Horizon: A Human Reflection of Earth

Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Horizon: A Human Reflection of Earth is an anthology/continuation series of the alternate history series Proxima: A Human Exploration Mars set in the 23rd century. After a human landing on Mars in 1997, as part of the wildly successful Olympus programs, humanity has settled across the solar system in the 2200s. For a while, it was good, but there are secrets and deception that run deep within these two warring societies. This story highlights an age of humanity struggling with identity, expansion, and defiance in an age where security states and false democracy rules.
Last edited:
An introduction...
Pronouns
They/Them
Hi folks, welcome or welcome back!

It's so nice to digitally see all of your smiling faces, and if you're new here, glad to have you! My name is Nik, and I wrote the Alternate History series
Proxima: A Human Exploration of Mars from 2021-2023. It was a delightful ride that I really enjoyed, and I left it with a bit of a cliffhanger. Now, after a lot of work, false starts and more, I am ready to start the next phase of our story. If you haven't read Proxima, I'd recommend it before starting Horizon - or you can do whatever! This story is expansive, and contains many twists and turns so it is entirely up to you how you approach it. I have so many people I want to thank for getting this project and supporting me throughout the process, and I cannot wait to bring you guys more. But for now, sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.

Part 1, Story 1 coming very soon.

Part 1, Story 1: An Assault on our Values
Hello everyone, and welcome to Part 1, Story 1 of Horizon. While not originally what I had planned for our first story, I wanted to get us immediately engrained in this world, with much more to come. I wanted to once again thank all of those who've stuck it out this far. I am so eager to get going, so let us jump right in...

Part 1, Story 1: An Assault on our Values

Space High Over Callisto

July 21, 2231

"CQ, CQ, this is PSSA Sakura, registration number 88-90-230, requesting departure vector, come back?" The high band array crackled quietly, the only sound emanating from the broken speakers carrying the background radiation of an aging universe.

"Try again. Maybe Jupiter's pissy today." The comms officer would turn his attention back to his console, pulling his microphone closer to his mouth.

"CQ, CQ, this is Commercial Vessel PSSA Sakura, registration number 88-90-230, flag origin Luna, we are requesting departure vectors, come back Callisto Control?" The air was silent once more, and the comms officer would turn back towards the navigation deck. It was stale in here. It had been stale since they left Ceres almost 8 months ago, and it would continue to be stale until they returned. The nav officer, Mitchell Vars, sighed heavily - undoing his restraints. He was a stocky man, fluid shifting around his body had produced an unusual figure for him in his zero-g flight suit. He reeked constantly of tinned fish and sweat, two smells inescapable in a 20 person spacecraft. The comms officer prepared himself mentally as he floated over.

"What seems to be the problem, Jonas?" The small man at the console pulled at switches nervously, attempting to come up with an answer.

"We're at low interference, all the high bands and Ku bands look good, but I'm getting nothing back from Control. We're running out of time that we can complete this burn on this revolution… I know the captain is eager to get going…" A crackle of static and a tone startled the two men, and the eyes of the rest of the bridge were upon them. Jonas attempted to isolate the band, scanning across the spectrum. "That was them… That was them just now! It was a high band… Shit…" As soon as it appeared, the tone faded, dropping back off into the grating noise of cosmic expansion. Vars sighed, a vein in his forehead writhing in visible frustration.

"Contact the shipyard at JL4, whatever interference we're having I'm sure they're ahead of us. Maybe they can relay through. We have a schedule to keep, and I'm sick of being here." The heavier man floated back towards the coffee machine, and Jonas let out a quiet breath into the stale air. Sakura had been in orbit around Callisto for 2 weeks, taking on final supplies for her long voyage back towards the inner Solar System. The great length of her truss had been filled with cargo, slapped and lashed on in any way that they would fit amongst the gargantuan modular containers. Her radiators glowed red hot, ready to dump the heat from their fusion drive as they began their burn. She was older, already being outpaced by the new Conestoga class ships from Maersk Spacelines, but the near 30 year veteran had been through nearly 25 voyages since her launch in 2206. Jonas dabbed at his forehead under his augmented reality visor, the air had grown warmer with the tension of the morning's activity.

"Antares Shipyard, this is PSSA Sakura, we are seeing if we can patch a message back to Control, we've had issues hailing them on any frequency. If able, forward a message with our ident code and departure vectors…"

"... say… unable… come back Sakura? …" Jonas found himself sweating more profusely now, and threw the audio loop onto the better speaker. He spoke with a firmness reserved for emergencies. Everything about his training was coming back to him, a painful reminder of years spent under the regolith at the Lunar shipping facilities.

"Antares Shipyard, this is Commercial Vessel Sakura, please acknowledge steady transmission." The static persisted, pulsing and warbling with the magnetic fields of the planetary system. This time, no reply, just the degradation of the signal into a constant whisper.

"Nav, I need you to move the ship - get all of our reflectors pointed and track us through the orbit. We'll target one of the Control sats nearby first. TLE is on your console." The deck stirred, and Vars floated back to his panel.

"Jonas, you're asking me to move thousands of tons of ship so you can get a prettier picture? We're already behind schedule."

"Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing." The comms officer's tone, never before heard in the narrow confines of the bridge, would cut through the stale air. Vars would not move the ship, instead, he would return to Jonas' side once more. Sweat pooled in globs on his forehead and neck, and Jonas would attempt to hold his breath.

