Crystar (Magical Girl RPG)

Bernkastel

The Witch of Miracles
Pronouns
She/Her

Has anyone else heard of this game? I've been interested in it myself since the second video appeared in my recommendations last year and I watched it. It seems interesting to me and the animations for this game were done by Studio Shaft. It's already been released in Japan, though there's no word on when/if it'll get localized.

looks almost souls-like from the gameplay.

Also the girl has a Stand? Consider me interested.

Last edited:
Can't watch videos at the moment, so I have to ask: which tradition of Magical Girls is this based on?

Can't watch videos at the moment, so I have to ask: which tradition of Magical Girls is this based on?

It is absolutely aimed at adult men and is definitely a sad magical girl show.

The design work is pretty cool so I've been somewhat interested in it, but I don't know that it'll end up getting translated. Seeing that Blue Reflection did it's not impossible, though.

Well, the title itself is apparently a combination of Cry, used as a shortening of crying, and Star. The idea behind apparently was to "replicate the feelings where you draw shining things (akin to a 'star') in a sad event that makes you 'cry'". Crying is a core game mechanic. Also, here's the plot synopsis from what I've seen.

The main girl, Rei, and her sister ended up in some strange place, apparently limbo, and she awoke her magical girl power in order to protect her sister. She fails to control that power and kills her sister. Then some sort of devil tells her that he'd be able to revive the sister. Well, if she goes around "reaping the lost souls" of limbo.

This is a sad magical girl story, though apparently the writer wants the work to be something that will give the player an optimistic feeling. I'm taking that from this article here. Hopefully, that intent will serve as a moderating force to make sure the story is more like Madoka rather than some of the comically edgy imitators.

Here are two videos on the game that I found to be informative.

I am curious how playable the Japanese version might be for an english speaker. The stats seem mostly decipherable. But there's the story elements.

I am curious how playable the Japanese version might be for an english speaker. The stats seem mostly decipherable. But there's the story elements.

I'm sure you could make your way through, but unless you're really into the gameplay you'd be missing out on a lot of the game. Most of it, really.

That said, there is apparently some indication that it'll be getting a release in the west.

I'm sure you could make your way through, but unless you're really into the gameplay you'd be missing out on a lot of the game. Most of it, really.

That said, there is apparently some indication that it'll be getting a release in the west.

The most I've seen is a desire for a world wide release in 2019 and a time for a Chinese release, that also 2019. A world wide release would presumably mean at least the US should be covered and likely with a version that could be imported. But, just looking at this game, I feel you'd absolutely have to have some sort of guide, readable translation of the dialogue to work off. Otherwise, you'd lose so much that it's really not worth it.

Western release announced. It's in August and being handled by Spike Chunsoft.

Yes. Annoyingly, I've seen people complaining about censorship. I don't mind it myself. Instead, I'm annoyed that part of the reaction to the news this game is getting a western release is "uhh, they removed the ass shot. Not buying".

Back