'cause gameplay wise I love Fates, or rather Fates Conquest).

Please understand I try to forget Fates exists at all times

I mean with Eirika you're mostly looking for crits anyway so the base stats hurting more isnt negligible, it'll backfire on you in corner cases, but it isn't a huge deal mo. I would also advise getting everything off Seth and using him as a meatshield basically whenever you get the chance. He's really good early on, but he never gets much better, so in the long run using him is just sapping EXP from the units that don't peak before the game even starts.
The Eirika who can one round without rng is a beautiful dream I yearn for deep within my heart, so I must pursue it even if it is impossible.

Seth does make a great meatshield yeah, I'm wary about completely unequipping him because even on normal I ran into scenarios where the best option was Seth and his silver Lance saving the day. I'd assume Difficult would make you need to lean on him more. He doesn't make the worst use of exp either tbh.

Chapter 1: Escape!
Yes, the exclamation point is a part of the title.

In Mulan, a fortress at the Frelian border, this woman seems to be in command. Her men inform her that Grado's troops are approaching, but she refuses to flee to safety until she's found Eirika, whom she calls a friend. I guess Franz made it to Frelia with his news, then! Unfortunately, the Gradoan advance is as unstoppable as ever and they take Mulan, represented in a cutscene by this dude Breguet killing the gate guard with a critical hit.

He confronts the garrison commander, who orders him to leave Frelian territory. She announces that she is Princess Tana, the daughter of King Hayden, and if he harms one hair on her head he will face terrible consequences. I have to admire her confidence. Unfortunately for Tana, Breguet correctly points out that he holds all the cards here and takes her hostage.

Now Seth and Eirika arrive and realize that the Gradoan army has beaten them to Frelia. Seth wants to just sneak around the castle and continue to the capital (which is named Castle Frelia, sigh), but Eirika objects. Her distaste for war is manifesting in an interesting way here: she knows the soldiers are going to despoil the countryside and abuse the locals, and she can't abide that. She couldn't save the people of Renais, but she is in a position to save the people of Mulan, by killing the occupying forces. It's worth noting that she doesn't even know about Tana being here – she is just doing this for the sake of the Frelians.

Seth agrees, and the two of them set out to recapture a castle. Just the two of them. Gotta love that confidence. Then again, with Seth's stats, and his HP back at full, it's probably warranted. I think I could do this whole map with him solo if I wanted.

As you can see, this map is a little more complex than the last one. There are two houses on the east side, and if you move a character there, you can talk to the locals. Their dialogue mostly amounts to gameplay tips (one introduces terrain effects by noting that the gate Breguet is standing on gives him bonuses, while the other introduces the concept of effective weapons by noting that armored units like Breguet have high defense but some weapons do extra damage to them). I like that talking to the locals dovetails neatly with Eirika's focus on saving them in this chapter.

Eirika can't quite reach the nearest axe fighter, so I move her into his range (while being sure to stay out of range of the lance-wielding soldier up north), use Seth to talk to the NPCs, and end my first turn.

At this point, Breguet somehow recognizes Eirika from across the map. Quite chuffed at the thought of capturing two princesses in one day, he orders his men to go get her. At that moment, two blue units arrive from the north – it's the return of Franz, and he's brought reinforcements! He's riding with a Frelian knight named Gilliam, of the Eastern Watch (Gilliam actually says 'we men of the Eastern Watch' so I guess this is one of those abstracted army moments where, in-story, Franz brought way more than just this one guy).

It seems that Gilliam was originally bringing reinforcements for Tana, but when his path crossed with Franz's, the two of them agreed to combine their respective missions into a double-princess-rescue. They are dismayed to see Mulan captured, and amend their plan a little: recapture Mulan, ensure Princess Tana's safety, then search for Princess Eirika. Gilliam, like the boss of this chapter, is a knight – an armored class with high defense and less mobility than other infantry. As in, he can only move four squares on the map when everyone else can move at least five.

The map progresses. I try to feed Eirika some kills (which would give her more exp than just fighting an enemy), but the axe-wielders have too much HP for her to kill on her turn, and on the enemy phase they ignore her to go after Franz and Gilliam instead. I guess the AI in this game prioritizes weapon triangle advantage over attacking the lord. Poor Franz gets pretty beaten up, and then to make matters worse, Gradoan reinforcements arrive from the rear.

I doggedly continue throwing Eirika into combat and I am rewarded with my first level-up of the game. This is a good time to explain how stat increases work in Fire Emblem. Each time a character levels up, each stat has a percentage chance to increase in value, called its growth rate. Each character has a unique set of growth rates – it's one of the ways in which FE distinguishes each character's use in gameplay.

It's worth noting that while growth rates dictate tendencies, unlikely events can still happen. It is possible for a character to be very lucky and end up with extremely high stats, or conversely, cursed to be ineffective. This makes every character in every playthough unique, and seems to help players grow attached to their characters, although some FE fans dislike the unpredictability of it.

I looked up Eirika's growths on the wiki – an admittedly dangerous zone for someone trying to avoid spoilers – and found that her highest growths – the stats she'll end up with lots of – are in skill and speed. So she will be very accurate, and get to attack twice.

Her strength growth, however, is only 40%.

Praise the gods, for they have blessed us today. Eirika has five strength! That's just one more damage per hit – but it means she can kill an axeman on her own now! YES!!!

It's amazing how good it feels, sending my lady into combat without having to carefully guard her like a small dog in a coyote den. Eirika isn't in danger from you, Gradoan soldier! She IS the danger!

While Eirika mops up the last few enemies, the others don't have much to do. Another new mechanic this map introduces is battlefield conversations – certain units, when standing next to each other, have an option to talk about the latest events. In this case, Franz has conversations with Seth and Eirika. They mostly amount to, "It's great to have you back, Franz", but in his conversation with Eirika he mentions that he teamed up with Princess Tana's reinforcements. This is how Eirika learns that her friend Tana is here within the castle.

With nothing else to do, I face the boss – with Eirika, since one of the NPCs pointed out that her Rapier is effective against armored units. Indeed, she does enough damage to kill him…or she would have, if she didn't miss one of her attacks. Yeah, armored knights aren't known for their dodging ability, but that gate he's standing on grants him a huge avoidance bonus, and (since he's using a lance) the weapon triangle is in his favor. What's worse, his counterattack reduces her to 3 HP! Eirika's turn is done, she's in his range and he'll probably kill her on his turn. At this point I would usually have my other units bring him down before his turn – but he's surrounded by walls on three sides, meaning only one unit can attack him at once! Aaargh!

And then Seth comes to the Rescue. Rescue is a mechanic in this game that lets one unit carry another. While being carried, a unit can't take turns, but they can't be targeted by enemies either. It's useful for two main purposes: shielding a character that's in danger, or ferrying low-movement units with higher-movement ones.

At this point, I could have Eirika use a healing item and try to secure the kill on Breguet, but it would take a few turns to set that up safely and he's regenerating health every turn (another effect of that busted gate terrain). So I just use Seth. Bring out the Silver Lance!

