Civil States - Fantasy Bronze Age GSRP

Opening Post

Hyvelic

Slightly Insane Tactical Genius
OOC

Roster​
  1. @Count,​

A city-state is an independent sovereign city that serves as the center of political, economic, and cultural life over its contiguous territory. They have existed in many parts of the world since the dawn of history, and the current era is about to see the rise of the very first city-states in this world.

Upon the Continent of Kommandia, the world would be about to change in a new, drastic way. Where there were once tribes of peoples and cultures wandering across the land and surviving day to day under the light of the things they worshipped, there were only cities starting to form. Seeking protection from the dangers within the wild, monsters, demons, and even other tribes, large gatherings of people would come into being and form the very first city-states in this new world.

But their fates have not changed, not yet. Of these twelve City-States, there is no idea on whether they will continue and survive into the future, or perish and die under the weight of the world upon their shoulders. All that can be gleaned is that an age of Civilization could very well begin, or a collapse in the new order seeing the peoples of the world returning to their old barbaric tribal ways.

For Lurya, a challenge would arise. Against them stood a monster of unknowable power and ability, all that is known about it is that it took the shape of a Lion and devoured men whole. As it stands, in the period after the triumph this monster could destabilize the entire city and bring it low. The people are calling for Gohedan to stop the beast, but without more information what could be done? But it was not the only Basin troubled by recent events.

Grobiņa would see a different issue. The people were discontent. With the disappearance Bearripper the legitimacy of his children and line would squander their well-earned power on petty tyrannies, the people were more than unhappy with the current situation, and if nothing was done there is a chance that they may try to remove the tyrants by force.

Heltor was broken, the war had ravaged the city after its founding and there was nothing for the people left. They are on the verge of collapsing into squabbling tribes once again and it appears that the only thing keeping them together is their leader Heltor Caloni, who is the only one able to get them to agree to anything. Strong actions must be taken and made if the city-state is to survive the coming months. But will he make the right choices?

Thermodia stands, right now there are no issues plaguing it, and as the harvest comes there is happiness and rejoicing. But for such prosperity, there is a price. Nearby tribes seek to profit from the harvests, they themselves suffering from famine and risking destruction.

Urk is haunted. A beast stalks the seas and traps their fleets on the island. This monster is larger than life itself and only darkness can be seen when it devours sailors seeking to escape. But after being eaten there is no peace for them. They become monsters, dedicated to only the destruction and malicious intent of all that they once stood for. Called "Draga" they arm themselves for war, one that Urk may not be able to defeat. Not alone, or without losses.

Phlegethon stands but is surrounded by enemies. Hated by the tribes and nearby city-states the Tyrant stands over the city. He cannot show weakness or he risks the complete destruction of his lineage. The Priests are urging a change in leadership and cannot be left to their own devices, or everything may fall apart.

Khivasai is weakened, but not broken. A demon of sorts marks the land in their blood and their neighbors watch in demented glee as their people are bled by the monster's urges. Only husks remain of those who fall victim... if they are ever found. If this continues there very well could be barbarians at the gates attempting to seek reprisal for their wrongdoings.

The Temple lies broken. Only rebuilding is to be done but in the ashes the questions being asked only intensify. A trial is needed to prove the worth of Pawl in their eyes. Without the blessing of Heyzeus what was he worth? These were only a minority of the questions being asked. One question whispered in darkened rooms was "Why must we worship Heyzeus?" and there are rumors of a cult seeking to tear down the priests and their god.

Arba is ruled by a Tyrant. There are two heirs to the throne of Arba. The people are chafing under the rule while the heirs fight over a seat that does not matter. The gods are watching, some whisper. There are monsters in the sea, some note. There are always two sides in a civil war, and if nothing is done the city may fall and be weakened or disgraced by God or Beast. Something needs to change, or something will give way.

Kyrennes and Xentiterek are at the risk of declaring war upon each other. Too close to each other, and weakened enough that they can both think they can win... unless cooler heads prevail blood shall be spilled. It does not help either side as a nest of beasts have made their nest nearby and plague both cities. A great feathered beast that hunts and devours the flesh of all it can. Should a war be declared, this beast may find itself feasting on the entrails of the armies... unless it is taken care of first.

Mor'Karran lays in ruin. The gods have laid a cruel curse upon the land and its peoples for their hubris. They need to rebuild and recover, but in such a hostile environment what can they do? They are on the verge of annihilation and unless something is done... Mor'Karran may be gone before the summer heat.

Medias is in trouble. The rains are falling and there is no foreseeable end. Some are saying that the city is being punished for some transgression, but what could have done this? In this time of near-endless rain, there are whispers of a magical artifact to the west that may be the solution they need.

Tyrea is weak, broken. The people must rebuild but there is nothing to rebuild with. There are bodies, but no materials. There is a solution, an easy one at that, to this problem. To their south is an enemy that is not destroyed or in ruins. Perhaps taking what you need from them will provide enough materials for the rebuilding of the city?

Hydriss is broken, and in the ruins of the city lies a burning passion for vengeance, but there is no easy target for them to blame. They are new here and there is only a single city-state that they can reach. Perhaps they can blame the gods, perhaps they can blame themselves. But this vengeance must be repaid or sated. But how can this be done? The question plagues the philosopher queen, and one wonders what her answer will be.

Lumen, a city of tribes united in a singular goal of survival. The danger that plagues them does not come from all things, but rather from a single thing. There are nearby tribes seeking to join Lumen, to become apart of such a historic moment... but there are not enough resources for newcomers to be added to the city... not yet. But ever-persistent the tribes seek to join, and if rejected they may feel scorned and declare revenge on the people.

The city of Pillars is an existence barely tolerated. Anger, despair, and hatred are all things commonly felt in regards to the city. The people are unhappy and they seek a return to the old ways. The ways before the city's formation. Perhaps they can be convinced otherwise, but if not handled correctly... it may be a sign of what is in store for the city.

Tirtanda seeks food. The population is small and there is bountiful food, but they have no way to get more... for now. It will be an issue that needs to be overcome later on, but for now, the people are content and they all they need, and even if they cared more... how can they get more food without land to grow it?​

Last edited:

The candles burned low in the blue hall, they had been wanting for centuries and would not die out for many more stubborn in their futile war against entropy. The Prince of the city sat upon his stone throne gazing sightlessly at the mourners filing through his crypt. Some were his kin, others friends and companions of old, others unfamiliar to him, faces shrouded in his own indifference.

Alone in the room his bride lacked the lethargy braced by his court, she remained full of life and energy, her movements dynamic, her smile's spontaneous and the hunger in her unfilled and unrestrained even after all these centuries.

Adrehel was tall, though shorter than the other brides, and had painstakingly dressed hair of platinum and gold and sunlight. Her bright blue eyes shone like a newborn babe's before their true colour showed and were equally deceptive. Her graceful form took even the solemn dreariness of the Prince of Mon'Karrion's court and conquered it, emerging more beautiful. That was her gift, nothing failed to enhance her, just as nothing failed to entice her.

"My love," she sang as if at prayer yet as seductive as a courtesan.

His own perfect lips pursed at the endearment. He recalled well how once Blessed had fought and died, climbed mountains, wrote or lived mighty epics and all for less than what she so freely offered him. Even Gods, each in their turn had become her latest thrall and all of them had come to regret it. Her love was poison and it's sweetness held no allure for him this sour century.

"How long have you sat on that horrid enormity of a chair? How long since you have felt the warmth of... sunlight.." she smiled so suggestively that were it another age half the ladies of his court would have fallen pregnant, "on your skin."

"How long will you waste my time with nonsense?" He asked. "I tire of your childish game Adrehel, what is it you want of me other than my wrath?" He demanded, voice low and calm and dangerous.

She tasted his anger and before her face contorted to perfect contrition and heartache he saw the satisfaction.

"My love all I want is your joy. Your health and the revival of your spirit."

"Then leave with speed." He entreated.

"Without my heart? How could I?"

"You always managed in the past!" He snapped in a tone that had made God's take heed, but never his brides, not one of them.

"But then I had not yet tasted love, true and all consuming. I had not yet tasted you...but if you must send me away oh my Cruel husband then at least send me with your blessing and...perhaps oh just perhaps a keepsake to remember you by and heal my torn heart."

So. That was it.

"A keepsake?" He asked suspiciously.

She looked at him with ocean eyes.

"You once made me a sun that could fit in my hand...it warmed my heart though it never burned my flesh. This time… I would have something more, heartfelt."

He put his head in his hand.

"So be it. If it will see you gone and me left in peace I shall give you your gift."

Her delight was irresistible even to him. Even knowing all the woe that would surely follow.

Last edited:

The "Three" Kings of Grobiņa
(King Kangars, and his brothers, Kaupo(left) and Apo(right).)
King Kangars, aged 33 winters, blessed by Saule and born of Māra, the Elder Mother of Grobiņa, watches over his people with shield and spear, the weapons of the King. Anointed after the death of his legendary father, Kangars would, in the last 10 years, be both a father to his people and also his younger brothers. Pērkons would give King Kangars strength, but not the legendary weapon, Spiritfell- the axe of his father. His crown, though of the purest gold of the land of Grobiņa, was not a sign of true legitimacy. Kangars was a stern older brother, and continues to be so, even as a father to his people.

Disregarding the shamans and elders, and even his Holy Mother, he would impose heavy restrictions upon his people. Whilst his citizens would live in huts running across and around the mighty fort of Grobiņa, he would feats inside with velvets and wines from lands beyond, due to the trade he had made from ships- taken from freemen sailors to boost his navy and warriors. His men were loyal to him, for they fed from his hand. Now, King Kangars, the Tyrant, rules with an iron fist.

His brother, Kaupo, is his greatest adviser. A swindler and a trickster, he, the youngest at 19, uses his bow to fell enemies from afar, much like he uses the dagger to kill elders telling bad omens of his elder brother in their sleep. He is that shadowy hand of his King, and he is willing to even threaten his mother to keep order. However, behind his loyalty rests ambition, and already the warriors of Grobiņa are split between his and his brotherš riches and bribes.

There is hope, however.

Two months ago, a great debate raged. The middle brother, Apo, beloved by the people for his beauty, grace, singing voice and skill with the sword, would challenge his brother's newest Law- to make the thralls of the freemen and citizens of Grobiņa into the King's property. The court, loyal to Kangars, would explode, and Apo would be chased out. However, before he could be felled by his brother, he challenged him once more. Kaupo, with thirty good, loyal and honest warriors of Grobiņa, would take a longship and sail out on a great journey across the seas, to find his father's bones and Spiritfell. If he would not return within 10 years with either, he would commit suicide before his brother. If he would, Kangars swore it on his crown and seat, that the City would be his, thinking Apo was a fool.

And so, the longship sailed away, its first stop past the river mouth and into the gulch, toward the north...

Night had fallen over Heltor, bathing the city in darkness. If you could even refer to it as a city anymore, anyway. Over half of the buildings that once stood had been destroyed, with what wall had been built being breached across no less then five locations across it's length. The latest attack performed by the neighboring tribes had been truly horrendous, and even now, almost a week later, the people still felt the shock and horror of the incident.

Still, the people preserved despite the city's state, with many sleeping through the night. Those set to guard did so almost religiously, fervent in their desire to keep what little they had left of their home and their loved ones safe from further harm. The land was silent, a sense of false peace having drifted over the ruined city as the people of Heltor waited with bated breath for whatever may come next.

Located in the mostly intact city center - something that poor old Malin had been proud of for suggesting to Heltor, may his soul rest in peace - was a bunch of tents and a crackling bonfire, which illuminated the surrounding area. Before this fire stood Heltor Caloni himself, leader and founder of the city. He stared into the fire, watching flames flicker and lick at the air, feeling the heat coming off of the fire and warming him.

While outwardly Heltor appeared to be calmly contemplating the meaning of life, inwardly he was absolutely livid. The foolish tribes that sought to stop him had only delayed the inevitable, but the cost was enormous. The city had been devastated by the hydra, the people now uneasy, and worst of all, food as scarce due to that being where the bloody hydra hit first! Morale was at an all time low, and people were looking to those in charge, demanding, no, begging that something be done.

Heltor planned to answer their calls, the only question was how. How could he appease his people? How could he give them joy once more, give them pride and hope in their accomplishments? Sure, it wasn't all bad, the people were still together, but they still whispered. Whispers held power, Heltor knew this all too well. So how could he quell the whispers of malcontent and despair?

He had originally planned on punishing those who drew the hydra to Heltor in the first place, but apparently those fools had either perished or fled while the beast rampaged throughout the area. This had left him at an impass, however, Heltor could still carry it through. At the same time, he could also hopefully deal with the attacks and the need to rebuild at the same time.

"It may work, if handled properly." Heltor murmured to himself, stroking his chin as he continued to gaze into the fire. "I must simply raise the people's spirits, and enveforate them once more. Give them something to aim their despair and anger at. Yes...." With a firm nod Heltor turned, walking away as his mind continued to work over the plan he had just come up with.

The rest of the night was restless for Heltor, for he had many thing to take care of, and no time to waste. Every moment was precious when it came to saving his people.

So it came to pass that the Merencia, the people of the sea, founded a new home upon the shores of new land. The Merencia named this city Hydriss, in honor of her majesty that had led them their darkest hour. The Princess Hydriss was then crowned Queen of the Merencia and their new city that had been named in her honor.
-- Tome of the Sea

Having ceased reading from the most recently written entry in The Tome of the Sea, Fathros looked up to Queen Hydriss. The woman looked out upon what passed for a city, the settlement that the Merencia now called 'home'. There was a distantness to her, she was clearly deep in thought.