"If the Captain-"

"Captain on deck!" Every eye on the bridge would turn to face Captain Walker as he slipped through the vestibule. He was a grizzled man, more akin to a 20th century seagoing captain than one of a 23rd century space vessel. His prosthetic eye, replacing one he had lost in a depressurization accident years prior, didn't quite match the icy blue of his organic eye. He had been a naval captain for the Pan Solar System Alliance before his "retirement", a life returned to the shipping lanes could hardly be called that. But Walker oozed what a captain should be, patience, confidence, and determination.

"Officer Vars, why are we not in our phasing orbit?" Walker's face crinkled in curiosity as he took his position, watching the rest of the crew perspire.

"Sir - we've had issues getting clearance. Second Officer Jonas was just-" The captain put up his hand, interrupting the stammering flow of words from Vars' mouth.

"Then you can let Jonas explain." The color drained from Vars' face. Gone was the beet reds and blotchy purples of anger, but the milky paleness of humiliation. Jonas moved his display onto the master screen, and turned to face the Captain.

"Sir - approximately 10 minutes ago, I requested departure vectors from Callisto control as we were preparing to begin our burn. All systems on our end are solid, the vehicle is secure and ready for flight, but I am unable to hail Callisto Control, JL4, or… Anyone. I am requesting that we use our next orbit to attempt to secure comms before departure. It's protocol, sir." The Captain stared at the lines of numbers on the master display, a language only true spacefarers understood. Outside, the great disk of Callisto would slip between the warmth of the sun and the body of the ship, casting them into orbital night only offset by the glow of the gas giant far below them.
"Well, try the satellites again. I want everyone assisting Officer Jonas if at all possible. We can still make the departure window if we act promptly-" A tone sounded, and the bridge crew each looked at their consoles, attempting to locate the cause. Klaxons began to scream from the broken speakers, and the flight computer spoke for the first time in a long while:

"CAUTION - Proximity Violation." The room went quiet. Hands stopped moving. Only the hum of electronics and refrigerant pumps would remain. 6 days ago, they had cast off from their final supply tug, a small vehicle known as the Lexington, as she carried the last bits of ECLSS top up and provisions from Callisto's surface. Sakura was not scheduled to encounter another ship until she reached the tugs at Ceres, all those months from now. The Captain's voice changed once more, a steely resolve that mirrored Jonas.

"All hands to stations. I want diagnostics, and I want them now. Prime the RCS incase we need to move. Move!" In the blink of an eye, the room began to buzz. Electronic eyes across the hull of the ship blinked open, scanning their surroundings in an attempt to find what had penetrated their solitude. The ship had no weapons, unable to defend itself in a firefight - there were only two security officers onboard anyway. Alone in the universe, as vulnerable as they could be - not even the bustling ports on the moons below them could hear their calls for help. The Captain secured himself in the command seat, and Jonas found himself paralyzed. Maybe the reports are true, maybe they have made it this far in… He tried to dismiss the rumors, a waste of time on thought that couldn't possibly be true. System Web users were always eager to claim they spotted some ICM ship on their scope, captured some plume images from some sketchy monitoring array - but nothing was ever corroborated. Besides, the industrial presence at Jupiter would deter that… Right?

"Jonas - General Call. I want us to broadcast on every frequency." Hands trembling, Jonas would move the glass case around the general call switch, only to be used in case of emergencies. Every antenna on the ship would prime, ready to spit information into the emptiness of space.

"CQ, CQ, this is Commercial Vessel PSSA Sakura, registration number 88-90-230, to any vessels receiving please ident. This is a General Call. Please respond." The silence of their surroundings cut deep, before another alarm would sound in the cabin. SENSOR BLIND. The cabin grew uncomfortably loud, as repeating tones overlapped into a cacophonous wail.

"God dammit, can someone get me eyes on what's happening outside?" the Captain barked, growing visibly frustrated.

"Negative sir, all of our external cameras and sensors are down, we're completely in the blind…" Any human voice, any reaction would be drowned out, seemingly smothered by the artificial sounds of the world around them. The ship shuddered and groaned as the RCS pulsed, swinging them in a lazy arc to attempt to capture any signal from the satellites lurking high overhead. The smell of vomit filled the air vents, as someone was sick somewhere. Without warning, the ship would lurch, and the smell of vomit would be replaced with the acrid smell of flame. For so long in an age of peace, an age of power projection, had violence been avoided. Now, an attack was underway - an age of peace shattered by a cascade of slug rounds. Outside, green laser dots would confirm their kill, crawling over Sakura's wounded hull like remoras on the belly of a shark. Something out there was watching them, sensors probing at every inch of the damaged hull and bleeding tank.

"Sir, we're listing badly… Whatever hit us managed to strike the starboard reaction mass tank on segment 12-4…" Vars' voice was strained, muffled through his oxygen mask. Jonas had never heard him so concerned before. The Captain's face grew pale, and every passing second seemed to age him more and more, his calm stature cracking.

"Jonas, General Distress. Maximum power to transmitters… I want us to try and contact someone." The comms officer nervously began working at realigning the arrays, thrown into chaos by the slug round that had pierced them. The ship was limping badly, and the red lighting of the bridge flickered as electrical connections failed somewhere. Sakura was dying, a wounded animal nearly adrift. With a quiet exhale, the main bus connections would breathe their last breath - the reactor going into an automatic shutdown mode to prevent explosions from lack of containment. Flickering into existence, the emergency power reserves were opened, a complex series of battery banks and fuel cells behind the crew cabin - they could keep the crew alive for at least a month.