The occupying force defeated, Tana takes command of Mulan again. She thanks Gilliam and warmly greets Eirika. She how Ephraim is and Eirika replies "I wish I knew."

The two women decide to go to Castle Frelia, which is a good idea considering how very capturable Mulan seems to be. Their journey is represented by these cute little sprites moving on the world map (a screenshot which I cannot show you, because I'm not a subscriber and I need to be really choosy about which screenshots I include when I'm limited to 20 per post).

King Hayden of Frelia is worried sick about his daughter. He tells her that, as long as the war lasts, she shouldn't leave the safety of the capital without his permission. Tana seems to brush this off and reveals Eirika like a surprise birthday present. Everyone is generally happy to see each other and the impression I get is…well, that they're all friends?

Perhaps that sounds weird. Perhaps it's weird that I think this is interesting. But it really does come off like Eirika is visiting her friend's dad, and not making a state visit. (Later in this chapter, Tana will mention that Eirika and Ephraim are friends with Prince Lyon of Grado, too). I'm getting the impression that everyone on this continent liked each other. This really was a time of peace, a happy era – and that only makes the current crisis all the more shocking for them.

…the cheerful music fades out, and Hayden tells Eirika that her father is dead. He is vague about the manner of death – perhaps he does not know; perhaps he wants to spare her the details. Eirika reacts with shock, but Seth is silent – I think he's not surprised.

King Hayden has news of Prince Ephraim, too. He is still alive, still fighting, and he has advanced into Grado, to a place called Renvall. Hearing this, Eirika seems to have a realization: if her brother is still fighting, then she must fight too. She tells Hayden that she intends to ride straight to Ephraim's side with reinforcements. He is not enthused to hear this.

He tries to convince her to stay. He points out that he doesn't have any men to give her – Frelia's army is marching to meet Grado's invasion force right now, and he "cannot spare a single brigade". She would simply be travelling with what few Renaisian knights she already has. Knowing this, does she still want to go?

I love Eirika's dialogue. She's super-polite, but she's far from yielding.

Seeing that she can't be dissuaded, Hayden muses that she's inherited Fado's bravery and stubbornness – just like her brother. He can't give her an army, but he can give her three people: Gilliam, whom we met already, a mage-looking guy named Moulder (what an unfortunate name), and a lady with green hair named Vanessa. He also hands over a stack of cash and a supply convoy (what this means is that I can now store items in a general inventory that's separate from all the individual characters' inventories). Hayden really is being as helpful as he can here.

That night, Tana approaches Eirika. "You don't really intend to go through with this, do you?" she asks.

"I have no choice," Eirika replies. "I have to go." Her logic is simple: losing her father and her homeland sucked, losing her brother too is not acceptable to her, and so she's doing everything she can to save him. You know, something I wasn't expecting from Eirika is how…resolute she is. How decisive. It interacts interestingly with her kindness and love of peace. She knows war hurts people, so she decides to kick Grado out of Mulan. She knows her brother is in danger, so she rides to his defense. For someone who doesn't like violence, she's surprisingly willing to wade into the fray nevertheless. That's probably not good for Seth's heart rate. Grado's soldiers are no threat to him, but perhaps he'll die of a stress-induced heart attack.

Now it is Tana's turn to deliver an "Alas, war is woe" speech (I don't mean to sound dismissive! I like them!). Aside from re-emphasizing that none of these countries were prepared for war because they've only known peace for so long, she reveals that another reason Grado's attack makes no sense is that Eirika and her family are personal friends with the imperial family of Grado. Presumably, they were chummy to the same extent that Tana and Hayden are with Eirika. It's a scary thought – imagine one of your own friends suddenly flipping out and trying to kill you. That's the kind of fear and confusion these characters are going through right now.

We leave off with that uncanny mystery, and the game prompts me to save. That's the end of Chapter One!

Last edited:
Gods damn it, I thought I'd fixed the screenshots! It's definitely not a resolution problem this time. I'll fiddle with the BB code.
Edit: Turns out I was using the wrong setting on Postimage. But the images are big now! Is this better?

Last edited:
Gods damn it, I thought I'd fixed the screenshots! It's definitely not a resolution problem this time. I'll fiddle with the BB code.
Edit: Turns out I was using the wrong setting on Postimage. But the images are big now! Is this better?
They're much bigger now, yeah.

Wonder if the villainous country has been ensorcelled? Sure sounds like the attacks aren't expected of them.

This continent looks like an east-west flipped North America.

I therefore choose to believe that Jehanna, Renais and Grado are flagrantly Cascadian, Midwest and Texan in nature, respectively.
Ah, but Jehanna is a desert. The forested area north of it is the country of Rausten. What this means is that Rausten is Cascadia, while Jehanna is California.
And that's not even mentioning the unfortunate mess that is Fates' story (which is unfortunate for me 'cause gameplay wise I love Fates, or rather Fates Conquest).
Fates made some bold and interesting decisions in an attempt to shake up the series's usual gameplay, and I think it deserves to be played and appreciated by people who can look past its boneheaded story and cringeworthy characters. I am not one of those people.

Much better. The first post was kind of difficult to read the text in the images but there's no problem now.

Oh. Wow. The next part so soon?
Huh. Then maybe I'll get to see you meet some of my favorite characters a lot sooner than I thought.
But first...

He's really good early on, but he never gets much better, so in the long run using him is just sapping EXP from the units that don't peak before the game even starts.

While I agree on him sapping EXP, especially if you wanna use characters besides him, I'm surprised to see you say "never gets much better", because that's the first time I've ever seen someone describe Seth that way. But then again, I'm not exactly keeping an eye on most of the fandom, but still, I more see people say Seth is good. Really good.
I won't say any more than that over worrying if it counts as a spoiler or not. X/

...yeah, I'm not surprised you do, since you mentioned Three Houses instead. It's fine. I love it, but I know Fates is a mess besides gameplay, and even then it's specifically Conquest I love.

Fates made some bold and interesting decisions in an attempt to shake up the series's usual gameplay, and I think it deserves to be played and appreciated by people who can look past its boneheaded story and cringeworthy characters. I am not one of those people.

Ah, shame... But again, I get it. It really is a mess. A mess where I found some of my favorite things in Fire Emblem in it, my personal small diamonds in the rough, but still, a mess.

Okay. The chapter itself!

I think story wise the things the stuck out to me the most about your thoughts are one: the whole fact that Grado is attacking. Because I was a kid, (and even when I revisited it to beat it two more times, one for Eirika and one for Ephraim) I didn't think too much about the...well, how "invasions happen because lots of things built up to it", so my thought was immediately "oh no. Evil nation has been brainwashed or something!" And two: your...reaction to Eirika. In that, well...idk how to put it...noticing it? I guess? 'Cause it never "stood out" to me not in a "this is boring" way, but in a "yeah I understand her" way. So I didn't really notice how "odd" it is that she doesn't like violence...but she's willing to do it if it means protecting others and more. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you noticing it and finding it unexpected makes me appreciate her all the more, beyond the nostalgia and gameplay.

Speaking of gameplay...Franz and Gilliam!

