HomeWard (Homestuck X Worm)

Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

The day before the bank robbery, meteorites began falling from portals in the sky. It doesn't take long for the world to declare this entity a fourth Endbringer. With the bank job a bust due to the truce, the Undersiders decide to take the day to play a computer game instead. Of course, the game, the meteors, and the players themselves are all far more related than they had ever expected.

A Homestuck/Worm fusion, in which many young Parahumans of Brockton Bay find themselves dealing with Sburb and the end of the world.
Act 1 = = > Be Taylor Hebert

Act 1 = = > Be Taylor Hebert

It took a while for me to fall asleep last night. The day's events just kept on playing in my head. Talking to the Undersiders again, hanging out and watching movies and just having a good time with some people my age… but before we hung out, we planned to rob the largest bank in the city on behalf of a mysterious employer.

We discussed the best way to take down any heroes who might show up to try and stop us, and then an hour later we were making fun of Star Wars and eating pizza.

The worst part was that the fun stuff almost overshadowed the bad in my mind. Am I really that pathetic? Has it been so long that I had real friends that I'd be willing to commit felonies just to keep hanging out with a group of… genuinely funny, smart, cool people? Part of me was dreading making the phone call to Armsmaster I had planned tomorrow. Should I just stay a villain?

The thought was keeping me up. That and all the caffeine I had over the day.

I rolled over in my bed and stared at the clock, sighing. I watched as 11:59pm 4/12 slowly ticked over to 12:00am 4/13.

And then I flinched as a sound rang out through the night.

A howling, horrible sound. I've only heard it during drills, and there was no drill planned in the middle of the night. The Endbringer Siren.

I desperately started kicking off the covers, scrambling out of bed, and nearly fell on my face as I stepped away. I rushed to grab my glasses, and force on some socks at the very least, before I pushed open the door, "Dad!" I called out.

"Honey!" he shouted from downstairs.

I ran down the short hallway to the stairs, almost fell down them in my hurry to reach the bottom, and then skidded to a stop next to Dad, who was standing in front of the television, wide-eyed. "What's going on?" I asked, "Is it here? Should we be heading to the shelter? Which one is it?"

It wasn't the right time of year for this to be happening. Wasn't the Simurgh's last attack only two months ago? It was too early!

He shook his head, but didn't tear his eyes from the set. I walked over to join him, and then went wide-eyed at the sight. It was a crater in the ground. And then the television cut to an image of a different crater, and then another one. My eyes dropped to the information running on the bottom of the screen. It was listing cities and countries, I realized. More and more images of craters started being shown on the screen.

This was happening all over the world.

I moved closer, and turned up the volume.

"-until last night, the source of these meteorites wasn't seen as paranormal, but with the increasing rate of impacts, the Triumvirate have come forward with images identifying the source of the meteors as some form of power. Likely, a fourth Endbringer, and have tentatively given this phenomena the name Delos."

The screen switched, then, to an image of some kind of design in the night sky. A huge, glowing green circle, filled with curved lines creating the impression of a star in the middle. And out of that star shape came a flying light. A comet, or, I guess, a meteorite.

"Delos events have been occurring since as early as April tenth, but have increased in size and numbers as time has passed. So far, less than a hundred people have died in Delos events, but as they are projected to happen at a higher rate, that number may reach a thousand by this evening, and even greater numbers as time passes. The Protectorate has stated that due to the worldwide nature of the threat, and the relative lack of collateral damage from individual strikes, that gathering within Endbringer Shelters may simply provide Delos with larger targets."

I moved to sit back on the sofa, and stared at the screen in horror.

I found that I couldn't focus on the words any longer, simply taking in the image of one crater after another, across the planet.

Dad sat down next to me, and put an arm around my shoulder. There was an expression I couldn't place on his face.

The sirens didn't go on all night. And once the sirens stopped, we got automated calls from the city, essentially telling us what the TV did. That the shelters were going to remain closed. That the Protectorate and the government were working hard to deal with the problem. Like for any Endbringer, calls went out to all Parahumans who believed they could have anything to contribute to the issue, whether they were a hero, a rogue, or even a villain. And that everyone else should simply try to remain in their homes, and wait it out.

I was tempted to report for duty, although I didn't see what use a bug controller could have against… lights in space, spawning giant rocks down onto the world below.

By the time morning arrived, the fear mostly burnt itself out.

The entire world was under attack, but Brockton Bay wasn't. Not right at the moment. Which meant that life had to go on. Winslow put out a call saying classes were canceled until the state of emergency was over, so at least I didn't have to pretend to go for Dad's sake. His work called in too, telling him to stay home.

The thoughts of getting into contact with Armsmaster to tell him about my 'infiltrating' the Undersiders fell away completely. He had bigger things to worry about.

I got a text from Lisa around breakfast, which thankfully Dad didn't notice, considering that as far as he knew, this was a cellphone-free household. I made an excuse of going to the bathroom, and flipped open my phone, and started reading the message.

Lisa Wilbourn started messaging you.

LW: Our planned visit to the Bank on Thursday is canceled, obviously.

I let out a sigh of relief, but at the same time, I feel a little disappointed. We worked hard on that plan for the heist. It feels like almost a waste to give up on it, even though I'm happy to avoid outright villainy for at least a little while longer.

LW: Just wanted to let you know.

TH: Is it because of the Endbringer?

LW: There's a kind of truce between Capes during an Endbringer attack. And for a while after it.

LW: To encourage Villain participation in the battles, and also to encourage the Heroes to focus their full energy on the Endbringer itself.

LW: Any Villain who tries something during an attack or the days after it gets hit by the book hard.

TH: That makes sense, I guess.

LW: How are you doing? Is your Dad staying home?

TH: Yeah we're both stuck at home.

LW: Good.

LW: Would it be alright if I stopped by?

TH: He might find it suspicious.

TH: People aren't really supposed to be out and about right now.

LW: Just need to take my mind off of everything. I thought we could play a game or something to try and relax.

TH: A game?

LW: A computer game. It connects to the internet, so we'd be able to play together, even if we're all apart. You have a computer at home, right?

TH: Yes, I do.

LW: I was thinking I could stop by and drop you off a copy. I'm doing a food run for the Loft, too, considering we might all be stuck at home for a while. Is there anything I could bring you?

TH: I think we're fine on food.

TH: But thanks, I appreciate the thought.

TH: Now that I'm thinking about it, a computer game with my friends sounds pretty good right about now.

LW: I thought so. I'll be by in a bit.

lisaWilbourn is offline.

I closed my phone with a sigh, and stepped out of the bathroom, stopping briefly in my room to start up my old home computer. It made some noises of complaint as it turned on, but it was running fine. I hoped that it would be something that was still compatible with it.

Heading downstairs, I saw my Dad still glued to the television, the same strange expression on his face as last night. It wasn't just worry or fear. There was something else to it. Confusion? I guess this was significantly different from any of the previous Endbringer attacks. I wondered sometimes who had it worse, his generation, who grew up in a world for the most part without Endbringers and got hit by them with surprise, or my generation, who had more-or-less grown up with them simply being an awful fact of life.

"Hey Dad?"

"Yeah, Taylor?"

"My friend Lisa- the one I told you about? Who I was hanging out with yesterday? She's going to drop by quick."

"That's not exactly safe, sweetheart," he said, looking pained.

"She said she was already on the road, trying to stock up on food. She just wanted to stop by while she had the chance and drop off like, a care package?"

"A care package?"

"All of us- me and her and her friends, our friends, -we're going to be stuck where we are until the Endbringer attack stops. So she thought we could play a computer game together in the meantime? That way we could still be hanging out, even if we can't leave our houses until the Endbringer attack is over."

He smiled, "Well, that's thoughtful of her."

It wouldn't be too long before she arrived, it was kind of strange seeing hers being the only car to rumble down the street. I went to the door, and pushed it open, only to get caught in a hug the moment the door wasn't in the way. "Lisa?" I asked.

She didn't answer, simply squeezing her arms harder around me.

"Lisa," I said, again, "My, uh, Dad's watching."

"Huh? Right. Right. Sorry," she pulled back, and I realized now that her makeup was running. She had been crying.

"Do you want to come in?"

"No- no, I just… I just came by from Brian's. He's doing fine, but he's got his sister with him, and they're just… worried. Everyone's worried."