"This is Commercial Vessel Sakura declaring a mayday on all frequencies, we are under attack by unknown assailants, we have no weapons, we are carrying refined materials from Io, I repeat, this is Commercial Vessel Sakura - declaring a mayday on all frequencies, is anyone out there?" The universe would deliver its reply, cold static marked with the piercing disdain of entropy. There was truly nothing, and the crew could only sit strapped in their seats as the void of the cosmos forgot about them.

"Captain! Something off the bow! 120 kilometers by handheld rangefinder!" The captain unbuckled his seatbelt, motioning for the others to stay at their consoles. Jonas poked at his display, pulling his microphone close. Perhaps at last, someone had come looking?

"Don't, Jonas. I don't know what they are."

"Captain, it's worth trying to identify-"

"Just… Don't." Low power lasers filtered through the cockpit windows, attempting to categorize the wounded ship in front of them. Sakura's adversary would soon come into view, revealing her hulking, twisted form as the two ships crossed the terminator. She was a Frigate Bird - a rumored conversion of ships left behind as the colonies at Saturn began their upheaval. Gone were the cargo containers of her past, in her place were vast quantities of tools, designed to latch on to the bodies of spacecraft and rip them limb from limb. As the great ship approached, the crew of Sakura could see just how modified this vehicle was. She was covered in robotic arms teeming with life like some sort of disfigured ecosystem. Spotlights were visible on her hull as she grew closer and closer, closing the distance between them. A light would illuminate on Jonas' panel, a tight beam message from somewhere within the bowels of the ship that was stalking them.

"Captain - they're… They're making contact…"

"We're dead already Jonas. Play it." With shaking hands, the communications officer would open their receivers, and a cold and unfeeling voice would fill the bridge.

"PSSA Vessel, this is ICM interceptor Cagn - There are two skiffs off your portside aft with cannons armed. Power down your transmitters and prepare for boarding. We have you in our sights." The bridge, once bustling with activity, was as silent as a graveyard - it was, in every sense of the word. Hijacking, this far out, meant one thing - the rumors of buildup were true, and their fate was sealed. Gone was the illusion that the Independent Colonial Militia was a notional power, lurking behind rocks far from PSSA activity. They were ready to strike, venomous fangs poised to pluck the innocent and weak from the spacelanes. The two skiffs, armed with grappling cables and robotic limbs, would be the first to grab a hold of the freighter as it drifted, stabilizing it. Docking collars were forced open, and the equalization of pressure would burst eardrums. Jonas sat - staring at his console, watching his world unfold. This was the job he had always wanted, a life away from the complexities of Earth - free from the mundane. A voice, warbling behind a spacesuit faceplate, disturbed him from his trance.

"Hands up, away from consoles, I want everyone lined up for processing!" Jonas felt a set of eyes watching him, listening to the clicking of restraints coming undone. No, he thought, there's still time… Several more individuals clad in space suits piled in, covered in sensors and cameras - the very image of a faceplate so foreign to them. They looked inhuman, strange figures covered in robotic extensions of the self, gliding across the bridge. Large, automatic weapons were strapped to their figures, plugged into them with tubes and wires. Were they even human anymore? As he prepared to line up, a bright red indicator light on the engineers' console shone bright on the dimly lit bridge - the scuttle switch. Only to be used in emergencies, these switches would blow the reactor containment, vaporizing the ship immediately… Perhaps, this was the emergency that would justify it. With a push from the back of his seat, and a shout from the humanoid figures across the room, Jonas dove for the switch - but not before a gunshot rang out. A painful reminder of an attempt in vain. Just as soon as it began, Jonas' rebellion was over - and the fate of Sakura was sealed.

– – – – – – – – – – –

Shackleton One Governance Plaza
Press Office of CEO Bailey Teller
July 23, 2231
10:30 AM - Luna Time

"Citizens of the Alliance - there has been a grave and dangerous assault on our values. One that has left us all shaken, and deeply disturbed by the actions of an enemy that has existed under our noses for too long. Two days ago, as many of you know, the crew of Commercial Vessel Sakura were hijacked by so-called ICM militants and are now believed to be returning to the Saturn system. They were incredibly public about this action, and livestreamed the death of one of the Sakura crewmembers - Second Communications Officer Kurt Jonas. Nearly 20 years ago, when the Outer Colonial Government fell, many predicted that it would be a matter of time before this so-called Militia would fall, and the stable governance of Pan Solar System Alliance values would be their saving grace. We see now that our cultures have split. No longer are they aligned with the morals and values that have maintained peace within the Solar System for nearly 150 years, rather - they have chosen a path that has set them apart from us. An enemy, in every sense of the word. There has been much discussion about the path forward, and the ways in which we as a government will respond. Last night - I assembled my council to draft a directive for future secure operations, and ensuring domestic security across our sovereign territory. This plan, the New Security Directive, will deploy new military assets around the strategic Jovian ports and enact new security protocols at all major shipping facilities. Furthermore - a tactical response group is aggregating at our NRHO staging area to target suspected activity in the Jupiter L5 region. This is not an act of war, rather, it is a response to those who may cause us harm, and come into our homes to take what is not theirs. Thank you all for your time."

And so the next chapter begins....
I really adore the way the ICM is characterized in this event. They've hardly been known as anything more than rumors and dark conspiracies to civilians like Jonas, almost boogeyman - and maybe that's by design. That the ICM is such a cryptic, unknown presence makes it all the more horrifying for the crew when they first catch a glimpse of their attackers. The speech from Shackleton One has eerie echoes of similar events in our own timeline that really help sell the magnitude of what's to come.

I've been following a lot of your WIP Horizon content and it's awesome to see a complete chapter up!! I'm loving the direction this is going, and I'm excited to see how things unfold...