...unfortunately for Gilliam, I rarely use knights. Not because I think they're bad, I love their tankiness and general look, but most of the time I want to use everyone else for one reason or another, older games usually don't let you level everyone up, and armor knights tend to get the short end of the stick in terms of having a personality I like enough to ignore the cons of low movement class, so these characters tend to end up not being used much by me despite liking, for example, how tanky some wyvern riders can get. Thus Gilliam is one of the many I don't really use. But he's not bad when I do use him. But, funnily enough, one of the exceptions to my usage of armor knights is in this game, but I'll save that for later.

Franz, meanwhile...I also don't really use much. Oh he's good, at least I've had luck with him, but Seth is just as good, and there are also others I could use the promotion items on, so I haven't used Franz too much. More than Gilliam, but still, not much.

As for the pictures...yup! It's much nicer now.

Chapter 2: The Protected
I'm currently on vacation, so updates are coming out at a brisk pace. Things will slow down soon enough.

This chapter starts out on the world map, where a little sprite of Eirika can walk between locations she's already visited in the story. I can also access the inventories of my units, so I take the opportunity to make sure everyone has a healing item (Vulneraries restore 10 HP when used) and transfer Seth's Steel sword to Eirika as 1337Procrast suggested. Then I transfer Franz's Iron Sword to Seth, because I need something for Seth to use besides his pretty lance.

There's not much else to do, so I continue to the next location on the map. This is the town of Ide, a small Renaisian village. A cutscene starts: Eirika is discussing their route with Moulder and Vanessa, the new characters. The plan is to head south through Renais to Grado, keeping to remote areas to hopefully avoid hostile soldiers. Vanessa wants to scout ahead on her pegasus (she's a pegasus knight, a fragile and speedy class that rides a flying horse).

Archers are effective against all flying units, so this here is actually a warning for the player, too. As an experienced FE player, I don't really need it, but I appreciate the way the game is working its tutorials into the story.

Vanessa comes off as…well, Eirika calls her "sincere". I would call her "uptight". She's reminding me of Ingrid. This isn't entirely a good thing, as I dislike Ingrid. As for Moulder, I don't have a read on him yet. Like Gilliam, he lacks any obvious quirks to draw interest. This isn't entirely a bad thing, as when you rely too much on wacky quirks to distinguish your cast…you get Fire Emblem Fates.

We finally get to see the map we'll be playing today, as a bunch of bandits arrive to a valley full of inhabited villages. They cheerfully brag about all the people they're going to rob and murder today (actual quote: "Ha ha ha! I love a good war!") before destroying one of the villages – which is Ide itself.

Two inhabitants manage to escape: A burly man named Garcia and his son, Ross. However, Ross has been injured by one of the bandits. Panicking, Garcia calls for help. Vanessa, scouting, hears this, and returns to the princess to explain the situation. They can stop to help the villagers, or save their strength and hurry on to Grado and Prince Ephraim.

I'm sure you won't be shocked at how Eirika responds. What follows is a clever hidden tutorial (hidden, in that it involves the player being convinced to do things by events in the game, as opposed to arrows and text boxes saying 'do the thing!') that teaches the new player about rescuing, healing, unit recruitment, and the utility/weakness of flying units.

Ross is at 5 out of 15 HP, and Moulder can heal him. But Moulder needs to be standing next to someone to heal them, and Moulder can't walk to Ross because there are mountains in the way. But Vanessa is a pegasus knight, and flying units aren't blocked by terrain, so of course I fly her over to Ross, Rescue him (you can rescue green units) and fly back over the mountains. The next turn I Drop Ross, Moulder heals him (doing exactly enough healing to bring him back to full health) and Eirika talks to him.

Ross asks, or rather demands, that she rescue his father and stop the bandits. He also stridently refuses to leave the battlefield, claiming that he has to get back to his father. That's the clue to the player's next step: get Ross to talk to Garcia. Ross turns from green (allied) to blue (player character) when Eirika talks to him, letting you control him as one of your own units.

Another new mechanic introduced in this chapter is the villages. Like houses before, any one of your units can visit them to talk to the NPCs there. But these villages also give valuable items when you visit them. Also, they close their gates and become immune to destruction by the bandits. I guess these bandits are like vampires – they can't enter your territory without your permission. This NPC dialogue is mostly inconsequential, not changing based on the character, but the very first village I visit with Eirika holds a delightful surprise.

This pretty blond lady is trying to organize the village's defense, and she immediately takes note of Eirika's weapon. Eirika claims to be Erina, an ordinary mercenary, and this woman introduces herself as General Selena of Grado.

Yikes! Eirika's disguise skill must be improving, as while all the previous Gradoans she met were able to peg her as the princess immediately, Selena just notes that she's probably lying about something but she hasn't got the time to investigate. She's been summoned back to Grado and she doesn't want to leave these poor villagers defenseless, so can she contract Erina and her mercenary friends to defend them? Stunned, Eirika accepts, wisely deciding not to mention that she was going to do that anyway, and Selena hands her a red jewel as payment (it's an item that can be sold for 2,500 gold). Before she goes, Eirika asks why she cares, since she's with the people that caused all this chaos.

"These aren't soldiers. They're people," answers Selena. "Should they suffer because their leaders fight?"

I think Eirika and Selena would really get along. If they weren't, you know. On opposite sides of a war right now.

Meanwhile, my cavaliers advance south to protect the last village from bandits, and when I station Franz in what I thought was a fort for extra defense I discover that it's actually an armory, a building that lets you access a weapon shop!

I buy a replacement Iron Sword for Franz and an Iron Lance for Seth to use on enemies that aren't worthy of facing him at maximum power. As for Garcia, all I need to do is fly back across the mountains with Vanessa, drop off Ross, and end my turn. The next turn, Ross can—

Huh. Was there always an archer there?

So…fun fact! The developers placed an archer to cover the area Garcia hangs out in. He's the only enemy in this map who's not an axe fighter. Another fun fact! On Difficult, this archer does exactly enough damage (17) to kill Vanessa in one hit!

Please scroll back up to the screenshot where Eirika says, "Watch for archers," and laugh at me a bit. This was completely avoidable, and I restart the chapter. Things go mostly the same as I replay, but this time I decide to use Gilliam to visit the villages, since his weapon triangle disadvantage makes him struggle to hit anyone and Eirika would serve better in combat. Thus, I get to see a different version of the scene with Selena.

It covers all the same points in an abridged manner, but it lacks Eirika pretending to be Erina the Ordinary Mercenary, which will always be canon for me. I send Eirika to lure some bandits out of defensive terrain and she levels up again! No strength this time, but she got just about everything else. While I've been luring these guys the boss bandit has gotten in range of the final village and I need to kill him quick, so I send Seth to wash his new iron sword in blood.

Ordinarily, I would show you the boss's last words, but this guy just says, "Urgh...Blast..." He has no personality even by the standards of one-chapter bosses. Ah well, Garcia and Ross are carrying this chapter, anyway.

Playing more cautiously this time, I send Vanessa to a spot in the woods where the archer can't reach her. Ross has a rather longer trek to his father (and he gets attacked along the way), but he does make it. Garcia angrily asks his son what he's still doing on the battlefield and his son tells him he wants to fight by his side. And with that, I've recruited Garcia and Ross!

