Discussing the "One D&D" Playtest

Pronouns
He/Him
I guess this could go under the D&D megathread, but to me it makes sense to have a separate thread to discuss it. (If only so people can talk about this specific, significant, changing topic without getting interrupted by people who want to use the D&D thread to talk about D&D games they are currently playing.)

For those who don't know: "One D&D" is what Wizards of the Coast is calling their upcoming edition of D&D, which will inevitably (and righteously) be renamed to either 5.5 or 6e, depending on how different it is from D&D Next 5e. You can get the playtest material here if you have a D&D Beyond account. (Like, the free kind, you don't need paid features.)
At the time of posting, the only playtest materials available are "character origins" (races, backgrounds, languages, basic rules) and "expert classes" (bards, rangers, rogues, and a general information about classes).

I'm not just posting this thread because I want other people to talk about it—though to be clear, if this ends up just being a thread where I post my opinions, I will be sad. Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is that I have opinions on the 5.5 playtest material. To start with...right now, it feels more like 5.5 than 6e. I would welcome debate on such an irrelevant and unquantifiable topic, though; it sounds like a fun discussion.

Anyways.

Character Origins

When I heard that origins were races combined with backgrounds, I was happy. It didn't sound like a perfect solution to D&D's race problem, but ambiguity as to whether certain bonuses were from the background or the race would placate both sides. Moreover, and for me more importantly, the inevitable splatbook expansions would probably give each major race more and more origin options, until there were no traits that all origins had in common.

Then I found out that "origins" just means "the part of your character sheet with race and background" and was disappointed.

But re: D&D's race problem: There have been improvements! While every race still has certain innate characteristics that make them immutably different from other races, they're less overwhelming. In particular, ability score modifiers have been moved to Backgrounds, where they belong. (It never made sense that being a High Elf made you smarter than spending your pre-adventuring as a scholar.)

Subraces Lineages are also (generally) less important than in 5e, which I have mixed feelings about. On one hand, different elves (for instance) having meaningfully different mechanical advantages diluted the sense that elves had monolithic innate abilities; on the other hand, it's not like real-life racists think all people of race X are identical. (Obvious examples include hierarchies among the "white race" [e.g. Nordic vs French] and how the British Raj identified "martial races" among Indian ethnicities.) On the mechanical side, I like modular character creation systems, and significant subraces feel more modular.

That's super subjective. Less subjective: All lineages are crammed into tables, and some lineages really don't fit. I'm looking at the gnomes, especially rock gnomes, which tried to cram four and a half paragraphs into one table cell. That is silly. Stick spells and energy types and such in a table, sure, but put unique abilities in normal paragraphs.

Away from structure, into content. The races are mostly the same as the 5e PHB races, with some small exceptions:
  • The variant human is now the standard human.
  • The default flavor is still Forgotten Realms, but there's a nod to the fact that D&D has other settings, where the races can be different. Cool.
  • Half-races are gone. There are elves, orcs, and a note that all races can interbreed (with hand-wavey rules about hybrid racial traits).
    • Aside from the hand-waviness of the hybrid rules, I think this is a slight improvement. No more favoritism for human/elf and human/orc hybrids just because they date back to AD&D!
    • Also, with orcs as a core race, one of the core "evil" races is playable by default. Well, maybe "evil" is the wrong descriptor to use, considering tieflings. But speaking of tieflings...
  • All the anti-edgelords finally have a core celestial race to balance out the tieflings. What's an Aasimar? No, these are ardlings, which are different from aasimar because...the second letter in their name is 'r'? They have animal features? They can fly, briefly?
    • My best guess is that they're trying to combine the celestial nature of the aasimar with the "wing-bird-guy" nature of the aarakocra, which lets them remove troublesome at-will flight from the latter without actually changing the aarakocra. Still weird.

That leaves backgrounds. They're mostly like 5e's, with three big exceptions.

First, as noted above, they get ability score bonuses. Now, instead of asking what races can make class X viable and what backgrounds give little perks that compliment it, players will ask what backgrounds can make class X viable and what races give complimentary perks. As you might have guessed above, I think this is good.

Second, instead of a totally unique and almost useless background feature, each background comes with a specific bonus feat. On one hand, unique features are neat; on the other hand, I literally never found a chance to use them and usually forgot they existed. Also: Every character starting with a feat is no longer a house rule.