I've been following a lot of your WIP Horizon content and it's awesome to see a complete chapter up!! I'm loving the direction this is going, and I'm excited to see how things unfold...

I'm super glad to have you here! More will be coming soon, and I can't wait to share more of the story with you. A lot of this story is inspired by the real world, and we'll soon see how things tie in with Proxima...

An exciting start! I really loved the radio chatter, spoke to something in here in a fun way. I suppose this is probably a turning point in a long slide for the PSSA, and arguably for the ICM if they're diverging from the sort of privateering relationship you'd expect from two opposed solar system powers.

I suppose this is probably a turning point in a long slide for the PSSA, and arguably for the ICM if they're diverging from the sort of privateering relationship you'd expect from two opposed solar system powers.
In all of my notes, this event is the catalyst - the start of a long awaited slide from a colonial split to something representing a cold war. I am so glad that this came through, and showed my thought process.

Oh, this is really good. You have a knack for authenticity and a sense of reality to your work. Can't wait for more!

Part 1, Story 2: A Staggering Lack of Imagination
Hello everyone, and welcome back to Horizon! Sorry for the delay in posting, but I do hope you'll enjoy this next section as we dive right in and explore what's going on in the Outer Solar System...

Part 1, Story 2: A Tragic Lack of Imagination

AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL ONLY.

PAN SOLAR SYSTEM ALLIANCE JOINT SECURITY REVIEW BOARD.

THE FOLLOWING IS INTERCEPTED SPACE TRAFFIC CONTROL LOGS FROM CERES CARGO FACILITY ECHELON-2 ON FEBRUARY 27, 2234, BETWEEN MAERSK SPACELINES 120J AND CERES TOWER. FOR INTERNAL REVIEW ONLY.

Ceres Tower: MS120J, Ceres Tower, good day, I see you on final maneuvering vectors for docking at Echelon-2, can I get port of origin and cargo from your flight computer when you get a chance.

MS120J: Roger that Tower, good day, we're moving agricultural supplies and raw metals today, and our port of origin is Cognitium Spaceport - Transponder code 129.64.00, MS120J.

Ceres Tower: Cargo and port of origin approved, matching transponder code 129.64 decimal 00. You'll be coming in slightly behind that Evergreen ice hauler, so you'll want to watch out for any plume interactions there.

MS120J: Thank you tower, do you have a pad or facility for us yet or are we still being queried? MS120J.

Ceres Tower: That's uh, unfortunately we're still running your transponders so it'll be a min- Ah, just in time, you'll be headed to pad A-6L, that's Alpha Six Lima. It's a surface pad with umbilicals, that alright for your cargo?

MS120J: Yes sir, that's just fine, direct to pad A-6L, MS120J.

Ceres Tower: Good readback and be advised this is a reactor safe zone, no power ups are authorized even for emergency burns - you're gonna have to be chemical-only, MS120J.

MS120J: This isn't our first rodeo out here at Ceres, Tower, so we copy you on safe shutdown - chem thruster approach only. Landing pad in sight, MS120J.

Ceres Tower: Roger that MS120J, see you on the carts.

Ceres Tower: MS120J, we have a slight change of plans we're gonna put you on pad A-6R, Alpha Six Romeo, instead of Lima, those umbilicals are giving us some trouble on the GSE side.

MS120J: Copy that, tower - we are moving into shut down procedures now, MS120J.

Ceres Tower: Be advised that there are two civilian transports in the area, as you know they have immediate priority for departure.

MS120J: …be advi-

Ceres Tower: Didn't quite get that, Maersk -

MS120J: Goddamn! What the hell…

Ceres Tower: Say again, MS120J?

MS120J: Some- explosi- we're looking at some sort of problem with the drives - we're gonna declare MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY!

Ceres Tower: Roger that MS120J we have you cleared for any of the long pads to the north, commander's discretion, we can have rover crews meet you for evac - state nature of emergency and intentions?

EG990: Ceres Tower, be advised, Rad Spike Alert on our flight deck - Looks like it's coming from the Maersk ship.

Ceres Tower: Roger that Evergreen 990, we see it here too - MS120J, do you have containment failure? State intentions please!

MS120J: Explosives - We have potential containment failure! Potential explosive device onboard! Maneuvering to crash zone-

Ceres Tower: This is a general call, we have a MAYDAY spacecraft inbound to Northern Crash Zones, all incoming spacecraft if you are not in the Reactors Off Sphere we are gonna have you light up and wait - Switch back to Ceres Approach on 121.6 and wait for instruction.

MS120J: Tower, can you give us vectors for the furthest crash zone please?

Ceres Tower: Roger, that's heading 015 north of base it's gonna be about 30 miles out, we have medical crews standing by.

MS120J: NEGATIVE, pull them back to base- rad concerns!

Ceres Tower: Say again, no emergency crew?

MS120J: That's AFFIRM! [OUT OF ILS, ALERT ALERT, OUT OF ILS]

DHL188C: Ceres Tower, they're unable to maneuver - Might want to alert the habitat domes in the region!

Ceres Tower: MS120J - Say intentions!

MS120J: Bomb! It was definitely a bomb! They were going after our reactor! We can't control the spacecraft reliably… Moving away from the station!

Ceres Tower: I can give you any pad you want, say intentions!

MS120J: Get the other ships away from us! [STRUCTURAL FAILURE, CAUTION!]

Ceres Tower: GEN CALL! We have an unstable reactor, move immediately! All traffic needs to move immediately! Unstable reactor! MS120J are you still with me?