From what I've seen so far…I'm not enthusiastic, unfortunately. Garcia is tanky and has excellent strength, but he has serious accuracy problems. He struggled to hit anything this chapter. Meanwhile, Ross has lower stats than Eirika. His weak starting weapon (weaker than an Iron Axe! I thought those were the weakest axes in the game!) can be fixed easily enough. His class raises an eyebrow: Journeyman. I suppose he is the game's Donnel? Well, I think the proper name for the archetype is 'Est' or 'Amelia' or something, but my first FE was Awakening, so I will always associate this archetype with him: the plucky youngster, eager to prove himself, that starts horribly weak but will (ostensibly) become strong with enough careful training. However, as someone who went through a lot of pain to train Donnel and only ever got mediocre results, I don't want to go through the same thing again.

After I kill every enemy, the map's done. As the characters catch their breath, Seth calls their attention to something: he knows that man there. It's the Great Garcia!

Wow. When Ross called his dad "the great Garcia," I thought that was just him being excitable. I mean, the kid can't end a sentence but with an exclamation point. But no! That's actually what he's called! Seth explains that Garcia used to be an officer in the Renaisian army, and entreats him to join their cause. Garcia, in turn, explains that he retired from fighting because…well, read it yourselves. I think this writing is especially beautiful.

"I spent my life fighting for faceless, uncaring nobles. When my wife fell ill and died, I met the child she had left behind...At that moment, I finally realized what my duty had cost me. I'm done with armies. I'm done with fighting, except to protect my son."

Eirika seems ready to accept this, but Ross objects. He goes on a rant that's honestly a little hard to follow – this kid is all over the place – but here's my attempt at distilling its points: Firstly, Garcia is a true warrior at heart, and can't give up fighting. Secondly, Ross is all grown up now and a great fighter, and doesn't need his dad to protect him (given their respective stats, I do not believe this). Thirdly, Ross is so down to fight that he's leaving with Eirika's party and his dad can't stop him. Fourthly, Ross is so down to fight that he'll fight his dad, right here, right now, or anyone really, to prove himself.

I want you to imagine an excitable teenager yelling all this at the top of his lungs.

Faced with this Gish Gallop, Garcia decides to join Eirika as well, ostensibly because he can fight without fear now that his son is all grown up, but actually – I suspect – because the thought of his son joining a war inspires quite a lot of fear and he still wants to protect him.

That evening, the villagers they saved invite them to enjoy their hospitality, but Eirika refuses, wishing to hurry on to her brother's aid. Still, she stays to chat a little with the village elder, and he…brings up her bracelet again? The one that her father made her take with her when she left the palace.

The elder also warns her to beware of thieves, and the conversation turns to the country's growing lawlessness. The script avoids going into detail for the sake of good taste and the age rating, but it's clearly implied that any sort of horrible atrocity you can imagine is taking place. The remaining people are in despair.

He mentions Ephraim, too – some people hold out hope that the Prince will bring victory against the Empire, but rumors state that he's greatly outnumbered in Grado, and the elder is convinced that his defeat is only a matter of time. Sweet gods, the opening chapters of this story are surprisingly dark. I'm used to Fire Emblem starting with trivial bandit hunting and minor mysteries for a bit before everything goes to shit.

The elder's words stir melancholy in Eirika, and she goes off on her own, thinking of her brother. And we get a full-on flashback now, to Eirika learning swordsmanship from her brother three years ago. I believe this is the first time we see Ephraim in person, rather than simply hearing other characters speak of him (or see his portrait zoom by in the opening). Ephraim asks why Eirika asked him to teach her how to fight. "I thought you didn't care for violence," he says.

…I'd like to take this moment to express more of my personal feelings on Eirika, because this scene crystallized some of them for me. You see, I'm a lot like her. I dislike conflicts and I believe violence is always sad, a waste. If violence breaks out, it's a sign people have failed to use better ways to solve their problems. Understand, I don't harshly judge people who resort to violence to defend themselves or something like that. In that case, it's the attackers who should have made better choices. It's still very sad.

And I'm also fearful. Of disagreements in general, but I'm terrified of violence. In Fire Emblem terms, I'm a sort of green villager NPC with 0 Strength who needs to be protected. And I know this makes me go along with things that aren't right, just because I'm scared.

But Eirika is someone who isn't afraid. She recognizes the cost of violence, but she's willing to fight when necessary. She'll fight to save people and protect her family. She's elegant and kind, but also devoted and resolute. I find that incredibly admirable.

Now back to the scene. Eirika explains that she doesn't want to always rely on Ephraim to protect her, because she doesn't want to burden him.

Well, I'm sixteen years older than my brother, so I protect him and he worries about me.

Ephraim also notes – just like Hayden last chapter – that Eirika is incredibly stubborn when she puts her mind to something, so he won't bother trying to dissuade her, and he starts the lesson.

We return to Eirika in the present – obviously thinking about how much she wishes she could protect her brother now. And then a smirky guy bumps into her while she's distracted. His sprite zooms across the screen to represent him running away.

Seth appears, his bodyguard senses activating, and asks what happened. Eirika herself is fine, but her bracelet is missing. They immediately conclude that Smirky Guy lifted it off her. Seth is ready to rush after him, but Eirika tells him it's fine. It's just a bracelet, after all. It's not at all important when human lives are at stake. They should just continue to Grado.

Seth's response is interesting: "This goes beyond mere sentimentality. We must retrieve your bracelet regardless of cost."

There's clearly something more going on here. Could one of the Sacred Stones be set on the bracelet? …No, that would be stupid. The Kingdom of Renais would be stupid to place their greatest treasure on a princess's walking-around jewelry. Unless they thought no one would expect them to do something like that, making it a smart hiding spot…Ugh, I don't know! We'll find out next time on Restoration Queen, when we hunt down that bracelet!

Last edited:
This is a delightfully fun thread to see, I adore Sacred Stones and actually finished a silly challenge run of it a couple of months ago. Also, using the Restoration Queen patch because I was curious about it.

Secondly, that game has a reputation for being far too easy – and, given the sort of devoted minmaxers who populate the FE fandom, I think it should offer a challenge more appropriate for my own skills.

This one's a weird one. I've done a fair number of challenge runs of the game and if you don't take part in grinding and don't [spoilers] I think it winds up being a pretty good challenge on hard mode. Certainly harder than FE7 hard on some maps and more consistently difficult.

Oh and the mod also includes explicitly romantic female/female supports? Sold. I'm doing this.

The mod definitely makes the supports more explicit, but GBA FE was surprisingly gay already. Especially if you lived through the era of everything is subtext. Sacred Stones has a support where one character tries to explain to a female character, "Oh, that weird feeling you have. It's love for [other female character]." As if it was the most normal thing in the world.

Which was really odd to see when I played the game when it came out because of the time.

Of course, there were no explicit paired endings, but a few were very implicit.

