1.9 - Witche(s)

View: https://youtu.be/o5Ouu0i_uzs?si=Zsnd11BPcvUU1TJA

[Byakuren]

Leaving them behind, including Cirno who immediately ran off to explore, you make your way towards it, pushing open the door to reveal… what was indeed a shed, with little more than several discarded boxes and what appeared to be a large metal locker against the far well. That bore investigating, if for curiosity if nothing else. But your thoughts were halted however, as a single slim hand, with surprising strength, shoved you into the building and closed the door.

You blinked, then turned around to find yourself facing…

A hole in reality, it hung there, in the air, just a few feet away from your face. Through it you could see eyes staring back, their red forms narrowed in frustration and anger. The ends of the tear were tied off with little purple ribbons, and as you observe it, a white gloved hand slithers out, wagging a finger towards itself in a 'come hither' gesture. You stare at it, unmoving. After a good half minute the hand withdraws, then returns shortly after that now holding what appeared to be a small notebook covered in little doodles of cats, in the center was a simple, single word. 'Please?'

You smile, finally. Politeness.

Grasping the hand you pull yourself through, your last sight of the world being… your sister opening the door.

The mountaintop is blustery. Now, in winter of all times, the chill and snow thoroughly permeate this place. Having stepped through, you can immediately recognize that you are no longer inside Gensokyo. Far off in the distance, glowing lights spread out like some enormous spiderweb, tiny dots crawling across the world - this would be one of the truly enormous cities of modern construction, then.

The figure who brought you here is seated, gazing off into the distance as she sips from a teacup. This, then, is Yukari Yakumo, one of the great youkai sages, one of the founders of this fantasy land: A blond woman, wearing an intricate dress in white. A tabard in purple runs down her front, lined with trigrams - and their meaning is "perseverance towards a destination."

Her heart has been set on her goal for many centuries now, and she plotted, schemed, sacrificed, and killed to reach it. Perseverance is one of the many virtues that lead to nirvana, but she it seems, took it in another direction… many do.

"If we were going to fight, I thought it best to do it somewhere where our conflict wouldn't threaten my Gensokyo." She turns to face you, the cup held off to the side. "But that won't be necessary, will it? You've been careless, but your actions don't match those of a saboteur or advance scout."

She pauses, clearly waiting for a response.

You smile. "Would only that I did, I feel Gensokyo at this point would welcome me throwing a fist. Alas, it is not my way, and there is nothing here that will change that Miss Yukari."

If she was surprised by you knowing her name, she didn't show it, instead she merely observed me without words or expression for a time. "Explain your purpose here."

"I shall not." You reply simply.

She nods, slowly. "Refreshing. Most would have simply lied, if they did not want their intentions known." In the time you've been speaking, in the space between moments, a chair and table have appeared, a fresh teapot letting out steam. "They say that actions speak louder than words, anyhow. I'll simply need to take your measure indirectly instead. Would you take a seat?"

Your smile widens a touch, and you bow your head towards Yukari. "I thank you for the offer," then you lower yourself. "To what do you wish to discuss? Beyond my motives."

Her eyes track you as you sit, even as her smile evens out into something more honest. "...Are you a threat to what I have built? Are you here to tear apart my works? Are you, in short, someone that I must devote my time and effort to destroying - or will I be permitted to return to my slumber, and trust that my… allies will be up to the task of cleaning up your mess?"

Your smile fades away. "The society that has formed here is remarkable, it is not pure, and it is certainly not… chaste," you say carefully. "I have no intention of meddling with it, it is not my purpose here as designed by the Buddha. And, in any case, are you claiming that which was made by the Dragon God, Sage?"

Her eyes narrow. "I'm not talking about Gensokyo. I've spent my entire life seeking a way for youkai to coexist with humanity, for our own survival's sake."

"Indeed, survival. Immortality for your species, I am well aware of your flailings in the dark." Your face now bears no expression of any kind, and you stare at the youkai across from you, not judging, but understanding. "You do realize it shall not last?"

