Extra History: Dividing the Middle East

South Sea Bubble I, II, II, IV, V

cB557

voOOP
So, a while back, Extra Credits got commissioned to do some episodes on Roman History as a way to promote one of the Total War games. They did the series, it was pretty good, and they enjoyed making it and decided to keep doing history stuff, and Extra History was born.
They got some historians to help with the whole history thing who I'm pretty sure they name in the videos but I'm too lazy to sift through those to find their names, James Portnoy does the script writing, Daniel Floyd does the narrating, and depending on when the episode came out the art can be by Allison Theus, LeeLee Scaldaferri, Scott DeWitt, or Dan Jones.
Extra Credits can be found here, and the playlist for Extra History is here.
There's a separate thread for everything else from Extra Credits, including Extra Play, which would be here.

So, Extra Credits just finished up their series on the South Sea Bubble, and after a quick search it seems we have no thread on it. Seeing as it's pretty great, I figured I would set up a thread for it.

Last edited:
Zulu Empire I: Shaka Zulu Becomes King
Extra Credit has finished up it's amazing tale of the South Sea Company and has moved to a new topic. The rise and fall of the Zulu Empire. Hence the title. While this is probably not going to be filled with as much borderline insane greed and "it was Walpole" moments as the South Sea Company, it still looks like it's gonna be an interesting series. Also nice to see the Paetron voters picking more obscure subjects.

Intestinal Beetle Heaven.

Zulu Empire II: The Wrath of Shaka Zulu
And so, we arrive at the next chapter, where we learn that you don't actually need European influence to be an utter asshole. You just need to be... a human. (I am saying this because in previosu video, they said Europeans had destabilizing effect on the area and now only mention of Europeans is "Made deal with Europeans and then murdered them when it time to pay up")

Zulu Empire IV: Last Stands and Changing Fortunes; also, Zulu Empire: Lies
And the latest episode!

And... sorry if I feel not impressed with the fact that Zulus won with 20 000 men against 1 800 men who didn't even have a military commander ready and whose commanders had not done basic stuff they normally did.

So yeah... "Crushed british forces"... sounds more like "beat unprepared half of the army"

Last edited by a moderator:

Pretty interesting.

I'm curious if the Deems are sort of like political parties what views did the different ones represent? Or is it not that simple?

From the video I didn't really get the feeling that they were political parties I got the feeling that they were more like political machines.

Pretty interesting.

I'm curious if the Deems are sort of like political parties what views did the different ones represent? Or is it not that simple?

They represented which team they wanted to win.

They weren't 'parties' so much as... gangs. The blues and the greens didn't stand for political issues except in so far as the major patrons of the teams used them to further their political agenda (as Justinian did).

From the video I didn't really get the feeling that they were political parties I got the feeling that they were more like political machines.
"Factions" is probably about the best term for them. They were a combination of fanatical sports team fans, political parties, and organised crime.

For a modern analogue you might have heard of, you've got the Jamaican Posses, which tend to be associated with Jamaican political parties.

"Factions" is probably about the best term for them. They were a combination of fanatical sports team fans, political parties, and organised crime.

For a modern analogue you might have heard of, you've got the Jamaican Posses, which tend to be associated with Jamaican political parties.

They were also very linked to the patronage system still very prominent in roman society in a way I'm not sure any modern entity really emulates.

Ohh this should be interesting. The Eastern Roman empire is always a fascinating subject and Emperor Justinian is probably one of the most interesting emperors. Well interesting in a way that's not also horrifying (Like Justinian II, horrible emperor but goddamn do you have to admire his determination). So this should be most enjoyable, and probably more than a little confusing.

Shame it's far too early for Walpole, though someone like Walpole probably wouldn't have gotten far during the height of Justianian's reign.

Ohh this should be interesting. The Eastern Roman empire is always a fascinating subject and Emperor Justinian is probably one of the most interesting emperors. Well interesting in a way that's not also horrifying (Like Justinian II, horrible emperor but goddamn do you have to admire his determination). So this should be most enjoyable, and probably more than a little confusing.

Shame it's far too early for Walpole, though someone like Walpole probably wouldn't have gotten far during the height of Justianian's reign.

Pfffft. Zeno the isaurian for the win

Belissarius is around at this time, right? I know it's a wee bit early, but how good of a general was he?

Belissarius is around at this time, right? I know it's a wee bit early, but how good of a general was he?
The above mentioned Nika riots were the incident that made his name essentially.
Belisarius was pretty much the epitome of what a Byzantine General was meant to be, with guile and deception prized on the battlefield over lust for glory, preserving and leveraging smaller, professional forces against larger enemies, and, importantly, loyal, even when his Emperor was being a dick.
He wasn't flawless, but he achieved a massive amount with restricted resources.

I wonder if you could get the playstation and xbox factions to overthrow the US government.

Back