She reached into her bag, and took out two packages marked with the symbol of a house, and the words "BETA" written below it.

"Two of them?" I asked.

"Oh, um, one's the server disc, and the other's the client disc," she said, wiping at her eyes, "Brian has his, but he probably won't be online until a bit later today. Alec's already got his, and should probably be ready to go as soon as anyone texts him. I'm going to stop by Rachel's house to drop off her copy before I head home myself."

I turn it over in my hand, "S-B-U-R-B?" I ask, "I never heard of it."

"I think it's meant to be pronounced Suburb? We'll be playing the Beta. Alec's been pretty excited about it, so I decided to nab some while I could." She sniffled again, and then looked up behind me, and froze a bit, "Uh, hi, Mister Hebert. Nice to see you."

"Nice to see you too. Are you sure you want to leave so fast? We could… put on tea, or something." My Dad walked behind me and put a hand on my shoulder.

"It's nice of you to offer, but I still need to see Rachel before I head home." She gave me a nod, and then turned back towards her car, "Talk to you soon?"

"Sure."

She got inside, and drove away, leaving me holding the two discs.

I closed the door, and turned around, only to see a small grin on my Dad's face, "She seems like a good friend," he said, patting me on the shoulder one more time before heading towards the kitchen.

I shrugged, and then headed back towards my room.

I guess I should see what this whole thing is about, and text Alec.

Last edited:
Taylor: Text Alec

= = > Taylor: Text Alec

I set both packages on my desk next to my computer, and then turned back to double-check that my door was indeed closed. With Dad out of sight, I fished out my phone from my pocket and opened it up, going through the contacts there.

I didn't really know Alec or Rachel that well yet, most of my contact with the Undersiders either being through Brian or Lisa. Brian and Lisa were genuinely friendly, and I think I really could consider them friends, villains or not. But Alec didn't seem to care much about me one way or the other, and Rachel was still… well, my introduction to her hadn't left the best first impression on either of us. At least she seemed to be tolerating me after the planning session. Alec warmed up a bit over the movie marathon yesterday too.

Regardless, I wasn't really sure what to expect when I texted Alec.

You started messaging Alec Smith.

TH: Hi Alec.

AS: Yooooooo

AS: Are we finally getting this show on the road? Thank god

AS: At first I was on the edge of my seat but the longer I've been waiting here staring at this screen waiting for someone else to get around to joining in the more I realized that this was a game that Tats suggested

AS: Which means that this is either going to be super boring, an attempt to manipulate us into some kind of nonsense groupbuilding kumbaya thing, or something that she can cheat the hell out of with her psychic bullshit so she can feel superior to the rest of us

AS: Actually nevermind, if she's going to be cheating, that'll be hilarious

AS: So do you have the client installed already, or what?

AS: Taylor?

AS: Are you dead?

AS: Did the meteors get you already?

TH: I'm confused.

AS: Hi Confused, can you go get Taylor back so we can start this game already?

TH: Lisa told me that you were the one who was interested in the game?

TH: That she got it for you.

AS: That's hilarious

AS: Is she shy?

AS: Too shy to tell you that she bought a video game for herself?

AS: What video games officer? I've never heard of a videos game. Oh THAT video game. No, that's not mine. I'm just holding it for a friend. I'd never buy one myself, let alone force our entire team to play it out of nowhere during the middle of a national emergency

AS: Yeah, this whole thing was Tats idea

AS: So are we gonna play or what? She broke into my room at like dawn and forced the server disc into my hands and told me to be ready to go on the drop of a hat and get you started right-fucking-away

TH: Huh.

TH: Yeah we're still going to play, I just thought that it was strange.

TH: The client disc you said?

AS: That's the one slide it on in there

AS: And turn the sound up the intro music sounds pretty cool actually

I find that Alec is a bit more talkative over text than he is in person. But oh well. Lisa went out of her way to get this game to me, so I might as well see what it's about.

When was the last time I played a computer game, even? With Emma?

It's been a long time. I hope I'm not rusty.

I take out the disc from the page labeled Client, and slide it into the machine. The computer whirrs noisily for a bit, and then a black screen appears.

SBURB version 0.0.1

© BUCKET SYSTEMS INCORPORATED. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

SBURB client is running.

Waiting for server to establish connection…

After a moment, I saw it change.

A SBURB host user is attempting to connect with you.

Client has established connection with host.

Press [ENTER] when ready.

Without thinking too much of it, I hit the enter key. As the screen turned white, I remembered what Alec said, and turned up the volume a bit.

[S]= = > Taylor: Press Enter

The symbol appeared, and my breath caught. I recognized it instantly- or at least I thought I did. The fourth Endbringer. The thing dropping meteorites on people all over the world. But a moment later, the symbol changed, and I let out a breath of relief. This game must have been in production for a while, right? And this new Endbringer- Delos, or whatever they were going to call it, -people only knew about it for a day, maybe two, at most.

The symbol had to be a coincidence. The concept of an Angel existed before the Simurgh appeared. That didn't make any design that happened to have wings part of a Simurgh Plot.

I focused on watching the psychedelic and colorful animation and enjoying the music that played along with it. But as the nonsensical messages below the ever-shifting mandala blew past, I found myself feeling nervous. What kind of game was this going to be?

The title appeared on the screen, and then the screen went black again, as the game exited itself out, leaving me with a blank screen. I tried clicking around the corners, but the only real option the game was giving me was to exit out. I frowned, considering texting Alec again to see if there was something wrong on his end too, but as I turned my head, I noticed that my bed was floating.

"Shit!" I cursed, scrambling back and out of the chair, and reaching unconsciously for my bugs. My open window lets my swarm enter in and surround me in a protective cloud of flies, bees, wasps, dragonflies, and whatever else with wings happened to be nearby. Of course, those were just the ones that could be here in a moment's notice. Further away, I had spiders allow other fliers to pick them up and carry them with them, making a beeline for my house. From the darkest corners of my room, cockroaches began to appear, swarming around under the now-floating bed trying to find whatever invisible parahuman was lifting it up. Worryingly, they couldn't find any guilty parties. Flies darted forwards, filling the space all around the bed, but they couldn't sense anything either. Not even a disturbance in the air. The bed was just floating all on its own.

Of course, as soon as I thought that, the bed suddenly dropped, eliciting a loud thud.

"Taylor!?" Dad called from downstairs.

Shit!

I darted for the door, ordering my swarm to stay behind in my bedroom to keep watch, and closed it behind me. We needed to get out of here.

"Dad! There's something wrong! I think we're under attack!"

"Under attack?" he asked, confused. I rushed past him, grabbing his arms as I went, only to be stopped in my tracks as he doesn't follow, "Taylor what's going on?"

"I don't know but…" I trail off as I see the table lift up and set itself firmly between us and the doorway.

"Taylor?" Dad asked, his voice suddenly fearful.

"Window," I said, dragging at his arm again. And this time, luckily, he follows. We dart across the living room, heading for one of the windows, only to halt as the wall warps in front of us, stretching out and taking the window farther away from us. My eyes glance downward, and I realize that the floor isn't stretched. The carpet's not damaged- there's just more of it. The pain on the walls hasn't been stretched either. The new section to our house is just as old and made of the same material as everything else around it.

But we saw it being created in front of us.

In my room, heard by my swarm, I could sense the cellphone vibrating. I chose to ignore it. I had bigger problems. Outside, bugs began to search the surrounding area. Whoever was doing this, they were likely close. Watching our house through the windows, maybe? I order bugs to start climbing up the windows, to block as much of their view as possible.

"Taylor, I want you to keep behind me," Dad says slowly, his eyes darting from place to place. His eyes were lingering on the windows, revulsion starting to color his features as he took note of the bugs, "I don't think the windows are safe either. Let's… let's try to get the back yard."

"Right."

I let him lead the way this time, but as we pass through the kitchen, the table is suddenly yanked in our way. I look around, but there shouldn't be any way of seeing where we are right now from outside. Is whoever is doing this listening in? Am I wearing a wiretap or something?

Above us, the ceiling stretches. Through the little window on our back door, I can see that something has shaded the yard. I hear three loud thumps from upstairs. Through my swarm, I detect that like the downstairs window, my room just grew a lot bigger, and somehow, three big, blocky, objects have appeared.

