Final Fantasy XV - The legend meets its match

Ford Prefect

What is Project Zohar?
Pronouns
He/Him
So anyway a huge pile of new marketing material is out for Final Fantasy XV. An event revealed a number of things, from a five part anime depicting the party on their travels:

A trailer for a prequel movie, Kingsglaive:

Snippets of the 'Platinum Demo' showcasing the technical achievements of the game through the incredibly adorable medium of kid Noctis messing around:

And most importantly of all, a new trailer for the game itself, featuring a quite lovely view of the world and its characters set to a cover of 'Stand by Me' by Florence + The Machine, which is apparently the theme song of the game. But even that isn't the most amazing thing about the video, which I'll leave you to discover yourselves:

I've also heard that Episode Duscae 2.0 is out, but I haven't had a chance to check just yet.

The world is ever changing ...

how long do you want to bet it'll be before "Noctis-is-Sasuke" fanfics start popping up?

Im kinda interested in FF15 just because the designs actually look sane, even if the character designs and the trailers make it look like the party is a post 2000 alt-rock band doing a really bland music video.

Last edited:
They were actually hiring QA testers for the English version and were looking at potential QA testers from Malaysia (since one of the lead designers is malaysian and it's his fault we have teh tarik in the game lol). Tossed my name in, since I had a fair bit of QA experience working for Domino's, but didn't make the cut, sadly.

On the other hand I get to experience this as a gamer sooooo....

(still hasn't finished any of the FFXIII games)

God, that cover of Stand By Me in the Story Trailer is so mediocre. I can appreciate the song choice but they needed a better cut. I say this as someone who thinks that Lungs is one of the best albums of the past decade.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but the fact that FFXV has a better Batmobile than the past 4 Batman movies and Arkham Knight is a wonderful thing.

Fixed that for you. :D;)

I'm just glad all the good games aren't coming out at one time. Has the game size been mentioned yet, so I know how much space to clear off my PS4?

Last edited:
A: "In 2016, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Persona 5, and The Last Guardian are all coming out."

B: "No."

A: ""

*pushes aside Final Fantasy topic*

Last Guardian news? Q4 2016?

*pulls Final Fantasy topic back*

Kingsglaive should really come out earlier then the game as coal for the hype train.

I really like the Kingsglaive trailer. It was... hm... atmospheric? The character designs are ridiculously realistic as well, I thought they're real actors until I remember the Warcraft movie trailer. Will it enter the Malaysian theaters though? I hope it will. Just don't show it in Mid Valley only, some people wants to watch it in Queensbay too. Argh.

Last edited:
A: "In 2016, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Persona 5, and The Last Guardian are all coming out."

B: "No."

A: ""

Say what you will about Enterprise, but it's got the best opening bar none of all the shows.

And FUCK YIIIISSSSSSS I AM THE HYPE

Say what you will about Enterprise, but it's got the best opening bar none of all the shows.

my god i thought i was the only one

So anyway a huge pile of new marketing material is out for Final Fantasy XV. An event revealed a number of things, from a five part anime depicting the party on their travels:

A trailer for a prequel movie, Kingsglaive:

Snippets of the 'Platinum Demo' showcasing the technical achievements of the game through the incredibly adorable medium of kid Noctis messing around:

And most importantly of all, a new trailer for the game itself, featuring a quite lovely view of the world and its characters set to a cover of 'Stand by Me' by Florence + The Machine, which is apparently the theme song of the game. But even that isn't the most amazing thing about the video, which I'll leave you to discover yourselves:

I've also heard that Episode Duscae 2.0 is out, but I haven't had a chance to check just yet.

The world is ever changing ...

This is pretty exciting tbh

About that Fabula Nova Crystallis tag up there, read that 15 is no longer part of the FNC

16 More Things We Learned About Final Fantasy 15
  • When Final Fantasy Versus XIII was announced, Square Enix said it would be part of Fabula Nova Crystallis, a series of Final Fantasy games connected by their themes and mythology. According to Tabata, Final Fantasy XV is no longer connected to the Fabula Nova mythology, and is thematically much different than Versus XIII was, though some design elements remain.