"My Queen?" Fathros said once he began to question if she had perhaps not heard him.
"Yes, Fathros." She said, briefly glancing towards her Aide.

Further silence followed. It was as if she was mourning.

"Here ends the Tome of the Sea." Hydriss finally said. "So begins the Tome of the Land."

"My Queen?" Fathros asked, hardly believing the words she had spoken.
"I issue this as an official proclamation." Hydriss said, confirming her words.

Fathros stood in silence for several moments, before swiftly walking to his Queen's side.

"My Queen, the Tome of the Sea is our people's most sacred writing. It is our history. It is-"
"It is past." Hydriss interjected. "The Tome of the Sea will not be forgotten. It will remain that which it always has been. It shall remain our history, it shall remain record of who we are and where we come from. The Merencians will continue to recite its words and pass on its teaching for all generations henceforth. Its words shall serve as an all-too important reminder of the fall that brought our people low, that brought our people here."

"But you would end it?" Fathros asked.
"And in its place, a new Tome shall begin." Hydriss said. "We may yet be of the sea, but we are no longer one with it. Our people turned our backs on Krakoa, and in turn, Krakoa has forsaken us. We have been exiled from our ancient homelands for the many sins our people committed against him. No longer have we his favor. Ours is the last generation that shall even be capable of seeing our lost homelands. There will one day come a time when no Merencian will be capable of returning there. And with our people unable to see to our lost lands, they will in time be reclaimed, lost to history."

"The land is now our home." Hydriss continued. "We must learn to accept this. Our people can not move on if they are not prepared to accept our new reality. If they can not move on, then they most certainly will not survive. We must not forget where we came from, we must not forget the wisdom and lessons of the Tome of the Sea. Yet our future lies above the waves, not below it. Thus, the Tome of the Sea must give way to the Tome of the Land."

Hydriss looked to Fathros with a fierce intensity.

"As you have proclaimed it, so shall it be done." Fathros relented.

So it came to pass that the Merencia, the people of the sea, founded a new home upon the shores of new land. The Merencia named this city Hydriss, in honor of her majesty that had led them their darkest hour. The Princess Hydriss was then crowned Queen of the Merencia and their new city that had been named in her honor.

Here ends the Tome of the Sea, as proclaimed by Queen Hydriss.

Thus begins the Tome of the Land.
-- Tome of the Sea

Here begins the Tome of the Land, as proclaimed by Queen Hydriss, following the founding of the Merencian city of Hydriss.

Its contents are the words that follow. Let these words record the wisdom and history of the Merencian people, that they may be remembered for all times!

It was in the earliest days of the Merencian city of Hydriss that Queen Hydriss issued a proclamation. In her wisdom, she proclaimed that the Tome of the Land give way to a new volume, which she proclaimed to be the Tome of the Land.

It is this very volume that is before you now.

"The Tome of the Sea shall not be forgotten. It shall remain that which it always has been. It shall remain our history, it shall remain record of who we are and where we came from. We shall continue to recite its words and teachings for all generations henceforth. Its words shall serve as an all-too important reminder of our peoples fall, which brought us low, and which brought us here.

"In its place, a new Tome shall begin. We are yet of the sea, but no longer one with it. Our people turned our backs on Krakoa, He of the Deep, and in turn Krakoa has forsaken us. We have been exiled from our ancient homelands for the many sins of our people. No longer have we the favor of Krakoa. Our is the last generation that shall possess the means of seeing our lost homelands again. One day will come a time when none can return there. With our people unable to care for our lost lands, they will in time be reclaimed and lost to history."

"The land is now our home. We must learn to accept this. Our people can not move forward if they are not prepared to accept our new reality. If they can not move forward, they most certainly will not survive. We must not forget where we came from, we must not forget the wisdom and lessons of the Tome of the Sea. Yet our future lies above the waves, not below it. Thus, the Tome of the Sea must give way to the Tome of the Land."

So it was that Queen Hydriss, Queen of the City of Hydriss and the Merencian people, did in her infinite wisdom proclaim the end of the Tome of the Sea and the beginning of the Tome of the Land.

Thus did a new age begin for the Merencian people in full.
-- Tome of the Land

"Pōnta geron mērī rȳ halls pōnta istin gimigon, vaeta hen naejot lī pōnta emagon ojūdan fleeing se ghosts pōnta emagon gūrotan. Oregion ondoso vāedar, bartos isse se sambar, dekossa isse se morge se ry bona pirtra ahead iksos morget."

The song carried through the halls without a sound, going unheard by any wakeful ear and unmissed by any open mind. The few children in their crystal beds, guarded more closely than any treasure smiled and breathed softly. The mortals in their cages cried and moaned and stirred though some sighed and found a measure of peace.

For the dream dweller was as open handed with her gifts as her curses and she could not pass through a mind without doing her work, draining the pain, disturbing the peace, bringing madness or tranquility without any rhyme or reason the shadowy threads of memory and fantasy were cut and tied and sewn and twisted in her wake as she walked through the shadowy hall that was the collective dreams of a dying city. The torches burned downwards, chasing away the light. Monsters and champions fought and died, children long grown and dead played amongst strange creatures and lovers of astounding beauty coupled freely in fountains.

Not all were ignorant of her, most could not see her, and those that did more often than not forgot her the moment their gaze shifted, the Queen of this realm was the most discreet of servants and worth no notice. But every now and then one of the older or more powerful elves would notice her, some would greet her, some would curse her intrusion and others would flush or laugh with embarrassment at their exposure. Her reaction was always the same, non existent. There was great danger to be found in the great upside, to partake in another's dream was to become separated from what the ignorant called reality. Over the long centuries many of the less skilled practitioners of the art had found themselves lost forever, their bodies rendered empty shells, left to sleep forever. Besides, only the most well crafted and disciplined of minds possessed the capacity to remember her once she had moved on, she could plant thoughts as easily as a gardener did flowers but she became just another shade when her work was done, a thankless and solitary existence. One she would trade for nothing else, for she above all a being of...perspective.

So when she came to the end of her journey and found the threshold before her blocked with a great dark mass of bloodied thorn that seemed to suck the little heat and light and hope that lingered in this place she was unperturbed, the monstrous brier grew and shifted before her, sword sharp and red and black and angry. Wind whistled through it like the howls of the damned. Quite impassable. She passed through, making her way through gaps that had not been there on first look as she had done countless times before.

She found him sat upon a throne of bones, a maimed corpse, a murdered God, beautiful and wretched.

"I did not wish to be disturbed." He complained. "Were the defenses not enough of a hint?"

"Husband I presumed they would be more effective if you truly wished to be alone, hence I was not insulted but this is my kingdom, your are the guest here not I and certainly only one of us could be the intruder." Her voice was somewhere between a song and a scream, other worldly and both far away and whispering in his ear.

He shook his head. "It is the only place I can escape them all."

"What a poor Prince who must flee from his subjects."

"Subjects? I meant my brides." He laughed bitterly. "I have done my duty to our people ten thousand times over. I have fought and suffered and given my all and what is my reward? To linger on this blighted earth devoured fools and flatterers and crones. Even my dreams are no refuge as you delight in proving."

"They can be. But much as every being must sleep and rest and dream to wake fully and ready to face the day so must everyone work and fight and think deeply during their waking hours. It is a simple balance, yet one you have lost. These dreams are no refuge for you because you are not using them to restore yourself, you use them to hide. You fight the same losing fight against yourself waking or sleeping and the vanquished will be our race."

"First Adrehel and now you...is Gaellynora going to seek me out tomorrow riding a bear and demanding I go hunting with her? Will none of you leave me be? I have done enough. I am done."

She looked at him reproachfully. "I can make it so you never wake. If that is your wish."

"Tempting, so tempting." He confessed.

"And so sad." She added.

"What is one more tragedy to us?"

"The final one, the one that breaks us.There would be no recovery, no future. Look at what your people dream. Of a city of lights, of a people reborn, of laughing children, mighty epics, and world that bends towards us as flower to the sun. Of Gods in chains and freedom ever lasting for us blessed by our own glory. All of that is possible, in this place it is already truth for some...but it can never be if you surrender to despair. Rise my husband, one last time rise from the ashes and lead our people by example! Be reborn!"

Her words brought a stirring, the shadows retreated, the brier burned and the wretch before her was transformed into a golden King...who peeled off his fine robes and skin with cruel laughter.

"It will take more than a fantasy to change the world, I am done with dreams. Leave me."

She did not leave. Instead she went on the attack. "Done with dreams? So. Be. It. I spend so much of my time watching people live out their fantasies and their fears and face and deny truths. I have seen and made visions great and terrible. But I am more than dreams, I am much more. I am a memory. I remember who you are, even if you do not and since you have forgotten, I shall remind you."

He had only a moment to catch her meaning, his eyes widened and faster than lightning he raised a hand to swat her own claw away. If they had been any other place or time she could never have matched his speed, but this was her realm and so she broke through his guard and swept through him, burning through the Prince of Mor'Karrion, through the centuries of loss and grief and rage, through the defeat until they were in a different age, one of wonder and glory and hope, the sun burned more brightly there, and she stole its light, dragging it back with her through him as he howled.

He lay there, sprawled on his throne, stricken and shaking. "You...You…"

"Will do that again as many times as I have to until you remember to be ashamed of yourself my love. There is work to be done, Awaken."

=}+{=
=} Sanctuary of Thermodia {=

The centre of Thermodia was not the lively market, acting as its heart, pumping the lifeblood of goods between the farmers and the few people who had settled for a more craftmanship filled life. Neither was it to be found on the hardened and stamped roads connecting the various smaller and larger settlements around the sanctuary, forming the arteries of the territory that came together at the cult of Thermodia each harvest. It wasn't even in the council, which liked to think of itself as the head of the city, where the venerated elders of the villages sat together with the matriarchs of the rider's herds. There were many vital organs to the city, newly build structures and imagined responsibilities that were as young and frail as they were important for the necessary agreements and beliefs that underpinned each society. No, if one were to point at the centre of Thermodia, it would be its guts and belly, the large silos centred around the cult area of Thermodia, the armour of the river's daughter venerated in her place at a central cult place, around which the massive and walled silos of the cities grouped together.

The whole wealth of the city was represented here: the rich, golden sheaves of corn that were growing plentiful on the dark fat ground around the city; the hay which would be used to feed the riders herds throughout the winter, the smoked meat of the livestock that wouldn't see the winter and of course the most vital resource: salt. Used for fattening the livestock and preserving fish and meat alike, the proximity of Thermodia to the sea allowed the build-up of a small but constant reserve, that shepards, fisherman and tanners could draw from alike.

Just like fat supplied the body with energy, it was this shared and joined stockpiling that united the once disparate villages and families – a common strategy for winter and times of need, under the aegis of Thermodia and her cult. None of the villages would have trusted the other with their stockpile – none of the riding matriarchs would have entrusted the safety of their herds to the villages winter stocks and surely wouldn't have given their own slim stockpiles into the hand of those settled. Thankfully none of them needed to do so: they instead gave them to the cult of Thermodia, where priestesses of the villages and of the riding families alike, were supervising the correct sacrifices and prayers to the gods and the founding heroine of the city, whose divinity might have been lesser in the grand scheme of things, but oh so more direct and impactful to the existence of the settlement that had named itself in its honour.

And once more it was her example that was used by the priestesses and councillors alike to overcome the mistrustful and insular nature that still clung tightly to the villages and families of old. For once more the lands of Thermodia were seeing the desperate and hopeful at their fertile riversides, saw hunger and desperate in alien eyes – with hostility and mistrust in more familiar faces. But was this to be the fate of the sanctuary? To have its fertile lands soaked with the blood of those who came because of desperation and hunger?

It could not be – for to repeat the events of the cities founding would mean to reject the sacrifice that had been given, to ignore the lessons of Thermodia, to fail to see, that strife between tribes and village only left the people broken and bloodied, till nothing but the howling of the beasts remained between trampled down fields.

There would be no second Thermodia – thus there will be no second battle between tribe and village – at least not if the sanctuary can help it.

=}+{=

For Lurya, a challenge would arise. Against them stood a monster of unknowable power and ability, all that is known about it is that it took the shape of a Lion and devoured men whole. As it stands, in the period after the triumph this monster could destabilize the entire city and bring it low. The people are calling for Gohedan to stop the beast, but without more information what could be done? But it was not the only Basin troubled by recent events.
Gohedan listens to his advisors bicker and squabble, sitting upon his throne imperiously as he watches them argue over how to respond to the beast. It comes from the north, it strikes at random, and it eats the hearts of livers of his people. And that is all they know. There are calls to lead hunting parties, to lead a full army against the beast, and many other things besides. He listens, and he ponders. They had long since come to the conclusion that it was some form of soul-eating beast. So, he would make sacrifice to the Gods, to appease them should it turn out to be one of their pets....

The King's eyes turn to the spear by the side of his throne. It is a great and terrible thing, a haft of hickory tipped with a wicked iron point. His large hand grasps it, and he taps it agains the floor once, calling Order to his court. The advisors fall silent, for the King has heard their counsel, and now he will speak. His eyes are filled with a fierce and burning will. The King had come to Lurya as its homes were wood and its streets filled with the laments of its women, as its warriors fell in battle against the hordes of monsters beyond the walls. Now its homes were of stone and laughter once again resounded amongst its walls.