FE tends to be stingy with mature female characters – you'll get one or two grizzled male war veterans, but women, apparently, wilt like lettuce after age 20. Grumble grumble.

The other two GBA games are better than this one on that regard, including I think the oldest non-immortal female character the series has given us.

Sacred Stones has quite a few mid twenties to early thirties female characters though.

You know, I think I understand now why people say that Eirika is a weak character.

It's amazing how good it feels, sending my lady into combat without having to carefully guard her like a small dog in a coyote den. Eirika isn't in danger from you, Gradoan soldier! She IS the danger!

The funny thing is, she's a little weak compared to some of the crazy units in her game, but my most recent challenge still had a statistically average Eirika juggernaut 2 maps by the power of having convoy access to pull out whatever weapon was best in the current situation... Also unlimited healing items.

This really was a time of peace, a happy era – and that only makes the current crisis all the more shocking for them.

This is a part of Sacred Stones that I've appreciated much more as an adult. It's a really dark story as soon as you pay attention, especially when it comes to things like this and how the characters react.

Eirika claims to be Erina, an ordinary mercenary, and this woman introduces herself as General Selena of Grado.

I had completely missed this in all of my play throughs. This is so funny especially for other reasons you'll find out eventually.

From what I've seen so far…I'm not enthusiastic, unfortunately. Garcia is tanky and has excellent strength, but he has serious accuracy problems. He struggled to hit anything this chapter. Meanwhile, Ross has lower stats than Eirika. His weak starting weapon (weaker than an Iron Axe! I thought those were the weakest axes in the game!) can be fixed easily enough. His class raises an eyebrow: Journeyman. I suppose he is the game's Donnel? Well, I think the proper name for the archetype is 'Est' or 'Amelia' or something, but my first FE was Awakening, so I will always associate this archetype with him: the plucky youngster, eager to prove himself, that starts horribly weak but will (ostensibly) become strong with enough careful training. However, as someone who went through a lot of pain to train Donnel and only ever got mediocre results, I don't want to go through the same thing again.

Trying to avoid spoilers, but there's something about Ross that I don't think the game ever explains because it was in the instruction manual that shipped with it originally.

Spoiler tagging it in case you want to read.

The big thing about Ross, and others characters you'll get, is that they're in "tier 0 trainee classes" where they can get a few extra levels and have a much broader promotion tree as a result of this. I think of him both as potentially better than Donnel and also not really the game's "Est". He'll promote to a real tier 1 class at the end of a map where he reaches level 10 and has increased xp gain before that.

"I spent my life fighting for faceless, uncaring nobles. When my wife fell ill and died, I met the child she had left behind...At that moment, I finally realized what my duty had cost me. I'm done with armies. I'm done with fighting, except to protect my son."

Garcia's another character I appreciate so much more as an adult than I did before.

His weak starting weapon (weaker than an Iron Axe! I thought those were the weakest axes in the game!)
Don't count out the Hatchet. It's got the highest accuracy of an axe in the game plus 1-2 range, and the weak might isn't that relevant when axe units love their strength stat so much. It's an amazing weapon and makes Ross usable because he doesn't need to actually go toe to toe and let's him actually hit things. You could probably give it to Garcia and never look back though.

I know I've mostly talked about gameplay but I also really like the characters and plot of sacred stone. Eirika my beloved.

Same on the hatchet. One of the best axes in the game all because of it being accurate and 1-2 range. Or at least I've always enjoyed having a high accuracy axe.

Before anything else though...

I'm currently on vacation, so updates are coming out at a brisk pace. Things will slow down soon enough.

Oh. That makes sense. Here's me hoping you'll get to at least the next three chapters before your vacation is over! 'Cause those are the ones I'm most looking forward to for the early game.

As for game itself... Um. Not much I wanna say about the story in general. Without spoilers that is. Instead, I'll focus on the four new characters. Starting off with Vanessa.

Vanessa comes off as…well, Eirika calls her "sincere". I would call her "uptight". She's reminding me of Ingrid. This isn't entirely a good thing, as I dislike Ingrid.

Well good news for you then! She doesn't really have any more story appearances after this. The most screen time she's gonna get are through supports. But because of how supports work in...uh...wait actually, do you know how supports work in the GBA games??? I just realized I don't remember if you ever get a tutorial, or are even told all the details about it. Cause one of the earliest supports you can get is Eirika and Seth C, especially if you're like me who grinds supports as much as possible while also being strategic (aka I typically have characters be paired up with each other when fighting), and you can get it on chapter 1/the second map, and there is absolutely no tutorial when that option pops up.
So.
Uh.
Yeah, I'll uh...explain it whenever you get your first support convo, cause supports in the GBA games are...let's just say they're restrictive. And one of the few things I don't like from the GBA games by virtue of me being a sucker for support coversations.

But anyways, back to Vanessa. In terms of gameplay...she can be good, by virtue of being a very early flyer, and having a good flyer early is always strong/good, but her strength growth, as expected of most pegasus knights, isn't that high, at a measly 35%. So she might not be worth the trouble for some. I didn't really use her on my first run, and kinda used her in others. I think. I mainly remember because of her promotion. So yeah. Won't be surprised if, after a certain chapter, you just drop her. But she's not the worst unit in the world.

Meanwhile Moulder...I haven't used him. At all. I have two reasons for this, both of them spoilers, but one coming a lot sooner than the other, so I can explain myself soon enough. Hopefully. The main thing I know about Moulder though is...his Constitution, or Con. Because of how weight works in this game, and his Con being pretty high for a magic user, he's a good candidate for rescue chains and if you do raise him, he won't be weighed down by tomes, which are, unfortunately, kinda stupidly heavy when most magic users have low Con unless. Uh. Reasons.

I suppose he is the game's Donnel?

Er, as Graveless said, not really? But also kinda. You'll find out what makes him different from other units when you get him to lvl 10, and unlike other Est archetypes, iirc, Ross gets WAY more experience from fighting. So you don't need to have him fight that many enemies.

I, personally, like Ross...gameplay wise. Because of one thing: one of the classes he can turn into. So he's usually my main axe user, and I use him over Garcia, who isn't bad, as far as I can tell, but...again. Classes. And Ross gets more chances for good level ups than his dad. But I know he can get really screw easily. Like your Donnel in your Awakening playthrough (which is a shame, can I just say. Donnel has high growths PLUS Aptitude. How did badly did he get screwed in your run that he ended up underwhelming for you???). Add in the fact that, personality wise, he wasn't that much of stand-out in supports for me, and thus I'm neutral to his character. So I won't be surprised if you bench him/decide not to bother raising him. But if my word has any weight, I'd say he's one of the better units, especially for class reasons, but not one I'd be clamoring "enthiastically attempt" to get you to use him. nah that'll be for later

Last edited:
Deaths Counter
Let's count deaths! Dedicated to Vanessa and all her pegasus knight sisters (and brothers).

Vanessa: 3
Garcia: 2
Lute: 1
Eirika: 4
Colm: 4
Neimi: 4
Seth: 2
Forde: 1
Joshua: 2
Tana: 2
Franz: 1
Natasha: 1
Gerik: 1
Tethys: 2
L'Arachel: 2
Marisa: 3
Ewan: 3
Cormag: 1

Permanent Deaths: none so far.

