Creche 2.1 Draft

Creche 2.1

{A gathering of hatchlings in a nesting colony, tended to by different adult birds.}

(•͈⌔•͈ ツ

It was wet, and so dark I was blind to everything but the path and flow of the water. The first two seconds were a confused jumble, up was down, down was up, then right. I was spinning down the chute before I tucked in my arms and legs and abandoned myself to the path of the pipe as I was washed down, and steeled myself through every painful bump against the walls.

My lungs burned.

The first time I surfaced, I spluttered and gasped, and coughed. I swallowed as much water as air. The second time I was dazed, black swimming in the corners of my eyes, and my hair in my face.

When the water finally slowed, I was half drowned, floating on top of the stream that was almost a river. I don't know how I ended face up and lived through that. Powers, maybe.

I floated to a stop on a gravel bank, and it was a few minutes before I gathered my wits, shook off my daze and sat up.

I hurt. I hurt, all of me. I couldn't see much, but a beam of light filtered from high above. I had come to rest in a cavern, it was wide and open, the ceiling damp and dripping. Spires of stone stretched from the floor to the ceiling.

The cavern extended away in two directions, the cavern wall was separated into a maze of rocky ledges and smooth, water worn stone formations. Somewhere the rusted pipes and concrete had become a cave.

Under these, an empty expanse widened and widened until the flow was thin over the ledge into the dark bellow, I was lucky it became too shallow for me to float over the edge. I wasn't sure I was in Alchemilla any more, but that strange echo was still there. Labyrinth's power was still all around me, still active, still working. Stronger now, I thought… I might even be closer to her.

I gathered my legs under me and shivered, then stood up. I weaved a little on my feet, dizzy. Nauseous. I folded, my knees giving out under me and I fell to all fours in the water. I vomited up all the water I'd swallowed, until the heaves didn't bring anything more up.

I tried to stand again, and this time managed to keep my feet. I waded until the water was not around my knees anymore, but splashed with every step. The air was cool and moist, and raised goosebumps on my arms. Cold.

Where did I go now?

I stepped over to the wall, trailing my hand as a guide in the murk until I stood over the edge of the lethargic waterfall. Far below, the water turned to misty darkness. I knew the bottom had to be there, I could hear it. Water fell, water was everywhere.

I looked back the way I came. Then up, into the rocks and formations overhead. Labyrinth was well named, I'd never find my way through all of that.

I stopped and planted my feet. I pushed on my power, turned the dial up, flipped the switch, listened. I didn't have a target, didn't have a destination, so I simply set it loose, pulled back my filters and let it tell me what it did.

Labyrinth's power was still working, things were still moving.

I heard voices.

I stopped and listened, shouting. That sounded like… Regalia.

I mean, he was the only person I knew that treated shouting like it was a conversational tone of voice. With that, I squared my shoulders and looked up, plotting a path up the stratum ledges. Up it was.

I gripped the lowest stone shelf, it was above chest level, and jumped up. I got my elbows over the rock and tried to pull myself up. After a few seconds of straining I started using my legs, feeling for a toehold.

As I kicked uselessly, my power filled in gaps, the location of the rock around me- then it surprised me. I started becoming more aware of my center of balance, or the way my arms were positioned, my leverage… The water on the rock, how slippery it was…

Awareness expanded, and I pulled myself up onto the ledge. Huh.

"Not so hard…"

The awareness remained. Weird. I'd used my power on myself before, but… not like that. Weird… but… I liked it.

I looked for another handhold, and pulled myself up. It wasn't easy, but… It was doable. I reached out for another handhold, pulled myself up. I was breathing hard, but I could see, just looking at them, which I could reach. Which I could pull myself up. How to go about it.

I scaled the rock wall with increasing ease. At the top my arms were shaking, and I was breathing hard, but it was more my being out of shape- I went right up the wall. I knew exactly where my fingerholds were, where I could brace myself, where I could wedge my fingers and toes to hold me. I was in complete control of my balance.

"Wow." I breathed, hands on my knees, "Wow." I started to laugh, then I really laughed. For the first time, using my power had left me… giddy. Really, truly giddy. That had been fun!

"I said quiet! I hear someone."

I stopped laughing, and turned. I didn't see anyone. The voice had been flat and mechanical. Basilisk.

I had that feeling again, the sensation of building, mounting. Labyrinth's power was accumulating again. There was a change coming. I took a step back from the drop.

I spotted Basilisk a moment later, she was poking her head out of one of the tunnels further back and was soaked to the skin, her hair was plastered to her neck and scalp and it looked black in the gloom. Her orange jumpsuit looked brown. "Oh. It's you." Basilisk squinted at me, which looked strange with the bulky, vented mask she wore.

I took a small step back. As the walls rippled with bricks and leaves. Basilisk's eyes widened a moment before her face vanished in an emerging tree's branches.

"What-" I managed before I followed suit.

The terraces and stratified cave wall was transforming, branches and leaves, emerging. Brick, stone, walls emerged from the floor in crumbled heaps.

I watched in wonder as the ruin of an old castle emerged from the walls all around me. Trees shot towards the sky, grass emerged from the stone and water in a wave of gold and green. A village, perched on a rocky landscape accented with long grasses and tall trees, but still inside the cave?

Was the cave natural, maybe a large room in Alchemilla before Labyrinth had changed it? Was there a limit to how much Labyrinth could effect the landscape, the… the layout of her worlds?

"Fuuuuuuuck!" Basilisk's metallic scream roused me as she tumbled through the canopy of a tree. She'd rode up some twenty feet toward the sky, this was complicated by the tree itself hanging over what was now a ten-foot drop. I jumped to try and reach her, catch her- a move that in retrospect was pointless. She was too far away, and anyway she had to weigh more than I did.

What was I going to do, cushion her fall?

Basilisk landed hard, but it was on a grassy patch- well, a muddy grassy patch. It barely resembled the sluggish river that it had been, and fortunately for her. Not far to fall, but far enough if she was less lucky. It was a very soft landing.

I jumped across the rocks, watching my step. The tall grass was deceptive, hiding pitfalls in the crags. But it was getting easier to tell where. I wondered if it was because I was growing familiar to the world-changing nature of Labyrinth's power, or something else.

"Are you all right?" I asked.

Basilisk was now almost entirely brown, with mud, and lying prone, glaring up at me from the shallow puddle she had fallen in.

"I'm not dead," She grit out, paused a beat and then continued more quietly, "I might have sprained my ankle."

She was really lucky, actually. The mud pit was in one of those crags in the ground. There were rocks on three sides. If she'd fallen just a little differently, she could have been seriously hurt.

I squatted at the edge of the pit, on the rock, and offered my hand. Basilisk hesitated, staring at it like it might bite her.

"Come on, I don't think it matters if I want to get muddy at this point." I said, "It's gonna happen."

Basilisk's brow furrowed a little, like my response was not the one she'd been expecting, but she reached up and took my hand-

-Induced mutagenic effect. Vector limited. Provokes uncontrolled tumorous alterations in biological organisms registering her voice-

-and hauled her up and out.

It was interesting. Beside the hints pinging off her power, describing it and how it worked, I could also sense her center of balance, how she moved, and my own balance in relation. How wet the rocks were under my feet.

Basilisk took a wobbly step and I let go of her hand. I'd gotten her out, but now that I had her, I didn't know what to do with her.

"Hello?" I ventured, "You got swept down here too? By the water?"

Basilisk shrugged listlessly, "Yeah." She sighed, "That other guy too, he's here somewhere."

Other guy? Oh. Regalia, maybe. I glanced up the leafy cliff. The trees were still growing, taller and taller. High above, the cave ceiling was folding away into branches, sunlight filtered through the leaves. The borders of the cave were eroding into a larger space

I had no idea how to go about getting back. If things kept changing like this, maybe I couldn't.

"Do you want to look for a way back?" I asked, when I realized the silence had lingered just a bit too long, "Or… we could wait here for security to look for us."

"Labyrinth's worlds don't last. Everything always goes away when she goes to sleep."

That didn't really answer my question. Though maybe it kind of did. If the world would eventually fade away, then staying put made sense. Better than risking falling into those crags…

I gazed over at the moldering castle ruin. I hadn't been outside since arriving at Alchemilla, and the rocky landscape had a lonely, solemn beauty that would have arrested my attention even before four walls, a ceiling, and a floor became the extent of my world.

Basilisk sank to the stone, sitting and staring at her feet, "Might as well just sit here. I don't have anywhere to go."

After a moment, I sat. We waited.

I glanced at Basilisk.

Previously, my experiences with Mimi, Heather, Nick, and Charnel came to mind. But also, I remembered Benny, and Elephant. The horror and the heart-crushing fear, the smell of copper. I hesitated, I dithered. While my previous attempts making friends had been… well, not successful, but not disasters, I faltered.

Basilisk glanced at me, her eyes hooded. Where Nick had responded to me with caution, and Mimi with mercurial change, Basilisk was guarded. Considering. This only undermined my confidence, and I drew in my shoulders.

She looked at me, and she glared, "What's your power?"

I leaned back on the heels of my feet, trying not to show how intimidated I felt. That divot in benny's head lurked in a dark corner in the back of my mind. That feeling as I felt him ebbing, his body slowly shutting down, even as I struggled to help him. I swallowed, and clasped my hands to keep them from shaking.

"I- I- I- I feel things, I can touch them and I know things about them." I stuttered.

Basilisk stared at me, "Fucking figures." She stood, jumping to her feet. She started to pace, walking from one end of our shared rock to the other with quick, angry strides.

"Fucking Thinker, of course! I bet you'll get out. You'll get to go to prom and get a driver's license and become a doctor or a- a- whatever!" Basilisk growled. Or, it sounded like she was growling. It was hard to tell when she was Darth Vader.

I edged back, staring. My power was pinging danger, but only distantly. She was angry, sad, anxious, frustrated. Guilty?

"You'll find something. Be a fucking hero. What am I supposed to do? I can't use my power for anything!"

I concentrated, pulling off anything I could. She was taller than me, older than me. More solidly built. But…

She… she wasn't dangerous. She was… she was sane, I realized. Sane, but her power was deadly and had no off switch. She finished pacing and stopped, standing and staring off into the distance- I followed her gaze, the ruined castle.

Sane, but frustrated, and maybe dangerous. If her mask ever came off, if anyone ever heard her voice. Had anyone ever heard her power? Probably. I felt, suddenly, a kind of kinship in her.

I hesitated to speak, but she was hurting. And I knew what that felt like.

