Denis Villeneuve's Dune

I just hope this being a two-parter means Villeneuve learned his lesson after 2049 and not just have endless scenes of nothing happening and make the original look like a Michael Bay movie.

Not too sure about the Atreides being armored up like Final Fantasy mooks, but digging the stillsuits. Look forward to how the Harkonnen and Sardaukar look like.

I like all the shots of daggers. Hopefully this is an indication they'll actually stick with holtzmann shields

I just hope this being a two-parter means Villeneuve learned his lesson after 2049 and not just have endless scenes of nothing happening and make the original look like a Michael Bay movie.

Not too sure about the Atreides being armored up like Final Fantasy mooks, but digging the stillsuits. Look forward to how the Harkonnen and Sardaukar look like.
I want MORE scenes of nothing happening!

Give me an entire movie of nothing. :V

Minor nitpick but I'm a little irritated they called it a 'Crusade' instead of a Jihad.

I really wonder how this movie would have done without the pandemic. Because high budget high concept sci fi movies bomb so often that part of me thinks that some studio producer for one of them cracked open a tomb and pissed off a mummy at some point and now the entire genre is cursed.

I really hope against hope that somehow they manage to get the second half of the novel adapted.

On the one hand, I like Denis Villeneuve and I like a lot of these actors. On the other hand, I've always found Dune to be clunky as hell and Villeneuve's usual restrained color palette is doing nothing for me here.

Minor nitpick but I'm a little irritated they called it a 'Crusade' instead of a Jihad.
So am I. One wonders if the screenplay similarly removes all the Arab-influenced words from the Fremen vocabulary. I mean, it's still the story of desert-dwelling religious fanatics fighting an insurgency against a superpower that extracts a vital substance from their land.

Not crazy about the color grading (wish it looked more like Fury Road or BR2049, this is a little too washed out for me) but I trust Villeneuve and we get a few glimpses of some next level weirdness so I'm tentatively excited.

In the year of our lord 2020 "jihad" raises a lot of unfortunate implications.

Not crazy about the color grading (wish it looked more like Fury Road or BR2049, this is a little too washed out for me) but I trust Villeneuve and we get a few glimpses of some next level weirdness so I'm tentatively excited.

In the year of our lord 2020 "jihad" raises a lot of unfortunate implications.
Second all of this. It's a real pity that five years since Fury Road, Marvel Grey is still the standard instead of that kind of vibrant colour palettes - even a less extreme version of that like The Last Jedi or Pacific Rim, which still packs in a ton of colour.

And speaking of that franchise, I'm praying this succeeds just so it opens up the space fantasy game to properties that haven't grown utterly self-cannibalistic.

The "Jihad" is, if I recall, a fairly apocalyptic affair in Paul's flash-forwards. Using the word is bound to upset someone.

Last edited:
Given the gospel-esque version of Pink Floyd's Eclipse in the trailer, the marketing team at least knows what's up with Dune (namely, messianic and millenarian themes)
Then again, Suicide Squad had great marketing and we all saw how that turned out.

Given the gospel-esque version of Pink Floyd's Eclipse in the trailer, the marketing team at least knows what's up with Dune (namely, messianic and millenarian themes)
Then again, Suicide Squad had great marketing and we all saw how that turned out.
I'm willing to trust Villeneuve's track record and ability to control a blockbuster production over Ayer's.

Momoa looks like he's having fun as Duncan Idaho

On the one hand, I like Denis Villeneuve and I like a lot of these actors. On the other hand, I've always found Dune to be clunky as hell and Villeneuve's usual restrained color palette is doing nothing for me here.
I think the palette suits Dune. Having lots of colours and bright lights wouldn't really suit the franchise.

Back