Last edited:
Chapter 3: The Bandits of Borgo
(Before I begin, my biggest thanks to @4WheelSword for giving me an upgrade. Now I can be more generous with the screenshots!)

We return to Restoration Queen with a thrilling bracelet hunt! But first, a little item re-organization: I give the Hatchet to Garcia, since 1337Procrast pointed out that it's the most accurate axe in the game, in the hopes of fixing his hit rate. I also visit the shop on the world map and buy a Javelin for Gilliam, hoping to make up for his poor movement by giving him some extra range.

So the bandits we're going after are called Bazba's Bandits, because they're led by a man named Bazba. But they live in a place called Borgo Ridge, which is why the chapter is titled The Bandits of Borgo.

Anyway, the group travels into the mountains, trying to follow the trail of the thief who took Eirika's bracelet. They receive intel on the location of a bandit hideout from the local villagers, who I'm sure were all too happy that the bandits had finally pissed off someone who had the capability to do something about it. They're not sure, but it's a fair assumption that their quarry is associated with this gang, since he's also been seen in the area. Eirika is quite horrified that such people could operate with impunity in Renais, and Seth assures her that it wasn't nearly this bad before – the royal knights used to keep a handle on crime. But with armies rampaging across the land and the complete collapse of Renais's government, well, I'll let Seth put it in his own words:

At this point, a pink-haired woman appears, timidly approaching (and by that I mean her portrait is actually inching across the screen little by little). Taking Eirika and Seth for mercenaries, she tearfully asks for their help saving someone called Colm. When Eirika asks her to take a deep breath and start over from the beginning, she gives her story:

Neimi and her best friend, Colm, are the only two survivors of the village Lark, which was burned down by Bazba's Bandits. They escaped with their lives, but none of their possessions, and Colm went to the bandits' hideout to steal some things back. By himself.

Eirika: He went alone? That's a very dangerous thing…
Neimi: Yes, I know. Th-that's what I told him, but he wouldn't listen to me. He never listens to me.

Well, Eirika and Seth were already planning to raid those bandits, so they agree to help. Eirika, of course, adds that she wishes she had gotten here in time to save Neimi's whole village.

Cut to the bandit hideout. This is our first indoor map! New mechanics here include locked doors and treasure chests, which – if I know my Fire Emblem – will take keys from enemies to open, or be unlockable by a thief.

There are also some cracked walls visible in the screenshot above, which can be broken to create a path if you don't feel like fussing about unlocking doors. Mechanically, they act like enemies with 25 HP who can't attack.

What's more, Neimi reveals that she comes from a family of hunters, and she's willing to try some more dangerous game. As an archer, she can attack from two spaces away, and only two spaces away. If an enemy approaches her and attacks, she just has to take it. Archers tend to be very accurate, with high crit rates, but you need to be careful to shield them from reprisal.

The game offers a tip to this effect, in its usual style. Anyway, the bandits realize they're being attacked and scramble to respond.

Joke's on them, walls don't block weapons in Fire Emblem, so I can stay safe in the entrance corridor and wail on them - another hidden tutorial to teach the player how to properly make use of Neimi. I have quite a few units with two-range options now (Garcia is performing nicely with the family hatchet) and these enemies can't respond. I look for keys and only find enemies holding one Chest Key and one Door Key, so I know there must be more to the map than I'm seeing. The developers wouldn't put treasure here that I can't get, right?

Just as I thought – at the end of the first turn, a green unit emerges from some stairs nearby the entrance. He says a few smug things about how he's going to rob these bandits blind.

…It's the smirky guy. WAIT, what are you doing here as a green unit? I thought you were part of this gang? I got robbed by an equal opportunity thief? If he's not with Bazba, what are the chances that he would just show up here at the same time as Eirika?

Wait a second, it's COLM. It's the guy we came here to rescue! This is so funny. Did he just come back from a trip to the 100% Off Bracelet Store to find that his village was destroyed? …Oh. Oh no, that's quite sad, actually. Well, I move Neimi to talk to him, and their conversation is a bit strained. Colm is surprised and displeased to see her. While I think he's worried about the possibility that she'll be harmed, he's a bit of an ass about it, and cocky too. Meanwhile Neimi is painfully earnest.

Well, I've recruited Colm, so let's talk about the thief class! They're usually speedy sword-users. They're not too good in combat, but that's because their true value is their ability to open locked chests and doors. In Sacred Stones, this requires an item, the Lockpick. Colm starts with one. It only has 15 uses (even less than Seth's pretty lance). I hope the game will give me another one before too long, but just in case, I conserve its uses during this map: breaking through walls and using enemy-held keys instead of making Colm pick the doors.

Together, Neimi and Colm introduce yet another mechanic: support conversations! These are a defining, and some would say the best, part of Fire Emblem. There are other strategy RPGs out there, but your Advance Wars and your Final Fantasy Tactics just involve controlling a swarm of generic goons. What Fire Emblem offers is personality – each unit is a named character with a unique personality, backstory, and aptitudes. Of course, characters are most interesting when they interact with each other, and that's where supports come in. Each unit has a list of potential supports – basically, which other characters they can become friends with. As these characters fight side-by-side, their bond will deepen and grow. When they reach a certain threshold of support points, they unlock a support conversation: a special cutscene where they talk to each other. These conversations can be sweet, heartbreaking, funny, or hold information that's important to understanding the story! They are the main way for units like, say, Gilliam, who don't speak up much during the story, to get characterization.

They are also where the romance happens. This is why Fire Emblem is sometimes called, "chess with an anime dating simulator stapled to it."

(Note: Colm and Neimi C is the only conversation I've unlocked so far, and that worries my shipper's heart. I'm used to unlocking more supports than that in the first few chapters, but then again I don't actually know how to raise support points in this game. They keep tweaking it. Fighting with another character next to you is usually a good bet, though.)

When one of them ends a turn next to the other, a Support option appears in the menu. I select it and Colm and Neimi use the reprieve given them by Gilliam (who is blocking an axeman at the door) to get in a very silly argument: Colm calls out to her. Neimi says hi to him and asks how he's doing.

Colm: This is no time for pleasantries! You need to concentrate in battle!
Neimi: I was just being polite.

I did laugh at that. From there, Colm says he can't believe she's holding her own on the battlefield (in a condescending way, of course). It's established that these two haven't changed from when they were children, when Neimi was a crybaby who followed Colm around like a lost duckling, and Colm was mean. Neimi does get tired of his attitude and snaps back at him:

Neimi: Just stay out of my way!
Colm: Ugh! Only if you stay out of my way, first!

I'll amend my earlier statement. These two haven't changed from when they were children because they are still children. The kind of children old enough to pick up weapons and claim strenuously that they aren't children, but still. They are clearly not adults yet.

I use Colm to get the three treasure chests in the top room, which are just basic weapons, nothing exciting. Then I get a nasty surprise: one of the enemies in the barrel room is a thief, and he steals Eirika's Vulnerary. That's a healing item! A cheap healing item, but still! I can't buy those yet! Since when could thieves do that? Can Colm do that?

