Digging Up Problems (IC Thread)

Seeing that the others were done with whatever they did, Olivia waved her own group forward. "Off we go, girls. Be a dear and scout ahead, Gale?" Her voice softened somewhat as she motioned for the left hallway, blade held at ease but senses on alert for trouble.

Last edited:
"Right, who knows where that thing is hiding now..." Gale nudged the wind forward with a bit of a stutter, the breeze peeking down the path and flowing into the room, Gale's imaginary magnifying glass on. She wasn't backing down because of an invisible ghost! There was a spooky limit here!

Shots followed behind Avalanche and Gale, keeping a hand on the holster for Countdown. Whatever this invisible thing was, if Gale or Avalanche were able to reveal it, she would be more than ready to unload a shot or two into it. Besides, it was awful rude to hang around out of sight making trouble; It was only fair that the thing would get what was coming to it.

Pandora, having finished shaking off the effects of re-uplinking, moves to join the others at the right hallway, though not before glancing at Spellblade for confirmation. The uplink gave her enough confidence to participate, but she was still one of the weaker magical girls here.

Last edited:
Gale's return to the spherical room was a silent as a slight breeze, but still spectacular for other reasons. A metal tripod sitting smack dab in the middle of the intact teleporation circle illuminated Phantom Gale with a bright red spotlight. For a moment Gale feel like something was trying to restrain her, before the bright part of the tripod shattered as it tried to conflict with her existence. A chunk half the size of a fist tinks against the ground.

Gale is quite sure that the tripod had not been present when she last swept through this room. And any Magical Girl present can feel a slight bit of tension, like a fight is nearly upon her.

Besides the intruding object the room appears much the same.

As the three headed off down the left path, Melia and Hálogi moved to join those going down the right path with a quick grumble. "At least Hál will fit down this tunnel, why'd I think this was a good job to take."

"I'll go with the investigation team." Liz immediately chimes in as soon as she's sure the argument is over. "I'm not good with the whole 'investigation' thing either, but I know a lot about general magic; so if they run into something weird I can probably figure it out."

Not-quite scurrying after Vex, she fell in beside the floating girl. "So, I know you don't know a lot about how your powers work; but what can you tell me about them? I know the whole nanite-network-thing, but what else? Is it heavier on the 'digital' side of things, or does it feel like a side effect of something else?"

"I'll go with the investigation team." Liz immediately chimes in as soon as she's sure the argument is over. "I'm not good with the whole 'investigation' thing either, but I know a lot about general magic; so if they run into something weird I can probably figure it out."

Not-quite scurrying after Vex, she fell in beside the floating girl. "So, I know you don't know a lot about how your powers work; but what can you tell me about them? I know the whole nanite-network-thing, but what else? Is it heavier on the 'digital' side of things, or does it feel like a side effect of something else?"

[A lot of stuff, like that my outf- damnit.]
Vex sighs and stows one of her guns before grabbing an uplink from her rig and holding it out in Key's direction roughly at neck level.

Last edited:
Gale's return to the spherical room was a silent as a slight breeze, but still spectacular for other reasons. A metal tripod sitting smack dab in the middle of the intact teleporation circle illuminated Phantom Gale with a bright red spotlight. For a moment Gale feel like something was trying to restrain her, before the bright part of the tripod shattered as it tried to conflict with her existence. A chunk half the size of a fist tinks against the ground.

Gale is quite sure that the tripod had not been present when she last swept through this room. And any Magical Girl present can feel a slight bit of tension, like a fight is nearly upon her.

Seeing part of the bright part of the tripod pop off, Shots mutters "Explosive Surprise," grasping the newly formed grenade in her free hand. Better to have an explosive ready than not with the tension in the air.

A shiver runs down Olivia's back. She tenses, sword at the ready in expectation of a fight.

"What's that?" she asks into the silence. "Actually, stupid question. None of us would know." It is broken now, but maybe the Fairies can do something with it. Better to focus on the yet unseen danger. Olivia moves out of the corridor to get some more space to move. "You girls feel that, too?"

Gale was expected some manner of spookiness given the whole invisible creeper experience last time. A trap as soon as she floated in? Not so much. And feeling something in her lash out before the light on it broke?

"That's new. Both the tripod and...that." Her winds flooded out of her to sweep the room, Gale in full agreement that something violent was about to go down and not knowing from where was a very bad thing.

[A lot of stuff, like that my outf- damnit.]
Vex sighs and stows one of her guns before grabbing an uplink from her rig and holding it out in Key's direction roughly at neck level.
Liz looks at the uplink for a moment before her brain catches up and she slaps a hand over her face. "I'm a dumbass. Sorry."

Gingerly she takes the object from Vex, and stars at it for a moment. Then with a shrug, reaches around to press it to the back of her neck.

"Gaaaaahahahh!!! That feels just as weird as the first time. Like worms up my nose!"

Last edited:
Liz looks at the uplink for a moment before her brain catches up and she slaps a hand over her face. "I'm a dumbass. Sorry."

Gingerly she takes the object from Vex, and stars at it for a moment. Then with a shrug, reaches around to press it to the back of her neck.

"Gaaaaahahahh!!! That feels just as weird as the first time. Like worms up my nose!"

Blue text flashes across Vex' vision as the Uplink activates, followed by a picture of and health bar for Memory Key appearing on the edge of her vision. With that done, Vex redeploys her guns.

