How We See Ourselves. (A Startrek Warhammer 40K crossover SI.)

I'm sorry the what?

Man Discovery really jumped that shark and didn't it?
Yeah, DISC in and of itself is honestly pretty crazy at times if you ask me, silver lining is that it pretty much set up a Relative to the First Two Seasons show featuring the OG 1701 (No Bloody A, B, C or D) as Captained by Pike and also this moment that Love or Hate the show, it's just freaking awesome and outta Left Field

Yes always. Which still brings the question to mind, why did he even contact Picard and perform the whole trial thing in the first place?

What was his motivation? Annoyance at the federation for their arrogance? Trying to help them? or just because he wanted something new and entertaining?

Personally, my theory is that Q is just annoyed with mortal arrogance. He wants them to change and to realize that they always have to keep pushing the envelope.
Yes, it's fine to build a floating hotel with a living room bridge, and call it the flagship of Starfleet.

You also need real dedicated warships, being peaceful explorers means nothing in a galaxy that doesn't care about you.

Is Q stronger than the Chaos gods?

Unclear.

He's bragged about his own omnipotence, however that was also him bragging. He's been thwarted in the past, there's been implications of several things. Most notably some rules set the Q must obey. What that rule set might be is anybody's guess however.

If we're expanding to novels, Q's definitely not actually omnipotent, but is so much more personally powerful than us that saying he's not amounts to splitting hairs. From our point of view the question is akin to an ant asking what's more lethal, getting runover by a pickup truck or a sedan. Either option is hilarious overkill.

There's also been implications of, for lack of a better word, jurisdiction issues.

It may be that that even he was capable of directly confronting Chaos gods, he might not be allowed to.

Popular fan theory (that I ascribe to) is that Q uses his prankster persona to skirt those rules. For example, tossing the Enterprise into the path of a cube looks like an act of spite, to punish Picard's hubris, but it did give Starfleet advanced warning of the Borg with deniability on his part for the motive.

Personal observation; the Q don't seem to like time travel much. Oh they'll do it as a spectator sport, but even when caught breaking the rules, and other Q intervene they don't ever undo. things that happen stay happened.

Popular fan theory (that I ascribe to) is that Q uses his prankster persona to skirt those rules. For example, tossing the Enterprise into the path of a cube looks like an act of spite, to punish Picard's hubris, but it did give Starfleet advanced warning of the Borg with deniability on his part for the motive.

Personal observation; the Q don't seem to like time travel much. Oh they'll do it as a spectator sport, but even when caught breaking the rules, and other Q intervene they don't ever undo. things that happen stay happened.
Just for a counterpoint, did the other Q's step in to stop Q? Or was Q just pretending that they did? For reasons only known to himself.

Just for a counterpoint, did the other Q's step in to stop Q? Or was Q just pretending that they did? For reasons only known to himself.

There's cases of Q being punished, and cases of Q being the one enforcing the rules.

In TNG, Amanda Rogers (a Q, spoiler, but hey its been 30 years.) had struck the deal that she could remain with humans, and not be drafted off the Continuum, on the condition she not use her powers. She broke the deal, and Q took her away, but her forbidden actions were not reversed. Additonaly, her parents were killed by the continuum for not abiding by the rules.

In Voyager, once Q's son is grown he causes a fair bit of mischief, and is told off for it in a hilarious manner (DON'T. PROVOKE. THE. BORG), but all his actions stand. Indeed, the point of the exercise in hindsight seems to have been to teach the boy about consequences.

Q even starts (and ends) a Q civil war, and its results stand.

There's cases of Q being punished, and cases of Q being the one enforcing the rules.

In TNG, Amanda Rogers (a Q, spoiler, but hey its been 30 years.) had struck the deal that she could remain with humans, and not be drafted off the Continuum, on the condition she not use her powers. She broke the deal, and Q took her away, but her forbidden actions were not reversed. Additonaly, her parents were killed by the continuum for not abiding by the rules.

In Voyager, once Q's son is grown he causes a fair bit of mischief, and is told off for it in a hilarious manner (DON'T. PROVOKE. THE. BORG), but all his actions stand. Indeed, the point of the exercise in hindsight seems to have been to teach the boy about consequences.

Q even starts (and ends) a Q civil war, and its results stand.
The one episode where Q was taken away in thunder and lightning could have been just Q acting, as the episode with Amanda is that test working in Q's favor. Nothing he says or does can be taken at face value.

The one episode where Q was taken away in thunder and lightning could have been just Q acting, as the episode with Amanda is that test working in Q's favor. Nothing he says or does can be taken at face value.

Certainly taking anything a god of trickery and mischief at face value says is risky, but behavior patterns that are consistent can probably be trusted.

There *are* rules, we just aren't privy to what they are.

Some of the books go into a lot more detail, including things like what the Q exist for. One thing established is that the Galactic Barrier surrounding the milky way is maintained by the Q to keep another very nasty life form out. One that takes multiple Q to subdue. Ditto for the creature locked up at the center of the galaxy we see in Star Trek V.

