Bone Deep (Young Justice / Warframe Si)

Relevant:

I've only just noticed that that thing has -two- rows of teeth, the second set are in the back of the mouth. o,o the things you learn about childhood cuddlyfriends that make them extra-super-special weird.

While I don't think anything involving the most recent update to the game will affect this story, how do you guys (those that play Warframe) feel about it?

Pluto? The world where the sun looks like any another star? THAT Pluto?

:o

This'll be good. Looking forward to the silicon based garden world with crystal forests and oceans of liquid nitrogen.
Silicon is better in more Venus-like planets. Doing a Boron/Carbon with methane for fluid would both be more realistic and interesting

EP 2.I
2.I

+++

"They just completely forgot we were here." Connor said.

"Mmm." Michael agreed.

A moment passed.

"Do you think we should tell the Justice League?" Connor asked.

Michael shrugged. "I think I'll stay up here. Earth is pretty."

They both turned, seeing the planet before them.

"It is." Connor agreed.

There was a brief hum, and the energy field surrounding them collapsed. All at once, the air rushed away, leaving only the void of space.

They looked at each other. Connor's mouth moved, and no sound came out. Michael's eyebrow raised in response, before he turned back to Earth.

A short moment later, Connor sighed soundlessly, airlessly, and joined him.

+++

"- as, amazingly, Pluto has turned green. The Hubble Space Telescope shows that there are forests growing there, and the planet has heated up to almost 77 degrees." The News Anchor said excitedly, the word 'EXCLUSIVE' running along the bottom of the screen.

Hal flicked the TV screen off. The remote was placed carefully to the side as he stared straight forwards, mind running a mile a minute.

He considered the possibilities, the probabilities, and came to a single conclusion.

"Gardner."

He leapt out of his seat, his Power Ring flying to his hand in the same moment.

"Ring, call Lantern Gardner."

"Connection established." His ring responded promptly, before an entirely different voice rang through. "Hey, Hal-"

"Gardner." Hal all but growled. "What did you do?"

"No idea what'cha talkin' 'bout."

"Gardner, Pluto is green. What. Did. You. Do?!"

"Eh..." Gardner went incriminatingly silent for a few seconds. "I... mighta made a bet?"

"God damn it, Gardner!"

+++

"God damn it, Gardner." John sighed. "What the hell were you thinking?"

"In my defence!" Guy holds his finger up. "I was thinking it was impossible."

"And now, here we are." Batman spoke, his voice low. "With Pluto terraformed."

"I'll admit, I was wrong." Guy looked like he bit into a lemon when he said it. "Because really, it should be impossible."

"How does Pluto turn into a forest, anyway?" Flash asked. "There wouldn't be enough light for trees, right?"

"Eh..." Guy scratched at the back of his head. "Ring, tell 'em what you told me."

"Confirmed." Guy's Power Ring supplied. "Pluto now possess a network of subterranean roots throughout the body. These roots absorb ice, which is broken down into hydrogen, oxygen, and other base elements. From there, the elements flow through the roots. Hydrogen is transported towards large hubs, where it undergoes fusion. The heat from this process flows outwards, and is released through the trees, heating the surface of the planet. The energy released is used to sustain the life of the plant network."

"I'm sorry." Captain Atom interrupted. "Did your ring just say that the plants are fusion powered?"

"Yeah, that was my reaction." Guy nodded. "It ain't done, by the way."

"Some method of gravitational manipulation has also increased the surface gravity to Earth-equivalence. Scans cannot identify the source of this effect, but it is suspected to occur from the roots. Deepening scans. The fusion process continues until heavier elements are formed. Certain elements, once created, are moved to the surface, creating fertile ground. Other elements continue fusion, or are fissioned back into hydrogen. Note: fission process somehow releases extraneous energy despite fissioning elements that are lighter than iron. Fusion of elements heavier than iron also releases extraneous energy. Scans are inconclusive as to why."

"What." Captain Atom said.

"That's impossible." Hawkman reared back.

"Yeeep." Guy agreed. "Except it clearly ain't."

"That is literally not possible." Captain Atom stood up. "Physics makes that impossible! You can't fission lighter-than-iron and get energy out of it! That's not how nuclear fission works!"

"Yeeeeep." Guy agreed. "Except it clearly ain't."

Captain Atom opened his mouth, before closing it. He sack back down with a thud, clearly confused.

"Is it... tapping into other energy sources?" Hawkwoman asked. "The Bleed? Fusion on such a scale could probably produce the energy needed to make a torsion influence happen..."

"Nope." Guy shook his head. "Ring was monitoring everything it could. The Bleed was solid, stable, and untouched."

"The Quantum Field?" Hawkwoman suggested.

"Nada." Guy shot the suggestion down.

"... The Emotional Spectrum?" She tried.

Guy shot her a look.

She nodded, looking away.

