General Video Gaming Recs and Discussion

Hykal94

Orange Estus Kitteh
I can't be bothered to make a new thread for every game I wanna talk about so here's a big ol megathread where you can discuss whatever.

I see the Atom RPG and Meeple Station is on sale, the latter being early access. Can anyone here share an opinion? Atom RPG looks janky as all hell but seems to have the spirit of early Fallout. Meeple Station is EA, and I'm not willing to shell the cash for both of them, just one.

Also if you were wondering, My Friend Pedro is very bananas. Only got half an hour in, but this is very much a short and sweet game like Katana Zero is.

Atom RPG is janky and sometimes have strange event triggers. You can't chose all the good options to get good area ending outcomes. Some bits of the story is rather :mob: " no innocent are harmed if I toss everyone in this area into hell."
Quest combat will be unwinnable if you triggered it at low level. Random combat sometimes did the same. Ended up cheating just to go through the stories quickly. Overall Atom does scratch the Fallout itch, but eh.

Anyone know of any good city-building games, preferably ones that don't have a small fortune's worth of DLC?

I feel like building a city

Cities Skylines, if you don't have it already. There's DLC but nowhere as required as Paradox games or EA's Sims.

Not having the larger ones seems to leave out quite a bit though, such as Campus.

It's also worth noting that Cities Skylines is on all three current-gen consoles, if that's more your speed.

The only console I have is a Nintendo Switch, I mostly use my PC for gaming

Also, it can be any city building game, things like time-frame, setting, and such doesn't matter to me.

Yep, it's on there. I think the DLC offerings might be a bit limited, but it does have the advantage of portability, assuming you don't have a laptop.

I do have a laptop but it's rather hard to keep clean and seems to constantly attract dust, so I tend to keep it at home for the sake of public appearance and use my Switch or phone for mobile gaming.

I'll look into City Skylines, it's made by Paradox from what I last recall, and I have played and enjoyed quite a few of their works so it's certainly worth a shot. I also heard it was released during a time when Sim City was still popular and was still able to grow, so it has to be decent at the very least.

I'll look into City Skylines, it's made by Paradox from what I last recall, and I have played and enjoyed quite a few of their works so it's certainly worth a shot. I also heard it was released during a time when Sim City was still popular and was still able to grow, so it has to be decent at the very least.
From what I can tell, the devs, Colossal Order, merely have a deal with Paradox to test, market, sell, and distribute their games.

Anyways, Cities: Skylines started out as an evolution of the devs' earlier games, Cities In Motion; in those two games, you merely designed a transportation system/network for a pre-established city (often a real life one) in order to complete goals. Skylines simply takes it to the next level and lets you design the city as well; the transportation mechanics in Skylines were initially pretty much copied and pasted from CiM, so they are actually rather robust.

Skylines had a interesting early history, in that Colossal Order actually approached Paradox with the idea about the time SimCity (2013) was publicly announced; it was put on the back burner while they tried to collectively come up with a design that could compete (because seriously, indie SimCity clone verses the real thing?), but then SimCity was released and, well, we all know how that one went. With that crisis for EA and Maxis, CO and Paradox went full steam ahead and ended up announcing Skylines in the same month EA shut down Maxis, and sales since release have proven which game was superior.

Although, if you can find a copy cheap enough, and don't mind dealing with Origin, SimCity 2013 is apparently somewhat fun with the expansion installed, and possibly a friend or friends to play with; it's just generally agreed that Skylines has the better core single player experience (also, no need for a online connection beyond whatever Steam or your console requires, something that can't be said for SimCity).

Reccing Grabbed By the Ghoulies to anyone who likes beat em ups or luigis mansion

Eventually someone besides myself will play this game

LazyGameReviewer has a bunch of City Skylines review. It is nowhere near as bad as Paradox's games.

I would wholeheartedly recommend Outer Wilds to basically everybody right now.

Outer Wilds (not the outer worlds) is a myst-like adventure game that takes place in a smallish solar system, where you use a spaceship to run around the various planetoids gathering information on the ancient species whose structures have been found in your solar system and to solve a problem that cropped up recently.

I won't go into anymore details because holy crap spoilers, but I will say it's an excellent exploration game whose puzzles revolve around piecing together a tangled web of information and figuring out the various worlds logic.

It is currently only on the Epic Store to my knowledge but will be on steam either later this year or early next year.