I'm inclined to believe that he doesn't fake enforcing the rules or not, because there's no gain from it. Since we have no clue what the rules are, its hard to draw conclusions. For example, Q went to some lengths to keep Amanda from staying with Humanity, but *why* she could not stay is still up in the air.

Certainly taking anything a god of trickery and mischief at face value says is risky, but behavior patterns that are consistent can probably be trusted.

There *are* rules, we just aren't privy to what they are.

Some of the books go into a lot more detail, including things like what the Q exist for. One thing established is that the Galactic Barrier surrounding the milky way is maintained by the Q to keep another very nasty life form out. One that takes multiple Q to subdue. Ditto for the creature locked up at the center of the galaxy we see in Star Trek V.

I'm inclined to believe that he doesn't fake enforcing the rules or not, because there's no gain from it. Since we have no clue what the rules are, its hard to draw conclusions. For example, Q went to some lengths to keep Amanda from staying with Humanity, but *why* she could not stay is still up in the air.
The real question is what are the punishments for the rules.

Did Amanda's parents choose to live on earth for a time without using her powers, and Q was trying to justify what she needed to come? Just because Riker wasn't tempted to use his powers doesn't mean another wouldn't be. It's possible.

Chapter 16
AN: huge thanks to Robix123123 for betaing.

Standing on the balcony of my new quarters, I look over the manufactory. Hundreds of drones are working. What was once slave pens are being converted into Borg alcoves, which all things considered, are a massive improvement from the previous accommodations.

Just watching the drones work really makes me appreciate the capabilities of nanotech. It also reminds me that the only reason why the Borg haven't taken over the Star Trek galaxy, is that the plot says no.

Though deep down, since I am here and I knew both Star Trek and Warhammer 40K were real. Though I suspect the real reason is that Q didn't want the Borg to win. Which in itself is interesting. I was already starting to suspect that part of my reason for being here, is because Q wanted to remind the warp tumors that he's still stronger than them.

Filing that train of thought away for later, I return to the marvel that is nanoprobes. At their core, they're just microscopic robots that can be programmed to do things. They can Assimilate matter, and also reconfigure into whatever you need.

They do have limits, however, I couldn't just inject the wall of the hive with nanoprobes, and then wait for them to assimilate everything. The Borg themselves knew that was a bad idea, so instead they are programmed to assimilate specific objects, designated by the drone in question, or in the case of a structure, a set area. While the area could be quite large, that also requires the drone to remain stationary with their nanotubes in place, controlling what the nanoprobes do.

The other major limitation is power. Assimilating and reconfiguring matter takes a lot of energy. A limit that I discovered with my assimilation gun. Fortunately, I discovered that during testing, and modified the nanoprobes programming to bring the being targeted into the collective first, and the body changes can come afterward.

It's also the reason why my prototype nano forge is limited to basic objects, I don't have the power to produce more complex objects. That, however, is going to change. No, I won't be able to 3d print shuttles or robots, which is something that I already have the blueprints for. Seriously, species have tried many things to beat the Borg, little work. Even more proof that Q has to be helping the federation.

However, I could 3d print full las rifles and the basic power pack I designed. No need to just make the components, and then have a drone assemble them by hand anymore.

I also knew that with this, I was one step closer to my true goal: Replicators. Which unfortunately required far more advanced computers than I had, and transporters which I'm not even close to developing. I still needed better sensors in order to use them, after all.

However, despite how much of a game-changer they are, I had other more important things to attend to. Namely, the upcoming raid, which according to my newly acquired drones was going to happen in exactly five weeks. Apparently, the gang leaders had connections in the upper hive; they provided slaves, and in return the High Riders gave them a heads up for any upcoming raids.

Other than that, the only piece of information that I gleaned from my new gang, is that the body I found wasn't an outlier. Over the past year, The Takers have regularly found them, as have the other gangs. To the point that the three major players swore to each other that this wasn't their doing.

Whatever this new player is, it has its own goals, just like I do.

Walking back into my quarters, I look over to my new prize sitting on my new workbench. There are many things that I can say about Vibios. He's greedy, self-centered, arrogant, and a prick. He's also very smart, and very good with technology.

Unfortunately, he lacked a single lick of common sense. What all that means, is that the Volkite pistol that was partially disassembled, could be put back together with ease.

Assimilating the pistol, I go over the technology, and honestly it is impressive. In lore, the Volkite pistol is a laser that sets things on fire, explosively in some cases. The fanbase normally calls it a martian death ray, which amusingly enough is what it is, given that they were developed in the forges of Mars.

In reality, the function is actually simple.

They are at their core a high-powered, focused infrared laser. The fact that they have a visible laser beam wasn't sci-fi authors taking creative liberties, rather it was the ones who developed las tech being genre-savvy.

Or in short, the entire reason why all las tech from the humblest las pistol, to the largest lance battery, to volkite weapons, has visible beams is simple. They're tracers.

The designers knew that communications on the battlefield would be difficult. Either from jamming, or due to battle damage and natural conditions. Having a visible laser was basically a sign saying: Here, concentrate your fire on this target.

The fact that I discovered a switch on the side to disable the visible beam just helped confirm it.

Finally, my last piece of business is the assimilation gun. While not performing exactly as I wanted, it was doing its job, bringing a drone under my control was far more important than full assimilation, as that could be done later.