"That was my room," I say, "I think… it wants us to go there."

"It?"

"Whatever Parahuman is messing with us."

Dad's eyes widen even further, "But- why? Why would a villain care about us?"

Probably my fault.

But I didn't have time to explain. I drop his arm, and start heading for the stairwell, glad when nothing suddenly drops in front of me to block my way. My swarm tells me there's no other movement at least. I swing open my door, and then watch as my phone, still vibrating, lifts up into the air and hovers towards me.

I sense Dad following me, but he pulls up short when he sees the swarm of insects, and the floating device coming towards me.

Without saying a word, Dad steps past me, and grabs the phone. His face is furious, and he snaps it open, hitting answer, "What the fuck do you think you're doing!?" he growls into it, the rancor in his voice making me flinch, "Fucking with my family's house, messing with my daughter-"

"Dad," I say.

"Game? What game!? What- No I'm not going to put Taylor on the line, tell me-"

I grab the phone from him, and hear Alec's voice on the other end, "-old man. Oh, thank fuck. Taylor, when your phone rings, you should answer it. Just, you know, helpful advice."

"I'm kind of dealing with something, Alec."

"Alec?" Dad asked, surprised, "One of your friends?"

"I'm the thing you're dealing with. Taylor, you're not gonna believe this. But right now, turn your head to the left." I look at my window, "No, the other left."

I sigh, and look to my right, at the bizarre pieces of tinkertech that now dominate my now much, much larger room. "Alec," I begin, "Please tell me this is you."

"Yep."

"How? You're not really a-" I almost say telekinetic, but my Dad is right here. Shit, I'm going to have to tell him everything, aren't I? Even if this most recent craziness I have no clue about.

"It's Sburb," he says, and I can hear the smile in his voice, "This is crazy, I can see your entire house from here. It's like the Sims, except you're the Sim."

"Look, just stop destroying things. Tell me what's going on."

"I have no clue."

God damn it, he still sounds so happy.

"Taylor," Dad says, sounding insistent, "What's going on?" he repeats, looking nervously at my swarm, and at the bizarre machines that filled my room.

"Alec, my friend, is the one doing stuff to the house," I say, "The games, they're tinkertech or something."

"The games? The games Lisa brought?" he asked, anger beginning to blossom again and turn his face pink, "Why!?"

"I don't know! Neither does Alec. We're figuring this out."

"Is he doing the bugs, too?"

I flinch, and then look at the swarm.

He'll need an explanation.

I sigh, and reach out my hand. The swarm obeys, approaching my arm and beginning to fly in complex formation. Since it was still on my mind, I have it start mimicking the shifting mandala I saw in the game's loading screen, "The bugs are… my thing. Dad, I'm a parahuman. It started after the locker. I didn't know what was happening, so I brought them in to try and find… I don't know. An invisible attacker. But there isn't one. It's just whatever SBURB is."

He stares at me for a few seconds, before covering his face with his hands and breathing out in a long sigh, "I… Okay."

"Okay?"

"Okay. Is… Is Alec going to keep destroying the house? Our house? Annette's house?" he asked, his voice just a little desperate.

I glare down at the phone, "He's not going to mess with the house any more, right, Alec?"

I hear a crash from the bathroom.

"Oh fuck," Alec says from the phone, genuinely apologetic.

"I'm putting you on speaker. Don't be rude to my Dad."

"Cool. So, what do the machines do?" Alec asks.

"You don't know?" Dad asks right back.

"Nope. They all have really weird names, too. These are all items from something called the…" he trailed off for a moment, "Phernalia registry. The giant sewing-machine looking thing is called a Totem Lathe, the platform with the robot arm is called an Alchemiter, and the weird furnace-looking thing is a… yeah, no, I'm not gonna try with that one."

"What are we supposed to do with them?" I ask.

"How am I supposed to know?"

I sigh, "I'm calling Lisa. I want to know why she wanted us to play this so badly."

"Kay, bye." Alec hangs up without any further ceremony, and I quickly bring up Lisa's number.

She better have more of an explanation for this than he does.

Last edited:
So after a quick search though the internet I understand more about homestuck and at the same time I understand less, so I'll see how this works, also why is all the text after Tay-Tay gets the disc... With a line in the middle? It's..... Not hard to read but very annoying

So after a quick search though the internet I understand more about homestuck and at the same time I understand less, so I'll see how this works, also why is all the text after Tay-Tay gets the disc... With a line in the middle? It's..... Not hard to read but very annoying
Yeah, sorry. That should be fixed now.

So after a quick search though the internet I understand more about homestuck and at the same time I understand less
This is the intended Homestuck experience, yes.
This is about half of it.

Everything is a stable time loop or weird symbolic stuff, also the universe actually runs on narratives and some characters within the story are both aware of this and able to mess with the story itself through fourth wall breaks. Don't think too hard about it.

Lisa: Provide explanations

= = > Lisa: Provide explanations

"If you'd just let me explain!"

"I don't have time to play a dumb game."

"Look, I will literally pay you to play it, okay? It's important it-"

Rachel turned around and glared Lisa down, and the shorter girl flinched at the stare, "I said no. Now leave. I'll see you when we have to start planning our next job, alright?" with that, Rachel turned around and began walking away, heading back into her house/dog shelter.

Lisa glanced backwards at the car, and bit her lip, "Will you at least take them? In case you change your mind? I came all the way out here. It's important to me. Please Rachel?"

Rachel's shoulders bunched up, frustration evident in every inch of her features, but she didn't turn around, and simply stepped through the door, slamming it shut behind her. Lisa felt a bit of despair claw at her, and she looked down at the two envelopes in her hand. Lisa looked over the fence, into the yard dotted with dogs. Not a small number of them were watching her, some with doggy grins, others more wary.

She looked them over for a few seconds, before spotting one she recognized. She glanced back to the house, and then stepped closer to the fence, "Hey, Bentley," she called.

The dog wasn't one of the main trio that Rachel felt comfortable bringing along on missions. He was still relatively new, but he had still received more training than most of the other dogs there. To the point that sometimes when she visited the loft, he was one of the dogs with her. He perked up when he heard his name, and moved closer to the fence, wagging his tail at the sight of her. Seemed like he remembered her, good.

Lisa considered the envelopes in her hand, and then the house.

Rachel was against this, completely and utterly, and Lisa understood why. Rachel wasn't stupid by any means, but she wasn't well-educated by any means either. The girl was only partially literate, and she had enough trouble interacting with them when they were right in front of her. Computers and Rachel tended not to mix. In fact, the only computer Rachel owned was one that Lisa had provided her a few months back to try and encourage her to reach out more often. As far as Lisa knew, Rachel mostly just used it to watch movies.

This was a hail mary, but it might just be what gets Rachel to at least take a look at the discs.

She held out the two envelopes, and Lisa extended her arm over the fence, reaching out as far as she could. Bentley got closer and began sniffing noisily at the envelopes, "Take these to Rachel, okay? Take them to Rachel. To Rachel."

The dog stared up at her, maintaining his doggy grin.

She sighed, but handed over the discs. Bentley accepted the envelope, and then wandered off towards the house with it.

At least they were nearby, Lisa supposed.

She headed back to her car, got in, and glanced at the man sitting in the back, the one with the loaded gun in his hands. "Where now?" she asked.

"You didn't give her the game," the mercenary said, his tone neutral.

"She wouldn't take them. At least now they're inside the house. That's all Coil asked for, right? I can't make her play- not without making her so suspicious she wouldn't touch them."

The man glanced down at his phone, and then shifted his attention back to her. He pressed a button, and she heard ringing. A moment later, it picked up, and his voice filled the cabin of the car. "Yes?"

"She didn't give Bitch the package," the guard said, tattling on her.

"I did!" Lisa quickly corrected, "She wouldn't take it, but I got one of the dogs to sneak it into her house."

"One of the dogs?" Coil asked, unimpressed.

"At least it's with her now, and in a position she'll be more likely to investigate," Lisa said, defensive, "She doesn't have to start playing right away, right?" She hesitated, and glanced upwards, "Right? Once the others start, it'll be easier to convince her."

He hadn't explained everything to her, quite yet. She got a call right after the Endbringer siren started going off, last night, ordering her to go outside, where there were men waiting to escort her to Coil's base. From there, she received discs that her power assured her were not just discs, and orders to get every Undersider ready and willing to play the game.