"I killed people too." I said.

She stared at me a moment, then turned away angrily.

I sighed and looked away, out over the rocky field, the ruined walls. My gaze came to settle on the castle, the hollowed-out towers and the still standing keep with the trailing carpet of ivy and moss.

I fixed on that. In this hauntingly beautiful landscape, it stood out.

"Do you want to explore the castle?" I asked.

"Fuck off. I'm… going to look for that loud idiot." She paused, "Can't believe I said that."

(•͈⌔•͈ ツ
Well, Basilisk said she did not want to explore the castle but I could feel her moving as I neared it, in an indistinct, distant way. Circling around in the crags… not moving further from me... Following me?

Was touching someone enough to gain awareness of where they were? I wondered if I'd been getting faster uptake from my powers since this strange, surreal episode began.

Especially compared to the initial confusion and obstruction. If felt like I might be.

I wandered across the crumbling pile of stone at the base of the outer wall there was a wide trench, I guess it was the moat? The castle drawbridge was just a collection of rotted timbers at the bottom of the now, but I forded the ditch it filled, and scaled the other side like a mountain goat… or maybe a cat… Something that scaled walls and moved over obstacles well. A fly or a lizard.

Okay. I was used to this. I could handle any weirdness Alchemilla threw my way. Up I went.

It was so quiet. With a landscape as barren and rocky, and wild as this I kept expecting wind, or the sound of birds crying lonely in the distance, or insects. But there was nothing, hardly a sound at all.

Inside the castle walls, I stopped and turned every which way, staring up at the ramparts and the… that was the right word, right?

The walls were half-collapsed, and the keep and towers were missing their roofs, there were no doors across the Keep's broad threshold. There were trees and bushes growing all among the stones, one tower was crowned with trees, and the courtyard was cast into shadow. Flowers waved among the grass on the walls, white, yellow. Red and blue.

And I was not alone.

Charnel sat in a gently sunken bay, surrounded by long grass and flowers, a few paces in front of where the Keep's front gate might have stood. The courtyard was ringed with the roots of toppled pillars worn smooth by the elements. She was asleep, her silver-white hair gathered in a long rope that trailed to her feet- I hesitated to wake her, but even as I stood there she lifted her head.

"Ah. I must've drifted off." She blinked slowly. Her eyelids still had that blacken-eyed heavily bagged look, all the blood vessels standing out under her perfectly white skin.

"Hello."

"Hello, again, Taylor." Those strange segmented fingers clacked lightly as she folded her hands.

I stared at her a long moment, mulling over what Blake had said. She knows more than she lets on. A question nagged me, "What did you mean, what you said before, that we 'are swords and knives'?" I asked.

Charnal blinked again, she spoke very slowly and clearly, "It is the way of things."

Another of those slow, unsettling blinks, "We are made human by power. We surpass humanity, by power. And by power, we lose our humanity again. The power will rule you. It rules all of us. It is the way of things."

I puzzled on that, "Doctor Selmy tells me to not let my power rule me, change who I am." I said, "A parahuman is a human with a power. Not a power with a human."

"And yet we are chosen by power." Charnel replied, "And we are here because we were overcome by it. We did not possess it, so it possessed us in turn. As we do not possess it, we cannot leave. Those with power can do anything."

I frowned. That sounded familiar.

A sat down beside Charnel, and looked around the courtyard. The sky was opening up above the towers, in every direction, great walls of layered and marbled stone. It was like being at the bottom of a massive canyon, or a crater.

Labyrinth's power was… I'd heard of parahumans working on a scale like this, as profoundly as this. But to see it in action… Was she effecting the entire Alchemilla compound? This had to cover miles.

And, it was beautiful. Bleak and beautiful and grand; peaceful, stark and empty.

I could see hanging terraces of flowers and trees. Cathedral walls, their windows gone, leaving behind a latticework of empty clerestory. Statues, great hands and faces weathered by rain and wind. A ruined village on the canyon wall just below the castle walls, trees growing out of the houses. A bell tower. Huge walls, like small cliffs themselves. An enormous tree, like a forest unto itself.

And high, high above the canyon walls I saw the incongruous trail of an airplane passing through the clouds.

I wondered how the staff would deal with a situation like this. I followed that thought further and wondered how the patients would react. This would sow complete chaos-

Oh no. Sveta.

Sveta… was a sweet girl, and didn't deserve the problems she had to deal with.

But the power she had did make her dangerous, despite her nature and intentions. If these changes continued… if they were as widespread and profound as they were now, and if they continued to change and expand…

She would get out, might already be out. She was a voluntary patient, she understood how dangerous her power was, but it operated without her input.

"I need to find Labyrinth!" I stood, then wondered what I expected to do.

Charnel stared at me, blinking slowly. "I do not know where she is."

I stared up at the canyon walls, at the castle ramparts and the ruined town bellow it, and I reached, feeling out the ebb and flow of Labyrinth's world. I could feel it.

"I don't either, but I bet I can find her."

(•͈⌔•͈ ツ
It was difficult. I hadn't met Labyrinth to begin with, and the world she created made sensing my surroundings difficult. But the arrangement of her valley was a basin, and I was not yet at the lowest point.

I guessed she would be there, in the very lowest point, in the center. The castle overlooked the town, there, the town filled the bottom in a tangle of stone and leaves. It was difficult to gauge its size looking at it, as a forest encroached too heavily. Though the ground was not level at any point, a gorge cut deeply across my path, I looked for a way across.

I followed the slope down, until it became a path and I was looking at a covered stone bridge that crossed a gorge and passed into the town. It was heavy and supported by thick, square columns. I picked my way up the rocks, along a narrow trail, until I found myself walking inside. Inside, water flowed up over my ankles and feet. Cold. The bridge was an aqueduct.

"Huh." I shivered, that water had reminded me that I was wearing scrubs and not much else.

I followed the flow of the river, until the water opened out into a stone-lined pool and I waded out. My socks were soaked now, so I sat beside the pool, stripped them off and wrung them out, and examined my surroundings. The pool bordered one side of a wide plaza, maybe once a market, now grassy and broken with tree roots. Old swords rose among the weeds, stabbed into the ground, or lying fallen in the grass.

"Hello?" I called. I listened a moment, then breathed in, "Hello! Is anyone there?"

My shout was muffled in the silence of the town. It was like a blanket, smothering everything, even the sound of the water falling into the pool was muted. It was eerie.

I started walking, carefully picking my way over the plaza, through the timbers and rusty blades.

Inside the town, the streets were cobbled, but often broken by tree roots or covered in moss, or buried. The walls were stone, and covered in reaching ivy and moss. Wooden carts stood abandoned, and all was still and shadowed in dappled green under the walls and branches. Broken stone and brickwork was everywhere. The streets were narrow, and doorways so close, and even the plaza was small and confined. It was very claustrophobic, so that I could barely see the sky above me.

Leaving the plaza, I headed down, and soon I could sense I was not so alone. I smelled smoke.

"Can anyone hear me?" I called, not holding much hope of a reply.

I found a burning cart at the head of a stair. Still deeper into the heart of the town I found more signs of fire. Seared ivy. Smoldering wood. One of the houses was filled with flames.

Labyrinth's world started to take on a darker edge. The walls pressed in. The moss was replaced by sickly green algae dried and caked on the walls, and the plants grew sparser. The light faded until there was no sky overhead. I head water dripping again, and I had to watch my steps.

Then I found an open door, singed and knocked from rusted hinges. Once it had been covered with carvings and symbols worn down with time. I stepped beyond it, and everything opened up.

I was in a large room. A pillared foyer, I realized, dominated by a statue of a barefoot woman in a robe… Beyond the foyer was a chapel. Here there was light, cast by flickering torches sconced in the walls, and held by statues lining the walls, knights and more women in robes, and above the alter.

"Um… hello?" I said, warily. The alter was a large plinth of stone on top of a small rise of steps, and a girl was seated on the alter. There was a restful air about her as she sat, staring into space with her head tilted just so- like she was listening to distant music. Her eyes did not track me as I approached, and her hands stayed folded in her lap. She… reminded me of Charnel, so colorless and still. But I could see her breathing…

This girl had to be Labyrinth.

Labyrinth… did not look dangerous. She was… well, small. Thin, with long, straight pale hair. A particular pale, almost white, colorless. Her skin was pale too. That particular pallor that Elephant also had, from living inside without much sun.

"Hello?"

I carefully moved up the steps. In the torchlight, her pallor and hair was cast in yellow and orange hues. Her scrubs were orange too, she almost looked like an orange statue herself, very out of place among the towering ones that flanked her. But serene, peaceful.

"Labyrinth?"

She didn't respond.

I reached out slowly, touched her shoulder.

"Laby-

Then, everything changed.

There was a spike of fear, of terror, from Labyrinth; so intense I felt it too and threw myself backwards. The world changed in a ripple, a wave gathering force as it moved out from her and into the world she had built that I could feel as it passed me.

The statues and torches and stone alter were torn away, the changes filled in the space they had been- and plunged the world into darkness. I was blind, and disoriented. Turned around as everything rearranged itself. The smell of leaves and stone were replaced by a musty smell, and rusted metal.

Light flickered on, harsh florescent lighting guttering out, then on again over my head. The church had transformed into a nightmare. Stains trailed down padded walls, chains and thick bundles of barbed wire hung from the ceiling in curtains; the floor was concrete, studded with barbs of broken glass and needles.

In the middle of it, Labyrinth sat on the floor, staring at me mutely. Flickering in and out of sight with the lights, pale like a ghost.

My heart hammered in my chest where I'd sprawled on the glass. I could feel warmth spreading down one arm- my leg- I'd cut myself.

And Labyrinth sat there, mutely staring at me.

"Uh… Hi." I said, "Um. You scared me."

Labyrinth said nothing.

"I… I guess I scared you too." I added, "Sorry." I picked myself back up, carefully not taking my eyes off Labyrinth. But apart from that first outburst of power, she… well, she seemed fairly calm. I thought. It was hard to tell.

"So, uh. Hello." I stood, still looking at her, "The doctors call me Auspice."

Labyrinth blinked once.

"Um, call me Taylor?"

Labyrinth shrank back when I raised my hand. Her hands fisted in her scrubs to tightly her shoulders were shaking.

"Oh… oh, hey…"

Labyrinth shrank back when I stepped forward again, and I offered my hand, palm up, talking very quietly. "It's okay… It's okay."

