In Which I Watch Several Lesser-Known Kaiju Movies

So during the whole quarantine/isolating thing I've been watching a number of kaiju movies. Some classics (Mothra, Destroy All Monsters, Astro Monster, etc. Mostly with my dad- he quite liked Mothra and the Ghidorah flicks!) but also some less-watched ones.

So I thought I'd share some thoughts!

I'll open up with Godzilla Raids Again, probably one of the least watched Godzilla films. I'd heard it was boring going in, but watching it, I found it pretty enjoyable, like not at the top of the Showa era but well made enough, and one of the few movies that explicitly talks about how there's two Godzillas. Anguirus was cool as a second aggressive kaiju (actually the driver of the plot) and the humans were alright. Aaand then the last act hit and I went, 'oh, yea, I see what everyone is talking about now, this is boring.' You see the monster conflict is mostly driven by Anguirus, and then after the final Anguirus vs Godzilla fight... well you know how a lot of Godzilla movies throw him into the ocean or an island at the end and call it a day? The last half hour is 'well the monster has left of its own accord to an uninhabited island, let's spend a lot of time going after it to trap it.' There's no tension because there's no more rampaging! No one is under threat except the force sent after him. If you're watching, stop five minutes after the big climatic battle.

Oh I also briefly tried the dub and it suuuucks. Skip it! The lead gets completely rewrittten as basically 'Japanese yokel who grew up just knowing the simple life rice farming' (he's a pilot and his backstory has nothing to do with that). The Japanese stereotyping is obvious and painful.

Next up is Varan the Unbelievable, which I'm actually finishing up watching as I write. Also sometimes called a boring flim, I'd say it's not bad, at least in the Japanese version- I hear the US version is worse and it's not on the disk I have so I can't even check. It's mostly rampaging and dealing with Varan surviving various attempts to stop it, but the fights have enough variety and in different terrain to not be just a slog if you want to watch some monster rampaging. Also knowing Varan can fly I thought he'd be an agile monster but he's actually quite plodding when not in the air.

One kinda hilarious bit is the Japanese characters from Tokyo go to the village that talks about their giant god, Baradagi, and when he shows up and report it in they basically just go, "... it's Varan." So Varan *should* be named Baradagi, they just don't care the villagers already had a name! Varan is a shortening of the supposed scientific name but even so, this specific Varan should be Baradagi. There's also no reason for Baradagi to attack except they thought for sure they could kill it where they found it ('just to be on the safe side'), in the process forcing it out and to rampage. Oops? Monster wise, fairly animalistic, not too much personality, but a solid design.

Fairly low in the Toho monster movie rankings, Raids Again is better *if* you skip the ending half hour, otherwise Varan, both are watchable if you're into old kaiju movie history, though on the whole are eclipsed by the later 60s movies which tend to have more creative plots and richer characters.

Next post: Two of Ray Harryhausen's monster movies! Which I actually watched first but I never promised to do things in any order.

Last edited:
Don't forget The Mysterians, Rodan, Atragon, Space Amoeba, Dogora, King Kong Escapes, and, of course, Yamato Takeru.

Don't forget The Mysterians, Rodan, Atragon, Space Amoeba, Dogora, King Kong Escapes, and, of course, Yamato Takeru.

This is not a promise to watch every old kaiju movie!

... though I do have two of those on my 'watch list,' I'm just gonna watch when the mood strikes so could be awhile. I'mma start with ones I've already watched.

*Edit* I also have some obscure ones not on the list which I think will come as a surprise ^^

Last edited:
Ok, two more movies, both by Ray Harryhausen!

The first should come as no surprise- The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. Famous as the movie that helped inspire Godzilla, this one has a lot of the big beats- monster awakened by atomic testing, it actually leaves a poisonous zone when injured, clever new weapon used to defeat it. It's got some impressive effects- all the more so when you realize the Rhedosaurus and it's rampage was pretty much a one person operation in Harryhausen- surrounded by a standard plot. And I mean, very standard. Even though it's one of the first giant monster movies (along with Kong), it feels like any one of a number of paint-by-numbers monster plots- starting with 'is there really a monster?' then 'We've proven there is a monster- now where is the monster?'. It's reasonably competently done but you don't need to see much of it aside from the rampage honestly. It has some missteps like the poison aspect only discovered very late on (unlike Godzilla's radioactivity), and the solution unveiled just a few minutes later so there's little tension from that factor. The monster itself is great but Beast is mainly notable for it's historical influence, and if it came out after some of the others it'd probably be largely forgotten. Outside, again, of the rampage scenes, which are very well done! To an extent Varan and Raids Again were also pretty standard kaiju plots, but I found them more engaging (... outside the last half hour of Raids again) and they didn't have the long 'let's prove there's a monster/where is the monster?' stretches. It's not that the human scenes are bad so much as you will 100% feel it's the exact same stuff you've seen before.