Meanwhile, the southern room with a lone treasure chest contains one enemy, and I've sent Gilliam, Vanessa, and Ross there in the hope that the three of them combined can beat a single axe fighter. My hopes are in vain. It's like a comedy sketch as the three of them keep missing, until eventually Vanessa dies.

I reset. This time, I send Gilliam to act as a meatshield for Colm and Neimi in the north room, and Garcia guards his son in the south treasure room. This is successful and I get the treasure, which turns out to be a Javelin. This gives me an idea – remember that annoying enemy thief?

Well, Vanessa can reach him with her Javelin from this room. He's got terrible stats – meant to be a threat to my inventory, not my HP – so this is a way she can contribute to the battle, and maybe level up, and become less damn fragile.

And she's out of the archer's range there. I checked this time.

The thief dies in two turns (Vanessa does not level up) and I can finally venture into the barrel room without fear. Eirika makes short work of the first fighter and levels up. Then I realize that Vanessa was out of the archer's range because the thief was occupying the only spot he could have used to shoot at her. Now that the thief is dead…

I think I'm going to start a Deaths Counter.

[VANESSA DEATHS: 3]

You know, I saw Sumia die a lot on Chapter 4 of Awakening, too. I think I'm just not good with pegasi and the women who ride them. Or men, for that matter – I lost Subaki a few times in Birthright. Oh well, it was a shitty level for Eirika anyway, just HP and Resistance. I reset, and this time I rescue Vanessa with Ross before the archer can get her.

The rest of the enemies are unremarkable until we get to the boss. I let Neimi have the first shot at him.

You know, I spent this whole chapter wondering why her battle sprite has a high ponytail when her portrait just shows her with a bob cut. Did her portrait need to be smaller? Was there not room for an awesome ponytail? Only at the very end did I realize that the 'ponytail' is just the string and arc of her bow, which is the same color as her hair. Her actual hairstyle is very similar to mine, in fact. I wonder if I could cosplay her.

…I pause writing to go grab a hairband. It does wonders to keep my bangs out of my eyes. I'm not used to wearing my hair this short, you see. Thanks, Neimi. I'm going to wear hairbands a lot more now.

Well, Bazba is sitting on a throne and his defense and avoidance are both sky-high. I end up surrounding him with as many characters as possible to chip away at his health. I even move Seth in, just in case.

The Seth Option is not necessary, however, as Garcia gets the kill. Eirika seizes the throne (turns out only lords can seize?) and the map ends.

The battle over, Neimi starts to break down, as she releases all the fear she felt for her friend. Colm finally apologizes for his actions, or one of them at least. He tries to cheer her up by showing her what he stole from the bandit lair: a mirror. Neimi's mirror, actually, inherited from her mother. And if that sounds unimpressive to any of you, just remember that in pre-modern times mirrors were expensive artisan items and usually really nicely decorated. You couldn't just slap a large mirror on your bathroom wall as a matter of course. There's a hallway lined with mirrors in the palace of Versailles, and that was King Louis XIV showing off how stupidly rich he was.

Neimi's so touched that she starts crying even harder. She can't even speak.

Seth interrupts their moment to demand "Princess Eirika's bracelet." Colm is confused – either he's playing dumb to the accusation of stealing, or he's genuinely shocked that he robbed a princess. Either way, Seth doesn't wait for his explanation and just shakes him down for the ill-gotten booty.

It's unclear exactly what Seth is doing in this scene, but the image in my head is extremely funny. Once he has what he came for, he pauses to give Colm some advice: "If this young woman is so important to you, perhaps you should try listening to her more."

"Um, yeah…right," Colm says, in the manner of my little brother when he knows he's done something bad but doesn't want to talk about it because if he does, he'll feel guilty.

Seth turns to leave, but Colm stops him, asking to join his mercenary band. Or 'mercenary band', wink wink nudge nudge, he's heard Seth mention the Princess after all. Colm and Neimi don't have anywhere else to go, you see. Seth is reluctant to become a babysitter to yet more kids, but Colm promises that they can pull their own weight, and anyway, he points out, "No matter where we go, there's just gonna be more fighting." If the choice is being in danger just the two of them or being in danger with Seth nearby, he'll take the latter. Seth acquiesces.

I'm reminded of the saying, "In a time of war, the safest place to be is in the army."

Back outside, Seth returns the bracelet to Eirika. She reminisces about receiving it from her father as a child. Apparently, her brother wears a matching one.

…Okay. So it can't have a Sacred Stone then, because Renais only has one of those. Does it have…some kind of magic power? Is it a secret key to the spaceship of the moon people? Just like me, Eirika wants to know why Seth was obsessed with getting it back.

He can't dodge the question any longer. Seth explains that the true purpose of the twins' bracelets is…to be kept secret until absolutely necessary, by order of King Fado. Damn it!

But I shouldn't be mad at him. Seth sounds genuinely uncomfortable, refusing his princess. Perhaps Eirika could get him to tell her if she were to push harder, but she relents, saying, "If you say that it must wait, then it must wait." The two of them converse a little while longer. Seth warns her that, while he looks forward to a bright future where she is reunited with her brother and the land is at peace, the road there will be long and full of trials. Eirika accepts this with her usual grace.

Chapter 3.X: Office Politics
I've covered each chapter in one post so far, but the moment I saw this juicy scene, I knew that I was going to need the maximum number of screenshots to do it justice. As Seth and Eirika steel themselves for the road ahead, a new setting fades in: Grado Castle. We're getting a look at the villains, everyone.

Our scene opens with three co-workers…well, they're hanging out and gossiping. They might try to dress it up as 'exchanging intelligence' or whatever, but that's what they're doing.

We met General Selena last chapter. She was getting ready to leave Renais then, and now that she's back, her co-workers (it comes out later in the scene that they're other generals) want to know what news she has from the front. She tells them that, metaphorically, Renais has been beaten unconscious with a baseball bat, and then thrown naked in a rat-infested alley, and if current trends continue the rats are going to start eating fingers and toes.

The older gentleman on the left, Duessel, is disturbed to hear this. He hasn't received any orders on the subject, but he is considering sending some troops on his own initiative to restore some order in Renais. He doesn't understand why the Emperor wouldn't have ordered it, anyway. Isn't it just common sense to try to govern the territory you conquer?

The man in the middle, Glen, is more outspoken. He says out loud what the other two are only thinking: What the hell? Emperor Vigarde has never been a warmonger before; he's never been interested in breaking treaties before; in fact, he always abhorred violence. Glen also has complaints about the people he's been choosing to promote to positions of power. (Complaining about your incompetent co-workers – classic workplace gossip!)

Selena doesn't want to hear a word said against the emperor. It doesn't matter if he's changed – their job is to follow orders. (Even if those orders are stupid? Or unethical?) Duessel calls them both to task, sternly. It's time for their audience with the emperor.

Okay…even the people of Grado aren't comfortable with the direction the empire is going. Even the emperor's closest advisors think his recent actions are bizarre and morally suspect. And, as people who've worked closely with him for years, they can confirm that there's been a drastic change in his personality. Okay. I've been holding off on speculation so far, but I think I have enough information to make some preliminary guesses.