Labyrinth stopped shaking, and stared back at me, but now I didn't know what to say. "Um. I actually came looking for you." I said, "You don't know how to turn, uh, all this off, do you?"

Labyrinth stared at me, for a moment her mouth opened like she was about to speak, but aborted the action without a sound.

"You can't talk?"

She just stared back at me, blinking slowly.

"Okay." That was problematic, but hardly her fault, "Well, I can't sleep. We're both special like that." If Labyrinth couldn't turn it off, I was stuck.

I… I could try knocking her out… I glanced at her, sitting there looking at me, trusting. No, I didn't think that was an option. Not yet anyway. Right now, I didn't know for certain that she had done anything beyond inconveniencing the staff. I hoped.

Besides, forcibly knocking her out might not actually shut off the effect she had on the asylum, powers didn't have to make sense like that.

"Well, we really need to get out of here. Try and find one of the doctors. Can you walk?" Labyrinth did not move at first, there was an aborted motion in her hands, "I can help you up, if you don't mind?"

I stood and reached out, and this time Labyrinth didn't shy away. I took that as a good sign, and took her hand-

-Creation. Crafts dimensional pockets. Imposes their shape on surroundings. Sculpting. Two threads of consciousness, one manages her worlds, one manages her body. Uneven distribution, fluctuates between-

"Oh, sorry." I blinked, "Zoned out there for a bit. My power kind of reads off people when I touch them, I guess I should have said something."

Labyrinth blinked.

Right, so now I had Labyrinth, where did I take her from here? I looked at the flickering lights, and the chains and rusty wire. The jagged barbs on the floor. The room was square and a hatch closed off one end of the room. It was so heavily rusted I doubted I would be able to open it.

I gave it a try, grabbing the latch and tugging on it once.

"Can… can you change it back to the castle? It was easier to walk."

Labyrinth blinked back at me and… I felt something. The flagstones and torches did not return however. Instead the hatch crumbled away into dust, rusting away in an instant.

"Oh. Okay, thanks." I managed, "That works.

I blinked at a sudden tug. Labyrinth had latched on, one hand fisted on my sleeve.

"Is everything okay?" Her shoulders were shaking again, "It's all right…"

Strange, the world had completely transformed, but I could still smell smoke.

Last edited:
Interlude 1 - Healers
Creche 2.1 continues to improve. The interlude between arc 1 and arc 2 is giving me headaches, tho.

So far:

Interlude 1 - Healers

(•͈⌔•͈ ツ
Yamada
(•͈⌔•͈ ツ

Offices were one of those places that were a litmus of an individual's life. There were others, the basement, the garage, the attic, the bedroom; they were personal places, places that where important, that were used- but also places that were not strictly public, personal. It led to a lot of personality, and sometimes surprises.

As the director packed his up, put away the desk clock and the framed diplomas and the photographs, take everything down from the walls and empty the shelves- filling the boxes, a picture began to emerge. Director Foster rarely looked at his class photograph. A number of books sat on his shelves, crisp and new and unused, decorative. A short stack of old subscriptions to art magazines, creased.

A clay figurine sat on a shelf already empty, neglected and forgotten.

"What's this?"

Director Foster paused, looking over from the box currently sat atop his desk, and the clock in his hands. He cocked his head to one side, contemplating the ceramic effigy in her hands.

"I don't actually know," he decided.

Jessica glanced back at the… thing… the clay thing. It was fired clay, with a transparent glaze. Roughly half of it was painted bright red, the rest was white and black, and kind of reminded her of a lumpy table. Or maybe a castle. She turned it over, experimenting with the fresh perspective. One of the legs was much thicker than the others, molded into… into.

Maybe it was a dog? Those two lumps might be ears…

"I think it was a gift, from one of my earliest patients." Doctor Foster decided, and put the clock in the box.

They were almost done. Three boxes containing the director's memorabilia and personal effects.

"I'm surprised you kept it." Geoffrey noted, "You don't strike me as the sentimental type."

That was a subtle dig on Geoffrey's part. Jessica could see the assessment in his following glance.

Jeremy smiled thinly, though Jessica couldn't be certain he recognized the jab for the intent behind it, "Oh, not usually."

There had always been an undercurrent between Geoffrey and the Director. It was subtle, Jeremy might not have even been aware of it. But Geoffrey's eyes were hooded, and face a blank mask of professionalism, when Jessica knew his mind was moving most quickly.

Doctor Foster's watch was gold. Jessica had also seen the director paging through real-estate and art catalogues. Director Foster had expensive tastes. Geoffrey had once obliquely commented that the Director's tenure would never have accommodated it. Jessica shook her head, no use speculating. Jeremy Foster was retiring, the last boxes were packed.

Later, in the staff lounge, there was a small buffet. Several Doctors were in attendance, most of them the old guard. She remembered the faces from those first few weeks, how few of them were still here. Though there were some, like Kenneth, new arrivals that were still finding their place in the faculty. Still approaching Alchemilla like it was an opportunity to make a difference, a new frontier of psychiatric medicine.

Jessica shied away from that thinking- it was too easy to compare to her own experiences, expectations. Her first weeks working at Alchemilla, arming herself with knowledge, staying up late researching procedures and safeguards. And the fatigue that set in when she realized it wasn't enough.

When they arrived they had wide smiles and bright eyes, that energy and easy laughing, so eager to bond, form camaraderie. It was always the same, after the first month; the brightness left their eyes, but their smiles got wider, their laughs a little thinner and rarer.

The Patients lived in fear of the Doctors, doing whatever they thought would endear them to their councilors. Doctors lived in fear of their patients, the teenager that could bench press a bus with his bare hands, and sometimes had a temper to match.

"Of course." Jeremy stopped in the doorway, the last box under one arm. "I admit, I won't miss this."

Geoffrey tapped his cane once on the floor, "How so?"

"If you'd told me, twenty years ago, what this job would actually entail, I don't think I would have taken it." Jeremy said, with a smile, stepping out into the hall. Jessica and Geoffrey fell in behind him, Doctor Greene behind them. "Each month, each patient. New regulations, corrections to those regulations when the patients break out regardless. More budget revisions, more renovations, and then repairs when another patient starts a brawl. Standing there with the PRT Administrative Board each year and explaining how I'm doing everything I can to keep my patients happy, and yes we need more funding."

"No, they won't take our patients. No, we can't discharge them without Board approval. No, our requests have been denied again… It wasn't worth it."

It was true.

Patients with a violent history almost never got approved for release, never escaped the orange. Not even under the authority of three therapists and the Faculty Director, as regulations stated. Any recommendation for release had to be submitted to the Faculty Director, a process that typically took two weeks or longer. Assuming the Faculty Director had no objections, your recommendation then had to be submitted to the PRT, their Board of Directors had to okay the release. The average waiting period for Board Approval was four months. During that time their patients were surrounded at all times by parahumans in potentially worse states of mind, in that situation all it would really take is time, another patient being jealous, just an opportunity.

And it really took so little, confined with a few dozen others in the same wing of one building they could not leave.

It's faster, of course, to apply for Protectorate membership first. A patient can, actually. In doing so, there is a loophole that allows said patient to skip the Faculty Director, and the PRT Board. Since they are already Protectorate affiliated they technically only require the go-ahead from a PRT affiliated Councilor and Psychiatrist, who then submit a report to the PRT board for review, but do not actually require approval before that patient can be released into PRT custody. It takes two weeks, sometimes less.

Not all were willing, and Jessica thought the system unfair. It left them with one route out of Alchemilla. It legally cornered them.

"It seems to be that you did well enough." Geoffrey said, slightly archly.

Jessica shook her head, still that prying undercurrent.

Jeremy just snorted, "You know the note I'm leaving on? Another fight in the cafeteria, and a patient died this time-"

"Benjamin Carson." Geoffrey supplied, quietly.

Jeremy paused, thrown off his stride, "Ah. Yes."

(•͈⌔•͈ ツ
Selmy
(•͈⌔•͈ ツ

Those in our field I interact with, tend to have rather unique backgrounds.

"What a week, right?" Kenneth asked.

"What a week…" Jessica agreed, with a tired echo, "What a week."

Kenneth fidgeted, sipping at his soda- alcohol was strictly monitored on the Alchemilla faculty campus -he shifted from one foot to the other, glanced around the room. It was the same story. Staff were prohibited from talking about happenings inside Alchemilla by half a dozen Non-Disclosures and heavy career implications, but only to non-staff.

So, naturally, gossip was rampant and completely unchecked.

Geoffrey watched him idly, seated by the wall, resting his hands on the head of his cane- and wondered what form his anxiety would take. Everyone went about it a different way, the greenhorns were always different, the veterans all the same. But the greenhorns were always interesting. Some got quiet, became the good listeners. Some started talking, kept talking. Some started moving.

Kenneth was a mover and a talker.

"I was wondering…" Kenneth reached up and rubbed the back of his neck, "I was talking to Doctor Brown, yesterday. Talking about the cafeteria incident, what happened to Benny… There was another fight, eight months back, put four security in the infirmary, two nurses, and three patients." Ronald said, "A year ago, there was a confrontation in special containment that killed four staff."

The tone of the circle turned somber, and Geoffrey quietly leaned back, studying the men and women mingling.

It was a funny thing, why many people entered the field of psychiatry.

In Geoffrey's experience, councilors very often grew up desiring to help people, either as a career, or as a more general approach to life. That kind didn't tend to last very long at Alchemilla.

He had worked in the PRT regional rotation, and Alchemilla's Faculty for thirty years, and was the one psychiatrist on staff that worked the field before parahumans flew the skies. He remembered a different time.

He belonged to a different time.

If compassion was Kenneth's motivation, Geoffrey would have to advise him to find a different venue. Too many bright young minds burnt themselves out at Alchemilla. It was not a place for tender hearts. Hearts easily broken.

Then again, there was another possible motive. Fascination. Typically, a fascination with dysfunction. Neurological, philosophical interest, but first a fascination with dysfunction. Mostly, it is a fascination with their own situation, their family life, upbringing…

It wasn't egotism, he'd found that assessment lacking and narrow

(•͈⌔•͈ ツ
So, question!

Anybody have some experiences with psychologists they want to share? Favorite scenes from movies or books? Ideas?

These guys are harder to write then I thought...

Full outline - Interlude 1
Finished draft!

Yamada
(•͈⌔•͈ ツ
Offices were one of those places that were a litmus of an individual's life. There were others, the basement, the garage, the attic, the bedroom; they were personal places, places that where important, that were used- but also places that were not strictly public, personal. It led to a lot of personality, and sometimes surprises.

