Ghostly vengeance:an exalted 3e campaign

Hello!
I am opening a new campaign, called Ghostly Vengeance as in the title. this is a recruiting thread for the game, which itself will happen on discord

*what is Ghostly vengeance?*
Ghostly Vengeance is a campaign about, well, ghostly vengeance. after dying a horrible death as a bunch of mortals, you are brought back to life as exalted with little memory of your past life. not fully living yet not undead either, and with the powers of the Solar exalted flowing through you, you know just one thing. you are here avenge your death.

Ghostly Vengeance is a campaign for 4-5 players, using the Exalted 3e system. game will be at saturday, 13:00 est, and will be text based(but still synchronized and not play by post). players will play as new Solar exalted past their death in unknown means and for unknown reasons.
no prior knowledge of the exalted system is needed, and new players are welcome. however, it will feature a good deal of roleplay and require players to decide their path.
I am by no means an inexperienced gm, but my experience with exalted is rather limited and I never ran 3rd edition. so if there are hitches in game, please bear with me, and I promise we will have great time.

I am tentatively interested but 3E Solar?

I have familiarity of the mechanics and.....yeah. I can work it but the charm bloat is a killer. Any chance I can convince you to use ExWod or Exalted Essence instead?

the system isn't fully set, I haven't really played exalted for like 5-6 years and back then I played 2e. so I will need to weight it.

that said 3e does look good aside from the ridiculous amount of charms. and I just bought it a few weeks ago for this campaign.

It is not a deal breaker and I can break out one of my old Char sheets. My suggestion is completely disregard Craft. Trust me, they modeled it after Cookie Clicker and it shows.

Though if you are curious, ExWod can be found for free. It has its own problems with Craft but not as bad.

craft was always problematic in Exalted and many other systems honestly. its not huge though. and if its needed I can change the system as needed for it.

Hello!
I am opening a new campaign, called Ghostly Vengeance as in the title. this is a recruiting thread for the game, which itself will happen on discord

*what is Ghostly vengeance?*
Ghostly Vengeance is a campaign about, well, ghostly vengeance. after dying a horrible death as a bunch of mortals, you are brought back to life as exalted with little memory of your past life. not fully living yet not undead either, and with the powers of the Solar exalted flowing through you, you know just one thing. you are here avenge your death.

Ghostly Vengeance is a campaign for 4-5 players, using the Exalted 3e system. game will be at saturday, 13:00 est, and will be text based(but still synchronized and not play by post). players will play as new Solar exalted past their death in unknown means and for unknown reasons.
no prior knowledge of the exalted system is needed, and new players are welcome. however, it will feature a good deal of roleplay and require players to decide their path.
I am by no means an inexperienced gm, but my experience with exalted is rather limited and I never ran 3rd edition. so if there are hitches in game, please bear with me, and I promise we will have great time.

I would like to signal interest. In 3e I have a fighty dawn id be interested in roleplaying.

Last edited:
craft was always problematic in Exalted and many other systems honestly. its not huge though. and if its needed I can change the system as needed for it.
So, aside from Craft, is there any other rule change? I am thinking of a Dawn Caste too as I do not want to touch 3E Craft, even with Homebrew. So regarding MA, you normally need to buy the background to buy dots in each MA to buy the Charms.

Normally this is homebrewed away so I am asking if you are considering this as well? I have the char sheet readyish but it depends on what homebrew we are going and what house rules we will use.

Also, any rules and conditions on the back story? Do we leave it blank as "Amnesia" or do we fill it in?

Normally this is homebrewed away so I am asking if you are considering this as well? I have the char sheet readyish but it depends on what homebrew we are going and what house rules we will use.
no problem, yeah. may I ask why Dawn specifically? there are lots of concepts that don't require touching craft with a stick.
Eclipse, Zenith, and Night don't have craft either. and Twilight doesn't have to do it to the best of my knowledge

Last edited:
no problem, yeah. may I ask why Dawn specifically? there are lots of concepts that don't require touching craft with a stick.
Partially because I cannot RP a Social Character if my life depends on it. I tried that and kept making stupid decisions, even if I got a ton of RP xp for it.

So I default to the stick and the crafter. I am so used to the maker arch type that I want to avoid it for a change. I usually go for the Sorceror but want to be the beat stick for a Change.

alright sure. just need to make sure the party isn't just warriors with no variety. its not a combat heavy campaign- in fact its more an intrigue focused one if anything

alright sure. just need to make sure the party isn't just warriors with no variety. its not a combat heavy campaign- in fact its more an intrigue focused one if anything
Huh. That is informative. Would you mind posting a basic outline of the Background and what to expect? I think people will make the characters accordingly, because reading the OP, I genuinely thought the Campaign would be a roaring rampage of revenge.

My dawn likes swords. A lot. To the point where her goal is to learn all the sword martial arts. As you might imagine, fire dragon style will not be easy to find a teacher or manual for. Let alone violet beir style.