This was his city, and he would not let it fall to Monsters again.

The City of Pillars - Home of the Shaaitha

The City of Pillars was born from challenge. The seven clans of the Shaaitha had been forged into a single city state. Driven into each other's arms by rival tribes living in the forests and hills further inland. Driven from their inland homes the seven clans of the Shaaitha settled on the islands and shores around the mouth of the Shaai River. From the river the clans took the name for their united people. But for a people used to being spread across their own historic lands, to be gathered all in one place causes no small amount of tensions.

Their City of Pillars is placed at a natural harbour with the districts (each corresponding to one of the seven clans) radiating out from the centre to the outer walls. Totem poles mark the clans, sub-clans, lineages, the homes of heroes and priests, and the temples.

Three islands guard the harbour called Greater Saysutshun and Lesser Saysutshun, and the smallest Kunghit Island. Greater Saysutshun lies to the north, Lesser Saysutshun to the south, and Kunghit between them controlling the passage to the harbour. All three islands are inhabited and are used as neutral areas outside the rest of the radiating districts. Barracks, slipyards, storehouses, and industrial buildings are kept on the islands. Each island has walls and a fort.

The Shaai River marks the eastern edge of the City of Pillars. The broad river valley and delta not only a fertile place to plant crops but the water itself is host to enormous salmon runs every year.

Clans
Tlinga
KalGa Jaad
Ki-ish
Gyaan
Suwnexm
Taax-sh
Koyaah

Notable Persons
Xhuuyaa - both a hero and priest, Xhuuyaa was born to a prince of the Tlinga Clan and a warrior woman of the KalGa Jaad Clan. Xhuuyaa rose to prominence as a leader among the seven clans during their migration and settlement of the City of Pillars.
Frost Woman - a hardened warrior from the glacier dominated slopes of the high mountains. Silent and fiercely skilled in the Path of Three Spears, her preferred fighting style (throwing spear, short spear, long spear). Serves as Xhuuyaa's bodyguard and sometimes his enforcer.
Kuuja - a shaman in the old style, Quuja wears a cloak of raven feathers, carries an arbutus staff carved with totems, he comes and goes as he pleases. Weaving wisdom, spells, and tricks as he does.

Landmarks
The Temple of the Boiling Waters - Located at the shore the temple was constructed around a hole in the rock that forms an underground passage to the sea. When the tides come and go it makes the water appear to boil and froth. A natural phenomenon that the priests consider to be a way to commune with the gods.
Tl-ples Fort - meaning Deep Waters Fort, Tl-ples is a fortified harbour that houses the Shaaitha navy, it is on Kunghit Island.
Council Hall - a vast longhall that is home to the Clan Council, large enough to house all the leaders, heroes, and priests from each clan.
The Black Lion - a large hill made from upthrust bedrock overlooking the harbour, also the name of the citadel built upon the rock. Near the summit is a natural spring, providing the citadel with fresh water.

Ideological Movements of the Second Temple​

The destructions of the First Temple at the hands of the Beast of Heyzeus sent shockwaves throughout the society of the People. While there had been rumblings of anti-establishment ideologies practically since Josif first led them to the promised land, it was only in the destruction of the First Temple that these ideologies would consolidate into concrete movement. After all, the destruction of the First Temple was proof that something had gone wrong. The only question was what.

The Establishmentarians
In truth, not everyone was opposed to the ways things were. Many priests, especially those in higher positions of power, argued that the fault was not in the system itself, but rather in those who had decided to place their own selfish greed above their love of Heyzeus. As such, the Establishmentarians were a group against major reform. They claimed the Beast of Heyzeus had slain all the corrupt priests, and given no further orders, so no further reform was needed.

While some argue the Establishmentarians were simply looking out for their own power, the truth is far more complex. It is true the followers of this ideology were predominantly amongst the upper ranks of the clergy, but many had been thrust into these roles following the deaths of their predecessors. If they had truly simply desired to retain their new power, there likely would have been a very real concern that Heyzeus would send the Beast once more to slay them. Instead, the Establishmentarian doctrine held that they were chosen by Heyzeus primarily because of their deep piety, and that using their power to change traditions established by the First Priest-King without a direct command from Heyzeus was pure folly.

The Reformist
The largest ideological movement in the Second Temple was the Reformists. A sect largely devoted to making reforms to the leadership in order to avoid corruption, this group was also the most divided, with different sub-movements each holding their own ideas on how exactly the Temple should be reformed. The one concurrent strain of thought that kept the Reformists together, however, was a belief that too much consolidation of power in a single individual was corrupting. While they largely agreed that decisions should be made by the clergy, the largest sect believed this should be done by a council of High Priests.

The sect also largely believed in a general devolution of power. In this manner, local priests would have much more control over the affairs of their flock, while the head of the Temple, whatever form it may take, would have fewer powers altogether. The exact nature and degree of this devolution, however was hotly debated.

The Devotees
The Devotees can be argued to be the most extreme faction of the reformists, and indeed evolved off of the main reformist ideologies. However, while the reformists still hold that the priests should be the main source of political authority, the Devotees believe that political power in any capacity is too corruptive, and therefore must be avoided. Thus, they advocate for the instatement of a King that, while holding power with the blessing of the Priesthood, would not himself be a priest. The priests would only focus on matters of religion, though they would of course have the power to depose a King should he become overly corrupted by rule.

The Devotees advocate for the priests using the time freed up from political affairs to devote themselves more fully to Heyzeus. They advocate for routine fasting and prayer, as well as a general rejection of material wealth, which they see as another corrupting influence on the soul. This total denouncement of power in the name of purity left them largely as a fringe group, but nonetheless dangerous in their appeal to non-priests who had begun to amass power in the relatively newly settled society.

The Zealots
The Zealots were perhaps the most radical of the mainstream movements. They believed that the mere existence of a supreme political authority not directly appointed my Heyzeus was heretical. With the legitimate line of Priest-Kings ended, none could truly claim to speak with the authority of Heyzeus' will. Until a new Messiah was appointed by Heyzeus himself, the Zealots argued for a return to the largely informal and loose hierarchy the People held while nomads. The People would largely live as equals, with a Chief of limited power only being selected by the wise men of The Temple (prominent Priests and elders) temporarily chosen in times of crisis.

Unlike the Devotees, the Zealots did not believe that the Priesthood should retreat from the world out of fear of being "corrupted" by earthly vices. Rather, the Zealots advocated for Priests to entrench themselves even more firmly into the community as advisors and wisemen, while also performing roles besides performing holy rituals. In order to maintain humility, Priests were expected to take up some sort of alternative role in society alongside that of a clergyman, and to receive payment in the Priestly role only through voluntary donations.

The Misotheists
The Misotheists were not a mainstream sect, but nonetheless cannot be ignored when discussing ideologies at the start of the Second Temple. The Misotheists first appeared as a group who advocated that the Beast of Heyzeus should be hunted down and slain for the destruction of the First Temple. These calls were rejected by all major ideological movements, and quickly faded away, but the Misotheist Movement did not.

Essentially a secret sect, the Misotheists believed that the destruction of the First Temple was proof that Heyzeus had turned against The People. It was only logical, then, that The People should in turn shun or perhaps even directly attack Heyzeus in turn. There were two main sub-sects within the Misotheists. One advocated for a turn to some other, lesser god in the pantheon, or perhaps even elevating the entirety of The People's pantheon to a status equal to or above Heyzeus. The other rejected the presence of any and all gods, advocating for a destruction of religion altogether. Both movements were rather small as of the beginning of the construction of the Second Temple, but their embrace of violence against the clergy made them incredibly dangerous nonetheless.

Unity through Strength,
Strength through Unity

Of all the things within the city of Heltor, there were two that kept the city together through trying times. Two things that united the people under a grand cause to create a city, to create a world they could triumph in, ruling over monster, man, beast, fae, and even gods if given the chance.

The first was the man himself, Heltor Caloni, the legend of his people. Through sheer willpower he had brought his tribe together, conquering or allying with other tribes to grow his own. Without him there would be no city, but it was also more than that. He was the drive for the, the one who commanded the respect and awe of the people. So great was the respect and adoration, the only reason he wasn't worshiped to some capacity was because he did not ask to be. He merely asked that people unify and come through during these troubling times, and come through they would.

The second was born from the first, and while it was the lesser of the two it was still important. Shortly after starting the construction of the city, Heltor shared with his people the reason for why he sought to creat such a place. For he had received a vision of grandeur and wonder, where his people would prosper for generations upon generations to come. Men would fall, beast folk would bow, and the monsters where already cowed by the superiority of Heltor's people.

All of this and more was promised to Heltor in his vision by a hauntingly beautiful lady, who's grace and elegance would cause any man to shake and grovel. Yet Heltor had stood strong, and thus impressed the lady enough for her to look favorably upon them. The people took had taken this to heart, for how could they not trust the words of their ruler, their leader, their savior many times over? Due to the simple fact the lady refused to provide a name, the people had given her one, calling her Eleanor. Because of the vague and lacking information about this being, many people began to speculate, and thus the debates began. Religions from every tribe were scrutinized, trying to find correlation to this new figure. Stories were studied, knowledge revisited, and some elders would occassionally hold discussions on who Eleanor could possibly be.

Some state she is a goddess of some kind, though there is often disagreement on which one of the seven she is. Others say she is no god, but a mortal given divine power by the gods to rule over the earth, a demigod. Others still say that she is neither, a mortal like any other who once tapped into vast powers and achieved immortality of her own accord, and sought to share this knowledge with her chosen people, though whether this is for good or evil is once more up for debate.

There is, however, a silent group among the vocal. A minority that does not speak much, that does not do much, but simply is, and will share their message to whomever will listen. These few state that all others are wrong, and that the truth is much darker than the rest. For they say Eleanor gained her powers not by her own power or as a gift of the gods. No, rather, they say that she assisted in slaying a god herself, and took their skin and powers. Now she is that god, a god of lies and deceit that will bring them both glory and woe. But there was still hope. For as long as Eleanor is happy with their belief, they say, then she will bring her tricks upon their enemies, and bless her chosen people with good luck.

But then, who truly knows? And does it really matter who Eleanor truly is? As long as the people have Heltor, and he continues to speak well of their new patron, the people would continue to worship her in their own odd myriad of ways.

Last edited:
(Joint Post between @Thiccroy and @Space Jawa )

When the boat was spied in the distance, city guards dived into the water and made their way towards it. In and out of the water they went, making it easy to know they were there, yet difficult to know their precise location between emergences. As they reached the boat, some of the guards stuck their heads up and treaded water as they got a better look at the arrival. Then, once they had an idea of just who was arriving, most the guards returned to shore, while a few stayed with the boat and escorted it in.

To Apo, these people were strange. They swam to greet them, though in silence. Apo had not been this far away from home, nor had his men, who held their rigging as tightly as the hilts of their blades or their spears, looking at these strange men.

The ship struck shore, and ten men, with ropes in hands, jumped out to pull the ship out from the low tide. Apo was already out, his shield and sword sheathed and slung over his back, and he stood, his position wide and his hips held by his palms, staring up at the ruined city before him, and the guards about them.

By the time the boat reached the shore, a man was rapidly approaching. He joined with the guards that awaited the arrivals, including those who re-emerged from the sea upon its landing.

"On behalf of our Queen Hydriss and the people of her city, I bid ye welcome." The man said once he finally reached them. He gave a shallow bow towards them. "I am Fathros, personal aide to Her Majesty. Pray tell, who be thee and to what do we owe thy arrival?"

Apo took a moment to hear the man out, and look between them all. The young adventurer then nodded his head. "Apo, brother to King Kangars, of Grobiņa, due south over the gulch. We come in peace, trade and willingness to help, if need be. My quest is business of my own, I'm afraid, and we are simply visiting and lending any helping hand we can, for now." Apo replied, bending down to bow as well.

"Your Queen honors us, either way."

After a moment, Fathros turned the Merencians gathered about them.

"Prepare lodgings!" Fathros declared to those with him, and already a pair were off. "We must provide shelter while they are here with us."

"And you and any who wish to join ye shall be guests to dine with Her Majesty at a meal prepared in your honor." Fathros said to Apo.

"You honor us again!" Apo said wholeheartedly. "I bring ale from the granaries of my people. Though it may be the drink of lower people, let it be a gift to you and Your Majesty." Apo said, preparing ten of his men to join him, with two kegs of ale, though some did this hesitantly. They did not entirely want to part with it.

Apo would follow Fathros into Hydriss, with the ale and men alongside him.

Apo and his men were led to a hall, a large building that was among the most complete they would see during their time in the city. Even as they entered, Merencians were moving about, preparing places for them. While the people of the city were clearly diligent in their work, it would not have been difficult to discern that there was a struggle of sorts to acquire all that was needed to provide for the recent arrivals.

Tables were prepared, chairs provided, and with time, food was placed before them. Most of it was of the sea, and all of it arranged in attempt at presentation, though a certain flair was lacking.

Finally, once all was set before them and prepared, guards stood at attention, and one let out a pronouncement.

"Presenting Her Royal Majesty, Queen Hydriss, of the Merencia!"

A door was opened, and in stepped a woman of whose importance there was no doubt. She walked with a regal and elegant step, her clothes were of a higher quality if seemingly rapidly assembled, and her fur was as groomed as one could expect. Fathros followed behind, and took a position nearby as Queen Hydriss reached the chair at the head of the table.