As the director packed his up, put away the desk clock and the framed diplomas and the photographs, take everything down from the walls and empty the shelves- filling the boxes, a picture began to emerge. Director Foster rarely looked at his class photograph. A number of books sat on his shelves, crisp and new and unused, decorative. A short stack of old subscriptions to art magazines, creased.

A clay figurine sat on a shelf already empty, neglected and forgotten.

"What's this?"

Director Foster paused, looking over from the box currently sat atop his desk, and the clock in his hands. He cocked his head to one side, contemplating the ceramic effigy in her hands.

"I don't actually know," he decided.

Jessica glanced back at the… thing… the clay thing. It was fired clay, with a transparent glaze. Roughly half of it was painted bright red, the rest was white and black, and kind of reminded her of a lumpy table. Or maybe a castle. She turned it over, experimenting with the fresh perspective. One of the legs was much thicker than the others, molded into… into.

Maybe it was a dog? Those two lumps might be ears…

"I think it was a gift, from one of my earliest patients." Doctor Foster decided, and put the clock in the box.

They were almost done. Three boxes containing the director's memorabilia and personal effects.

"I'm surprised you kept it." Geoffrey noted, "You don't strike me as the sentimental type."

That was a subtle dig on Geoffrey's part. Jessica could see the assessment in his following glance.

Jeremy smiled thinly, though Jessica couldn't be certain he recognized the jab for the intent behind it, "Oh, not usually."

There had always been an undercurrent between Geoffrey and the Director. It was subtle, Jeremy might not have even been aware of it. But Geoffrey's eyes were hooded, and face a blank mask of professionalism, when Jessica knew his mind was moving most quickly.

Doctor Foster's watch was gold. Jessica had also seen the director paging through real-estate and art catalogues. Director Foster had expensive tastes. Geoffrey had once obliquely commented that the Director's tenure would never have accommodated it. Jessica shook her head, no use speculating. Jeremy Foster was retiring, the last boxes were packed.

Later, in the staff lounge, there was a small buffet. Several Doctors were in attendance, most of them the old guard. She remembered the faces from those first few weeks, how few of them were still here. Though there were some, like Kenneth, new arrivals that were still finding their place in the faculty. Still approaching Alchemilla like it was an opportunity to make a difference, a new frontier of psychiatric medicine.

Jessica shied away from that thinking- it was too easy to compare to her own experiences, expectations. Her first weeks working at Alchemilla, arming herself with knowledge, staying up late researching procedures and safeguards. And the fatigue that set in when she realized it wasn't enough.

When they arrived they had wide smiles and bright eyes, that energy and easy laughing, so eager to bond, form camaraderie. It was always the same, after the first month; the brightness left their eyes, but their smiles got wider, their laughs a little thinner and rarer.

The Patients lived in fear of the Doctors, doing whatever they thought would endear them to their councilors. Doctors lived in fear of their patients, the teenager that could bench press a bus with his bare hands, and sometimes had a temper to match.

"Of course." Jeremy stopped in the doorway, the last box under one arm. "I admit, I won't miss this."

Geoffrey tapped his cane once on the floor, "How so?"

"If you'd told me, twenty years ago, what this job would actually entail, I don't think I would have taken it." Jeremy said, with a smile, stepping out into the hall. Jessica and Geoffrey fell in behind him, Doctor Greene behind them. "Each month, each patient. New regulations, corrections to those regulations when the patients break out regardless. More budget revisions, more renovations, and then repairs when another patient starts a brawl. Standing there with the PRT Administrative Board each year and explaining how I'm doing everything I can to keep my patients happy, and yes we need more funding."

"No, they won't take our patients. No, we can't discharge them without Board approval. No, our requests have been denied again… It wasn't worth it."

It was true.

Patients with a violent history almost never got approved for release, never escaped the orange. Not even under the authority of three therapists and the Faculty Director, as regulations stated. Any recommendation for release had to be submitted to the Faculty Director, a process that typically took two weeks or longer. Assuming the Faculty Director had no objections, your recommendation then had to be submitted to the PRT, their Board of Directors had to okay the release. The average waiting period for Board Approval was four months. During that time their patients were surrounded at all times by parahumans in potentially worse states of mind, in that situation all it would really take is time, another patient being jealous, just an opportunity.

And it really took so little, confined with a few dozen others in the same wing of one building they could not leave.

It's faster, of course, to apply for Protectorate membership first. A patient can, actually. In doing so, there is a loophole that allows said patient to skip the Faculty Director, and the PRT Board. Since they are already Protectorate affiliated they technically only require the go-ahead from a PRT affiliated Councilor and Psychiatrist, who then submit a report to the PRT board for review, but do not actually require approval before that patient can be released into PRT custody. It takes two weeks, sometimes less.

Not all were willing, and Jessica thought the system unfair. It left them with one route out of Alchemilla. It legally cornered them.

"It seems to be that you did well enough." Geoffrey said, slightly archly.

Jessica shook her head, still that prying undercurrent.

Jeremy just snorted, "You know the note I'm leaving on? Another fight in the cafeteria, and a patient died this time-"

"Benjamin Carson." Geoffrey supplied, quietly.

Jeremy paused, thrown off his stride, "Ah. Yes."

(•͈⌔•͈ ツ
Selmy
(•͈⌔•͈ ツ

Those in our field he interacted with, tended to have rather unique backgrounds.

"What a week, right?" Kenneth asked.

"What a week…" Jessica agreed, with a tired echo, "What a week."

Kenneth fidgeted, sipping at his soda- alcohol was strictly monitored on the Alchemilla faculty campus -he shifted from one foot to the other, glanced around the room. It was the same story. Staff were prohibited from talking about happenings inside Alchemilla by half a dozen Non-Disclosures and heavy career implications, but only to non-staff.

So, naturally, gossip was rampant and completely unchecked.

Geoffrey watched him idly, seated by the wall, resting his hands on the head of his cane- and wondered what form his anxiety would take. Everyone went about it a different way, the greenhorns were always different, the veterans all the same. But the greenhorns were always interesting. Some got quiet, became the good listeners. Some started talking, kept talking. Some started moving.

Kenneth was a mover and a talker.

"I was wondering…" Kenneth reached up and rubbed the back of his neck, "I was talking to Doctor Brown, yesterday. Talking about the cafeteria incident, what happened to Benny… There was another fight, eight months back, put four security in the infirmary, two nurses, and three patients." Ronald said, "A year ago, there was a confrontation in special containment that killed four staff."

The tone of the circle turned somber, and Geoffrey quietly leaned back, studying the men and women mingling.

It was a funny thing, why many people entered the field of psychiatry.

In Geoffrey's experience, councilors very often grew up desiring to help people, either as a career, or as a more general approach to life. That kind didn't tend to last very long at Alchemilla.

He had worked in the PRT regional rotation, and Alchemilla's Faculty for thirty years, and was the one psychiatrist on staff that worked the field before parahumans flew the skies. He remembered a different time.

He belonged to a different time.

If compassion was Kenneth's motivation, Geoffrey would have to advise him to find a different venue. Too many bright young minds burnt themselves out at Alchemilla. It was not a place for tender hearts. Hearts easily broken.

Then again, there was another possible motive. Fascination. Typically, a fascination with dysfunction. Neurological, philosophical interest, but first a fascination with dysfunction. Mostly, it is a fascination with their own situation, their family life, upbringing…

It wasn't egotism, he'd found that assessment lacking and narrow. Any absolute Axiom is, by nature, flawed. But, rather, the gravitation of the familiar. Inside even the most jaded and hardened man or woman existed, in unguarded moments, a child that reached out for the places they thought safe, that they knew.

It was unfortunate that the younger generation thought so little, and so shallowly, about such things. It seemed that the youth were increasingly…

But, no. No spiraling into the maudlin reflections for ages past. Which, likely meant it was time to leave, he had never been one for casual social gatherings, not at the university, not here. It lead him to dark thoughts, and he had much to be grateful for. He lead a long and blessed life, in a blessed time.

What place did such thinking have?

Selmy stood and made his way out of the staff lounge, excusing himself to Director Foster. Whatever he thought of the man, it was his day. Grace for the man.

In the hall, he slowed down. Selmy carried his cane- the days were few and far between that he needed it to walk in earnest, yet. Though his steps might have been slower than the year before.

His office was down the hall, and one over. And stepping in, he turned on the lights.

His easy chair took up one corner. The lying couch took a wall. Two other chairs in conversing distance in case his patients did not want to lie down.

His desk- not a large one. He was a believer in simplicity. A carpet underfoot. Bookshelves with well-worn books. Not many, but quality where quantity was not needed or wanted.

He tried to impart something to his space that comforted those that visited him.

Water, glasses. He was known to keep a few snacks and sweet drinks in the small refrigerator behind his desk. There were crayons and paints in a cabinet. There was an oil painting over the desk.

He remembered Kylie, when she had first walked in the door, frightened, eyes wide and angry. She hadn't known what many of the little comforts he offered her meant, the intent behind them.

He could see her there, so short and thin from many days with less food than a growing child needed.

Selmy blinked away the past, and ran a hand along the spines of a set of larger books- albums.

…One he selected, and opened it. The first pages filled with pages torn and scribbled with a pen that scored them deeply. A splash of angry color here and there, indecipherable as the rest of it was.

He turned a page and they morphed into lines of letters, then to words, as Kylie learned to read and write. Then later there was basic mathematics. There were pictures mixed in with the rest, also transforming.

First the simple drawings. Stick figures and simple shapes. Then it transformed. Budded and bloomed.

He turned the page and saw a himself, first simple sketching, then… then a work of love, painstakingly rendered over days or weeks. A surprise birthday present.

It was the odyssey of a soul.

"I'll try and arrange for another ride-along with Kiloton." He'd said one day. It was one of the very best, and Kylie was glowing with success. She had been taken on a ride-along with a Protectorate hero and she was thinking about the future.

Kylie looked at him, frowning in that manner she had Her eyes with those strange, narrow pupils of hers wide and earnest.

"Some only got pain to give 'cause pain all's they ever got. Why's that what they got? What I got?"

He would find, later, after Kiloton gave his report, that the protectorate event- one at a home for abused women and children -had effected Feral deeply. Effected Kylie deeply.

Selmy blinked. Coming back to himself.

Some heroes are ignoble.

But the thin street child with cat-eyes and superpowers, the one that saw him as a hero, might have been one of the most unlikely of all. She certainly was his.