The second one, 20 Million Miles to Earth, is a different story. Harryhausen creates Ymir, the monster from Venus, which arrives on Earth via a space mission that crashes on return to Earth and grows up, and grows, and grows.... you know how in Cloverfield, the real motive of the monster is it's basically a confused child that doesn't really know what's going on? That's even more explicit here, and you can see the events that shape Ymir's attitude and actions. Of all the four movies I've covered so far, Ymir has easily the most personality of the monsters (Yes, that includes Godzilla, who gains most of his personality in his next movies. Varan and Rhedosaurus are both basically just animalistic). Also notable for being the only kaiju movie that takes place in Italy (Harryhausen wanted an Italian vacation for research ^^), which provides it with some nice backdrops and setpieces unseen in any other kaiju movie, and the human side isn't bad (outside of one weak romance), with the note the human characters rotate in and out as the monster travels rather than us following the same cast the whole time. Beast may be more famous, but 20 Million Miles is easily the superior kaiju film by Harryhausen- of the two I've seen, 'It Came From Beneath the Sea' isn't on the streaming sites I have and I don't feel like dropping money on it since it sounds fairly standard fair.

Where Beast gets a 'just watch the monster scenes,' and Raids Again and Varan are both 'competently done but later stuff does it better,' 20 Million Miles has more unique stuff going for it. While it's not in my top kaiju movies, if you want to see an older monster movie that breaks from the formula, check that one out.

Aw, yeah, Harryhausen!

(he's one of the reasons I consider myself a dilettante nerd, rather than a proper nerd, as I've watched relatively few of his movies, despite considering myself a big fan of his work)

Aw, yeah, Harryhausen!

(he's one of the reasons I consider myself a dilettante nerd, rather than a proper nerd, as I've watched relatively few of his movies, despite considering myself a big fan of his work)

For his fantasy fair, I think Seventh Voyage of Sinbad is his best movie, and it even has some nice big monsters (a couple cyclopses and a dragon). Both his greek movies- Clash of the Titans and Jason and the Argonauts- are quite solid too.

Heck, while not exactly kaiju movies, all the ones I just mentioned have at least kaiju scenes!

*Edit* I also have some obscure ones not on the list which I think will come as a surprise ^^
Roland Emmerich's Godzilla? :V

One thing that surprised me is that how many Generation Z's I've run into in person or online know it exists but haven't actually watched it, or at least watched it all the way from opening title to end credits.

Roland Emmerich's Godzilla? :V

One thing that surprised me is that how many Generation Z's I've run into in person or online know it exists but haven't actually watched it, or at least watched it all the way from opening title to end credits.

No, but I will mention that some people have called it a 'Beast from 20,000 Fathoms remake more than a Godzilla film,' and it's not wrong. There's the same 'where's the monster?'/disappearing monster thing, and in both the monster ends up tangled up in something (roller coaster/bridge). And... I gotta say, the Tristar Zilla's humans and plot are more interesting.

Next movie's a newer one, Trollhunter:

It's a Norwegian film, and I'd say only semi-kaiju since *most* of the trolls they deal with are smaller size. A college documentary group pings on to the existence of a man who hunts trolls for the government (initially mistaken for a beer poacher) and work to convince him to let them follow & film him, while he deals with unusual troll activity. It's technically 'found footage' but I almost forgot about that part by the end, it was just really fun watching them record and learn about troll activities, and the world building's nice.

They obviously eventually meet a giant troll- cover spoils that much- which is enough to get this included here and raise Norway as the second Scandinavian country to have a kaiju movie.

Good movie, and the documentary angle's not a common one so fairly unique. Oh, and since the camera operator is actually a student with camera training, they know how to keep a camera steady most of the time, unlike some camera operators ^^ Looks at Cloverfield

Last edited:
I figure Shin isn't that obscure- at least I've seen it mentioned by prominentish YouTubers and covered in Birth.Movies.Death.

It's hard to think of a Godzlla movie that would qualify as Obscure

Cozzilla?

Yea, I guess there's no way I'm going to catch anyone off-guard with the obscureness of a Godzilla flick. Still, the one I picked is even more obscure than Destroy All Monsters!