"Prince Apo, we are honored by your visit." She said, and offered a bow of her head. "I am Hydriss, Queen of this city and the Merencia."

She sat down, then took up a cup and held it to the side.

"Our guests brought gift of ale." She said. "I would have some."

Her cup was taken from her hands, and she indicated to the food before them.

"Please, partake as ye see fit." She said to Apo.

Apo was deeply humbled by the diligence and honors he had been given and shown. In fact, Apo would take mild samples of the foods and drinks before him, bowing deeply to the Queen's words.

"You honor me with your hospitality, deeply so. I am thankful you have shown me and my men that the world beyond our City's walls is one with compassionate and diligent folk as yours. I hope you like the taste of our ale, it was brewed not long before me and my brotherhood departed from my brother's realm."

Apo explained, nodding toward the ale, before taking a moment to eat.

"I must ask, Your Grace, of what troubles your people. Your land is in ruins, what happened?"

Her cup returned to her, Hydriss took a sip from it before setting it on the table. Her eyes closed, and for several moments she sat in silence, as if briefly mourning.

"Since the dawn of our creation at the hands of Krakoa, He of the Deep, the Merencia were the people of the sea." Hydriss said, though her eyes remained closed.

"Deep beneath the waves, in distant land, we did prosper and grow strong under Krakoa's guidance and blessing. Yet perhaps we grew too strong, too prosperous. Our people became proud and arrogant. We took the blessings of Krakoa for granted."

Hydriss opened her eyes and looked to Apo.

"Our people turned our backs on the very patron who granted us all that we had."

She paused as she took another sip. Then, she stood as to more directly address all present.

"For generations did Krakoa warn us of what was to come if we did not turn back to him and reclaim our lost ways. Yet for generations did our people ignore him. Our people's affronts grew too great to be overlooked, for too long was Krakoa's patience tested. So it was that Krakoa turned his back on those who had first turned their backs on him. His blessings were withdrawn, and a great disaster was brought upon our people, our civilization, our ways of life."

"To ensure our punishment was complete, it was decreed by Krakoa, He of the Deep, that we were to be exiled from our ancestral homelands. Banished from the depths were the Merencia. Our place would henceforth be upon the land. To ensure this punishment could never be subverted, he further declared that for all generations henceforth, our children would be incapable of living beneath the waves. However much we would seek to return to the lands below, our descendents survival would require returning to the surface once more."

"Yet Krakoa is not a being completely without mercy. I, the last surviving member of the royal lineage that has ruled the Merencia since the dawn of our creation, I was allowed to survive the catastrophe that brought us ruin, and was gifted with the wisdom necessary to grant us hope for survival. So I led our surviving people on journey to find a new homeland above the waves. Long and dangerous was this journey, and even many of those who survived Krakoa's reckoning did not live to see its end."

"Yet here we arrived, here at this, a new land that where we have been granted opportunity to start again and rebuild."

Finally, Hydriss sat and took another sip of her ale.

"Since our earliest days, we have been accustomed to the ways of the sea." She said, turning her attention more directly towards Apo once again. "In having been cast out from it, we have found it necessary to relearn much of what was taken for granted. The ruins you see around us, they are but the results of the first steps in our efforts to remember that we can no longer rely on that which we have always known."

"Fortunately, I believe we have finally reclaimed an understanding of some of these basic principals, as the building around you is testament toward."

Having finally finished, Hydriss gave a small signal, and her plate was attended to, food put upon it that she might eat of it as she desired.

Apo was taken aback by the story. Though he did not believe most of it, and many of the things did not go well with his own teachings and traditions, Apo listened carefully. He was young, and full of curiosity, still. Simple differences will not ruin his fun, or his hobbies. The adventuring Prince nodded at the end, looking around the Hall and raising his goblet.

"Then I drink to you and your people, Your Grace. May you live long here and prosper. I hope, when I return to Grobiņa, to take my rightful throne, I will be able to build a long lasting friendship between our people."

"Here, here!" One of his men said, raising his own cup in a joint toast, though many of the warriors looked skeptical of the tale.

Hydriss raised her own glass, meeting the prince's toast.

"We were aware that there was another people living in this bay." Hydriss said once the toast was taken. "Yet you are the first we have met of them. Please, do share your tale with us."

"Oh, well," Apo began, putting his goblet down with a shy smirk. "You flatter me with wanting to hear of it, Your Grace. Our people's tale is of wandering tribes under wandering lords, all squabbling and fighting. In those ancient days, the Gods were silent with us, until my father, Bearripper, was born. When he saved a wayward lord's life, by tearing apart the maw of a bear, he was gifted the Lord's daughter, a holy maiden of the name Māra- my mother."

Apo spoke, expressively, and his men listened with intent, some too young to have met their leader, some old enough to have battled alongside Bearripper against the mighty Gnolls that had infested the lands of Grobiņa, before their settlement- looking on in pride.

"Soon enough, blessed by the Gods, even Dievas, the Father of All, Bearripper had me, my middle and older brothers as his children, and left his Kingdom, the city of Grobiņa, to us. Soon enough, after his departure, the Elders spoke of his death at the hands of a mighty Ogre, with three heads, who could break mountains with his voice. They speak, that he died, killing the monster, as the Gods intended. And I perceive that the Gods intend me to find his bones, and bring them back to my people, and rid them of my elder brother's tyranny."

Many of his warriors banged their fists and cups onto the table, cheering the young Apo on.

"Your elder brother rules in tyranny?" Hydriss asked, clearly concerned by this news.

"Very much so. He has taken the ships of our freemen. He drinks wine from distant lands, lounges in furs of unknown creatures and hunts lavishly, while the people, and even our holy Elders, are given rationed food, even if our store rooms are filled to the brim! His warriors push his agenda with steel and hard fist, and are paid much to keep themselves in line. Worse yet, I believe he seeks conquest and expansion within this Bay, though I have been gone for a week and a half, so I cannot say what his newest choice of madness is. His greatest help is my younger brother, Kaupo, who is a coward, fighting with the bow and arrow, dishonorably murdering Elders that did not bless my elder brother's decisions!" Apo spoke in anger, but also guilt, guilt that he had not the strength or power to stop his brother, and guilt that his own blood had turned its back on his father's ideals.

"If this quest to reclaim your father's bones shall bring an end to your brother's tyranny, then surely it is a noble one." Hydriss said. "We have not much to spare, but we shall provide you with what provisions we are able. Furthermore, if ye be willing, allow me to call forth warriors from among our own people, that they may join your quest and aid in its success."

"No, no, Your Grace, I would not dare ask any more than what you have already given me!" Apo exclaimed, shaking his head. "Forgive me, but I dare not. What I ask, though, is your promise that you will be patient with my brother, if he ever comes to your shores.

Though I will seek to be quick with my footing and my sails to find my father's bones and return from my adventures, I must implore that you do not seek wrath upon my people. Know that when I return, we shall be great allies, this I swear, for the betterment of both of our lands and for the graciousness you have shown me and my ilk." He stood and bowed deeply to the Queen.

"Very well." Queen Hydriss said. She gave a slow, shallow nod. "While we will of course take what steps are necessary to defend ourselves should the matter be forced upon us, I vow that until such time as your return, we shall seek to avoid doing more than is needed to ensure our survival. Thus shall we seek to ensure that when you return and sweep aside your brother's reign, there need be no bad blood between your people and ours."

Apo then stood, standing before the Queen, and extending a hand.

"Then let us shake on it, Your Grace, as we do in our land to solidify this opportune moment and all its fruit that it shall bare in the future."

Queen Hydriss looked to the outstretched hand, then to Prince Apo. She was confused, more than anything.

"To 'shake on it'. I am unfamiliar with this gesture." Hydriss said.

"Take my hand, and we shall shake it. It is a show of trust, bonding our promises together, or a meeting between brothers of blood or steel." Apo still held the hand out, smiling.

"Then I agree to 'shake on it'." Hydriss said as she stood. While there was the slightest hint of uncertainty, she placed her hand against Apo's, and then shook as hard as Apo allowed.

Apo shook heartily, and his men cheered the two on.

Once the shake had concluded, Hydriss rose her glass of ale.

"To your triumphant return, that it may herald a friendship between our two peoples that will last for all times!"

"To friendship!" Apo and his warriors roared, and toasted the Queen back, drinking heartily.

So it was that Queen Hydriss ruled that for a period of 10 years the Merencia would not retaliate against King Kangars and the people of Grobiņa should they act against the people of Hydriss. For a period of 10 years, if the people of Grobiņa were to act against the Merencia, the Merencia would take only what action was deemed necessary to ensure the survival of Hydriss and freedom from the hands of the Tyrant, King Kangars.

This was done in accordance with Queen Hydriss' vow and promise to Prince Apo, that upon his successful return there might be no resentment between the two cities, and they might instead grow ever closer as most trusted allies.
And so Prince Apo departed the city of Hydriss with the full support of the Merencia. For Queen Hydriss, in her wisdom, recognized that the success or failure of Apo's quest would shape the fate of both their peoples.
-- Tome of the Land

Setting things right

Ussara was kneeling to the statue of Ila-Chi in the temple at Dar-Salan.

Architecture-wise the temple-complex of the city wasn't an impressive feat. There were several well-painted and well-engraved vases, and wooden statues for each major god and hero that helped through with the migration, and there were some precious jewels and whatnot, but otherwise each temple looked like every other building in the city. Really, the most impressive part of the temple-complex was the size, which covered a good chunk of the city.

But architectural details didn't make the temple what it is, it is the soul of the temple that matters. And as Ussara got up and strolled in the grounds of the complex, he found even that was missing.

He remembered back in his childhood when the people came here during most special ocassions, being marriages, childbirths, and especially all major anniversaries and celebrations, to thank the gods who delivered them from Aghufal, and the gods, in turn, have blessed the city with bontiful harvests, large families and deliverance from diseases. He still remembered the great feasts, where there were dancers and singers aplenty, and the temple gave out a vast array of fruits, vegetables, meat, beer, and other delicious foodthings to anyone who could grab it.

Nowadays he had to spend most of the year eating a few loafs of bread (the ones you need to cut into tiny pieces for them to even be digestible), and in times of celebration his acolytes had to make-do with heavily-salted steak.

The only people he saw on a regular basis were fellow priests, shamans and oracles, and maybe some rich couple wanting to get married and ask the gods that they protect their business and lineage and whatever worldly crap they need, only to forget the gods exist immediatly after the celebration. Only recently did people start to get interested back into the business of keeping the gods happy, only when things are starting to look grim, and even then very few people even come to the temple.

And judging from the few strolls he took across the city a few years ago, things don't get better. Everyone was arguing with eachother over this or that price, or because of some bullcrap in the raid, or talking of how hard it is to get by anywhere without getting mugged. Speaking of mugging, he wouldn't have believed that anyone would have dared to mug a priest, a servant of the gods, in broad daylight. Until he got mugged in broad daylight. Twice.

With all this in mind, how could he be surprised that not only Aghufal has returned, but that every tribe surrounding the Khivasai hates them? He's certainly never seen anyone from outside the city and some adjacent towns coming into the temple, and the only thing he knows about the outside world is when he listens to some drunken thugs describing how they burnt down this or that village, while bragging about all the girls they took as captives.

The idiots at the council want to gather an army to attack Aghufal, and barely showing the most minimal piety to their gods, again not out of the gratitude deities need, but to protect their selfish needs so they can continue their glorious feasts. They've turned their back on the Gods and angered all their neighbors, and they expect to fight no less than Aghufal himself? No wonder they can't even take down Aswari, the monster who's been taking away people.

"Ila-Chi-ta-Ussara, the arch-priests have been reunited, and they require your presence in the Temple Hall" Ussara was awaken from his mental rant by a new voice. A rare occurence these days.

Ussara turned to face the newcomer, a young boy in white robes. Ussara smiled at the boy. "Just the priests? Has anyone else come?"

"Yes. Several chieftains of the Council have arrived."

Good, his contacts have arrived. "Very well, I shall be there at once." Ussara headed off to the Hall.

For too long the Khivasai have ignored the Gods. It was time for his fellow mortals to remember who saved their lives.

Last edited:
Eyes in the Water

The King landed in the water with a loud thud. In his younger, agile years, King Tibertius could have recovered and shot up out of the sea like an arrow. It was the gift of a physically fit body, and the water magic of...he'd avoid naming his curse as much as possible. But back to the present, Tibertius wasn't young anymore. He felt the weight of the ocean even at such shallow depths.And then the ocean pulled. The King sank. He reached out again and again, but the light only shrunk further from him. Deeper he fell into darkness, until his vision was nothing but darkness. The ambitious King was all alone.

Or at least, Tibertius thought he was alone. In the distance, a pair of glowing yellow eyes was approaching. Such a sight this deep in the ocean would terrify even the most hardened sailor. If only the King didn't recognize that enigmatic aura being released from the creature. Then, the fear would be simple. The action he must take could be comprehensible. Instead, his muscles tensed up not from only fear, but reverence. Not only from reverence, but confusion. His curse had arrived. Would explain his ability to breath fine down here.

"Heemel Tibertius," Xon said. The King could barely make him out, but he'd seen Xon enough times to remember the god's scales, the god's (pointless) gils, and the god's eternally crusted lips in spite of the many times the god talked to him in water.

"Your Holiness," Tibertius said. He tried to bow out of instinct...only to kind of spin around floating instead.