He was on the last page. He did not remember turning the pages, perhaps he was finally getting old? Bah, now he was starting to sound like Foster, dropping what he probably thought of as 'subtle' hints that he was past his due date and it was time to retire. Well, today it was Foster retiring, and he'd outlast the next Director too, likely. Foster was the third, after all.

He placed the album back it its place of honor. And then, almost an afterthought, his hands drifted along the bookshelf's other occupants. Alchemilla was not a place for tender hearts, not a place for hearts easily broken. No. But his was shored up by greater wisdoms than his own.

Ganghi. Anne Frank. Luthor. Wordsworth. The Bible.

With all suffering, there was a crucible's fire from which great souls could emerge. It went hand in hand with the mortal experience. All the greatest he had ever touched had endured it, and it educated and informed his own actions and fortitude.

He found one title, pulled it out, sat back down and began to read.

(•͈⌔•͈ ツ
Foster
(•͈⌔•͈ ツ

He would not miss this place. He had poured out his life into Alchemilla, twenty years of steadily deteriorating conditions. Twenty years of budget cuts and unmet goals. More patients, fewer recoveries.

More disappointments, fewer reasons to keep hoping it would mean something. It didn't.

The initial directives the Asylum operated under were obsolete, the initial project long faded to irrelevance, but never abandoned. The same constrictive requirements remained. Director Costa-Brown was sympathetic, but resources were better applied elsewhere, where they could have an impact against the ever-present threat of the Endbringers.

Patient mortality rates continued to rise. Staff turnover was punishing, even with Protectorate circuits providing lulls of less intense and stressful work. There was never enough money to go around, and always more that demanded what was available.

… The PRT Board of Directors had deemed Alchemilla a failed project. Priority had shifted to Baumann, and the tug of war lost ground.

Which was why, two and a half years ago, when he had been approached by a man named Christof, he took his offer.

Not the only one he worked with since then, but the first.

He had misgivings, occasionally, but twenty years and change had inured him to sentiment and to wondering if it was the Britain's elusive Suits, or the CUI that footed his bill. Or, perhaps, in his more fanciful moods, the PRT keeping extra eyes on troublesome villains. Sentiment was no use in a field with as much attrition as Alchemilla.

Though, looking at the cake his coworkers had bought to commemorate his retirement, he found himself reflecting on the years with a melancholy fondness.

"Thank you, Jessica." Jermey said, and he meant it.

He wondered if he'd miss it. It was such a strange notion, but then, he'd had a hand in so much of Alchemilla's history, it's shaping as a premier faculty and institution in parahuman psychological studies and treatment.

He found himself wondering if it would improve without him, if maybe it had been him, his fault.

They there had been a ripple, something like the feeling of cool air- the draft when a door was opened suddenly. Foster happened to be looking in the direction of the punch bowl and saw an actual ripple pass across the top. The chunk of slowly melting sherbet floating in the middle moved with it.

The lights flickered and the gathered Doctors moved closer together- instinctively gravitating towards their fellows for safety.

It was just a moment, and he let himself hope, for just a breath, that it was something else. That perhaps he imagined that alarm blaring in the distance.

Before the lights flickered again, and the rust began to bleed down the walls. The paint evaporated into the air, and stained concrete emerged.

The staff sometimes jokingly referred to these events, when Labyrinth manifested her power to its fullest, as 'the tide coming in'.

"All right!" He jumped at the voice, unexpectedly loud in the silence as the room transformed, "We've all trained for this, an orderly line please."

Jessica was striding across the floor, and gently guided grey-haired Nancy Linstrome, the most senior councilor on staff- into the line. She then remained at the back of the line and helped the elderly woman keep up with the rest of the party as they filed out.

"A patient killed and Labyrinth running rampant all in one week." His lips twisted sardonically as they walked. The ceiling transformed from acoustic tiles to pipes and chains, and barbed wire. As the doors became steel bars.

Jessica's steps slowed, and she fell into step beside him.

"Labyrinth's worlds are dangerous, but not directly harmful. Usually her world fade away in a few hours."

"Usually her powers are restrained to specialized containment." Foster retorted.

Jessica paused, "What do you think set her off?"

"Probably visiting hours again." He replied. Ah, yes, Burnscar. The lonely and neurotic pyrokinetic. So difficult to contain, before she'd been introduced to Labyrinth.

Burnscar was ruled by self-doubt and crippling guilt. Labyrinth's worlds could help her escape that, temporarily. It served as a tidy stick and carrot to keep her in line. Emotional dependency; to control her, if needed.

If this could be called control.

"Mimi must be frightened." Jessica said.

Jessica had not approved of the notion, of using patients against each other. Jeremy envied that about her- that core of steel. He couldn't bring himself to care like Jessica did anymore.

It was too exhausting. And nothing ever came of it.

He looked down and realized he was still holding his cup of punch. With a wry twist of his lips, he downed it.

A toast.

Damn it all. Damn it all to hell.

Bird: Creche 2.1

(•͈⌔•͈ ツ
Bird: Creche 2.1

{A gathering of hatchlings in a nesting colony, tended to by different adult birds.}

AO3 Link.

FFN Link.

The first time I surfaced, I spluttered and gasped, and coughed. I swallowed as much water as air. The second time I was dazed, black swimming in the corners of my eyes, and my hair in my face.

When the water finally slowed, I was half drowned, floating on top of the stream that was almost a river. I don't know how I ended face up and lived through that. Powers, maybe.

I floated to a stop on a gravel bank, and it was a few minutes before I gathered my wits, shook off my daze and sat up.

I hurt. I hurt, all of me.

Creche 2.2 #1
(•͈⌔•͈ ツ
Stepping through the rusted hole into the dark, I stopped and took a proper grip on Labyrinth's wrist. I had a firm respect for what her power did now, and I didn't want either of us to get lost.

Outside was a hallway, a single lightbulb flicking on my right, far into the distance and a cool breeze brushed against my face. The floor was bare, stained concrete, black and rusty red, and had an oily sheen. Mercifully, we left behind the needles and glass in the room where I had found Labyrinth, where in glinted in the corners.

But the gloom made me pause, one hand trailing over the wall, the other latched onto Labyrinth. A trickle of moisture ran down the middle of the hallway, splashing sullenly as I took a hesitant step towards the light. A chain brushed my head and I flinched, the ceiling overhead was indistinct shadow overhead, filled with rattling pipes and chains gently swaying in the breeze still brushing my face and still that distant smell of smoke.

We reached the flickering light. It was a four way intersection in the hall with crumbled concrete on the floor, and there were no other lights to be seen. I turned in a circle but each direction was the same and I was lost, I was lost in this place and it was pathless, aimless, and murky.

I took a deep breath, take stock. I still had the breeze on my face. I could tell where I was in relation to the Chapel-turned-padded-room. I thought some more, and touched on that sense of elsewhere.

Basilisk- I spoken to her, touched her, but Labyrinth's power had reset my perceptions. To my surprise, I could still sense her, vaguely. I looked for more- senses of direction and familiarily. I'd talked to Heather, walked around with her, had a group meeting with her- and a vague sense of direction lingered. No exactly a sense of her, or Nick. They were… more like… a 'that way' with a wave of a hand. That's what it felt like.

Doctor Yamada, Doctor Selmy, I was more familiar with them but they might have been further away… it was hard to tell? Mimi I could sense a little, and I'd only talked to her once and never actually touched her, so that was a little strange.

Maybe it was because I was touching Labyrinth? Could that impact my ability to sense through her interference? Sense people caught inside her range? I glanced at Labyrinth, standing mutely by my side, hand still fisted in my sleeve. I still had a firm grip on her wrist as well.

-Fear, despair, resentment, sentiment. Conceptual shaping. Nature of creation formed by underlying ideas and emotions of host. Host determines form, function. Created dimensional impression altered by mental state-

Well, I could probably navigate with that… it was better than nothing.

"Okay." I breathed, "Okay, just need to find a way out of here…"

I decided to head straight. Keep the wind at my face and hopefully make it easier to navigate. I started moving, tugging Labyrinth along behind me.

"So… Uh, I never really got to be a hero or make a costume or anything. Getting powers was kind of messy for me."

Labyrinth didn't say anything.

"… What was it like for you? I mean… I've been talking through it, and I think parahumans getting powers isn't fun in general? I've never been clear on that, it varies. I know it wasn't fun for me." I said.

We came to another intersection, I turned right, following the wind. I glanced at Labyrinth. She was still completely silent, but she was looking at me and blinked back slowly. I took it as a good sign.

I kept talking, filling up the silence. "I read a lot, because I don't sleep anymore, so I read a lot about powers and stuff online. It's called a trigger event, when we get our powers. There's all kinds of theories about how it works. Some of them are really crazy."

The hall opened up into a room. Collapsed shelves covered with dust and loose papers, cabinets with almost all their doors missing. The few that remained hung open from a single hinge. There were lights but they were dim, sickly discolored florescent tubes that cast everything in shadows.

I took an experimental step into the mess, poking at the papers. There were folders mixed in with it all.

I maneuvered Labyrinth to a collapsed shelf and sat her down before turning my attention to the contents of the shelf all around us. I squatted down and gingerly tugged a folder out. 'Case # 00384302 Alchemilla' it read. I opened it and skimmed the first page…

Vironic? I thought I recognized the name…

I picked up another.

Hearthstone.

Storm Eagle

They were patient records.

Were these real, or where they reproductions based on Labyrinth's shaped world? Or maybe there was bleed-through? Would her power fill in something she hadn't thought of, or leave it in as long as it still filled the general theme of her world? Were these actual patient records, or some kind of fantastical embellishment from watching too many horror movies?

Did it matter? I coughed. The smell of smoke was almost overpowering.

I lay the files back down, but my palms were itching, I reached for another.

I stared at the picture on the front page- it was a mugshot. A Girl glaring back with a sneer and emotion on her face, in her slouch. She had a small scar crossing her eyebrow, and a cut on her lip. Freckles. It looked so utterly unlike Charnel it couldn't be her, but it was.… Charnel.

I reached for her file, picked it up, and then hesitated. This was probably confidential. I was invading her privacy.

A flicker of light, I glanced up and found loose paper sitting on top of the pile had caught fire, a bit of flame licking the edge and growing.

Then I noticed a spot of brown on the edge of Charnel's file, and it was growing. And there, on the folder, a brown spot turning black, like it'd been charred. I looked down at the pile of papers and realized it was not unique.

If the real asylum was on fire, but Labyrinth's world was not, would it burn? Would we even see it before it? My mind raced, I still didn't know enough about Labyrinth's power, what about the air? Big fires sucked all the oxygen out of the air!