When she asked why, his only answer had been that anyone playing it had a chance to survive Delos, while anyone not playing it… likely wouldn't. Not if the Endbringer's meteors kept falling at a faster rate, kept getting bigger. And even more ridiculous, even more terrifying, was the fact that her power told her that he wasn't lying, either. He genuinely believed that playing a game on a regular computer would somehow let them survive the oncoming meteor shower.

"...Very well," Coil said, and Lisa breathed out a quiet sigh of relief. She didn't know why Coil was going through the trouble of having the Undersiders use it rather than anyone else, but she wasn't going to question him either, not when he had guns pointed her way, and not when he was holding all the information.

"Then… I guess I should head back to the Undersiders' loft and play myself?"

"No. None of you can play it in the same house."

"My apartment then?" she asked hopefully.

"I've prepared a location."

His base.

She sat back in the seat, and started up the car. Every so often, the mercenary in the back would give her a direction, and she would get closer and closer to the parking garage that hid Coil's underground fortress.

Finally, they stopped, she parked, and the mercenary took the keys from her afterwards, herding her towards the elevator at gunpoint.

They descended down the shaft, and emerged at a small hallway leading to a vault door. From there, they stepped out into the central room of the underground fortress. From there, doors led down various other tunnels, and Lisa eyed the labels. A generator room, a cafeteria, storage rooms, lockers and dwellings for the guards stationed here. There were even prison cells.

But the room he led her into was unlabeled. The tunnel leading there was one of the cleanest and best maintenanced. Lined with security cameras, sensors, and protected on the other end by another heavy metal door.

As this last barrier opened, Coil stood before Lisa in his eerie faceless costume, covered from head to toe in tight-fitting black fabric, decorated with a white snake design that appropriately coiled across his limbs and body. In one hand was a gun, kept casually aimed at the floor, but there all the same. Behind him was his private office, a posh, comfy, carpeted space, with a large monitor set up on the desk.

"Welcome, Tattletale." He waved his free hand, and the guard that had led her inside vanished back out into the hall.

He pulled out the chair by the desk for her, and gestured with the gun for her to sit.

She eyed him warily for a moment, but sat down all the same. He walked away, then, and crossed his arms behind his back. His posture seemed relatively relaxed, but she could tell from the way that he held his body, he was pissed. Royally so. More frustrated and angry than she had ever seen him before.

A shiver went down her spine as he turned his head to watch her. And then, by increments, he began to relax. Despite his frustration cooling just slightly, the underlying rage still persisted. He let out a soft breath, and then moved closer and turned the monitor on. What she assumed was her copy of the mysterious game, going by the text on the screen, was already loaded up and ready to go. It seemed like she would be the next client in the chain.

"What do you need me to do?" she asked.

"You need to-" he hesitated, and then glanced towards her waist. A moment later, she noticed that her phone was vibrating, "It's your new recruit. Answer her. I'm not here."

Lisa swallowed nervously, before breathing in, and focusing on maintaining some cheer in her voice, "Hey Taylor."

"Lisa, what the fuck."

Terrified of the game. Doubting friendship. Doubting everything. Doubting Undersiders. Game isn't normal.

"I'm going to need a little bit more than that to work from, Taylor."

"This game you want us all to play- it's some kind of bizarre tinker-tech thing. Alec is doing stuff to my house, Lisa. Stuff that's noticeable from the outside! If there wasn't an Endbringer alert going on right now, there'd probably be police here to see why my house has started swelling like a balloon! Why did you give it to us?"

She glanced at Coil, but the only clues she was getting was that whatever was going on with the game, he was being honest about it- and that fact was what was making him so angry.

"The game… it's not a normal one, obviously. It's… from the Boss."

"The Boss?" she asked, before her voice got softer, and more intense- leaning in closer to the phone. Someone is listening in. Her father. "The Undersider's boss?" She whispered.

"Yes. It's meant to protect us from Delos."

"From Delos? How?"

"Apparently, by playing it. I don't know where he got it from, but I am grateful for it. I'm sorry I had to trick you and the others, but he said it was necessary."

"The loading screen…" Taylor muttered to herself, "It's connected. Someone- some Tinker, predicted Delos? Is it meant to turn our houses into fortresses? So we can survive the meteor strikes?"

"I honestly don't know," Lisa said, "Look, I'm going to start playing soon myself," she glanced at Coil, but he still gave no hints. The only thing her power was telling her about him was that he was still incredibly angry, and whatever he had been doing in his head to calm himself down earlier, he wasn't doing it any more, and the frustration was building again, "and once I do, my power will be able to start making sense of it. Just know that you have to keep playing, and you'll be alright."

"If… if this is to protect against Delos, then we need to get the discs to someone important. I don't know, the Protectorate, Armsmaster, the PRT, someone. They can use them somehow, do something to help the people Delos is targeting. Use it on Endbringer Shelters."

Lisa glanced at Coil, who shifted at Taylor's words.

"The PRT already has copies," she said, speaking the words almost as soon as her power provided her the information, "the Protectorate too." The tension in Coil's body grew, and she realized she misstepped. That wasn't something he wanted her to know, "I'm guessing."

"Guessing?"

"Superpower-assisted guessing, the best kind," but Lisa could tell that Taylor's trust was wearing thin at the moment, whatever Alec and the game had done, it shook her, "Look, think about it this way. There's two discs for each of us, server and client. You were the first client, and Alec the first server. And next, you'll be the server for me. And then I'll be the server for either Brian and Rachel, and so on, and then one of them will finally be the server for Alec. Whatever's going on with your house, it'll be something we all deal with together."

"...Fine. I'll trust you."

"Thanks," Lisa said, sighing in relief, "...Try and get me into the game, soon, okay?" she asked, glancing backwards at Coil, who gave a small nod.

"Okay. Talk to you- hey! ALEC!" Taylor snapped, before quickly cutting the call.

Lisa sank back in the chair, and glanced towards Coil. Now that the call was over, whatever mental exercise he was doing to relax seemed to be back in full swing, and he was relaxing, bit by bit, standing in the corner of the room.

"How does this work?" Lisa asked, gesturing to the computer, "What she was talking about, with her house changing… is that really something you're willing to let happen to your base?"

"To protect it from Delos? Certainly."

Lisa looked from Coil, and then back to the computer, "Why am I playing? Why not you?"

Coil looked away.

Lisa wasn't a mindreader, no matter what kind of reputation she tried to establish for Tattletale. She couldn't really hear what he was thinking, but her power still gave her hints.

Why wasn't he playing? He didn't know either, her power supplied, and it's tearing him up, not knowing.

Following orders.

From where?

Her power was silent on that.

But there was someone above Coil, apparently. Someone that he believed would protect them from the fourth Endbringer laying siege to the entire world, one small rock at a time. Someone who wanted, for some reason, the Undersiders behind the wheel rather than Coil.

Interesting.

She glanced back at the screen.

What was Sburb?

What was Bucket Systems Incorporated?

This fic is super exciting! I always want to see "characters from X work of fiction play SBURB" fics. I think I've actually seen a Worm one before, but it didn't get very far. Unfortunately, lots of Homestuck fics I've seen don't get very far. Here's hoping we get further in this one!

I love the Protectorate naming the portals a new Endbringer and the whole Delos thing. I'm actually kind of excited to see the Worm power stuff interact with the SBURB bullshit. Especially because...well, when you think about it, SBURB is basically the shards' ultimate answer, while at the same time something that their approach has essentially irreversibly locked themselves out of.

Regarding How the Universe Works, First Guardians, The Green Sun, and the Future of this Story *Spoilers*
This fic is super exciting! I always want to see "characters from X work of fiction play SBURB" fics. I think I've actually seen a Worm one before, but it didn't get very far. Unfortunately, lots of Homestuck fics I've seen don't get very far. Here's hoping we get further in this one!

I love the Protectorate naming the portals a new Endbringer and the whole Delos thing. I'm actually kind of excited to see the Worm power stuff interact with the SBURB bullshit. Especially because...well, when you think about it, SBURB is basically the shards' ultimate answer, while at the same time something that their approach has essentially irreversibly locked themselves out of.

Speaking of locking themselves out of Sburb... This is something I posed on the version over at Spacebattles.