"Even your greetings are getting stale," Xon said. The King almost had a heart attack right there. "I am beginning to think this agreement between us has bore as much fruit as it can…"

"The Raid!" Tiberius said, swimming closer. "In a few years the legendary Founding Heroes, the ImperialNavy of Urk, and hopefully a couple allies will hunt down the Beast and the Draga. Surely you find such an event to be potential for excitement, romance, tragedy-"

"My patience is not infinite, no matter how much you pray for it to be. Do not disappoint me." The fishlike deity swam in the opposite direction. When it appeared he was alone, the king's shoulders sagged. At the peak of his relief, the voice of his curse entered his head one last time. "Oh, I almost forgot. I found it quite amusing for you to believe you'll live long enough to see your raid to its completion. That foolish, arrogant pride has a certain charm to it. Keep it up." As soon as his god's voice finished, something grabbed him and began to move toward the surface.

King Tiberius' eyes shot open and he coughed up some water. "His Majesty lives!" The king heard some shout.

"Father!" He heard his son say before his tiny heir hugged him from the side.

He sat up and took the scene around him. The king, his wife and son, and a soaked member of the Imperial Tritons were situated at the edge of the beach. Only a few feet away was a mass drunken brawl between the people of Urk. Even further away, the urban center of Urk was up in flames. Right. The king remembered the Procession to Xon he was leading before getting knocked into the sea.

"Thank Xon you are alive," he heard his Queen say. She gave that smile she half-heartedly gave every peasant who greeted her on the streets. "What happened, your majesty?"

"Our merciful deity decided to have a conversation," Tiberius said. All at once, everyone present and listening shared a moment of unease.

"What did he say?" The Queen said.

"He said…" - quite amusing for you to believe you'll live long enough to see your raid to its completion - "...that he wishes us a good raid." He ruffled his son's hair before standing up.

"See my love. I told you the ceremony was a good idea."

The king looked back toward the city. The stack housing was still standing, still intact. Not enough destroyed. Have we really become so stagnant?

"Tiberius?" The king was shaken from his thoughts by his wife who was now a hair's breadth away.

"I was basking in our great accomplishment. Truly, Urk is a shining jewel, a beacon to all in these dangerous waters." The king snapped his fingers. The drenched guard along with two others appeared at his side, standing in formation, and then stabbing their polearms into the ground.

"Get me a replacement robe from the palace," the king said. The first one ran toward the city.

"Get me another cup of wine." The second one left toward the feast.

"As for you…" the king's eyes scanned the giant brawl. "That man in the green toga?" The king pointed," knock him out. What one gives must be paid back in full." The third one walked calmly toward his target.

The second guard returned with an entire pitcher of red wine. The king gulped down half of it in one swig. "Now then," he said to his wife, "let us discuss slaying a monster."

EDIT: Fixed the formatting lost in copy+paste from Google Docs

Last edited:

Oh Great Heroes and Divine Scions alike, hear our plea and take heed!

The Fair City of Medias has fallen upon the spell of misfortune and its lands are soaked by the endless rain that is the displease of heavens.
Sages and priests cannot appease the Gods, nor they can find the way. Phebeie the Oracle, though blind has keen sight, reaching sharply very far away like an Yppoloi arrow.

Far to the West, where the land dries under the scorching gaze of the merciless Sun, far beyond those places of thirst and paucity lies our hope and salvation. For a powerful artifact of great power hides over there and its power will bring an end to the suffering of our people.

We beseech the aid and send forth to the winds of the world this cry for help, so the daring and the valiant may prove their worth before their own eyes and those of the Gods. Yet fame and glory will not suffice for these brave souls.
Thus, we will be granting riches and great gifts to the one who can deliver us: The Thousand Tears of Discord will be a fitting price for retrieving in glorious quest an artifact of power, trading power for power as the Gods intended.

Lastly, should the glitter of gold nor the glory of fame call out to your heroic soul across the seas, then perhaps the might of love will prevail when all else have failed. With great pain and sadness, Medias will offer its greatest price of all to whoever rise up as its newfound champion: Fair and beautiful like morning dew upon pristine marble, we offer the Oracle's hand in marriage.

- Let it be known to all, by our hands:
Senator Hristos, Senator Korinna, Senator Omiros.

Last edited:
A Great Meet, Banquet of the Clans

To see how many have accepted their invitations humbles me. For nothing proves the enormity of a responsibility as much as seeing it with one's own eyes. This matter is one of great importance for all of us, whether it be sharing the fruit of our labor with outsiders after it has grown ripe or seeking the best for the people one leads, so let me address the matter directly now:

At this time, we do not have enough for all.

A truth that I aim to make lie, starting here and now.

If you wish to join the People, then let your worries be calmed, for the People will work alongside you to see this desire realized. We shall work to extend our reach and gather the resources necessary to expand further and make a permanent home for you. Not only in the physical means, but a place in the cultural way of the People, in the governance, and in the community. For one must belong to truly be at home.

Just as we reach out to you, so too must you grasp our proffered hands. Those of you that are found most worthy will be welcomed to join us first, and proof of this worth will be found in three ways:

Those that prove their worth through prowess via the contests we shall hold will be seen favorably, for let it be known that the People recognize talent.

Those that prove their worth through by meeting our efforts to meet you and learn who you are will be seen favorably, for the People are happy to have neighbors that wish to know them just as they wish to know you.

Those that put their all into toiling alongside the People will earn the most favor, for nothing speaks louder to one's will than the actions they put forth to see a dream made true.

These three paths to Luman are ones we shall light for you. Do not feel constrained by the aforesaid examples, for one may always tread their own path and still arrive at the same destination as others. Rest assured, my oath to you stands: If you work to stand alongside us, we shall work to see rise to peerhood. No matter how long it takes.

Now let us partake, and have a taste of what our victory will be.
-Pledge of Lumanarch Padeem​

Kyrennopolis
ΙΙΠΔΙΙΙΠ (Year 78)

Kypselos was a simple merchant like his father before him. He braved the wilds alone, traversing over a hundred dolchius between the cities of Kyrennopolis and the Prophet-King's Second Temple. His father had taught his trade well to his son and for a many harvests Kypselos is responsible for the family's livehood. He drew his small cart filled with wood carvings and bronze statues made to adore Heyzeus. Kypselos himself is a devout follower of the God of Order and holds rites in private as approved by the Prophet-King. It isn't rare for well-traveled Kyrennoi to revere the gods according to foreign rites. Faith is regarded as a household matter within Kyrennes. Approaching the end of his long journey Kypselos saw the walled city of Kyrennopolis atop the hill Pnyx. He was finally home.

When entering the city he noticed quite a bit more guards than usual. He asked them but they refused to answer. Kypselos shrugged and continued on. His house was the same as he remembered. He was welcome by his mother and his wife. His father, being of advanced age, had to stay inside. Putting away his wares at home he quickly grabbed his usual stack of 25 silver obols and went to the marketplace. Kypselos usually bought silk imported from Xentiterek and exchanged it for artworks and religious offerings which fetched a nice stack of obols in Kyrennes. The great marketplace was located on the upper level of Kyrennopolis, the center of life during the day. Fish merchants offered their newest catch, breadmakers showed their priced products, traders offered trinkets and divine offerings, artisans shown their newest statues and of course there was Orestes, the old textile merchant. Yet Kypselos was shocked to see the merchant standing before an empty cart, his wares long sold out.
"Heyzeus be with you, Orestes!"
"Long time no see, Kypselos! You made it back in one piece!"
"The Seven watched my path. I see business is better than usual."
"Bah, you prankster! Have you not heard of the Xenti yet? They refuse to let me and my pals within their city. No visit, no silk. At this rate I'm going under!"
"That's terrible. Plentiful silk made you fortune Orestes. What will you do?"
"I got myself a good couple of sons, a heathy wife and two nephews. I'm thinking of working the fields, earning my keep. But I got one recourse."
"What is it, Orestes?"
"Birds chirping to my ear that we be 'bout to go war with the Ensirex. They are weak folk, recluse in their temples. I bet I can buy me a few dozen dutiful slaves!"
"Great fortune in the misfortune, eh? We avoided war for a number of decades. Do you think it is unavoidable?"
"Follow me and we'll see."

Kypselos and Orestes went to the Great Temple. Once used to be the house of faith and regal power it now serves a different purpose. Entertainers, exhibition brawlers and trinket merchants populated the halls. The duo ventured deeper until they reached the so-called Forum. This place held a deep importance for the Kyrennoi, this is where laws and true governance is made. Being a traveling merchant Kypselos didn't have many opportunities to see the Demos at work. Six hundred citizens and even more spectators watched intently the man in the center. The speaker was Aegon, esteemed elder of the warrior clans. He advocated for war, citing the many injustices the Xenti incurred on the centaurs only this month. Being a veteran he was a man of arms, not words. Next speaker was the master hunter Pelagios. He cared little about the Xentiterek situation and rather wanted Kyrennes to focus on the new monster blighting the lands, the feathered beast named Mavpteria. He wanted a search team of hunters and warriors to find Mavpteria's nest and kill it before this creature endangers the year's harvest. Another speaker was the scholar Onesimes. Her skillful speech reminded the Demos of the decades coexisting in peace. She ultimately advocated for a diplomatic resolution. She also volunteered for the mission.

"What do you think, Orestes?"
"Hard to say. Only third of the Demos are warriors and the runner folk will assuredly vote for Pelagios."
"So it'll depend on the worker class, as usual?"
"Like usual."

Tyrea is weak, broken. The people must rebuild but there is nothing to rebuild with. There are bodies, but no materials. There is a solution, an easy one at that, to this problem. To their south is an enemy that is not destroyed or in ruins. Perhaps taking what you need from them will provide enough materials for the rebuilding of the city?

The sea, the tempestuous and fickle decider of fortune and famine for a great many peoples that rely upon it. To many, a deity which had many names and forms. For the crew of the Alabast, it was a merciful one, as the ship sailed into the harbour on a warm, calm day. The fact it was a Tyrean ship (With any emblems or iconography of the Old Tyreans painted over or removed.). The habour itself was small, and rife with the scars of conflict which it's inhabitants had either worked around or else ignored.

Yet the port was a vital link to the world for Tyrea, one it would need to use judiciously, avidly and shrewdly to rebuild the city. The city itself had few things to export, one of the key things it did have was grain; large ceramic containers filled to the brim were loaded onto the Alabast alongside far fewer containers of olive oil. With this cargo did the merchant-captain hope to be able to purchase and return with resources for Tyrea's reconstruction.

Regardless, there was a common thread of belief in the ship's cre, much more foundational than the city; That they all colectively hoped the sea remained this calm and pleasant during their voyage.

"O sisters and brothers, I thank you for yet another sufferance coming here after your day toils; I thank you to the Lord of Waters and the Divine Host for yet another night of supper to grace our table, may their blessing invigorate our mind" Mandraguna, Lord of Ceremonies of Tirtanda, solemly said.

Sitting cross legged on, in front of him were plates of food, and surrounding it, the rest of city's leadership. Once again, the City's council were meeting to talk about the states and future of their people.

"Alright, that's enough formality. Let's dig in!" Mandraguna concludes, to the cheers of his fellow.

"Finally, my stomach has been rumbling ever since I smell that fish." Azimat, the city's eldest Master Carpenter, said while pointing at today's champion of the feast, a fish large enough to make several dish at once. Its prime meat has been cut into several portion and grilled with dark sauce. The bones, head, and fins made into a soup with some wild greens in big ceramic pot. Finally, its liver and fat has been has been mixed along with some shrimps and cooked over a hot stone slab.

"Its a very fine catch, Miss Soluna. And very finely cooked too! Madam Petra, please give me a generous helping. This is old man's bones is sore from today's travail and need good fish oil to soothe it" Azimat cheerfully said.

"Bah, flattery won't get you special treatment old man! Everyone here want it too. If anything its the younger folk like me who should get more generous helping. Especially since I am the one who catch it!" Soluna, the young but talented Spearmaster sitting across Azimat said in response.

On Soluna's left side, another woman was looking back and forth with a bit confusion on her face. She lean into Soluna to said softly "But Sola, should not the prime portion goes to Lord Mandraguna if anything. After all, you did present it to him as tribute for today's feast. Or split fairly among all guest since everyone is of an equal standing ... or rather some of us are."

Soluna cringed, "Ah, I know Nirmala. We are just joking around. Such thing is common in meeting like this. Old Azimat would not dare to actually out eat everyone here. Not in this feast at least"

"Oh" Nirmala just said in small voice.

"Please, Nirmala" A beautiful voice suddenly cut in. Appearing on their side is Petrasari, wife to Mandraguna, and the First Lady of the city, who is in charge of the cooking and portioning of the feast. She elegantly served the two young woman their portion of the feast. "Though you are new to this Feast of Counsel, you have well earned your position through your masterful weaving. You are not any less entitled to tonight's blessing nor voicing your thoughts." She kindly said.

"Yes, Nala. Just follow Miss Soluna's example. Your friend certainly has never lack of daring to speak, especially against me, hahaha!" Azimat boisterously said.

Flustered, Nirmala just nods to it, while Soluna's is already going into another banter with Azimat.

Soon however the table came into a brief quiet.

"Sir Azimat maybe jokes too much," begin Arundam, another Spearmaster (to brief sound of protest from Azimat but polite chuckle from the rest). "But he has solidly true, when he said this is fine catch and cooking. Very much well done, Soluna" He said, approval clear in his tone and expression. To which now its Soluna's turn to be silently nodding in fluster.