I currently favor two possibilities: One, the emperor recently died and that's a shapeshifter pretending to be him. Two, he is under the mind control of an evil sorcerer (and, knowing Fire Emblem, the sorcerer is part of a crazy cult that serves the Demon Dragon). Let's continue with the scene and see if there are more clues!

We enter the throne room, which is all black and red, very Evil Empire aesthetic, with domineering organ music playing. Emperor Vigarde congratulates the three generals on their recent success, but his praise is not unqualified. Apparently, other soldiers outperformed them, and it's become clear that they "lack the strength to conquer the remaining nations alone." A confirmation of what I suspected – he doesn't intend to stop at Renais; his goal is complete domination of Magvel. So he's promoting three new generals. The implication is clear that, if Selena, Glen and Duessel don't meet expectations, they can be replaced. Okay, that's a pretty uncomfortable position for the old guard, but things are about to get worse, because their new co-workers deserve everything Glen has to say about them and more.

First is one of the most evil-looking gentlemen I've ever seen in pixels, Riev. His hands aren't visible on screen, but I'm sure that they're either rubbing together like the paws of a rat or tucked into his robes, gripping the hidden dagger he plans to stab someone with. It turns out that Vigarde likes giving his generals cool gemstone-themed epithets, and Riev's is Blood Beryl. (Interestingly, beryl is usually sea-green. Red beryls are very rare and only found in a few locations in the southwestern US.)

You might be surprised to learn that Suck-up Riev actually makes the best first impression of all. We're only going downhill from here.

Caellach is a former mercenary, and the first thing he does after introducing himself is to crudely make a pass at Selena (she ignores him). Lovely. His epithet is Tiger Eye, a gemstone symbolically associated with the ferocity and strength of, well, tigers. Some cultures also believe it wards off evil. Unfortunately, I don't believe it wards off sexual harrassment.

The third new addition is a familiar one: Valter, the wyvern rider who wounded Seth in the prologue. And by familiar, I mean he actually says, "So we meet again," to remind the players who he is. In-story, I think he's talking to Glen, who seems to know him (they're also the same class, judging by their sprites).

Glen is NOT happy to see him here, or willing to take his blatant insults, but Duessel steps in between them and stops a fight from breaking out in the throne room (Emperor Vigarde, by the way, does nothing during all this). Valter's epithet is Moonstone, a stone which has too many associations to list here. Anything the Moon can do, moonstone can too.

Interestingly, Valter already referred to himself as a general when we met him in the prologue. It seems that the promotions took place during the campaign, and this meeting is simply an official welcoming ceremony of sorts. Also, the reveal of their sick new titles. I wonder if Selena, Glen and Duessel have those too?

Emperor Vigarde then gives them their new assignments. Selena and Caellach are to conquer Frelia. Riev and Duessel are to defend the homeland. And Glen and Valter are tasked with capturing Eirika and Ephraim. Each of the new generals is being paired with an old general, which might be a way of keeping the more 'old-fashioned' members of the government from protesting Emperor Vigarde's new direction – if they're isolated from each other in different regions, they can't team up.

Still, I can't help but feel that Vigarde (or whoever's controlling him) wants conflict to break out among his own people. After seeing Glen and Valter nearly start throwing hands in the throne room, he's still partnering them together? If you assume he's not an idiot…then the only way to explain his actions is that he just wants to cause as much chaos and destruction as possible. He doesn't have Grado's best interests at heart; he's just using Grado's superior army as a hammer to smash Magvel's peace. Of the old guard, Glen seems the most willing to protest his emperor's actions, and now he's forced to work with a man he hates, on an assignment that will bring him in direct contact with the heroes…I think he's going to switch sides. Well, I'll be happy to have a flier with more durability than Vanessa!

Now, there's one more thing I want to point out about this scene.

With no dialogue boxes in the way, we can get a good view of everyone's field sprites, which, in this game, are tied to classes. Glen and Caellach are both wyvern riders, Duessel is a mounted knight with an axe (a great knight?), Riev is a spellcaster with a big staff (a bishop?), Caellach is an infantryman with a shield, and Selena is on a horse as well. The heavily armored figure on the throne there is Vigarde.

But there's one more character in the scene, standing beside the throne. Someone in heavy robes and shoulderpads. Following a hunch, I checked my screenshots of the prologue as well, and this character (or someone in the same class) also accompanied the Gradoan soldiers when they invaded King Fado's throne room.

Hanging back, just a little. Never speaking, never directly taking part in the action. Since they've never spoken, I've never seen their portrait, and I don't have any more details about them. But, if Emperor Vigarde really is being controlled by an evil sorcerer, wouldn't it make sense for that person to be hanging around his side at all times?

Well, I've recruited Colm, so let's talk about the thief class! They're usually speedy sword-users. They're not too good in combat, but that's because their true value is their ability to open locked chests and doors. In Sacred Stones, this requires an item, the Lockpick. Colm starts with one. It only has 15 uses (even less than Seth's pretty lance). I hope the game will give me another one before too long, but just in case, I conserve its uses during this map: breaking through walls and using enemy-held keys instead of making Colm pick the doors.

That's a healing item! A cheap healing item, but still! I can't buy those yet! Since when could thieves do that? Can Colm do that?

This is something Colm can do as well. GBA thieves can steal non-weapons from people if their speed is >= the enemy's speed(including getting into a stupid steal off with an enemy thief who ties their own speed). A fair number of maps will have stealable items on random enemies(or more often bosses) which can vary from vulneraries, to stat boosters, and even promotion items.

(Note: Colm and Neimi C is the only conversation I've unlocked so far, and that worries my shipper's heart. I'm used to unlocking more supports than that in the first few chapters, but then again I don't actually know how to raise support points in this game. They keep tweaking it. Fighting with another character next to you is usually a good bet, though.)

GBA supports tend to grow pretty slowly, with the exception of certain characters. Compared to later games, you also have a much shorter support list with each character, pre-mod, only supporting between 3 and 7 characters. Most characters have 4-6 and only your lords have 7 options.

One other thing that's... annoying, but promotes replay is that you can get 5 support ranks total per character. So, 5 C supports would be a max, 1 A and 1 B, 1 A and 2 C's, etc.

Colm and Neimi are unique in that they start with a C if you want it, while everyone else grows slowly and you're bet is a good one for growing them. Their is a cap on how many support points a unit can gain per map as well though.

I think I'm going to start a Deaths Counter.

[VANESSA DEATHS: 3]

You know, I saw Sumia die a lot on Chapter 4 of Awakening, too. I think I'm just not good with pegasi and the women who ride them. Or men, for that matter – I lost Subaki a few times in Birthright. Oh well, it was a shitty level for Eirika anyway, just HP and Resistance. I reset, and this time I rescue Vanessa with Ross before the archer can get her.

Early game peg knights in GBA suffer from this, a lot. Con is one part of the problem, where they're weighed down by everything, but simple frailty to a big one too.

Back