I stood in alarm, file folder still in hand. I grabbed Labyrinth's sleeve.

(•͈⌔•͈ ツ

Creche 2.2 Draft
Creche 2.2

(•͈⌔•͈ ツ

Outside was a hallway with a single lightbulb flicking on my right, far into the distance. A cool breeze brushed against my face as well. The floor was bare, stained concrete, black and rusty red, and had an oily sheen. Mercifully, we left behind the needles and glass in the padded room, where they glinted in the corners.

After stepping out of the rusted hole, I stopped and took a proper grip on Labyrinth's wrist. I had a firm respect for what her power did now, and I didn't want either of us to get lost. I'd set out firm in resolve, but the gloom made me pause, one hand trailing over the wall, Labyrinth still holding my other sleeve. A trickle of moisture ran down the middle of the hallway, splashing sullenly as I took a hesitant step towards the light. A chain brushed my head and I jumped. Looking up didn't help the ceiling overhead was indistinct shadow, filled with rattling pipes and chains gently swaying in the breeze; the breeze that still brushed my face, still carried that distant smell of smoke.

Occasionally there were gaps, dark wire-toothed openings in the concrete framed with rusted metal and sharp mesh with holes pushed through them, or metal grills covering openings. Windows or doorways, or sometimes places concrete had crumbled away, and under it was rusted wire, which was twised into jagged ends that hooked and cut open the palm of my hand.

"Ah."

That hurt.

Labyrinth didn't seem aware I'd been hurt, at first. Hell, I could barely see my hand in that light. Then I felt a pulse of her power, washing over the walls. I stopped and waited for it to subside before tentatively probeing with my hand, I found the wall smooth where it had been sharp.

So, she was in there somewhere. It was easy to forget, "Huh, thanks."

I wondered if that took effort. How much control did she actually have? She was smoothing back the barbs here, but, I didn't think she had consciously put them there to begin with. I had to wonder if making it less dangerous here meant that her power would make it more dangrous elsewhere.

We reached the flickering light to find it was a four-way intersection in the hall, with crumbled concrete on the flickering light. There were no other lights to be seen. I turned in a circle but each direction was the same and I was lost, I was lost in this place and it was pathless, aimless, and murky.

Deep breath, take stock. I still had the breeze on my face. I could navigate with that and tell where I was in relation to the padded room. I thought some more, and touched on that sense of elsewhere.

Basilisk- I spoken to her, touched her, but Labyrinth's power had reset my perceptions. To my surprise, I could still sense her, vaguely. I looked for more- senses of direction and familiarity. I'd talked to Heather, walked around with her, had a group meeting with her- and a vague sense of direction lingered. No exactly a sense of her, or Nick. They were… more like… a 'that way' with a wave of a hand. That's what it felt like.

Doctor Yamada, Doctor Selmy, I was more familiar with them but they might have been further away… it was hard to tell? Mimi I could sense a little, and I'd only talked to her once and never actually touched her, so that was a little strange.

Maybe it was because I was touching Labyrinth? Could that impact my ability to sense through her interference? Sense people caught inside her range? I glanced at Labyrinth, standing mutely by my side, hand still fisted in my sleeve and my own hand a firm grip on her wrist as well.

-Fear, despair, resentment, sentiment. Conceptual shaping. Nature of creation formed by underlying ideas and emotions. Determines form, function. Created dimensional impression altered by mental state-

"Okay." I breathed, "Okay, just need to find a way out of here… we got this." I gave her a smile, and I could feel how it helped a bit.

I decided to head straight. Keep the wind at my face, use that as a reference. I started moving, tugging Labyrinth along behind me, and after a few false, stumbling steps, she followed.

"So… Uh, I never really got to be a hero or make a costume or anything. Getting powers was kind of messy for me."

Labyrinth didn't say anything.

"… What was it like for you? I mean… I've been talking through it, and I think parahumans getting powers isn't fun in general? I've never been clear on that, it varies. I know it wasn't fun for me." We came to another intersection, I turned right, following the wind. I glanced at Labyrinth. She was still completely silent, but she was looking at me and blinked back slowly. I took it as a good sign.

I kept talking, filling up the silence. "I read a lot, because I don't sleep anymore. A lot about powers and stuff online. It's called a trigger event, when we get our powers. There's all kinds of theories about how it works. Some of them are really crazy."

"You know, there's a theory that parahumans with worse trigger events are stronger?" I glanced up at the barbed wire and chains, "Because I'm wondering what yours was."

Was this how she saw Alchemilla? Her power... What I read off- it shaped her worlds; she imagined them, and it based them around her emotions, it filled in the blanks. She hated it here, so it made her world an ugly, hateful place, which made her hate it more, which made it uglier. And so on.

I wondered how she made her beautiful ruin, what it meant to her. What it signified.

We passed another room, brightly lit and padded, with brown stains on the walls... Another, a shower room with all the fixtures torn out, grimy mirrored windows lined a level above the showers, looking down on the stalls.

"Is it like this, for real?" I asked. I glanced at Labyrinth, her head was bowed, shoulders pulled in. "I guess it dosn't matter. It is for you, isn't it?"

It was, wasn't it?

My train of thought trailed off, the hall opened up into a room. Collapsed shelves covered with dust and loose papers, cabinets with almost all their doors missing. The few that remained hung open from a single hinge. There were lights but they were dim, sickly discolored florescent tubes that cast everything in shadows, and another doorway leading into another room loomed on the far side of the room, dark and ominous and empty. It was a dark room. A deep-seated hidbrain instinct held that dark rooms held bad things.

I took an experimental step into the mess, poking at the papers. There were folders mixed in with it all. File folders. Loose pages and graphs and diagrams and tables with a lot of jargon I could not make heads or tails of. What a mess.

I maneuvered Labyrinth to a collapsed shelf and sat her down before turning my attention to the contents of the shelf all around us. I squatted down and gingerly tugged a folder out. Case Number, it read. I opened it and skimmed the first page…

Vironic? I picked up another. Hearthstone. Another, Storm Eagle. They were patient records. This was an archive. I sat, cross-legged, and started picking through them.

Were these real, or where they reproductions based on Labyrinth's shaped world? Or maybe there was bleed-through? Were these actual patient records, or some kind of fantastical embellishment from watching too many horror movies? Both? Neither? Would her power fill in with something real if she hadn't thought of it, leave it in as long as it still filled the general theme? Did it matter?

I sighed.

Labyrinth sat on the cabinet, kicking her feet a little in the dust, arms crossed over her stomach.

"Is... Is this your power too?" I asked, "All... this?"

Labyrinth stopped scuffing her feet in the papers, but said nothing, just looked at me. I sighed.

"I always imagined getting powers to be this big moment. When I stopped being boreing me and became something more interesting." I said, moodly, "Not being stuck here...I wanted to be a hero. Emma and I, we used to pretend we were hroes, had powers. That we could fly. Mom and... and Dad, took me out to the big Protectorate events, and I got to meets Wards."

"I really wish I could fly..." I sat, silent for a while.

"Last time I saw Emma and Mom was right after the hospital. They were seeing me off because I killed someone, by accident. That's why I'm here."

"But I'm wondering if I had it good. In a way." I glanced at Labyrinth, she was still looking at me, "I guess whatever gave you your powers, that never really ended. Something terrible happened, and it didn't really end, it just... it changed shape. So you're like this, and every day is a reminder of it." I thought about Sveta.

"I actually heard about you from another patient, Mimi. Burnscar?" I said, and smiled, "You're friends, right?"

There was a shiver in her power, and a complicated impression of emotions. I tried to decipher that for a moment, "I've been trying to mak friends here, a Alchemilla. There's Heather and Nick, in my wing. I guess Charnel sort of counts too? I had another friend too, but... one of the other patients killed him. I know I'd give a lot to have Emma here, to be able to talk to her. She's my best friend."

Labyrinth down at her feet. I could feel a vague knot of resentment, frustration, and saddness all kind of confused together. It was interesting, to try and sense using only my power. My eyes wandered to the walls, where fabric was gradually emergeing over the concrete, over the ceiling, over the pipes. The padded room again. The barbed wire and chains were back, snaking through the seams.

"...Your power is a lot like Mimi's. You both have these... spirals. Spirals of negativity. Your emotions feed it, and it just gets worse. And it comes out here, that's so sad..."

"But... Your other world..." I brightened, "Your other world, with the castle, that was beautiful! It felt wonderful to see the sun again, to be outside!"

I turned towards her and settled my legs faceing her, elbows on my knees, "Did Mimi like to see your other world?" I asked.

That was the wrong thing to say, and Labyrinth hunched in, eyes going to the ground, her feet drew in, her knees went to her chest, and her eyes squeezed shut.

"Are- are you okay?"

Labyrinth rocked a little, and I stood, stepping over to her. I could sense...

-anger, frustration, sorrowsaddnesshollow-

-I had no idea what to do about any of it. But I knew someone who would have, so I did what Mom would have done, hugged her.

"It's okey, shh... It's okey..."

Labyrinth tensed, then leaned into it. I...well, I didn't really know what to do next. I ran a hand in circles on her back, let her stay there. Her shoulders hitched. She was crying? I let her stay like that, until she stopped shuddering, and pulled back. Was it my imagination, or did she look a little more... There? With it? Aware?

"You okey?"

Labyrinth didn't say anything, but that was okey. I let her breathe a bit. Maybe she just needed more contact with people? How many visitors did she get in Special Containment? Speaking of breathing... I coughed. The smell of smoke was almost overpowering. In the terrible lighting, everything looked ashy and grey. The air was growing hazey with smoke. Was it just me, or was it getting worse?

A little flame appeared on the ruin of a desk, appeared and snuffed out. A few papers crumpled and shrivled brown.

I grabbed Labyrinth and pulled her away, up to the wll, ready to run.

There was a sense of other-place. This wasn't Labyrinth's world at work, the real asylum was on fire? Or, trying to be... If the real asylum was on fire, but Labyrinth's world was not, would it burn? Would we even see it before it was too late? My mind raced, possabilities and unknowns. What about the air? Big fires sucked all the oxygen out of the air!

The fires were not spreading, simply appearing in little flares all across the room before they died out, embers drifting in the air. It was mezmerizeing, and after I got over the initial shock, beautiful in a way.

"Is this your power too?" I breathed.

"She... See." Labyrinth whispered. It was halting and unsure, and a little rough, rusty like she wasn't used to talking, like her mouth and tongue were trecherous.