She stares at you, unblinking, for a moment, before slowly exhaling, and taking a sip of her tea. "Nothing ever does. In time even the stars will fade. But it is the task I have set myself - it is the impossible destination that I will pursue until my own end." She leans back in her chair. "If you wish to debate the philosophy of life, my gateways will remain open. But you've answered my question regardless - if you are not here to meddle with the greater society, then we have no quarrel."

"Then I shall take my leave, but before I do, I must ask you a question. For your eyes are everywhere despite your… slumber."

She covers her mouth, affecting a coquettish mannerism. "My, so forward to ask a lady about such things." She giggles, before lowering her hand. "Does a human lose their arms, their legs, when they sleep?"

"Do tell," you continue, ignoring the tease. "As I fear I will not get a direct answer from my sister, what is a 'bike' and does it have anything to do with that leather garment I saw go flying out of her room as Reimu destroyed it?"

She blinks. Then, slowly, a laugh bubbles out from her, seemingly against her will. You suspect it's the first honest reaction you've gotten from her throughout this entire conversation. "A bike is a mode of transportation, and a leather outfit is common to those of a certain reputation who ride such vehicles." Her smile slides into a smirk. "As a wise paragon of Buddhist virtue, I'm certain your sister would have thoroughly considered the implications."

You blink, once, twice, three times. Then push yourself out from the chair and out of the gap. There was no 'hole' there for you, but it cannot contain you regardless. The sound of giggling laughter follows you as you leave. A moment later you were back in that shed, standing in front of your sister. A look of surprise and grief was on her face, likely because she expected you had been kidnapped.

You stood there for a moment, staring at her, at the various changes she put upon herself. Then you narrowed your gaze. "Sister, have you been sleeping with men in order to convert them to Buddhism?"

She takes a step back, then another, her arm gaining purchase on the wall of the shed to help support her. "I… what? Where did- what?"

"Explain the bike and the garment, quickly." You press.

"The - this is about the bike?" Her tone is filled with confusion and incredulity. "It's just something I found a few years back. And if I had a motorcycle, I thought I might as well have a biker's outfit to go with it. It's not… who told you I was doing that?" Her expression is rapidly trending towards anger. "I've never done that! Not even during my worst years!"

"Truly now? Nobody informed me, I merely asked Yukari of its purpose during our discussion. You will remove it. Both," you think for a moment. "The garment was shredded regardless."

"I…" She blinks, takes a deep breath. "One thing at a time. You talked to Yukari?"

"Yes, she politely asked to speak to me and I obliged her, she merely wished to know if I, or by extension the Buddha, was here to destroy Gensokyo. The answer remains no, though I am now having serious thoughts regarding your chastity and whether Gensokyo is to blame for that."

She slowly mouths the words "destroy Gensokyo" to herself, before refocusing on you. "I… alright. The bike goes. But, Myouren, why…" She blinks. "Why are you here? Why now?"

You can hear the unspoken question. Why weren't you there sooner?

"Because I was told to be." You reply simply. "I did not come here for you, as I stated previously. The presence of Buddhism within Gensokyo is too small to attract such notice."

She swallows. "Right. Yes, you said that. So… you'll be leaving, again. Soon."

You tilt your head. "Did I ever imply such a thing? I remain what I am, regardless of my task. I shall stay and guide until it is time for me to leave once more, or are you that eager to be rid of me?"

"NO!" Your sister lunges forward, her hands gripping your clothing as she pulls you forward. She's… she's hugging you, now, and you can hear her start to sob as she squeezes you tightly enough that it could seriously injure a normal human. "I never wanted you to leave! Never, never! I just… it would hurt less, if I knew…"

"Death is simply a part of life sister, did your journey to find me originally not teach you that?" you ask, moving your hand to rub her back. "Why did you become a witch?"

She flinches, but then moves on. "I did it because I was afraid. When you left, and I was alone… it broke something inside me, and it took years to put myself back together." Her tone is filled with self-loathing, but the statement is made without hesitation - this is not a fresh thought, for her. This is an old wound that she has long since stopped poking at the scars of.

"And the bloodshed, the dark magics, the deaths?" you ask quietly. "There are things that cannot be forgiven. You became a youkai sister, you remain a youkai. You might play at being human, but you are no longer among our species."