Don't read on if you don't want spoilers, but I think it's only fair if I set expectations right out the gate on where this story is going, how the universe works, and how much of Homestuck canon will be involved.

At its most basic, HomeWard is Worm + Sburb more than it's Worm + Homestuck. The story will be following for the most part a single Sburb session. I'm not planning for there to be a Scratch, and I'm not planning to explore other sessions going on in the world or in other timelines in-depth. (Maybe one or two chapters, or omake and stuff? That could be fun.) The universe that this takes place in follows the rules of a Sburb universe, with a few key differences to allow Worm to also exist.

The universe that Earth Bet (and Aleph, Tav etc.) exist in is a Universe Frog. The Frog that HomeWard takes place within is not the same one as any that appeared in Homestuck canon. The different dimensions that an Entity can access are essentially just alternate, parallel timelines that exist within the same frog, as understood by Sburb. These alternate timelines aren't "Doomed Timelines", they simply are. The Entities do not know they are inside a big frog, and have never encountered Sburb artifacts before. This is because Skaia can see the future and won't send Sburb artifacts to doomed planets, and all planets that Entities happen to visit are doomed, with the exception of Earth. All planets that have Sburb artifacts also have a First Guardian to protect those artifacts and ensure civilization comes to exist on that planet, and Entities have never encountered First Guardians either for the same reason they have never encountered Sburb.

First Guardians work essentially the same as the ones in Homestuck. They are created, in some way, through a Sburb session, and sent back in time to watch over a planet destined to have Sburb players. They have access to the near-limitless power of the Green Sun, which grants them vast knowledge, immortality and allows them to warp space, teleport, etc. The origin of the Green Sun won't be explored in HomeWard, and isn't particularly relevant to the story. It could be the same Green Sun that was made in Homestuck Canon, or it might be a completely different one. Doesn't matter. For all HomeWard's intents and purposes, it exists and will continue to exist.

This Universe Frog that Earth Bet exists in was also created in a Sburb session, by parties unknown. It might be Trolls, or Squiddles, or some other species entirely. Who exactly created the HomeWard universe is not relevant to HomeWard, and they don't play an active role in the story. All that's important to know about them is that their Space Player did their job properly, and the Universe Frog Earth Bet is inside of is healthy. This means we aren't going to be meeting any Trolls in this story, we aren't going to be meeting Lord English (who is part Troll), and that a Scratch isn't necessary for success.

I hope this gives you guys an idea of what to expect.

Exciting exciting!

I really am looking forward to this!

I have so many thoughts and questions but I'm just going to sit tight and wait for it to come around.

But then again, speculating is half the fun no?

Until the clarifying post where OP says the entities never saw anything skaia related I thought the simurgh would be the first guardian, good thing she isn't haha.

next up, the other characters beyond the undersiders are the people outside of the game zones (the houses)

are they dead I wonder? I feel like OP will pull them in somehow, some weird separate game/timeline/world horseshit (affectionate), especially afraid of the endbrings and entities coming into contact with prototyping and worry for the characters having their pal/prototype fodder coming along (Danny, aisha, Rachel's dogs and whoever Alec has with him, fuck coil and his mercenaries lmao)

the people pulling coil's strings, might include time shenanigans probably, sweet irony and all that

and lastly classpects, the fun part of this, although that's way, way too far for the third 'page' its the most fun to speculate about this

Taylor: Heir of space (or something with rage)

Brian: Knight of blood (he and rachel share a strong blood aspect tbh maybe prince of breath if rachel gets blood)

Lisa: witch of mind (or mage of light)

Alec: Bard of void (something with the void aspect or time if this isn't a void session)

Rachel: Blood or Life aspect

all in all I really am looking forward to more, hope this post isn't too much of a bother haha

Alec: Observe Hebert Household

= = > Alec: Observe Hebert Household

He leaned back in his seat in his room at the Undersider's loft, and watched as Taylor spoke angrily into the phone, and then turned to watch her Dad. He was worried, obviously. There was some kind of Endbringer in the sky who could drop a meteor on literally anyone, at any time. His house was being remodeled by an artistic genius without his consent. But, to Alec's surprise, the thing he was most worried about right now was his daughter.

Or maybe he shouldn't be surprised.

That was what normal parents did, or some shit.

Finally, it seemed like Taylor was done with her rant at Lisa. Part of him wanted to pester her for everything she learned about this weird-ass game, but another part of him shut down that initiative on instinct. If it was important, he'd be told. That was how things usually worked.

He kept on watching as Taylor's Dad began to speak to his daughter, and the two of them started just… talking. Worried faces and signs of frustration all around, but only a little bit of it was directed at each other. The old man reached out to touch her shoulder, and Taylor allowed the touch, before finally turning and checking out the machines he had put down. Alec let a smile come back to his face, and leaned forwards, interested.

Should he?

Ah, what the hell. He was genuinely curious. And this was stuff directly related to him, now, anyway. Stuff he put down himself. He called her, and then set it up on speaker as he focused on the menu and mouse in front of him.

"Alec?" Taylor asked.

"I saw you finished your chat with Lisa. Are you ready to start experimenting with stuff?"

"We might as well. Lisa said-" she cuts herself off, hesitant, before looking upwards. Was she trying to look up at him? "-that this game we're playing is something designed to protect us from Delos. Whatever these machines are, whatever tinkertech was on the disc, it's meant to let us survive whatever it is."

She wasn't looking at him, she was looking in the vague direction of the brand-new fourth threat to the world hovering over all their heads.

"Cool, so we're using tinkertech to meteor-proof all our houses?"

"I guess?" Taylor said, "Somehow, I don't think it's that straight forward." She steps up to the thing he didn't want to try pronouncing, because if he did, he would have been unable to stop himself from making a poop joke. Now that he was thinking about it in those terms, it did look vaguely sewer-related. The wheel attached to the central pipe did, at least.

She touches the panel on the front of the thing, but it doesn't seem to react or burn her or anything else she might be expecting. Instead, she chooses to lean forwards, and turn the wheel. It moves slightly, and then sticks.

"Dad," she called.

"Are you sure we should be messing with these, Taylor?"

"They're meant to protect us, somehow. And until I get more answers, we'll have to figure out how they work the old way."

He sighed, just barely loud enough for the phone to catch, and reached over to help her. They don't quite spin it all the way, but something changes. Alec leans in closer, and sees that there's some kind of lid at the top of the pipe. One that shifts when they turn it, but doesn't quite come loose.

A grin spreads across his face, "I think I can help," he says cheerfully, "Make way."

"Make way?" the old man asks. Alec shifts perspective to the bathroom, where he had accidentally… rearranged things a bit. The bathtub, which was no longer attached to the floor regardless, seemed like it would have enough heft to it. He picked it up with the cursor, and then dragged it through the house back to Taylor's room.

The old man and the Undersiders' newest recruit both fling themselves to the floor, the drama queens, as he smashes it through the doorway and flings it at the top of the cruxtruder.

The lid popped off, and a big glowing purple ball of light emerged from it, and hung ominously in the air.

Taylor reacted on instinct, backing off and pulling in the swarm of insects to protect herself. Immediately, the entire screen filled with a flash, and inside the ball of light there was now… a gigantic bee, seemingly also made of light, curled up inside.

"I… can still feel it, kind of," Taylor said, slowly getting back to her feet, "It's not in pain."

She slowly reached out to touch it, only to have her father grab her arm and pull her back, "Let's not get anything else trapped inside."

The bee turned towards her, and then spoke a horrible, buzzing, garbled sound.

Taylor stared at it, "It was… trying to say something," she said, amazed, "It's smarter than it was before."

Alec stared at the bug in the ball, and found himself tempted to throw something else in as well. But as he scanned the room for anything interesting Taylor wouldn't yell at him for- maybe the tub? -he spotted something else.

"Hey, there's something in the tube," he announced over the phone.

Taylor tore her eyes away from the big glowing bug, and then inspected the cruxtruder again. Sure enough, peaking over the top, where the lid used to be, was the very top of a strange dark purple-colored crystalline cylinder.

Taylor pulled on the wheel, and rather than the slow progress from before, it spun easily. The cylinder shot up out of the tube and landed on the ground next to her, followed by another. A third cylinder poked halfway out of the top. As she bent down to pick one of them up, however, she froze, staring at the cruxtruder.