I was optimistic about XIII. Never again.

Y'all shall be my canaries in the coal mine that is modern final fantasy.

>mrw I finish the Platinum Demo
>

The graphics were pretty good, I guess? Once I got past the framerate choking every time a new environment loaded in, the awful draw-distance on the fragments or gems or whatever they were, and the molasses-slow camera control. Oh and the physics-enabled toy blocks in the dining room level that made my camera freak its shit and lock in place and invert my controls whenever I tried to interact with them at all.

I mean is this really how they wanted to showcase the product? A glorified tech demo that inflicts tedious "hold O to win eventually" combat on you and makes the only other gameplay be collecting collectables when the collectables don't actually do anything at all? When the silver plates unlocked I was eager to collect as many things as I could find in the hopes of unlocking gold and then platinum plates to see what cool things the demo would let me do. But no cool things came.

Okay there was one slightly cool thing once the game finally let me play as the real Noctis and fight that boss. But it was too little too late, and didn't really give me a proper sense for what the game would be like. The demo was just some random bullshit they put together that succeeded only in reminding me that it's been 3000 years since a mainline Kingdom Hearts and that I really want Square to get their fingers out of their asses and release 3.

A good demo would've been that Episode Duscae demo or whatever it was called. But that still resides behind the paywall of another shitty FF so that stubbornly remains out of the reach of the general public who might want to get a sense of what FFXV would be like without a menu prompt to preorder FFXV and a second prompt after finishing the demo to preorder FFXV. Overall the demo just felt kind of patronizing, as if Square still thinks that in this day and age high-res textures and good lighting will make a customer cream their pants and instantly shell out full price for a video game. I remain, as always, highly cautious about 'that game that was called FF Versus XIII back when it was announced ten years ago and has a storied development history involving Nomura trying to turn the game into a fucking musical before Hajime Tabata managed to muzzle him and also people are out in the field photographing pretty rocks to model and render'.

Let me rephrase, then. Shitty port of another FF game. Because from what I've heard, you'd get better results slotting the Type-0 ISO into PPSSPP than you would buying the 'HD' version.
Sad, but true. The only thing that was really 'remodeled' were the Class-0 character models, which just really made them out-of-place with everything else considering everything is the same, only upscaled. Kinda badly at that, considering it couldn't even use the whole screen.

It's a good game, and honestly I felt like it was worth what I paid for it, but a terrible/lazy port. Also, on release the camera was unbearable, thankfully they patched it to usable.

Sad, but true. The only thing that was really 'remodeled' were the Class-0 character models, which just really made them out-of-place with everything else considering everything is the same, only upscaled. Kinda badly at that, considering it couldn't even use the whole screen.

It's a good game, and honestly I felt like it was worth what I paid for it, but a terrible/lazy port. Also, on release the camera was unbearable, thankfully they patched it to usable.
Man I remember playing the original on my PSP...

Time to get the game then on my spanking new mobile, since my PSP died.

I thought the Platinum Demo was cute tbh

Episode Duscae, particularly after the 2.0 update, was super cool and once you grok how the combat system works it's actually a lot of fun to get into fights (though it still needed polish). The one thing about the Platinum Demo that made me worry is how there were selectable weapons as opposed to equipping Noctis with an arsenal that strings together like in Episode Duscae. It's hard to tell how representative the Platinum Demo will be of combat in the final product, but the glimpses of the UI in the most recent trailers tend to suggest it moving towards that model. I think that'll be a shame - I actually really like picking weapons for the 'crush' and 'ravage' slots and whatever.

Eh, personally I'm fine with the Platinum weapon system replacing the Duscae one. You're still able to use the same weapons for the same moves you want to use them for, just need to switch to them during combat of setting them up beforehand now.

Not a big fan of how magic is limited casts instead of being tied to the MP bar though. Just doesn't feel right. But, I haven't completely explored Platinum and some guys on another forum mentioned some spells that sound interesting to play with so who knows. Also, I missed some weapons.

Last edited:
Back