She's gonna have to do quite some talking to get those.

Edit: Which will hopefully be a strong enough concept to support her doing politicking.

Last edited:
Huh. That is informative. Would you mind posting a basic outline of the Background and what to expect? I think people will make the characters accordingly, because reading the OP, I genuinely thought the Campaign would be a roaring rampage of revenge.
well sure. it seems I have created some misconceptions.

that said there won't be any lack of combat. its just that there will be a good amout of problems you can't solve with the sword, either because it won't help, or because you aren't the strongest around. in fact, your quest for vengeance begins as underdogs- the subject of vengeance is gonna be much more powerful politically and physically

Ill edit it

Last edited:
campaign background
here is some background info to the campaign. some of it intentionally vague as mystery is a major element of the campaign as well.

you awake at a cold, damp, and dark room, deep underground, on a hard stone floor. you do not know how here. you do not even know who you were. you only know you died- and now you are back, stronger than ever. you do not know how you came back. but you know why you did- its been carved into your very soul. you need to avenge your death.

because you don't know your own past, you won't have full control over it during character creation. you can leave your background completely blank, or give suggestions for what you might have been once. either way the character won't know it IC, and the details are up to me. you may not directly purchase story merits at character creation. you may however, pool together points to distribute towards them, which will then apply to merits that will soon come into play.you are welcome to give me general directions for those(Such as my character has been rich, or had a dragonblooded sister) but the exact details are up to me.
for intimacies, you may choose principles freely- your character may still hold them. for ties, you remember none, but you may ask for certain general ties. again, I will determine the specifics. once the tie comes into play(usually by meeting the tie's subject) it will be discovered. I may also give your character ties you won't know of, though I will talk to you about the general direction first

because of your half dead status, you gain the pain tolerance, endless endurance, and natural immunity merits for free. some magic interacting with the dead or undead might have special interactions with you as well

Thanks. Also is it limited to Solars only? There are a number of Homebrews and I want to try the Infernal one in particular.

As for Homebrews, please see these and tell us if they are ok?

MA HOMEBREW
You do not need to purchase the MA merit to buy MA. MA now uses the Brawl ability.

You do not have a separate skill for each MA i.e no need to buy it like an ability but need to purchase a MA as though it is a Specialty i.e 3xp and takes 2 weeks to learn WITH a teacher capable of teaching it. Once that is done, you can purchase charms for that MA as normal.

CRAFT HOMEBREW
You do not have a separate skill for each Craft i.e no need to buy it like an ability but need to purchase a Craft as though it is a Specialty i.e 3xp and takes 2 weeks to learn WITH a teacher capable of teaching it.

Craft cannot work without material. For example, if the player wants to make a elixer of limited immortality, then they will need material that resonant with the concept of immortality. The peaches of Immortality from the Gardens of the August Celestial Jade Emperor or the Golden Apples of myth from Greece would be considered to be resonant.

However, the material need not be magical in nature. Take the same example, a fossilized snake skin which would also count due to the myth of Gilgamesh and the snake that stole his herb of immortality.

The material need not be unique but they should not be common as well. It must take at least some in game screen time to gain the ingredient. You cannot simply walk into Walmart and buy them. Well, you or your circle member may buy them in bulk but you will still need to barter with Spirits and demons for them and otherwise put in some in-game effort to get them.

However, if the Storyteller has the material fall out of a plane and smack your character in the face? Then thank the Storyteller and go collect your reagent.

Can I grow ingredients? Short answer: yes, Long answer? Take a Lotus as an example.

You can grow a bunch of Lotus flowers but for them to count, you need to take in-game action to form an association with the materials. So you would need to build or roleplay ordering or hiring people to build a pond and roleplay ordering, or harvesting the Lotus seeds and then having them planted. You can always make a Working to make the Lotus followers grow faster and it would be a perfectly valid way of getting some reagents.

NOTE: You do not HAVE to make it personally and a Party member can do it for you. The important thing is the screen time, not necessarily the effort you put in to get it.

Now, with Magic material, they must be willingly given as a Gift or as payment for services rendered. They may also be forcefully taken via Right of conquest or secretly stolen via a great act of Larceny.

Basically? You or your circle member need to pull off something reasonably impressive for the Magic material to count. The exception is harvesting/making Magic material via Sorcery.

Craft Rewrite: http://madletter.net/rpg/exalted/maudova/Exalted 3rd/Craft_Rewrite.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks. Also is it limited to Solars only? There are a number of Homebrews and I want to try the Infernal one in particular.

As for Homebrews, please see these and tell us if they are ok?

MA HOMEBREW
You do not need to purchase the MA merit to buy MA. MA now uses the Brawl ability.

You do not have a separate skill for each MA i.e no need to buy it like an ability but need to purchase a MA as though it is a Specialty i.e 3xp and takes 2 weeks to learn WITH a teacher capable of teaching it. Once that is done, you can purchase charms for that MA as normal.