Alec frowned, and leaned closer, narrowing his eyes at the screen, "Is that a timer?"

"It looks like I have a little less than six minutes to do something," she said.

"Maybe that's how long the cylinders last for?" the old man suggested, picking up one of them as well. He looked towards the other machines, and with a thoughtful expression, approached another machine, "Alex, uh, which one was this?"

"It's Alec," he corrected, "And that's the uh… totem lathe."

"A lathe," the old man held out the cylinder, and sure enough, it seemed just the right size to fit between the clamps, "Come help me out with this." Taylor moved to join him, and together they clamped the cylinder in place, and then looked over the machine, "We're missing something," the old man said after a few moments, reaching up to press at the machine, "It's on- there's enough little lights on this thing to tell us that -the totem's in place." He frowned, focused on the puzzle in front of him, and then leaned closer to the slot on the front, "There's a lot of sensors connected to this part here," he said, "Are there any other parts to this? This looks like it could fit a cartridge or something."

Alec frowned, and then opened up the phernalia registry again. Sure enough, there was something there, something he had initially overlooked, due to not being as flashy as all the big machines, "Hey, here you go Old Man."

"Old man?" he asked, offended.

Alec clicked the "prepunched card" containing an image of an instrument, and decided to deploy it next to the lathe. Both father and daughter jump back in alarm as it suddenly appears, staring at the card, and then at each other, but recover quickly enough. Taylor picks it up, and holds it over the slot in the lathe, "This looks like it fits… Thanks Alec." Her tone has changed for some reason, "Did you… do anything to it?"

"What do you mean?"

"The picture in the card."

"The recorder?"

"It's- it's a flute," she said, "I recognize it."

"Cool," Alec said, "So you going to pop it in, or what? There's a timer."

"Right." She slotted it into the lathe, and then stepped back as the machine burst into life. Alec watched as a spike descended from the top arm of the machine and changed the shape of the cylinder, and then retracted again.

"What now?" the old man asked, freeing the newly-carved cylinder from the lathe. He looked backwards, at the cruxtruder, "The timer is still going."

"We try the third machine," Taylor said, "Although that one doesn't have a Delos symbol."

Alec frowned, "Delos symbol?"

"Have you seen a picture of the fourth Endbringer on the news?" Taylor asked. He hadn't. "It's… a big glowing circle, with all those lines inside it. Meteorites just appear out of the center. Then the circle vanishes, and teleports somewhere over Earth, and lets out another meteorite. These symbols look just like it."

"Creepy," Alec said, leaning on one hand as he watched Taylor's dad set the cylinder on a small platform on the alchemiter. As she moved closer to it, the glowing bee floated through the air after her, making a few more eerie droning sounds that Alec could just barely catch over the phone.

All at once, the machine seemed to come to life. Both Heberts dive out of the way as the robotic arm of the alchemiter moves outwards, and lifts its end towards the cylinder. A blinking red light appears on the edge of it, and a laser shoots out of the tip, hitting the cylinder. Then, the arm moves slowly downwards, scanning the object. There's another flash of light, and in the center of the larger platform, a podium appears, the same purple color as the cylinders and the light emanating from the bee.

Sitting on the top of the podium, next to a book of sheet music, was the flute.

Taylor moved closer to it, but froze as the podium suddenly vanished, and the flute dropped, clattering to the surface of the alchemiter's platform. Alec could see that something had happened to the flute. It was bent, almost twisted. Stuff was… encrusted on it. Rust, maybe?

Taylor froze, and her dad put his hands over his mouth, looking horrified.

"Am I missing something?" Alec asked.

Taylor slapped the phone shut with a loud click, and Alec let out a huff of annoyance as he watched her throw the phone behind her, letting it bounce off the floor and hit the wall. She was shaking. Her dad said something to her, but she shouted something back, and then marched up to the alchemiter and grabbed the crappy-looking flute that was so apparently important. She began doing something to the flute, but Alec's viewing angle didn't let him see what was going on properly.

Idly, he glanced back at the timer on the cruxtruder. Only about a minute left.

Taylor's dad grabbed her shoulder, still talking. But, finally, something seemed to happen as Taylor's bugs started going crazy. He glanced back at the cruxtruder. Only a few seconds remained.

He looked back to her, and smiled when she tossed the flute to the ground-

And then his view of the screen was obstructed by a flash of light. He wondered what the result would be, when he found himself with completely different concerns, namely, staying in his chair despite the entire world suddenly shaking around him.

His monitor tipped over, the screen winking out as it fell to the floor, pulling free of its plug in the process. All throughout the loft, anything that wasn't nailed down toppled over to the floor. The windows shattered. The lights flickered above his head. Finally, after a few seconds, the tremors seemed to stop.

Alex cautiously got up from his chair, and inched towards the now glass-free window, and leaned through it. What he saw sent a jolt of terror down his spine.

There was a mushroom cloud hanging over Brockton Bay, and from what he could tell, it was rising out of the suburbs near the docks. The column of smoke rose high into the air, a heat haze radiating off of it.

That was the part of the city where Taylor lived, he realized.

He also realized that Taylor's timer was almost to zero when that flash of light hit.

With a shaking hand, he picked up his phone. Tapping in Taylor's number, he hit the call button.

It rang.

Nobody answered.

Alec shuddered, and then began typing in another number.

oh i thought she was going to play the flute hm, I guess there is some weird poetry with her breaking the flute...

Also of course she would prototype a bee lol.

wonderful chapter, very homestuck but also very worm!

So she prototyped the Beesprite. That's a prototype for the mobs to receive, and I'm betting the sprite is gonna give them either flight, poison/venom inducement, coordination, or a mix of the three, possibly even all of those.

Taylor's artifact being her mom's flute, and having her break it rather than play it, certainly has a bit of poetry to it. I can't guess as to what the poem is, but I'm guessing something tragic and heartbreaking.

No fair, not giving us a clear look at a narratively significant arc number. I'm onto you, just you wait; I'll be on the lookout for other instances of "a little less than six," or "a little more than five."
Yeah, I have no clue what it could be. Worm has 302 chapters so it's not that. It was published in June and ended in November so it can't follow the Homestuck pattern of publish date. This story was also published in June. In-universe Worm starts in April, the story starts on 4/12, so it can't be that.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have no clue what it could be. Worm has 302 chapters so it's not that. It was published in June and ended in November so it can't follow the Homestuck pattern of publish date. This story was also published in June. In-universe Worm starts in April, the story starts on 4/12, so it can't be that.

as far as I'm aware it could be a parallel to the huss refusing to properly set time beyond june

like "a few months back but not many" and such

Rachel: Answer Phone

= = > Rachel: Answer phone

Minutes in the past, but not many…

Rachel huffed as the phone started ringing, inside the house, interrupting playtime. She gave the little rubber ball one last throw, sending the group of dogs chasing after it, before ducking back into her house and picking up the phone.

"What?" she demanded, not bothering to check who it was that was calling.

"Hey, Bitch," Brian greeted.

"Hey." She relaxed by a few notches, "What's going on?"

"I just wanted to let you know that we're calling off the bank job. Apparently Tattletale already spoke to the boss, and he took back his request."

"Tattletale told me just a little while ago," Bitch said, "When she dropped off her stupid computer game."

"Oh, good," he said, "Probably the right call, considering the Endbringer hanging over our heads. Nobody makes trouble during an Endbringer fight."

Generally, Rachel hated anything that made her look weak. As part of the Undersiders, she hated anything that made the group look weak too. Part of her wanted to double down on the bank job because of that. Dare the heroes to try their worst. But Endbringer battles weren't a joke. Any idiot who tried to drag attention away from the city-destroying monsters and towards themselves got everything they deserved, in her opinion.

"Do you have a plan for when we should meet up again?" Rachel asked, "How long do we wait after the attack ends?"

"Well, I thought we actually might meet up later today. Tattletale brought that game over, right? I was thinking of checking it out. It's not like I have anything else to do today."

"I'm not interested in playing a dumb computer game."

"It's your call," Brian said, voice neutral, "But it could be a chance for you to get to know Taylor better. We hung out for a while yesterday. It was fun. Kind of made me wish you were there, though. It would be nice to do something as a whole group."