MS120J:

Ceres Tower: MS120J, respond on any frequency, are you still there?

MS120J:

Ceres Tower: God dammit…

Background Audio: We need to evacuate the tower, there's a fire in the hab domes - leave everything behind!

DUE TO SEVERE FIRE IN HAB DOMES AND LOGISTICS SECTIONS CAUSED BY THE CRASH LANDING OF MS120J, REMAINING DATA LOGS ARE UNRELIABLE. TOWER CONTROLLERS REMAIN UNACCOUNTED FOR. FURTHER ACCOUNTS PROVIDED IN SECTION 2-13.2

– – – – – – – – – –

ICM Space - Intelligence Trawler Kvasir
February 27, 2234
7 Hours post Detonation

Something rattled somewhere, and no one on the Kvasir stirred. She had been stationkeeping here for many weeks, watching as the chaos downwell unfolded - a carefully planned orchestration of happenstance, false flags, and the true showstopper. The years since the Sakura's hijacking had not been kind to the Independent Colonial Militia - not that they had ever intended to be. Skirmishes and potshots were taken at Jupiter, and allied corporations found themselves tightly squeezed under the new Shipping Security Administration. But - this was all part of the Grand Marshal's plan… And every crew member on every ship knew it. The Kvasir herself was a product of her time, a weapon of war teeming with digital sensors and feelers. The ship was new, a converted light freighter stripped of purpose and now outfitted with arrays the size of football fields. Her antennas wobbled slightly as the onboard magnetorquers adjusted her position. Streams of data, both legitimate and stolen, flowed into the computers onboard. She was a succubus, in every sense of the word, a monstrous AI-augmented hulk of her former self, designed solely to listen carefully to the rest of the universe. A soft tone resonated through the cramped bridge. Tega, the bridge comms officer, slipped his neural interface link over his ear.

"Commander, downlink from Titan… Low frequency. Reporting that the start of our operation at Ceres was successful, we are ready to begin Phase II." Commander Penrose rose from his stupor, as if a button had been pressed somewhere in his mind.

"Good. They are too busy dealing with the fallout of this…They were fools indeed to not predict a strike on another commercial vessel. Any word on when we can begin our special operation, Mako?" The commander turned towards the rear of the bridge, and his technology officer. Mako was more machine than human, a living example of the ICM's philosophy of human augmentation. Their skull had been modified, and a large port was secured to the base of their spine. Long, thick cables plugged them directly into the flight computer - a living breathing calculating machine.

"Commander - we are ready to begin. The files necessary are within my Cognitive Computer. Would you like to address the other vessels in the region?" The commander smiled, his silent admiration and attraction to Mako threatening to slip through in front of the rest of the crew. He could not help but remember their activity the night prior.

"No, Mako. We can begin whenever you are ready. What are the initial targets?" Mako's eyes rolled back in their skull, and the computer clicked and whirred. Commander Penrose watched in perverse admiration.

"We will transmit a wide ranging DDOS attack to Ceres' primary communications satellites, disabling them in the first wave, and ultimately securing them under our control. Within this DDOS attack, we have implanted a Trojan that will severely cripple the infrastructure on the surface. Randomly selected systems will be prone to failing, and ships will not be able to depart. If we are successful, then the 18 ships currently in port will potentially be exposed to the Trojan, and could spread our attack to further PSSA facilities if not contained. From initialization on your command, the attack will be felt in full force on Ceres in 49 minutes. The likelihood of spread, however, is low - my estimations put it at less than 20% chance of flight computer infection. Civilian casualties, however, will be high. Numbers greater than 1,000 are predicted. This margin can be adjusted in real time, based on authorization from Titan. As Marshal Feng wanted, we will keep this to a minimum - if possible. Is this… Satisfactory, Commander?"

The word satisfactory felt pleasant, and he nodded. The bombing at Ceres was never the true act of war, rather, it was the warning shot. Brute force had been the scare tactic of old, now… Now it was something altogether different. Slithering intelligence, working its way into the plush way of life of the PSSA. They lived their lives free from the harsh conditions of the outer solar system, free from famine and resource scarcity. Marshal Feng knew that all too well - it had been under his leadership that the ICM had even bounced back from the Schism nearly 30 years ago. The fall of the Outer Colonial Government had left Saturn in a strange position - never before had a planetary system been free to decide its own path. It had not been easy, nor every tactic ethical - but the time had come. A true power had been born, one that rivaled the might of the long ignorant and stagnant PSSA. And it was time they learned their place.

"Mako - Begin the strike. Then let us watch as their world burns."

"Yes, Commander Penrose." With a roll backwards, Mako's irises vanished, and the computer began to click and whir - Kvasir herself spitting poison into the digisphere.

– – – – – – – – – –

Shackleton One - Governance Plaza
February 27, 2234
7 Hours, 51 minutes post detonation

The round hallways carried sound too well, as a group of officials skipped in the lunar gravity through the wide double doors. The passageways of Governance Plaza were nearly empty now, save for the occasional nervous aide. Crews had been working around the clock, darting in and out of passageways, between consulate offices and war rooms, desperate to get an answer as to why Ceres had found itself so vulnerable. None of them knew what the General knew. Not yet. Lunar night was coming, and through the sweeping windows, the lights at the edge of the city were beginning to illuminate. General Jung had no time to admire the beauty of human creation, no, as far as he cared there was nothing beautiful nor sacred in this world. He could only think of his daughter, the brave adventurer, as she hopped from asteroid to asteroid - desperate to learn more about life beyond the Home system. She would have arrived at Ceres about two days ago. The group's retinas, scanned from the vaulted ceilings by ever inquisitive eyes, granted them access to one of the most secure facilities on the moon - The Vault. The Vault was modeled after the 21st Century White House on Earth - a relic of posterity and pompous circumstances. CEO Teller sat, reviewing documents at the head of the long table - the presence of General Jung startled him.