Third, while a bunch of premade backgrounds exist, there are also explicit rules for custom backgrounds. This forces all backgrounds to be formulaic; two ability bonuses, two skill proficiencies, etc. But it also means you can just write your own background, if your backstory doesn't quite fit anything in the book. Which is less likely to be a problem; the formulaic construction also makes it easy for WotC to write absolute loads of backgrounds. Some are splitting what were previously one background, like entertainer/gladiator. Some are a variant of an existing background; "guide" is kinda like a hermit who interacts with people. Several are just common professions. Then there's "cultist" and "pilgrim," which don't fit into any category I can think of, but they're new and I like their inclusion.

One criticism: It feels weird to define languages by background and not race if the languages are still gonna be named after the races. But overall, I like this a lot.

Oh, and general rules. Most look like 5e's, but I note two differences: There's a generic Slowed condition, and spell lists are by spell type (arcane/divine/primal) instead of by class. Here's hoping 5.5 keeps plundering good ideas from PF2.

Oh, and natural 20s grant Inspiration. Okay. And there's a simple term for "ability check, attack roll, or skill check". Good.

Expert Classes

General class thoughts:
  • The existence of explicit Class Groups, which may be referenced by other rules, is...interesting. Let's see how and how often this comes up.
  • Every four levels (except 20, plus 19) now gives a Feat instead of an Ability Score Increase. Feat is snappier, and I like that feats are now considered the default. Since, y'know, almost everyone liked feats better than a +1 to most relevant rolls. They're just fun!
  • Not sure whether I dislike the "XTH LEVEL: ABILITY NAME" headers because they're unfamiliar or because they're kinda dumb. I guess it's nice that they don't need to squish a "Starting at Xth level" into every ability description (or assume you'll reference the table).
  • I definitely like that there are suggested spells for spellcasting classes to choose at 1st level. I'll ignore them, but it's handy for new players.
  • It seems like classes are getting more abilities from their subclasses, or getting them earlier? If this is a consistent trend, I like it. It makes classes' modularity more meaningful, and as I've mentioned, I like modular character creation.
  • "Subclass" is now an official term. No more bard colleges or monk paths, at least in playtest material. That's sad; the terminology added a bit of flavor to the classes.
  • The (a) and (b) choices for class-based gear selection are gone. Worse, there's not a "Pick X kind of weapon" in sight! This makes character creation less modular, and you know how I feel about that.

Specific class thoughts:
  • Bardic Inspiration can heal, without needing to learn a healing spell. Nice that their role as backup healer is more formally acknowledged.
  • Bards "prepare" spells. It's not clear if spontaneous casting has been removed, or if WotC is making bards wizardlier. They used to be magic because they studied magic lore, like a wizard; if that paradigm is returning, it makes sense that they'd cast spells like a wizard, too.
  • Rangers can choose to have Expertise in any skill, not just naturey ones. The book suggests Survival and Stealth, two very naturey ones, but it's still interesting that it doesn't say something like "Pick two from the following list: Animal Handling, Medicine, Perception, Stealth, or Survival". Not interesting-bad, mind you!
  • Favored Enemy/Terrain is gone. I imagine it'll be back in a ranger subclass eventually. I like that rangers don't have to staple that "I have a specific prey that I hunt in a specific location" idea onto their character to be a martial wilderness guy.
  • It feels a little weird that rogues don't get more expertise than bards or rangers. Reliable Talent isn't nothing, but they don't feel skill-focused enough to be The Skill Class, nor sneaky enough to be The Sneaky Class. I'm not sure what their identity is as a class, beyond "the Expert Class that doesn't act like Aragorn or Prince Edward Chris von Muir".

Also...
  • More feats! Including Epic Boons, 5.5's way of adding epic progression without going as absurd as 3.5's ELH. Much as I like the absurdity of ELH, bonus feats seem like a strictly better way to handle this kind of thing. Or maybe multiclassing.
  • Barkskin grants regenerating temporary hit points, which makes it less situational and more unique.
  • New exhaustion rules. Notable among them, a flat -1/level to all d20 tests. A temporary effect which grants a numeric bonus or penalty to rolls would be unremarkable in 3.5, but 5e avoided them. Also, you can survive more exhaustion.
  • Heroic Inspiration, which gives advantage like Inspiration, but you gain it by rolling a natural 1, and can have both Inspiration and Heroic Inspiration at the same time. I like the idea of giving players something after suffering a critical miss, but A. critical misses aren't a thing and B. this game is accumulating too many features called Inspiration.
  • Light weapons can be meaningfully dual-wielded without spending a bonus action on the second attack. Neat.
  • New actions for using specific skills, and a Magic action. Okay.