However, Arundam also clearly have something else to say. He looked meaningfully toward Mandraguna, who give a small nod in assent.

"Brothers and sisters, this is great catch, but part of why its great is its rarity, and I fear we may not be able to have it again. Not for a good while." said Arundam

"The waters have always been generous to us, it has feed us for quite a while when the land barely give us, and it will do so for quite a while yet. But I fear that I and my fellow fishers have noticing sign that the fishery is starting to became strained."

"Our small population has allow us to sustain ourselves even with our meagre supply. The growh of our youngs has give blossom to the City many great new talents to help nurture it," Here Arundam look in the direction of Soluna and Nirmala, "but it also means Tirtanda will need even more food"

Here and Lord Mandraguna nods and spoke "I have talked with this our fishers and foragers. To me it is clear that it is time for us to range further in seek of new grounds to find food"

"I believe we can still find great catch like this, "said Soluna, "but we will need to find them further into the sea. Great fish need great areat to grow.

"There is that" agreed Arundam. "But we should also look inland"

This statement provoke a bit of consternation among the attending council, for the dangers of hinterland is well rememberd.

Mandraguna raised a hand to silence the room "The scouts send inland will explore carefully. I have confidence in the wisdom of our hunters that they will not range beyond their abilities"

"I I have made plans" said Arundam. "We'll explore by following the river and we will bring some boats. If things became to dangerous in land, we can continue - or return- through water."

"We should also look for settlements" Petrasari interject from Mandraguna's side. "It may well be that there others with whom we can trade for our need."

"Do we have anything they would want to?" One of the councillor ask.

"How come we not?" Answered Petrasari "Our lands may be poor, but we have done well with it. We have known well our good crafts, such as Azimat's and Nirmala's. Sturdy works and beautiful works. The sea has grace us not just with food, but also oil and leather and material for ornaments. It should be possible to find bonds of mutual benefits."

"First, however we have to search for them" Mandraguna said.

The talks (and feasting) continue further into the night, and other state issues are also talked about, but it is clear that enough that the City has decided to explore beyond their current horizon.

Joint IC with @willyvereb

Onesimes rarely ventured out of the city premises. As a scholar and teacher she spent most of her life between walls yet things were a bit different on that day. She had a mission and as one of the best speakers of the Akademos she felt obligated to resolve this crisis. Onesimes was young for her station, only past 28 winters. She had a flowing black mane reaching past her waist. Normally she'd wear a toga woven of finely dyed silk but out of caution she forbade both herself and her escorts to wear anything of silk. There's 6 dolchios between the two cities, a day's walk for humans but only a couple of hours for centaurs. Onesimes can already see the rising odd forms of the silken constructs woven onto the trees the city was built around.

Next into view were the simple wooden fortifications of the city, using tall strong trees as anchoring points for the walls, with woven silk baskets placed high up on the branches as watch towers. From one such tower a pair of Xenti guards glided down towards the centaurs from some distance away. Both were large for their kind, a bit larger than the average human, and of a mixed brownish white coloring. The first of the two made an odd clicking chittering sound with their hand upraised, and the second, apparently more versed in the language of the Kyrennoi spoke up. "What is your reason for coming?" A pretty polite query all things considered. "I am Oneismes, scholar and orator from Kyrennes. I represent Kyrennes in this act of mediation between states. I come to see the wrongs my people have committed to incur the wrath of Ensirex. I am also authorized by the demos to seek an agreement and fair resolution to the issue. By the law of gods which protects all mediators, let us through!"

Upon hearing Onesimes' explanation the more verbose guard thought for a moment, then chittered to his companion, who with an effort took in the air and flew back towards the city. The remaining guard gestured with a bronze-tipped spear towards the gates, which began to open as the other guards' flight brought him near. "He goes to bring news to the Temple. I will guide you to the Temple Base." And with that, the brown-white furred Mothfolk began heading towards the gate, leading the party of Kyrennoi through a city in the early stages of development, with wood and stone buildings interspersed between or built against the base of tall trees, with woven silk constructions built onto the trees' sides and branches, or as extensions of the buildings themselves, and variously colored and shaped Xenti walking or flitting about on their own business, casting curious glances towards the centaurs as they passed by.

Eventually they were led to the base of a large open construction, built of brilliant pale stone. Stairs led up the height of a tall Xentiterek to an open platform, onto which the altars and symbols of the various gods were interspersed evenly around the central altar to Ananesh. Of the groups of priests and supplicants gathered, those representing two groups broke off and approached the delegation. The first were dressed in blue silk robes, accentuating patterns of waves and water, and of rivers seen from above, as well as various fish, lizards, and amphibians. The Xenti at the head of this group was clearly older, his antennae drooping somewhat, his fur not the lustrous white of youth, but a fading blue-grey. He had the scales of fish and lizards woven into his silk robes, and an impatient manner. He bore a staff which prominently featured the winding figure of the Water-Lizard etched into its surface, topped with an oddly luminescent stone. The second group was dressed in greens, browns and reddish hues, the figures of beasts and scenes of the hunt and war were stitched into their clothing, and their leader was a Xenti much younger than the first leader, a tall figure with black fur mixed with dark brown, and sporting four arms to most of the Xenti's two. She held in her hand what was as much a spear as a staff, tipped as it was with the claw of a giant mantis, and her clothing had hides and chitinous plates stitched onto it. The guard who had escorted them bowed and flashed a different hand-movement as they faced each of the two priests, before introducing them to the centaurs. "These are Geltrol and Anshula, High Entu of Bokrug and High Entu of Valanzur. They will represent the city in this matter, such is the will of the Ensi." With another respectful signal to them all, he took flight and headed back to his post.

"I am Oneismes, mediator on the side of Kyrennes. I'm honored to meet you. Our two nations lived in harmony for generations. Trade between our cultures has been beneficial for both sides. Yet only two moons ago you closed off your gates and denied access to my kind. What happened? What grave offense inspired you to avoid contact with not only a group but our entire nation?" Oneismes inquired. Without knowing why and what caused this crisis she has no means to mediate it between the two. It was the Entu of Bokrug who responded, accusation in his voice. "Our farms and fields began to be attacked by a vicious and terrible feathered beast, it would appear from the direction of the river and brought ruin to our crops and beasts. Now our people must rely upon what we have stored from last year. We prayed to the gods, seeking answer and burning offerings, but we heard only silence for days. Finally, a vision came to me from Bokrug. It pointed to the north, to where your city lay, and I saw a caravan of your people coming. The message was clear to me. You have offended the gods, and your offense has brought suffering to both of our peoples. Bokrug is demanding an offering to appease his anger."

Just as it seemed he would go on, the Entu of Valanzur stepped forward, cutting off Geltrol. Anshula's voice was raspy from a scar that crossed her fur and carapace near her neck. "I too have seen a vision of my goddess, and she has offered to grant us aid. She will intercede with the other gods, other than Bokrug" she cast a clance towards Geltrol "If we will do this thing for her. She wishes for us to prove ourselves against this monster, to demonstrate we have not lost touch with the strength she demands of her followers. If you will bring to your people a message to gather an offering to Bokrug, and a force of their finest hunters and warriors, we will test ourselves against the Kithalno." Also called Shadefeather, the Xentiterek name shared a lot with the Kyrennoi's name for the feathered beast Mavpteria (Blackwing).

Onesimes agreed, and in a few days they brought a large contingent lead by priests. They burned incense near the lake, told prayers and slaughtered sheep in sacrifice. They flowed the sheep blood into the river as nourishment for Bokrug and then floated 108 bronze Labrys trinkets in hopes of them reaching the sea. With Bokrug appeased, Anshula offered a blessing on behalf of Valanzur for the successful conclusion of the hunt. It was decided that each of the Xenti and Kyrennoi would send an independent force to track and hunt the Kithalno separately, making use of their races' skills, and coordinating their hunts. With luck they would be able to corner the beast and then combine forces to destroy it.

Reflections of the Priest King
Larce gazed across his city, yes, his and smiled. city All across the expanse of Phlegethon, construction was underway. The Temples of the Heptarchs and the Tyrant's Barbican were rising into the landscape, a maze of scaffolding. Around them were arrayed the offices of the clerks and their residences, begun later but finished sooner, the earthen wall and palisade round the centre, the temporary housing for workers from the countryside brought in after the growing season to labour for their King. In the distance could be seen the fields and paddocks of the First City, the canals to service them and the ships from foreign lands bearing tribute or leaving with gifts. All seemed blissfully orderly and servile, yet the cunning monarch could sense the tension in the air, as always. As his eyes turned north though, his smile began to fade. In the distance, across the river and upstream, he could just see the faint outline of the low hills surrounding the anthill that dared declare itself a city, as though it could hope to match the might of Phlegethon, the Flame of the Gods. Well, he knew what to do. Arruns and Cossa were reaching adulthood now, almost sixteen with Marcellus not far behind, and barely blooded. The time was ripe to prove themselves worthy of his lineage. After all, there was work to be done. There was talk among the peasants in the south eastern fields of a revolt, rumours from the desert plains of nomads and beasts wishing to raid the newly prosperous plantations, susurrations among the priesthood that his innovations of bringing all the temples under his direct authority and standardising doctrine represented a heresy. Well, he knew what to do. Was he not of the line of shamans? Was he not the Chosen of the Gods? Well, perhaps that was a stretch, even for him, but he had read his future in the bones of his father and the entrails of his chief, and it was a glorious one. Cull the dissenters, co-opt the lowly and reshape the people to his liking. It had worked in his own tribe, when he forged his right to rule in a contract of steel and a writ of blood. The peasants would fall in line, or their new chiefs would make them. The nomads would be bought off or set to infighting, as he had always done, and the priests would fall in line underneath him. Lies and Bullshit, Promises and Bribes, whatever it took, he would survive...

The Tyrant's Folly
Zija Neziri was dead. Through political maneuvering and familial ties, he was able to overthrow the traditional oligarchy of the city. The Keshili Fisniket, the governing council of the city, had been sidelined by delaying tactics and the purges of all of those not loyal to his rule. His political power was legitimized when he was recognized as Arhond of Arba, the first ruler of the city since the extinction of the royal Nisani dynasty several generations ago. But even the most powerful of men are but pawns of the gods, and Zija was found dead several short months after the recognition of his power over the city.

Zija's death forced his heir to take over rulership over the city. After taking the traditional Beja Oath in front of the weakened Keshili Fisniket, Gjergj and Gjon, the only children of the late tyrant, became Arhonds of Arba, co-ruling the city with one another. The enmity that existed between the brothers that had simmered throughout their childhood only increased with their new power-sharing agreement. Gjergj, the eldest son by Zija's Fishniket wife, looked down on Gjon, the younger illegitimate son by Zija's peasant mistress. While Gjon took pride in his mother's ancestry, Gjergj lived along the lines of the traditional Fisniket, ignoring any contact with the lower classes when possible while only conversing with those of similar social status. The tensions between the two threatened the stability of Arba, and civil conflict almost seems inevitable between supporters of either Arhond.

Opening of the New Age
Opening of the New Age
A New Age Begins

Urk was going to war, too long had the beast reigned over the seas, and for too long had it plagued the city. Preparations are made and a procession is held in the worship of Xon. In the streets did the people of Urk march, singing hymns and offering praise, worship, prayer, and material wealth to the god. It is unknown if such a thing would have drawn the attention of the great god themself, so the people were desperate. Urged by the leaders of the city they began to sacrifice several animals still in the city.

The offering of blood drew something. It was faint at first, but soon the city glowed in a light that could only be considered holy. Sparked into action the people soon turned to celebrate the blessing of the god, and soon after diplomats would return bringing word of the world. Of the two cities that the diplomats were sent to, only one set returned. Whether it was treachery, the sea, or more was unknown for now, but they would get no help from the mainland.

As for the city sent to Arba, they would report little help from their fellow city. Denied access to the Tyrant they would approach the Tyrant's sons. The Elder Son Zija when approached scoffed at the diplomats and offered no support. Even though they would make promising allies, the tyrannical son would focus on gaining the support of the powerful within the city. The Fisniket were a class of people standing above the common masses, powerful from being one of the original twenty citizens selected during the founding of the city to assist the Tyrant with maintaining his hold over the people. These twenty families would gather power until they were a threat to the Tyrant himself, of course, the Tyrant curbed their power severely in response, but they still hold enough power to not only do their tasks but influence who the heir may be. The son would find some assistance there, a few thinking he was unproven and leaning to be neutral. One family stood out in their immediate support however, the Zjarf family would tie their power to the heirs almost immediately. Offering a daughter of their clan to him to truly bind them together.

The diplomats would then approach the second son, seeking help and attempting to convince him that their cause was just. The laughter was not what they expected, for the younger son was uncaring of the city of Urk, he only sought to gather power by uniting the common masses, and sending help to the city would only weaken him.

As they sought help from any that they could from the streets only for gangs of thugs from both sons to beat them and practically banish them from the city in their fighting. The only consolidation was that the merchants funded and created some kind of pathways of dirt for easier travel. It took more than a bit of their remaining "funds" to return to the city.

For the city of Urk, there was now a choice, they were ready for war against a beast, but with recent events, their authority and city had been humiliated. They had the choice of fighting the beast and potentially destroying it with what they had now, or lay siege to their neighbor who had scorned them and force them to help kill the Beast whether they wanted to or not.