It had been a stupid question anyway.

"Then how?" Hawkman asked. "Even the most effective energy generators of Thanagar still require tapping into something in order to step around physics. How is it generating energy contrary to the laws of physics?"

"I don't know!" Guy growled. "I don't know, and my Power Ring can't figure it out. It's a pretty damn big deal, right?"

"Yes." Batman cut in. "Like the terraforming of Pluto you provoked."

Guy did not wince. It was a near thing. "I thought it was a bluff. I was wrong."

"Mistakes do not normally result in planets turning from icy, barren rocks, into lush, jungle worlds over the course of a few hours." Batman noted.

"Well, at least now we know that the Sentient can do that." Guy said. "Because that was a pretty big deal."

"I hate to say it, but he's right." John spoke, voice reluctant. "Pluto is... pretty small. Its diameter is almost five a half times smaller than Earth's. But, this kind of speed?" He looked between the members of the League, and Guy. "Hours to make it habitable. At that kind of speed, Drich could wipe out pretty much everything on this planet in two or three hours."

"Most of that would be travel-time." Hal couldn't help but note. "Did you see that replication rate? It was exponential. Literally seconds in order to double, triple, quadruple the number of bodies. Then each and every single body went and did the same thing."

"We wouldn't be able to stop that, even if we tried." Guy crossed his arms. "We'd have to call in the entire Green Lantern Corp to even have a hope. And by the time they arrived?"

"There would be trillions." Red Tornado stated. "Each one capable of adaptive regeneration, each one capable of subverting technology, each one requiring no food, no drink, no air, and nothing but time. There would be nothing to stop it from swarming endlessly."

"That is not a battle we could win." Superman nodded.

"Then we'll do the smart thing, and not make it a battle." Batman stressed. "It goes without saying that nobody is to provoke the Sentient."

The League nodded.

"Hal, John." Batman looked at them. "If you can find anything on the Sentients, do so. We need to know the limits."

"How could something like this have gone unnoticed for so long?" Hawkman asked, absently.

"Until then, -" Batman continued. "We need to deal with the fallout of Guy's bet. Any suggestions?"

"We'll need to prepare a news conference." Aquaman stated. "Assure the public that there's nothing unsafe."

"Diana?" Zatara suddenly asked.

"Yes?"

"What does Hades think of this?"

"I could not even begin to imagine his reaction." Diana said.

+++

"I am pleased with this string of events." Hades said. "Persephone, dear, would you mind helping me prepare a bundle of flowers?"

"Of course, my love." Persephone smiled, tipping her head in acceptance. "We're going to need many white and purple anemones."

+++

"Nor lord Pluto's." Diana continued.

+++

"Suck it, Mars!" Pluto laughed as he chugged his drink. "My planet is better than yours! It has NUCLEAR TREES!"

+++

"I will have to speak with them about it." She concluded. "I only hope they're not angry."

Last edited:
So based on that the planet is still eerily dark and the sky is star strewn, but it's warm and cheerful. And the trees probably glow.

Amusingly Drich has by mere implication outdone the actual environment design in Warframe.

Also the DC world has pretty great telescopes. If Pluto suddenly turned into a nuclear powered Pacific Northwest we would have no idea why it's albedo was different.

Yeah, how long till light will travel from Pluto to earth?

That's not so much the problem as the fact that our lenses just aren't good enough to get clear pictures. Until a recent probe flyby, the only images of pluto we had were blurry smears.

Now we know that Pluto has a big valentine heart on it.

I'm not that good with DC universe. Are Hades and Pluto two different persons?

Sometimes. Wiki says, for the current continuity:

Hades first appeared under his Roman name Pluto in Wonder Woman #16, volume 1, published in the summer of 1946, written by Wonder Woman creator William Moulton Marston. He is presented here as the villainous King Pluto, kidnapping women from Earth, taking them to Pluto and using them to decorate his castle. Later appearances named him as Hades, such as in Wonder Woman's final Bronze Age adventure in Wonder Woman #329 (vol. 1), 1986, as well as in writer/artist George Pérez's Post-Crisis reboot of the Wonder Woman mythos in 1987. The current New 52 version of the character, referred to primarily as Hell and sometimes as Hades, was introduced in 2011. In a departure from previous incarnations who were presented as adult men, the current Hades/Hell, designed by artist Cliff Chiang, is a young boy in black and red armor, his head crowned with a mass of melting candles, his face partially obscured by dripping wax.

But in the Post Crisis one it mentions that they were distinct:

As a result of the machinations of the alien god Darkseid, the Olympian gods were each split into separate entities for many years, existing as both their Greek and Roman variations. Hades' Roman counterpart, Pluto, ruled his own dimensional variant of the Underworld, occasionally coming into conflict with his "brother". The pantheons were eventually merged once more centuries later.

And it never came up in Young Justice, so we can't be sure on that front.

Back