Best "boomer shooters" you have played?

I'm not sure I'd recommend Ion Fury. From what I hear, the gameplay is great, but the developers might be pieces of shit - transphobic and homophobic. They apparently had a bunch of shit in the game they'd promised to remove, but after getting review bombed for 'censorship' by The Gamers, walked back their promise and kept it in. They'd promised to donate $10,000 to an LGBTQ anti-suicide charity as well, but I can't find out if they did or not.

Ultimately, it's up to you if you want to reward actions and companies like that with your business.

This kept me from playing it from awhile, but some mitigating factors worth considering are that the stuff they ended up keeping in the game were not actually that bad to begin with and not only did they follow through with the donation but also argued about it with The Gamers who said they shouldn't on Twitter. So, eh? I'll be honest, I, famously among my friends, grasp at straws to give people the benefit of the doubt as it is because it's my way of coping with a world that fears and hates me, and it's such a good fucking game that I was even more inclined to seek an excuse for forking over my money, so you may want to disregard my opinion, but that's how I justified it.

They're transphobic as hell for subjecting me, The Trans, to that dogshit DLC though. Fucking awful.

I also thought the transphobia crisis over Cyberpunk 2077 wasn't even a problem at all but I fully stand by that ideologically even now that I kind of hate the game.

Last edited:
A lot of games sadly try to pander to the "anti-woke" crowd. Doom Eternal, a game I really enjoy, also had the annoying "Earth is the melting pot of the universe!" joke which made me roll my eyes.

A lot of games sadly try to pander to the "anti-woke" crowd. Doom Eternal, a game I really enjoy, also had the annoying "Earth is the melting pot of the universe!" joke which made me roll my eyes.

Not just "a lot of games", it's a problem the boomer shooter fandom specifically has! Of course retro media based around mindless violence from an era where the coolest thing ever was South Park has that grime all over it. It makes one appreciate the developers that are proactively progressive. Wait until a month after Mullet Mad Jack has released to tell me HAMMER95 tweeted Blue Lives Matter or I'll become an alcoholic over night.

Not just "a lot of games", it's a problem the boomer shooter fandom specifically has! Of course retro media based around mindless violence from an era where the coolest thing ever was South Park has that grime all over it. It makes one appreciate the developers that are proactively progressive. Wait until a month after Mullet Mad Jack has released to tell me HAMMER95 tweeted Blue Lives Matter or I'll become an alcoholic over night.
Well for what it's worth, John Romero is an outspoken advocate for trans rights and Indigenous representation in games.

Well for what it's worth, John Romero is an outspoken advocate for trans rights and Indigenous representation in games.

And I love him with all my heart. Stunningly beautiful guy, both physically and spiritually. It makes me feel terrible I straight-up cannot play Doom without it being heavily modded because the mazes of actual Doom-era games drive me completely insane and don't motivate me to continue playing at all. Slap on the Hell on Earth Starter Pack/Extermination Day, on the other hand, and I lose days to it.

I'm a fake Doom fan orz. Really more of a Build gal.

Last edited:
Has anyone played Shadow Warrior 3? I've heard it's combat is a lot like Doom Eternal.

That said, everything about the story and characters looks extremely annoying.

Has anyone played Shadow Warrior 3? I've heard it's combat is a lot like Doom Eternal.

That said, everything about the story and characters looks extremely annoying.
I haven't gotten to play Shadow Warrior 3 yet, but I have played the previous two games and honestly? I kinda love Lo Wang in these games. He's such a goober.

I would recommend Shadow Warrior 2013 pretty easily, but not so much the sequel. SW2's gameplay has some good stuff, but it's based around some ideas that I think just don't quite work. I've heard good things about SW3 on that front, though. I'll get to it eventually...

Personally, I found Shadow Warrior 2 to be much more fun than the first game, but switching to procedural generation for levels was a mistake and the writing isn't very good. Lo Wang is a huge jerk, having backslid after the end of the first game, and Kamiko is a brat. Which is understandable when you consider her circumstances, but still. But the combat is great fun.