[Good to have you back in my head Key. And know how my powers work. They're just really... mechanical I think describes it best. Like, my spells? I wasn't fucking around when I said they were nanites. I've got a full on HUD, hell, I can even do maintenance on my guns and rig. I know how my powers work, and I know what they do, the snake just caught me off guard. Nothing I've uplinked before has acted like that.]

[Good to have you back in my head Key. And know how my powers work. They're just really... mechanical I think describes it best. Like, my spells? I wasn't fucking around when I said they were nanites. I've got a full on HUD, hell, I can even do maintenance on my guns and rig. I know how my powers work, and I know what they do, the snake just caught me off guard. Nothing I've uplinked before has acted like that.]
"Happy to be back, also; makes sense..." Liz acknowledged. "How do the uplinks show up for you? Do they treat us as machines, or do they have some kind of organic tracking mechanism for us? And either way, how much information do you get over it? Because my main theory about why the Snake acted like it did was because of an unintentional synergy between your abilities and it's own nature."

She waved to where the others had vaporized the thing. "For example, they could have had some kind of hive mind that your network accidentally usurped, or it didn't have enough self-identity of some kind and you accidentally overwhelmed it."

"Happy to be back, also; makes sense..." Liz acknowledged. "How do the uplinks show up for you? Do they treat us as machines, or do they have some kind of organic tracking mechanism for us? And either way, how much information do you get over it? Because my main theory about why the Snake acted like it did was because of an unintentional synergy between your abilities and it's own nature."

She waved to where the others had vaporized the thing. "For example, they could have had some kind of hive mind that your network accidentally usurped, or it didn't have enough self-identity of some kind and you accidentally overwhelmed it."

[You get an image on my HUD with a health bar, and I've never really looked into it, you're a node on the network and that was always good enough for me an. You don't become a piece of tech to the BattleNet unless you're me or you get a shot of A-Type nanites.] Vex moved on quickly to another topic as she started scanning the hallway again.

[I'd rather not think about those theories right now if it's alright with you. Anyway, Val and her half of the crew aren't calling for help, so lets go deal with the control center before that changes.]

[I'd rather not think about those theories right now if it's alright with you. Anyway, Val and her half of the crew aren't calling for help, so lets go deal with the control center before that changes.]
"That's fine." Liz made an aborted motion to give her a pat on the shoulder, but instead sighed and walked ahead of Vex. "Let's see if they found anything interesting."

Pandora trails behind Key, ending up alongside Vex and checking back to make sure Spellblade is with them. She wouldn't want to run into anything without their most reliable member.

Spellblade moves with the group silently, once again falling into the meditative pattern of breathing to hone her blade.

As Spellblade's group advances the tunnel opens up a bit. Panels labelled with an unknown script are regularly placed along both walls. This narrows back down as they reach another intersection of tunnels. Past that it continues for a bit, then a raised platform appears and the entire tunnel starts to taper down to a point.

Vex's magic resonates with the destination, even before she reaches it. She's approaching the hub of this site, which is itself a spoke of a larger network. Some of her Network-aligned magic is already present, ready to be tapped into if she wishes.
----

Avalanche's team continues to sense that something is about to occur. Even as the spectacle of the detonating tripod fades and the room goes still, the sense that the other shoe is about to drop stays.

As Spellblade's group advances the tunnel opens up a bit. Panels labelled with an unknown script are regularly placed along both walls. This narrows back down as they reach another intersection of tunnels. Past that it continues for a bit, then a raised platform appears and the entire tunnel starts to taper down to a point.

Vex's magic resonates with the destination, even before she reaches it. She's approaching the hub of this site, which is itself a spoke of a larger network. Some of her Network-aligned magic is already present, ready to be tapped into if she wishes.

Vex stows her guns upon reaching the hallway and pulls out an uplink. She looks around for a moment while scanning the area and then walks onto the raised platform, then places the uplink on the center of the platform and activates it.

Uplink activated, beginning interface...
Establishing connection...
Uplink connecting to secondary node, system access limited...
Tracing system branches...
ALERT! Damage to system detected, full system trace not possible...
System branch trace complete...
Recording possible primary system access locations...
Recording possible secondary system access locations...

Placing waypoints at confirmed system access locations...

[Alright, the uplink took and I've got an incomplete map of other installations. Now begins the fun part.]

Uplink interface complete, beginning system intrusion...
Bypassing Security...
Security systems offline...
Security successfully bypassed...

[That's odd, this place has security, but it's been shut down.] Vex says, ignoring her shamelessly self congratulatory powers for a moment

Beginning system breach...
Ring 3, breached...
Ring 2, breached...
Ring 1, breached...
Ring 0, breached...
Creating administrator profile...
Profile complete...
Uplink process complete, installation now under BattleNet control...

[I'm in and I've got full access to the sys-]

ALERT! Severe damage detected in installation, repairs needed to restore full functionality...
ALERT! Remote intrusion detected.
Tracing...

[Go get the fairies, now. We're not the only ones fucking around in these r-] Before Vex has time to say more, two new windows appear on her HUD.

Intruder located, begin remote access?
Y/N?
Installation teleporter system active, establish connection?
Y/N?

[Scratch that, I found the intruder, go ask Val and the others if they're up for a raid.]

Last edited:
[I really don't think leaving you alone is a good idea], Pandora stops herself from saying, then turns to see what the others are going to do-. "Oh, right. Telepathy. Ignore that, I have no idea what I'm doing."

Back