No, the largest issue is the propellant. Simply put, I'm using two different weapons here. One, a chemical propellant, and the other is propelling projectiles via air pressure. It's inefficient, as it requires all drones to either carry two guns in order to ensure that they have the right tool for the job, or to risk losing potential drones or the drones themselves, because they didn't have the right tool for the job.
Hence the reason why I started working on a new one. Seriously, The Takers could have been so much more than just an evil gang. So many brilliant people forced into a criminal life, all because of the High Rider's greed.

Actually, the tech was known to the Borg, ironically enough from assimilated Star Fleet vessels. Mass driver technology. It was how they launched photon torps.

Taking the tech and scaling it down was simple, to the point that it was capable of firing a 4.5mm projectile.

The best part about it is, that I don't need two guns to deal with hard or soft targets, one weapon can do it all. The only thing the user needs to do is, is to adjust the voltage provided to the coils, and the weapon can always ensure the hit was non-lethal.

While the target would most likely be hurt, nanoprobes can fix said injuries.

With all that I was ready. The only thing left to do, is to produce as many weapons in five weeks as I could. At nearly 8000 drones I was slowly becoming a force to be reckoned with. The best part is, neither of the major gangs has any clue that anything is different.

Last edited:
nice to see the mc progressing his base
yea giving a reason the borg did not win is plot aka Q some of the non cannon books had a fun ending to it and start of the borg :D
good to see the mc can keep the eye of nothing being wrong

Might want to put a distance between the people he allows free will to and the "drones" because calling all your people drones is bad PR! Thanks for the chapter.

I was at 8000 drones and still climbing.
Back at the stronghold, I gave the order for the slave uprising to begin.
Not a single member of the gang realized what was happening until they were already assimilated.
At nearly 6000 drones
So how did you lose 2000 drones when you should presumably have lost none and gained the takers membership? Might want to take a pass over your numbers for consistency, and maybe keep a sticky note on hand going forward. It's not the end of the world when this stuff happens but it is a little jarring.
Anyway keep up the good work.

The fact that I discovered a switch on the side to disable the visible beam just helped confirm it.
I'm sorry but this is becoming farcical. You're doing that dull thing where the MC turns up and 'improves' all the tech magically by fiddling with it.

For example, the plasma gun is an anti-armour weapon. That's what it's for, that's why it overheats. If you turn the power down you've just got a more complex lasgun. What's the point? It's like saying 'this missile launcher only has one shot what if I make it smaller and have more missiles' then you just get a normal gun.

It's also generally disrespectful to the setting and becomes silly. Yes the Mechanicus use outdated tech, but they do innovate and they do produce other things. Lasguns are incredible because of their simplicity and ease of use, that's why people use them everywhere.

Currently you've got the Borg using AKs and air guns apparently, then you've given them all mass drivers instead. Great now you've got a very complex gun which variable yield and resource intensive contruction which could go to other things perfectly easily. Comparably you can make an AK in any metal shop, that's what they were designed for, simplicity. They aren't supposed to fill all roles at once they're designed to be manufactured and used easily in all locations and be reliable, that's why they're the most popular guns in history. Comparably yes we have more complex guns now but they require a lot of infrastructure even though they're 'better'.

You don't seem to get these points and it feels like you're trying to demonstrate the MC's superiority in this silly way

Last edited:
I'm sorry but this is becoming farcical. You're doing that dull thing where the MC turns up and 'improves' all the tech magically by fiddling with it.

For example, the plasma gun is an anti-armour weapon. That's what it's for, that's why it overheats. If you turn the power down you've just got a more complex lasgun. What's the point? It's like saying 'this missile launcher only has one shot what if I make it smaller and have more missiles' then you just get a normal gun.

It's also generally disrespectful to the setting and becomes silly. Yes the Mechanicus use outdated tech, but they do innovate and they do produce other things. Lasguns are incredibly because of their simplicity and ease of use, that's why people use them everywhere.

Currently you've got the Born using AKs and air guns apparently, then you've given them all mass drivers instead. Great. You can make an AK in any metal shop, that's what they were designed for, simplicity. They aren't supposed to fill all roles at once they're designed to be used easily and be reliable, that's why they're the most popular gun. Comparably yes we have more complex guns now but they require a lot of infrastructure even though they're 'better'.

You don't seem to get these points and it feels like you're trying to demonstrate the MC's superiority in this silly way
You mean aside from not accidentally killing the user if it overheats?

Secondly what the MC did was what Cawl will eventually do when Guilliman returns, it's not disrespectful to the setting, it's obeying the rules of the setting.

Finally, If you must know, the Gauss rifle she designed is based on the M-72 From fallout. A weapon built using 21st century tech.

You say that I'm disrespecting the setting, but in reality, I'm not, if anything I'm saying look how advanced the setting is. That while living in what amounts to the slums, she could build an advanced weapon.

Considering your setting, I really don't understand why you're downgrading your weapons. I mean you never know what you are facing. It could be an ordinary human but it could also be a Daemon Prince. Lethality is never something you should compromise.

Otherwise, good chapter.

Back