I slowly turned my head to her, and stared, "You can talk?" I asked.

Labyrinth opened her mouth and for a moment I thought she'd say something, her throat worked, but she closed her mouth again without speaking.

"You... You don't talk? Can't talk?"

Labyrinth looked at me, "Talk." She said.

I felt a distant sense of-

-hurt, frustrated, saddness, despair-

"Sorry, sorry." I breathed, "Come on. I didn't mean it like that." Looking at Labyrinth, I thought... Maybe she was emergeing from the fugue, a little. She seemed a bit more aware now- holding my gaze steadily, her hands moving to fist in front of her chest.

"Hey." I whispered, "You okay?"

"M-Mimi's angry." Labyrinth said, with effort, face red. Huddled into herself, her feet together at the toes so her legs bowed. She was quivering head to foot, and her gaze was on the ground. "...threw her o-out. N-now...'s sad."

She... Mimi? "You threw her out?"

"Out." Labyrinth nodded slightly, mouth twitching, until she reached some threashold and managed to speak again, "Yelled...me. She c-couldn't see." She struggled around the words thickly for while, before blurting out, "Sky."

She...oh, okay. I blinked and leaned back, opening up my power and letting the influx take me for a moment, my inner voice talking, filling in the gaps.

Labyrinth made worlds, could eject people from her worlds. Mimi mentioned visiting her, back in the cafetria... he power drove her to emotional highs and lows...

Mimi had been in Alchemilla for four years. Labyrinth's power allowed the illussion of being out, of being free. What would that have been like for Mimi? She would have been estatic, but that would have it's own dangers. The excitement, with a power like Mimi's... Mimi could have flared up, shouted, had an emotional swing.

And Labyrinth cut her off, threw her back into the asylum. Burnscar could see the outside, the sky, and Labyrinth took that from her. "Sky."

Maybe she was frightened, maybe Mimi... Maybe she had gotten violent... But I remembered how the sky had looked, overhead, after the cave opened up; and I remembered Mimi had been in Alchemilla for four years, four long years.

"That's cruel." I said. I didn't think I'd said it with much heat until I looked at Labyrinth, and she shrank back.

"N- n- n-." she stuttered until she stalled out and fell silent. She was afraid.

"It's... It's okay, I'm not angry," I said, "But, aren't you her friend?"

Labyrinth looked away.

I sighed, rubbing the bridge of my nose, then pulled Labyrinth into a one-armed hug where we sat against the wall. She stiffened, and gave a little gasp, but didn't pull away and I could feel the grateful swell of emotion that followed.

"This place makes me tired." I said, breathing and meaning every word.

The fires continued to flicker on the edges and fringes. Was that Mimi's handiwork? I wasn't sure how her power interacted with Labyrinth's, how damageing one world would effect the other, or how fire spread across from one world to another or... I was struck with a strange dissonance, an echo of one place in another. My power hinted at energy cascadeing in, erupting from a bottomless source...

"So, Mimi, Burnscar, she is doing this?" I managed after a beat, pointing to the lights, the flames, "Wait, she's here? Now?"

"Burn." Labyrinth said. Right.

"Okey."

I only met her once, and I didn't know her very well. But, I leaned back, resting the back of my head against the wall and closeing my eyes, I could sense her, she was nearby. ...Probably.

"She said you were her only friend." I said, "But... You don't like her?" I opened my eyes.

Labyrinth's eyes didn't rise from a fixed spot on the floor, the set of her shoulders and her lowered gaze, drawn back and in. "She... Yells." She said it slowly, carefully, like each word took some effort, but it was perfectly clear this time, no stuttering or dropping words.

I frowned, an idea was forming. "Can you sense things in your world, where she is? Wait, no, you said you threw her out..." Labyrinth didn't say anything, and I could feel her frustration. "I want to try and find her, I want to talk to her," I said, "I'm going to talk to her." I said it before I'd decided, but in saying it my resolve stiffened.

Labyrinth looked up and stared. Then, she reached up and tapped my chin with her finger. I felt it coming, a shifting in her power, and jerked back, startled. Even so, the world settled in a way I could't define, detains falling into place, skewed, except this was how they really were.

The light had changed, the walls were not concrete, instead they were covered with scorched wood paneling, the floor was covered in soaked carpet. The smoke thickened and blacked, and became acrid; the storm of burning papers was gone. There were no chains or barbed wire overhead, it was raining down water, dispensed by a network of sprinklers instead. The room was seared and blacked. The lights left in its wake flickered fitfully, weakly, but the light cast through the doorway was brighter, and flickered orange.

I could hear the distant wail of a fire alarm, and the crackle of the fire. I took it all in with darting eyes and turned back to Labyrinth, bewildered with water running down my face. But she just let go of my chin and leaned back, staring mutely back at me.

How did it work? Was she some kind of constant, present in both worlds, and able to move through one or the other at will? Tune a world in or out? "Uh. Thanks?"

Labyrinth stared at me, unblinking as the sprinklers rained down on her.

"Um. Okey. Stay here, I'll go looking for her. I'll be back, okey?" I gave her my best reassuring smile, but Labyrinth did not smile back.

(•͈⌔•͈ ツ

The records room was a burnt out husk, everything was reduced to cinders that left black soot behind at a touch, the skeletns of metal filing cabinets, a fine coating of ash, and it was all still warm. Despite the water pouring down, it was still warm. I followed the line of an aisle between cabines through a frame with hinges but no door any more. Outside was a hallway, but not concrete, and no dark holes covered with sharp mesh- there was fire-frosted glass and charred wood. It looked like it had been windows looking in on a cubicle farm.

By now I had no idea what route had brought us from the cell to the records room, it was all twisted up in the riddle of Labyrinth's world, and I wasn't even close to deciphering that.

The fire was still smoldering here, and I walked down the hall wondering if I'd stop and look at another pile of charred wood and wire and realize it had been a person. But even as I wondered that, I realized the char was giving way to unburnt wood again. The sprinklers were still running, but I reached out and touched the panneled wood, leaveing a sooty handprint behind to be washed away in the spray.

I turned a corner and another line of windows, and neat rowns of offices behind them; There was a fire still burning here, behind the glass, the leaping flames drew my eyes imeadiately; because of this, I was paying attention when the wall exploded. A burst of steam and smoke and fire- I was knocked over on my back and lay stunned until I realized my sleeve was on fire, my hair too, and I rolled franticaly away from the conflagaration, stiffleig the flame. Suddenly, everywere the wood was blackening and smokeing.

I didn't really feel any pain, but maybe that was the adrenaline, and I panted as my heart thundered in my ears. The temperature was blistering, a draft of heat and force hitting my face, like shoving my face in an oven, my hair slicked to my forehead with sweat. I could feel my sweat drying and my skin tightening as I fought for space with the unforgiving heat. "Okay. Okayokayokay." I whispered, "We're okay, don't worry. We are. Fine."

A twinge, from my arm, where I'd caught fire. Ah, there it was, the pain. I gasped, huddling around my arm, tears pricking in the corners of my eyes. I sobbed. My arm was a mess; the skin was broken, the sleeve was mostly gone and left me angry red and bloody or blistering from my wrist past my elbow, the fabric had actually melted to my skin all across my shoulder. My ribs were burnt too, a little. I'd scar.

The smoke was getting thicker, I coughed and the act of coughing sent pain across my ribs and up my arm.

I was so not okey. So not okay.

I scooted back, away from the flames, crawling one painfull foot at a time.

And in the middle of it suddenly there was a girl. She appeared in a flash of fire, and started throwing fireballs at the shelves, shrouded in flames and steam. I blinked at her slowly, because I didn't recognize her at first. And then I did and the sight was worse for it. She was Mimi.

She was on fire. Wreathed in fire. And all around her the office was on fire. The carpet smoked and steamed, and where she stepped it burned and grew in spite of the water, and grew and spread. And when a sodden scrap of paper, caught in the energy of her inferno, slapped acoss her face and stuck, it instantly flared, crumpled into ash, and blew away.

She threw a fireball, and it crashed into a cabinet, another into a desk, sending tumbling. Papers thrown into the air flared into fire all around her.

Mimi stopped, stareing out at what she'd done, her eyes were glowing now, shining like headlights on a car, expression flat. She lowered her hands, and her eyes flared brighter and brighter still, the futile efforts of the sprinkler system made no headway against her flames- she was bolstering them, fanning them with her power. Where the flame might have guttered on the wet wood, under the pouring water, it flared brighter to match her eyes. Brighter. Hotter. I watched, silent and speechless as she walked off through the ruined cabinets, the fire building and growing in her wake unnaturally where she sowed it.

My power's voice catalogued it, told me. As long as she was bolstering her flames, they wouldn't go out. They would burn and burn without fuel until she let them subside.

... She haden't seen me. I... Didn't want to go out there. I swallowed.

There was something... primal about it, inexorable. A wildfire incarnate. The tinny efforts of the sprinkler system were utterly inadaquate compared to Mimi's power, I wasn't even sure it was meaningfully slowing her flames.

Through the pain, I felt curiously calm. It was strange, because I'd been so nervous, trying to talk to Basilisk. Now, lying here, I was already past that, and it left me serene. Mimi had already hurt me, I accepted it. A dim awareness was taking hold over my pain-numbed mind, I understood now, why Wayland Lars had been so frightened, why the other doctors didn't really talk about her. But in thinking that, the spell was broken and I took a shaking breath, shivering and hitching with the effort.

The fire was still expanding.

I toyed with the idea of standing up before I meade the attempt. It hurt. It hurt more than I thought it would, more than I imagined anything could hurt, I shreiked when I let go of the wall and took my first limping step, the effort left me gasping with my good hand on my knee, my burned arm hanging limp by my side. The smoke made my eyes water even more. I tried to take a step, and had to catch the wall to keep from toppleing. Black was swimming, narrowing my vision every time I breathed in or moved my arm.

"Taylor?"

I looked up. Mimi was standing a few feet away, still standing in the fire, her hair whipping around her face. Other than that, she was pristine, no indication that she was even in the same room as that inferno. Her eyes were still glowing, like two orange coals, but now they were wide with surprise. My curious serenity remained, and I attempted to smile through the pain.

"Hey Mimi." I said.

She gave a little gasp, I was surprised I could hear it.

"Oh... Oh my... My g- Taylor!"

With a gesture, the fire between us parted. A sweeping motion with both hands and it simply went out, leaving charred black, but no flame. Mimi stepped to me, reaching out and hesitateing. Maybe worried she'd hurt me more.

