Built in Vote Tallying

I dunno what's gone wrong, but tally doesn't expand if I logged in.
Behaves as normal if I log off/go into Incognito mode, but independently from theme it doesn't snow the expand button.

Tried on Vivaldi and Firefox.

I have Quote Expand Disabled turned on.

Last edited:
I dunno what's gone wrong, but tally doesn't expand if I logged in.
Behaves as normal if I log off/go into Incognito mode, but independently from theme it doesn't snow the expand button.

Tried on Vivaldi and Firefox.

I have Quote Expand Disabled turned on.
Exactly this. No tallies will expand for me no matter how much I reload or fiddle it settings. I plain and simple just do not get a Click To Expand box at all. I've tried both my tallies, the tallies others do in the thread, and going into random other quest to see if it works there to no avail.

@noncannon
Interesting. I suspect that it's because all text within [square brackets] gets treated differently by the vote tally. I'll take a look in a bit and see if it can be fixed, but as a general rule, I would recommend against all text in a particular line being all square brackets1​. That said, completely coincidentally, substantial changes will be coming to vote tallying that should incidentally fix issues along this line.

1​Particular offenders being
[x] [N:FES] [Overlooked Maiden]
[My Resolution, Thy Bedrock]
for example.

Last edited:
I did a tally here, and it is running into problems.

(A) "Rest of the Votes" is repeated both before the votes and after. Is it supposed to do that?

(B) "Rest of the Votes" should really be called "All Votes", since it includes the winning vote.

(C) Most substantially, it seems like one of the results was swallowed by the tally. In particular, under the Focus section, "Grow Tranquil Tree" does not appear, even though it is the most popular vote. (Not to be confused with "Grow Tranquil Tree x2" and "Grow Tranquil Tree x3", which do appear as they should.)

I did a tally here, and it is running into problems.

(A) "Rest of the Votes" is repeated both before the votes and after. Is it supposed to do that?

(B) "Rest of the Votes" should really be called "All Votes", since it includes the winning vote.

(C) Most substantially, it seems like one of the results was swallowed by the tally. In particular, under the Focus section, "Grow Tranquil Tree" does not appear, even though it is the most popular vote. (Not to be confused with "Grow Tranquil Tree x2" and "Grow Tranquil Tree x3", which do appear as they should.)
Thank you for the bug report, I'll look into it.

So I think I have discovered a new flaw in the programming of the vote tally.

If you are doing a bunch of different votes that all have the same wording in options (aka going through equipment and choosing to equip it to characters), then it causes some wackyness.

Messed up vote count is here

If a quest is using SV's built-in voting period scheduler, why doesn't the tallier set its starting point to when the vote was opened by default? There isn't even an option for switching to it, I have to click on the vote open banner's (i), get the starting position from there, and copy it over manually every time.

The tally defaults to the latest threadmark as the start point, and no one has voted since the latest threadmark "Crisis: Kataclysm- Claws for Alarm" there.

You can change which threadmark to start from by clicking on it at the top under 'start and end options'.
Dude, that was posted last Wednesday. The issue was resolved.

Maybe bugreport? Either that or I'm not understanding something. Following the guide here, I ought to get a correct tally, as I understand it.

VII. Categories
Categories are a more advanced version of voting by task, as detailed in Section III. As the vote runner, you may create any number of top level categories. In the context of a vote about game awards, for example, you might create categories of:

Game Genre
Game Platform
Game Studio

Within each category, you can then list specific options, separated by commas:

Game Genre
-Platformer, Roguelike, Racing
Game Platform
-PC, PS4, Switch
Game Studio
-Nintendo, Sony, Supergiant Games

Voters can then tag each entry with all appropriate options, both multiple within a single category and spanning multiple categories. For example:

[x] [roguelike] [pc] [switch] [supergiant games] Hades

This also incorporates the rules from Instant Runoff Voting, so a complete vote might look like:

[x] [roguelike] [pc] [switch] [supergiant games] [1] Hades
[x] [racing] [switch] [ps4] [sony] [3] Sonic Team Racing
[x] [platformer] [switch] [nintendo] [2] Super Mario Odyssey

When tallied, vote results will be determined across each category: in this example, the highest rated game of each genre, for each platform, and from each studio.

So, I'm trying to run a vote using this system here :

forums.sufficientvelocity.com

Stoke The Fire : An experimental Frostpunk Civ Quest

The year is 1886. What at first seemed to be an era of unparalleled progress and prosperity has ground to a halt. The frost know covers the globe, wiping away the petty wonders and miracles of humanity. Britain has gone silent, the continent missing entirely. Some hold hope that in the warmer...

and either I'm doing something seriously wrong, or the system simply doesn't work. For example, when operating with the following categories:

it categorizes a vote like this

which is obviously the wrong categorization.
It continues doing this for all the other categories as well, seemingly randomly assigning votes to categories in which they don't fit at all.

Back