"I'm not interested in getting to know her better," Rachel said, voice edging towards annoyance, "We don't need her for our jobs. She doesn't add anything. Just one more way to divide the profits."

"I don't know. You saw how she handled herself against Lung. And it's not like she doesn't add anything. She's pretty smart, when we were working on the plans, she pointed out things that Tattletale and I didn't see, and she's about as new to all this as you can get."

Rachel was reaching her limit on talking for the day, "Well, it doesn't matter. I didn't take Tattletale's stupid game any… way…" she stared as Bentley sat by the screen door leading to the yard, two envelopes bearing a green house symbol in his mouth.

"Bitch?"

"How?" she asked the dog.

He just kept smiling his doggy smile and drooling on the envelopes.

"Bitch?"

"I'll call you back." She hung up on him, and then marched towards the door, swinging it open and looking down at the english bulldog, "Bentley, give me." She held out her hand.

He lifted his paw to shake.

"Ah-ah, no. No shake. Give me."

She held out her hand again. Bentley shifted slightly, confused, but after a moment, he leaned forwards and dropped the slobber-covered envelopes into her hand.

"Good dog," she said, rubbing his head, "Good boy."

With the games in hand, she eyed her computer. It sounded like everyone was playing, then. Not just Alec, but Lisa and Brian as well. Taylor too. And as much as it sucked that everyone's cut was going to get smaller because Lisa made a new friend, or whatever, the girl wasn't that bad. She managed to stand up for herself against the dogs, at least.

Maybe she should play? Hearing that they had essentially partied the whole day yesterday together didn't make her sad, exactly. But… they were a team. Bitch trusted the other Undersiders more than she trusted most other people. Even if they were annoying.

She set the games on her desk, nearby the monitor.

If they asked her again, she'd think about it. For the time being, she just headed back out into the yard, throwing herself back into playtime with the dogs. Exercising them, getting them used to commands, making sure that they didn't get too rough with each other, making sure the ones who were injured were recovering fine.

She lost track of time for a bit, until the dogs started barking up a storm. She turned to see what was causing a ruckus, when a smile pulled at her lips. She pushed her way through the gathered dogs barking wildly at the fence, and leaned over it a bit to greet an old friend.

"Hey," she said, reaching her hand out to the wild dog. "You haven't come around in a while." He came closer, and nuzzled his nose into her hand, noisily sniffing at her before giving her hand a big wet lick. The dog was a big one, one of the biggest she had ever seen, with deep, thick, white fur. She wasn't quite sure of his breed. She would have guessed a white shepherd, but he was far too big for that, and some of his other proportions were wrong as well. Of course, his species wasn't the only strange thing about him. The dog was missing his eyes. When she had first met him, years ago, she originally thought that his eyes were hidden under the thick fur, but instead, she found that they were simply missing. Likely, he was born without them, given that the dog didn't have a single scar anywhere on him.

The dog wasn't one of hers, although she had come across him often enough.

She headed towards the gate, and the big white dog followed, and stepped inside when she opened the door for him. He was quickly mobbed by the other dogs, and she watched with a fond smile as he jumped around and played with the others. He was by far the biggest and strongest dog there, and every other one in the yard knew that too, just looking at him. Even Brutus and Judas, the most senior of her dogs, tended to follow his lead. Sometimes, they'd even take their cues from him, rather than from her.

That'd be more of a problem, she supposed, if he stayed around for long.

The big white dog would only ever show up for brief periods. Eat a little food, play with her and the other dogs for a while, sniff everything he could, and then escape in short order. Over the years, nothing has managed to get him to stay for long. Not collars, not leashes, not food bribes.

The first few times, she was worried when he vanished, and incredibly relieved when he reappeared, but wherever it was that he went to, it obviously treated him well. She never saw him looking underfed, and she never saw even a single scratch on him. Just another mystery of his existence. She didn't even know his name. But he did respond to "Hey."

The big white dog was helping himself to some of the kibble she had set out, when his head suddenly popped up, his ears perked and alert, his nose sniffing the air.

At once, he turned towards her, and then started pushing her towards the door to her house.

"Hey! Hey, stop that."

But Hey did not stop it. Frowning, she held out her hands, pressed it into his soft fur, and tried to reach out with her power- and immediately, before even the smallest spark of connection could form, the animal the size of a wolf managed to weasel and squirm his way out of her range, hanging back. She had never once managed to tag him. Just another mystery, but it was a good way to show him who was boss, when she needed to.

"What's so important that I need to go back inside for?" she asked, mostly to herself.

Hey looked from her, to the sky, despite his lack of eyes, he seemed to be focused on something. She turned her head upwards, and then froze. There was something up there, trailing a line of fire behind it. It was tiny, far away, but getting closer.

A meteorite.

Cold dread shot up her spine. Her brain began to work on autopilot as the meteorite tore through the sky, faster and faster, larger and larger.

She ran for the other dogs, and thrust outwards with her powers. Judas, Brutus, Angelica, Bentley, Kuro, Bullet, Sirius, and any other dog that came close. She diverted as much power as she could to each of them as fast as she could, speeding the transformation up faster. She wasn't truly thinking, single-mindedly focused on the thought that if they were transformed, they'd be more likely to survive the impact than not, however marginal a difference she could make, she would make it.

There was a monstrous noise.

The ground shook.

The dogs started howling.

Glass exploded out of windows, dust and wind tore down the streets like a wave, filling the air with haze.

She took a shuddering step forwards, and then fell forwards. Immediately, the empowered dogs moved closer to her, worried and agitated from the impact and from the expectation that there would be a fight. All of them were on guard, now, and those dogs she hadn't transformed had rushed back to their kennels out of fear of those who were transformed.

She let Judas help her to her feet, and then braced herself against him as she turned towards the impact site. It was visible across the entire city, after all. A mushroom cloud, rising high up into the air.

And then, as she watched the sky, she realized with growing horror that the meteorite wasn't alone. Tiny red streams began making trails across the sky, most of them missing Brockton Bay by miles and miles, but that they were close enough to see at all was terrifying. And then she noticed that one of them wasn't too far away. It was, in fact, getting closer just like the first one was.

But rather than slamming into the area by the docks, it seemed like this one would be heading for the city center.

She held on tight to Judas as the second meteor hit home downtown, and flinched as she saw all the skyscrapers of Brockton Bay shudder. As the second mushroom cloud started rising, she let out a shaky breath. At least the second strike wasn't as bad as the first.

The big white dog nuzzled into her again, nudging her back towards her house.

He wanted her to take shelter, she realized.

She let him guide her inside, leaving the empowered dogs in the yard for the moment. Judas and Brutus would know to protect the kennels, and they'd be able to keep the others in line until they were small enough to come inside for shelter too.

Rachel noticed that her phone was ringing, but ignored it in favor of watching the big white dog. Hey began sniffing, before stepping across the floor straight towards her computer. She watched, bewildered, as he sniffed the envelopes containing the games. Was he smelling Bentley's drool? She watched as he gently nudged it with his nose, closer towards the computer, and then he turned towards her, his eyeless gaze staring into her soul in a way that dogs didn't often do, unless they were being aggressive- but he was totally calm.

Hey gave a loud sniff, and then vanished in a flash of green light.

She stared at the spot on the floor where the dog had been standing a few moments ago, in complete shock.

Finally, Rachel moved to pick up the phone.

She eyed the twin clouds rising over Brockton Bay with unease as she answered.

Oh damn so Rachel is the one with the First Guardian, huh

that's is really interesting, also Rachel has some wack tsundere vibes

Is that bec or another first guardian that happens to be a dog. until confirmed to be bec or otherwise named, I suggest gdog... wait the g in gcat is for god so that would be goddog, a palindrome. neat.

Taylor: Play Flute

= = > Taylor: Play Flute

Minutes in the past, but not many…

"Fuck this game!" I scream, grabbing the flute, "Endbringer, tinkertech, bullshit!"

"Taylor!"

"NO!" I shout back, lifting the damaged, disgusting, desecration up in the air, "It's taunting us! What the hell is this supposed to be!? What is this supposed to mean? Why would it show us this?"

"Taylor, calm down."

I grip it with both hands, and grit my teeth, and start pushing. This thing wasn't Mom's flute. This thing was an insult!

"Taylor!"