Overall, I'm feeling positive about 5.5. Mostly in extremely generic and unremarkable ways, but it seems like a net improvement to 5e.

Seems like an evolutionary step not really worth calling a new edition.

Par for the course for D&D I guess.

Every four levels (except 20, plus 19) now gives a Feat instead of an Ability Score Increase. Feat is snappier, and I like that feats are now considered the default. Since, y'know, almost everyone liked feats better than a +1 to most relevant rolls. They're just fun!

No one I know in 3 seperate gaming groups over the course of a decade used feats for at least the first 8-12 levels. Feats are what you take after you get your ability scores up enough that you have a good chance of success on a roll no matter what.

No one I know in 3 seperate gaming groups over the course of a decade used feats for at least the first 8-12 levels. Feats are what you take after you get your ability scores up enough that you have a good chance of success on a roll no matter what.
There are a few really good feats - the ones that let you take a -5 to hit to do +10 damage, and Heavy Armor Mastery is best taken earlier when it's most potent. But yeah, maxing out your To-Hit ability is what most people do.

Huh. The gaming groups I'm in tend to prefer feats (until they run out of good ones, but we don't usually play at high enough levels for that to happen), and the charop guides I read focus on feats, but I guess that's not as universal as I thought.

Nothing about the 5.5 edition leads me to believe that they are going to fix the caster/martial disparity, which is one of the bigger problems of modern dnd.

edit- nor does it lead me to believe they are going to fix the other issue, offloading all the work to the DM.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the caster/martial disparity was present all the way back to AD&D, just different.

Which isn't to say that it's not a problem in modern D&D; 4e took a decent crack at it, but its solution is probably not going to get implemented any time soon. It's just not a problem exclusive to modern D&D.

My understanding is that the caster/martial disparity was present all the way back to AD&D, just different.

Which isn't to say that it's not a problem in modern D&D; 4e took a decent crack at it, but its solution is probably not going to get implemented any time soon. It's just not a problem exclusive to modern D&D.
It was much less of a problem pre-3.X. That's not to say it wasn't a problem—there's a reason almost all those legacy characters you see named are wizards and not fighters–but a lot of factors made it much less prominent, especially at the levels most people played: non-martial characters were substantially more fragile, action economy and character building differences made it much harder to safely cast spells in combat, magic-users had to jump through a lot of hoops to find or research spells, many other classes got free combat-usable minions of some kind as they leveled up, much of the best equipment was arbitrarily locked to specific character types, most of the best spells had substantial arbitrary costs or limitations baked into their mechanics, etc etc.

The team that made 3.0 wiped out most of the factors that limited spellcasters and eliminated most of the factors that specifically increased the overall power of non-spellcasters in the name of regularizing the rules, and by all accounts they did it entirely by accident because they never bothered to look at the implications of anything past the most straightforward fly-and-blast wizard and heal-heal-heal cleric.

Last edited:
The team that made 3.0 wiped out most of the factors that limited spellcasters and eliminated most of the factors that specifically increased the overall power of non-spellcasters in the name of regularizing the rules, and by all accounts they did it entirely by accident because they never bothered to look at the implications of anything past the most straightforward fly-and-blast wizard and heal-heal-heal cleric.
Yeah there were a loooot of little things. Some of them I'm not even sure were formalized in the rules. Like, if you go back far enough, wizards were just not able to cast spells past party members because they were assumed not to be able to see past them (unless they were dwarves or halflings). 3.x saw wizards being able to place their fireballs on precise grid squares. Of course, Fireball wasn't even the scary part, compared to Save or Die / Save or Suck and being able to choose weak saving throws...

Feats, the things that were supposed to empower martial classes, ended up being a massive stealth nerf, as things like disarming, tripping etc. became gated behind feats and specific builds, whereas before, anyone could take them. Standardized ability score bonuses led to MAD (in AD&D and earlier, stat bonuses were relegated to higher stats and often less impactful, unless you got the famous 18/00 Strength...) while casters could just max Int/Wis/Cha. Out of combat utility got cut too, because the old "At level 10 you get a castle and a bunch of warriors under your command" sort of stuff got subsumed into Leadership, which anyone could take.

There was just... a lot that contributed to it.

by all accounts they did it entirely by accident because they never bothered to look at the implications of anything past the most straightforward fly-and-blast wizard and heal-heal-heal cleric.

"We did all of one playtest and the playtesters acted like it was still AD&D and didn't use most of their new capabilities."

