Current claims of room-temperature superconductor discovery

The Max Planck institute made impressively big-ass crystals of pure LK-99, unlike other samples where they'd sift out a few grains in a lump of byproducts, and it was a resistor with millions of ohms.

They do think resistivity drops were caused by impurities... but only in the form of copper behaving like copper, which is not especially novel.

As far as I'm concerned, it's Joever.

( i am pro-Star Trek and take no pleasure in reporting this )

Last edited:
Thank fuck, now I won't have to completely rejigger my science fiction setting to account for room temperature superconductors.

My fictional setting is saved!

Bleh…

Once again my disappointment is measurable and my day is mildly upset.

We live in the most boring dystopian timeline…can't have any cool shit…

Is LK-99 a Superconductor After All? New Research and Updated Patent Say So

Original Team Says LK99 Superconductivity Is Real and Next Published Paper Will Provide Answers and Evidence

This is going to keep churling for months, isn't it? We're going to keep getting new hope and seeing it dashed over and over and over again.

Most science enthusiasts on the internet are not very knowledgeable about science. And due to bad sourcing, will often feast on one another's bad reporting.

Is LK-99 a Superconductor After All? New Research and Updated Patent Say So

Original Team Says LK99 Superconductivity Is Real and Next Published Paper Will Provide Answers and Evidence

This is going to keep churling for months, isn't it? We're going to keep getting new hope and seeing it dashed over and over and over again.

Not really no. This is the original team clarifying what their superconductor research was even about. Basically their research will either be confirmed or denied in the next 2 months. So this is the last round of it.

Lol, do you think that the superconductor made by the team that forced everyone to synthesize their own test material out of instructions that they cant 100% verify are correct and only sent test material to one specific (and most likely biased) place might be a fraud... I dunno, sounds legitimate to me.

View: https://twitter.com/pronounced_kyle/status/1742588127628361809

Article:
The two Chinese labs working on replicating LK-99 appear to have found a room-temperature superconductor. At first blush, here's what's different from last time:• it's more like "room temperature" than room temperature, the paper says 250K which is -10 F or -23 C. That's still HUGE IF TRUE, because we can get things that cold with liquid nitrogen• we have actually discovered a superconductor at this temperature before, but it was at high pressure. This paper says it's potentially superconductive AT AMBIENT, NORMAL PRESSURE• it has *already* replicated, with two separate labs in China confirming the results. Last time the big question was "will it replicate." And the answer this time seems to be "it already has"

Huh, seems promising, but we have to wait and see. Still, -23 C is pretty good, because... well, that's the temperature outside right now :p We can easily get to -23 C without needing complex or dangerous chemicals/processes, hell a basic freezer can do it.

Wasn't lk99 blown down recently as hype without base?

The reproductions failed, and as noted in the Twi- Sorry, X thread the original cause for superconductivity seemed to be the fact that the sample had been contaminated by sulfur. Originally this was thought to be problem, but now it appears that sulfur was actually the key.

But like said, wait and see.

View: https://twitter.com/pronounced_kyle/status/1742588127628361809

Article:
The two Chinese labs working on replicating LK-99 appear to have found a room-temperature superconductor. At first blush, here's what's different from last time:• it's more like "room temperature" than room temperature, the paper says 250K which is -10 F or -23 C. That's still HUGE IF TRUE, because we can get things that cold with liquid nitrogen• we have actually discovered a superconductor at this temperature before, but it was at high pressure. This paper says it's potentially superconductive AT AMBIENT, NORMAL PRESSURE• it has *already* replicated, with two separate labs in China confirming the results. Last time the big question was "will it replicate." And the answer this time seems to be "it already has"

Siberia and Alaska. Supercomputing powerhouses.

...if this somehow pans out, and we do actually get a superconductor out of LK-99, just not the way the original team thought and announced, I wonder how said original team will be remembered in the history books, and if the way they became persona non grata to the scientific community from publishing before they had hard data will affect the 'gotta publish first!' mentality that was noted to have had an influence on why they did?

"I want to get off MR BONES WILD RIDE"
...if this somehow pans out, and we do actually get a superconductor out of LK-99, just not the way the original team thought and announced, I wonder how said original team will be remembered in the history books, and if the way they became persona non grata to the scientific community from publishing before they had hard data will affect the 'gotta publish first!' mentality that was noted to have had an influence on why they did?
I don't think it will. The incentives that drive "gotta publish first!" haven't gone anywhere, one team getting ridiculed for faceplanting isn't going to shift the needle on that.

I don't think it will. The incentives that drive "gotta publish first!" haven't gone anywhere, one team getting ridiculed for faceplanting isn't going to shift the needle on that.

And if they ended up being right anyway, then it actually ends up justified in some folks' minds.

Back