Best "boomer shooters" you have played?

This seems to be the closest thing to a boomer shooter thread we have, so I hope it's okay if I mention that Ultrakill just got a big update including a new difficulty and a whole bunch of new weapon variants.

This seems to be the closest thing to a boomer shooter thread we have, so I hope it's okay if I mention that Ultrakill just got a big update including a new difficulty and a whole bunch of new weapon variants.
And 7-S, of which all I will say here is "fucking Hakita."

I love the secret levels.

Ion Fury is the GOAT but the DLC, Aftershock, was fucking abysmal.
After some debate, I ended up caving in and buying Ion Fury. It's a lot of fun but it's also brutal. I tried playing on the third difficulty setting for a bit, but after getting absolutely bodied I had to restart on the second difficulty.

One of these days I'll be good enough to make progress in Ultrakill.

As for other games on my radar, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Selaco. I've replayed the demo multiple times and it's epic. I've also been playing Quake Champions, which I honestly feel is underrated. Server issues are pretty bad though, and every time I connect to a match chances are 50/50 that the game just crashes.

Here's the Selaco trailer by the way:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc4irWHz1oc

Last edited:
As for other games on my radar, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Selaco. I've replayed the demo multiple times and it's epic. I've also been playing Quake Champions, which I honestly feel is underrated. Server issues are pretty bad though, and every time I connect to a match chances are 50/50 that the game just crashes.
Quake Champions is really good. I've put something like 130 hours into it, but I kinda hit a point where I didn't want to play anything but duels, which I wouldn't really want to play unless I can devote some serious time and energy to improving at...and all my competitive drive is focused on fighting games nowadays.

Quake Champions is really good. I've put something like 130 hours into it, but I kinda hit a point where I didn't want to play anything but duels, which I wouldn't really want to play unless I can devote some serious time and energy to improving at...and all my competitive drive is focused on fighting games nowadays.
Truthfully I am terrible at the game. I consider a successful game one in which I get more than 5 frags, and an exceptional game one where I don't come in dead last. It's a lot of fun though.

Also the art and visuals in Quake Champions are amazing. The Church of Azathoth or the redesigned Longest Yard look so cool.

Prodeus is a gorgeous voxel visual feast. Gameplay-wise, my knock on it is that it hews too close to Doom 2. The majority of the enemies can be mapped one-to-one with a Doom equivalent, which makes it feel more like a mod than some actual Doom mods. On the other hand, the weapon selection is great, the official levels are (mostly) great -- very secret heavy, which I love -- and it's the only one of these I've seen that really embraces the mapping community. It held mapping contests even in early access and continues to do so, with great results.
Update: I've been playing Prodeus. It's great so far, and it's amazing visually, but you're right - it is kind of hilarious how the enemies are basically re-skins of Doom. Zombies, possessed soldiers, imps throwing fireballs, demons that charge at you, floating enemies that throw exploding homing enemies at you, etc. Hey, it wears its influences on its sleeve.

Last edited:
Back