If I broke this thing, I wouldn't be destroying Mom's flute. Emma and her lackeys did that a long time ago. The prelude of things to come. They broke it, ruined it, and left it for me to find. Destroyed one last symbol of my mother, the last comforting piece of my childhood left. Covered in filth and left behind in the locker. Just like I would be.

"Taylor!" Dad shouts, grabbing onto my shoulder. My first thought is to push him away from me- but I don't. He's my Dad. He's just worried because I'm-

I'm…

I'm being stupid. I push my emotions into the swarm, letting the bugs work out my anger for me. It's still there, under the surface, but fangs and stingers and claws all twitch and swing and buzz, releasing the tension I felt by letting the smaller bodies act out on the feelings. With my bugs throwing a tantrum on my behalf, I can focus on keeping my real body focused.

"I'm sorry," I said to him.

"Kiddo," he began, "Are you… okay?"

"No, no I'm not."

I let the dented, nearly-bent-in-half fake flute drop from my hand, and it strikes the platform. I hear another crack, just a tiny one, and my eyes widen as the flute cracks in half.

Light explodes out of it, filling my vision and causing everything to go white. When the light dissipates, I see the glowing ball of light containing one of my bees seem to go crazy. The light is flaring brighter and darker inside it, alternating in colors and patterns, and then it shakes violently. Finally, it splits apart, the sphere of light breaking in two, half of the light shooting downwards into the floor and vanishing, and half of it zipping towards and through the ceiling, leaving no trace.

All that was left was the bee.

But even that began to change. The glowing bee seems to lose focus, and then shifts and warps into something as tall as I was, with a long trailing tail. When it solidifies, I find myself staring at a human-sized bee, white, with a glowing purple outline. But where its thorax should attach to its abdomen, it instead narrowed down to a single, long, ghostly tail. Its six legs hung awkwardly in front of it, and its little wings stuck out to its sides.

I reach out to it with my power and… it barely registers. There's some connection there, some kind of back and forth between its senses and mine, but it's almost invisible to my power. That's never happened before. I can either control something, or I can't. I can tell at the very least that it's completely nonhostile. It has no desire to attack us, and isn't afraid of us in the least. Mostly, the sense I'm getting from it is contentment.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, I focus on my swarm, and notice that only a handful of bugs are under my sway. And even from those ones the input I'm getting from them is fuzzier than it was before. I order some of the flies nearest to me to start moving in formation, and watch, worried, as they continue to do what they're doing for nearly an entire second before they obey. That isn't the near-instantaneous reaction I'm used to. I look out across the room, and note that after about two yards, my control over the bugs is nonexistent. Worse, that limit seems to be… shifting. Like the tides, my range was constantly expanding and shrinking, at its largest, that two yards has almost another foot. At its smallest, about a foot less.

My power's not stable.

And I have no clue why.

But then, that's just one more thing to add onto the pile of stuff I'm already confused about. I move closer to the bugs, pulling the majority into my unstable range, and order them to move closer to me, hiding in my hair and under my clothes. I should probably switch into my costume soon. If I'm going to be limited to only the bugs closest to me, I'll need the extra hiding spots my costume provides.

However, as I was moving forward to gather together my swarm, I realized that outside my window, things look different. I throw it open, and stare, shocked at what I see. Gone are the aging houses of my neighborhood, and gone are the skyscrapers looming in the distance. Instead, I look out over a massive lake, with what seems like a gloomy, swampy, forest on the opposite shore, far, far away. All of it is lit from above in an entire rainbow of colors.

I turn my attention upwards, and shade my eyes with my hand as I squint at the lights in the sky. The sun I knew was gone, replaced by dozens and dozens of evenly-spaced sources of light hanging in the sky each about as bright as a full moon. They're a variety of colors, ranging across the entire spectrum. As I watch, I notice one of them slowly shift from red to orange, and another a few seconds later change from blue to purple.

"Dad, you should come see this."

He looks up from the fading remains of the glowing purple flute, the one that I had broken and thrown to the ground, and approaches the window to see what I see, wary of standing too close to me due to the sheer number of bugs on my body.

"Is this what your friends meant by protecting us from Delos?" he asked after a moment, "Sending us to another planet?"

Part of me wants to deny that, but I'm looking out at an alien sky, "I don't know if it's another planet. It might be anything. I've heard of Capes making pocket dimensions and the like. I mean, there are trees over there. Regular earth trees."

"I guess that's a bit more plausible than a stargate shaped like Annette's flute," he says, but his voice is strained. The last few minutes have just been one thing after another, "I guess that would still count as being protected from Delos. Do we just stay here until the meteor shower is over?"

"I'm not sure what other choice we have," I say, looking up towards the ceiling. The lights are still on, at least. That means we still have electricity, despite being in some kind of pocket dimension.

Are we still connected to the grid back in Brockton Bay?

My eyes slid to the cell phone I chucked across the room. I should probably check back in with Regent. I bend down to pick it up, only to note that, somehow, I have better reception inside the pocket dimension than I had back in my house. I dial Regent's number, but I get a message saying that he's in a call with someone else right now. I decided to dial Lisa instead. She said she might have more answers once she gets into the game, lacking anything else I could be doing right now, I might as well get started on that.

Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky, and she'll be able to bring some kind of sense to this.

"Taylor!?" Lisa practically shouts, "Are you okay!? How- the game worked?"

I frown.

"Taylor? Taylor, please, please say something I need to know-"

She sounds terrified, "I'm fine. I'm- I'm in a really weird place right now, but I'm fine. What are you talking about?"

"Delos hit your house."

Dad went still where he was standing behind me.

"What?" he asked.

"Delos hit your house." Lisa repeated, "There's- there's a crater there, now. The game worked. Oh god, it works."

"Are you alright?" I ask, terrified, "Is- what's the damage to the city? Are the others okay? Alec?" The Undersiders' base wasn't that far from home.

"I'm… safe for the moment. But I think we need to focus on getting everyone in as soon as we can. What can you tell me about the process?"

I swallowed nervously, and then shoved my dread and worry into my bugs, letting them work out the emotions in my place, focused again for the moment, I begin lining out just what my Dad, Alec, and I did to kick off whatever happened to stick my house in this pocket dimension, if that's what it really was.

"Your mother's flute?" she asked, confused.

"Yeah."

"...Why?"

"I don't know. I'm hoping you'll tell me."

"Hm. Pass. For the moment anyway. What's the ghost-bee doing?"

I glanced back at the glowing purple figure, and found that it was still just watching us- hovering at the very edge of my now much tinier range of influence. "Watching me. But my powers tell me that it's not a threat. I… something happened to my powers when I arrived here. My range got a lot smaller, and my control over the bugs has a delay that didn't exist before."

"..No, the delay always existed, it was just so small you didn't notice. Whatever your power does to control bugs, it's having to work a lot harder for half the payout right now." Lisa said, piecing things together as her own power fed her information, "Did you know our powers don't work if we're far enough from the planet?" Lisa suddenly said, "Back before the Simurgh, people were sending Tinkers into space, to see what they could do to push us into the future. Sphere had the beginnings of a moonbase set up, but progress was slow. When he was up there, his power wouldn't work. The ideas wouldn't come. Maintenance on his drones was difficult. Eventually, he just stayed planetside, where building his drones was easy, and operated them remotely."

"Wait, are you saying I'm literally on another planet?" I ask.

"No, of course not. If powers barely work by the moon, then there's no way they'd work once you reach Mars or Venus."

"So where are we?" I ask, growing frustrated.

"I don't know. But you know what I do know? I'd rather be where you are than where I am right now. Your house got hit, and a few minutes later, the PRT building was crushed by a second meteor. The sky is full of fire, Taylor. We need to get out of here." Her voice sounded desperate.

"Right. Right. What do you need me to do?"

> End of Act 1

Last edited:
Wonderful chapter, really worried about the implications of the power sort of working on Skaia but not really though

I'm a little rusty on my lore though, can someone tell me if earth and skaia are the same?

anyway, looking forward to more! nice work on the chapter OP

Wonderful chapter, really worried about the implications of the power sort of working on Skaia but not really though

I'm a little rusty on my lore though, can someone tell me if earth and skaia are the same?

anyway, looking forward to more! nice work on the chapter OP
Skaia isn't Earth, Skaia is its own planet.

Back