So Dan (formerly of Extra Credits), goes into stupendous amount of details, in analysing the parrying in the Souls games. Great stuff.

Also going through Underrail, after having that thing on my wishlist for years. Enjoying it, but crafting atm eludes me.

Also going through Underrail, after having that thing on my wishlist for years. Enjoying it, but crafting atm eludes me.

Fuck it. You can gather useful shit like a hoarder if you're actively looking around for loot. Getting your lockpicking up is always a good move because while not every locker is a winner this isnt one of those games that expects you to pick level 5 lock for a randomized can of dog food.

I'm sure more advanced weapons and armor require some lev of crafting. But personally I think that getting by with wits and tools instead of wading into combat is the funnest way to play.

Last edited:
Fuck it. You can gather useful shit like a hoarder if you're actively looking around for loot. Getting your lockpicking up is always a good move because while not every locker is a winner this isnt one of those games that expects you to pick level 5 lock for a can of dog food.

I'm sure more advanced weapons and armor require some lev of crafting. But personally I think that getting by with wits and tools instead of wading into combat is the funnest way to play.

I'm investing in Guns and the bare minimum in Throwing. Is viable to pick it up Melee? No interest in Crossbows tho.

If you're a fan of classic dungeon crawl roguelikes, I can't recommend Brogue and Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup highly enough. Brogue is better for a short, tight experience, while Dungeon Crawl is an excellent long-term experience in the vein of NetHack(but without all of the stupid bullshit that makes NetHack frustrating to play).

They're also both completely free and developed by their communities with open-source code, so there's that!

Last edited:
I'm investing in Guns and the bare minimum in Throwing. Is viable to pick it up Melee? No interest in Crossbows tho.

Depends? Melee got excellent burst damage when built well, but it eats heavily into points and perks. What melee doesn't do well is fighting groups of goons packing firepower and grenades.
Crafting for me is more late game investment when I needed boost in psy power, grinding for high quality blue bug shell ain't fun.

I do hear it's super viable. But I don't know how much level up juice you need for that and I think the way a lot of areas are designed really encourage having points in a variety of skills like stealth, guns, throwing and fighting like a terrorist.

Ammo can be a little tight if I'm remembering correctly, but again if you're properly scrounging for ammo and stuff to sell to buy ammo you can keep your head well above water.

Stealth may be the only thing I'm not going for, s are tailoring and biology. I intend to do a full melee run with drugs later on.

For psionics, I'm investing whatever I fancy, but mostly on the thermo sfuff. I thought of doing the mind control/debuffs but I'm not feeling it atm. I want to try all of em, but I think sticking to thermo and cyros will do for now.

Also I don't get the armor stuff. From what guides I skimmed, I'm clearly doing heavy armour. Is this a go all light or go all heavy sort of game?

Can anyone recommend me a good horror game?

I'd be happy with something atmospheric. I have nothing against jump-scares and such, but I prefer the kind of horror based around tension and suspense.
Like, a older horror movie type of horror? I was sorta hoping you would say something like that, so may I suggest a somewhat older game, Alien Isolation? It's one part first person survival horror (with a major retro aesthetic, keeping it somewhat true to the older movies), and one part "don't get caught by the almost unstoppable monster xenomorph prowling around the station, hunting you down". Oh, and one part "deal with everything else going wrong on the station".

And I do mean "almost unstoppable" and "hunting"; the xenomorph will outright ignore most of your arsenal, and the most effective things against it will either distract it or make it retreat for a bit. As for the "hunting" part... the game doesn't tell it where you are; if it knows your location, 99% of the time it means you've screwed up somehow and either failed to hide correctly or did something to attract its attention to you.

Stealth may be the only thing I'm not going for,

Yeah, that might screw you over. There are a number of main quest or major quest areas where if you can't bypass combat but also can't hack it against the enemies then you're kinda fucked. I got in that situation a couple of times because I'm bad at building characters and it's not fun. I mean, trying to finagle my way out of those situations was kinda fun. But still, that can suck.

The game's great at rewarding a flexible playstyle where to you have lots of different options but if you screw it up then you're gonna have a bad time.

The games design as a whole is a kind of a double edged sword. Its really good at throwing new and different situations for you to have to deal with, which makes it a game full of fun and interesting challenges you have to think to overcome. But this also makes the game unpredictable and it will fuck you over eventually if you haven't perfectly optimized your character to be a Swiss Army knife.

Last edited:
Back