Honestly, I'm petty sure WoTC's D&D dev team still hasn't figured out how to productively respond to feedback.

Didn't their one druid playtester focus on a throwing scimitar build or something? I remember hearing that a few times when people talked about how busted 3.5's druid was.

The thing that leapt out at me the most from the One D&D playtest is that because everyone gets a free feat at first level and the Lightly Armored feat has no prerequisites, anyone can pick up medium armor + shield proficiency right away. That is almost certainly going to make the martial/caster disparity even worse. We can pretty much say goodbye to squishy casters even in more casual games.

And martials actually got nerfed. The usual standbys- Polearm Mastery/Great Weapon Master and Crossbow Expert/Sharpshooter are half feats now, so they technically got a bit of a boost there, but because they removed the power attack element the damage they let you do is actually reduced and you can't take them at character creation anymore so most classes won't even be able to get them both until level 8, when a lot of campaigns will already be drawing to a close.

Rogues in particular got really shafted because they can't use sneak attack outside their turn anymore, which is basically cutting their potential damage in half. I also notice that the new critical hit rules won't apply to things like sneak attack or smites, because apparently that was what needed nerfing.

Some other standouts include not being able to use more than one type of movement speed on the same turn and Banishment not actually being able to banish anything anymore.

Honestly? It's pretty dire. Sure, maybe some of this will get fixed before release. Some things have already been tweaked in response to player feedback. But I'm not optimistic.

Last edited:
Having competitive damage locked behind specific feats or strategies enabling offturn attacks is a bad idea. If the actual classes are boosted sufficiently, it'll work. Otherwise... We'll see.

That's the question, isn't it? The builds non-casting classes used to use are being nerfed; will anything take their place? Ideally something that you'd think of without help from charop subreddits?

There's always going to be some way to game the system for Real Ultimate Power, so don't sweat the 5e standards being cut up too tough. :V

The martial/caster disparity is basically a part of D&D's identity at this point. It felt less bad in pre-2k D&Ds due to a lack of hit point bloat, the higher chance of a martial getting a nutso magical item due to random treasure rolls, and general survivability being shit enough Wizards weren't making it to their sauce.

There's also supposed to be an overhaul of all the spells coming sometime in the future of the playtest. If they take the same approach to nerfing all the charop darlings into the ground, that could do a lot to help out the general balance, even if if doesn't address some of the fundamental issues with casters v martials.

But, I'm not really sure if nerfing the various common charop builds is actually going to matter much. Fundamentally, balance in a co-op game with a GM isn't really that important-a lot of players aren't coming to D&D for hard as nails tactical combat in the first place, and a DM has a range of options to stop the really busted stuff from causing too much trouble at the table. Fixing up some of the underpowered options is probably more helpful, making some character concepts that weren't fun to play more powerful, but I feel like One D&D has to do more than a large 5e balance pass to justify it's existence.

Last edited:
As I see it, there are two major issues with poor balance in games like D&D.

1. It leads to trap options that can hurt player enjoyment. This is bad because it makes things harder on the players who stumble into these because if someone chooses a subclass they found flavorful and evocative, but the mechanical implementation doesn't adequately support the character they wanted to create, that can be really disappointing, even if the DM isn't intending to challenge them. This happened to me; I made a melee rogue a while back and got really annoyed when I realized that it was much harder to make the playstyle work for less payoff than it would have been to just use a bow.
  2. It results in a system that isn't very good at emulating the style of heroic fantasy it's meant to support. When you can do more damage by firing a hand crossbow at point blank range than by swinging a greatsword at someone, something has gone wrong somewhere. The iconic image of the wizard is of a figure bedecked in robes and carrying a staff, but the rules allow you to be a much stronger character by running around in armor and using a shield all the time and there's no reason not to do that. A system like D&D should reward players for leaning into archetypal fantasy roles, not punish them for it.

If they take the same approach to nerfing all the charop darlings into the ground, that could do a lot to help out the general balance,

I mean from a mathematical standpoint maybe. The problem with "nerfing all the charop darlings into the ground" is that the end result is often that no one gets to feel cool and combat is a slog because all the options for "doing cool/significant shit" we're taken out and shot.

This was something that 3pp publishers found out in pathfinder pretty quick. No one wanted to buy a supplement of "80 more ways to still suck at everything."

It's better to have some balance issue than to have the agency issue of "none of my choices matter and I feel like a loser because my character isn't good at achieving things."