You cannot see her face, nestled as it is above your shoulder, but you can still feel her go slightly limp, more of her weight now supported by you. Her voice is quieter too, to match your tone. "I made so many mistakes, I knew so little at the time… If I could do it again, I could have done it so much more cleanly, so much better… but we cannot undo what has been done."

She laughs, and it's a bitter sound. "For a time, I told myself that those deaths were a worthy sacrifice, that my life would be more valuable than theirs. But in Makai… it became obvious how hollow and false that reasoning was. But it still happened. Even if I cannot be forgiven, surely I at least owe those people the use of the time they gave me, towards a better world."

"I did not enjoy waiting for your arrival sister," you say earnestly. "All you can do is strive to be better, to do better. Though… I have on confidence that you have been involved in quite a bit of violence."

Her voice segues into a tone of something often repeated. "If forceful action is done with compassion in the heart, done without anger, it may be violence on the physical level, then is it truly violent in the ways that matter?"

You pull back, staring your sister in the eyes, your hands move to her cheeks, then squish them. "Trying to speak in a philosophical manner does not prevent a question from being idiotic sister. There is a difference between self defense and a brawl."

She laughs, more openly this time, and for a moment, the years melt away, and things seem just as they were so, so long ago, when you and her last had one of your arguments about Buddhist doctrine. "I learnt the tone from you, brother!"

You smile. "Indeed you did, now, tell me-"

[] ["- about your followers, and how they came to accompany you."]

[] ["- what you were thinking, with that gaudy abomination of a temple."]

[] ["- how often and when do you do teachings, and what have you been focusing on?"]

[] ["- ... :But why the bike?"]

Erien: Anyone who claims Byakuren isn't a youkai is someone I am willing to fistfight.
Redshirt: Yukari just wants to know if she's allowed to go back to sleep, which is big mood.

Last edited:
[X] ["- how often and when do you do teachings, and what have you been focusing on?"]

Maybe not the most exiting for fans of the characters and setting but pretty logical considering their conversation just now.

[X] ["- how often and when do you do teachings, and what have you been focusing on?"]
Let us ask about how much she has been preaching

[X] ["- what you were thinking, with that gaudy abomination of a temple."]

Get the one that really offended him out of the way!

If you wish to debate the philosophy of life, my gateways will remain open. But you've answered my question regardless - if you are not here to meddle with the greater society, then we have no quarrel."
In a world where holes in the fabric of space can be patched with magic wooden boards and nails, I suppose directly meddling with one of a land's major religions doesn't count as meddling with the land's society as a whole.
She swallows. "Right. Yes, you said that. So… you'll be leaving, again. Soon."
What is "soon" to a being who has lived for so long?

That Yukari conversation really shows her priorities doesn't it?

1. The survival of Youkai (and herself) which by extension is Gensokyo as a whole.
2. Sleep.
3. Amusement.

Truly a creature who has her life figured out.

She covers her mouth, affecting a coquettish mannerism. "My, so forward to ask a lady about such things." She giggles, before lowering her hand. "Does a human lose their arms, their legs, when they sleep?"

This just made me remember Yukari gaps in her sleep and once freaked herself out by waking up to the sight of her own arm hanging from the ceiling.

[] ["- ... :But why the bike?"]

Time to explain about the Urban Myths and the Turbo Granny.

[X] ["- about your followers, and how they came to accompany you."]
To be fixated on the Bike would be funny ... but I can imagine this guy being legitimately curious about the troupe she has gathered for herself ... and her Rivalry with the Taoists.

Also, Yukari is a complete troll. She did that on purpose.

*vibes to music quietly*

She blinks. Then, slowly, a laugh bubbles out from her, seemingly against her will. You suspect it's the first honest reaction you've gotten from her throughout this entire conversation

I always like these little side bits inside conversations they add...depth... character? IDK.. one of the things I struggle to do with my own writing.

I… alright. The bike goes

... ... she should bring up 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

[X] ["- ... :But why the bike?"]

(The answer is undoubtedly to pick up chicks… :V )

Last edited:

Back