The city of Lurya was in danger. Not the danger of death and destruction, but falling prey to a monster. The Lion of Lurya required bait to beat the creature. Hearts, Livers, and potentially more would be needed, so he asked his people who amongst them would be willing to make the sacrifice, who amongst the dead and dying would offer a sacrifice so that the beast may be slain.

None strode forward, they were afraid and hesitant. Seeing this, the Lion without hesitation draws his blade and carves himself open. He slowly, and painfully rips out a part of his liver to show the people that he is willing to make the same sacrifice as them.

Offers would soon flood in, hearts, lungs, livers, and more would all be sent to the hunting party. They, with their bait and new specific weapons made to kill the beast, would march out of the city. Laying a trap the Lion and his men would lay in wait.

Soon a beast would show, one more horrific than any of them could describe. It was not a lion, for it was too malformed to be called that. It was not alive, for it was plagued with pus and cyst. It was not a beast, but a Monster of unknowable origins and monstrous shape.

But the hunt must go on. Devouring its feast it did not see the team until the attack began.

The poison on their arrows would not harm the beast, but it seemed as if it only made it stronger, and their spears could not escape from its hide when pierced into the beast. The arrows never seemed to hit it.

It escaped the hunters this time, but it was scared away for the rest of the year. In the absence of the beast, the Lion sought to expand the fields and work as a city to tend and assign land to be harvested.

It would work for a time and as always troubles, but the wisdom of the Lion was up to the challenge. Then the Beast of Lurya returned and plagued the people once more and once again the people looked toward their leader for help.

The city of Heltor was ill at ease, the people were afraid, and rightly so. So Heltor sought to give them strength, using words he would direct their attention to the enemy of the city. The tribes around them that deserved their hatred, speeches would rile up the people, soon instead of feeling upset or scared they felt anger and righteous hatred of the tribal savages who laid siege to their city time and time again.

Hundreds would join the army in the aftermath, and soon Heltor would march out. He would subdue and enslave several large tribes, taking as many as they could captive and dragging them back to the city in chains. Salvaging what they could from the savages the people would then begin selling the tribesmen within the city. Hundreds of men, women, and children would be haggled over and sold within the city and taken elsewhere if they were lucky.

Those who were not sold would be put to work in the fields, forcing them to farm for the city the people would have had they not been attacked. They were barely fed and the citizens thrived. Smaller tribes fled away from the city, and several of the large tribes that were not targeted moved to safer locations. However, rumors appear of a large gathering of the tribesmen for something, it bodes ill for the city in any case.

How would the wise Heltor move forward in these coming days?

The Tyrant of Grobiņa would expel citizens of his city out into the savage outside to create new farms and quarries. Soldiers would be made loyal to only the Tyrant Kangars, these soldiers would watch over those in the wilds to ensure that they followed the will of the Tyrant. Oppression was everywhere and it was chafing the people and the Elders.

The Elders would meet in secret and the son Kaupo would support the Tyrant in public, even by paying for some of the newly trained Soldiers, not enough to make a difference but there were a few, more than a few actually, who listened to Kaupo first and the Tyrant second.

Apo, the son thought to be lost to the sea and wilds, slain before he could finish his righteous quest, lived. After making his way to Hydriss he would move to the City of Heltor where he would see the newly enslaved tribesmen. He would rally what few he could and free them before moving on. Escaping from the city and its newfound hatred of outsiders, he would head north further and eventually make his way to Medias where he and his band would hear about the request and declaration. The rewards offered would gather quite the crowd.

The rewards themselves would be a treaty of eternal friendship with the City, marriage to the most beautiful woman of the city, or the artifact known as 'The Thousand Tears of Discord'. It was unknown exactly what the Son would do in regards to this quest, but the request may be exactly what he sought.

The call for action would not only bring Apo to the city of Medias but bring multiple roving bands of heroes and adventurers who would seek the rewards offered. They would charge into the unknown looking for the artifact that would save the city.

Many would make progress but none would claim the reward for themself yet, the location however was narrowed down somewhat more. The artifact they sought laid in the northwest, amongst the highest points of the known world. But beyond the declaration, the city would be mobilized to build public works that would stop flooding and potentially store it for future use. These works would work for a time, but the rain just kept coming and it would overwhelm everything they built... in time, but it held strong for now.

Thermodia, the lover of outsiders, would learn from the tragedy of their founding, and instead of hoarding their prosperity, holding onto it with every fiber of their being, they would instead invite the inhabitants into the city.

A speech celebrated by the people would be given, "Rich is the soil of our land, filled our silos: we shall offer them from our harvest and instead of great festivals, we shall commemorate Thermodia, by acting in her deeds memories and standing together with those strangers we invite to sacrifice together with us and praise the gods that have led us together and given us the means to support them in their need." The leaders of the city said, they were cheered for and the people accepted, but some were surprised by how generous the leaders of the city were.

"We will offer them land to till, food to come over the winter and a share in seeds to begin tilling their fields when the next year comes. We will do our best to integrate them into our community, to let them partake in the sacred rites, and to have the gods bless our renewed Synoecism." Surprised the people would chatter, and whisper.

"We shall see that they will be given land not any worse than those of the villages that already exist and their woman may be inducted into the priesthood. We shall see if we can strengthen our bounds by an exchange of gifts and maybe more familial ties. But those who do not want to stay, we will offer to spend the winter with us, to live among us till they set out again in the new year – and to return for our fests and sacrifices to the gods as friends – not strangers anymore."

It was madness, plain and simple, but a good kind. The people were less sure about this than the first thing, but they would trust their leaders… for now. With that said, the leaders would do exactly what they said and the tribes who were once separate from the city become one of the people of Thermodia. Some would abuse the kindness of the city, but they were rebuffed with ease, for the city was easily defensible and the people strong. Whispers bring the declaration of kindred far and wide, however, and soon people from far off lands would arrive alongside with dangers.

Raiders and strangers would begin to haunt the outsides of the city making it harder to get the much-needed food for the city, and while the people were happy, the food was running out. Soon they wouldn't have enough unless something changed.

The city of Hydriss would prepare and rebuild. Permanent structures would be worked on and more would be made. Starting with a great wall to protect the city within the events of an attack on the people and the city itself.

But, thinking of the future they would integrate a good portion of the sea with the city, opening it up to the sea so that they could not only benefit from its bounties but prosper in the events of a siege. Docks would be made, leaders and guards selected and trained, and while unnatural to the people of the city, they would begin acquainting themselves with the ways of war upon the land.

It was here the queen made her move, Queen Hydriss aimed to sate the desire for vengeance by focusing on moving people forward – let them not forget past sins of Merencia but vow not to repeat them. She would call on Merencians to challenge themselves to surpass old civilization and old ways.

"Don't aim vengeance at others, use feelings as motivation to do better. While not abandoning Tome of the Sea, move from Tome of the Sea to Tome of the Land to signify Merencia's new reality." she proudly said.

The people of Vul would invite the leaders of the clans who sought to join Lumen, they would be told of the truth in regards to the situation of the city, of how there wasn't enough to go around and from there they would offer a solution.

The city would offer one of three ways to be accepted into the city itself. The first way was that the people of the tribe must prove their prowess during annual competitions that will happen every year until all of the tribes have joined. The next way would be proving that you know the ways of the people and contribute in some fashion by saying what tradition they would bring to the city in return. The last way would be by proving that they hold the will to join the People, by toiling alongside them and working together to build their new home, only then would they join.

Many would leap at the chance of combat, thinking their warriors and tribe the best. Only a few would choose cultural integration or attempt toiling with the people of the city, this would lead to many tribes being denied entrance into the city, and from there several clans would feel scorned and leave the queue to ally.

The alliance would slaughter some of the tribes seeking to join, as well as the people of Lumen should they venture outside of their city.

For Khivasi the hunt for the monster that plagued the land would go on. Hunters and more would be sent to gather as much information on them as they could grab, and while there would be losses, the information gained would be valuable.

The monster they sought, it appeared as if it was one of their own, a member of the Khivasi… At first, when its fangs were revealed it would drain many of the people sent to look for it before drawing back, seemingly sated by the blood it consumed.

In response, the city would have what little lands they controlled fortified, walls, and more built rapidly in an attempt to keep the monster out. It was during a sacrifice to the gods that the priests finally made their move. Where they had once been neglected they now claimed as one that the monster was punishment for the people's refusal to listen to them.

Many would-be swayed and the clergy would rapidly become a moderate power within the city. Thankfully they seemed to be focusing on the consolidation of their power, which allowed the city to approach the nearby tribes and force them to pay tribute to the city in return for protection from monsters and… worse outcomes. Many would accept fearing the might of the city. Only a few do not pay tribute… their tribe's burning camps are all that remains of their people.

The Temple would be built, the people would see to it. The only issue is that the people are unable to fully repair the temple with what they have on them, the Prophet-King Pawl of course did the only reasonable thing in response.

He would lead the people in prayer to beg for Heyzeus' interference and for him to give them the materials needed to rebuild the temple. They would give him prayer and sacrifice, and in return, they were given what they asked for.

From the waves came thousands of pieces of some kind of pure white stone, some claimed it was marble, others pearls, but in either case, their God had spoken and the temple would be finished and repaired with the white stone, and in many cases, the old stones replaced with the white materials.

The city of Pillars would unite, under one identity and one city they would all come together and begin building and enhancing existing religious festivals, holy days, and ceremonies to serve as the foundation of the common Shaaitha culture. An example of a set of rituals they would focus upon enhancing would be the fact that the traditional Shaaitha rituals were heavily bound into the cycle of salmon runs, harvests, potlatches, and communal buildings and projects. But as they advanced as a city culturally, they would also begin building up physically. Their focus would be around the creation of farms, palisades, longhouses, temples, storehouses, and ships, both for fishing and to hold their forming military.

Some of the most popular decisions and events would be the fact that masked priests and actors re-enact hero sagas and religious fables. These would be chosen by Xhuuyaa and Kuuja to present morals and messages of unity and coordination hidden within songs, legends, and stories told to young and old alike so that they may learn. On the militaristic side, they would focus on keeping an eye out for troublemakers and the like, thankfully for them, there did not appear to be any coordinated or real hostile threat facing them... for now. Everything was going great for the City of Pillars, they were joyous and united in their culture.

War would be waged. Phlegethon and Tyrea would both independent of each other send their armies to take and attack the other. Their armies would run into each other, and the advantage would fall with the new Tyreans who saw the attackers first. Using the alliances they had brokered to originally keep the Phelgethon army at bay, they would harass and attack the approaching army, hoping to break them or stop their advancement.

This would only work for so long until the armies of both would be forced to fight. Outnumbered the army of Phelgethon would fight hard and manage to win against the alliance… or so they thought.

While they were fighting it appeared that the tyreans would raid their city and steal the materials they needed. This would ironically work in the Tyrant's favor, however, as they attacked and stole from the priests and the like, which allowed him to integrate them into his tyranny as scribes and members of his court, they would welcome this in the aftermath of many of their temples and priestly supplies being stolen and their positions embarrassed. So while there was no plunder from their expedition, something good came out of it… but the failure to defend the city from the raid did open another weakness for his detractors to attack.

Tyrea however, sends out ships on the river and sea so that Tyrean traders would search for trading partners and colony sites to deliver raw material back to Tyrea; by again setting up a web of supplies and resources to funnel in back to Tyrea, the city can be rebuilt efficiently.

With the influx of materials to be traded and sold, their efforts would prove to be more than effective, but their "colonies" would fail due to a lack of protection needed from the wilds.

Tirtanda would send out explorers and adventurers looking for something. Numbering four in total the first two parties would travel by the coastline, east, and west, carrying goods that could be traded. They would meet only tribes to the east and bring back only materials and news of potential cities further east.

The western traders would stumble across Thermodia and be welcomed into the city, where they would trade and both share and gather news and information on the culture and peoples here.

The next group would go to the sea to gather fish being their main objective, they would bring a paltry tribute at first, but disappear when heading out once again. Search parties could not find any sign of the group.

The last part would travel along the river making contact with the peoples alongside it. By the time they reached the end, they would hear rumors of a city in the mountains, cursed for their hubris. They brought this information back before being sent to help find the missing fishermen.

Xentiterek would gather its armies, as would the people of Kyrennes, their goal would be to work together. Calmer minds had won in the end and peace was made… for now. They were united in a singular goal to hunt the monster that was a potential threat to both of their cities. Working separately at first they would be forced to work together as the beast proved to be strong enough that alone they could not hope to defeat it.

The beast itself was for all the world like an eagle, but one indeed of enormous size; so big in fact that its quills were twelve paces long and thick in proportion. And it is so strong that it will seize even the largest animals in its talons and carry them high into the air and drop them so that they are smashed to pieces; having so killed them, the bird would swoop down on its prey and eat it at leisure.

Working together, however, they would lure the beast into a trap, bringing it crashing to the ground the two would stab and bleed the monster until its death. Victory and peace are born from the blood of a monster. In response to both its appearance and death, the city of Xentiterek would explore the lands looking for materials to build up their Ziggurat as well as generally increase farming efforts in the wild. Docks would be built to travel up and down the river near the city, but in the end, the biggest thing they did was restart trade with the city of Kyrennes.

Speaking of Kyrennes, they would begin prospecting efforts, to learn more about the region around their city. Their focus would be on finding Quarries for stone, Clay, Copper, Salt, Meteoric Iron, Lead, Tin, Silver, Gold, Unique minerals/metals. Xentiterek would claim the only nearby locations that would make good locations for quarries, as well as locations for clay and salt.