It runs in ZDoom or any compatible engine IIRC, and I'm sure there's a Mac port available. I don't know the details of installing programs on Mac but once you have the engine I know there are graphical launchers you can use, or you could go to the Terminal and tell the engine to run the Ashes package with a command like (assuming you install GZDoom, since that's what I used, others should be similar)

gzdoom -file /path/to/ashes.pk3

Last edited:
Errant Signal's videos are always super solid. He's been slowly doing a series called 'Children of DOOM' that traces a lot of key moments in FPS design over the years that I'd highly recommend checking out. He looks more deeply into one game per year, while briefly touching on other key points from those years.

Not entirely sure how many more videos he's gonna kick out for that series, but I'd be kind of surprised if it extended more than a few years into the 2000s before he drops it. I could see him covering the original Halo, but probably not too much past that.

Errant Signal's videos are always super solid. He's been slowly doing a series called 'Children of DOOM' that traces a lot of key moments in FPS design over the years that I'd highly recommend checking out. He looks more deeply into one game per year, while briefly touching on other key points from those years.
Yeah I've been following that series, it's neat how he shines a light on a lot of largely forgotten games. I can't wait for his 1999 video - by my count there's gonna be at least three major releases: System Shock 2, Unreal Tournament, and Quake III: Arena.

I'm also a fan of his videos in general - he's one of the few gaming youtubers I can stand.

I am deeply fond of Tribes , but Hi-rez managed Ascend about as well as a alcoholic heroin-addict manages a children's baseball team.
I don't know who these Prophecy studios people are, and can't find anything about them.
I'll probaböy play it anyway, the sucker that I am.
Prophecy is a studio spun off of Hi-Rez.

So it's still in the same hands as before, really.

For anyone who has two hours to spare, I highly recommend this video essay by Noah Gervais analyzing the Quake series' story (yes, really). Among other things, he attempts to bridge the gap between Quake 1 and 2, previously thought to be completely unrelated. I found this surprisingly compelling despite having played neither at length - I've only really spent a lot of time with Quake III: Arena, which I discovered super late in the late 2000s, and Quake Live.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDBDI35NjQg&ab_channel=NoahCaldwell-Gervais

I also love Ultrakill. Beat it all on standard, then beat it all on violent. Now I'm going for P ranks.

It's really fun being able to slide around the place and play with some movement tech.

Update: I've been playing the Selaco demo and it's great. The fact that it's made on a nearly 20 year old engine is amazing. That said, it is less of a "boomer shooter" as MoogleEmpMog said - there's a lot more cover involved.

I've also been replaying parts of Turbo Overkill, which is still ridiculously fun. The chainlaw legs and chainsaw arms are ridiculously fun to use and the Ion Cannon is maybe my favorite gun in a first person shooter. Using it literally feels like calling down the wrath of the heavens.

Last edited:
I've finally been playing Turbo Overkill after picking it up in a Humble bundle and it sure is one of the most video games ever made.

The weapons are so good that I genuinely forget I have a rocket launcher sometimes.

I've finally been playing Turbo Overkill after picking it up in a Humble bundle and it sure is one of the most video games ever made.

The weapons are so good that I genuinely forget I have a rocket launcher sometimes.
Emphasis on most.

That said, what do you think of the weapon sounds? They are fun as hell to use but I thought some of the weapons and explosions strangely lack a bit of impact, audio-wise.

Emphasis on most.

That said, what do you think of the weapon sounds? They are fun as hell to use but I thought some of the weapons and explosions strangely lack a bit of impact, audio-wise.
Yeah, I think that's part of why I forget about the rocket launcher. The detonation sound is kinda weak.

Yeah, I think that's part of why I forget about the rocket launcher. The detonation sound is kinda weak.
If I have any complaint about the combat it's that, some of the weapon sounds are underwhelming. Everything else is great though - I like how enemies explode into absurd amounts of gore, and the chainsaw leg is absolutely bonkers.

Has anyone played Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem? I heard Serious Sam 4 is pretty bad but this standalone expansion is quite good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steam is having a big FPS sale right now and a lot of pretty great boomer shooters are on sale, some up to 80%. Some of the games on sale that I really like include Turbo Overkill, Dusk, Ultrakill, and Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun. If you ever dreamed of having a chainsaw leg, now's the time!

I also took the opportunity to purchase Shadow Warrior 3 which is a lot of fun, though as I suspected the dialogue is really annoying.

Back