"General Jung… What's the matter? Won't you have a seat?" CEO Teller forced the pleasantries out of his lungs, rubbing tired eyes. He had been awake far too long. The General remained standing, his spine rigid.

"I'm afraid there's been an incident." He stammered, wringing his hands together. The CEO looked up, eyes widening. "There's been a cyber attack launched against Ceres. As a whole. The bombing was simply a distraction, meant to mislead us. Our… Our Intelligence Vessel Lone Scythe picked up a high data rate transmission from some point near Jovian space. We were too late, rather, too distracted to intercept it. We believe it originated from an ICM vessel. I'm sorry, Mister CEO - you have my immediate resignation."

CEO Teller stood slowly, steadying himself in the lower gravity. His body felt out of place here, robbed of the familiarity of 1g. His evacuation from a family vacation in the South Pacific had not given him time to acclimate in the face of the bombing, and the drugs only made him drowsy. "Damn the resignation… Do we have contact with Ceres? Casualty estimates? Anything?"

The General dabbed at this brow, before pulling a tablet from his jacket. "Limited, sir. We are assessing how safe it is to evacuate casualties, and whether or not we can risk ships leaving the spaceport. We-" He hesitated, putting duty first. The thought of his daughter flickered into his brain. "We do not know if they have infiltrated the ships already docked to the station." CEO Teller clumsily made his way to the window, following the line of the terminator as it crept across the surface. The city was already twinkling in the nascent lunar night, like stars pulled from the heavens.

"Are we in a position to send assistance? Transports, cruisers, anything?" No longer was concern the dominant emotion. Anger, a deep crimson rage brewed on the CEO's face - consuming him. The General shook his head, removing his augmented reality glasses. Deep lines of worry cut deep into his sunken cheeks.

"I… I am afraid to say we cannot sir. Not until we have established what it is and… Contained it. It's malware, any ship we plug into Ceres will carry this virus with it, spreading and propagating it further. I am… I am so sorry. I will let you know when we have more information. Burnside, give the CEO what we have." The General's aide cast his tablet onto the larger screen, and it became apparent the condition that Ceres was in. Jung had understated it all - this was no mere incident. It was an act of war, a violation of the peace that had stood between the Solar System and unbridled chaos. It was… Barbaric.

"So… We cannot evacuate the wounded? Not without risking every other aspect of our infrastructure? Do you know how weak this makes us look?" The word weak was stressed, a cracking reminder of Teller's fragile grasp on the situation. His bloodshot eyes searched General Jung's face for an answer. Neither man had the faintest clue.

"I am sorry, Sir. We must sit and wait."

"God damn."

Oughe....lots of very good imagery here. The attack on Ceres is haunting to read through - you really capture the sort of jovial banter you hear on traffic control nets, which makes it so much more gut-wrenching when things go wrong. Our first glimpse into the ICM is equally unsettling; the characters we meet are so distinctly alien, in a way that suggests a long history of isolation.

For all the gravity of the last passage, I do appreciate the image of harrowed and exhausted government officials stumbling around in 1/6 g. I actually think it helps characterize them as being out of their element with respect to the attack on Ceres. Certainly eventful times are coming....

Part 1, Story 3: Shut Up and Dance
Part 1, Story 3: Shut Up and Dance

Amsterdam - European Union Trade Zone - Earth

May 1, 2237, 16:43 Local Time
CEO's Private Residence

"A vote of no confidence, this is mutiny!" CEO Teller's face grew red, hiding the deep purples of exhaustion that sat within his sunken face, "Our very way of existence is under threat, and those who are opposed to my policy wish to dismantle this new age of security, and are just lining up to cast their ballot!" His aides struggled to keep up, scurrying around him like ants. There was a palpable tension now, a deep and crippling rage oozing from the CEO. "If those bastards in the Expansionist Coalition think that they can disrupt the status quo of our party, then they have clearly lost all vision of this system of government! The people will choose the right path, but I'll be damned before I am humiliated on the council floor like this!" The tone in the residence was grim, disturbed only by the lapping of waves and rumble of thunder. Amsterdam remained hunkered down, preparing once again for a squall that threatened to topple the mighty seawalls - they always threatened to. Humanity's homeworld, once a stable cradle, was still recovering from the upheaval of the mid 21st Century. She was scarred, a changed planet marked by the creep of the oceans, pockmarked with the defensive mechanisms constructed during the Climate Collapse. But she was still there, a blue marble hanging in a sunbeam, the glimmering yet turbulent homeworld of humanity - the starting line of the cosmic age. Teller sat quietly in his 1960s armchair, his head tipped downwards towards his lap. The mid century modern piece was a relic of an even older time - just before humankind left their cradle and grasped at the stars, like an infant grabbing at a toy out of reach. His discomfort flickered across his face, something writhing and stirring within his brain. It was… off. Something about the home was too silent, not like the constant droning of the Moon. There was no ever present hum here, no constant whir of motors and fan blades driving the flow of oxygen. Just the lapping of the waves and rumble of thunder, and the solidity of 1g.

"Mr. CEO, we think it best to issue a statement, get ahead of the press before the news spreads far." The CEO grimaced, like a needle had been plunged in his side.