Or expecting me to draw back, fear her.

Well, I was afraid, but being afraid seemed pretty pointless now, I thought, and held out my good hand. This proved to be a bad idea, as my hand had been rested on the wall, holding me up. I kind of fell against the wall, which pulled a short scream out of me; Mimi immeadiately lept into action. She grabbed my good arm and half carried, half dragged me back the way I'd come. I realized I was barely awake and fading fast.

"Tay- oh Taylor, I'm. I'm so-"

"Mimi," I grit through my teeth, "It's okay."

Breathing was difficult, both because of the pain in my ribs and arm, and because of the smoke but Mimi didn't seem to have a problem with it as she half carried me back the way I'd come. Mimi fretted and mumbled th whole way. I didn't bother counting doorways, or any other means of tracking where I was, and I think I passed out for some of it because suddenly I was in a room filled with washing machines and Mimi was fumbling with a first aid kit.

I lifted my head, groaning with the effort, and startling Mimi so she dropped the kit. She fiddled with the contents while I looked around.

("Oh no, it's not sterile now! Is there... is there any more-")

It looked like a laundromat, several rows of washing machines and a wall of enourmous industrial size tumble dryers. Cheap linolium tiles and concrete walls. A couple of laundry carts full of sheets. Shelves full of plain brown boxes and detergents in the back, and a mop sink. I'd been laid on a countertop, one hastily cleared by Mimi, if the clutter of boxed soapflakes and linens littering the floor was any clue. My arm and side were packed with towels soaked with cold water.

But, what was most interesting to me was Labyrinth, seated on a chair stareing at me, kicking her feet slowly back and forth and blinking.

"Hi." I said, tiredly.

"Hi." Labyrinth parroted back.

"Oh!" Mimi returned, arms full of bandages and tubes of creams, "T-Taylor! I found, Elle, and, um..."

"Where is this?" I asked.

"Its, it's specialized containment's laundry room, I think." Mimi said, "Is it just your arm and feet? Are you burned anywhere else?"

I haden't reaized my feet where burnt, "My ribs."

Mimi glanced at my shoulder, over my arm, "Um, I'm going to need to cut your shirt off, okay?" She held up a pair of really meaty scissors.

"I-" I raised my head and was immeadiately reminded why I didn't have the strength to run away or fight her off, "Go ahead." I sighed.

Mimi started by pulling me up into a sitting possition, then sitting behind me on the counter and propping me up when I almost fell, before running the scissors up my back to my collar. That hurt. The towels had been laid mostly on unbroken skin, but some of the blisters had popped and the damp skin unerneith stuck to the fabric. After she opened my shirt, she trimmed any loose scraps of fabric still attached to the sleeve. I thought the shoulder would stymie her, but she only paused to tug, gently and delicately, at the edges before abandoning it.

"I don't know how to pull out fabric melted to skin yet," She mumbled, "Sorry." I was very gratfule she didn't try.

Next I lay back down, on my good side, and put on a pair of gloves from the first aid kit. She started dabbing my arm with cream from a tube from the kit, cleaning it.

"Sorry, sorry, sorry." She whispered as I bit my tongue to keep from screaming.

Her fumbling aside, her actions were practiced, rote. She understood what she was doing, even if she haden't done it often. "I've had some classes..." she mumbled, when I asked. I imagined with powers like hers she must have a lot of experience treating burns. She bandaged the broken skin, wrapped it loosely; then smeared cream on my whole arm, on my ribs. My power informed me of infection fighting qualities, of pain soothing compounds.

She rubbed down some red marks on my feet that were probably first degree burns but paled in comparison to the ones on my arm, and a couple spots on my back that were probably from landing on live cinders, I hardly even felt that part. After she finished my feet, she pulled a fresh shirt from on of the drying machines for me to slip on over what remained, and a pair of hall slippers.

"Sorry," Mimi mumbled.

"It's all right." I said, sitting up. It... was a bit easier, Mimi was actually pretty good. Or maybe I'd just been in that much pain. I took a deep breath, and it put tears in the corners of my eyes, I coughed, "Thanks for getting me out of there."

"Mmm." She fidgeted, "That's all I can do. You need a real Doctor."

I glanced at Labyrinth, who was still sitting on the chair, still stareing at me, "All right. Labyrinth, do you know how to turn off your power?"

Labyrinth didn't say anything, just sat and stared back. I tried reading off her, but the result was... cloudy. I didn't think she could, exactly. Not all at once.

"Her name's Elle..." Mimi muttered, and fidgited when I looked at her, "She, um, doesn't really like Labyrinth either."

"Oh." I glanced at Elle, there was a faint sensation of gratitude, familiarity, kinship. Elle blinked back at Mimi, then turned to me, fisting her hands in her pant legs. Still that complicated tumble of emotions.

I looked at Mimi, "Everyone else is stll in her world, right?"

Mimi flinched, "Um, yes."

I groaned, then gingerly levered myself onto my feet. Mimi fluttered anxiously.

"So, this is Alchemilla," good, good, "Let's go find some Doctors." I said, then coughed, "Give me a hand? I can walk... Just, not very fast."

Life Opens a New Chapter for Me
All right.

I'm in a writer's block. The next chapter is about 80% done, but I just can't muster the energy to continue it at the moment. Haven't for about two weeks.

Is this a notice of discontinuation? NO.

I'm taking a break to write a side-story. I was originally going to use it at a latter point, but it was always going to be a little awkward. And, besides, technically this is more or less the point in the timeline where it happens.

I've been toying with the idea of a side-story for a while now anyway.

Probably going to put this in a different thread.

Remember this post?

Dust lies thick in the room. So much so, it gives every surface a ghostly velvet finish. The windows are boarded up, the furniture is draped with sheets. The hearth is cold. The little reading table is bare.

The silence is perfect, and has been for a very long time.

Footsteps on the stair. At first quiet, then louder. A man opens the door - the hinges squeal in protest - disturbing the peace. He pokes his head in, eyebrows rising in surprise. the room is familiar to him, but also new and strange, as only a place long undisturbed except in memory might be.

The man opens the door the rest of the way and surveys the room several minutes. He is bearded and long haired, portly or fat, and wears glasses. His clothing is not new. Neither are his shoes. He looks tired.

But he shrugs and reaches behind the door for the broom.

He cleans the room. The dust is wiped away to reveal wood and stone, the windows are opened to let good light in, and the sheets are removed to reveal a comfortable pair of chairs. The upholstery is a little worn with love, and use, and age.

The man cleans the room, a quiet hum or whistle accompanying his work from time to time. When all is put in order he lights a fire in the hearth. There.
The man stands back and surveys his work with a strange sadness. It is a pensive emotion. Melancholy. He sets the broom back in the place it belongs, and sinks into one of the chairs with an appreciative groan.

For several long beats he sits there, resting his heels, leaning his head back, eyes closed.

"I'm not young anymore," He says suddenly.

The man opens his eyes and leans foreword. "Pull up a chair? We have a lot to talk about, you and I."

He waves a hand to the second chair. His audience takes a seat. "Would you like some water? No? Well, feel free to refresh yourself if you feel the need," The man says. He drums his fingers on the arm of the chair. "First off, this isn't me announcing this story is coming back. Not the way you're thinking.

"I'm not young any more, and I have reached the point where I cannot devote a large amount of time to something I am not getting paid for. I got some things in my future I need to start working towards or they'll never happen.

The man stares into the heart a little while, watching the fire dance. "You know? It's funny... I thought I was wasting my time and my life all this while, but I think It's just been what needed to happen. To make this what it is."

He sighs.

"So, to put it in plain terms: Is this story dead? No. Am I going to be updating it here? Also no." He says. "If you looked on my profile you'll know that I've graduated this story. the material I have I intend to repurpose as original work.

"It started with a side story for Bakuda, one that I was writing to take a break from Bird. I thought it would take a month or two and be a few thousand words. Maybe. But by the time I came up for air, it was a solid 80K+ and I realized that I'd made 95% of it up whole cloth.

"I had an epiphany. and then all through covid I worked on it. And then after covid. and for the last eight months I've been editing it and learning how to publish it...

The man laughs a bit in bafflement. "Imagine that? Thing is, this story started off as Semtex back in March of '14. Ten years ago, just about.

"I kind of always thought I'd come back to it, I never really give up on projects, you know? I just coopt them into new, better work. I just never imagined it would be like this..."

The man laughs: when he is done laughing, he leans back, enjoying his chair again. "I wanted to thank some people."

I want to thank you, Ziel. You stuck by me, even when I made frankly unfair demands on your time. I really needed to believe someone was in my corner. For once.

And you were. That means a lot to me.

I want to thank jason1stlegion. You were the first to ask if I would come back to Bird. You were very polite, and asked at a time when I needed to know someone was following Bird, actively waiting for more.

I want to thank @LostDemiurge. You gave me advice and recommended an incredible editor that saved this project from my exhausted and burnt-out mistakes. She is a hero, sir. And you are a gentleman. Thank you.

I want to thank WordsWordsWords for scientific advice and generally better understanding of physics and science doohickys. My knowledge is limited so another perspective was very welcome.

I want to thank Casualfarmer, RavensDagger, and chrisnuttall for their advice and help as veterans in the industry. I am a stranger in this strange land and needed a guide, and you guys helped me...

And I want to thank everyone who cared enough to read my rough drafts, say a kind word, post a comment, or who left a like. I may never have become a big name in the community, but I tried. And some of you noticed.

BlueNine, QuantumWhales, Materia-Blade, Missingnoleader, Noxturne90, Ryuugi, Xicree

The man stands, clapping his hands.

"As this work directly lead to my origional work and has a lot in common with it, I'll be putting up notices here when I have new books. The Mods have given the go-ahead. In the meantime, I would like to announce, with great anticipation:

The Precipice: Grey Hours #1

"Hopefully the first of many..." He sets the book on the little reading table and stars down at it. He shifts, fidgets - either nervous or embarrassed. Perhaps both.

When he speaks, he's a little choked. "It's no Tolkien but it's mine. I hope it can make your day a little better." The man blinks, hard. Several times. But he smiles.

Then he walks to the door.

At the threashold, he looks back at the cheery hearth, the little table, and the comfortable chairs.

With a firm but happy - satisfied - nod he closes the door.

THE BEGINNING

Last edited:
I only discovered this today, but despite walking blindly here, I found myself engaged deeply in the events and interactions of the various characters, I think that you write wonderfully.

Back