Wolfman vs Godzilla was an interesting watch- the military scenes were well-done, and the fighting was creative, with Wolfman showing the intelligence one would expect from a human-turned kaiju- the human bits also seem like they're part of an interesting story. While just incomplete bits of this are out and for now it's basically just a showcase of shots, if the full cut was released it seems like it'd be quite a movie. I'm not sure on it being able to get a release, though with ex-Toho employees involved maybe they'll allow it. And I'm quite impressed with their Wolfman costume- it looks even cooler than the Godzilla suit (which looks a lot like the KKvG suit), and better than a lot of actual toho suits.

Wolfman vs Baragon is Wolfman's kaiju debut a decade before Wolfman Godzilla. Just a short little few-minute fan film- Wolfman's not as cool yet, and it's amusing to see how they make Baragon-on-a-budget.

Last edited:
Oh, right Shin Godzilla. You know, now that I'm actually thinking about it, Shin plays like a Japanese remake of 20000 Fathoms. Everyone, including the studio and the producers, insist it's a modern update of the original Godzilla movie, but Shin hews a lot closer to the plot beats/elements of 20000 Fathoms than the original did.

Oh, right Shin Godzilla. You know, now that I'm actually thinking about it, Shin plays like a Japanese remake of 20000 Fathoms. Everyone, including the studio and the producers, insist it's a modern update of the original Godzilla movie, but Shin hews a lot closer to the plot beats/elements of 20000 Fathoms than the original did.

True, it kinda does. Though with the political angle, the evolving threat, etc. to make it a much richer film.

Geharha: The Dark and Long Hair Monster

This movie is definitely lesser-known, and also debatably a 'movie' since it's only 20 minutes, but in those 20 minutes it does a great job of hitting all the beats of a traditional kaiju movie and doing so well- it's kiiinda a parody but also takes itself seriously, there's no laugh track or forced jokes but it does pause just enough after the guy saying proverbs about Geharha to let you know it knows what it's doing humor-wise. Also, well, it's a hair monster! With traditional yokai origins, which is cool as well.

Despite being a made-for-TV short film, the effects are excellent, the monster design solid, the actors carry their parts, and while obviously there's not *too* much room for fleshing out it watches like a proper kaiju movie, just in less time, without feeling super-rushed.

And be sure to keep watching after the 'fin'!

If you can find it, I totally recommend giving it a watch, the makers know how to make a kaiju movie.

Last edited:
After Geharha, I watched another made for TV shortfilm, Negadon the monster from Mars. Which I did not realize was animated until I began watching! I normally count animated stuff separate but this one was made specifically in celebration of the kaiju genre being 50 years old and intended to harken back to the Showa era. In terms of looks of the characters and such, it does so, but it falls prey to the 'stuff in the past is septia color and grey' with a lot of rain and a general pallet in that area outside the red of the monster (a rather unusual shaped creature like a living UFO), while the Showa era kaiju films were far more known for their bright colors outside the first two (which were literally B&W). I was also unaware there was a giant robot, so we got some monster vs robot action. Tone-wise, it's pretty dark- the scientist who made the robot has a tragic past involving it and such. Things are shot quite artistically, shots lingering on birds on wires in the rain and stuff like that, lots of pausing to reflect.

All in all, as two celebrations of the kaiju genre, Geharha easily gets my pick for it's fun and packing in a whole kaiju plot-arc so expertly. Negadon was well-made but it's too dark in look and tone to really be a sendup. Still, it's also short (30 minutes), and if a darker tone and look is ok with you you might find it worth a watch.

This post I'm going to talk about two kaiju movies, one very well-known, one not so much though you may have head of.

First, Mothra. This is a really good movie. Which I knew going in to my re-watch, but rewatching it, comparing it to the 50s films that I'd watched before, and listening to some of the commentary made me realize how impactful it was. Aside from introducing our lady Mothra and the twins, it was a real watershed movie in that instead of hiring a director who mainly did SF films, they hired one known for dramas, and for a lead, hired a comedian to play the main reporter. The result was a movie with a lot more emotional and tonal variety than the kaiju movies of the 50s, which tended to either be about people seriously talking about how to beat the kaiju, or at the least doing it straight. This was also one of the first kaiju with personality (along with Gorgo and Ymir. And no, Godzilla didn't really have much personality til King Kong vs Godzilla and Ghidorah the Three Headed Monsters).

1961 was a dividing line among Kaiju movies. The earlier ones, both Japanese and US, tended to be straightforward SF monster flicks with fairly similar plots- the original Godzilla being probably the best version of it ever, but the rest were mostly shadows, and most kaiju were just animalistic at this point. Mothra opened up the kaiju world and is why we saw a blossoming of directions Kaiju movies could go in and the variety that was to come- while meanwhile the US movies, without Mothra, sticking to the old formula and you wouldn't see another US kaiju movie outside of two Kong flicks and a smallish dragon in New York (Q- The Winged Serpent) til the '98 Godzilla.