"Right - and say what exactly? We failed Ceres, that much is clear. We've also not had a direct engagement with the ICM in two weeks. No decisive victory I can point to, no strategic advantage. We're right back where we started… an unpopular stalemate." General Jung straightened his epaulets, motioning to the army of aides to dim the lights.

"Mr. CEO, a word if you will?" The CEO nodded dejectedly, as a display of the PSSA Navy filled the room. Great red and blue swathes ebbed and flowed through gravity wells, displaying rumored and actual positions within the Solar System - a complete picture of power projection. "Sir, we believe we are close to a decisive strike on the ship that launched the cyber attack on Ceres. If we act fast, we may be able to launch with the three Lancer Class Cutter-Destroyers we have in the area - PSSA Plymouth Rock, PSSA Queen Elizabeth and PSSA Sun Tzu. I do believe a strike of this scale, disabling their ELINT ship at the source, would be a strategic win for the Heartland Collective. We must display that we are in control, and a maneuver like this is our best bet."

"Tell me more, Jung." The General tapped at his displays.

"We believe we have ID'd a ship on the border between ICM and PSSA space - it's emitting a wide range of frequencies, characteristic of an ELINT vessel. It's been reported as the Kvasir, she left Titan about 8 months ago, which puts us in the time frame of the attack on Ceres."

"Are they armed?"

"Intelligence reports supply pods with them but no escorts, they left with a group of two Behemoths but they've long since fallen back."

"They're alone…"

"Yes, a prime target for our campaign. We are faster, have more firepower ready and can be operational for action within 4 days. Local intercept in 50, engagement not long after. My advisors, and Logistics Computer, believe we are capable of winning. "

"General, you mean to say that there is a shot at redemption?" The General shifted uncomfortably.

"There is a chance, Mr. CEO, I cannot promise that our reports are accurate. I am willing to stake my career on this, if it means the same." The CEO rose from his desk, and Jung tried his best to not look him in the eyes. The decay of the Heartland Collective had taken its toll on the man; seven cabinet positions remained locked within the process of re-appointment. Teller's wife, a prominent figure on his campaign trail across the Solar System, kept the doors locked across the house. No one had seen her in months.

"Make it happen, I give you full weapons free authorization. Please, Harold, let us win this - for the Party's sake." General Jung nodded, and with a curt bow, left the room. Showtime.

Deep Space - PSSA Intelligence Trawler Osiris
July 16, 2237, 18:41 Luna Standard Time

TRANSMISSION STABLE
DOWNLINK IDENT: 778-29-90
VESSEL ID: 388-32-29 SUN TZU:
MESSAGE: Q. ELIZABETH DESTROYED, PLYM ROCK DAMAGED. ALL HANDS LOST. MINEFIELD. RTB-ADVISE.
RESPONSE REQUEST: UNKNOWN
SHIP STATUS: UNKNOWN
REPLY: [Y/N]?

Shackleton One - Governance Plaza Botanical Gardens
August 10, 2237, 10:00 Luna Standard Time

"Ladies and gentlemen… Thank you. That is all that I can bring myself to say. The people of the Pan Solar System Alliance, proud and noble… Civilized people have yearned for a government that can bring itself back from the brink. That government is now here. No longer will we back away from challenges defined by logistics or lack of political will. This is a government of action, decisive and deliverable action. As you all know, we have been struck, a blow at our side that threatens to destabilize us from the years of peace that we have so comfortably lived within - a plush and indulgent luxury that those in power took for granted. Now, that time is over. It is time to act. Within my first few days in office, I will ensure that our homeworld is defended, that we are secure in all ports, and I will assemble the largest outbound fleet in Alliance history, ensuring that the Jovian system is secure from any and all interlopers who dare step foot within the confines of our sovereign homeworld. We, as a people, will no longer look weak in the eyes of the enemy…I want to thank you all, every citizen in every world in this beautiful and proud Alliance, who is watching this with hopefully some comfort, that we will win this fight against our democracy."

CEO Valeriy Kursk spoke with sparks on his tongue, a flickering passion that licked its way into the minds of his constituents. His once coal black hair was sprinkled with wisps of gray, smokelike patterns carving their way into him. He was pure flame, the most dangerous thing in space. Teller watched as the crowd lunged after his gesticulations, perfectly in control. Like Teller had been, before the rumors of ICM activity became reality. Kursk had won in a landslide, with the vote of no confidence dissolving the hold over the Heartland Collective's already shaky standing - an election described as "over before it could even begin." And here the leviathan rose, a new figure with a bold new mission, a course that those within his nascent cabinet would lead to a standoff. His voice continued to flicker, burning bright and warm in the gentle blues of the biosphere dome. With both of his hands raised like a priest, the crowd would take to their feet - their standing ovation fanning the flames within him.

"I don't like this," quipped Jung, the dismissed general ever so loyal at Teller's side, "it feels like a declaration of war." The former CEO dabbed at his forehead lightly, finding himself sweating under the stage lights.

"It is, Jung. But we must smile and accept what's good for us now." The general sighed, a feeling of dejection slipping across his face. The former CEO placed a hand on his shoulder, a comforting and uniquely human action. "The mines were hidden in debris, it wasn't your fault that they got too close."

"A better general is better prepared, Mr. CEO." Teller chuckled, and couldn't help but agree silently. Of course, these words would never leave his lips.

"I am confident that we did all we could, Harold. You and your men work hard every day to keep these people safe at night."

"We should have done more."