But the city would find large quantities of copper, tin, lead, gold, and a strange shining metal of some sorts. The city would begin exploiting what resources they could get ahold of, but there was only oh so much they could do with the materials they had on hand and access to. Thankfully trade allowed them to pick up the slack so to speak.

Other investigations would show a high level of Aurochs, felines, and general wildlife. Though upon further investigation they would find the nest of the former plague on their land. In its nest would be twelve eggs of large quantity. All of them appear to be alive… for now, and near the point of hatching. What would the city do with this information? None would tell… for now.

Elfangor of Mor'Karrion would begin crafting something, none could say what, but that was secondary to what he had planned. He would focus on the demographic crisis, and gather his magic for a great ritual of some sort, but lacking certain ingredients he would be forced to prepare for the future.

Adrehel on the other hand would travel amongst the surrounding lands tempting men from tribes to wage war upon one another for her affection, and amusement. They would give her tribute and more just for the barest glimpse of her, and soon war waged all over the mountains.

Gaellynora would in an opposite manner trick beasts into attacking those who were smart, or safe enough to avoid the troubles caused by the brides of Elfangor. Many tribes were extinguished from the monsters unleashed, but there were a few that remained untouched by bride and beast.

The people of Mon'Karrion would be spurred into motion by their leader and his brides, using the chaos caused they would steal child, beast, and souls. These materials would be given to their savior, and from there they would find their population increasing as the ritual Elfangor prepared for went off without a hitch. The people of Mor'Karrion grew crueler with this ritual, but their population would continue to grow.

Was the price worth it? None could say, not yet.

With the closing of the three years, the cities moved forward. Preparations were made, wars waged, beasts killed, celebrations had. Yet time ever moves forward. What would happen next, none would know.

Last edited:
A Breath of Fresh Air​

Elfangor drank deeply from his cup, dark red liquids flowing down his throat in vain attempt to banish his growing ill humour. He had often compared his whinging subjects to mewling infants, how naive he had been and what he would do now to return to merely their endless complaints for the great dividend of the labour of these past years had been to fill his once blissfully silent halls with actual infants, their increasing wailing and laughter driving him to new depths of despair. It had been so long since the emptying halls of Mor'Karrion had been filled with new life, but it had been longer still since new life had brought him any joy, that had been burned out of him with every other happiness.

"Your face will stick like that if you are not careful." Gaellynora interrupted. She did not wear her court form, gone was the long dark hair and regal features, so too was the tantalizing flesh poorly concealed by thin, crimson silk. Instead she wore beaten copper hair, knotted, tangled and sprawling down to her waist, she was shorter, thicker and stronger than usual and hidden behind a mountain of furs, smelling of earth and blood and life. Even her face was changed, disorted around her fangs, though he knew it was her nose and eyes and ears that were the true danger, nothing escaped the Great Huntress. Still he had to try.

"Do you not have lovers to attend to?" He asked testily.

"My bears are fed and resting. It was my husband I wished to see."

"You've seen me, leave." He attempted with no more success than when he had tried it on his other bride.

She laughed. "Does that ever work?"

"No." He confessed. "But I live in despair."

She scowled at him. "Oh for the love of. We are winning, for the first time in centuries things are going our way, new life, new cubs to further our line, the humans run scared and you just must be miserable."

"When have our victories not turned to ash in our mouths?" He demanded defensively.

"When have we let ourselves believe it might not have to be that way? Everything ends in failure and death, that is just how life works, you should trying enjoying the respites in between, it won't change the ending but you might just might be less miserable on your way there."

He glared at her, "Do not lecture me beastling, I am your Prince and older than time."

She shrugged. "Don't be so stupid then. But if you insist, I'll leave."

"Leave?" He asked in disbelief. "You never leave me alone, none of you."

"I have better things to do, I want to see some of the new cubs, celebrate the hunts, see my pack happy and victorious." She shrugged, "watching you sulk for another century is a waste of my time. Enjoy not enjoying anything husband."

She turned and left him in stunned silence.

"Wait!" He called out.

She didn't even pause.

"Gaellynora. Please." He tried again, courtesy rusted from ill use.

Then she did stop, and she did turn. "Yes?"

"I...crave your forgiveness my bride, I treated you…"

"Like a beastling you wanted rid off?" She suggested.

"These centuries have been hard, they weigh on me heavily. You did fine work rounding up the humans. This...hope would not burn for our people without you." He said awkwardly by way of apology.

"If you want sympathy I am sure Adrehel will gladly crawl into your bed for a cuddle and coupling. None of us have been spared, all of us are lesser and crueler and colder than we were, some of us just have not embraced it. You are the oldest, wisest and greatest of us husband, try acting like it for a change." She shrugged one more time. "It would be nice to have you back."

Then she turned and left him, sat there on a cold stone throne.

A (Un)Welcome Visitor
Made with help from a friend
Heltor was standing inside of his tent, repressing the urge to rub the bridge of his nose in frustration. His current issues in life were being dealt with, neighboring tribes were all being crushed, resources stolen, captives taken, and most of all, his message to the people of the city had born fruit, causing many to regain their vigor and enthusiasm. However, not everything was dandy, not by a long shot. Food was still a problem, the people would soon need a new goal, and resources to reconstruct the city were still required. The goal was easy, but exactly what to have people do was the problem. So many choices….

And too top it all off, Heltor's latest problem had been dropped on his lap. Or boon, if all went well. Turning around, Heltor looked at the lady currently sitting in a comfy looking seat, staring at him curiously as she waited for him to speak.

Eleanor was a deceptive beauty, she wore her soot black hair in a reckless cascade around her shoulders, her face was narrow and nose pointed, almost avian in appearance and her eyes were a soft brown, warm, murky and unremarkable. She wore a gown of sewn bronze discs and carefully woven wool that disguised her modest frame from searching eyes. She appeared in her mid thirties though with an earthy feel to her that made her at once older and younger. Yet her smiles sucked one in and every movement drew the eye and her voice commanded attention. Her manner alone was enchanting, she always seemed on the verge of laughter, bursting with mischievous delight like a wicked aunt.

Heltor met her gaze, feeling her all too ordinary eyes pricing into him, feeling as if she could see his very soul. Perhaps she could, he did not know. All he knew was that she was a benefactor in many ways, and one way or another blessed his people. The lady his people had named Eleanor, and decided to claim as their own. Heltor was not deceived for one moment by her modest, common appearance. After all, beyond his well toned body and somewhat smoother than average features, there wasnt much remarkable about himself. He appeared fairly normal when not dressed up, and had used that to his advantage before. He was not deceived by appearances, no, not one bit.

Eventually Heltor spoke up, getting straight to the point now as he nodded to Eleanor. "To what do I owe the pleasure of this meeting, M'Lady?" He asked her calmly, walking over and sitting down behind his desk in a much less comfy chair. He preferred it, despite the annoyance. Kept him sharp. After a moment's thought he then added. "Would you like refreshments? A drink, some food? We do not have much, but it would be no trouble to get you something, if you so desire."

She smiled so brightly. "Nothing would please me more my love. I will take whatever is offered, mayhaps when we meet again I may return the favor." She chuckled at that.

Heltor nodded, clearing his throat before speaking up loudly. "Our honored guest requires sustenance. Fetch some milk and a few of Mildred's cakes!" He barked out, looking over at the door expectantly.

Sure enough, the sound of one or two people scrambling was heard, along with loud whisperings before a pair of feet were heard quickly running off. After a couple moments there was silence once more. which Heltor broke with a snort. "Apologies for not having it ready for you upon arrival, but it is hard to prepare when your appearances are so… random." He commented, frowning slightly before grunting and shaking his head. "Not that I would question our benefactor, of course."

She cocked her head. "Benefactor? Must you always call me so? It sounds so formal and distant, are you my client then? My...subject?" Her lip twitched so slightly into a teasing smile. "Please...call me Eleanor, or better yet call me beautiful!" She joked laughing once again. "And I apologize for the neglect, I knew you had matters well in hand and I fear that even I cannot be two places at once, rest assured you and your people never strayed far from my thoughts, my love. Day and Night I think of the lost children I found and came to love, and their noble father."

"Are you not our benefactor, the one who blesses us so?" Heltor asked, raising an eyebrow. For the barest moment there was a hint of amusement at her teasing, then Heltor's carefully schooled expression was reinforced and the amusement faded from view. "I understand that you are more likely than not a very busy lady, Madam Eleanor. I assure you, my people and I hold no grudge towards you for your duties, for you have already done so much for us."

And she had done all of that without any price too, beyond telling them to flourish. Something that Heltor frankly found rather troubling, as every being, particularly gods - if Eleanor was one - usually wanted something in return. And yet as far as he could tell, Eleanor asked for nothing. So whatever she was getting had to be something unnoticeable. Troubling indeed. Hopefully it was just the worship that some people in the city were giving her and nothing more….

She raised an eyebrow. "Yet...I sense reproach? Have I wronged you noble Heltor? Without knowledge and against my heart I swear."

He paused for a moment, considering his next words carefully as he spoke. "I apologize if it seems that way to you, Madam Eleanor. It is less directed at you and more so at the current situation of my people and our troubles. Circumstances have been unkind to my people and I, and I have been frustrated with the state of the city currently."

"This world is all too unkind, punishing of those who stray from its natural order, punishing of those so cowardly as to blindly stay within it." She shook her head in irritation, "your frustration is that of man who sees the truth and knows it does him no good."

Heltor frowned slightly, staring into her eyes as he shook his head. "I already know all too well that there is no truth but that which we choose for ourselves." He replied, an uncharacteristic hint of annoyance in his voice as he spoke. "My frustration is with the fact that the neighboring tribes never cease to amaze me with their all too willing blind ignorance. They refused to listen when I told them I would leave them be, if they would do so to me in kind, and have been against my people every step of the way along this journey, one that you put us on, mind you. And while I don't blame you for our misfortunes, it is just a little bit annoying to be told that I am not being bold enough when all I have done is pushed forward!" He growled at her, intense anger, frustration, and weariness present in his expression as he glared.

A mere moment after he finished his short rant Heltor winced, taking a deep breath and letting it out as he inclined his head towards Eleanor. "My apologies, Madam Eleanor. That was highly uncalled for, especially after you have given us so much," - but had she really? - ", and you have my sincere regret for such an outburst. Again, my apologies."

Her eyes widened slightly and her lips curled but she shook her head and sighed sadly. "You need not apologize, I have let you all down. You are right to be angry with me Heltor. I have failed you, who I love so dearly...tell me is there anything I can do to help make this right?"

He frowned slightly and he looked down at his hands for a moment before looking back up at her. "You have done everything you offered and more, I assure you. There is no reason for me to snap at you, as you have done nothing wrong. However, if you would like to help…." He hummed thoughtfully, tapping his fingers on the table before him for a moment before nodding slowly. "Well, unless you are willing to somehow assist us in rebuilding the city, we should have everything under control. Maybe, if you designed to, you could help improve the people's morale somehow. More contentment is always welcome, and there are always ways to accomplish that. I would not be so presumptuous as to ask for assistance against the neighboring tribes, as I'm sure my people will be more than happy to accomplish that on their own."

"I am not a woman of war Heltor." She explained without regret. "But to bring joy to your people is my fondest desire and you are kind to humour me. Please let me go amongst them, let us fall in love with each other again!"

He snorted, shaking his head and smiling slightly in mild amusement. "I didn't think so, but I've been wrong before. If you would like to bring joy to my people than please do, I would not so much as dream of stopping you. It would do everyone some good to see you walking about, I believe." He tilted his head to one side, a curious expression on his face as he stared at her for a long moment. "... 'fall in love with each other again'. An interesting choice of words, Madam Eleanor."

She blushed prettily, "What can I say? I am a romantic at heart and I wish to see the world set to rights."

He chuckled, nodding and smiling slightly. "Well, we could certainly use some more of that mindset. Feel free to walk among the people any time you desire, I shall not stop you." Heltor wondered if giving her such freedom was making a mistake, but dismissed the thought quickly. Even if it was, and likely that was so, she could easily be a goddess as many claimed. If so, there was nothing he could do to stop a divine, and if not… she was quite powerful, he knew this. He couldn't really stop her if she wanted something bad enough to take it.

She beamed in delight. "You are so kind to me noble Heltor, I am blessed to find one such as you, truly blessed."

He resisted the urge to roll his eyes and snort, instead giving her a polite nod. "I'm merely giving you a right all should have. When people may happily walk through the streets of this city without fear of attacks or raids, then I shall consider all my work accomplished."

"A noble work for a noble man, shall we walk together then?"

He considered it for a moment, then nodded, standing up and straightening his outfit, not that it needed it. "Hmm, I see no reason as to why not. Let the people see their leader and benefactor walking together, and be reassured. Let all know that everything is under control."

"A noble man but not an honest one then." She joked.

He couldn't stop the half smile that crossed his lips as he chuckled. "Merely a half lie, I assure you. Everything is under control, after all. I just fail to point out exactly how under control those issues are." Walking around his desk, he stopped by her chair, offering a hand to help her stand up, a hand that she took.

And so the two left the room, wandering out and meeting with the people of the city, and reassuring them. Many were mesmerized by Eleanor's radiance and put at ease by Heltor's words, and so the day grew brighter. Funny enough, due to their wanderings through the city Eleanor and Heltor never did return to have that milk and cakes they ordered brought to the tent.

Last edited:
Back