Anyway, cast, plot, monster (also of note; Mothra is BIG! People remember them growing Kong to fight Godzilla, but they shrunk Mothra about in half!), all really good. A definite classic!

Second, The Mysterians! This one's only somewhat of a kaiju movie and is really more of an alien invasion movie where among the alien's tools is a type of giant robot called Moguera- which is where you've likely heard of it, since Moguera gets repurposed in Godzilla vs Space Godzilla as a unit made for humanity to fight Kaiju after the destruction of Mechagodzilla. Anyway, back to this movie, it starts out with three mysterious disasters- Fire, Earthquake, and Giant Robot. Each are stopped (yes, Moguera isn't the main threat of the movie), then the aliens, dubbed Mysterians by a scientist a name they run with, show up and open communication.

And the alien invaders in that are such gaslighters! "Oh yea, we caused some disasters as a show of force but if we didn't then you would've attacked for no reason so it's really your fault when you think about it. We're peaceful pacifists."

They land a dome-shaped fortress not far from Mount Fuji and begin with their demands- a small 3km radius area around them, and the 'right to marry' Earth woman, due to their genetic damage. And by 'right to marry' I mean they've already kidnapped several.

The nations of Earth retaliate, having pretty much pinged to the idea that initial demands are just going to be a start, their demands increase, supporting that idea, and both sides roll out several weapons and tricks (including a second Moguera unit).

All in all it's an enjoyable, colorful alien invasion movie, not far different in tone than Invasion of the Astro-Monster or Destroy All Monster, and the battles progressing as a siege of the powerful alien dome-fortress is an interesting format for the battles. If you liked those two movies, I recommend giving it a spin.

Last edited:
Got another to report on!

You may have heard of The X From Outer Space aka Giant Space Monster Guilala as one of the weirder kaiju moves from the 60s, so I was expecting something, like, Gamera level. It wasn't that level of weirdness, well below Guiron or such, but it was pretty weird. Also to my surprise? Very sizeable budget here. If anything visuals-wise, it made me think 'Godzilla vs Gigan with more money and larger cast'.

Well, let me back up to the plot. There's a mission to Mars, and prior missions have been shot down by what they think is a UFO. The new missions goes and does encounter said UFO, and when they return they do so with a spore it left behind which grows into the titular Guilala. Now that sounds like a prologue, but the mission and such is 60%~ of the movie- it has a lot in common with Toho's space epics like the Mysterians and the Battle in Space, or of the Godzilla movies, Destroy All Monsters and the amount of time spent on the mission is considerably. Also like DaM and Invasion of the Astro Monsters, it has several westerners in prominent roles, including the xenobiologist, Lisa. Along the way they stop by a space station, sub out a sick crewmember, and engage in personal drama.

Then when Guilala grows from the spore, that's where the weirdness rep really comes from. As a design, it's up there (surpassing?) Gigan's in weirdness with a UFO-esque head, puffed out limbs, and an interesting way of moving, it'd be at home in a more unusual Ultraman episode, and it's accompanied by psychadelic music. It also made me realize that most 'solo monster rampaging' flicks have more conventional monsters with maybe some fire breathing and flying, so in putting one of the weirder kaiju in a classic rampage accompanied by a space epic, it definitely stands out from the genre.

It's by Shochiku studios, a rival to Toho and Daiei that didn't do any other giant monster movies in this era*, which is a shame because this really is an underlooked gem that's well worth watching. A lot of the other attempts by studios who only made a single go really show it, but the people at Shochiku were pros, even for a first time out it was quite impressive and stood on par with Toho's effects (and as a corollary, above Daiei's lower budget effort).

I recommend checking it out, it's one of the best kaiju movies outside the big studios, and capable of standing shoulder to shoulder with them, a rare thing for studios that only dabbled in kaiju.

*They did do a movie in '98, Giant Monsters Appear In Tokyo, that is purely from the POV of some humans who never actually get to see the monster in an attack, and in '08 a sequel/spinoff/redo to this one, the apparently more comedic/parody Monster X Strikes Back: Attack the G8 Summit.

Watch The Giant Claw next. It's actually better than the memes would make you think it is.

*They did do a movie in '98, Giant Monsters Appear In Tokyo, that is purely from the POV of some humans who never actually get to see the monster in an attack, and in '08 a sequel/spinoff/redo to this one, the apparently more comedic/parody Monster X Strikes Back: Attack the G8 Summit.

Oh God, I watched the second one, you can strike the "apparently" from that sentence.

Back