"What else could we have done? What ships or troops or anything could we have sent to end this war before it begins? We have lost. And now there's a man at the front with an army behind him, and a forgettable administration in his wake." The two men were silent, swallowed by the roar of applause. Kursk stood before them, magnificent and terrifying in his own image. Teller stood with his hand outstretched, a carefully coordinated photo op to signify a peaceful transition of power. Kursk would shake his hand before pulling him into an embrace, only amplifying the electric crowd. The new CEO's words, delivered in shrill whisper, would chill him to his core.

"Your work will be finished, Teller. Do not think that I am as incapable as you were. There is too much at stake…" Teller found himself gasping for breath, as if the pressure in the half mile dome had suddenly vanished. Like a serpent, Kursk slipped into the crowd, swallowed by a maw of applause and decadence. Jung would guide him down the stairs, away from the lights and sounds - truly a fragile man alone in a cold world.

Deep Space - PSSA Control
August 21, 2237, 04:00 Luna Standard Time
Arlington Class Command Ship
Alan Turing

The spiral out of the Earth-Moon system had been a wakeup call to most onboard the six ships of Phoenix Company, the newly formed naval division headed for Jovian space. The thrust of their great engines caused each ship to shudder and groan as they slipped free of their homeworld's gravity, the wispy blues and greens of Earth growing smaller every hour. Their mission was clear, a show of power the likes of which had never been seen beyond the Asteroid Belt. The Turing was not built for combat, not explicitly - she still maintained her denial cannons, torpedo tubes and turrets, a standard point defense affair. Her purpose, however, was far more crucial. She was to act as the central nervous system of the group, her officers assisted by a complex neural network - the Isaac-10 Artificial Intelligence platform. Deep within the bowels of the ship, the computer ticked and whirred as it plotted every move, digital eyes and ears listening for any activity - friend or foe. The five other ships, 3 newly refitted Lancer Class Destroyers and two brand new Sabre Prime Battleships, hung somewhere off of the aft scanning deck, their torch drives burning bright against the inky void of space. The power within their fusion reactors was enough to meet Earth's needs in the mid 20th Century, a testament to the raw power contained within their maws. The flight deck of the Turing was quiet, her officers quietly checking and rechecking systems. There was not much to do but wait, and watch as the flight computer ever so precisely adjusted the magnetic coiling of the engines to deliver them to a precise target. A disembodied voice spoke from nowhere in particular, disrupting the monotony.

"Commander - we are on course for a Jupiter intercept in 68 days, 12 hours and 51 minutes. Accuracy is within 0.0003% of expected trajectory margin for all ships in the battlegroup. My counterparts onboard the other vessels are correcting for any final perturbations encountered during thrust. Coast phase will be initiated on your command." Commander Armisen looked up from her chair, rubbing tired eyes. It was supposed to be a Lunar patrol, a series of mundane swing-bys of the Moon that would do nothing more but promote her… and now. Whatever this was.

"Thank you, Isaac. Let the other ships know that we are GO for coast."

"As you wish, Commander. I shall relay a message to the fleet." Isaac's digital neurons would fire as the engines prepared to shut themselves down, a careful choreography of radiation and electrodynamics. Isaac would keep watch, all seeing attentive eyes checking, rechecking and triple checking the thousands of subsystems. The commander softly tapped her ear, opening a tight beam channel to the rest of the battle group.

"This is Anicca Armisen of the Turing, we are GO for coast - shut down and configure for unpowered flight, we've got a ways to go now." A cacophony of agreements filled her ears, and the ships would fall silent - unsecured items floating their way to the front of bulkheads, a new and disorientating reality. The commander remained in her seat, staring ahead to the void in front of her. Warfighting, while explicitly within her job description, had never been something she truly prepared for. She'd been deployed to Mars to survey only a handful of the military installations and in space facilities, spending two years on the Iron Plains before shipping back to a promotion. It was routine - something that this mission wasn't, a fact that sat heavily on Armisen's mind. Defending distant ports was the job of the Coast Guard, not a battalion that did not exist just weeks prior. There was no expectation of conflict, but an unspoken urging to "do what was necessary" - a phrase that bore its own consequences. That nagging thought, the one that existed in every spacefarer's mind however, was overpowering.

"Isaac. I want to run a hypothetical by you." The computer clicked.

"As you wish Commander."

"Suppose we encounter them… In Jovian space. What are our odds of survival… and our odds of victory?" The computer was silent, fixated on a task.

"Clarify."

"Say we encounter a group of Behemoths, or one of those Frigate Birds… are we gonna come out on top? We surely have the firepower." Isaac's unblinking eyes studied her face, every fold and crease of skin feeding data into his neural mainframe. She was scared. And a scared leader made for a weak leader.

"I'm sorry Commander Armisen. I am afraid I do not have the knowledge base to calculate an answer. Variables present do not represent an accurate battle scenario. Can I help you with anything else?" The commander was silent, gripping the armrest in a panic she did not know had overtaken her.

"No, Isaac… Actually. Wipe the logs of our conversation. Override code 6-6-9-Tango-Yankee."

"As you wish, Commander."

I'm loving the storytelling in each of the segments of this chapter. The very abrupt line of causality from a poorly-calculated plan, an unqualified disaster, and the subsequent transition of power really helps to create a sense of swift and violent changes within the PSSA. We're in uncharted territory, and I'm really feeling the story beginning to slide into motion.

In more detail, I really liked the flame imagery for Kursk, especially the line "the most dangerous thing in space." Isaac-10 and Commander Armisen are an intriguing set of characters even in the short time we get to know them, and I'm hopeful we might get to learn more about their dynamic in the future...

Back