It results in a system that isn't very good at emulating the style of heroic fantasy it's meant to support. When you can do more damage by firing a hand crossbow at point blank range than by swinging a greatsword at someone, something has gone wrong somewhere.

The problem with this line or argument is that D&D has historically been pretty awful for simulating almost all the popular epic fantasies of other media. 3e let anyone borrow the system to try to fit to licenses with the OGL and there were like *maybe* enough success that you needed to use all 5 fingers on one hand out of literally thousands of entries. D&D is built on assumptions/legacy code that simply do not jive with how most fantasy fiction does worldbuilding and magic.

As noted in the general D&D thread, at this point D&D's genre is D&D.

Going back to the example of Polearm Mastery and the rest of those feats, I do actually think those are pretty bad feats for the game. But they aren't a problem because they're overpowered, which is what the current dev team seems to think. The problem is that they incentivize only ever using a few specific weapon types, which reduces build diversity. What they should really be doing is either bringing other feats up to match or making these feats applicable to a wider range of fighting styles. Then we might get to see more dual wielders or sword and board characters, without having to worry about martials falling even further behind casters.

It was much less of a problem pre-3.X. That's not to say it wasn't a problem—there's a reason almost all those legacy characters you see named are wizards and not fighters–but a lot of factors made it much less prominent, especially at the levels most people played: non-martial characters were substantially more fragile, action economy and character building differences made it much harder to safely cast spells in combat, magic-users had to jump through a lot of hoops to find or research spells, many other classes got free combat-usable minions of some kind as they leveled up, much of the best equipment was arbitrarily locked to specific character types, most of the best spells has substantial arbitrary costs or limitations baked into their mechanics, etc etc.

Yeah there were a loooot of little things. Some of them I'm not even sure were formalized in the rules. Like, if you go back far enough, wizards were just not able to cast spells past party members because they were assumed not to be able to see past them (unless they were dwarves or halflings). 3.x saw wizards being able to place their fireballs on precise grid squares. Of course, Fireball wasn't even the scary part, compared to Save or Die / Save or Suck and being able to choose weak saving throws...

Feats, the things that were supposed to empower martial classes, ended up being a massive stealth nerf, as things like disarming, tripping etc. became gated behind feats and specific builds, whereas before, anyone could take them. Standardized ability score bonuses led to MAD (in AD&D and earlier, stat bonuses were relegated to higher stats and often less impactful, unless you got the famous 18/00 Strength...) while casters could just max Int/Wis/Cha. Out of combat utility got cut too, because the old "At level 10 you get a castle and a bunch of warriors under your command" sort of stuff got subsumed into Leadership, which anyone could take.

There was just... a lot that contributed to it.
It's kind of remarkable that almost every single change that WotC made when they built 3rd edition (except for narrow nerfs to very specific spells) incrementally tipped the balance towards spellcasters and away from fighters. Even the saving throw tables; saving throw difficulty against a spell didn't scale with caster level, so in high-level play, saving throws usually succeeded.

A lot is that they made non-warriors much better at fighting. In 3rd edition, a non-fighter with good stats - or good buffs - could stand in the line of battle just as well as a typical fighter. In 2nd edition, a non-warrior with good starting stats and lucky hit point rolls could fill in for a fighter in the front line for a few levels in early game (e.g., 1st-4th level) but would drop off pretty hard at higher levels (particularly 7th level and later).

The big central reason for that is that a character being very squishy and having trouble handling being face to face with an enemy in melee are pain points, and WotC really was looking for specific player pain points. The big-picture balance between different types of characters was a much less specific sort of malady.

Oh, and if anyone wants an example of just how bad caster supremacy can get in 5e, I'll just quote myself from another post:
So to start off, pass without trace gives a flat +10 bonus to stealth. This is in a system where flat bonuses are fairly rare and usually pretty minor. At level 3, when druids first get this spell, the best a rogue with expertise can have is 7, barring high rolled stats, and they won't get reliable talent for another 8 levels. At level 3, a druid with no stealth proficiency and negative DEX will still be doing better than the best possible rogue. And the druid can still wild shape on top of that.
If a player makes a rogue because they envisioned playing a master of stealth, they can be completely overshadowed by any druid or ranger. That really sucks. It feels awful when you realize that the character concept you wanted to play is inferior at the things it's supposed to good at than someone who wasn't even trying to build a stealth character, just because they get spells. I don't really expect any game to be perfectly balanced, but a discrepancy as blatant as this absolutely is a problem.

Back