CRAFT HOMEBREW
You do not have a separate skill for each Craft i.e no need to buy it like an ability but need to purchase a Craft as though it is a Specialty i.e 3xp and takes 2 weeks to learn WITH a teacher capable of teaching it.

Craft cannot work without material. For example, if the player wants to make a elixer of limited immortality, then they will need material that resonant with the concept of immortality. The peaches of Immortality from the Gardens of the August Celestial Jade Emperor or the Golden Apples of myth from Greece would be considered to be resonant.

However, the material need not be magical in nature. Take the same example, a fossilized snake skin which would also count due to the myth of Gilgamesh and the snake that stole his herb of immortality.

The material need not be unique but they should not be common as well. It must take at least some in game screen time to gain the ingredient. You cannot simply walk into Walmart and buy them. Well, you or your circle member may buy them in bulk but you will still need to barter with Spirits and demons for them and otherwise put in some in-game effort to get them.

However, if the Storyteller has the material fall out of a plane and smack your character in the face? Then thank the Storyteller and go collect your reagent.

Can I grow ingredients? Short answer: yes, Long answer? Take a Lotus as an example.

You can grow a bunch of Lotus flowers but for them to count, you need to take in-game action to form an association with the materials. So you would need to build or roleplay ordering or hiring people to build a pond and roleplay ordering, or harvesting the Lotus seeds and then having them planted. You can always make a Working to make the Lotus followers grow faster and it would be a perfectly valid way of getting some reagents.

NOTE: You do not HAVE to make it personally and a Party member can do it for you. The important thing is the screen time, not necessarily the effort you put in to get it.

Now, with Magic material, they must be willingly given as a Gift or as payment for services rendered. They may also be forcefully taken via Right of conquest or secretly stolen via a great act of Larceny.

Basically? You or your circle member need to pull off something reasonably impressive for the Magic material to count. The exception is harvesting/making Magic material via Sorcery.

Only essence-wielders may attempt to create Artifacts and Manses. Doing so requires an extended roll. The difficulty, interval, and goal number are set by the rating of the Artifact or Manse, while the terminus is set by the crafter's available resources.

Making a 2-dot Artifact has a difficulty of 4, a goal number of 30, and allows one roll every two weeks or two rolls per session.
Making a 3-dot Artifact has a difficulty of 6, a goal number of 45, and allows one roll per month or per session.
Making a 4-dot Artifact has a difficulty of 8, a goal number of 60, and allows one roll per season or story.
Making a 5-dot Artifact has a difficulty of 10, a goal number of 75, and allows one roll every half-year or two stories.

Making a standard Manse is as difficult as making a 3-dot Artifact, while making a greater Manse is as difficult as making a 5-dot Artifact.

Repairing a broken Artifact is generally as difficult as building an Artifact one dot lower in rating.

To find the terminus for an Artifact-creation roll, add together the factors for their workshop and their materials. If you're missing either, you can't even start. Then add bonuses for extra time taken, the help of others, complementary abilities, relevant magic, and anything else that seems appropriate.

Workshop:
2 rolls for a basic workshop, with all the standard tools. A character using Craftsman Needs No Tools has this level of workshop for most projects. However, manses and extremely large Artifacts may require large numbers of labourers as part of the "workshop".
3 rolls for a master's workshop, which contains a high-quality example of every tool a normal craftsman in the field would ever want.
4 rolls for a supernaturally excellent workshop. These are rare in Creation, but a few Dynasts and gods and other stranger things have them.
5 rolls for one of the legendary First Age factory-cathedrals.

Materials:
2 rolls for having a bit of magical material.
3 rolls for having some magical material and a few thematically appropriate wondrous ingredients.
4 rolls for having plenty of magical materials and at least one genuinely impressive wondrous ingredient.
5 rolls for having an embarrassing surplus of suitable ingredients.
6 rolls for having something that makes the ST say "holy shit".

Bonuses:
+1 roll for working with a master assistant or a team of competent workers.
+2 rolls for working with supernaturally excellent help. Sometimes such helpers will have Charms that provide bonuses above and beyond this one.
+1 roll for taking four times as much time as is standard.
+2 rolls for taking twenty times as much time as is standard.
+1 roll for having an Ability related to the Artifact at 5, or at 3 with a relevant specialty.
+1 roll for having a Charm, spell, anima power, or other magical ability that's related to the Artifact.

The Agnostic keyword indicates that the Charm with it functions equally well under the original rules or my rewritten rules. Most of them are aimed at giving people something non-Artifact-related to do with Craft. As a general rule Agnostic Charms only require specialties and other Agnostic Charms. If a Charm requires Craft 3 and a specialty in painting, and you have Craft: Painting 3, that counts.
both of these sets of rules look good. approved

Back